Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 am

Thank you Tessy! :)

Today was a success, but got a little tricky because we ended up eating dinner so late. My daughter had karate & we picked up food afterward which meant we didn't actually eat till 8. I had lunch at noon so was starving. Made it through w glass of milk but will be careful not to do that again.

Break: pancakes, sausage, yogurt, mocha
Lunch: salad, cornbread, chips & dip
Glass of milk
Dinner: 1/2 burrito, chips & guacamole, grapes & a sangria (proud of myself for wrapping up 1/2 the burrito for later--they're huge!)

Exercise: none :/
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:29 am

Well done for hanging on today. It seems that we really need meal regularity at the moment. I don't know if that is always going to be the case. But I have noticed that we often are at risk of failing when our regular meal times are disrupted for some reason. You did really well to remember the milk strategy! It's a good one. All this and still half a burrito to enjoy later :) good stuff.
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:12 am

Thanks Tessy! Yep definitely need to keep regular mealtimes as much as possible. Too hard to be rational when I'm overly hungry!

Today was a green day--yay! I'm SO glad tomorrow is an S day. Really need a break from the constant diligence. Don't want to go crazy & eat everything in site but just want to relax my eating for 2 days so no structured S days for me.

Break: fried egg w toast, peaches, mocha
Lunch: grilled chicken, rice, beans, a tortilla
Another slightly smaller mocha
Dinner: 1/4 quesadilla, spring roll, broccoli soup, chips & dip (leftover night!)
2 glasses sangria

Was still hungry after dinner & had a moment of panic but remembered it takes 20 mins or so to feel full so had another glass of sangria & waited. Sure enough I felt satiated soon after & was fine.

Exercise: none

After 100 days will work on drink limit & exercise goals.

Yay for tomorrow. Need chocolate!

tamburello32

Post by tamburello32 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:17 am

Good point, I am often surprised when I get hungry all of a sudden ... and then I just wait a few minutes and it goes away ... often without doing anything at all.

I just get distracted doing something else so I don't think about it ... or if that doesn't work I drink one or two big glasses of water and wait. Of course you have to do something when you feel hungry 'cause if you just sit there and think about how hungry you are and do nothing ... you'll eventually give in and forbidden tasty foods will be really tempting ... you'll just start thinking about all the good food you could be eating now ... that would be torture !!

I try to avoid things that I have issues with. For me it's often cookies, crackers, pita bread, bagels ... I try not to buy too many things I have trouble resisting ... For example if I go to the store and they have a deal on salty potato chips, 4 large bags for 6$ ... and I buy all 4 of course thinking I won't have to buy any for a long time ... and I'll be able to resist ...they may be gone in less than a week and then I gained 5 pounds and think ... why did I buy those in the first place !! ;-(

Also going to bed when you are hungry works .. When I have issues with hunger it is often late at night so if I sleep it off, no damage done ...

Hope all goes well.
Weight loss goal : 25.0 pounds within 115 days. I have lost 5.0 pounds within 15 days now. Checking in once or twice per week. ;-) White male, 38 years old.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:15 am

Hi tamburello!

It's weird but after years of doing the non-diet thing I no longer have issues with certain foods. All foods are created equal more or less in my mind but it was more the constant (& I mean constant) snacking that was out of hand for me. It really takes the joy out of eating when you don't allow yourself to get hungry. NoS has really helped organize my eating so that I have enough at each meal & I get to feel hungry enough to really enjoy those meals.

Of course my S days are still reminiscence of my old way of eating... Today I ate quite a bit. Fun, yes but I feel a bit ill. Hopefully tomorrow I can reign it in a bit....

Chocolate, yogurt, mocha, bread w cheese & prosciutto, iced tea, sushi, beer, pizza, cookies, milk.... Oh my!

:)

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Hi Linda. I know what you mean. One big joy of noS is I no longer have good or bad foods just plates of food :) also I am really feeling hungry between my meals and I am trying to train my brain to relish that feeling. It means I have not blown it and that I might be losing weight and that I am in control. As you say when you get to eat that next meal it is wonderful. I had lost that feeling as was always told that I must never let myself get hungry! Hence my chronic snack habits! Have a good week, your journey has inspired me right from the start.
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:33 am

Yeah that hunger is scary at first Tessy. I think it reminds me of my old starvation/deprivation days but the hunger lessens and now I just remind myself that a big satisfying meal is right around the corner.

