automated eating tracker

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Hi auto

So smart of you to take an S day yesterday.

I also don't think it's terrible that you're not aiming to be some perfect mother. I fully acknowledge too much of my ego is wrapped up in my mothering abilities. This gets in the way of doing a good job at times because I take their actions way too personal at times. I love Anna Quindlins article on "the good enough mother" although I can't find a link to it anymore.

Anyway I don't think of you as a perfectionist, or having low self-esteem and definitely not crazy or even close to it. You remind me of my best friend Lisa when I was growing up. She is a realist, very independent and a no none sense kind of gal. You are always striving to do better in a methodical way but not for your ego. Just to make your life run a little more smoothly and more aligned with your ethics.

In short I think you're great and always look forward to your input so don't let the work thing rattle you too much. I have no doubt that you are nothing less than an excellent teacher.

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

jw

Post by jw » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:58 am

Auto, from your posts here, you are one of the most sane and balanced people I have the pleasure of knowing! I think your self-esteem is just fine, and you don't seem like a perfectionist. I think you do care about doing a good job and teaching is one of those instant feedback situations -- but a bad day in the classroom is like a bad episode of a tv show . . . by the next episode, it's forgotten!

School politics, colleague vendettas, and just a bad general atmosphere from admin are a different matter. If your unease is coming from that, I'd say ignore it as a cost of doing business and just focus on your students. If you're getting negative feedback from students, it's worth stepping back and looking at it, but the other stuff is just a grownup version of junior high silliness.

Hope you can really get away in your mind this weekend!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:27 pm

You seem to always strive to be better for the sake of being better.
I think "awesome" moms are not as awesome as you think behind the scenes. The thing about parenthood is the cake is not out of the oven until they are adults!
You seem pretty above average awesome to me. The fact that you actively try to improve yourself in all areas in life sets an example for them you cannot teach.
I used to admire a friend who had 4 kids she had a set of triplets and her house was always so immaculate! I am a terrible housekeeper I just struggle with organization and hate it. One time we were at a soccer tournament called the watermelon. There were tents with huge bins of watermelon being served. One of her son walks up with a big wedge of watermelon grinning from ear to ear and she started screaming at him because it was dripping on him! He had to kneel in the grass and crouch over to eat the watermelon! How crazy is that! The point is we don't really know what goes on behind the scenes. I think that the fact you think about these things speaks volumes of you as a mother.
I think you are overtired. And likely hard on yourself. Sending bugs and good thoughts your way!
Last edited by snapdragon on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Not bugs! Hugs!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Linda, jw, and Snapdragon: your posts were exactly the encouragement and support I needed. I saw a friend yesterday and yammered her ear off about my tough week. She is a loyal friend, but we are not especially close---so I felt bad about it later, then realized that apart from this forum, I haven't had friends to "decompress" with recently. I do have some close friends, but everyone has a lot going on right now. So, your posts really meant a lot to me and were the kindness that I needed. Thank you.

jw, you were spot on about admin/colleague issues. Wise advice, as usual. :)
Regarding my teaching, my evaluations and student feedback are generally very good, but there are always a few unhappy students, and sometimes I give too much weight to that. I do want to step back and look at some things. I actually came up with a few ideas that I am eager to implement.

Linda, thanks so much for your kind words. I really needed and really appreciated them.

Snapdragon, I'm sure you are right about no one ever really knowing what goes on behind closed doors. I have sure found that to be true with marriages: when will I stop being shocked when an apparently happy couple calls it quits? You'd think I'd have learned by now that we all are capable of putting on the perfect front.... if that's our priority, that is. I'm sure it's obvious I am always trying to buck that trend. :lol:

OK, so my S days this weekend have been the epitome of what I consider "comfort" food: movie popcorn, reese's pieces, homemade chocolate milkshakes. I really indulged in using food as a comfort this weekend, and I enjoyed it, but also felt that I was objectively watching myself from outside my body, and thinking....... oh, so THIS is exactly what I have done for many years when life just gets to be a little much for me. Just another beauty of the NoS diet: it confines my "indulging" to a few days...then it's time to dust myself off, put the treats and snacks away, and get back to habit.

Saturday, Week 28
S Day S Day S Day
NoSEating
B: coffee with milk, 2 pieces of toast with avocado
L: soup, salad and bread
D: chicken teriyaki, rice, veggies, lemonade
Dessert: homemade chocolate milkshake
JustMoveIt
Rest Day
SpendingSDays
Costco sky-high bill; See's Chocolate's; lunch at Olive Garden
KidsCreatingFun
Chores, board games, and electronics--nice mix
ReadingRainbow
Rest Day

Sunday, Week 29
S Day S Day S Day
NoSEating
B: coffee with milk, eggs, bacon, hashbrowns
L: apple slices, 3 See's Chocolates
D: meatballs, chocolate milkshake
JustMoveIt
housecleaning? :P
Spend$SDays
Paid bills, ordered a book for a nephew's BD, ordered math book and a Seahawks hat for 8-yr old
KidsUnplugged
S Day, but went well
RaisingReaders
various fiction: Flat Stanley has become popular with my 4-yr old!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 am

Hi Automated- Just mulling over the question you asked about if you seem like a perfectionist... I wonder if in the area of teaching you might have your identity tied up more in it, because you're a professional, and want to reach a certain standard, and some of that standard is in the feedback you get from others, who may not be being fair to you. Well, anyway, when I look at your approach to being a mom, I think you are AWESOME, and I admire the way you are willing to look at potentially weak areas and try to improve in small steps and you are doing it!!!!
You mention being able to accept being "an average mom" and that in some ways it means you're more gracious with yourself about your mistakes as a parent than as a teacher. So I was wondering if you'd consider a mental shift to accept being "an average teacher". I know that sounds sort of awful, saying it out loud. (I don't think you WOULD be just average, mind you... but just to give yourself that freedom from other's expectations, and to be able to look at areas that YOU want to improve and take those baby steps to be even better.) Don't get me wrong, I imagine you really are an awesome teacher too, but it seems like sometimes giving ones-self freedom to be "average" really frees us up to enjoy being awesome in whatever it area is. That is just my 2 cents.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:45 am

Oh auto! I don't need to read your thread to out you as a perfectionist: the paragraph above it is enough.

