Shovelgloving WITHOUT the hammer???

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
mjohnson121

Shovelgloving WITHOUT the hammer???

Post by mjohnson121 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:42 pm

I'm not a regular SGer but plan to start incorporating it back (did it for awhile last winter, sporadically) into my bodyweight exercise routine (or alternating days or whatever).

Anyways, I sure don't mean to undermine using the sledgehammer, but does anyone else shovelglove WITHOUT a sledgehammer, but rather using a dumbbell in each hand (for example, I use a 6lb weight in each hand and hold the wrists together to simulate holding the handle of a hammer)? I know I'm missing out on some of the ADVANTAGES of decreased leverage by not having a weight swinging out on the end of a length of handle, but I still feel like it gives me a good workout (or at least a good supplement) and it feels safer on my back and to the general surroundings (computer equipment and cats in my office).

So, my question is anyone else doing something like this? Also, perhaps for the more timid and safety-conscious(ie, paranoid) this would be a good way to "test the waters" and build up strength for the "real deal"?

-Mark

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:17 pm

Hi Mark,

I don't do this, but why not? I don't imagine it'll be quite as fun as using a real sledge, but it beats pumping out curls, etc.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

Reinhard

Kevin

I wonder

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:55 pm

I wonder if it will be as much "fun". It's harder to pretend that you are working.

On the other hand, you might be right: it might be safer.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

mjohnson121

Post by mjohnson121 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:50 pm

Thanks guys! I agree, it probably won't be as much fun....and part of me still wants to try it with a real one...I'll try it this way for now and report back in a couple months on it!

-Mark

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:29 pm

Yes, I have done this, and yes, it still works.

Sometimes the bare wood handle is too much for my middle-aged hands, so I switch to a pair of 5 pound foam-cushioned dumbbells. I just keep the same movements and the same mental images and it's all fine.

mjohnson121

Post by mjohnson121 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:10 am

Ok, so I've got a couple of shovelglove (w/2 6lb dumbbells) sessions under my (ever decreasing!) belt and here is what I've found:

1) It does seem to be missing a little "something" when doing the motions, but this is made up for with increased concentration and imagination

2) I have been pleasently sore (suprsingly sore in the 'ol biceps considering I'm only using 2 6lb dumbbells)

3) I "discovered" a new form of shovelgloving: Blacksmithing! Holding a weight in each hand, one arm is holding the object to be (errr, for the lack of correct blacksmithing vocabulary) forged at about "anvil" height and the other hand is the hammer. This is actually pretty fun! So even if you're a traditionial SGer, this might be a good thing for variety. I use rubber clad dumbbells and even tap the forged item with the "hammer" and it provides a pleasant kind of "feedback."

-Mark

mjohnson121

Post by mjohnson121 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:11 pm

Oh, here is another thing I found that is fun if you're using dumbbells (I suppose with modification it could be done with the sledge as well):

When chopping wood, every so often I stop, turn to the side, squat down, put my arms (with dumbbells of course) out, "grab" some more firewood, stand up, turn back to where I'm chopping wood, place the "wood" and continue chopping.

-Mark

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:33 pm

Thanks for the update, Mark. Sounds pretty good. I'm sure you're not the only person who's ever going to want to do this, so this is helpful.

I like the "blacksmith." I was nailing in a loose floorboard this morning and thought how if the hammer were just a bit heavier, it would make a great one handed shovelglove. I'm sure such hammers much exist... might be a good compromise between a sledge and dumbells.

Reinhard