Today wasnt a failure since it was an S day but ugh I totally overdid it. Feeling stuffed. Baked a cake & ate quite a bit of frosting and batter along the way. Had no real breakfast or lunch but quite a lot of nibbling and then a big plate of Chinese food for dinner followed by some cake (cake was good!!).

Want to try another structured S day next week because this doesn't feel so good. On another note, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in a window yesterday & felt really good about what I saw! Usually I cringe at the sight of my full length reflection but I'm definitely feeling smaller. (Well maybe not after today).

So glad tomorrow is Monday!!

jw

Post by jw » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:46 am

Happy Monday -- we get to not overeat . . . I feel the same, Linda! Good luck this week!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:44 am

Thanks JW! Good way to put it " we get to not overeat". If its so miserable why are we continuing to subject ourselves to this?

I'm so frustrated with my S days. Woke with a serious food hang over and am starting to think sane S days are just not possible for me without some structure. I think it's like when I tried to do intuitive eating. It never worked for me because I'm just too damaged from all those years of dieting.

So I'm going to try imposing structure on S days till I get to my 100 days goal then ill re-evaluate.

S-day Plan
1) 3 plates
2) 1 small plate between lunch & dinner and one after dinner
3) sweets can be included on any plates
4) unlimited drinks--any kind
5) if I go out to eat ill allow a true S experience to allow for bread, appetizers, dessert etc (I don't tend to overeat when I go out so this should be fine. )

If I deviate from this it will be a red day. I feel much better just typing this plan up. I felt pretty ick today and felt like I undid all my hard week from the previous week. I'm determined to make S days enjoyable though so will just experiment till I get there.
Last edited by lpearlmom on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:47 am

Oh yeah today was a green day but almost blew it w too many tastes of the sauce I was cooking. Curry just smells so dang good when it's cooking.

Break: poached egg, 2 pieces toast, fruit, mocha
Lunch: Chinese food, yogurt, chips, dip
Dinner: curry w rice, Chinese food, watermelon, sangria

Exercise: walked dogs, swam a few laps

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:34 am

Success!

Break: oatmeal, fruit, 2 pieces bacon, mocha
Lunch: 1/2 order fries & 1/2 grilled chick sandwich ( I tend to eat less when I'm w friends), another mocha
Dinner: bean & beef burrito, rice, guacamole & chips, 1 sangria

Walked dogs

May need to cut back on beverages but its ok for now.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

Hooray, you are doing so well :) your run of greens is awesome, Linda you are in charge here, what a great thought.
Thank you for your generous support. It means so much. You will see I have now added in a planned snack - good advice as always, you are a wise woman :)
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:40 am

Yay Tessy--I'm so glad you're hanging in there and thank you for all your support as well. So much easier going through this with others even if its just virtually. :)

Success!

Break: cereal w fruit, mocha
Lunch: rice, chicken curry, yogurt, nuts, fruit
Another mocha
Dinner: fish & chips, grapes, 1 sangria

Exercise: very wimpy 14 mins of floor routine :)

No issues today.

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:30 am

Well done Linda!
You're stacking up those greens! :)
Finally found a lifestyle change, not a diet!
Starting weight 167 lbs
Goal is to lose 20lbs in time for my wedding!

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:31 am

This sangria you mention, do you make it yourself? Do tell :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks clarebear! You are doing so great as well. Keep it up!

Tobiasmom sometimes I just buy it pre-made at Trader Joe's but often I'll make a big batch for the week. Here's the recipe I usually use:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree- ... index.html

Enjoy! 8)

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Linda,
Thanks for dropping by my thread. It beats ranting to myself! Keep up the green!
Kat
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:29 am

Thanks Kat!!

Green day! I wasn't feeling well but still managed to eat a fair amount!

Break: yogurt & granola, mocha
Lunch: soup, fries
Another mocha
Dinner: 2 pieces of pizza, salad, milk

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:50 am

Good job :) kept green even when feeling bit poorly, this sounds like an established habit to me :lol: hope you feel better soon Linda :)
Tessy

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:33 pm

I hope you're feeling better! I've got the awful cold that's going around here so I'm taking an extra S day today and hoping I can eat anything at all. When I'm really sick I like lots of liquids and hot comfort foods but even those don't sound appealing today.

When I feel better I might just make up that sangria recipe, though! ;)

jw

Post by jw » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:10 pm

sorry you're not feeling well, Linda. Hope you're recovered in time for an enjoyable S-weekend!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:38 am

Thank you so much for the well wishes JW & ok and sorry you're not feeling well also ok! Hope you're better soon ok & let me know if you get a chance to make the sangria at some point!

