Maria's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Älskling

Maria's Daily Check-in

Post by Älskling » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:48 pm

Day 1: SUCCESS!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:09 pm

Yay Maria!!!!

ps.. What's your screen name mean? LOL..
Have a great day!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:58 pm

DAY 2: Success. However it was harder than day 1. I had a kind of soup for lunch (I say kind of because it was rice congee which is basically a small amount rice cooked in a large amount of water with some flavorings). Anyway, this wasn't very filling even though I allowed my self two bowls knowing that the calories would be very low.

So far the lack of sweets doesn't seem to be a problem. It's already Wednesday so Saturday is not far away.

Getting the amount of food right is difficult. What do people do with multiple courses?

Deb- my screen name means "darling" in Swedish (as in someone's darling). Älskar means "love".

Maria

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:14 pm

Hi Maria my darling!!!
LOL...

Rice congee might be nice for about one hour.. LOL!
Please.. Add some kind of protein and fiberous fruit/veg to the picture..

This isn't a martyr diet..
As far as multiple courses..
I have to say, it can be done on one big plate...
If you really want some broth type soup or a small salad on the side, that's not a big issue.. Unless it's for breakfast lunch and dinner..

I would save buffets or going out for dinner, for S days, so it doesn't have to be an ordeal..

Have a great day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:28 pm

Day 3: Success

Deb- the congee had a little turkey in it. I like it when I have a cold and my son seems to like it too which is a big bonus because he hardly eats anything.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:31 pm

Oh I didn't know you guys were sick?
Well hope you get better soon and enjoy the day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:55 pm

DAY 4: Success. Sort of. I think my body is rebelling against the no sugar rule because I desperately wanted a PBJ sandwich for breakfast. I had one (open faced) with natural PB and maybe a tsp. of jam. I also had another piece of toast with cheese and 1 tsp. of marmalade. These are not usually things I eat for breakfast. At dinner I really ate too much and went back for a 2nd (1/2 piece) of cornbread- which I rarely eat but again I think it was a way to get some sugar. I'm still counting it as a success because I didn't snack or eat any official sweets like chocolate or cookies.

I weighed myself today and I'm down 2 1/2 pounds. I'm weighing every other day which is huge for me since I always weighed myself every day. I'm concerned that this weekend I'll overdo it and wipe out my loss. I know that this a long term thing and not to expect fast results, etc. but the diet mentality is so ingrained in me.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:02 pm

Yeah, the inner sugar junkie can be very tricksy at the beginning! :lol:

Hang in there. After you break out of the sugar 'addiction', it does get much easier.
C.
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:27 pm

DAY 5: Success! No jam or corbread today. I felt stuffed after every meal so I need to scale back the portions a bit.

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:50 pm

Maria,
I am getting ready to enjoy my 4th weekend on the NO S plan. I saw your post re: worried about overdoing it on the weekend. My first weekend I was so nervous about that, I basically stuck to the No S. My second weekend I was so enthused about my weight loss and the plan, that I went crazy and ate 8 Twinkies and 4 Hostess cupcakes. That about did me in, so the 3rd weekend was much more normal. I anticipate the same this weekend. My point is that, at least for me, one wild weekend was enough to realize that my body doesn't want that much sugar any more, but still looks forward to the relaxation of the rules that S days provide. Don't sweat the weekend. Whether it turns out to be a splurge or just a break from the rules, I think you'll find yourself ready to launch into No S come Monday. Good luck! MJ

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:04 pm

MJ-
I'm really tempted to just stick to the plan this weekend but I won't. After breakfast I made a batch of brownies from scratch and they're still sitting in the kitchen untouched. Right now I'm actually not hungry and haven't even thought about lunch but I am worried that if I eat one of those brownies, that I'll eat the whole pan! Maybe I'll have it as dessert after lunch.

