Chani8's Dauntless Thread

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

chani8

Chani8's Dauntless Thread

Post by chani8 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:13 pm

There I was, needing guidelines for maintenance, when I stumbled upon the brilliant No S Diet.

FTR, I eat sugar free, mostly non-processed, organic when possible, kosher, and low carb.

I exercise throughout my day, in short spurts, and lately I've been incorporating exercises from shovelglove.com.

I don't have to be an urban ranger if I would just get out of my house and cross the street to the wide open desert there that has great trails. But for those times when I'm stuck in the house, which is often, I'm dauntless as I climb 23 stairs at a time, doing as many sets as I can in 14 minutes. I also try to drag my DH out the door for some urban rangering as many times a week as possible, even if just to walk to the grocery store.

I'm so glad to read on this site that walking is better than jogging because I got to the point in my walking that I actually tried jogging and decided I hate it. So I had to decide on how to progress. So now I throw on a (sand filled) backpack to make things (inconspicuously?) more challenging. It actually feels really dauntless to maneuver the streets with the backpack on. ;)

So, enter today, DAY 1 of logging:

14 minutes of 575 stairs
3.5 minutes of wood chops with 3kilo dumbbells.
1 set each side of both 'stoke the oven' and 'tuck bales' with 10k.
40 granny pushups.
A superset of 20 back flys (3 kilo), 40 rows (9 kilo), 1 minute steering wheel (3 kilo), and 60 ball slams.

chani8

Difficulty with portion control

Post by chani8 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:19 pm

I've been No S'ing for a couple weeks now, and during the week, I feel GREAT! It's really helping me to not snack, and therefore not think about food so much.

But those Yes S days are just too much. I have no self control, and suffer so much from the overeating. Its not even the snacking on that day, it's the seconds. I take seconds and thirds of each course, of a three course meal! If that's not bad enough, we eat two big family meals on Saturday. Ouch. I've got to stop. Insert self-control. Somehow.

chani8

Battle plan for the Diet

Post by chani8 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:44 am

I think I'm doing ok with the No S days, but I really need a battle plan for Yes S days. So I'm going to have to think this through. What happens is that all the kids are home and we're in party mode and so we make lots of food and desserts and snacks. I think that to start, I have to insist on "No seconds" of anything. As well, I need to see the whole meal in my mind and envision portions that would all fit onto one plate/setting. That would probably cut my portions significantly, as I usually eat each course like it's a whole meal unto itself. <sigh>

I also keep toying with the idea of making only one dessert. I mean, really, how many desserts does one need???!! It's just that making them is so fun! The apple pie or mint ice cream seem to be really satisfying as desserts, so stick with them.

Skipping salads is a great idea, despite complaints from the kids. We can eat a whole big salad as one of our meals, instead of as a course.

Now, about snacking. Is there some way to spread out my favorite foods throughout the week as part of my No S meals, rather than stuff them all in my face on the weekend?!

Snacks that I love are Bamba, Popcorn, Peanut Butter, and Fruit. It seems that Popcorn is the only problem here, as it's high calorie and easy to eat tons of. It totally triggers me to binge, too. So, what to do???

To be continued . . .

jw

Post by jw » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Let the S days roll, chani8 -- I know it feels counterintuitive when you're being disciplined all week, but trying to tweak them and limit them too soon in the process can undermine your N days. I do like your strategy of trying to have some favorite foods during the week -- as long as they are not desserts, anything is fair game as long as it fits on the plate and stops there! Best of luck!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks, JW, for taking the time to read and comment. :)

The only reason I'm in a hurry to figure out this "Yes S day" stuff is because overeating is so painful to my tummy.

So today I've been working on a plan and I think my main issue is eating seconds of each course. LOL How embarrassing to admit that. One serving per course is enough, and I'm going to practice mindfulness while eating, savoring the yummy food. After all, all pleasure is rather short in duration, and all we can do is focus on it when it's happening, and be grateful for it. And know that the pleasure will be there again, at the next meal.

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:07 pm

I made the mistake of restricting my calories these past two days to try to make up for the past weekend. All it's done is make me lazy and hungry. My goal is fitness, not the darn scale. I am making great progress in toning. I'm seeing muscles and feeling strong.

However, the scale keeps fluctuating and it freaked me out on Friday morning. Yet when I weighed again Sat night, with clothes on, as a joke to myself, the joke was on me when I was 3 pounds lighter, even with the clothes on and after binge eating for two days.

So, toss the scale, get this No S Diet down to help me learn portion control, and onward we go! Where's my shovelglove . . .

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Trying to make up for a weekend is no bueno. After a tough weekend, just hold yourself accountable for the week. That is why Saturday and Sunday start with an S. Almost as if they were preordained. :shock:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:06 am

You're so right, Over43! I'm back doing the No S thing the right way, not being stingy. And I'm so much happier!!!

I have really learned my lesson on the overeating though. I'm looking forward to being tested . . . not! I am preparing a weekend menu (and my DH totally supports it) that is enjoyable but not grossly overindulgent.

Here it is: (eruv Shabbat)
Breakfast - shakshooka (eggs in tomato sauce) and vegetables.
Lunch/snacks - Coffee with coconut cream, and Popcorn!
Dinner - Wine and homemade bread called challah.
Chicken, zucchini or broccoli, all in a coconut curry sauce, and quinoa.
Dessert will be homemade ice cream.

The next day: (Shabbat)
Brunch - Wine and challah. Beef with zucchini and quinoa, ice cream.
Snacks - Coffee with coconut cream, and Bamba
Dinner - Salad with tehina dressing, coleslaw, peanut butter and jelly on challah. Ice cream for dessert.

For my kids, I'll make brownies and buy them ice cream and puddings.

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:10 am

Doing the DAUNTLESS thing!! (Dauntless is from the books Insurgent and Divergent.)

3.5 min of jump roping
4 min of wood chopping
and 100 pushups!

4 min of primal thrusts (hip raises for glutes)
3.5 min of loading the truck (got exercise idea from HASfit's 10 min standing abs routine)
2 sets of standing abs routine with HASfit.com

14 minutes of stairs with weighted backpack (5 kilo)

3.5 min each of shoveling, belly dancing, and Zumba.
3.5 min combining 10 reps each of stoking, tucking, churning, stirring, pickups, get ups, woodchops, and hammering.
2 sets of blaster butt with HASfit.com

My new year resolution for 2014 is to try to do 14 minutes of exercise every day except Shabbat and holy days. :)

chani8

Post by chani8 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:59 am

I totally kicked butt yesterday, and have a sore booty to prove it! Hurray!!

Today's No S Day's menu:

8am anti-diabetes meal of flax seed oatmeal and a coffee with cinnamon and coconut cream (after my vitamins and apple cider vinegar.)

Breakfast - 3 eggs, cabbage, kimchi.

Lunch - shwarma, salads, tehina.

Dinner - chicken breast, salad with seeds, zucchini.

Exercise - 14 minutes, that's 4 songs! of anything/something!!