I'm still not feeling great but ran around all day getting ready for a party we're having tomorrow. Hopefully I'll be better tomorrow!

Had a green day & managed to eat a lot still (I have to be bed ridden sick to lose my appetite.

Break: cereal, mocha
Lunch: chicken salad & 2 tofu rolls
Tall green tea frappuccino
Dinner: subway sandwich, chips & dip (could half stopped at 1/2 sandwich but oh well).

Tomorrow's plan

S day till 2pm (party time)
Dinner
Small plate of dessert
Unlimited drinks

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:08 am

Have a lovely party. Wishing you well to enjoy it especially the unlimited drinks :lol:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:15 am

Thanks Tessy! Had a great party but my plan was pretty laughable. I happily nibbled all day, but I'm not upset about it. Guess I needed an S day all day after all. Taking another one tomorrow. Not ready for structured S days just yet.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:43 am

Ok weekend eating wise but not great. Lots of snacking just cuz I can, but not so satisfying.

I'm pretty good at N days but not am really bad at S days. Oh well something to work on.....

Looking forward to tomorrow as usual!

okbyxmas

Post by okbyxmas » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 pm

Hey, Linda! Don't look at your S days as something you're 'bad' at. We're allowed to snack on those days and as Reinhard says it's all a process. Sounds like you're aware of your S day behavior and what you want to change and that's part of it, right?

Have a great N day today!

jw

Post by jw » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Listen to OK, Linda -- it's a process and it will all settle down eventually. I can already feel the S Day crazies receding a little after about three months -- Saturday I ate N-normally all day, then jogged myself to go buy a treat so that I wouldn't get all resentful by Wednesday! My main S-thing this weekend was seconds: I have these cute little hand-sized earthenware bowls that I love, but that are not really big enough for N days. They are made for S days! It sounds to me as if you are right on target with your N days and your S days!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Thank you for the encouragement JW & ok! I'm okay with riding it out but just worried my S days won't get better, but JW you give me hope.

I guess the trick is too get my S days to look like how a "normal" eater might relax their eating or splurge a little. My S days still look like a girl whose unsure of when her next meal might be!

I just need to be a little more patient with myself. :?

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:14 pm

5 good days a week have got to be better than 7 days of overeating.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:24 am

Yeah when you put it like that oolala, it really puts it into perspective. And 7 days of overeating was exactly what I was doing before. I think I'm just going to stop worrying about S days for now.

Thanks oolala!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:59 am

Success!

Break: scrambled eggs, toast, mocha
Lunch: salmon burger, butternut squash
Dinner: vegetable stew w rice, corn, 2 mini tacos, 1 sangria

Was pretty hungry still after dinner. I need to make sure I put enough on my plate but I know I'll be ok. I'll have a nice big breakfast in the morning.

Also, I bought an iced tea maker which is helping to solve the problem of too many drinks during the day.

Exercise: walked dogs
Last edited by lpearlmom on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:42 am

Bugs for breakfast?

Wonder how you felt after awhile after dinner. I'm amazed sometimes how satisfied I feel an hour after eating.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:02 am

Does it say bugs? Says eggs on my computer but then again I wouldn't be surprised. I miss a lot of my typos on here in my haste!

Yes I was absolutely fine 30 or mins or so after but it did make dinner clean up a lil more challenging. Either way, looking forward to breakfast.

Also just realized I'm on my 53rd day. More than halfway towards my 100 day goal--yay!!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Wow Linda that's amazing! Have you had much failures? I don't remember reading about any. Good on ya, what an inspiration :D
So what's this tea maker all about? :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi Sinnie!!

I haven't had any failures yet! I have gone against my S day plans but not counting as a red since well since I decided you can't really do an S day right or wrong.

Oh yes so I picked up a iced tea maker and have been making my favorite Good Earth iced tea to drink during the day: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Earth-Origin ... B000F6SNPS

It's so good that you don't even need sugar & also caffeine free. I'm still drinking my mocha in the morning and sangria at night but this helps me from needing an extra mocha in the afternoon.

I saw on your thread the unlimited drinks have really helped you. They have really made it possible for me to stick to this & are easily manipulated later if desired.