Thanks for

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:25 pm

DAY 6: S Day
DAY 7: S Day
DAY 8: Success. I did have most of a kiwi fruit that I was trying to give to my son. Today was a little hard because I totally overdid it over the weekend. Sunday was a giant feast. I'm really hoping that I don't do that again next weekend.
Last edited by Älskling on Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:08 pm

DAY 9: Success. I made Hungarian goulash for dinner with homemade spaetzle. I really wanted more but I didn't take any and I was really ok with that.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:56 pm

Yummy! I really should make some Spaetzle again soon. I haven't done that for ages. There's no option BUT for them to be homemade here, you just can't buy them dried or anything.

C.
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:40 pm

Carole,
I think I'm going to buy a spaetzle maker. They're delicious but what a pain in the a** to make. I tried a colander but that didn't work because the colander had a "foot" and then I tried a potato ricer and then a different colander. I had a lot of dishes to do!

Maria

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:07 pm

As Spaetzle are the Swabian national dish :lol: , I picked up two different types of spaetzle making kit whilst I was living in Germany. The first is a 'Spaetzledrucker' - it looks like a giant garlic press and is great when you want fine noodles. I also got a 'Spaezlehoebel' which looks like a cheesegrater with a hopper attached to one side of it, that you place the mixture in and run it back and forth over the holes. That one's great if you like the short fat 'knopfle' type of noodles that are popular in the German Alp-Bodensee region.

Where do you live? Can you buy this stuff there, or will you need to get it by mail order or something?

C.

*EDIT* Ah. You live in the States. Well, I guess you can get pretty much anything there if you look far enough!
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:44 pm

Amazon.com has one for $7.99 that sounds like the cheese grater one that you mentioned. I like the price and it looks nice and small. I'll give that one a try.

It sounds like you made a lot of spaetzle if you have two kits! I've only ever had it with goulash but I gather that it's eaten with many other things as well.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:05 am

As I said, in Ulm (where I lived on and off for about 2 years total) Spaetzle are virtually the national dish. Try layering the freshly made noodles in an oven dish with a nice strong grated cheese, baking the result in the oven until it's golden and bubbling, and serving it covered with onions that have been slowly fried in a little butter until they turn to caramel. That's kaasspaetzle. It beats the pants off Mac & cheese! :lol:

btw: did you know that Spatz is German for 'Sparrow'? the 'le' on the end is the swabian dimunitive, so 'Spaetzle' literally means 'little sparrow'. They're called that after the sparrow that helped to build the Ulm Minster.

They're also really good as a side dish with roast meats, in place of potatoes.

Hope that gave you some ideas.
C.
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:57 pm

DAY 10: Success. Not feeling well. Leftover goulash for lunch was a bad idea.

Carole-
That sounds really delicious. I'll definitely try that when I get my spaetzle maker.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Could you please post a link for the grater you found at amazon.com? Thanks!

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:16 pm

Here you go-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004 ... e&n=284507

If for some reason the link doesn't work, it's the Norpro Stainless Steel Spaetzle Maker.

Maria

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:28 pm

Hi Jan,

The best spaetzle can be made with 500g of plain white flour and 5 eggs, and a little water if necessary to make it the right thickness.

mix until smooth. beat until it blows bubbles at you. Then just use it straightaway. This makes enough for 4 to 6 people, depending on whether it's a maincourse or a side dish

C.
CaroleJo

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:28 pm

Hi Jan,

The best spaetzle can be made with 500g of plain white flour and 5 eggs, a little salt and a little water if necessary to make it the right thickness.

mix until smooth. beat until it blows bubbles at you. Then just use it straightaway. This makes enough for 4 to 6 people, depending on whether it's a maincourse or a side dish

C.
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:39 pm

DAY 11: Success. I did eat two Snapea Crisps, but anyone that has had Snapea Crisps will tell you that eating only two is a major accomplishment.

FYI- I've dropped 4 1/2 pounds since starting this. I must have really been eating too much before. I know it's mostly water but I look thinner.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 am

Day 12: Success. I can't believe how my cravings have diminished. Usually by 11:30 I'm wondering about lunch. This morning I was busy cleaning and I noticed it was after 12:00. I just went back to cleaning and didn't eat until closer to 1:00.

