Back again, bigger than ever

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Back again, bigger than ever

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Well the title says it all. I've known about and stuck to NoS since Dec 2006, but we are military, and it seems every move throws me off. Add to that I homeschool my two young kids, and they can be a handful, and the stress from that leads me to the kitchen. Literally, I can help them with a disagreement or they can get me nervous to the point that I automatically head to the kitchen and eat.

I eat gluten free, and try to eat paleo style, but I pretty much graze all day and every little stress sends me to snack to calm down. Snacks are never naughty to me lol

So this is supposed to be our final move (#12 in 17 years). And I'm determined to get it together. We are having to go thru the stress of getting used to a new house, town, the search for friends...

Anyway, trying to get through the changes, it's been hard on the kids and on me as well.

Any new ideas for S's or is it the standard vanilla NoS?
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Thalia

Post by Thalia » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi Shamrock! I remember you well. I'm back also, after a stressful year for various unpleasant reasons. I just sort of lost my resistance to crappy meals and permasnacking, so I'm having to get back on the wagon.

IMO -- vanilla No S, especially to start. And it's the same old concept, no new bells and whistles. Not like Weight Watchers, which trots out a new program every year! That always made me think, what, you're now saying that the one I just paid you for last year was crap?

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:21 pm

When you're stressed, don't go to the kitchen. Go a different direction -- outdoors, maybe!

I'm paraphrasing from French Kids Eat Everything by Karen Le Billon: Avoid emotional eating or eating when you're stressed. Food isn't a pacifier, a distraction, a bribe, a reward or substitute for anything else.

Just stick to vanilla No-S.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:25 pm

I binged my way up to my highest weight ever after I became a teacher in the public schools after age 40. I sometimes bought big bags of M & M's on the way to school and ate handfuls of them before, during, and after school, then followed it up with stops on the way home for more junk and more eating all evening. My job is still a big strain on me. I've never gotten used to the difficulties of dealing with resistant teens. But I rarely eat over it. Now, eating often still occurs to me right at the end of the school day, but it seems more like a remembering an annoying song! It doesn't matter to my eating, and I move on to other things to do. Sometimes I'll have a coffee or something, but I don't even have to do that, much of the time.

We are on your side!
Last edited by oolala53 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:28 pm

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement! I remember you guys as well. Just plugging along today. Kept myself out of the kitchen mostly because my binge on ruffles has left me with a very bad stomach ache. Yikes.

I don't even feel like supper tonight.

See you all tomorrow!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:46 am

Bienvenudos
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Thank you all. I've read had reread your replies and it's keeping me on track!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

BrightAngel

Re: Back again, bigger than ever

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:20 pm

FarmerHal wrote:formerly Shamrockmommy
Hi, I remember you too.
It's good to see you again. :wink:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:38 pm

Welcome back and good luck.

I also had a relapse and am back for round 2. I found it to be much easier the second time around. At this point we already know what to do, we just have to do it. It helps to just realize that No S is the best way to live.

I can imagine that having a constantly changing schedule will have a negative effect on your eating. Be committed to having 3 meals no matter what you are doing.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:50 pm

thank you all, good to see everyone again :)

My stomach and overall mood is SO much better back on NoS. And I'm making each meal 'count' trying to stuff in nutrition- thoughtfully, vs. mindless eating :)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:02 pm

I have also noticed that I think more about nutrition on No S. Because it's a definite three meals, I somehow have more trouble pretending I will fit my veggies in later.

Anna from KC

Post by Anna from KC » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:07 am

Thank you for your inspiration.
Nothing is more important for the
public weal than to form and train
up youth in wisdom and virtue.
Ben Franklin

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:59 am

Welcome back! Good to see you again.