Linda :)

jw

Post by jw » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Congrats, Linda! You're the poster child for "Just do it!" I am sure you'll make it to 100 and beyond -- but even more rewarding, you have a brand new strong habit to sustain you!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Wow Linda. 53 days, you are just amazing!! This is your time, I am so pleased for you. Over halfway to the magic 100 days. What a milestone that will be :)
Tessy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:00 am

In 44 months, I think I haven't actually gone 53 days with no fails since my first three months. Hmm...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:48 am

Thank you Tessy & jw!

Oolala I think I'm kind of afraid if I have a red day, I will completely unravel and go back to my old way of eating. It's good to know I don't have to be perfect for this to work though.

Green day

Break: oatmeal, turkey bacon, fruit, mocha
Lunch: veg stew w rice, chips & dip, fruit
Dinner: twice baked potato, fish bake, artichoke 1 sangria

Exercise: walked

Felt really envious of my daughters ice cream & cookies dessert. Will have to save that for Saturday.

Feeling smaller everyday & even fit into an old pair of size 14 pants--yay!

So tired tonight. Will have to catch up on everyone's threads tomorrow!

jw

Post by jw » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:12 am

I know that fear, Linda -- that's why I was so bent out of shape last week when the dog ate my brunch and I ended up with a red day! It was my first (except for vacation, which I didn't really count). But you really do just get up the next day and start all over again. In a way, breaking the spell was reassuring -- it's just a dropped stitch in the big picture! I really admire how committed you have been, and how encouraging to your fellow No S-ers.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:34 pm

jw, thank you for that metaphor. A dropped stitch. Come to think of it, I'm not even sure why a dropped stitch isn't more serious to the garment being made, but I know it doesn't destroy things.

I'm pretty sure everyone has red days eventually.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Great analogy JW! I didn't realize that was your first official red day. I would have felt rattled too!

I'm sure I'll have a red day at some point oolala. I just hope I bounce back as easily as you both!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:01 am

Green

Break: cereal, fruit, 1/2 break burrito, mocha
Lunch: Cobb salad
Another mocha
Dinner: spaghetti & meatballs, salad, biscuits , glass of wine

Good day. Had lunch w friend & my salad was much smaller than I expected and was also very lightly dressed. Also my friend only ate 1/2 her food so I felt obligated to leave some food on my plate. I was worried it wasn't going to be enough but made it to dinner no problem. Already looking forward to the weekend but not desperate for it.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:54 am

Green

Break: cereal, fruit, nuts, mocha
Lunch: cup of soup, salmon burger, apple
Dinner: grilled chicken sandwich, chili fries

Daughter had choir performance so didn't eat till 730 (lunch was at noon). I was starving &still hungry after dinner but fine soon afterward.

Exercise: took a very short walk

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:28 am

Green day

Break: 2 pieces of toast w pb, honey & bananas, mocha
Lunch: bagel w cream cheese, cup of soup, another mocha
Dinner: stir fry w udon noodles, veggies, beef & scallops, glass of wine

Been feeling just slightly under the weather for several days. Just very lethargic, little achy & flushed. Not sure whats going on but have a very full weekend ahead so hope it clears up!

Foolishly looking forward to my S days!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:25 am

Well done on your steady progress. Hope you stay well to enjoy your S days. That's what they are for :)
Tessy

jw

Post by jw » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 am

Stay well, Linda! I am also really primed for S days this week -- something about the change of season, maybe? Anyway, enjoy!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:18 am

Thank you JW & Tessy! Feeling much better today. Definitely enjoying the drop in temperature JW.

A good S day finally! I just kept thinking that I didn't want to wake up feeling sick so kind of ate with that in the back of my mind all day.

Break: French toast, mocha
Normally (s day normal)I would have picked at the challah bread while I was preparing break but I realized I wouldn't enjoy my meal if I did that so refrained. Wow maybe I am learning something.

Lunch: yogurt, chicken salad, piece of chocolate
Snack: had a 1/2 piece of bday cake but it wasn't very good so didn't want to finish it.

Dinner: tuna on tortilla w melted cheese, couple chips, small bowl of ice cream for dessert

Wow I didn't plan that...just kind of told myself to get through the day but it came out looking pretty darn sane. Yay!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:17 am

Yay!!! S days are starting to shape up how you want them, that is so brilliant. Enjoy today. Glad your feeling better
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:33 am

Thank you Tessy! I saw your S was good too so yay for us & virtual high five to you! :)

Oh yeah also saw two old friends & they both commented on how good I looked! Funny how they noticed but hubby remains clueless. :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 am

Not too bad for an S day. Lotsa nibbling but nothing extreme. I'm not going to bed feeling stuffed which was my main goal so I'm feeling good.

