An Ethical dilemma

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
Graham

An Ethical dilemma

Post by Graham » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:27 pm

BBC news reported today that Facebook have resumed permitting videos showing beheadings. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24608499

I didn't know they'd been doing it before, but, as there was no means to complain, or say I didn't want them to do that I decided to leave Facebook, to delete my account.

That was easy enough but then, further on in the BBC article, to my horror, I discovered YouTube, who have given me access to so many wonderful music and dance clips publish beheading videos too! Now, leaving YouTube would really hurt! I guess ethical decisions of any significance cost something, or being good would be so easy we wouldn't need prisons, but I'm agonising a bit over this!

I was disappointed to find Facebook didn't even ask why I was closing my account, so I had no way to say what I objected to, and I'm concerned YouTube will be just the same, blind to my protest. So I'm writing here, wanting to share this sense of the vileness of making and showing videos of murders or executions, or being some big company willing to make money by publishing such monstrous things.

And how do I let YouTube know, and where do I search for wonderful music instead of YouTube? : Slight update, I did find where to send a complaint to YouTube, not sure if they'll reply to me, and I guess within a few days I'll have to decide what I mean to do about my dilemma.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:51 am

I understand you concern. I find beheading horrendous and should not be shared. I can not even imagine the terror of the victim leading up to and during the event.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79