GOT IT! - 14 min including shoveling, churning, stoking, tucking, and chopping!

chani8

Post by chani8 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:42 pm

Today is a perfect No S Day, meaning, it's exactly what is supposed to happen, that I eat my three (ok, four) meals, and don't have to think about food much at all. I just love this freedom! The only problem is that I haven't figured out what to do with my extra time. LOL

I've been working on developing my own shovelglove routine. I have to figure out the actions and visualizations that work for me. My goal is to have a simple and fun routine that I can do (almost) daily. I do have to say that shovelglove exercise really kick butt. Wow. They're really hard work. That's a good thing, obviously. :)

Brainstorming my exercises:

Shoveling Dragon's poop.
Taming the Dragon (aka stoking oven).
Slamming sledgehammer on Dragon's tail.
Driving fence post to chain the Dragon.
Tucking Dragon's tongue in mouth (aka tucking bales)

Churning enough butter to feed the Dragon.

Steering the Dragon.
Feeding the Dragon.
Picking up the Dragon's paw.
Get ups in the Dragon's saddle.
Boxing Dragon's ears in!
Batting the Dragon in the butt.

Stirring the Cauldron to feed the Dragon.
Slamming Dragon's tail down.
Playing Fetch with Dragon.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi Chani,
I read those books. Go dauntless. :)
You seem to definitely be a dauntless in real life with your kick-butt workouts and careful eating!
Do you eat "anti-diabetes" as a preventative or do you have blood sugar regulation problems (low or high)?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:14 am

Thanks for your support, Auto!!

I see we're both 5'2". :)

We started eating anti-diabetes over a year ago when my DH was diagnosed with diabetes. After a year of low carbing, he's no longer diabetic!

We did get off track with our low carbing at one point, for about 3 months (lots of pizza and apple juice), and that's when I got a diagnosis of pre-diabetes. So we jumped back on to low carbing and I feel much better. I'll be doing a check up in the near future, so we'll see what the numbers say.

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:04 am

I had two great Yes S days and I'm proud of myself. I did eat too many calories, but I didn't stuff myself all in one sitting, so I didn't have a stomach ache at all. It was really great. My kids even appreciated not having so many courses and so much food. Wow.

I was doing great on my 14 minutes a day until yesterday. First of all, having TOM was a big part of it and understandable. I did manage to get 8 minutes in, it's just that those 8 minutes kicked my butt, so I stopped before getting the full 14 minutes in. I'm not sure if I'll really be able to do a full 14 minutes all at once of that kind of intense exercise. I think it's a goal, though. But usually I workout for shorter spurts throughout my day.

I'm wrestling with myself on this. I think the solution is to mix some easy exercises in with the hard and make the darn 14 minutes!!

I did get some Rangering in, and I love it! And now that I can call it Urban Rangering, I don't even mind the times I have to walk through town vs the desert.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:09 am

Hi Chani,
I "urban rangered" to the grocery store today. It was pretty cool, but I probably looked a little eccentric pulling a wagon though the store.
Glad your yes S days went so well!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks, automatedeating! I love your siggy: "I have been freed from mindless snacking and eating when I'm mad or sad." That's certainly one of the ways that I've benefited from the No S Diet.

Did you say you were pulling a 'wagon'??? LOL Please describe.

Eccentric is good. ;)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Just wanted to say a belated welcome! Sounds like things are going well. You might not want to worry too much about exercise till you get your eating habit down. I found it much easier to wait a few months.

Anyway keep up the good work!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Thanks Linda! I grew up in Arizona. :)

I've been an exercise freak for the past year, but apparently I didn't do anything as intense as the shovelglove exercises. Whew, they.are.hard.
`Chani8
I'm a 44yo, married, Jewish, mother, and foster mom, living in Israel. I eat low carb, count calories, eat 'clean', love kosher, and live primal. I workout impulsively. I'm new to the No S Diet and I love it!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:26 pm

Ok if you've already got the exercise down then that's great!

Very cool about Az--what part? I guess you probably know there aren't many Jewish people here. Our family is apart of the tiny Jewish population here! :)

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:51 pm

How nice! My Mom lives in Scottsdale with her really sweet non-Jewish husband, and my brother is in Tempe, also married to a non-Jew. In fact, my husband's parents are not Jewish either. lol But somehow my husband became Jewish and we ended up orthodox. :)

I seem to go fanatic in all my endeavors! lol I'm hoping the No S Diet will be a nice moderate eating method.
`Chani8
I'm a 44yo, married, Jewish, mother, and foster mom, living in Israel. I eat low carb, count calories, eat 'clean', love kosher, and live primal. I workout impulsively. I'm new to the No S Diet and I love it!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:04 pm

Oh I love it! Actually scottsdale is the place to be if you're Jewish. I was raised by my Irish catholic mom who married a Jewish man so we celebrated everything. I married a Jewish guy and my sister married an Irish catholic one so I guess we split the difference. ;)

Sounds like you have the perfect personality for NoS. While it is about moderation, it takes complete dedication to really make it work.

Linda :)

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:28 am

I've been having tummy trouble this past week, and so today I sort of cheated on No S'ing. I added some comfort food (warm almonds) to my breakfast that I hadn't really planned on.

OTOH, I read that sick days can be Yes S days, so I'm trying not to feel guilty about it.

The rest of the day will be more planned out and simple. I eat real simple. Meat and zucchini for lunch. Mexican salad for dinner (meat on lettuce).

Tomorrow (Wed) and Thurs, I'll be on a mini vacation (work related) but also it's my 22 wedding anniversary, so I plan to, well, eat. A lot. :) I hope my tummy agrees with that. I plan to eat salad with every meal, protein and veggies, and some kind of sugar free dessert (fruit?). I guess I should consider how much overeating hurts my tummy and maybe take smallish portions. It's a plan, it's a goal, we.will.see. :) And I hope to walk after every meal, but not sure if there will be time between seminars.
`Chani8

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:31 pm

How exciting! Have fun celebrating your anniversary!

Probably your tummy hurts because you gave up coffee! Ha, ha, just kidding. But I am firm coffee advocate, and love the stuff. No one can convince me it's bad for me: I just tell them I'm staving off Alzheimer's, cancer, and every other health ailment. Plus, it's probably my greatest daily source of antioxidants. :wink:

And Sick Days are S days, most definitely! So I'm glad you're fighting off the guilt.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:05 pm

Wait a second, Auto! I did not give up coffee completely! NO WAY!! I still enjoy two mugs of (drumroll). . . organic!! coffee with coconut cream, every day. I try not to drink more than 4 a day. :) Btw, organic coffee is really lousy so you'd think I'd be able to kick the habit.
`Chani8

jw

Post by jw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:23 pm

Thanks for your kind words on my thread, chani -- yes, sick days are S days! as you said, we do what we need to do! Your menus look delicious, and I am sure you could have found room for those nuts on the plate -- so no worries at all.
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:27 pm

It's really nice to meet you No S'ers. It was kind of lonely on MFP, being the only No S'er.

I got my Dragon Tamer exercises in! 14 hard minutes, and I think the Dragon won! lol
`Chani8

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:10 am

What's MFP mean?