You are an amazing mum: what are you talking about average? Have you ever met an average mum? I'd be delighted to introduce you to a few. If you'd talk to these perfect mum's you know I'm sure you'd be shocked to find that EVERYONE struggles and makes it all up as it comes. There is no such thing as a perfect mum, only what appears to the outside eye as a perfect mum. But there are loving, caring, amazing ones and you are definitely one of them.

Also, low-self-esteem and perfectionism go hand in hand and I don't believe that you have to be a prefectionist in all areas of your life to be one in some areas. It's all about relative-deprivation: the more perfect you perceive your role-models/peers to be the more perfectionist you become, the more you judge yourself harshly and end up with low self-esteem. So there is one really easy cure: a) stop comparing yourself as you really have NO CLUE how other mothers are - it's impossible to see how they behave 24/7. And b) be kind to yourself. Your kids will learn from you to be kind to themselves to and that's a very very valuable lesson.

Edit: Oh, and I love your new names! CheerfullyCheap especially.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:06 pm

Hi eschano and Sonya,
Thanks for the comments. I hope you know how helpful they are as I try to regain my equilibrium after such a stresful couple of weeks.

Eschano, I like cheerfullycheap, too! However, I realized it's not quite right....I am not actually being cheap, just trying to reign in my budget. I still can spend tons on the weekend if I so choose. I would love to be more frugal, but I'm just not that person..... yet?

Monday, Week 29
N Day
NoSEating
B: coffee with cream, oatmeal
L: chicken pot pie, apple, clementine
D: (will be) spaghetti and garlic bread
JustMoveIt
walked to/from work (90 minutes)
SpendonSDays
All Clear
KidsUnplugged
All Clear
RaisingReaders
Need to log one hour today update: made it!

According to Hacker's Diet Online, where I've started logging my weight (Linda's idea!) I have lost 0.31 lbs/week, which is ~150 calorie deficit/day. I wish I could figure out how to link my graph, because the visual is cool to see. Small changes add up, albeit slowly, over time.
Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Jill d

Post by Jill d » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Just wanted to tell you that the other day as I was getting ready to let my kids go watch their video, I thought of your reading emphasis with your kids. So, I sat on the couch with my 3 and we read for 20 minutes together (before they watched their video) and they loved it. Thank you!!
"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labour of a spasmodic Hercules." -Anthony Trollope

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Glad you liked the graphing idea. Really inspires me to just keep on keeping on!

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:24 pm

Love your goals!

JustMoveIt and RaisingReaders are great titles!!

jw

Post by jw » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:24 pm

auto, how about MoneyMindful -- or StrategicSpending? You're not being cheap, you're just applying a conscious strategy to your spending and saving. Like you, I also hate to think of myself as cheap -- every once in a while I splurge like crazy -- but that's only possible because I am frugal most of the time!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:26 am

Tuesday, Week 29
N Day
NoSEating
B: oatmeal, coffee with cream
L: spaghetti, apple, clementine
D: bacon cheeseburger and fries and margarita
JustMoveIt
walked to work
StrategicSpending (I like it, jw!!)
All Clear
KidsUnplugged
Video games at second dentist appt.....they have them on the ceiling!!!
RaisingReaders
S Day, but actually squeezed in 10 minutes before they discovered the video games on the ceiling.

OK, so ...... drum roll....... I can finally mention something that has been stressing, stressing, stressing my husband and I for the last 5 months! He applied for a full-time teaching job, and he got it! We just found out today. The process was very long and involved, and we are so thankful that he got the job! This was one of the issues that has been chronically weighing on us both. He already teaches at the school, but is only paid at a part-time rate, so this long process felt like an important validation of his hard work over the past few years.

So, we are excited for him and looking forward to next year. We think we can still swing homeschooling our 8-yr old (he'll be 3rd grade next year) because we have homeschooling friends now that he can stay with while we are at work. I am mulling over the idea of enrolling our 4 yr old (soon to be 5) in the Montessori school. Our older son went there for 2 years, and it is a great school. I can't really see sitting him down for serious Kindergarten yet, so that could give him one more year of unstructured learning before we hit the books. Ha ha, sort of just kidding, but hopefully you know what I mean.

LAM (which I don't do every day but I love in theory!!): I made an appt for a massage on Saturday morning! I think I am seriously due some relaxation and a fantastic neck rub!

Oh, my goodness I feel such a weight lifted off my shoulders. 5 months of cortisol leaking away. Ahhhhhhhhh.
Last edited by automatedeating on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:26 am

Congratulations!!!! I'm SO happy for you both! What a big relief you must be feeling. :)

My girls did Montessori starting at age 3 thru 2nd grade for oldest & K for youngest. Was a great experience.

Great idea on the massage. You deserve it!

chani8

Post by chani8 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:36 am

I agree that montessori is a great option and compliments the homeschooling philosophy (well, in some ways, as school is still school). My girls went to a private montessori style school until 3rd grade, then the school closed. What a shock to all of us when they went to a very structured private school. They still remember some cute things they learned in montessori. When learning is not forced, it just goes in so much better. I actually homeschooled of and on with some of my kids due to learning problems, and I loved it. But my Hebrew is terrible so they needed to get out if only to get the language. They all enjoy school enough to go once in a while, but they're often finding excuses to stay home. We're all a bunch of intellectual introverts. Gee, sorry, I'm just going on and on. All those words I saved up since I last posted. lol

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:39 am

Oh how very wonderful auto! I'm so delighted for you and your husband! Well done! It's always great when hard work pays off!

Love the LAM and JW's StrategicSpending. Also, KidsUnplugged. Very good. You're getting there with the names :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Hi Linda and chani! Cool that you both had kids do Montessori, too!

And Chani, the nice thing about homeschooling is that whenever there's a topic that you don't feel confident teaching, you just find a class for that. So my son takes Art, Science (yes, I'm a science teacher but I prefer the experiment messes contained in a classroom!!!!), Taekwondo and Piano at our local District Homeschooling Co-op.

