Vmelo's Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vmelo

Vmelo's Check-in

Post by vmelo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:40 am

Hi, guys! I'm another newbie. Like many of you, I'm a diet veteran. My latest one--just counting calories--was the most successful. Starting from Sept. 2002, I lost about 50-55 lbs. over a period of about two years. However, during the past several months, I've regained about 15-20 lbs. (don't know exactly--to scared to weigh myself) because I started a new, very stressful, job and ate to deal with it.

It's interesting, but even when I was calorie counting, I still didn't feel as if I was changing the core behaviors that made me fat (e.g., snacking while standing, denying myself dessert and then eating triple the amount later, etc.). This is why I'm really loving the discipline that No-S has put into my eating. It really is helping me to get rid of some of those negative eating behaviors. It's so easy because it's so simple. (I know I'm stating the obvious, but aren't newbies allowed to gush? :D ).

I've only been No-S-ing for about a week and a half, but one thing I've noticed already: I was forcing myself to eat sweets last weekend because I was still in my old diet way of thinking, i.e., I'll eat it because I'm "allowed to" not because I want to. My goal for this coming weekend is to just eat what I want when I won't and not force it. If I don't feel like eating sweets, I'm not going to. That seems like an odd thing to state, but I think many fellow dieters will understand what I mean.

Anyway, I'm thrilled to have found this place!

pynki

Post by pynki » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:01 am

Welcome! I'm new here too!

vmelo

Oops!

Post by vmelo » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:15 am

Boy, I can't believe how many typos were in my last post! I'd better read more carefully.

Thanks, pynki!

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:47 am

Today was a success but barely! I was so tempted to have something both before and after dinner. Luckily, I resisted. I'll admit that my food choices weren't stellar, but I did stick to the rules nonetheless.

Breakfast: 1 piece of homemade pizza (from last night's dinner)

Lunch: 2 pieces of homemade pizza (okay, so it's REALLY good)
1 orange

Dinner: 2 small pieces of barbeque chicken (which I didn't finish--I didn't like it); 1 large yam, and some sauteed broccoli.

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:53 am

Day 12 was a SUCCESS!

Breakfast: Scottish oatmeal, 1/2 banana, 1/4 apple, a few raisins and walnuts.

Lunch: Sandwich made with sliced barbequed chicken, 1 slice cheese, a bit of mayo; Some green beens and broccoli

Dinner: My own concoction of sauteed shrimp, veggies, and brown rice, sprinkled with a bit of parmesan cheese.

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:48 am

Day 13: SUCCESS

I had my share of sweets and snacks, but I didn't binge out like last weekend!

Breakfast: My own homemade sundae (about 1/2 cup of vanilla ice cream, 1/2 banana, a few pineapple chuncks, a few cherries, some melted chocolate, and some walnuts). Okay, this wasn't the greatest breakfast choice, but I've been dreaming about it all week, and it's what I wanted for breakfast, so I had it!

Lunch: Very small sandwich: a few slices of barbeque chicken, 1 slice of American cheese, a bit of mayo - on a small piece of Italian bread

Snacks: A few bites of tunafish & a few bites of vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips

Dinner (out): 1 jumbo shrimp, slice of brie on two small triangles of toast; 1 Lobster crabcake; small serving of Tiramisu

Altogether, this was a fairly indulgent day, but at least I didn't eat uncontrollably, so I consider it a success!

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:50 am

Day 14: SUCCESS . . . I guess

Although I didn't binge or anything, I still didn't do as well as I would have liked. I'm finding that on weekends, Saturdays seem to be okay, but once I get into Sunday, I tend to start grazing. This disturbs me because that's a behavior I'd like to stop. I'm not sure how to stop except to put a rule in place for my weekends that says no indiscriminate snacking. I'll allow myself to have snacks, but not while standing up in the kitchen; this is mindless snacking.

Anyway, this is a learning process. This week, my goal is to continue the program but cut down a bit on the portion sizes. Also, I'm hoping that by next weekend, I'll be able to stop the grazing.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:56 am

Good for you!!!

Hope you have a great week! :wink:
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness