Couch to 5K Challenge (C25K)

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Couch to 5K Challenge (C25K)

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm starting a Couch to 5K program today. My inspiration comes from Milly (Milliem) who says that if she can do it anyone can! She's in her fifth or sixth week. Check it out online just google C25K. It starts out real easy with three 20 minute workouts/WEEK. Today I jogged 60 seconds then walked 90 seconds, alternating. Not too hard but I could still feel it a little.

Would anyone like to join me? Should be fun to have some support. By the way the program is nine weeks.
Last edited by Sweetness on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:52 pm

Yay! I love this programme :) Before about 2 months ago I hadn't run since high school and am generally unfit and overweight. I'm still uh, kind of unfit and still overweight haha, but I am loving running!

I'm on week 6 (run 3 tomorrow) and so far have managed every run by hook or by crook. I had to have a couple of weeks off here and there, once because I injured my knee and once due to being away on training so I've repeated a week when I've done that to build back up to it. I never thought I'd enjoy running but here I am :)

Are you using a phone app to run to Sweetness?

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:53 pm

P.s. I should probably point out it's three workouts per week not per day :D Would be a little intense otherwise!!

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:02 am

milliem wrote:P.s. I should probably point out it's three workouts per week not per day :D Would be a little intense otherwise!!
Ha, ha! Thanks for catching that! No wonder no one is joining me!! I just edited that post! :lol: Millie, I wish I had a phone I could run an app on. I have my Ipad, but thats a bit heavy to run with! So far Im just holding my wrist watch in my hand watching the second hand! I think I may invest in a stopwatch.

I did Day 2 exercise this morning. It was surprising to me that I really wanted to get out there, and I felt so good afterward. I can feel my metabolism kicking up. It wasn't hard, but my legs are a bit sore when I move about today. Happy thanksgiving!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:59 am

that challenge changed my life! I went from 5k to half marathon to running a full marathon and being a regular runner. Go for it!!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:30 am

jellybeans01 wrote:that challenge changed my life! I went from 5k to half marathon to running a full marathon and being a regular runner. Go for it!!
Same here. I did C25K, then a few half marathons. I was training for my first marathon when I found out I was pregnant with my son.

Now I'm just getting back to running again, so might start back out with the 5k!

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:17 pm

I think you can download podcasts from the c25k website if you have an mp3 player, so you can listen and it'll tell you when to walk and when to run!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:42 pm

ironchef, jellybeans, Milly, THANKS for the encouragement! I'm going to check into that download. We do have an IPod.

Even though I overrate yesterday, I still feel like I have more energy, and I got out early for a half hour walk this morning. :lol: 8)
Patty

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Silly question here how do you time your intervals while running? Don't think I have a working wristwatch anymore.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:34 pm

Duh just read through a little better.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:08 am

Snapdragon, Let us know if you actually start. I am so surprised at how much I'm liking it. I found an I tunes podcast for the iPod, now if I can just get my DH to part with it tomorrow morning. I listened to it this Am on my iPad, and it's going to make it a lot more fun! 8)
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:40 am

Finished week 6 today hooray! Although today is the first time that I have had to stop before the end of a run :( I got to about 19 minutes and felt horribly light headed, a little queasy and dizzy so I thought better to stop than pass out on the floor... I walked for about a minute then ran some more, although I still managed a faster average pace than I've ever managed before so perhaps that was the reason I felt so weird??

I'm off on hols tomorrow for a week, so I'm going to take a break from running until next Friday, then repeat week 6 day 3 again before I start week 7 fresh a week on Monday. Only solid runs from here out, scary...

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:18 pm

I'm thinking about starting, winter is coming so not sure if I can finish the whole thing since the weather is unpredictable. I might just start anyway and do the best I can. I can use my daughters iPod, don't have a holder for it.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:12 am

Milly, That's great that you finished week 6! I'm sure if you pace yourself a bit slower, you'll do fine.

Snapdragon, It can't hurt to start! I know what you mean about weather, being from Minnesota! I'm very blessed to be here in the winters, perfect weather almost year round!

