Wendy's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoSforme

Wendy's Daily Check In

Post by NoSforme » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:10 pm

Success!
After first week, thought i had binged too much on S days, but I still had a small loss for the week. Next week i will be more controlled for S days. Planning on one sweet and one snack only.

NoSforme

Post by NoSforme » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:03 pm

Success.

NoSforme

Post by NoSforme » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:05 pm

Success! If I'm hungry between meals, I have a sugar free cocoa or some Citrucel fiber drink.

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:55 pm

sounds like you are doing well! Great job! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

NoSforme

Post by NoSforme » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:28 pm

Thanks Tricia!

I'm going to call yesterday a success since it was an S day and you can't really cheat on those... but I still felt like I ate more crud than is good. I started with a candy bar when I went shopping then had cookies for lunch (that was the plan) but then I ate ice cream after dinner and potato chips later while reading in bed.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:19 pm

Welcome Wendy
Your name reminds me of the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld!!!

*No S for YOU!*
LOL..

Hope it works well for you :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:46 am

Welcome, Wendy!

Congratulations on your string of successes.

You can't fail on S days. Planning a reward in advance is the best way to keep them from getting too excessive, but if a little extra creeps in, don't sweat it.

Reinhard

NoSforme

Post by NoSforme » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:04 am

I've missed a couple days reporting but they were all successes. Then the kicker, I weighed for the week on Weds and showed a 1# gain. After all my hard work, that's frustrating. Now I'm questioning if this is going to work for me. Tho I do have to add that I only exercised one day last week, between morning appts and having a cold, I just didn't get it done.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:41 pm

Don't sweat it. One pound could easily be water weight, especially if you've been eating salty food. It could even be that you were wearing jeans instead of slacks. I know from my "listen to the demon-scale" days that jeans DO in fact weigh more than regular pants. Or it could be your shoes. Shoes have a huge variety of weights. If on the other hand you are weighing-in in your skivies then I would bet on the water weight. Drink more water and cut out processed foods with lots of salt (do as I say not as I do :oops: )
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:47 pm

LOL...
One time I weighed myself on a doctors scale completely naked and then I weighed myself with my woolen socks on, and those socks were a half pound... Then I added my tshirt to it and it was another half pound..

Don't put too much "weight" into your weigh-ins....

That pound will be gone in no time!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

NoSforme

Post by NoSforme » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:41 pm

Thanks Deb and HG (?) You're both right. Actually my morning (stark nekkid) weight did show a slight loss but later that day at a support group i'm in, I was a pound up.

I'm afraid I did let it get to me tho and I started today with Krispy Kreme :oops: :evil: . I can't even claim it was an impulse, because I have to drive 40 minutes to the nearest KK shop!! I will count this as an S day and do a NoS tomorrow instead.

You can't fail if you keep trying
:)

NoSforme

Post by NoSforme » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:37 pm

Success! Sat and Sun both NoS days (since having my S day on Fri)

I found the no snack rule the hardest since I was used to at least 3 snacks a day. I had some headaches the 1st couple days, but now I've adjusted. I find a cup of tea really helps mid morning and afternoon.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:42 am

Great attitude Wendy!
Just FYI.. We are all entitled to 2 S days per week!
Don't cheat yourself of that crucial steam valve or it seeps out somehow during the N days...

Have a good week!
Peace and Love,
Deb

NoSforme

Post by NoSforme » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:43 pm

Success

Yes I know there's 2 S days and believe me I use both of them. I have a weight loss support group I go to one Weds and so Weds after the meeting has been my traditional day for cutting loose and not dieting.

I wasn't ready to change that, so I use Weds and one weekend day (varies depending on what's planned) for my S days.

Does anyone see why this would be a problem? The only possibility is that maybe having both S days together, you overeat less then having them spaced out?

If it becomes a problem later (no progress) I guess I'll look at that decision again.