Resources which support No Snacking

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Bssh

Resources which support No Snacking

Post by Bssh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:54 am

Thought I'd collate some internet links that support (sometimes from different perspectives) No S. Please feel free to add more links as you come across them.

Dangers of frequent eating
by John Douillard
"Eating breakfast, lunch and supper with no snacks in between will provide a natural fast in between meals that will encourage fat metabolism."
http://lifespa.com/dangers-of-frequent- ... cv8WflQE_Y

Snacking is optional
by Nutrition Diva
"Going longer between meals can have some very beneficial effects on your blood sugar and other aspects of your health."
Note: author prefers not snacking at all but recommends some "good" snacking choices for those who cannot commit.
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/static ... snacks.pdf (PDF link)
Start BMI 36, current BMI 19, goal BMI 19.
Losing by combining intermittent fasting with NoS.

catservant

Post by catservant » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:03 pm

These are great...thanks for sharing them!

Christine

Post by Christine » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks very much! I've just spent 1 1/2 hours reading these articles and following interesting links from them. And, the Ayurveda has always been fascinating to me; has anyone here tried what Dr Douillard recommends (3-Hour Diet)? Within the framework of No S of course!

Just saw oolala53's link to the Prevention article; hope she re-posts it here too! I'm going to read that one next.
I'm a Mac

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Here's the one I put on the other thread.

http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/d ... l-day-long

I don't know how to make the search feature narrow enough to find previous threads or posts about this. I know I've seen them in three years.

But it's also okay to go on blind faith...
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Bssh

Post by Bssh » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks for the link oolala. The 8 hour diet is intermittent fasting and his book is great.

leafy_greens

Re: Resources which support No Snacking

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:26 pm

Bssh wrote:Snacking is optional
by Nutrition Diva
"Going longer between meals can have some very beneficial effects on your blood sugar and other aspects of your health."
Note: author prefers not snacking at all but recommends some "good" snacking choices for those who cannot commit.
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/static ... snacks.pdf (PDF link)
Thank you for this one specifically. I appreciate the in-depth discussion of the Metabolism Myth. I would love to share this with my friends, but I know I'll just get the "Healthy snacks are good for you" retort. I lol'd at "reckless metabolic abandon."
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:32 pm

I know that over several years there have been links to probably a half dozen sources that promote eating three meals and no snacking or snacking only rarely.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:49 pm

I think the tendency among snackers is to ignore any evidence to the contrary, since the Metabolism Myth is so ingrained. And, what a fun myth to have ingrained! You can eat all the time. No wonder people are hesitant to give that one up.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:02 pm

leafy_greens wrote:I think the tendency among snackers is to ignore any evidence to the contrary, since the Metabolism Myth is so ingrained. And, what a fun myth to have ingrained! You can eat all the time. No wonder people are hesitant to give that one up.
The metabolism myth has to be right up there with the lipid hypothesis. Neither has served us well.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bssh

Post by Bssh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Another no snacking article.

"Snack attack: 'Grazing' used to be king, but now experts say it slows metabolism, and can cause tooth decay and diabetes"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... betes.html

Bssh

Post by Bssh » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:50 pm

From one of my favourite fitness sites:

Team No Snacking
By Nerdfitness

"When people come to me and ask, “What are some healthy snacks? I want to lose weight and need option…†I try to explain my answer, the thing they don’t want to hear: “stop snacking!†If that sounds like a ridiculous concept to you, you’ve been brainwashed by the Empire!"

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/04/22/snacking/

Christine

Post by Christine » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:11 pm

Have any of you heard of Dr. Gourmet? He is an MD and a chef. He has a website, book, with a diet plan that is called "Just Tell Me What to Eat" which gives you a calorie level, and a menu of three (count 'em, 3) meals per day. So you cook his recipes, divide them into, say, two portions for your spouse and one for you depending on the calorie level you're shooting for. Well, I've never done it, but gosh it sounds pretty cut and dried if you're willing to cook all the time. Anyway my point is, it wasn't so long ago that I thought, "I could never do this! He doesn't give you any snacks!" Wow. The snacking thing so pervasive, it's scary.
I'm a Mac

la_loser

Just another health risk associated with JUNK!