Today I got right out there as soon as I woke up, and I'm not sore this evening, so my legs are getting used to it. The podcast did make it fun. The time went so much faster! I finished week one! I already have more energy and feel thinner even after indulging foodwise Thursday and today. We went to a wedding and they had very good food!
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:02 am

Congratulations on finishing week one Sweetness, nice work :)

Snapdragon - I'm from the UK and we get horrible weather all winter, lots of rain, cold, windy... urgh. I must have the running bug though as I've been out in all weathers! Once you get into it, running in bad weather isn't so bad, rain actually keeps you cool and after the 5 min walk to start I always warm up quickly! It's lovely to get in to a hot shower after a good run :) Just make sure you wear long sleeves, gloves and a hat if needed. I'm not sure I'd run in snow and ice though as I'd be worried about slipping, but we haven't had any so far *crosses fingers*

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:14 am

milliem wrote:Once you get into it, running in bad weather isn't so bad, rain actually keeps you cool and after the 5 min walk to start I always warm up quickly!
Plus you get that super tough feeling - yeah, look at me, running in the rain, 'cos I'm hardcore!
I once got a round of applause from some cyclists when I was running in heavy rain (they were sheltering under an overpass). I probably looked like a drowned rat, but I felt like Rocky ;)

Waterlilly

Post by Waterlilly » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:47 pm

It's cool that you posted this idea because I have been mulling it over myself. I'm not an "all season" runner. I can't do it year round because I always injure myself. It does, however, give me a goal to shoot for and it helps me get rid of both weight and stress while aiming for a goal.

We have a huge (nationally known) race around here in early June. While the race itself is not my favorite, it would be a great to set a goal to run the 5K (but not the marathon). Prepping for the race and then participating in it was like having a very healthy party. The day of the race had loud music and a party atmosphere full of healthy people. I LOVED that!

My issue is finding an extended program (maybe a 5 month program starting in January) and then signing up for a gym that has treadmills and is nearby. I do hope this thread keeps going because it's motivating me to start. Jogging (not running because I don't have that speed) drops weight for me in a big way, second only to kickboxing.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:12 pm

I go through phases where I like to jog/run. Unfortunately I do not have the attention span to do it for "years" as some people are able to do, and even within a given jog I get bored. That is my issue and has nothing to do with running itslef. As I have stated in the past, I think the current Zeitgeist wants me to run, but I can't feel the love.

Having typed that I do have a few strategies I have learned to be able to run efficiently. I can't claim to have discovered them, for instance the GXP protocol has been around for a bit http://www.lasting-weight-loss.com/running.html and I have used that. Also Bill Phillips' (Body for Life) Cardio Solution has been helpful.

Basically I try to improve my aerobic base within a given time instead of extending that time endlessly. Currently I can run 1.58 miles in 20 minutes. Not Olympic level by any stretch of the imagination, but I try to improve on that distance within the 20 minute time frame. (In the past I have approached 2 miles in 20 minutes, but now that I am approaching 50 we'll see what I can come up with.) This does two things for me: 1) It constantly challenges me as I compete against the previous time and, 2) I don't start wondering off aimlessly on 20, 40, 60, 90 minute jogs that eventually bore me to death and I quit. (Also I can use the Airdyne or my wife's elliptical to do these workouts.)

So, after all of that typing, I am in on the C25K. I just probably won't run the 5k.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:15 am

It's hard to get motivated in the cold lol. My real concern is when it gets icy. Last year we had a mild winter so it wouldn't of been a problem but if there is ice out I am not risking any injuries!!!! I have had too many of those in my family recently. Really I think I'm just thinking of excuses NOT to run. I love walking in the rain though.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:02 am

Water lily, welcome to No S! I am committed and will certainly still be around in January. I know it's an odd time to start, but I' m loving it, and here in Cuernavaca it's perfect weather wise right now. The mornings are cool and always sunny. If I were in Minnesota I would definitely be looking for a gym or a treadmill!