I do think that I let myself get too hungry between lunch and dinner today even though lunch was on the later side and dinner wasn't any later than usual. I took my son to the park so maybe that took a little out of me. I felt nauseated and developed a wicked headache that took a while to go away after dinner.

On a side note, I was looking through a cookbook to find something delicious to make as a treat this weekend and nothing really interested me. I'm going to go with something made with bananas since we have a bunch of ripe ones on the counter...

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:53 pm

DAY 13: S-Day
DAY 14: S-Day
DAY 15: Success. Again I found myself a little too hungry between lunch and dinner and I felt a little faint. I think I may need to allow myself a snack during that time.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:10 pm

DAY 16: Success. I felt faint again and very hungry by 3:30 so I broke down and had a very small snack. I'm still considering this a success because in the past I would have binged. When dinner did finally roll around, I was absolutely ravenous and completely devoured it. I didn't exactly have a skimpy lunch either. I had a full plate of whole wheat coucous, two pieces of chicken tagine and part of an apple.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:40 pm

Hi Maria,

really, I would consider having an official small fourth meal in the afternoon if this is causing so much trouble. You'll probably be able to phase it back out again once your body has adjusted, but in the meantime, I think you should listen to your body on this one.

I still sometimes have some fruit as a small meal in the afternoon if dinner is a long way off. It's really much better to do this than to hoe-to and start eating everything in sight! :lol:

Good on you for not turning it into a binge :D

C.
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:04 pm

DAY 17: Success. I had a fourth "meal" between lunch and dinner (small sandwich) and that seemed to help prevent any weakness but today was difficult. I found myself scanning the cupboards and wanting to just eat whatever.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:53 pm

DAY 18: Success. I had a couple of moms and tots over for lunch and I was able to offer cookies without eating or really wanting them so that's a big step.

On the other hand, I got on the scale this morning and was disappointed (I know, I know) to see that I'm up a 1/2 pound from last Friday. I'm going to try not to over do it this weekend but I've got my sights set on a strawberry milkshake or ice cream soda (I can't remember the last time I had either one of those!) Valentine's Day is going to be an S-Day for me as well but I'm going to try and confine it to dinner.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:45 pm

DAY 19: Success
DAY 20: S-Day
DAY 21: S-Day

Made it to 21 days. I'm not sure if this is really habit or not. I think I lost about 5 pounds but yesteday I wasn't feeling well so I didn't eat that much. I'm still not feeling well. My husband, son and I all have some kind of stomach bug.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:41 pm

Feel better Maria!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:56 am

Get well soon, Maria!

C.
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:23 pm

Thanks Deb & Carolejo! It's a bummer that I still feel this way on Valentine's Day. We were planning on Indian takeout but I don't know if I can handle that!

Day 22: Success. I'm not feeling well so I don't have much of an appetite. In the past I would have eaten everything in sight to cope with not feeling well and to see if some food fixed my problem! Everything I eat makes me bloated and gives me gas pains and nausea.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:22 pm

When my tummy was hurting a week or so, ago, from a virus and some serious gas producing foods, I drank peppermint tea...
That really settled it down very nicely..
Try to get some good peppermint tea.. Not spearmint.. Peppermint...

Ginger tea is probably good too with a tiny bit of honey..
Feel better and save the Indian food for when you can enjoy it!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:59 pm

Thanks Deb,
Unfortunately neither one of those seem to be helping too much. I already went through a box of Ginger Aid tea and a couple of cups of peppermint. I'll focus on just the peppemint. I've been taking probiotic capsules as well. One good thing is that I don't have a fever anymore so I guess something is improving. I just wish someone would tell my intestines!

Maria

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:06 pm

How about trying to just lay down with a nice warm water bottle on your tummy?
I'm sorry you feel so yuck!!!
I can relate..
I guess you just need to rest...