Post by la_loser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:53 pm

I saw this on Huffpost yesterday. Rather than addressing the concept of snacking itself, it speaks more to the problems that can be associated with so many of the marketed items which people rely on not only for snacks but as desserts as well. I just wanted to share it...it gives yet another reason to avoid this JUNK! (This reminds me of Wosnes' signature..."You are what you eat --- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake!")

Junk Food Linked With Colorectal Cancer Risk http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/1 ... 99514.html
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

jw

Post by jw » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:43 pm

wow! this thread is a treasure! thanks for bringing it up to the top again!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:14 pm

Should these two threads somehow merge? They seem to be coming from the same "place" even though they are titled differently.

http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9496

I'm going to suggest the same thing on the other one.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

seaurch

Post by seaurch » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 pm

It's hard for me to judge the science on this one, but I liked this article...and lots of links to more information:

Stop Grazing

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:43 pm

Science, with all due respect, in this case seems to me to be done as the example from the Persian story of different blind people examining an elephant, each having a different part to look at. They can each see their part, but not the whole. It's not the reason for the original story, but nonetheless...

I think no study can compare with the "samples" of the large populations eating moderately in whole countries. They are what motivates me, but I appreciate the articles and links posted here as well.

I also often remember that Reinhard does not offer his solutions as the fastest way to get as thin as possible or to grow the most muscle or anything else other teachers do, but as simple ways to navigate an abundance of food and to support general health, ways that leave maximum time for the rest of life, which is supposed to be the point, I think. Until we adopt such modest habits, the rest of it seems to demand excessive effort.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:30 pm

enjoyed the reading, thanks for posting

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:21 pm

oolala53 wrote: I think no study can compare with the "samples" of the large populations eating moderately in whole countries. They are what motivates me, but I appreciate the articles and links posted here as well.
I agree. I'm pretty skeptical of the science, but not so much of what large populations of people have done for many, many years.

la_loser

Ignore this post--the real one is below!

Post by la_loser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:19 am

Now that I have the url issue solved, I can't delete those two earlier posts that are showing as blank-so just ignore the blank ones!
Last edited by la_loser on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

la_loser

Oui Oui -The real post is below!

Post by la_loser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:20 am

Interesting that this popped to the top today via a post from a "new member". . .??? on an old post http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8996 As I read it, it seemed appropriate to add it to this thread, particularly because the blog first cited a while back had an quite appropriate entry yesterday!

I had not seen it before so I decided to look at the blog cited in the thread by Wosnes. And lo and behold, the blog's author had just posted an entry called "My Weight Gain in France" explaining how she'd had a little contest for her readers to guess how much weight she gained during her month in France.
After one month in France, eating croissants and pain-au-chocolate for breakfast, drinking as much wine as I felt like drinking (between two and three glasses a day), and eating three to four courses at almost every lunch and dinner. I gained exactly this much weight:

Zilt, zip, zot, ZERO.
She described her experience in her blog on July 24, 2013. . . so it is ironic that today is the day it floated to the top of the board! It definitely mirrors much of the No S mentality. She did have desserts at lunch and dinner often but stated they were very smaill. And although her meals were in separate courses rather than on one plate, I would bet that the total of those courses would have fit on one plate. She certainly didn't say anything about having multiple servings of the same course! The biggest takeaway for me is the NO SNACKING. Once again, that seems to be taking the lead.

The whole entry:
http://chezbonnefemme.com/my-weight-gain-in-france/

And someone who commented on the blog shared a huge example of support for no snacking!
Totally agree–I remember going to an American supermarket with a French friend one afternoon. They were giving away samples of crackers topped with avocado spread. I had one; she didn’t. I asked her: “Don’t you like avocado?†“Yes!†she said, “But I don’t feel like eating it now.â€

That was an epiphany for me–eating between meals is such a rare thing in France (not counting le gouter–the four o’clock snack for kids, but that’s another story).
Now for a little breakfast. . . that will get me to lunch. . . without a snack! :lol:
Last edited by la_loser on Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:10 pm

Is this thread allowing new comments? I got an email message saying there was a new post, but when I clicked on the link in the email, I got the page that says that link cannot be found. Then I got an pm from LA Loser that her comments would not post.