Snapdragon, Over43, ironchef, Jellybeans, Milly, Waterlily, thanks for your input! Let's do continue to stop in here and motivate one another. 8)
Patty

Waterlilly

Post by Waterlilly » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:46 pm

Sweetness wrote:
Snapdragon, Over43, ironchef, Jellybeans, Milly, Waterlily, thanks for your input! Let's do continue to stop in here and motivate one another. 8)
Thanks! Will do!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:54 am

It felt really good to get out and jog a bit after an excess of Esses, I also was surprised to be able to tighten my belt one notch today! :mrgreen: 8)
Patty

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:35 am

Nice work Sweetness - look out, you'll get bitten by the running bug and then you'll never be the same :)

I've found that stopping and starting walk / jog is harder on my knee, so I'm just going to go out for a walk with a run in the middle and extend the run. Today, 1.65km run.

I use mapmyrun to work out my routes, it's a great little online tool.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:32 am

Ironchef, Good for you! 1.65km! nice!
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 pm

Having a tough week... Woke up Tuesday in pain which has since gotten worse. But I still went for my jog yesterday, just took it slower. My neck, shoulder, back and arm still hurt, but the rest of my body wanted to exercise. I walked over to the Walmart today to buy some groceries (a little more than a mile). Took a cab back, I was really hurting by the time I checked out.
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:35 am

Sorry to hear you're hurting sweetness :( I guess if it's your upper body it's not run related??

I've been away for most of this week, just got back yesterday so went for a run - a repeat of week 6 day 3 to ease me back into things before starting week 7 on Monday! It was tough but I managed to finish the run (22 mins straight) this time rather than stopping a few minutes early.

Next week 3 x 25 min runs, eep!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:42 am

Sorry to hear you're feeling so sore Sweetness! Do you have a good stretching routine.

Second run today, this time with pram and dog. Much harder pushing a pram, although I think the baby enjoyed it! Hoping to do one more over the weekend, if I can leave chef jnr with mr. chef.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:44 pm

I went to my doc today again to get a chiropractor referral and something for pain. I have a cervical rib which is likely pinching a nerve, from my Internet research a 2AM when I couldn't sleep, it's the brachial plexus nerve.

ironchef, I'm proud of you for running with baby and dog! No, I haven't been stretching. Can you recommend a good routine on the net?

Milly, glad you're back out there, and thanks for the concern, both of you!

I went for my jog this morning to finish week 2. It actually seemed to make my shoulder feel better.

Hubby has lots of Facebook friends praying for me. I'll get prayer again at our healing rooms at 5 then off to the chiropractor at 7 pm. I hope and expect to be well in time for our long road trip starting Tuesday.
8)
Patty

Waterlilly

Post by Waterlilly » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:56 pm

Sweetness, have you tried yoga? I do yoga off and on but used it to heal for the first time a few weeks ago. I went to one of those dumb mall massage places and I noticed my lower back was really sore for about a week. Finally, I got tired of it and decided to do a yoga session and it went away!

Yoga just does wonders and you don't have to do complicated yoga. Just stick with the easy Hatha and I think it could help your pain.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:31 pm

Waterlilly, thanks for the suggestion. I am going to look into some stretches.
I'm kind of wary of yoga because of its religious origin.

The chiropractor seemed to think I might be better by Tuesday, I'm still in pain today but its pretty much in one spot instead of five! Hubby and I were going to go see a movie for our date night, bit it's hard to sit. We are renting an online movie instead so I can stretch out on the couch. I'm writing this from my bed, with my iPad. :cry:

I did go for a walk today. The weather is beautiful,
8)
Patty

Waterlilly

Post by Waterlilly » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:05 pm

Sweetness wrote:Waterlilly, thanks for the suggestion. I am going to look into some stretches.
I'm kind of wary of yoga because of its religious origin.
8)
No worries on that one. Yoga itself is not a religious practice. It can't be. It's just stretching. In fact, high school sports teams have been using some yoga poses for years, like the butterfly.

You could also try to find a stretching class somewhere. There are many popular fitness programs that also include stretching programs. Turbo Fire has an "EZ Stretch" class and Joyce Vedral has a stretching dvd as well. Lastly, there is T-Tapp which has therapeutic stretching and benefits. Lots of options out. Yoga is just one of them. Good luck!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Waterlilly, thanks, Ill check them out :wink:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:42 pm

Week 7 day 1 today - first of three 25 min runs this week and oof it was a tough one! Ended up being pretty fast though (well compared to my normal trundle) so I'm not surprised I was struggling. I definitely think that these next few weeks will be a matter of powering through and hopefully I'll feel more comfortable running without breaks at the end of them!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:07 pm

