20 lbs

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Ray E

20 lbs

Post by Ray E » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:13 pm

I just moved to the 20lber from the 16lber this week. I was doing 740 reps (movements) in under 14 minutes with the 16 and today it took me over 14 minutes to complete 680 reps. It was the right time to move up, but I imagine I'll be at this weight for good.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:20 pm

Congratulations, Ray!

I'm impressed at how precisely you've recorded your rep counts -- curious how that progresses (no rush!).

Reinhard

Ray E

Post by Ray E » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:48 pm

I continue to rotate through the 16 and 20 lber depending on how I feel that morning. I thought about the amount of weight I'm moving with the 16 pounder and it's actually quite a bit. It's over 11,800 lbs which doesn't take into account the force behind each motion. I imagine in 14 minutes I'm doing way more work than I ever did lifting weights. Also, I'm really forceful with the 16lber since it's relatively light for me, but putting extra effort into it makes it that much harder.

This really proves for me time of effort is really less important than overall effort during 15 minutes or less I exercise.

El Fug

Post by El Fug » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm trying to wrap my head around doing 740 movements in (under) 840 seconds. That's a complete movement every 1.1 seconds. In Reinhard's videos (at least the shoveling and the wood-chopping ones), he averages about a rep every two seconds. I do much slower reps, but I'm moving the entire time -- muscles are being exerted throughout.

No way I can come close to 740 reps, but I may try to pick up the pace. Do you collapse afterwards? You must be in tremendous shape.

Ray E

Post by Ray E » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks for the complement, but I'm in decent shape. I rowed crew in college so my pain threshold is fairly high. It takes me 15 minutes or less depending on the day. Some of the movements are very fast while others are a little slower. To do more work, if I finish a movement with my right arm I'll start the next movement with the same arm. I'm really not deliberate with the movement like I would be if I were lifting weights and I sort of use my whole body. My kids laugh at me when I go through the routine!

El Fug

Post by El Fug » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Ray E wrote:Thanks for the complement, but I'm in decent shape. I rowed crew in college so my pain threshold is fairly high. It takes me 15 minutes or less depending on the day. Some of the movements are very fast while others are a little slower. To do more work, if I finish a movement with my right arm I'll start the next movement with the same arm. I'm really not deliberate with the movement like I would be if I were lifting weights and I sort of use my whole body. My kids laugh at me when I go through the routine!
I do very deliberate movements, but I'm sure I'm every bit as laughable, if not more so. I usually do this stuff in my living room... in my boxers.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Thanks for the update, Ray! Great to hear you're still going strong, and love those numbers.

Reinhard