My husband and I want to keep our spending the same even though he will be getting a raise, but I am already salivating over the idea of hiring a native Spanish-speaking tutor next year.

eschano, I think I'm happy with my system "names" for the time being! ha ha it was fun to hear suggestions and try new things out. I feel like the names accurately explain what I'm doing, but are reasonably catchy phrases, too. I have to say, SavingToBuyAYacht was the best of all, except I cannot in my life imagine actually doing that! Maybe you should add that one to you and your new BF's list! :lol:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:06 am

Wednesday, Week 29
N Day
NoSEating
B: oatmeal, coffee with cream
L: PB&J, chips, clementine
D: spaghetti, garlic bread
JustMoveIt
Walked to/from work. Maybe I've said this a million times, but I can't believe that even in the midst of CRAZY stress at work, I am still exercising!! It truly is only because walking is: 1) not intense enough to dread; 2) not intense enough to need to shower after; 3) walking to work is a natural part of my day because it gets me somewhere I need to go! This year has shown me in a tangible way that something is always better than nothing when it comes to exercise; and that I shouldn't let the perfect exercise (more intense/athletic) be the enemy of the good enough (just putting one foot in front of the other). Yay for walking!
StrategicSpending
All Clear!
KidsUnplugged
All Clear!
RaisingReaders
Still have one hour to log.... Made it!
Last edited by automatedeating on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:39 am

Looks like another great day auto! So awesome how the walking is working on so many levels for you.

In dr ornishs book (I was big into lowfat craze for yrs) he talks about a study done with three exercise groups all walkers I believe but different intensities & duration. Well the one with the lowest intensity (a stroll) and highest duration (60-75mins) beat out the rest of the groups for weight loss so with your duration I wouldn't worry too much about intensity. I think you're smart to see what your body feels up to on a given day.

Enjoy you're reading time! We just started Mary Poppins--so fun!

Linda

chani8

Post by chani8 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:33 am

Walking is awesome. I don't do any exercise that works up a sweat. ewww. lol! That's why I do weights, and calisthenics for short times.

A study that Reinhard linked to showed that walking is even better than jogging.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:55 am

I'm enjoying my walk to work too! The walk home always needs a bit of mental energy though. I don't massively enjoy a 30 min walk in the dark. But then, it's summer soon so it's already getting brighter.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:33 pm

Linda, that's interesting about the Ornish study on walkers. Thanks for sharing. Mary Poppins! I wonder when that book was written?

eschano, my morning walk is usually in the dark, and if the stars are out, and it's so quiet, it's kind of like you're sneaking through the world.....I can't quite explain it, but I love it. Now, in London (I think that's where you are?) I doubt you can see many stars on your walk home!!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:50 pm

Yes, I'm in London, I do see the stars where I am but it's on a very busy road that doesn't seem very safe so in the dark I'm always a bit nervous. However, it's already getting much brighter and I'm sure I'll enjoy it once it's light.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:27 am

Thursday, Week 29
N Day
NoSEating
B: coffee with cream
D: French dip sandwich, chips?
wine
I have to be honest: I feel a little more ..... anxious .... about the scale this week than normal. I'm afraid I'm gaining.... I'm following NoS, but I have noticed I've been piling up the plates and going for the starchy foods. Probably fatigue and stress-related, in which case I should thank NoS for keeping me from going extra wild. Yes, that's what I'm going to focus on. I'm tired, I'm worn out, there has been uber-stress at work, and yet I'm not overeating like crazy. I know in previous years that is exactly what I have done, and so habit is helping. Habit is helping, habit is helping control the bleed.....
JustMoveIt
walked to/from work -- ha, ha Linda, I "strolled"
StrategicSpending
All Clear. This really is such an excellent fit for my overspending tendencies. It is extremely sustainable, even in times of high stress.
KidsUnplugged
All Clear
RaisingReaders
Still need to get in 20 minutes reading tonight....made it!
Last edited by automatedeating on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:02 am

I'm having a bit of a heavier plate time too. Might be the seasonal change? No worries, maintaining is good too! Or limiting the gain. As soon as your body adjusted to spring you're back to losing in my experience.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

jw

Post by jw » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:38 pm

So many good things have happened since I last visited, auto -- your dh's contract (!), Montessori -- no wonder you're worrying about the scales and your food. You've got the worry habit and some of your biggies have evaporated, so the diet is next on the list! Just touch wood and keep going -- habit is the key and an extra potato or two during this stressful time won't hurt a bit!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:37 pm

If your emotional eating is limited to three plates I doubt you will gain anything. It's normal & fine to plateau a little esp you being so close to your goal. At this point your weight loss must be at a snail's pace.

I definitely have weeks of heavier plates but it's always followed by weeks of lighter plates. I think you have to trust your body to know what it needs within the wise NoS structure.

Hang in there!

Linda

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. Linda, I am really going to cling to that idea: my emotional eating can have an outlet of 3 meals a day, but I won't indulge it any more than that! :)

I think it could be not only seasonal, eschano,, but also possibly Daylight Savings related. I've been exhausted all week, and I'm sure that "springing" forward one hour didn't help! Plus, if there's one thing I've connected with overeating (besides stress) it's fatigue. I crave carbs, carbs, carbs when I am tired.

And jw, you made me laugh! I have the "worry habit" down pat. Now where is my NoWorrying System? :lol:

Friday, Week 29
N Day
NoSEating
B: coffee with milk, bacon, eggs and toast
D: pizza, glass of milk
JustMoveIt
Rest Day
StrategicSpending
All Clear, but OHHHH how I wanted to go out to lunch today and stuff my face with carbolicious fast food
KidsUnplugged
All Clear, they are in their final few minutes before Friday night electronics are allowed. :)
RaisingReaders
20 minutes of Magic Treehouse already! My adjusted (and more reasonable) goals of 20 minutes most days with just a couple days that aim for one hour have been a lot more successful.