So, I had a good day yesterday, then I was in a lot of pain last night, and never could get comfy. Today is not too good, so I'm not going to Michoacan tomorrow. :oops: I was able to get about 3 hours of sleep last night and a couple more this morning. Will see the chiropractor tonight, and not do my C25K routine till tomorrow. Would love to do it now, but its too hot in the sun already.
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:07 pm

My neighbor let me borrow her treadmill, and I did it! A little disappointing to find out how slow I'm going. My jogs were 2.5 to 2.7 mph, and my walks were 1.9! And I'm sweating... of course it is quite warm out, somewhere in the 80's I imagine... Oh well it felt good anyway.
Patty

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:26 pm

I want to add my encouragement here. Several years ago, I started running in my 50s after 20+ years off. When I started No S two years ago, I had fallen off of my routine but picked up regular running again as I picked up the No S lifestyle. I do not worry about timing myself at this point (except at the organized runs we sign up for of course) and I do not worry how often I take walk breaks. I have learned to err on the side of taking it too slow because I have suffered hamstring and Achilles strains by pushing too hard. I am out there as well in horrible weather but draw the line at ice and snow underfoot. Right now my goal is a spring half marathon. My advice is to take it slow and steady and regular just like No S and you will get there! A few steps of running in the middle of a walk is a start.

PS I do not like treadmills but Leslie Sansone has walking and jogging DVDs I like when the weather outside is too bad. Sweetness, I find I run/walk slower on treadmills than I do when I do on outside runs that I so I would not worry about your speed.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:19 pm

Jean,
Thanks for the encouragement. I enjoyed the outdoors and the sunshine today. I kicked up the pace just a bit. It felt so good, I forgot all about the pain in my shoulder, then it went away for awhile.

Wish I could have gone out there at 4AM, because thats when I woke up in pain, unable to sleep and a walk/run would have helped. Here, 4AM is still dangerous. I was pacing my living room hoping it wasn't disturbing my neighbors downstairs!

I can also feel my metabolism getting better each time I go out. Its motivating. 8)
Patty

Waterlilly

Post by Waterlilly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:01 pm

I LOVE Leslie Sansone! I do her stuff but with my mp3 player and the tv on mute. It's actually a decent workout.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:25 pm

Today I wanted to run even though its an off day. I found some stretches, did them and went for a long brisk walk, ran a little too. Found a new place to exercise, but it's a 15 min walk to get there, down around the soccer fields. 8)
Patty

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:05 am

That's awesome Sweetness - when you just want to run!

I've only done two runs this week (baby has a cold). But, I'm still working on it.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:14 am

Ironchef, two runs is great when you have weather and a baby to be concerned about.

Today I did a warm-up walk, stretched, and then started the C25k podcast from my house. I made my way down walking, running through the streets to the soccer field, then did one run around the field, and it said I was halfway through! One more round and I turned back... boy did that make the workout go fast! Only one problem... the pain in my back shoulder and arm were still there... usually the workout makes the pain go away for a bit. Off to the chiropractor again. He says I will get better. Finished week 3, unless I want to throw in a 4th workout on Sunday. :mrgreen:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:16 pm

Congratulations on finishing week 3 sweetness!

I didn't do so well last week - combination of long work days, horrible weather and waning motivation meant I didn't do any more runs after Monday. Back into it this week though, I just re-ran week 7 day 1 and feeling loads better! Going to run Wednesday and Saturday this week I think.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:44 am

milliem wrote:Congratulations on finishing week 3 sweetness!

I didn't do so well last week - combination of long work days, horrible weather and waning motivation meant I didn't do any more runs after Monday. Back into it this week though, I just re-ran week 7 day 1 and feeling loads better! Going to run Wednesday and Saturday this week I think.
I don't know how I would be doing this if I was in Minnesota right now, my son said they got between 12-24 inches of snow, not sure if he's exaggerating but it took him 5 hours just to shovel a path down our sidewalks. :shock:

I did get out for a 4th workout yesterday aft. It feels so good! I don't feel sluggish anymore. :D
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Week four going well. Off day today so I walked down to the soccer field and back through the neighborhood for a 40 min walk.

