Dusty's Diary - A Dog's Tale

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mondurvic

Dusty's Diary - A Dog's Tale

Post by mondurvic » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:10 am

If we can have a mouse, I say we can have a dog.

My mom will be starting (again) tomorrow, but is too embarrassed to post herself. I told her I read somewhere in this furum that failures are common, and starting ofur the norm, but she says she's not ready to show her face yet. Actually my face is much cuter than hers, and a whole lot furrier, too, so maybe she's got a point (and no, I am not a pointer, but rather an 8-pound mutt).

I will be reporting daily on how she's doing, whether it's a SUCCESS or a FURLURE. Hope you'll STAY to watch her HEEL. Ha-ha-ha-ha!!!!

Dusty the Dog

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:19 am

Hey Dusty!

So glad you decided to do this for your mom. Tell her from me, she doesn't need to be embarassed at all - us humans are not as smart as you dogs and we mess up a lot. Most people who've been here for a while have come and gone a few times too, so when she's ready to re-appear herself she'll be in good company! :)

Hope you have a good day together.
C.
CaroleJo

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:26 am

Welcome to the forum! Don't be shy! We all have failure days. :roll:
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

mondurvic

What my mom ate on Day 1

Post by mondurvic » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:00 am

Food dish 1 - 1 - 2 ham-asparagus roll-ups with mayo, 2 poached eggs, 2 slices toast, curried avocado puree

Food dish 2 - 3 pieces of toast with cheese, tomatoes and basil

Food dish 3 - 6 ham-asparagus roll-ups with mayo

It's kind of scary to finish off three plates-worth then submit your post. Who says there won't be a fourth, and a fifth, and a sixth? It's only 11 pm, and my mom's likely to be up for hours.

On the other hand, not posting, and ANTICIPATING more plates-full doesn't seem wise, either. So I'll post and hope for the best. Certainly, for now my mom is full.

Dusty the Dog