Last Friday I took an impromptu S Day with my family and we had so much fun, so it was a little tempting today to want to do that again!!! Settled for a regular afternoon instead. Which was perfectly fine. Oh, LAM: a nap!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:59 am

I like the idea of following a NoWorrying System, auto. I seriously
think I am going to try that! Not sure how I'd track it, but still
I'm going to do it.
--minimizer--

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Saturday, Week 29
S Day S Day S Day
NoSEating
B: eggs and toast, coffee with cream
L: few bites of churro, chocolate milk shake, chips, and bowl of frosted flakes
Snack: 2 pieces of chocolate
D: sub sandwich, potato salad
JustMoveIt
Rest Day
Strategic Spending
grocery shopping, Amazon kindle book($4), $12 on new apps for kids(!), smoothie and churro for kids at Costco, D'Aulaire Greek Mythology hardback for reference

WANTED to spend even more, but somehow realized my pleasure at the purchases would not be worth it. I tell you, this plan is a life-saver for a stress-spender like myself. I'm not the type to go out shopping for clothes--but watch out on lattes, take-out, and internet book/educational purchases! StrategicSpending puts boundaries around my spending without being too restrictive for me to live with long-term.
KidsUnplugged
Good day, they played inside, they played outside, they did chores, we played games....good balance.
RaisingReaders
25 minutes
LAM: got a massage! I guess my neck is a little more messed up than I had even realized. I get somewhat frequent headaches. I think my posture is bad, I hunch over.... bookworm posture. :)

Sunday, Week 30
S Day S Day S Day
NoSEating
B: IHOP with the boys: baon, eggs, hashbrowns and a cream-cheese-filled raspberry crepe! coffee with milk
L: piece of bread, chili with chips, vanilla whole-milk latte
D: tutor tot casserole, chocolate milkshake

NoS is providing me stability right now. Last year at this time, I started gaining weight rather quickly (about 5 pounds in 4 months, I estimate) due to feeling the need to .... "reward" myself for my crazy schedule by eating fast food at every opportunity. I suspect I had eaten like this in the past and been able to get away with it (faster metabolism or something?)...but I guess it's possible my bad habits had just intensified and I didn't realize how much I was actually eating. I currently "calmly observe" that I want to eat like that, but I won't consider compromising my commitment to moderate eating. Therefore, the damage is contained. I'm starting to think that just maintaining between now and the end of the school year will be an accomplishment! Sort of the way most people are happy to maintain through the holidays. On the other hand, maybe this is just a short-term phase of comfort food cravings, and it will pass soon. Time shall tell, but in the meantime, I'm thankful for the boundaries NoS provides me (that our culture does NOT provide).
JustMoveIt
50 jumping jacks
30-second plank
StrategicSpending
vanilla latte at Starbucks
wanting to buy more books, but like yesterday, not sure the fleeting pleasure is worth it. Also thinking about buying a special pillow to support my neck.
KidsUnplugged
All Good, nice balance again. I can live with this.
RaisingReaders
Goosebumps
LAM: did some recommended stretches to improve my posture, bought a latte
Last edited by automatedeating on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:48 am

Sounds like a great weekend auto! Watch that posture on your long walks to work as well. I always make sure I'm contracting my stomach muscles, especially when carrying a heavy bag so I don't get a bad back.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

jw

Post by jw » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:52 pm

"NoS is providing me stability right now." True words, auto! It is a rock, isn't it? And you have worked out other kinds of rewards, LAM-style!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:52 pm

After reading a couple threads today and once again contemplating my no-veggie diet (due to not liking to cook...) I had a laugh imagining the day when my next system actually sounds do-able: AUTOEATSVEGGIES Hahhahaha
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:53 pm

i think the "no worrying day" would be a great thing for me as well. i like to hear about all the new things people are doing. these systems are pretty easy to implement really. should have been doing this for years... :)
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:01 am

Monday, Week 30
N Day
NoSEating
B: coffee with cream
L: chicken pot pie (hey, that does have veggies in it....), 2 clementines (see, I do like fruit!)
D: not yet, but planning on spaghetti (as usual for Mon night) but it sounds completely unappetizing. Hmmmm I have 40 minutes to get dinner together. update: my husband was kind enough to indulge my laziness and bring home McDonald's!
JustMoveIt
walked to/from work
posture exercises
ran around quite a bit with my 4-yr-old
StrategicSpending
All Clear
KidsUnplugged
No problems
RaisingReaders
Need to log one hour, which could be more challenging tonight because my husband will be home and my 8-yr-old has been at work with my husband...so he's going to want to play outside until later than normal. Ah, well, I'll figure it out. Update: got it all in
LAM: stretches, having a "follow-up" from the masseuse after she was somewhat concerned Saturday
Contemplated the idea of actually working to make veggies part of our diet. Trust me, even contemplating it is progress.
Last edited by automatedeating on Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:18 am

working to make veggies part of our diet.
Hard to do this time of year but not impossible. I was so desperate for a Zucchini the other day I almost bought one but then I remembered how mushy and flavourless it would be right now.

In the summer we eat tons of them and they are delish - right now everything is a bit limp. I say lots and lots of salads until the good stuff comes out. AND if you can grow some well they taste marvelous and you will feel quite pleased with yourself.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:12 am

I try to have fruit or veg on my plate for every meal but if in the end I don't feel like eating it I give myself an out. I do the same for my kids. I always have available at ea meal but never make them eat it.

Smoothies are a great way to add fruit if that's something you enjoy (frozen bananas are key!)

Linda

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:29 am

Your husband is a darling and how fun that NoS is a diet where McDonalds is not a problem from time to time :)

If you freeze a banana do you freeze it in it's skin or peel first (yep, see, still a beginner after all, haha).
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:51 am

Must peel it first! :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:01 pm

Thanks auto! :oops:
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:16 pm

Lol yeah should have mentioned that. I told my friend about the frozen banana thing & she said "it worked great but was really hard to peel". Oops!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:09 am