The neighborhood I walk through is called Paraiso (Paradise). So the streets are named Adam,Eve, Apple, Serpent, etc. Today I was thinking how I purposely avoid Sin street, because I don't want to walk in sin. :wink: I do walk on/in Happiness, Friendship, and Love, however.We have some pastor friends who live on Friendship street. Who would want to live on Sin street?!
Of course many people do, although they don't admit it!! :lol:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:20 pm

Haha Sin Street sounds kind of fun to me :wink: :twisted:

Week 7 day 2 completed today, it actually felt pretty good most of the run. I think I need to be mindful to have a substantial lunch on days I run though as my legs did feel quite tired throughout. I tend to have soup, a small roll and a piece of fruit for lunch each day which isn't a lot to set me up for running in the afternoon before tea! As I don't eat breakfast I sometimes have a small 'mini-meal' in the afternoon before I run - usually a small bowl of porridge or a banana. Perhaps I should eat a larger lunch or afternoon meal on run days?

Does anyone have any experience of experimenting with what and how they eat before exercise?

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:02 am

Milly,
I run early in the morning before breakfast, that works well, but the one day I had breakfast at 5:30 because I was up at 3, It threw my whole day off because we don't eat dinner till 2 or 3. I think I counted that as a sick S day. I only ran once in the afternoon, but with eating the big meal at 2, that worked fine, then supper at 7 or 8. I would definitely want to eat more for lunch than soup. I'm sure others have more experience, and I'm just on week 4, so not really running much yet! By the way, I did walk on Serpent street today, but my Bible tells me I have power to trample on serpents and scorpions so that's OK! :wink:

Anyone else have some wise advice for Milly? I'm all ears as well.
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:42 pm

I finished week 7 today, only 2 to go! Might take a bit longer than two weeks though with the Christmas break, not sure I'll be motivated to get my running shoes on on Christmas Day :)

Despite a slightly sore stomach (self inflicted - Christmas party last night!!) and heavy rain I actually felt pretty awesome running today! At the end I felt like I could have kept going for another few minutes, and I wasn't having to self-talk myself through the last bit like I sometimes have to :) Probably a good thing as the plan is up to 28 mins running next week.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:13 pm

I finished week 4 today! Milly, I also felt like I could have run longer! I am still surprised that I am loving this! And my clothes are all fitting better. They were super tight when we first came back to Mexico October 23. I must have lost the 7 pounds I gained during my break from No S! :mrgreen:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:33 am

Ooh well done you!! I have to admit there I some days when I have to really drag myself around the streets and hate every minute of the actual run but the days that I love it and feel all pumped up and energised make up for it :) I always feel better afterwards though.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:03 am

milliem wrote:Ooh well done you!! I have to admit there I some days when I have to really drag myself around the streets and hate every minute of the actual run but the days that I love it and feel all pumped up and energised make up for it :) I always feel better afterwards though.
thanks, Milly. How's it going for you? I have had some days that were harder, but today was great! I finished week 6 and ran (at an easy pace) for 25 minutes straight! It was a little hard but I felt great afterward, like you say. Just very minor soreness, that kind of feels good. Those speed walkers that passed me up the other day weren't there! Saturday I will start week 7!! :mrgreen:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:26 pm

OK, I'm not saying this to make anyone feel bad about their weather, but our weather has been perfect and so I'm thankful for it. I've been a bit lonesome for family, but the weather is WONDERFUL!! Its been fun running. :lol: :arrow: :arrow: :mrgreen: 8)
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 am

Well done on starting week 7, you're doing brilliantly!

Weather is still horrible here, so windy, wet and cold :( It doesn't always stop me from running but I've had a break over Christmas as I've been out of my normal routine, away from home for a few days and had a lot of social events to go to. Excuses excuses, I know! :) So, tomorrow I think will be the start of week 8 again, or I may ease myself into it a little more, we'll see!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:32 am

