Podcasts #43 and #44: index cards for medium and long term

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Podcasts #43 and #44: index cards for medium and long term

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Last edited by reinhard on Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:53 am

Thank you and a happy new year to you and your family as well.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:14 pm

And here's 44 (more or less an addendum to 43, so I'll use the same discussion thread):

The Return of the General

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=44

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Finally had a chance to listen to this set of podcasts, and really liked them.

After thinking about it since your last update on daily cards, I decided to keep my own daily card to three columns. I don't fill them all up, of course, but that third column is not so much "routines" as "self-care"... and as a female heavily-socialized into "take care of OTHER people," it's important to remind myself that I need to "put on my oxygen mask first."

I do like the "officer" cards - the monthlies didn't work for me either. And I like how they've gone from top-down to bottom-up in terms of how they get filled. A blend of both sorts of planning is probably wise, but in terms of task management, focusing on what can be done now, soon, or later is useful. So, I've added a second color with "about two week" items, and think I'll like that a lot.

(Not wild about the military analogy, but haven't found a better one myself.)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 pm

Glad it resonated with you, KCCC!

One thing I didn't mention is that I've been reserving part of the back of the daily card for certain status elements (# of alcoholic beverages, weight on 2 scales as part of that ongoing experiment, observation of No-s, and shovelglove routine type). I started this for eventual transfer to the habitcal but it's been a while now and having to mark it on the card may be sufficient for my purposes. I guess in a way it's sort of like that third column... but I think of it more like structured notes than tasks.