Oh, I guess you do love coffee! :) I have to admit, I do keep myself to a 4-cup limit. And I make my coffee pretty creamy so it's almost like a meal (the ultimate NoS indulgence is beverages, both of my favorite: coffee and wine).

So cool that you are a foster mom! My sister-in-law has started doing that, and I am in awe of her.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:11 am

myfitnesspal, that's what it means! Got it!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:49 pm

Four Yes S days coming to a close. Wow, that was a lot of eating and I enjoyed every minute of it.

This coming week, on Thur, will be another Yes S Day here in Israel, called Tu B'Shvat, a day when we celebrate the renewal of the trees, and eat lots of fruit. Since if falls out on a Thur, that means I'll have another three Yes S days in a row.

I guess I should come clean that my Yes S days are Fri and Sat because here in Israel we don't get a two day weekend. Since Fri is a day I cook a lot and never have time to sit for a meal, I make Fri and Sat my Yes S days.

I do want to brag that I got tons of walking in on my vacation, and even an awesome hike. I hoped that I burned off some of the calories.

Today I felt fat and lazy but managed to go for a short walk after lunch.

My last meal of the day was admittedly not a successful Yes S meal, as I overate just because I could.

That said, all the other meals were awesome and I had self-control (no binging) but indulged. I didn't stay low carb/no sugar, but didn't go crazy either. The highlight was a strawberry dipped in chocolate on a dollop of whipped cream. Awesome.

I did not log my calories this whole 4 days and I enjoyed that freedom. Not sure if I really want to go back to logging and counting calories, but that sounds scary, as I've been doing it for over a year. I do know that if I'm not careful, I will gain. Period. I've been monitoring myself for a few weeks on No S and see that if I don't choose my food wisely, I can easily eat way too many calories in a day. A big problem is that I eat 4 meals, not three, and that's probably what takes me over my calories. I need that early morning meal to balance blood sugar and get my gallbladder working. A compromise is to continue to measure out my nuts/seeds, but not log them. I mean really, I eat almost the same foods every.single.day. Why am I logging them? 50 calories, plus or minus, is not going to make or break the scale.
`Chani8

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:01 am

No S Day:
Today I had two cups of coffee with cream and 15 grams of walnuts for my breakfast. The problem is that I sort of dragged it up until brunch at 10am.
Then 3 eggs and kimchi for brunch. I took a pre-planned bite of cottage cheese afterwards to cool my mouth. It would've fit in the bowl. ;)
Lunch is leftovers of curry chicken and carrots.
Dinner - I have no idea. Maybe a yogurt with fresh fruit and ground flax seed.

My goal is to get in 14 minutes of shovelgloving, too.
`Chani8

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:03 pm

Hi Chani,
Do you eat the same meals as your kids and husband? Or do you make separate stuff for yourself? I would love yogurt for dinner, but my husband and kids, not so much. :)

It sure has been quiet on the boards this weekend.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:10 pm

It's probably quiet because it's an S day (for most people) and everyone is busy, happily eating.

Your question was not that hard, but I'm having difficulty answering it. It's just not so simple with this many kids of this many varying ages. In general, I make food for myself and DH, and for those who will eat it.

We typically sit down to formal meals only on Friday night and Saturday lunch.

If I'm eating yogurt for dinner, it means everyone else is eating something else. It doesn't mean that I made the food though - my kids cook for themselves. ;)

Tonight, it looks like we'll all be eating hamburgers together - some of us with bread, and the low-carbers with cabbage or salad instead of bread.
`Chani8

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi chani

Sounds like things are going pretty well for you. Good for you for getting so much walking done. I know it's hard to let go of the safety of calorie counting but it can be so freeing. May be worth it to try for a week or so.

Is it a six day work week in Israel? Also was just curious how many kids you have?

Sorry if I'm being too nosey. Enjoy your week!

Linda

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Yes, it's a 6 day work week here.

Ask what you want! I've got 5 biological kids, 20, 18, twins 17, and 14. A 6 yr old that we're adopting (by us since birth). And right now, only one (emergency care) foster baby, but usually we have three, sometimes four.

Feels like I'm on a bit of a vacation with only one baby in the home. :)

In the end, I did log my food for today. But I did not weigh or measure anything except the walnuts, because I do tend to binge on those if not limited.
`Chani8

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:52 pm

Wow I'm so impressed and that your able to manage all those kiddos! I used to be an advocate for foster kids and know what a blessing foster parents are so I commend you & your DH for taking that on.

Six days a week? Is Friday a half day for Shabbat?

Linda

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Thanks, Linda! "Manage" really is a good description of what I do, as my big kids are not only self-sufficient, they're also very helpful. I am a thinker type personality and I would probably sink if not for all the help I get from my kids and husband.

Friday is a half work day for most people, but not everyone. Depends on where they work (if they keep shabbat). We live in a more traditional area where most stores are only open until 3pm. My son works in a factory and gets fridays completely off. Elementary schools end at noon.
`Chani8

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:06 am

I bought the No S Diet book for my kindle and took it with me on my little vacation. The seminars were all in Hebrew, so I thought the book would come in handy since my hebrew is lousy. My husband's hebrew is even worse and he usually sleeps through classes, but at one point I saw that he was just sitting there bored, so I passed him my kindle, opened to the No S Diet. I regretted it, because he literally LOL'ed at something Reinhard wrote! :oops: ... the line about not worrying about antioxidants when you're 50 lbs overweight.

I just finished the chapter about no sugar, low carbing, and starches. My husband's answer when people ask him how he lost so much weight, is to say that he simply quit drinking RC cola. It's really no joke. He was pumping himself full of sugar and calories with all that soda.

The stuff that Reinhard wrote about starches is interesting. He hints at the question I've asked myself, is low carbing, namely ketosis, really that safe? I dabbled in and out of ketosis for the last year and then finally made up my mind not to go so low carb as it really affected my moods. But, I do identify and choose to be a low-carber in general because it's a definition or boundary for myself that reminds me that carbs mess with my blood sugar. I grew up eating low fat, high carb, and I couldn't go two hours without feeling faint or being very hungry. On low carb, high fat, I not only eat the healthiest I've ever eaten, but I can go for 4 or 5 hours without food, which is just awesome to me.

I also want to point out that Reinhard mentions that people on maintenance find his diet to be helpful. That's me. I dieted and was successful losing 30 pounds, but what I didn't have is normalcy. I've never had normal eating times and was a grazer, and until the No S diet, food was taking up so much of my time. Now I have my four meals a day, and it's just so simple.

This post is getting really long, but one more thing: I recall years ago, one of my kids asking why we don't sit down together for dinner every day like some families. I would eat in the kitchen (in peace and quiet), then serve the kids at dinner time, and my DH preferred to eat in his home office while working. Also, I didn't grow up with meal time being family time, as my parents divorced when I was pre-teen and then my mom was busy working 3 jobs. So, I wasn't used to it, and I didn't think to ever make it a goal for my family. On the other hand, we did make 3 formal family meals for Shabbat, and I often found those annoying because the kids wouldn't behave (they still don't!).

Enter the No S Diet. Keep in mind I've only been doing No S for maybe a month now. In that short time, I've already started planning real meals rather than eating a my snack foods all together and calling that a 'meal'. Further, since I only get three meals a day, I started wanting those meals to be more formal, or rather, at least not sitting in front of the computer, and instead, at the table. And I wanted to savor and chew the food, rather than just inhale it all in three minutes or less, so in order to drag them out, I wanted to engage in conversation or even do a little learning with DH.

Apparently, something has changed in my home. What seems to be happening now, is that instead of just planning out a menu for DH and myself, I'm finding that I almost need to plan out weekday meals that include everyone (who's going to be home), because suddenly and without forcing anyone, I see that my teens are joining us at our meal time, as if it was the most natural thing to do. They are engaging us in conversation, and they are interested in whatever it is we are studying together. Just, Wow! Meal time is now becoming a positive social event, something like "quality family time." Who would've thought.
`Chani8

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:34 pm

All that said, what in the world am I going to make for meals now?!! 2 meals a day that I'm not used to having to be so organized about.

Just FTR, I eat a small breakfast before 8am, then brunch at 10am, then 2pm lunch and 6pm dinner. That small breakfast can equal a lot of calories, however, so I sort of wish I could skip it. But it sure seems like a long time to wait from waking up at 6am to not eating until 10am (or even 930 - which is the soonest I can make a decent breakfast).

For breakfast, I have coffee with cream, and nuts, seeds, or ground flaxseed. That satisfies me until my daily brunch of eggs. What do other people do?
`Chani8

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:48 pm

I'd like to try to focus on my response to those things that upset me in my life. I can't change anyone else, only myself. Sometimes changing my response is all that is needed to change the dynamics of the situation, but even if my response needs to be to just stay out of it, my goal is to do what it takes to let go of the frustration in me. I so much want to find my sense of humor and lightheartedness!
`Chani8

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:53 pm

I really admire that approach chanti & remember you saying that in another thread. That was what spurred me to pick up this book again. I have a lot of work to do in handling my responses but feel ready to tackle it again. Thanks for the inspiration Chani!!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:32 am

Chani, thanks for all the great thoughts and sharing and insights! I have had a similar experience with regard to mealtimes since beginning NoS.

I like low-carb in theory quite a bit, but I have to admit that being free to just eat a traditional meal with bread is very freeing, enjoyable and yummy. But certainly there are a lot of people that need to go quite low-carb to regulate blood sugar.

I was also like you in needing to eat every 2 hours or I got sick and nauseated. When I tried low-carb a few years ago, I could go 4 or 5 hours without getting sick. But interestingly, I can go many hours now, and I don't low-carb anymore. I almost wonder if it's just re-training my body to not expect food every 2 hours just as much as the composition of the meals? Not sure, just a thought.

You can see what I eat on my thread, but I'll give a synopsis: yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast; soup, sandwich or fruit, nuts and cheese for lunch; whatever for dinner (spaghetti, lasagne, fish and chips, burgers, mexican food, salmon burgers, pizza, etc....). Not exactly health foods around my house. My kids do snack much less now that I NoS. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 am

Good morning and thank you for your comments and support!

Today I tried a new thing of not having my breakfast of nuts, and instead just had a cup of coffee heavy on the cream. I was able to wait until brunch without any problem, maybe because I was just too busy to miss breakfast. Tomorrow I take a blood test so I can't eat breakfast, and I guess it'll actually show how my blood sugar is in the morning.

There is something I want to say about this diet, but don't know if I should or dare to. But let me try. I think that had I come to this diet not knowing how calories work, I would not be successful if losing weight was the goal. I'd be eating way too much calories for a person of my height by eating even just 3 regular meals a day. At my height and laziness, I can only eat about 1200 cals a day to maintain my weight. Which is why I'm trying to ditch the nuts, because if I just ate those freely as part of a meal, rather than measuring them out, I could easily go over by 300 or more calories a day. Nuts are small and fit easily on a plate, you know. And they're healthy and not sweet.

Men can eat a whole lot more calories than women, so I can see how Reinhard would have been able to lose weight this way. It's pretty clear to me this would also work for my husband as a weight loss plan. But for me, three meals can be a lot of food and potentially a lot of calories.

Since I've been learning about calorie content of food over this past year, I basically can guestimate the calories on my plate. Without that knowledge, I don't think I'd be successful at maintaining my weight, let alone being able to actually lose if I needed to, on this diet. In fact, because I overeat on Yes S days, I know that I have to eat lighter during the week, otherwise, it's a fact, I will gain from those Yes S days.

That said, since I'm working on maintaining my weight, this diet is great for me. It's stabilizing and healthy and very satisfying. But I do think I will have to monitor my calories in some way, if only by making low calorie food choices during the week.

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:28 pm

Can't believe that I got in my 14 minutes of exercise already - before lunch! It's gotten easier. I went from working out for about 2 minutes, several times a day, this past year, to in just one month, being able to push myself for 14 minutes of some serious shovelgloving and other exercises.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:27 pm

1200 calories to MAINTAIN?! Chani, I have never heard such a thing, even from a my friend that is only 4'9''. Since you've been tracking for a year, I trust what you're saying (you know your body), but if that is true, it turns my idea of basal metabolic rate on its head. And you exercise!! So you're saying without exercise you could only eat 900 calories?

I HAVE to wonder (since this flies in the face of the typical basal metabolic rate studies I have read) that something funny is going on with your body: 1) hypothyroidism??; 2) your body has dieted so much that it is wanting to hang on to fat (in which case, eating normally at 1600-2000 calories for a year or so might normalize your metabolism.

Anyway, lots of thoughts, but I guess my main response is: I'm so sorry that you can only eat 1200 calories a day to MAINTAIN. That is just criminally sad. I probably eat at least 1600 on an N day. I do not let myself feel super hungry, so it could be as high as 2000. I might actually count my calories today just out of curiosity.

KCCC has a sticky post, "The phases of NoS" that discusses your quite valid point that vanilla NoS is easier for guys to be able to lose. I've worried about it since first starting NoS back in August. However, I have lost a little weight at a slow rate (and I had been gaining before). I think especially if someone is quite overweight NoS will do wonders. Once someone is close to a healthy weight the weight loss naturally tapers off (which is where I think I'm at).

It certainly does seem that a lot of the women that maintain at "thin" weights count calories, limit sweets, etc. I can't deny, but as you've seen me agonize on my thread, I am just not willing to go there. I have never been much of a dieter, and I don't want to start now.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:27 pm

No S Diet:
Coffee with coconut milk - 3 cup limit for the day.
Brunch - 3 eggs, homemade kimchi, and sauteed organic cabbage.
Lunch - 7oz of Chicken breast in coconut curry with 250g of zucchini.
Dinner - 250g of Zucchini with 1 T tahina, 150g of goat yogurt with 3 T ground flax and 1 T sugar free raspberry preserves.
No Sitting
Shovelgloving, including exercises for glutes and 50 granny pushups.
Standing at computer. ;)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:29 pm

Hey, I like your new "NoSitting" category!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:39 pm

Oh, Auto, you shocked me! You are so right, that number is low and I didn't explain myself well at all. I am so sorry that I wrote 1200! I set my calories to eat 1250 a day on my No S days. Because, on Yes S days, which I've been tracking for about a year, I eat as much as 2000 calories on each of those days. And when I upped my calories to maintenance, which is around 1400 calories a day, then I gained weight because of my overeating on Yes S days. So, I cannot have my cake and eat it too, it seems, possibly because of my age, but most likely because I am truly sedentary except for the little exercise that I do (14 minutes a day).

My oldest daughter, who is 20, and a tiny bit shorter than me, can only eat around 1400 a day also or she gains. But then again, she joins me on those Yes S days of super overeating.

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:43 pm

automatedeating wrote:Hey, I like your new "NoSitting" category!!
I learned to apply No S to other areas of my life, from an expert! ;) Thank you! I'm still thinking of how else to apply it.
`Chani8

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:47 pm

One more thing, Auto, you mentioned how strong you are, and that is really my goal, to be strong, so I am a bit obsessed with weight lifting (which doesn't burn a lot of calories), and try to keep my body fat on the low side (to show off my muscles).

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:51 pm

Chani, you're doing a great job!

I'm sorry for the tone of my earlier post. I've been a little snarky lately, I think because I'm frustrated that pounds don't just roll away with the snap of my fingers. :)

You're an inspiration to me, and a great addition to our little forum here. Thanks for all your encouragement and the new ideas you've brought!

Have a great day....I'm going to do my plank before I walk to work this morning so I don't forget to do it!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:22 pm

I think you're awesome, Auto, and I'm glad you took the time to comment on my thread!

Today, in addition to my 14 minutes of kick butt shovelgloving, I got in a hike at sunset with DH in the nearby desert.

This evening I did about 10 minutes of standing abs exercises.

And can you say, 10 real pushups?! And 2 planks.

Now, I'm so tired that I can't get out of my chair even to drag myself off to bed. lol
`Chani8

chani8

Post by chani8 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:41 am

Took a blood test to check up on my anemia. I didn't even notice that I'd not eaten breakfast. That was interesting.

Tonight starts a 24 hour Yes S Day, and I'm heading out right now to go buy an assortment of fruit and dried fruit and nuts. I'm also planning to make a big pot of spicy ground beef to try to help balance all that sugar. My daughter suggested we dip the fruit in chocolate and I thought that was crazy since the fruit alone is so sweet. She wont even be here for this holiday, so unless the other kids ask for the chocolate, I'm not doing it. <I feel like a stooge saying that>

I met up with my friend, a nurse working on diabetes and pregnancy, and we discussed how helpful it is to walk after every meal. I walk after every big meal, and it definitely helps me. Now that I'm doing the No S Diet, all my meals are big meals, so I'm wondering what to do - if I should really try to take a short walk after each meal, or if something else would work in place of that. Supposedly it takes a 15 minute walk to burn off the excess glycogen. Would doing any cardio do the trick? I think so. Only, I do prefer a walk because it seems to also help with my rather slow and incompetent digestion.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Doing jumping jacks or something similar for a few minutes would very efficienctly burn through some glycogen! much more efficiently than a walk, actually. I think walks are great (as you know), but if you're looking to control blood sugar, more intensity would burn sugar a lot faster than a walk.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:05 pm

I just tried to walk off a Yes S dinner and I must say, I ate way too much. :( Sad face only because my tummy hurts. It was such.good.food. :) My husband made chicken wings and guacamole. The table was set beautifully with lots of dried fruits. I ate several dates stuffed with almonds, plus dried mango, pineapple, and cranberries. (Btw, I ate a No S diet until the Yes S dinner, and I still clocked in at 2000 cals today.)

I'm not sure I want to indulge tomorrow at all. I guess I should consider it a Yes S day so I can have a little more dried fruit, but I don't need to eat so much. Yes S doesn't mean be a pig!! If only I would remember how my tummy feels when it's stuffed so that I stop this crazy overeating!

I'm better off snacking on a Yes S day and I really should stop taking seconds. . . probably for the rest of my life. Give up on seconds!!!!

Thanks Auto, I do have a solution - I throw on a 5kilo backpack and walk up the 23 steps in my house for 14 minutes - I think it does the trick. 14 minutes of shovelgloving sure does, but it's almost too hard sometimes. It's definitely hard to convince myself to get started shoveling.
`Chani8

chani8

Post by chani8 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Count me in for 14 minutes of shovelgloving. Good night!!
`Chani8

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:29 am

wow, shovelglove before bedtime. You're a tough cookie!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:09 am

Sounds like a wonderful feast--sorry you over did it but it helps you appreciate those sane N days even more.

I still haven't tried shove gloving yet--I'm kind of scared!!

Linda

chani8

Post by chani8 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:41 am

Thanks, both of you!! I use a barbell as a shovel as well as a dumbbell, depending on the exercise. I actually went to buy a sledgehammer but it felt so awkward and put too much pressure on my wrists - I imagine it's easier for men because they tend to have stronger forearms. Gosh, was that a sexist thing to say? Anyway, I prefer to control the weight (or lack of) by using the bar/dumbbells. Plus it cost the same, and my son wanted a barbell.

Yes S Day menu:
Coffee with coconut cream
B - Eggs and Kimchi and a little cottage cheese.
L - edited - peanuts galore. :(
D - Mexican beef salad with guacamole. Dried fruit.

NoSittingOnButt! (thank you Auto, for these ideas!)
Bake challah!
14 minutes of shovelgloving
A walk, a hike, or my stairs
Just Do It!!

NoRegrets (as my FIL likes to say)
Write the article - Turn in 2nd draft today.
Don't overeat on Yes S days.
Medical stuff - DD's letter. My test results.
Don't take teens personally.
Smile more!
Last edited by chani8 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jw

Post by jw » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:43 am

Chani, your energy and enthusiasm is awesome! Go, girl!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:09 pm

"don't take teens personally" that is hilarious. Oolala, are you reading this? :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:45 pm

I ate too much on my Yes S day, today. We got a gift package of dried fruit, most of it was sugary stuff that I won't eat, but there was a bag of peanuts in there. I love peanuts. It's a trigger food for me, and I knew it. I ate half the bag. (Do you know how many calories are in 100g of peanuts?!)

I guess I know why I don't buy peanuts. So many times I've told myself, "just buy them and learn self control." Not.gonna.happen.

My calories were really high today even though I skipped lunch because of the peanut binge. It's kind of scary to me to see how many calories I can stuff into myself on a Yes S day. I sort of wish I could just forget Yes S'ing and just be a permanent No S'er.

I don't eat sweets much anyway. I shouldn't be taking seconds because of my tummy trouble. So, it's really snacking that puts me over on calories. That, and just eating high calorie foods on my Yes S days.

Oh, gosh, why am I stressing on this. Usually I get my two Yes S days a week, and while I need some help with self-control on those days, it's only two days a week. I need to chill. This is all because I was blessed with some extra Yes S days this month. How's that for lack of gratitude. Just be ok with it!! If I gain, I know what to do. I'll just need to tighten up on my weekday eating so that I lose it.