I've run twice this week - 22 minutes on Wednesday and 25 minutes yesterday. The runs were tough (I'm not fit enough to take a 2 week break from running without feeling it!!) but I feel more ready to re-start week 8 next week without DYING! :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:50 pm

milliem wrote:I've run twice this week - 22 minutes on Wednesday and 25 minutes yesterday. The runs were tough (I'm not fit enough to take a 2 week break from running without feeling it!!) but I feel more ready to re-start week 8 next week without DYING! :)
Good for you! I finished 7 and will start week 8 on Monday too. Then Friday I'm going up to Minnesota to help my family for 3 weeks. My mom was hospitalized with heart trouble this week, she's fine and home now, but can no longer care for my dad all the time. I'm to help with the transition. I'm not sure what Ill do for running. Hoping ill be able to run around the lake, but can't do that in ice and snow! I admire you for getting out in bad weather, I have not had that challenge yet! 25 minutes is tough, even if I do only do a light jog! Rain and wind would definitely change the dynamics!

:arrow: :arrow: 8) 8) :lol: :lol:
Patty

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:04 pm

I'm not a runner, but the weather here hasn't been too bad for runners -- except for one or two days. We had a blizzard the day after Christmas and more snow a couple of days later. (We've already had more snow than we did all of last year, which was unusually mild.)

One of the reporters on the locals news was out reporting and saw someone running. She made note of it and said it was something she wouldn't do -- and she IS a runner. She routinely runs marathons.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:06 pm

Yikes I wouldn't want to run in the snow, I'd be scared of slipping over! I can do that when walking.... in dry weather! :)

Week 8 this week - yesterday's run went ok although pretty tough. Looking forward to starting the last week next week though!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 am

I checked the weather forecast for St Paul, looks like its dry and above freezing now for high temps, but due to get colder, perhaps some snow... I'm sitting in my living room in Mexico wearing shorts and sleeveless top at 8 PM! Doors and windows open! It definitely will be an adjustment!

I'm going to see if I can do my light trotting runs inside the big indoor mall by my parents house. They open 2 hours before the stores open so people can walk the mall. :wink: I don't want to risk a fall either, I did fall one day on an uneven sidewalk while running here. You have to watch closely!

Today I tried the strength and flexibility routine from nhs in the yard. Thought it would be good to do on the alternate days. It was harder than I thought because of the pinched nerve in my shoulder. I'm going to have to go easy. My shoulder is better and mostly without pain, but a month of babying it has left it with some definite stiffness. :roll:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:59 pm

I just updated my habit cal and Jan challenge today, first time since the 10th. I've had 3 reds for no S since then, but have been keeping up with my C25k. Since I arrived back to th deep freeze in Minnesota, I've run 3 times outdoors and 2 times indoors. It's the coldest it's been in 4 years right now. I had car trouble and I'm kinda proud of myself for taking the bus yesterday to the indoor mall, and running for 30 minutes to finish week 9 of the c25k program! :mrgreen: :arrow: :idea: :mrgreen:
Patty

rose

Post by rose » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:00 pm

congratulations :)
will you keep running in the future?

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:01 am

rose wrote:congratulations :)
will you keep running in the future?
Most definitely! I am so surprised that I love running! I run 3 times a week, sometimes 4 and have not missed once since I started. I always want to go! I don't run very fast at all, but it's different than walking. I work up a little sweat, and I don't sweat easily. Now that I'm back in the warm, I'm going to look into increasing my distance. I have to go a bit easy though, I have one knee that bothers me a little.
Patty

rose

Post by rose » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 pm

be careful with those knees then :wink:
It's no fun being unable to run due to bad knees.
Perhaps a visit with the doctor and selecting appropriate shoes for your running type (pronation) would be prudent...

milliem

Post by milliem » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Just wanted to check in here, I'm now on week 7 of the 'distance' plan of C25k, so running 4km on this weeks runs. Yesterdays was TOUGH! I had to stop and walk a couple of times, but I managed to finish it even though I was very tempted to turn around and go home after about halfway haha :)

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:18 am

milliem wrote:Just wanted to check in here, I'm now on week 7 of the 'distance' plan of C25k, so running 4km on this weeks runs. Yesterdays was TOUGH! I had to stop and walk a couple of times, but I managed to finish it even though I was very tempted to turn around and go home after about halfway haha :)
What are you using for your distance plan? Is it on NHS? I need to work on distance. Today my pedometer said I went 2.2 miles or about 3.5 Km. That included the warm up and cool down, for 40 minutes total. Are you doing 4km within 30 minutes? Huff, puff...