Tuesday, Week 30
N Day
NoSEating
B: coffee with milk
L: BIG salad with avocado, DELICIOUS soup (toscano?), artisan bread, kombucha (you guessed it, lunch at friend's house that cooks like Linda and Imogen probably do....) BTW, my friend knows about NoS, and she made dessert anyway for others, which I appreciated. A couple months she didn't make dessert at all out of respect for me. I prefer it this way, because honestly, refusing dessert is not a challenge for me. As long as I'm otherwise not hungry, and I was very nicely full after that gorgeous meal.
D: not yet, but it's date night! Update: had a great gourmet pizza.
JustMoveIt
walked to work and partially home (to the friend's house, then my husband picked up me and the kids from there). Sometimes walking to work gets a little complicated, but it's always worth the effort!
Stretches for posture
StrategicSpending
(Planned) Fail. Bought an online reading game subscription for my 4-yr old to play on while my 8-yr old and I do schoolwork. I've been wanting to purchase this program for awhile, and they had a special deal this week that I knew was too good to pass up. And BTW, it won't count as electronic use. :)
UnpluggedKids
All Good. My 8-yr-old has gotten into Pokemon. I guess it's a card game, it seems kind of complicated! Yesterday he played for 2 hours with a colleague of mine that is into it!
RaisingReaders
ReadingRest Day :wink:
I have plans to find some books about good leaders for my 8-yr old. He's naturally bossy--oops, I mean, naturally a leader, and so I've been trying to discuss traits of good leaders with him. Then my husband told me he heard our son telling his friends, "my mom says I'm a natural leader, so you might as well just obey me without arguing". Nice.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:08 am

Ohmygoodness my turn to lmao. Your son's remark is pretty priceless.

Sounds like a wonderful day and your mood sounds super upbeat again which is awesome to see.

Also, thank you for the lovely compliment. :oops:

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:47 am

Hmm. I think Disney movies like The Lion King are about being a leader and taking responsibility for others and your actions/place in life.

There are so many books I can think of but most are for an older audience, like Lord of the Rings, Lord of Flies, Watership Down. I'll think about some more appropriate for 8 year olds.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:43 pm

My mom used to tell anyone that would listen that I was headstrong - she even read books about dealing with headstrong children :D While I was a handful and a half as a child - as an adult now I think she did a pretty good job of making sure I didn't turn out to be a dictator/criminal/psychopath. I have no idea how she did it -and I don't have any children of my own so of course I think I know everything about childrearing :lol:

I was like your son though - and I turned out just fine. You probably have a lawyer or CEO in the making.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Wednesday, Week 30
N Day
NoSEating
L: sausage penne, apple, chips
D: not yet
JustMoveIt
Walked to/from work
StrategicSpending
All Clear
KidsUnplugged
All Clear
RaisingReaders
1 hour to log. My husband will be home again, so this will be more of a challenge. Made it to 30 minutes, and I consider that a success since we had a crazy afternoon.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Thursday, Week 30
N Day
NoSEating
B: 1 piece toast, glass of milk
L: taco salad
D: tator tot casserole
JustMoveIt
Walked to work, then walked with my son while he went on a pony trail ride. :)
StrategicSpending
Another planned fail. I need to buy some thing for my class that have to be done on weekdays. I'm going right now.
KidsUnplugged
All Clear
RaisingReaders
One hour. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:54 am

A pony trail ride, how sweet! And wow that you walked it! Great day!

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:26 am

Great one auto!

Well, if it has to be done on a weekday than I think it's an S day for StrategicSpending rather than a fail :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

mestahl

Post by mestahl » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:56 pm

You are on a roll and look - here we are practically looking at the weekend. Way to go :D

jw

Post by jw » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:35 pm

auto, your various mods are working and you sound much lighter, in spite of the busy time of year! I am catching up on posts -- love the one about "My Son, the Dictator!" LOL!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:55 pm

Friday, Week 30
N Day N Day
NoSEating
L: PB&J, chips, apple, clementine
D: corned beef, cabbage, and potatoes (late St. Patty's dinner..!)
wine
JustMoveIt
Rest Day
StrategicSpending
All Clear. This week was a bit bumpy for this system, but they were pretty unavoidable bumps. I am sort of on spring break for the next two weeks (some required work days in there), so it will be interesting to see how StrategicSpending holds together. Sort of a test run for summer break.
KidsUnplugged
All Clear
RaisingReaders
30+ minutes
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:50 am

Two weeks of Spring Break--yay! Hope you get to do some fun stuff.

So envious of your spending system. I can't seem to manage a single no spending day. I keep he telling DH it's a good thing we have a camper because I'm pretty sure that's where will be spending our retirement days. He says we'll just sell the house and move to Costa Rica where cost of living is good. Seriously thinking about it!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:00 pm

Linda, as much as I'd love to say we've got our act together financially, that is so not true in my house. Indeed, I have some serious SHAME about how much money I spend frivolously and how poorly I've managed our money over the years (both the day to day spending and the big purchases like houses). That is why I love StrategicSpending. It has given me back a tiny bit of .... confidence/competence/hope .... something good in this arena.

Saturday, Week 30
S Day S Day S Day
NoSEating
B: bacon and eggs, hashbrowns, coffee with milk
L: (at IKEA!) meatballs, chicken tenders, potatoes, carrots, french fries, diet coke, part of cookie (the boys and I shared)
snack: licorice (lots)
snack?: when we got home, my husband had a Costco pizza ready to eat. I ate a piece, and it was mid-afternoon! I felt really weird for having done that, but my husband reminded me: "It's an S Day! You can't fail on an S Day" (yes, I've taught him well!)
Well, then I truly didn't feel guilty, but guess what?! My body is used to NOT overeating, so I wasn't hungry again for the rest of the day. Dinner time came and went and I had no desire to eat. So, kudos to the power of habit!
JustMoveIt
Walked all over IKEA!
StrategicSpending
IKEA was a spontaneous trip (planned the day before by a coworker and myself) so I didn't have a list of things that would be good to buy. That was probably good in some ways, but I only get to that store once every couple of years. I would have enjoyed buying some perfect organizing materials for the house. The cool thing was that I came home VERY motivated to spring clean my house from top to bottom! :)
Bought a replacement chair (one of ours broke), 3 small fake plants/cute pots and a decoration for my office, a couple of cute stuffed animals for the boys and a little book that has the animals in it! Bought some chocolate bars, licorice, cinnamon rolls. Sheesh, I guess I just bored you all to tears with my shopping list! :lol:
KidsUnplugged
Well, neither did much in the way of electronics today because we were on the road to and from IKEA. And then we played outside. Maybe the nicest part was that the kids didn't complain or mention that it was an Electronics-OK day and they were getting "shorted" (hehe) out of time.
RaisingReaders
RestingReaders, but I still read about 15 minutes. Do you know what has helped me in this area? Two things: One I've already mentioned--I lowered the bar and changed up my expectations. The second thing is that I've curtailed my own reading! Bummer in a way, but I do enjoy the books I read with the kids, too, so I am going to look at it as a way to re-experience the joy of reading I had as a kid. When I was growing up, I thought so many books were awesome! And now, as an adult, I often throw my book aside, muttering, "What a dud!" and move on to the next dud. This way, I'll be assured that I am reading books that have delighted myself and others for generations. :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:40 pm

What a great day you had! Hope today is just as fun for you! :)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:24 am

Thanks, Chani! :)
Sunday, Week 31
S Day S Day S Day
NoSEating
B: cinnamon roll, coffee with milk
L: pizza, 1/2 cinnamon roll
snacks: licorice, 1 chocolate egg
D: chips, chocolate bar
wine
JustMoveIt
Cleaned and Organized Rooms ALL DAY
StrategicSpending
hun, interesting, I was so busy cleaning I forgot to buy anything. :)
KidsUnplugged
They were busy playing and helping me clean today, so electronics were not crazy.
RaisingReaders
Ooops, my 8-yr old even asked me to read! And I was so focused on my cleaning I told him to watch another show!!!!! Ack. Can't say I feel too bad, though. I was massively productive today. It's funny how this happens the weekend after the quarter ends.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:14 am

Yay for being productive today!! I read your ikea list with great interest but hey I'm a shopper. I think you did great at ikea. You bought some fun stuff without overdoing it.

I hear ya about the finance stuff. I really hate money issues. So stressful!!

Also really relate with you on childrens literature front. I really love that I can share all my favorite books with my kids and relive that magical feeling I got when I was a child. Btw, have you read them From The Mixed up Files of Mrs. Basil e Frankweiler ? My fav!

Anyway glad you had a great weekend!

Linda

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:13 am

Your 8 year old asked you to read? You are raising readers!!! Well done :D
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:16 pm

LOL on sending your son back to watch another show!

And just WOW, you had a great weekend! Love that you cleaned and organized! That's such a great feeling, isn't it?!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:46 pm

Monday, Week 31
N Day
NoSEating
L: roast beef sandwich, chips, tomato soup
D: beef brisket, potatoes, salad, roll
JustMoveIt
45 minute walk with a co-worker in the woods
StrategicSpending
Made it! And lots of temptation to buy a latte on the way to my overnighter work conference, but I'm glad I held out
KidsUnplugged
I was gone at the conference, but found out my husband let them watch Frozen! :roll:
RaisingReaders
My husband read to them for awhile since I was gone.

Tuesday, Week 31
Today is 7 months! I'll have to weigh in tomorrow--I was out of town this morning so couldn't weigh.
N Day
NoSEating
B: ham and egg quiche, coffee with milk, fruit, bit of blueberry scone (which I belatedly wondered-briefly-if it was an S. I wouldn't normally have had it, but it was conference food, oatmeal with brown sugar and milk.
L: big salad, little bit of soup, couple chips
D: not yet
JustMoveIt
walked 45 minutes in the woods with 2 co-workers
StrategicSpending
All Clear
KidsUnplugged
Resisted the STRONG temptation to let them watch Frozen! I am so tired (didn't sleep well last night), and it is rainy.
RaisingReaders
Reading Rest Day
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:44 am

Congratulations on your 7 months auto!

So close to your first testimonial now :)

Have to admit: I watched frozen twice, loved it so much, hehe.

As for the blueberry muffin: as you were at a conference I would file it under "funny stuff".

I'm very inspired by the way you make walking work even at a conference - well done you!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:31 pm

Blueberry scone is def not an S. If you were ordering dessert at a special restaurant would it ever be a blueberry scone? I think not. So no worries, you did great.

You have some serious parenting will power. I would have given into letting them watch a movie after about 1 second of begging but looks like your habit is pretty firm here!

Hope the conference went well!
Linda

jw

Post by jw » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:24 pm

Congrats on 7 months, auto! What a trip it's been!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks guys for the congrats on my 7-month mark and for absolving me of all food-guilt about the blueberry scone. :lol:

I slept for 7 hours without any awareness and it was just bliss to wake up refreshed.

Wednesday, Week 31
N Day
NoSEating
B: coffee with milk, bacon and eggs
L: chicken pot pie, chips, diet soda
D: teriyaki chicken and mashed potatoes
JustMoveIt
1 hour
This one was fun. I'm quite proud of my creativity in fitting in my walking today, and getting something off of my to-do list: I drove our little car to the windshield repair shop and then walked home! I'll pick it up tonight or tomorrow with my husband.
StrategicSpending
All Clear so far, maybe I'll get my husband to pay for the windshield! :lol: That's how I get around Tuesday night date night!
BUT, I am wanting to spend. Here's my list for those that enjoy reading others' shopping list (Linda):

first item: new purse! I want the most ergonomic, compact, durable, cross-shoulder bag ever. Currently I just use my backpack and keep my wallet, phone and to-do list in a freezer plastic bag. :shock: I've noticed StrategicSpending has increased my desire for higher quality items, rather than just lots of items!

second item: Awesomest coffee thermos ever. As you all have probably noticed, I drink a lot of coffee. I've decided I want to buy a 24-oz thermos that has a cup for a lid, but never leaks, is easy to clean, and has a strap for carrying.

third item: 3 extra large high-quality plastic tubs with excellent fitting lids to put all the Thomas the Train stuff in. I'm going to save them for the grandkids (yes, yes, I've already started thinking about things like that!), but I don't dare pack them up in my garage until I have them well-packaged.

fourth item: 3 fitted, padded, supportive bras with cross-straps that will never on this planet fall off my shoulders.

Last item: new backpack! I want one with chest straps to keep the backpack straps from falling off my shoulders while I walk. Boy, do you see a theme? Good strap wanted on purse, bras, coffee thermos, and backpack.

KidsUnplugged
All Clear
RaisingReaders
Need to log one hour today. I got the Book of Trolls via interlibrary loan yesterday and we are looking forward to reading some of it tonight! Update: made it!
Last edited by automatedeating on Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:32 pm

Congrats on 7 months of No S and finding moderation in so many areas of your life! :D
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

Jill d

Post by Jill d » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Congratulations on 7 months! :!:
I love reading your detailed reports. (I'm laughing because my kids are all playing computer games as I type this. But, we are getting their bikes ready for a ride!) Anyway, you are really doing some interesting things with the No-S base model, and it's very inspiring to read about.
"A small daily task, if it be really daily, will beat the labour of a spasmodic Hercules." -Anthony Trollope

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:40 am

7 months - nice work auto!
automatedeating wrote:I'm going to save them for the grandkids (yes, yes, I've already started thinking about things like that!)
This makes me smile. Since I had my son, my mother has started pulling out all sorts of things out of the cupboards for him - my old Fisher Price cash register, my set of Beatrix Potter books. Who knew she was hoarding this stuff the last 34 years!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:45 am

Ohh now I'm really wanting a cool new purse too.

I love how your new spending planning is really helping you to clarify what you really want/need. Really helps to eliminate buyers remorse I bet!

Linda

chani8

Post by chani8 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:31 pm

Serious walkers need serious straps on their bras, backpacks, purses and... coffee. :) We used to just fill our liter water bottles up with cooled coffee. In the summer we half-freeze them for ice coffee slushes to-go.

I'm impressed that you didn't make going to a conference into an S day.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:05 pm

Hi ! Just wanted to stop by and say that I have read your entire thread and found it so inspirational. You lead a very interesting life and I am happy that you are sharing it with all of us.

My best to you on your journey.
Berry

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks Berry! I love that you stopped by my thread! You are quite the heroine in my book, for: Big Salads, Big Walks, Big Challenges, and Big Commitment.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:48 pm

ironchef, I have given so much stuff away to Goodwill only to wish I hadn't. I have the opposite problems of hoarders, lol, I get rid of things in a flash and then have to go buy them again!

Linda, are you a big purse or a little purse (or both) kind of gal? :)

Chani, love it that I need great straps for everything. I feel like that could be a business model. :lol:

Thursday, Week 31
N Day
NoSEating
B: bacon, eggs and hashbrowns, coffee with milk
L: chicken pasta salad
D: meatballs, liinguini, chicken pasta salad
JustMoveIt
1 hour
I just hoofed it down to the AutoGlass store to pick up my car; I could get in to this Urban Rangering! It saved my husband and I having to figure out how to get over there yesterday, and then again today. What errands could I walk tomorrow? :wink:
StrategicSpending
All Clear
KidsUnplugged
No problem-o
RaisingReaders
Goal--20 minutes
We're working through the Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, probably about halfway through book 2. We're reading Greek Myths by D'Aulaire, and also stories from their Book of Trolls. Then the rest of our reading time is usually Berenstain Bears or Curious George, other kid picture books to keep the 4-yr-old involved (the 8-yr old always listens, too, despite saying those books are for babies!)

I'm nearing the end of my first week of spring break, and the house is still not clean. I guess I did have that conference M/T, so maybe by the end of today I'll have made better progress............... update: that's it! I AM going to clean out the fridge and freezer right now!!
Last edited by automatedeating on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

jw

Post by jw » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:40 am

LOL! "I have the opposite problems of hoarders, lol, I get rid of things in a flash and then have to go buy them again!"

I get rid of stuff easily, too -- but then when I go to look for something and it's not right there, I assume I've given it away, buy it again, then find it! This happens with books all the time!

Your Spring Break sounds great! It would be a shame to spend it all cleaning . . .

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:15 pm

You're doing great auto!! After Easter when my lent is over I will be adopting a modified version of StrategicSpending :) Just don't want to pile on too much.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 pm

Friday, Week 31
N Day
NoSEating
B: egg and toast, coffee with milk
L: tuna fish sandwich, chips, diet pepsi, little bit of chicken salad
D: (will be) pizza and wine! we are having friends over---one of them said she is "counting calories" but will just pick things off the pizza. I thought, wow, today is an N day and I am having pizza and don't have to alter my day at all to moderate my eating. NoS Rocks!
JustMoveIt
Rest Day, but I have been a cleaning fiend.
StrategicSpending
All Clear
KidsUnplugged
All Clear
RaisingReaders
I should try to get the reading in before our friends get here....update: got it done.
Last edited by automatedeating on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:54 pm

Hi auto

I'm mainly a big purse kind of gal but have a couple of small ones as well.

Good luck with your cleaning. I love me a sparkly clean frig/freezer. I organize my shelves by food type!

Linda
Last edited by lpearlmom on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:31 pm

Saturday, Week 31
S Day S Day S Day
NoSEating
B: dutch boy with butter, whipped cream and blackberry syrup
coconut latte
L: croissant sandwich with cheese, turkey, mayo; carrot sticks, cucumbers, potato chips, few cashews, coconut cookie
D: burger and curly fries, diet coke, chocolate milkshake
JustMoveIt
Rest Day
StrategicSpending
Whoa, big day: Ross (purse, toy for each kid--sigh); Costco (food + summer water toys for kids--sigh + chocolate swirl for kids to share--sigh); Target (tupperwares, sidewalk chalk for kids--sigh); OfficeMax (short pen for my new purse) Theme: taking kids with you on multiple errands increases your spending, decreases your patience, and eliminates your chances of going bra-shopping.
Update: online shopping included--Our Island Story, Paddle to the Sea, Shakespeare for kids, Tales from Shakespeare; a cat scratch post; and a mug warmer (see excited explanation below).
KidsUnplugged
Since we spent half the day out and about, and then are going somewhere in an hour, electronics were naturally limited.
RaisingReaders
Rest Day

I settled on a very small purse that has a long cross-body strap; it has a front zippered pocket that opens completely to be a wallet. I keep my index cards there (to-do list); my new pen; and my license, cards and cash. The back zippered pocket holds my cell phone and keys. Perfect! Anytime I go somewhere needing more than that, I just take my backpack. Which reminds me that is still on my shopping list. I couldn't find a thermos I like either. I'll keep looking.