Feel better soon Maria!
Love,
8) Deb

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:59 am

DAY 23: Valentine's Day. Took as an S-Day but did not eat snacks or seconds and only one tiny sweet.

Thanks to whatever bug is plaguing me and my family, I didn't feel like eating much. My husband sounded disappointed when I told him that I wasn't making this chocolate espresso tart concoction that I saw in Martha Stewart Living magazine (yes, I admit it, I like some of the stuff that Martha does, so shoot me.) Being the good wife that I am, I went ahead and made it and my husband picked up Indian food. Unfortunately, by the time he got home, he was feeling worse than I was so we each ate a plate of food (with a lot of room between the dishes [as in food- not plates] and a tiny bit of the chocolate tart. I actually don't feel too bad now.

Not sure if it's the illness or No-S but this the first time I have not had seconds of Indian food. That is the one kind of food that I just can't resist for some reason.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:46 pm

DAY 24: Success. Still not feeling that great so the appetite is not really there. When I do eat a full meal, I feel queasy...

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:55 am

DAY 25: Success. Appetite is a little better but still seem to be having digestive troubles.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:25 pm

Congratulations on your winning streak of No-s, but sorry to hear you're still sick. I can sympathize only too well... My daughter's been bringing something new home from day care almost every week. This is what I get for years of bragging "I never get sick" -- not something one should utter with any degree of confidence before having a kid.

Reinhard

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:47 pm

Thanks Reinhard.

My son is 18 months old still very much breastfed, and not in daycare yet since Christmas, the three of us have had three colds and a stomach bug plus a few colds in the fall. I used to get one or two colds a year and my husband rarely got them at all. Supposedly, if kids get a bunch of illnesses as toddlers, they won't get so many when they're in school, but I'm not betting on it.

Maria

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:24 pm

DAY 26: Success, however there was some funny stuff: I did eat a snack between lunch and dinner but it was for "medicinal reasons" and not hunger (it was a few prunes, raisins and some Swedish hardbread- get the picture?) Dinner was sushi and I did kind of overdo it with that. I'm not sure if it would have fit on one dinner plate or not. After dinner I really, really wanted something more but I didn't. My appetite is apparently back with a vengeance.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:06 pm

DAY 27: S-DAY. I had quite an appetite and was able to put away a lot of food without feeling full...

DAY 28: S-DAY. same as Saturday.

DAY 29: Success. I really, really wanted to binge today but I didn't. Something set me off first thing in the morning (a contractor that didn't deliver as promised) and that put me in a foul mood all day. I really just wanted to get into bed with a tub of ice cream. This is the first time I've felt this strong of an urge since starting No-S.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:14 pm

fantastic job there in NOT CAVING IN! :D

Deliveries, eh. Sometimes I wonder how come this has always got to be such a nightmare, since most companies will only deliver during working hours and therefore (as most people are at work then) you have to take time off to get stuff delivered, so it ends up being much less convienient and no cheaper than just hiring a van and collecting it yourself the minute you buy it. Sheesh!

I think snacks for medicinal reasons definately fall under the "Sick begins with an S. Do whatever you have to do to feel better" category. :wink:

Heres to another good day today.
C.
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:24 pm

DAY 30: Mostly a success. There was some funny stuff: a couple of snapea crisps, one of those tiny, snack sized Oreo cookies, and a couple of those matchstick sized pretzels. Dinner was pure comfort food: fishsticks, mashed potatoes, peas, buttered bread and a glass of milk. I definitely like to eat through my emotions!

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Carolejo, in the past I would have undoubtedly eaten myself into oblivion.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:14 pm

DAY 31: FAILURE! OK, maybe it wasn't an out and out failure but it certainly wasn't a success. I ended up eating a handful of those tiny Oreo cookies (maybe 5 or 6?) and then at dinner I took a second helping. The only thing I can say in my defense is that there was a little room on my plate the first time around. My second helping was about the size of the leftover room.