Rose, thanks for the advice. The shoes I have are very good, but I got them for walking. Will have to wait till I'm in the states again to look at new ones. :cry: I am kinda afraid to go to the doctor, I don't want him to tell me to stop running. I'm just listening to my body. They only ache a tiny bit, and less with the 30 minutes than 35. I'm being careful. :wink:
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:06 pm

The same app I used for doing the times C25k has a distance version, using the GPS on my phone (I use rundouble). It tracks how long we run and builds up to 5k in the same way although we started at week 6. So this week it's 3 x 4km runs (not including the 5 minutes warm up/cool down). We're doing it in approx 32 minutes at the moment! Next week is 4.4km, and the week after is 5k! I wouldn't worry too much about it though, if you're doing it for general fitness and health then 30 mins three times a week is pretty good! I'm trying to work towards doing a 10k though so I do need to build up distance runs.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:21 am

milliem wrote:The same app I used for doing the times C25k has a distance version, using the GPS on my phone (I use rundouble). It tracks how long we run and builds up to 5k in the same way although we started at week 6. So this week it's 3 x 4km runs (not including the 5 minutes warm up/cool down). We're doing it in approx 32 minutes at the moment! Next week is 4.4km, and the week after is 5k! I wouldn't worry too much about it though, if you're doing it for general fitness and health then 30 mins three times a week is pretty good! I'm trying to work towards doing a 10k though so I do need to build up distance runs.
It is kinda nice to have something to work towards. For now I'm going to work on going further in the 40 min workout. I was adding more time, but then my knees hurt more. As I lose weight I know the knees will have an easier time of it, and then I can add more time. I think it's great what you're doing. We've come so far, haven't we? :lol:
Patty

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:08 am

I tried the C25k plus podcast from NHS yesterday morning for my run. Hmmm.... It coaches you to run to a beat, it was much much faster than I have been going, and I couldn't sustain it, and my knees hurt more afterwards. I need something to work me up to that pace gradually. I need to look around. I don't have a smart phone just an iPod. Milly, where did you find the one you use?
Patty

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Sorry Patty I use an app for my smartphone rather than a podcast :( I don't really have any experience with those to figure out which one doesn't force you to run a certain pace! I guess you could download a few and have a quick listen before you run, see which ones might be suitable?

I suppose now you are running 30 mins+ straight you could just devise yourself a playlist on your ipod that runs for however long you want and go for it, doesn't matter how fast you go then!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:37 pm

i used my smartphone too. i'd say for now don't worry about your pace. mine improved only with time. when i first started running my pace was a lot slower. over time (6-9 months) i saw it improve dramatically. now i'm going for distance so i'm ok with my pace being a little slower. i would recommend only running 3x a week as to not hurt your knees. right now i only run 1x a week and do elliptical and other cardio the other 2 days a week. i weight lift 3x a week. i ran 4.3 yesterday, will do 4.4 next week in a buildup to 5 miles. if your knees hurt, you should probably lower your pace or take your running (days a week) back a little. personal experience here... had a time when i was tryign to run 4 days a week. just didn't work for me. had to ramp down.
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 am

Thanks Milly, MJ,
I like the idea of being pushed a bit but gradually, like the C25K podcasts did. Today I put on some fast music that I enjoy, and just ran with it. It felt good, it's gotten hotter here so I did work up a sweat. MJ, I think you're right, I will gradually run faster. I pushed myself a little today, and my knees didn't hurt much at all. I am mostly running 3 times a week, and I never run 2 days in a row, but sometimes I can run 4 times, like M,W, F, Sunday. Then Tu, Th, Saturday the next week. That's been working well for me.
Patty

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:51 pm

i hope it continues to work! winter is kind of my "off season" because i can only do the treadmill in ohio in with winter! but hoping when it gets to be march soon i'll get outside more and maybe increase my runs to 2-3x a week. we will see!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Also wanted to share this quote with you for inspiration!