Yay for Mondays!!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:22 am

Hooray, goal achieved. Have a good green week :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Sweet! Making eating decisions that allow you to both enjoy your food and the good feelings in your body then and later is a real boon. (Instead of what effect it's going to have on the scale, in which you're always fighting your desires.) Your adherence to it may vary, but don't get discouraged. Just practice any time you can and acknowledge yourself for it every time. Magnify the value of eating so that you experience the delight of your first bites of a meal waited for and minimize the fleeting pleasure of the random bites that keep you too full in between. I'm convinced that that is key to long-term contentment. I just believe that most people can't sustain the "outside" motivations of appearance, weight itself, or even health. But it's not necessarily a linear experience. Doesn't mean it isn't happening. Just keep going!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:22 pm

Thank you oolala!

I agree something immediate like not wanting to wake up feeling ill, is much more motivating than "well if I don't eat this I will maybe, hopefully lose weight sometime in a distant future".

My clothes are definitely feeling looser, but not my main motivator right now. I just don't ever want to feel as badly as I used to in regards to my eating. Not fun! THIS is fun! :)

Linda

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:30 am

Green! Portions seemed pretty large but that's typical of a Monday.

Break: fried egg, toast, 2 pieces of bacon, fruit, oj
Mocha
Lunch: Thai soup, yogurt, granola, fruit, nuts
Dinner: pad Thai noodles w shrimp, stir fry veggies, glass of wine

I was longing for seconds of my pad Thai noodles. I adore Thai food and would choose that over something sweet any day. I knew I could have the leftovers tomorrow though so put them in the frig, drank my wine & that was that. I love that my next yummy, satisfying meal is never far away!

I'm really noticing some nice changes in the mirror. My cheekbones are back & my double chin is almost non-existent! My shirts are much looser & my pants are a little less snug. It seems like I lose weight starting from the top. I guess my toes will be the last to see any action. :P

Still crazy to me that I'm losing weight while eating normal food & good sized portions. I'm exercising very little at this point but plan to commit to that after I reach my 100 day mark. One thing at a time.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:03 pm

WOW! That is so amazing, good for you Linda! What remarkable dedication and results to show for your efforts. Isn't it fantastic to think you can slim down while feeling so great? I don't remember one diet that ever did that for me.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:28 pm

You notice changes in the face, etc., first because the circumference of such places is smaller. Losing even 1/8 inch from your cheeks shows up more than 1/8 from your hips. It's all happening.

Toes haven't changed but my metatarsals sure show up more often! That's more a salt thing, I think.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:47 am

Yep that definite makes sense oolala!

Green day!

Went to sushi for lunch w a friend and was the first time virtually plating. I was a little nervous but it was fine. I just love the safety of keeping everything on one plate I guess.

My friend commented on how much thinner I looked and wanted to know what I was doing. I just don't feel ready to talk about NoS yet so I told her I had just been trying not to snack so much which is partially true. It just seems like the moment I tell someone (irl) I've committed to something, I suddenly feel all this internal, imaginary pressure and have this incredible urge to quit.

It's very odd and doesn't stop at weightloss plans so I've learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut till whatever I'm doing is completed or an ingrained habit. Not sure when I'll be ready to tell someone. Maybe at the 6 mos mark, a year, never?

Anyway I have time to figure that out.

Break: cereal, fruit, mocha
Lunch: sushi roll, house salad, glass of wine
Mocha
Dinner: pasta w meat sauce, garlic bread, tater tots, glass of wine

jw

Post by jw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:28 am

I'm with you, Linda -- I don't like to talk about diet in real life, especially with people who are not dieting! The great value of these boards is filling that need to compare notes and talk about our difficulties and triumphs.

It's wonderful that people are starting to notice your new, trim self! Payoff time! I am not there yet -- but I think I started with a lot more "baggage" than you did!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:42 pm

Hiya, I think NoS is so great because it doesn't require you to tell anyone - there's no food group you can't eat! Just no sweets might be obvious to some but that's not a biggie.

Now, I'm a big sharer of NoS but I still love that it's my choice who and when to share it with.

