Back to a 10-pounder

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
nosman

Back to a 10-pounder

Post by nosman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:11 pm

I've never posted here in the shovelglove section, only over in No S, so I thought I'd share where I am and see what folks have to say.

I started working out with a 10-lb. hammer in the summer of 2012 and absolutely loved it. I tend to get bored doing the same thing so I have taken breaks from the shovelglove with bodyweight workouts, but I always come back.

About two months ago, I upgraded to a 16-lb. hammer. I loved it at first, but quickly grew tired of the new handle. My 10-pounder is a Kobalt from Lowe's and has a plastic/rubber handle. The 16-pounder is solid hickory. The Kobalt's handle feels as though it was designed for working out. It's perfect. I tried wrapping the hickory handle with tennis wrap and using gloves, but I just couldn't get it to feel right.

Last week I pulled the Kobalt 10-pounder back out and did a full workout and loved it again. The grip felt great, and I felt that the lighter weight allowed me to maintain better form and get a better overall workout than I was getting with the heavier hammer. I finished out the week with the 10-pounder and plan to stick with it for now.

I realize now that I probably should have increased weight in smaller increments, perhaps moving from a 10-pounder to a 12-pounder before trying to go bigger. I also realize that I am very attached to the handle on the Kobalt brand hammer, but 10 lbs. seems to be the heaviest weight they make. So, for now and for the immediate future, that's where I am.

I've really enjoyed reading all the shovelglove stories here over the past year and I truly feel that it has been a life-changing workout program for me. Along with No S and some jogging, it has helped me lose more than 20 lbs. and completely changed the shape of my body. Thanks and good luck to everyone here.

blujay

Post by blujay » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 am

It's funny, I first started with an 8 pounder, and then ordered a 12 pounder from Amazon a year or two later. Now and then I have thought about using the 8 again, but I keep going back to the 12. Both have hickory handles, which I like. When my hands get sweaty I just wipe down the handle and my hands with a rag. I like the earthiness of the wood handles. :)

Anyway, I haven't been very consistent with my shugging, but I'm back at it again, and loving it. Also doing some urban ranger with a friend! It's great. And No-S'ing. Maybe in a year or two if I stay consistent I can consider moving up to a 14 or 16 pounder, but I have a long, long way to go before I've exhausted this one.

Thanks for posting and keeping the forum alive. :)

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:50 pm

20 pounds. Nice; keep it up.

I really like the hickory handles, but the aren't very good for real work. One misplaced blow and they shatter. Home Depot sells a line of sledgehammers with a fiberglass and rubber handle. I think they're called RockForge. My local store caries 6-16# (no 14).

BluJay - If your hands are getting slippery you could try climber's chalk. REI sells a bag that'll last forever for a few bucks.