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for 20 years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." ~ John Bingham

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm also going to do a C25K thingy! I downloaded a 35-minute piece of music with a guy saying "now walk, now run" and tried it out today -- it's quite embarrassing how fast I got out of breath (and I'm 20 and not even seriously overweight, according to my BMI of 23.something). But that just motivates me to try again on Monday! Decided that N days would be my running days (today was just a test). Who's with me?
There's only us, there's only this
Forget regret, or life is yours to miss.
No other road, no other way,
No day but today.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:25 am

Anoulie, if I can do it anyone can! Just remember you don't have to run fast to make a difference in your metabolism. I love running if you can call my slow jog a run! I am doing 5 K now,it just takes me 55 minutes. The good news is I lost 15 pounds since I started running. Stick with it! 8)
Patty

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:22 am

I did c25k a year ago and I just completed a 5 mile run, I am signed up for a 10k (6.25 miles) in just over a month. I will complete the 10k even if I don't run the whole time. I stopped caring about the time and I am now focusing on just doing it! Which we can!

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Sun May 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Bumping up this thread to say I just finished Week 4 of the program (which was really hard) and am feeling great. I've found slowing down and distracting myself really important. In the beginning, I was way too fast, and all I could think about was "when is this going to be over, when can I walk again, woe is me", but now that I think about everything but running, I've been finding it a lot easier. Sometimes the walk cue even surprises me! (I use the Christian Indie workout soundtrack; you can get several versions on the C25K website.)
No day but today.

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:24 pm

go for it! It did it after Cheyenne was born and caught the running bug. It lead to a half marathon and a marathon. I started my Mom on the program and she is 64 and today we jogged a 5k together.

tobiasmom

Week 1

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Resurrecting this thread because I just started couch to 5k today! Anybody else doing it or wanna start and be accountable with me??

Broca

Post by Broca » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:28 pm

I've been dabbling if that makes any sense. I have an app I follow but I don't always get to do it three times a week so I'm still in week one after three weeks...taking it real slow! I've also done run/walks without the app, running until I can't take it anymore and then Walking until I've recovered somewhat and started running again. I kind of like doing it that way. Good Luck with it!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:30 pm

I started running again around age 50, and I am now 57. I started the same way you are starting Broca, and I still do the same. i have learned that pushing too hard leads to injury and burnout. The point is to get out there and do what you can.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Broca

Post by Broca » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:41 pm

I agree r.jean. At the age of 47 I think I've finally figured out that slow and gradual changes seem to give the best result! If only I'd had the same patience and wisdom when I was younger!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:34 pm

Bumping this back up.

Because, I have decided that I should try it.

We'll see. I have a history with running and it usually involved plantar fascitis.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:35 pm

Hey there! wanted to let you know c25k is what ignited my passion for running. I started in June 2012 with c25k and was doing my first 5k by August 2012. I have been running ever since! I have worked up to 10k runs and I'm looking at doing my first quarter marathon (6.55 miles) in August. it really worked well for me. I definitely encourage you to try it. you might really love it . I wasn't sure i'd like running but it turned out to be my preferred form of exercise.

Anoulie

Post by Anoulie » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:30 pm

I'll have to confess C25K didn't really work for me in long run. I completed the program and participated in a 5K charity run right after (managed not to walk in between and did it in 31 minutes or so). But after that, I only went for a run once or twice, then decided it just wasn't for me. It just never got fun. I'll have to find a different sport that works for me.
No day but today.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:36 pm

I'll confess the only reason that I am doing it is because my workplace is hosting Eric Crouch* at a local run in June.

Since I am doing the social media for the event to encourage people to train and start exercising, I thought I needed to do this too since I try not to ask anyone to do something I would not do.

We are calling this Couch to Crouch 5K and if you want to participate, please feel free to tweet your training thoughts and pictures using the hashtag #couchtocrouch.

And, yes, I thought that one up.

* Eric was a college American football player that won the Heisman trophy in 2001, the most prestigious award for college football.

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Anoulie wrote:I'll have to confess C25K didn't really work for me in long run. I completed the program and participated in a 5K charity run right after (managed not to walk in between and did it in 31 minutes or so). But after that, I only went for a run once or twice, then decided it just wasn't for me. It just never got fun. I'll have to find a different sport that works for me.
this is totally true. for me it ignited a fire. but it's not everyone's favorite form of exercise. i would just encourage everyone to search for what you really enjoy doing. never thought i would enjoy running until i tried it. others might enjoy biking, swimming, etc.