There is no holiday coming up anytime soon, not again until March 16, which is exactly two months away. I had a great vacation last week, and a really fun holiday, today. The weekend will be a Yes S day and I'm going to enjoy it. However, I'm not planning on making any desserts since we have dried fruit to eat up. So, I'm going to enjoy my family time and not stress about this.

I should instead be stressing about the fact that I didn't write that article yet. Better get at it!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:04 am

Chani, you are funny. I could tell you all kinds of encouraging things, but actually you already said them...
such as "I shouldn't be stressing over this."

Oh, and BTW, you've probably already heard this, but in the beginning, don't spend any time worrying over S Days. Focus on N Days and leave S Days as a much needed release valve from the stress of building N Day habits.

Some long-time NoSers have had to wait a year or more for their S Days to truly settle down. And that's OK! They are usually still losing weight during that time, so since you're just looking to maintain, I wouldn't worry too much about that!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:28 am

Thanks, Auto! The thing is, I've been doing a version of the No S Diet for this past year, in that I ate strictly during the week and called the weekend 'cheat days' - how I like calling them Yes S days so much better! :) Anyway, I've been struggling with overeating on those days, this whole year and it just bugs me, because, well, I like to be in control of myself, and I like to improve on my faults, and maybe I'm hard on myself, too. ;)

I saw your last post on your thread, and here is my response about bingeing: The word binge to me means, eating more than I wanted to. What happens to me, I think, is that the pleasure of eating yummy foods triggers something in my brain that just screams, 'give me more pleasure.' I can try thinking, this is not what I want to do, this is going to hurt my tummy, and any other rational thoughts, but I can't seem to come up with the trump card that actually wins over my desire for more of that pleasure. There was a study done that showed sugar triggers the pleasure center and addictive part of the brain, and when I read it, I thought, yeah, that's me. In general, I have tremendous self-control, but for some reason, I let my guard down when it comes to food. I read, from a link by herbsgirl, the idea to eat very slowly so that the pleasure of the food is more satisfying, and also by eating slowly, one is likely to just eat less. I'm planning to actually try that - although the most wait between bites I can hope for is about 10 seconds, lol.
`Chani8

chani8

Post by chani8 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:21 am

In an effort to procrastinate and avoid writing more of that article, I'd like to ponder what is the hardest part of Yes S days. (Thanks Linda for bringing it up!)

I think the fact that I have all my family home, makes me feel like this is a party. I must have it in my head that party means food. In fact, I do think this is close to 'it' because I also like to drink wine on my Yes S days, and I've only recently put a boundary against that, only because it gets in the way of processing carbs which leaves me feeling sick if I drink too much.

So in party mode, I want fun, and food is fun, eating is fun. But I'm not having fun stuffing all that food in my mouth, really. If I were to look at myself on video while noshing, I'd see, I'm not really having fun. So the solution might be, for Yes S days, to find other more fun things to do besides eating. Problem is, my kids also attach food and fun and even when we're doing something fun, they want to break out the snacks. If we play a game or build a puzzle, they break out the sunflower seeds or some other treat.

The question I want to ask myself this weekend is, what can I do for fun besides eat. I'd really like to find something more physical to do, besides the hike/walk that we take. I lean towards playing ball, but can't seem to find anyone to play with me.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:17 am

Good thoughts, Chani.

I totally get the "party mode" thing. I deal with that, too. My best memories from childhood were when my mom would rent a VCR and some movies and get a take-and-bake pizza, soda, and candy for the weekend. Old habits (and pleasures) die hard.

And I have to be super careful about my alcohol. I am forced to follow the glass ceiling (Reinhard's 2 drink maximum) because any more than that and am up all night sick. And not even buzzed! I've often suspected it has something to do with blood sugar, like you mentioned about it interfering with your liver's carb processing.

Let us know if you come up with a good weekend physical activity besides hiking. Maybe you guys could set up a croquet game. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks,Auto! I had to google croquet. lol! I'm putting this on my kids to come up with something. We will see. I'm signing off now, until Sat night.

Btw, I ate breakfast in one minute increments and it took nearly 15 minutes. What an experience. And my DH didn't even laugh at me, sitting there with my timer. lolol

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:45 pm

Eating in aprox one minute increments had a profound effect on my Yes S day today. I actually didn't finish all the food on my plate at lunch. Usually I have thirds. I was totally satisfied and had no tummy ache today. I did snack throughout the day, so I'm sure I ate tons of calories, and I'm ok with that because I felt in total control about it. All because I forced myself to wait between bites. Such a silly thing to do. And yet, so helpful.
`Chani8

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:04 pm

Had a great No S day! And the first thing I noticed this morning, when I popped a walnut into my mouth, was that my jaw was so sore.. apparently I've never chewed so much food before. lol What was I doing before? Swallowing everything nearly whole, I guess. It's hysterically funny to me. I sit at the table timing my bites, and for the first time ever, I finish after my DH. I didn't finish my lunch today and put some of it back. That's a 'wow' moment.

Anyway, my No S Menu was very simple:
Walnuts for breakfast. No coffee.
Brunch - 2.5 scrambled eggs and 125g kimchi.
Lunch - 200g chicken with salad and roasted carrots.
Dinner - 26g Gouda cheese, a cup of yogurt, then chicken and beets.

I got my blood test back. I'm really at a loss on how to deal with it. I know low carbing can do this, but I was hoping it wouldn't happen to me. My cholesterol went up. Well, the LDL went up and the Tri went down. The HDL went up and the non-HDL went down. It's confusing and annoying and I don't know if I should get real strict on my saturated fat and/or cholesterol intake, or ask the doctor for another test which could discern whether the LDL is small or large particles (dangerous or not). Also, I don't know if maybe this is just a reflection of how my gallbladder and liver are doing, as I've been taking lots of herbs to stimulate them and cleanse them, so maybe they're shoving excess cholesterol into my system (temporarily) while they clean out.

The good news is that my pre-diabetes and anemia are resolved. Hurray!!

The other fun thing to share is that my DH and I took a 2 hour hike today. It was awesome. He can't help but remind me that I used to be too weak for hikes.

eta - got in 100 granny pushups, today, too.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Browsed your thread. Glad to see that eating more slowly is helping. It's not official in No S, but I think Reinhard implies that it may be part of getting smarter about our meals, just as what we put on our plate can change over time. I was already a slower eater before, unless I was bingeing! I don't enjoy by food at all if I don't chew it really well now. I love food too much to let any of the flavor get away!

I'm not surprised by your needing lower calories to maintain, though. Many calorie recommendations are too high. And if you've ever been overweight for any length of time, you'll need fewer to maintain than if you had never been overweight, or so I've read.

After four years, I actually have S days on which I eat only 1200 calories (I don't INTEND to limit myself to that amount, and I track once in awhile out of curiosity because I'm so un-hungry). And I now can surrender to that lack of hunger. I didn't for a LONG time. A couple of years! Now it's just what it takes for me to feel comfortable all day. If I eat more than that, I get that logy feeling. I've gone whole S days on one meal because I just didn't get hungry again. I don't prefer those days, though!