And well done on your sushi plating!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:35 pm

I didn't say anything for about 6 months and after that only to a small group, usually when they asked. It's not worth it to let people rain on your parade, especially when most of them, bless their hearts, are coming from the same dysfunctional (IMHO) place as the diet industry is. They don't even realize the miserable failure rates they're advocating while the populations of France, Italy, and Japan are staring them in the face. It's not about just what they eat; it's the cultural support for little snacking, meal-based eating, good quality food, savoring, and not overeating. Sure, that's no picnic to recreate here, but it's got to be more doable than 60% of your population writing down every bite they eat and veering from all raw foods to veganism to paleo. Those are all decent choices for their own reasons, but for weight loss?

All we are SAYing is give moderation a chance!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:44 pm

Six months sounds about right oolala. I think you hit the nail on the head about not wanting anyone to rain on my parade. I'll wait till my confidence is less shaky.

JW or it may be that I have more to lose so the difference is more obvious! Of course hubby hasn't noticed or at least hasn't mentioned it. I'm actually surprised I've lost any noticeable amount of weight. I feel like I'm still eating a lot & I haven't been exercising much at all. It's actually kind of frightening to think how much I must have been eating before!

Eschano, I think it's great you're comfortable sharing NoS. You may end up really helping someone!

Linda :)

jw

Post by jw » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:28 pm

Oh no, Linda -- by "baggage," I meant pounds! I am still at 215 and not yet sporting that enviable chiseled look around the jaw line! Luckily, I have some great clothes that I can feel and look good in for as long as it takes -- that makes such a difference! But it will be a while before I am getting into size 14's! You enjoy those compliments -- they are deserved and husbands are the last to notice!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:39 pm

Funny I am not telling anyone either. In some ways it feels like a special secret, my own world. Unlike a diet it feels like I am attempting such a deep personal change. Linda you are doing so brilliantly. I am so delighted for you :) virtual plating is so challenging you did really well to managed it and keep to your aim of 100 days.
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:51 am

Oh no JW I knew you meant weight but just wasn't sure what your starting point was! :) I potentially have 40-50 lbs to lose but am just going to trust my body to get to where it needs to be. Good clothes definitely help. I only have a few things I really love to wear but hopefully I can go shopping soon!

Thank you so much for your ongoing support & encouragement Tessy! It means a lot to me. It is a special secret--you're right!

Linda

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:58 am

Green day #62

Break: oatmeal w fruit & nuts, mocha
Lunch: pad Thai noodles, yogurt, piece of fruit
Another mocha
Dinner: miso soup, chicken curry w rice

Very reasonable day but I'm worried I'm going to have curb my drinks once my weight starts to plateau. Oh well cross that bridge later.

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:36 am

I don't think you need to worry about drinks yet as everything else is spot on :) like you say you can think about that later on :)

:D
Starting weight 167 lbs

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:38 am

P.S 1 step closer to 100 days today!! :D
Starting weight 167 lbs

jw

Post by jw » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:59 am

You are wisely not weighing, Linda -- so you won't need to get into worrying about plateaus for a while! Keep drinking your milky drinks and enjoy them -- you're having such good success with your current regimen!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:09 pm

Perhaps, but I think you'd be surprised, with time, how far you can go even with those drinks. I know personally, I maintained at a slim weight while still binging every few days. If you maintain such moderation every day, I can't imagine a mocha or two having much impact :) Like you said, you'll cross that bridge if you have to! You are soooo amazing at keeping with this, great job.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:10 pm

Thank you guys for all the great support!!

You guys are right. I've had this mocha habit since college. I was a size 6 then so yeah I think it's everything else that's the issue rather than the mochas.

Definitely not going to weigh myself JW. It's all about how I feel & yeah those compliments definitely don't hurt. :)

Clarebear--yep 100 days here we come!

Linda

Kittykat150

Post by Kittykat150 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 pm

You know, it is interesting that I haven't told anyone I am following this plan either. It is like "our little secret". It is so helpful to be able to come here and share my concerns and embarrassments and dysfunctional food rants with you. You are a wonderful, safe, supportive network of people and I thank you very much.
Kat :wink:
"Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." -Harriet Beecher Stowe

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:02 pm

I don't tell people either, although I am a pretty private person. I guess I don't want to sound stupid, as admittedly I think people do when talking about diets. Like, they sound so gullible...but I just nod in agreement and smile. No S is truly like a little secret and I love it.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:30 am

I agree Sinnie & Kat! I guess we have our own secret club of sorts then! :)

Today was a green day. Very hungry due to Pms but just ate a little more at my meals. I couldn't do that on a regular diet. Then I'd probably just end up breaking my diet & binging. This is so much saner.

