Recommitting

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Ruamgirl

Recommitting

Post by Ruamgirl » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:24 am

Hi, everyone!

I have been gone for a while, but I'm back now, and I'm ready to recommit. My main reason for coming back to No S is the sane relationship with food I hope to achieve. That, and I want to be healthy. Weight loss is nice, and I think it will happen, but it's no longer my primary focus.

This will hopefully be my last semester in school as long as I make all As (no pressure). I'm taking a lot of hours, and as a result, I will no longer be working. I think this will really help me with doing No S. Working at a restaurant that stays open till 1 or 2 am really makes it difficult for me to eat regularly, so I think this will be a nice change.

Anyway, I just wanted share my excitement about finally getting serious about changing my life.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:32 am

Best of luck, Ruamgirl. A regular schedule definitely makes things easier. With all the pressure of school, No S can be comforting as you can live your life and study those 6 (or whatever hours) between meals. Easy. Piece of cake right?;) You can do it!

jw

Post by jw » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:11 pm

Ruamgirl, you are here for all the right reasons! Best of luck with No S and with the new semester!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:44 pm

Sanity with food was my motivation as well. I can't imagine what else could have gotten me where I am with it, short of a miracle remedy. This will be a great support for your life!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Ruamgirl

Post by Ruamgirl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Thank you, everyone, for the wonderful and supportive comments. I really think that now is the time to make the habits stick.

I've been considering writing down what I eat each day (not tracking fat, calories, or carbs or anything like that) just so I can look back after a few weeks and evaluate what needs to be changed. Do you all think that's a good idea or no?

jw

Post by jw » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:33 pm

Some people like to write down what they eat every day in their daily check-in posts. For me, personally, that is the kind of thing that makes me fall off a diet -- it's just too much work and it keeps the focus too firmly on food, food, food.

I do use and like the HabitCal, though -- just a simple heaven or hell scenario every day! I'd say start simple, then if you feel the need to track, add that in later. Good luck!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:12 pm

Welcome back!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:51 pm

Welcome to the board. Good luck with it all we are all on your side. I have started posting my food , never done anything like this before and understand jws feeling that posting each meal is too much about food food food. But for me it has been rather revealing about what I do eat!! So helpful that way. See what suits you best.
Have a good week
Tessy

carolynz

Post by carolynz » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:36 am

Welcome Ruamgirl!
It's very encouraging around here, and glad you are here!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:22 am

Ruamgirl wrote:I've been considering writing down what I eat each day (not tracking fat, calories, or carbs or anything like that) just so I can look back after a few weeks and evaluate what needs to be changed. Do you all think that's a good idea or no?
There's no way to know how it will affect you until you actually try. Research tells us that tracking a goal is correlated to succeeding at that goal.

Finding the appropriate level of tracking seems to be the key. Some of us need to write it down. Some don't.

You can try it and if you find it demotivating stop. Immediately. Don't equate a food journal or daily check in thread with No S compliance.

earl7z

Post by earl7z » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:11 pm

Ruamgirl wrote: I've been considering writing down what I eat each day (not tracking fat, calories, or carbs or anything like that) just so I can look back after a few weeks and evaluate what needs to be changed. Do you all think that's a good idea or no?
I've driven myself crazy looking back at food lists. I ate item A and gained a pound the next day. Two days later I ate item B and lost 2.5 pounds. Of course there's no correlation, your weight just fluctuates naturally. But I was demonizing foods based on these observations and other ways of thinking ( low fat, low carb, low salt ).

What I'm loving about my experience with NoS is that it really is volume of food, not the macronutrient makeup of what I'm eating, that is the problem. There aren't foods that make you fat, there are amounts of food that make you fat.

But as I've learned over the years, that's just my experience. Food lists might just be the thing that clicks for you.

Best of luck!
All you can do is all you can do.

Food doesn't make you fat. Too much food makes you fat.

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:30 pm

Welcome Ruamgirl. I tracked on the HabitCal to reach my 21 Green Days goal. After that, I stopped tracking. At that point I wanted to stop the daily obsessing with food and I felt strong enough to look away. See what works for you. Best of luck.
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe