Alternate Glass Ceiling

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
fwinter

Alternate Glass Ceiling

Post by fwinter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:00 pm

Up to 3 drinks
At least 1 day off before next drink

Allows for a slightly bigger release, tempered by dry spells.

One problem with normal GC for me was I felt more addicted to alcohol in many ways as I began waiting for my daily medication like one of Pavlov's mutts. Felt quite cranky if I missed out. This emphasises the breaks as much as the indulgences.

It also still falls short of the 'binge' definition (4) - in fact you would drink less over a week (12) than normal GC (14)! I'll drink to that...

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Brilliant!!
Eileen

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:17 pm

What about six drinks followed by three days off? Or 14 drinks on Friday night with zero drinks the rest of the week?. Do you see where I'm going with this?

The idea of the 2 drinks is that you'll get used to the lower non dangerous amount and still get a buzz.

But if you need to drink more, follow the drinking man's diet:

http://www.forbes.com/2004/04/21/cz_af_0421feat.html

or the William Banting diet, 4-6 pops a day:

http://avidis-fr.com/?p=21

Both can be structured around NOS.

Remember glass ceiling and NOS are not one and the same. They are different components. :wink:
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:47 pm

I hear your concern, Jethro, about a routine two being perhaps a little too much for routine, yet not quite enough for the liquid equivalent of an "S" when you really want to kick back.

Glass ceiling is the system I have the most trouble with complying with perfectly, though there's no question it's been an enormous help over the years.

I'm concerned about legitimizing 3 drinks because each additional drink makes it so much easier to have one more that I like to apply the breaks early and hard. Is it realistic to never expect to exceed this limit? For many of us, probably not. But I think it's still helpful. Because it will reduce the frequency of such occurrences, and, if you're quantifying any overages, their severity as well. When I go over the limit, I always write down on the back of my daily index card how many drinks. This embarrassment, even if I'm the only one who ever sees it, is helpful as a kind of "second ceiling," (and third ceiling, and fourth ceiling, etc. -- though hopefully it won't get to that) to keep failures from becoming disasters like in the bad old days.

What I have considered altering is lowering the ceiling on N-days to just a single drink, with a two drink ceiling reserved for S-days. The idea, which I think is sound, is that I'd enjoy the two drinks even more on S days because my tolerance would be reduced even further, and tamp down the routine habit to a safer level during the week. It also fits with the whole N-day/S-day mechanism that governs so many of my other systems. That being said, I haven't been able to pull this off yet, or even made a serious attempt. Vanilla 2 drink glass ceiling works well enough for me, I think, that I don't want to risk messing with it.

Reinhard

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:41 pm

reinhard wrote:I hear your concern, Jethro, about a routine two being perhaps a little too much for routine, yet not quite enough for the liquid equivalent of an "S" when you really want to kick back.

Glass ceiling is the system I have the most trouble with complying with perfectly, though there's no question it's been an enormous help over the years.

I'm concerned about legitimizing 3 drinks because each additional drink makes it so much easier to have one more that I like to apply the breaks early and hard. Is it realistic to never expect to exceed this limit? For many of us, probably not. But I think it's still helpful. Because it will reduce the frequency of such occurrences, and, if you're quantifying any overages, their severity as well. When I go over the limit, I always write down on the back of my daily index card how many drinks. This embarrassment, even if I'm the only one who ever sees it, is helpful as a kind of "second ceiling," (and third ceiling, and fourth ceiling, etc. -- though hopefully it won't get to that) to keep failures from becoming disasters like in the bad old days.

What I have considered altering is lowering the ceiling on N-days to just a single drink, with a two drink ceiling reserved for S-days. The idea, which I think is sound, is that I'd enjoy the two drinks even more on S days because my tolerance would be reduced even further, and tamp down the routine habit to a safer level during the week. It also fits with the whole N-day/S-day mechanism that governs so many of my other systems. That being said, I haven't been able to pull this off yet, or even made a serious attempt. Vanilla 2 drink glass ceiling works well enough for me, I think, that I don't want to risk messing with it.

Reinhard
I have an idea: zero on N days and 2 on S days. That will magnify the buzz at a safe amount. Even better, if you can handle it, two drinks only one day per week on an S day.

At the very least you'll be saving quite a few calories with either of these systems, not only for the drinks but for the appetite stimulated by the alcohol.
"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
- Vince Lombardi

Sometimes you need to take one step back for every two steps forward.

Time heals everything!

90% of a diet is 60% mental