Break: scrambled eggs, toast, oj , mocha
Lunch: cheeseburger & salad
Dinner: pizza, salad

Exercise: walked around the zoo for 3 hrs!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 am

Now that's what I call exercise! Thank you for sharing your plates. It has been very helpful for me. Also good to hear you can step up if needed what other eating plan could you do that on!! Have a lovely weekend with your girls. Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:33 am

Yes was exhausting & fun Tessy!

Today went fine food wise but just feeling grumpy & tired. Too much running around I guess. Feeling like gummy bears & chocolate for breakfast. Hmmm should be an interesting weekend.

Break: peanut butter toast, yogurt, fruit, mocha
Lunch: cup of soup, 1/2 chicken sandwich, mocha
Dinner: Taco Bell--piled plate but luckily couldn't finish it. Sangria

Read everyone's thread today but just too tired to respond right now.....

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:18 am

Just let the weekend be whatever it needs to be and relax in to it. You are clearly very tired. So you need to just go with the flow, be kind to yourself, eat whatever you fancy. thank goodness for noS it covers just these type of times so brilliantly :) I hope you feel restored very soon :)
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:18 am

Thanks for the advice Tessy. Yes I was definitely too tired to think straight. Luckily was a good weekend. :)

Woke up early Saturday morning & shoved about five gummy bears in my mouth and then went back to sleep. After that there's not much to report. Very moderate weekend. So yay!

Took my girls shopping today & saw a very comfy looking Ralph Lauren sweat suit I wanted to try on but just not quite ready to face the dressing room mirror yet. I may go back tomorrow & just buy it straight off the rack which is what I usually do.

I'm guessing I still have plenty of over the top S days in my future but just glad to experience some sane ones. Definitely gives me hope.

Linda

jw

Post by jw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:47 pm

Congrats on the calm weekend, Linda! I think it must be your reward for sticking so faithfully to your N days. Have a great week!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Lpearlmom wrote: but just not quite ready to face the dressing room mirror yet. I may go back tomorrow & just buy it straight off the rack which is what I usually do.
Carine Roitfeld says she always wears an underdress when going shopping because - I'm paraphrasing here - it's nicer to seee yourself in an underdress between trying on things as the dressing room light is the harshest and most unflattering light and she doesn't see why she would put herself through it - or any women for that matter. :D
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:31 pm

Thank you JW! I hope that's it. It does seem like being able to eat non-stop is losing some of its charm.

Thanks eschano--I love that idea!

jw

Post by jw » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:45 pm

Great idea, eschano! -- I used to be a dedicated Filene's basement shopper -- no dressing rooms -- so people just wore a leotard and tights under their clothes. That could work, too, Linda!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:55 pm

Great idea JW! That'll work really well for the sweat outfit. Hopefully I'll get over my fear of mirrors one day!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:05 am

Green day

Was a pretty good day.

Break: cereal, fruit, mocha
Lunch: leftover Chinese food, crackers w spinach dip, huge apple
Dinner: lasagna, bread, asparagus, sangria

Exercise: walked dogs

Was weird but today I did a search on my old NoS user name Drswife and barely recognized myself. I really struggled & was frustrated w lack of weight loss etc. I guess I have matured quite a bit (was in 08 ) I know I wasnt as strict with myself about following the rules & clearly did not give it enough time.

I'm so glad I had enough sense to come back and give it another go. NoS has been such a blessing in so many ways. I feel really grateful for this board & this program. :-)

jw

Post by jw » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 am

You've caught the wave this time, Linda! The time was right and you were ready, unbeatable combination!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:08 pm

Linda this a powerful insight that you were perhaps just not ready enough last time. You are such a shining beacon of hope to me so I have found it very moving to think you can come back and make this work as well as you have. Thank you for sharing that
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:47 am

Thank you Tessy!! You always know how to put things in the most positive light. I hope you can do that for yourself at times as well.

Today was a green day--yay! Was a little tricky because of the silly small lunch I had, but I got through it!

Break: fried egg, toast, fruit, oj
Mocha
Lunch: 3 pieces sushi, side salad, glass of wine (had lunch w a friend)
Another mocha
Dinner: steak sandwich, pumpkin soup, chips w guacamole, sangria

Exercise: none unless you count walking around the mall :)

Tomorrow we are having friends over for dinner that we haven't seen for a long time. I really want to partake in dessert & maybe appetizers so may take my first S event on a non S day. (Ok I don't know the lingo yet!)