If this posts, the gremlins must have left.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

la_loser

Post by la_loser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Oolala, thanks. I'm trying this again. Here's the post I tried to post ALL day yesterday.

Oops... Checked preview and the content disappears! I am baffled but working on it! Clearly I'm not meant to post my wonderful little words of wisdom about no snacking.

la_loser

Oui Oui - More support for No Snacking!

Post by la_loser » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:19 pm

OMG-I tried to post this yet again and took the URL marks out and voila' - there it is! I hope SOMEONE enjoys it because it's taken me 24 hours to get it posted!
Interesting that this has popped to the top via a post from a "new member". . .??? on an old post http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8996
As I read it, it seemed appropriate to add it to this thread, particularly because the blog first cited a while back had an quite appropriate entry yesterday!

I had not seen it before so I decided to look at the blog cited in the thread by Wosnes. And lo and behold, the blog's author had just posted an entry called "My Weight Gain in France" explaining how she'd had a little contest for her readers to guess how much weight she gained during her month in France.
After one month in France, eating croissants and pain-au-chocolate for breakfast, drinking as much wine as I felt like drinking (between two and three glasses a day), and eating three to four courses at almost every lunch and dinner. I gained exactly this much weight:

Zilt, zip, zot, ZERO.
She described her experience in her blog on July 24, 2013. . . so it is ironic that today is the day it floated to the top of the board! It definitely mirrors much of the No S mentality. She did have desserts at lunch and dinner often but stated they were very small. And although her meals were in separate courses rather than on one plate, I would bet that the total of those courses would have fit on one plate. She certainly didn't say anything about having multiple servings of the same course! The biggest takeaway for me is the NO SNACKING. Once again, that seems to be taking the lead.

The whole entry:
http://chezbonnefemme.com/my-weight-gain-in-france/

And someone who commented on the blog shared a huge example of support for no snacking!
Totally agree–I remember going to an American supermarket with a French friend one afternoon. They were giving away samples of crackers topped with avocado spread. I had one; she didn’t. I asked her: “Don’t you like avocado?†“Yes!†she said, “But I don’t feel like eating it now.â€

That was an epiphany for me–eating between meals is such a rare thing in France (not counting le gouter–the four o’clock snack for kids, but that’s another story).

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:47 pm

The French are also flexible. In French Kids Eat Everything Karen Le Billon tells of going to visit friends for lunch on a weekend. It was way past lunch time and they hadn't started to cook the meal yet. In fact, they didn't have all the groceries yet. The hostess brought out a bag of chips to hold everyone over until the meal was ready. But that was an exception, not the rule.

Christine

Post by Christine » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Maybe this can be taken with a grain of salt, but:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/katies-take ... .html?vp=1

...we can overcome the 3:00 snack, right?
I'm a Mac

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Christine wrote: ...we can overcome the 3:00 snack, right?
Most of the rest of the world does and I don't think we're that much different from any of them. In fact, we didn't snack until relatively recently.

Christine

Post by Christine » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Exactly! But I think the hormone levels at 8, 12 and 6 are pretty interesting!
I'm a Mac

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:22 pm

Bump this up..... Seems like there are a couple good links to add recently.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

CM2014

Post by CM2014 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:36 am

Even though I failed at sticking with Intuitive Eating and Intermittent Fasting, I did learn that hunger is not the demon people think it is. It is possible to live with slight hunger between meals. Hunger is not an emergency. I always read about being on a diet without having hunger. But how is that possible? Isn't hunger our body's way of saying "Feed me" ?
Starting Weight is 158.8

KatyLamb

Post by KatyLamb » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:52 am

I enjoyed these links. It is encouraging to read them. :)

CM2014: I have learned that about being hungry. There is a phrase I say to myself between meals- "It's okay to feel hungry, you don't need food right now." I say it in a gentle kindly tone to myself, as a mom might reassure a child, and it works like magic to turn my thoughts away from food. I don't remember where I read that but I didn't invent it. :)
I love this NoS method- it saves me from trying to decide if I'm really hungry or not. Maybe I am and maybe I'm really not, but it doesn't matter- not time to eat!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:50 am

Thank you for bumping this post up. I've never come accross it but love the articles!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:02 pm

These links are great!