In any case, it feels like my resolve is definitely weakening. I think this due to a few things 1)my frustration with the contractor 2)getting yet another cold (I've lost count- I think I'm up to 4 since the New Year) and 3)not seeing much in terms of weight loss results.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:59 am

DAY 32: FAILURE! I ended up eating 1 1/2 fairly large cookies. My son took them out of the pantry and for some reason I couldn't resist. I also ate some toasted squash seeds as a snack while I was making dinner.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:27 pm

DAY 33: SUCCESS. Although I did have a weird craving for fried chicken and biscuits. I don't think I've ever done as much baking as I have while on No-S. For some reason, it makes me want all kinds of comfort foods.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:19 pm

DAY 34: S-Day
DAY 35: S-Day. I promised myself that I wouldn't go overboard this weekend. Saturday wasn't too, too bad but Sunday was really, really bad. I didn't even want the food. It was that ridiculous day-before-the-diet mentality (you know: you'd better get it while you can because you can't have any sweets until next Saturday...) I'm starting to wonder if this is the best approach for me. I definitely eat less during the week but I eat way more on the weekends than I did before.
DAY 36: Success

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:30 pm

DAY 37: S-Day for Fat Tuesday. Ended up eating three semlor throughout the day. They were gooood.

I'm going to **try** and give up sweets for Lent. Maybe it won't be so bad. I don't have too much trouble during the week...

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:41 pm

DAY 38: Success. Funny stuff: small bite of fresh mozzarella. Somewhere during the day I had a bite of banana as well.

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:48 pm

DAY 39: Success. Funny stuff: I really wanted to nosh on something all day. I ate my dinner so early that I was really hungry later on. I ended up eating two carrots and half a pepper.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:09 pm

Good on you for 'failing safe' and opting for the raw veggies rather than some less healthy snack.

Sometimes it's just harder for some reason. Well done though. It looks like you're doing really well.

C.
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:28 pm

Thanks CaroleJo!

DAY 40:Success. Funny stuff: went for seconds of dinner although I had a lot of space on my plate the first time and seconds were smaller. Also, I finished my husbands glass of wine.

Also, to date I'm down 6 or 6.5 pounds. I think it's a little strange because I really outdid myself last Sunday and even had pastries on Tuesday

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:27 pm

DAY 41: S-Day
DAY 42: S-Day
DAY 43: So-so. Ate a small piece of chocolate.
DAY 44: Another not so great day. My meals are becoming more like grazings. My son is getting minor surgery next week but it's weighing heavily on my mind. I don't feel like cooking good meals so I'm eating garbage instead.

ceu

Post by ceu » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:44 pm

*hug from a stranger*

I'm sending you good thoughts for your son's surgery. :)

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:36 am

Thank you Ceu. I appreciate it.

Day 45: Success.
Day 46: BIG FAT FAILURE. At dinner I took THREE servings. I then ate yogurt with honey, an orange, a small piece of milk chocolate and then two large pieces of dark chocolate. I've really fallen off the wagon and so close to the weekend!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:51 am

Maria, you are being to hard on yourself under the circumstances..
Surgery starts with S...

I know you have been really trying, and you are worried, so don't be so upset with yourself for falling back into comfort eating.. It's not your norm..
It's just a little setback..
It's not falling off that wagon, but getting back on, which matters...

Good luck and my best wishes to your son for a successful surgery and speedy recovery...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:09 am

It's not falling off that wagon, but getting back on, which matters...
I just wanted to second this. Hey, I'm the QUEEN of falling off the waggon here! :lol: Get yourself back up there though. Today is a new day. Hell, the next meal is a new meal! You don't even have to wait till you get a new day to start being good again. 8)

Hope everything goes well with your son. In the meantime, try to be a little more gentle on yourself.

C.
CaroleJo

Älskling

Post by Älskling » Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:24 pm

I'm back...and starting over. My son's surgery went fine and an hour later it was like nothing had even happened. For some reason, all of that pent up anxiety that had sent me on a 10 day feeding frenzy!

So today is day one for me and so far it's been breakfast and coffee. I'll be back tomorrow to post my results.

Maria