Let your tummy problems guide your eating more on S days. If you know that eating more is going to make you too uncomfortable later, consider biting the bullet and not more food at that time. Especially if you know you're going to have another meal later. That's not a mod. That's just responding to reality. And letting the process take you to "sometimes." If you really need a mod later, you can institute it.

Eventually, No S is about preferring the feelings of N days on S days with just a touch of extras thrown in for true celebration. As time goes on, being too full is just not celebratory! But it can take time before it doesn't feel like something's missing. It's an illusion!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:58 am

Thanks oolala! I think this past Yes S was a glimpse of what a Yes S day should be. Enjoyable, satisfying, relaxed, and binge free.

I'm obsessing about my cholesterol. My mother had to tell me that her number was as high as mine when she had her first heart attack. I tried to explain that other than LDL, my numbers are great and that this is a common side effect to low carbing. But I'm feeling half-hearted about that.

All I can think is that I must cut all sat fats and cholesterol from my diet, which pretty much eliminates all joy in my life. I love my eggs.

My real dilemma is that cutting out food that has sat fat and cholesterol is controversial, which means I have zero clarity on what to do.
`Chani8

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:03 pm

Chani, this sounds tough. I think I have probably read many of the same books that you have about this controversy.
I will say just five things:
1. people on both sides of the aisle in this debate agree that high trigylcerides are a one of the best predictors of heart disease. And your has dropped.
2. People on both sides of the aisle agree that high HDL is good! Which means that some people will have their total cholesterol go up and actually get healthier in terms of heart attack risk. And your HDL has gone up.
3. People on both sides of the aisle agree that particular ratios are the most important in predicting heart attack risk: have you looked at those ratios rather than the raw numbers? One important ratio is: Triglycerides/HDL. A number less than 2 is good. Here's a link to an article about that:
http://www.cbn.com/health/naturalhealth ... ttack.aspx
4. 50% of people that have heart attacks have cholesterol numbers in the normal range. Which means it's a coin toss regarding whether or not high cholesterol is significant.
5. If you're really concerned, the calcium artery scoring (CAC) invasive procedure is one of the best ways to predict heart attack risk. Also, a blood test for CRP (C-reactive protein) is also predictive. In fact, both are considered more predictive than cholesterol results.

I think you probably know all of this. I feel your emotional pain on this one. It's one thing to have the head knowledge, quite another to live out a countercultural health stance.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:21 pm

Auto, consider yourself hugged!! I've spent hours of my time today researching all this, to come back here and see how beautifully well you summarized it all for me. I cannot thank you enough for this. :)

To everyone doing the vanilla No S, I do want to apologize for spending too much time here discussing calories, when that's not what this diet or forum is about. You all are doing great and I'm so glad to be part of this group. I've already learned so much and improved my quality of life so much by being here. :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 am

Don't worry about it Chani! I know calorie counting is a bit of a trigger for me but that's my issue. We love having you here and hearing about your full & interesting life.

Linda :)

chani8

Post by chani8 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:00 pm

So, I've gotten some real clarity on the cholesterol issue. It's gotta be totally related to my having a gallstone - a gallstone made of cholesterol. The sucker is stuck in my body and my gallbladder isn't pushing out enough bile, and my whole system is inflamed because of it. So instead of freaking out about my great blood test results, everything points back to this darn gallstone. Now my goal is to do everything I can to try to get that gallbladder working better and maybe even dissolve the gallstone (that seems like a big dream). I wish my doctor would work with me and give me some medication to try to dissolve it, instead of my having to work so hard doing the natural thing. Herbs are expensive and I end up feeling like I take more herbs and drink more herbal tea than I eat food - and even the food I choose is gallbladder focused. (Beets, kimchi.)

Right now I'm drinking some really spicy ginger and turmeric tea. Later I'll have some chamomile and mint tea. Then I need to drink some apple cider vinegar. And before bed, I'll take fresh lemon squeezed in special high iron mineral water.

I sunbathed this morning and then went out for two hours on a hike.
`Chani8

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:05 pm

How is eating slower going for you?
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

chani8

Post by chani8 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks for stopping by Herbsgirl! I am really appreciating this eating slow thing. Not only do I enjoy my food more, my tummy seems to digest it better. A very big win! Thank you!! :)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:46 pm

Hey, how are you feeling? A gallstone sounds super uncomfortable, hope you find a good way to resolve that soon.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks Auto, you are so supportive!

This gallstone is a real jerk but the No S diet helps even with that, because what flares things up is overeating.

So today was a Yes S day and I did really well until this afternoon. Then I got kind of frenzied with stuffing the last of the Yes S foods into me before the sun went down. Well, I only ate one piece of chocolate and 1 1/2 dates too many, so it wasn't that terrible, it's just that I was already quite full.

I did get in a nice hike this afternoon with DH, and then 14 minutes of stair climbing (going up 606 stairs, and down 606!) this evening, with a 5 kilo backpack on.

Tomorrow I may be getting a new foster baby and I'm nervous about it. Newborn baby boy right from the hospital. I brace myself for the worst case scenario and pray that it goes as easy as possible.

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 pm

So, because I don't trust (this diet) blindly, I'm tracking my calories while trying to be as vanilla no S as possible. My weigh-in on Fri showed a weight loss. :)

I seem to 'naturally' eat less than my daily calorie limit during the No S days. After a lot of exercise, I noted that my plate was piled higher than at other times. This is a good thing.

Now, my binging problem on Yes S days may compromise my goals, but I just had several Yes S days these past few weeks and yet I still lost.

So I'm gaining some trust of this diet. I'll still be logging my cals for a while though, because I want to track my macros (cholesterol, fat). I'm going to do a case study on myself to see if lowering dietary cholesterol, lowering sat fats, and increasing mono fats and fiber, will lower my LDL and total cholesterol reading.

I'll be cutting out egg yolks and limiting portion size of meat and dairy products. The dilemma was coconut milk which is high in saturated fat, but for now I'm leaving it in my diet as part of my experiment. If I get good results even though I use coconut milk, I'll be thrilled. I'm totally cutting peanuts out of my diet, even though they're controversial, because they're such a trigger food for me. I'm adding quinoa to my diet. Increasing olive oil and olives. And considering making high fiber sourdough bread.

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:09 am

No S Diet menu
Tea, 20g walnuts before 8am.
Brunch - Tea with 15ml coconut milk, 3 egg whites on kimchi, 15g of sunflower seeds.
Lunch - Beets, 20g almonds, 100g chicken in broth with quinoa.
Dinner - Beets, 20g tehina, 4 cumquats, bowl of 150g goat yogurt mixed with 1 T ground flax, blueberries, 7g almonds (soak more almonds for tomorrow!), 2 tsp olive oil - quite a concoction!

I'm only measuring foods that are high in fats/cholesterol.

No Sitting Around
Goals for today:
14 minutes of exercise
100 pushups
100 glutes

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Seems that if I just cut out those egg yolks, my diet can otherwise be the same as before, still Low carb, high fat. By increasing carbs to around 85g a day, it adds lots of fiber. I enjoyed quinoa today and I think I'll add oats to the menu. I started a sourdough starter, so hopefully it will be ready the next time that I make challah.

