Pynki's Point...

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

pynki

Pynki's Point...

Post by pynki » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:45 am

Hi!

No s.... what a novel idea. I heard about this diet several months, maybe a year ago. I didn't pay it much mind, it seemed a little *too easy*, but I'm now slightly more optimistic.

I'm possibly the largest person here, weighing in at 300 lbs. Over the last four years, I've fallen into a vicious cycle of yoyo dieting, and it has left me physically and emotionally exhausted.

I have always been a big girl, but it wasn't until i embarked on a quest for "health" that things got out of control. I just want to feel better, and end this stupid obsession with food. Dieting was the cause, freestyle eating isn't helping the matter.

This approach seems common sense, so here goes nothing. Yesterday was officially day one, unfortunately this common sense approach was a little harder to put into practice than I had predicted, and it was a FAILURE. However, today I made my meals more substantial, and voila, SUCCESS!

I'll be attempting the Weekend Luddite practice as well, i kinda like these everyday systems. Well okay.... I think the sweater-wrapped sledge hammer thing is a little kooky. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, thanks for listening.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:09 am

Good luck Pynki!
You can do this!!!!!
Don't go for perfection.. Just do your best!!!!
That's gonna work, promise :)

ps.. There are several Nossers who are similar sized with you..
And they all have lost weight!

I started around 230 and I'm only 5'3" and now I'm like 205...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:58 pm

Welcome! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Good to meet you pynki!
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

ceu

Post by ceu » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:34 pm

You can do it! :)

ps. welcome.

pynki

Post by pynki » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:22 am

Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

The day has been quite surreal. It was like any other until I was driving home, and a yellow corvette rear-ended me, hard. One moment I was driving, the next i was spinning out of control. Witnesses later told me i hit the center divider, and continued to spin, over to the other side before stopping on a steep slope overlooking an empty field. The corvette went through the fence, into the field below me. No one was hurt, thank goodness. I have never been in an accident before, even now I can hardly believe it really happened. My poor car's back end is completely caved in. I didn't speak to the man in the corvette, besides "Are you okay? Yes." One really bizarre part of the story is a fireman telling me the man rear-ended someone else in the same manner, earlier today. He seems to have some mental problems os some kind. I suppose more will be revealed tomorrow.

On a positive note, I have no appetite. :wink:

Here's to tomorrow, I hope everyone is well.

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:46 am

Hi pynki, I'm so sorry about your accident, and I hope you continue to be okay!

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:29 pm

Wow! That sounds really scary! I'm glad you're OK.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:45 pm

I've been in a few major car accidents over the years as I used to do lots of driving jobs... It's seriously frightening..
Sorry you had to live through that but consider yourself truly blessed!!!!
Glad you are okay, and you will get your appetite back soon enough..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

ceu

Post by ceu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:16 pm

whoah. I'm very glad you didn't get hurt.

pynki

Post by pynki » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:38 am

A sincere thanks to everyone. I have a new car now, I'm not sore anymore, and SUCCESS! Things seem to be on the up and up.

I will come back and read through all your journals. I love this site but I must retire. Just checkin in. Thanks for listening.

pynki

Post by pynki » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:42 am

and.... SUCCESS!

pynki

Post by pynki » Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:10 am

SUCCESS!

and a note: I seem to be sleeping much more soundly, especially this week. Could be related?

10ch

Post by 10ch » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:51 pm

Howdy pynki -- I am a newbie at the "No S" as well and I have been experiencing the same amount of sleepiness (at night) and I can tell I've slept deeply when I wake up in the mornings.

Glad to hear that everything's straightened out w/the accident. How do you like your new car?