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:32 am

I actually read a book recently called losing it in France( there is also a blog) while reading it I couldn't help but think this sounds so much like no s. The book said to eat three meals a day at set times, drink coffee or tea I between meals. It also stated that while the French do eat croissants and the like they don't eat them everyday and it is usually something that is reserved for a weekend breakfast. The author also stated that dessert most nights is either cheese with fruit or yoghurt(which is eaten after the meal) and sweet desserts are usually only eaten 1-2 times a week and at celebrations. Sound familiar

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:19 am

oolala53 wrote:I think no study can compare with the "samples" of the large populations eating moderately in whole countries. They are what motivates me, but I appreciate the articles and links posted here as well.
I'm always finding studies that clearly contradict the above mentioned statement.

There's always a special interest behind them trying to sell something. Studies can be designed to yield any results. Always be wary of them.

On the other hand NOS has the backup of - as oolala said - live large populations. :wink:
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks, Jethro! And yes, Helena, France is one of the populations I was referring to. A "test" sample of millions. I was influenced by Anne Barone and William Clower, but didn't really take three meals seriously until No S. Apparently, even the French don't take it as seriously anymore, and their obesity rate shows it.

A statistic I read, though I can't find it now, on the average annual consumption of sugar in France was 15 pounds, as opposed to our 90-120 pounds in the U. S. So the insinuation that they eat at lot of sweets when they eat "all that pastry and chocolate," as people often say, is a misconception. Apparently, the same is true for cheese. I think the average comes out to a little over an ounce at a meal. Since it's an average, it's a good bet many women eat even less.

C'est la vie! And a pretty good one.

Okay, enough diverting from the no snacks theme.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Yes in this book at least it says the size of cheese they eat is roughly the size of a dice so not that big at all and tea pastries and things are looked at like a treat and not eaten every day and are about half the size of pastries here

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:23 pm

I also remember some book in which a non-French woman was saying how embarrassed she was at an event at which little chocolates were served for all to take from a plate. She was the only person, woman or man, who took more than one.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:09 pm

CM2014 wrote:Even though I failed at sticking with Intuitive Eating and Intermittent Fasting, I did learn that hunger is not the demon people think it is. It is possible to live with slight hunger between meals. Hunger is not an emergency. I always read about being on a diet without having hunger. But how is that possible? Isn't hunger our body's way of saying "Feed me" ?
This is what I don't like about IE. You're supposed to eat as soon as you're hungry, even if it's at an inconvenient time, and it can be any type of food even tons of sweets. Then, how do you know what hunger is? Is it a stomach growl or a mental craving? No S is so much clearer.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:14 am

Regarding diets on which one supposedly doesn't feel hunger, I would think, then why eat? But I've had to contend with this, not feeling hunger even by the time it's appropriate to have a meal. I sometimes skip the meal or wait until very much later to eat on weekends, but I just have the meal on N days. The desire for a pleasurable eating experience has NOT gone away. Thus the rub.

Snacking definitely complicates the whole issue, IMHO.

On IE, I think I rarely had the patience to wait long enough to experience the kind of hunger I have gotten to experience in my first 3 years of N days.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:15 am

Regarding diets on which one supposedly doesn't feel hunger, I would think, then why eat? But I've had to contend with this, not feeling hunger even by the time it's appropriate to have a meal. I sometimes skip the meal or wait until very much later to eat on weekends, but I just have the meal on N days. The desire for a pleasurable eating experience has NOT gone away. Thus the rub.