Looks like the baby boy has to stay another night in the hospital to observe his oxygen levels. I just want him to be healthy before he comes home to me. I'll have to arrange a bris milah for him, which is stressful. I wonder what/if his mother will name him.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:04 pm

Sounds like youre being really thoughtful about everything.

I hope the little boy is okay & ready to come home soon. I sometimes miss that stage when it was less complicated to parent. Then I remember how exhausting it was & not sure if I could handle it again. Hats off to you though!

I'm really impressed you make your own challah! I love to cook but am not much of a baker!

Linda

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:07 pm

Chani, you must be one of the most energetic women on the planet! Carefully organized food intake, lots of exercise, all those kids, and possibly special needs kids too! You constantly amaze me!

Hope the little guy is healthy when he comes home with you. And I love experiments! How many weeks are you going to try this one before you retest your blood?

I know you've heard this before, but really, don't worry about S Days right now. Maybe in a few months. :wink: Put your energy into compliance on N Days and let your hair down on S Days. Calmly observe how you handle total freedom. Then down the road you can make adjustments specially catered to you.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Chani- I started a sourdough recently too, but ended up pitching it. We have two bread makers and it was soo time consuming for me to feed the sourdough, let it raise 8 hours, then let it raise 4 hours ect!!

Did you get your baby boy yet? :D
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:43 pm

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and commenting. I really appreciate the support and connection!

There is a hold up on the baby leaving the hospital, so I have no idea when he will be coming to me. It's fine as in the meantime, I'll just appreciate my sleep. ;)

I'm hoping to try making a batch of sourdough challah this week, a small batch with a back-up of store bought challah just in case it fails. LOL

Just want to update that my No S days are going very well. It feels like a permanent change to my life, because I just feel great with it.

I finished reading the No S Diet book. I really enjoyed it. I appreciated that Reinhard stated that his diet does not have to stand alone, and that some people will want to combine it with other diets. For me, this diet and the eating slowly thing have been the icing on my diet cake by resolving my weekday all day eating.

I've had a version of Yes S days the whole time I've been dieting, and I've always overeaten on those days. So far the slow eating is really helping, but I do look forward to more success on those days. The mentality that I deserve this, I can eat what I want now, is a negative mindset to me, a rebellious attitude, rooted in negativity as Reinhard suggests, so I'm trying to shift my attitude to a positive with, this is a special day, let me enjoy it, appreciate it, savor it. I'm not really concerned about how much I eat on those days right now, just adjusting my attitude.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:09 pm

I know what you mean chani. I do a lot of eating "because I can" on S days. I have noticed that letting up a bit though. Yesterday I was at Costco and thought about getting some frozen yogurt but then I realized it was close to dinner and I didn't want to spoil it.

It seems the novelty if S days is starting to wear off so give it time!

Linda

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:33 pm

I'm sitting here drinking a concoction that someone called chocolate tea. It's just unsweetened cocoa, cinnamon, and a splash of peppermint extract.

It isn't sweet but it's delicious and if feels a bit like a cheat. I'm going to drink it anyway, lol, but what do you think? Maybe I should've added vanilla extract so I could call it a vanilla no S drink. lol

I usually drink an afternoon coffee and this was in place of it.

jw

Post by jw » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:54 pm

That sounds really tempting, chani! Going right off to try it --

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:13 pm

Definitely not a cheat. Many of us drink hot cocoa, mochas, lattes etc.

Sounds good--enjoy!

jw

Post by jw » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:29 pm

I didn't have any peppermint, so used vanilla, chani -- it can become the official No S Vanilla chocolate tea! I was so taken with the possibilities, I didn't respond to your question -- but luckily, Linda did! Of course, it's OK-- thanks for a really lovely new legal treat!

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:31 pm

Thank you Linda and jw!

Today got really hectic and was going to end up being a No S fail because of not having a real dinner, but at the last minute I just put the brakes on and sat down to my salad and yogurt and let the world go by while I ate, not quite as relaxed or as slowly as I prefer, but still, better than gulping down a container of cottage cheese in the car..

TOM is getting in my way of exercising today, as I feel a bit weak. I hate that I miss a few days every month because of this. It came early and that frustrates me, too, as I'm working so hard to balance my hormones with all these herbs and exercise. Anyway, my muscles are kind of aching to get a workout. But, it's bed time. Tomorrow is a new day.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:35 am

Hope tomorrow is a more invigorating day for you, Chani!

Wow, that's impressive that you managed to pull out a green day when things were so hectic.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:15 pm

No S Diet:

Barley drink instead of coffee with 20g Hazelnuts
Brunch: 2 HB egg whites, kimchi, dried black olives.
Lunch: Tuna, cabbage, tehina, and yogurt, almonds, blueberries. 10 raisins. Coffee and an Advil to get rid of caffeine withdrawal headache from missing my morning coffee. ;)
Dinner: Ground beef, barley, carrots. 1 dried fig.

No Sitting:

Stood nearly all day.
Sorted baby boy clothes by age and weather.
Made kimchi.
Planning on doing first step of sourdough bread recipe before going to bed.
Hoping to get in 14 minutes of exercise, but really not sure if I'll do it.

ETA - 14 minutes WIN!!
Including 100 chest (granny pushups and presses with 7k db)
100 glute (swings, squats, bridges)
100 core (shovelglove.com stuff)
and isolation curls 7k db.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:45 am

Yay--great job in fitting that exercise in somehow!

Ooooh boy do I miss baby clothes!!!:)

chani8

Post by chani8 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Baby boy is here!!! 10 days old and looks like he's already a month! So cute and so sweet!

My No S'ing is going great, but even better, tomorrow is a Yes S day and I can't wait!

My treats planned for Yes S days are almond stuffed dates, DH's fabulous olive-oil popped popcorn, SB & J (sesame butter instead of PB) on my first ever homemade sourdough bread!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:14 pm

Enjoy your S days!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:07 am

Awwww! So exciting!! :)

chani8

Post by chani8 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 am

Sleep: 4 hours, fed baby, then another hour. I must go to bed earlier! I was nervous to go to sleep last night but now I see I can trust myself to hear and wake up when the baby cries. Haven't had a newborn in the home in over a year.

Yes S day menu plans:

Barley coffee and hazelnuts
Brunch: Shakshooka (eggs in tomato sauce) with zucchini
Snacks: DD's date bars, DH's popcorn

We're making a brit milah today for the baby. Serving cookies and pastries and date bars.

Tonight's Family Meal:
Wine, Challah, hummus
Chicken curry with zucchini, barley
Almonds and dates

Tomorrow's menu:
Family Lunch:
Wine, Challah, hummus
Beef soup with carrots and barley
Almonds and dates
Snacks: coffee, popcorn, date bar

Family Dinner:
Sesame butter and Jelly on sourdough
Yogurt, berries, almonds

jw

Post by jw » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:34 am

Lovely menu, chani! Made me realize how long it has been since I made beef barley soup . . . Enjoy your S days and the new little one!

chani8

Post by chani8 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:47 am

Thank you! It's really great when I don't have to do all the cooking - DD 20y is here and she's busy busy in the kitchen. Fun for me!