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:36 am

Hi Linda! It's great to read you.... I like the idea of 'S events'. It makes life so much more fun because we are still 'on plan'. This programme is so magic, isn't it? I also read what you said before about your past entries. I read the NoS book over a year ago and tried to do it but I wasn't ready then either and it caused frustration somehow. A few dodgy diets and food plans later, and I am such a massive advocate of NoS. I have been telling everything at work. One of my close friends and her husband have started doing it and are loving it!!! They are calling it the 'boarding school diet'. We all went to boarding school together and we weren't allowed/given anything between meals so it's quite familiar to all of us!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Thank you kookie! Yes sometimes I think it's just a matter of being ready! Definitely feel like I'm "riding that wave" as JW so aptly described. :)

I love that name "boarding school diet".

Linda

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:27 am

Yay my S event went well but not sure if this constitutes as a yellow or green day or maybe a striped yellow & green day? Anyway so glad I was able to do that as our friends lingered a long time and I was really able to enjoy the evening with them.

Break: muffin, yogurt, apple, mocha
Lunch: Thai noodle salad, banana, pumpkin soup
Dinner: short ribs, salad, bread, wine
Other: had a couple bites of cheese & crackers & a bowl of ice cream for dessert but nothing major. Definitely didn't over-do it or anything.

Was nice to have a little break in my normal eating routine.

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:31 am

So glad you relaxed and enjoyed your food with friends, in many ways that is what 'normal' eating is all about, taking good events when they happen and not stressing about them. I long for that state of mind. You are already back in the groove, well done you :)
Tessy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Thank you Tessy!

Boy I am really struggling today. Really wanting to snack but the thought of going backward is just so unappealing that I know I will stick it out. An early dinner & a glass of wine should do the trick. Here's to pushing through the hard parts!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:59 am

Day 70!

Green day but touch & go for a bit between lunch & dinner. I thought I ate a good lunch but I guess it wasn't quite enough. Anyway I kept thinking about my goal of 100 days & pushed through to dinner. *phew*

As soon as I had dinner I was fine for the rest of the evening so it's good to know I can work through these rough spots.

Lunch: chicken Asian salad
Mocha
Dinner: tortilla casserole, chips & guacamole , glass wine

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:24 am

Well done :) keep going, I was wondering what day you had reached yesterday, 70 days, wow!! You are awesome. Especially when you started before and it did not stick. This is truly your time :lol:
Tessy

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Wow I am seriosuly so impressed it's not even funny. I've NEVER been able to do that. Your dedication is what I want to accomplish one day.

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Go Linda!!! 70 days - what a huge achievement!!! Do you feel like the habit carries you through most of the time? Even on days like yesterday when you ate too little for lunch, it doesn't really sound like that desperate white-knuckling that we all know so well from diet days! I also ate too little for lunch yesterday and rewarded myself with an extra big delicious supper. Achieving green days does something so great for self-esteem doesn't it?
xx

jw

Post by jw » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:35 pm

Yay, Linda! 70 days! Time to celebrate!

clarebear

Post by clarebear » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:45 pm

30 more days to go!! :-D I've got 32!
You're doing brill :)
Starting weight 167 lbs

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:23 pm

Thank you all so much!! I'm notorious for quitting things so sticking to this feels extra meaningful to me.

Kookie, it kind of feels like going off NoS is simply not an option. I just kind of know ill figure out a way to get through that tough moment. I think I'm learning I need very firm boundaries for myself. I've been doing that with my housework too & for the first time ever I have a clean house. When my mom came to visit she asked if the cleaning lady had just been there. (That's a first!)

Clarebear--you are doing so well! I just keep seeing that 100 days in my head and it's a great motivator somehow. I think because the thought of coming this far and then starting over at day 1 again just sounds really disappointing.

Tessy & Sinnie you will get there too. I know it!

I haven't weighed myself but I threw on some pants today to go run some errands. They were literally falling off me so grabbed some size 14 jeans on when I was at Costco. Granted they were stretch jeans but still oh so thrilled to say they fit--yay! I think I'm officially through with 18s!

On the other hand I'm worried that I've plateaued & won't continue to lose weight. I will just keep going & keep the faith!:)

Linda

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:01 pm

Friday--green

Lunch: cup of soup, bagel w cream cheese
Skinny mocha (wasn't too bad!)
Dinner: piece of short rib, lasagna, chips & guacamole, hummus & pita bread (was Starving at dinner but wasn't stuffed afterward so guess I needed it!)