Don't look back with regrets, but enjoy the journey going forward. I do!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Christine

Post by Christine » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi FarmerHal, nice to meet you. I feel for you. I was a military wife (ex-husband) and I got that permasnacking thing down pat -- well, even before he joined the Air Force. I give you credit for homeschooling your kids though!!! I've just started this No S thing last week, and so far so good. Good luck!
I'm a Mac

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:29 pm

I understand your situation completely. I also homeschooled our children from kindergarten through high school graduation and we also moved every year or two. It's tough, I know. Hang in. Vanilla No-S is your best bet Along with friendly support from this board. Don't get discouraged! I'm fighting the Snack Monster, too!
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

noni

Post by noni » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:03 pm

Welcome back FarmerHal, This is my second time with No S as well. The first time was exciting, and you know what happens to exciting. This second time around is easier for me. I'm more relaxed and knowledgeable now and know what works and what doesn't.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:25 am

Welcome Back!

I am also back after an extended away time!

(((((((((Hugs))))))))
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:12 pm

(belated) welcome back! I'm sorry I somehow missed this thread till now. My excuse is one I think you might be able to related to: we had another child in September and I'm just now emerging from the haze of sleep deprivation and frantic overstretchedness on all fronts. I remember you very well and sympathize with your difficulties -- even I, after years of practice, brimming over with founders zeal and all, am tempted to stuff food in my mouth when I'm home alone with the kids for any length of time. I don't (on N-days) but I definitely feel where you're coming from.

The thing that saves me is 1) habit and 2) clarity around the rules.

If you don't think you can handle diving straight in to full-blown vanilla no-s, a good first step might be to firmly commit yourself to stretches of No-s less than a full day. Something like "I'm going to try to do vanilla no-s all day, but I'm 100% committed to no snacking between breakfast and lunch. If I can do that for a full week, then add between lunch and dinner, then finally dinner and bedtime." Just a thought. Might help to ease into it.

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:08 am

A friend of mine home schooled her two children for about a year. She said she used to go out on the back porch of her house and cry a few times a week.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:11 am

Wow. Sorry for your friend! I have my days but not that often. If homeschool days are that bad, something needs to change to better fit the kids and the mom.

I'm doing ok. Lots of things changed since I originally posted this thread. Someday I'll catch up on it!
Thanks all!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:28 pm

reinhard wrote:even I, after years of practice, brimming over with founders zeal and all, am tempted to stuff food in my mouth when I'm home alone with the kids for any length of time.
Well, this is not good. I guess there really is no point where No S obliterates the cravings. I believed that this magic moment would eventually come, but the fact that it hasn't yet, combined with Reinhard's above affirmation, seals the deal that it's something I will always have to fight. Depressing.
oolala53 wrote:A friend of mine home schooled her two children for about a year. She said she used to go out on the back porch of her house and cry a few times a week.
Is it bad that I want to cry a few times a week because I can't have sweets and snacks?

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Well folks since I first made this post, I developed a corn allergy and also just dxd with Lyme disease. So corn is in Everything!! I dropped 12 pounds in a hurry. Also doxycycline kills appetite so I'm good on the diet front for now. Sigh
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:43 pm

FarmerHal wrote:Well folks since I first made this post, I developed a corn allergy and also just dxd with Lyme disease. So corn is in Everything!! I dropped 12 pounds in a hurry. Also doxycycline kills appetite so I'm good on the diet front for now. Sigh
Wow, sorry to learn that. In The Omnivore's Dilemma Michael Pollan wrote "if we are what we eat, we are corn." You're right, it's in everything and it's not only food. That's the bad news.

The good news is that you'll be eating a lot of fresh, unprocessed foods.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:30 am

leafy, I think Reinhard was saying more about the difficulty of handling children than about a continued attachment to food.

I felt that I couldn't even consider mods on S days for over two years, even though I was also very unhappy with my overeating and the rotten aftermath. I felt as if there was a volcano inside of me that would have blown if I thought I was supposed to clamp down on my eating those days. I didn't even want to think about what that meant. I wouldn't let myself even consider tears. And I felt terrible that that seemed true. But I realized it has a lot to do with how I spend my time. But I got tired of the overeating before I solved those other problems.

Try not to dwell on R's statement made in passing. Think more about the fact that he has actually mostly moved on from food or controlling food. His life isn't about this anymore. He's got too much else to do.

What else in life besides food gives you pleasure? What else besides not eating gives you a sense of accomplishment? And even if those are not the issue, would it be the worst thing in the world to have to live with difficult urges to eat relatively chronically? Is ending the urges the only good reason to resist them?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23