On IE, I think I rarely had the patience to wait long enough to experience the kind of hunger I have gotten to experience in my first 3 years of N days.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:16 am

accidental double post
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 am

On IE, I think I rarely had the patience to wait long enough to experience the kind of hunger I have gotten to experience during my first 3 years of N days.
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Healthiermum

Post by Healthiermum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:57 am

I found IE very difficult. I found I was always thinking about food and whether I was hungry or not. I was always second guessing myself. Also it made social situations that involved food impossible as I could never work out how much to eat at lunch to make sure I was hungry for dinner(if I was going out or even to have dinner with my family) so I would just not eat all day so I could be hungry for dinner. 3 meals a day is so much easier

Nay-Nay

Dangers of frequent eating

Post by Nay-Nay » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:31 pm

Bssh, Thanks for the great article! I have been off the wagon for quite a while and just hopped back on last week. Right now, anything that helps reinforce the no snacking habit is truly appreciated! 8)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:52 pm

Bumping this up and will be sporadically adding links to other sources that have been posted. Consolidation would be helpful, even if we are cherry picking.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Merry

Post by Merry » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:30 am

What a great thread! I need to spend some time reading the links this week. Thanks for the bump :-)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:53 pm

Has anyone ever seen the tv show "My 600 Lb. Life?" It's about people having weight loss surgery. On an episode I watched recently, the surgeon was counseling a new patient on the necessity of losing weight before surgery. He told her to eat three meals a day, nothing else. She asked him if it was okay to eat a healthy snack like carrot sticks. He replied, wagging his finger at her "There is no such thing as a healthy snack!"
~ Laura ~

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:59 pm

great thread!
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

oolala53

Published resources that support No S/ habit, etc.

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 pm

from the general discussion board

https://healthyeater.com/goals-sometimes-enough
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:35 pm

From the general discussion board:

https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3811

And from a newsletter by Brad Pilon, advocate of IF:
The truth is Deprivation kills consistency, and consistency is where your results come from.

If a diet isn’t sustainable, it’s not going to work, so save a litte room for dessert ;)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:41 pm

My sister, who knows I'm NoSing, just sent me this link -

http://lifespa.com/dangers-of-frequent-eating/
I did a study based on my book, The 3-Season Diet, in 2000. We had the group eat 3 meals a day with no snacks and measured weight loss and a host of psychological factors. Within two weeks, their moods, cravings, sleep, exhaustion after work and fatigue were all significantly improved. They lost an average of 1.2 pounds per week during the 2 month study.
~ Laura ~

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:12 am

Okay, I just have to post that when I came to this page, there were FOUR books about Ralph Waldo Emerson being advertised at the bottom. Didn't scroll through the previous posts to see what prompted THAT! Now, I'm going to go plant a work on my thread to see what happens, though I may have to wait for other people to look to find out .
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:44 pm

I see four Amazon ads for yoga and stretching dvds, which I was browsing recently. So it would seem that the ads are based on your personal history.
~ Laura ~

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:09 pm

funny, as I haven't searched Emerson recently and they were back again! But they sure are less triggering than diet books, which are what I usually see. Maybe it's influenced by an average of visitors' searches. But immaterial, as I'm unlikely to buy any new book anyway.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:34 pm

TunaFishKid wrote:Has anyone ever seen the tv show "My 600 Lb. Life?" It's about people having weight loss surgery. On an episode I watched recently, the surgeon was counseling a new patient on the necessity of losing weight before surgery. He told her to eat three meals a day, nothing else. She asked him if it was okay to eat a healthy snack like carrot sticks. He replied, wagging his finger at her "There is no such thing as a healthy snack!"
I watch that show! I love Dr Nowzardan! He doesn't sugar coat anything.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:45 pm

That's his no S rule: no sugar-coating.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

TunaFishKid

Post by TunaFishKid » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:38 pm

oolala53 wrote:That's his no S rule: no sugar-coating.
Lol! Another very good No S!
~ Laura ~