Update: guess what?! I solved my thermos problem!!! My solution allows me to drink out of my regular ceramic mugs, but my coffee won't get cold. Are you ready? It's as simple as......a mug warmer. :) Yep, I bought a little mug warmer on Amazon that I can set my coffee cup on during class. Way cheaper than those fancy thermoses that would probably be a pain to clean and start leaking in no time. I hate drinking out of those things, too.

NoS Thought:
I say this a little tongue-in-cheek: at the same time that NoS is helping me get over my perfectionism about some things, I see myself becoming exceedingly picky and demanding about my "systems". I remember when my older son was in Montessori school, one of the "negatives" I'd hear about the Montessori method was that it made kids have OCD because they were trained to have everything "just so". (Note: this criticism never bothered me and I can attest that my older slob is as messy as can be). It's like now that I have seen how an organized system can be so effective, I am looking for efficiency in everything. Who would have thunk I'd get so excited over a mug warmer? Or a cross-body purse? Or the perfect walking backpack? :)
First stop, NoS Systems. Next stop: loony bin.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:35 am

OMgosh, Auto, that was so funny!!!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:43 pm

Hi Chani, yeah, I did kind of think I was on a roll. Sometimes I need to make someone laugh, even if it just does end up being me laughing to myself.....see, that's one more loony bin qualification.

Sunday, Week 32 (am I having a baby in 8 weeks?)
S Day S Day S Day
NoSEating
B: 2 bowls of frosted flakes
coffee with milk
L: 1 Ikea chocolate bar, a piece of a terrible-tasting dutch baby and a few blueberries
D: not yet, but we're going out to a place called "coconut kenny's" that we hope makes us feel like we're in Margaritaville. :) Update: It was fun. We had great pizza, and Cinnamon donuts and ice cream.
JustMoveIt
Rest Day, but I still need to move my huge train-filled tupperwares to the garage and make room for them somehow amongst the backpacking gear I haven't used since I had kids!
StrategicSpending
Can you believe I haven't spent any money today? I probably have nothing left in my checking account after yesterday anyway.
KidsUnplugged
Lots of pokemon, escape from planet earth, plants vs. zombies and survivalcraft.
RaisingReaders
Already got in at least 20 minutes with the 4-yr old--Morris the Moose and Flat Stanley (note: it is so cute to hear him say Flat Stanley)
Last edited by automatedeating on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:21 am

Oh boy, your lunch of a "terrible tasting dutch baby" was worrying for a moment, before I googled it and worked out it was a food. :lol:

chani8

Post by chani8 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:04 am

I like your loony!

But no pregnancy jokes, please. ;) LOL. Oh, my twins were born at 32 wks.

Sorry about the bad dutch baby. Google sure makes them look good.

Coconut Kenny's sounds interesting. What kind of food?

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:04 am

automatedeating wrote:First stop, NoS Systems. Next stop: loony bin.
It's been ten minutes and I'm still laughing LOL!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:38 pm

I wish I had a quarter of your organization you have at home now!! I think it's amazing!!! One step at a time. I've finally got my head on straight to actually follow No-S. Spending and workouts and kid tv time....future bliss!! :)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks, all. TLMom, I am not organized at home! Notice I don't have a CleanHouse System yet..... ! But thanks for the encouragement. I do need it!

ironchef, Dutch babies are supposed to be delicious. I'm not sure what I did wrong. It was chewy and too salty.

eschano, I'm always ready to try and make a friend laugh!

OK, so quick as a wink I'm in a bad mood about my weight. I haven't hardly been weighing, then I did this morning (Monday morning, of all days) and it was 133.8. Right after I reported 132.5 as my monthly weight last week. I am letting this number affect my day. I will not do that anymore today!

But just a moment of writing down how this made me feel: 1) failure; 2) dishonest about my reporting. And all from one Monday morning weigh-in! OK, that's it. That number has no more power over me for the rest of today.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:02 pm

Funnily, I just commented on another thread that I wouldn't give too much weight to Monday weigh-ins. They are likely to measure water retention and volume in the stomach. If I count one weigh in daily (I actually always take an average and weigh daily but care most about...) it would be Wednesday, bang in the middle of S days.

So "cheer up and carry on" as they like to say in the UK, a variant of "keep calm and carry on".
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:29 am

hey auto, don't let one reading throw you off course - you're doing so great.
I easily go up and down by a kilo (2.2 pounds) in a week, especially if you compared a Monday morning with a Friday night.

Your post reminded me of Sarah in Labyrinth: You have no power over me!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:57 am

Thanks eschano and ironchef. I was pretty freaked out this morning. My normal Monday morning weigh-ins are typically not all that different than the rest of the week, and my fluctuations are usually only a pound or so. Ah, well. I'm not going to change anything, even if I stop losing. That's already been established on my thread..... lol, as if we never go back and question ourselves right after having a eureka moment, right?

Monday, Week 32
N Day
NoSEating
B: coffee with milk, egg and English muffin
L: leftover pizza, clementine
D: cheese quesadilla, apple, clementine
JustMoveIt
Didn't walk today, but I did do some more spring cleaning.
StrategicSpending
S Day for this: finally got to the bra store :) and also got a massage. I'm trying to go once a month (LAM); oh, we also went to a comic book store with the boys and bought a new game: Roman Taxi
KidsUnplugged
All Clear
RaisingReaders
Uh-oh, I have an hour to read to them, and they just want to play the new game...... Update: Read 30 minutes, which was actually a decent achievement, considering we spent an hour and half playing our new game: Roman Taxi. It's almost 10pm. So, a fail, but we should have categories for how disappointing a fail something is. :wink:

As I suspected, StrategicSpending is a little trickier during Spring Break. However, NoSEating gets 2 NWS days, so why not StrategicSpending?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

chani8

Post by chani8 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:21 am

I think playing a game together with your kids is just as good as reading with them. It's quality time. :) You're a great mom!

Glad to hear you got a lot of LAM yesterday. A new bra and a massage is awesome.

Nice to see all that fruit in your diet. I love clementines.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:16 am

Nice LAM, yummy food, all good otherwise, and I completely agree about the NWS days. Also, the spirit was not to spend money on superfluous things like lattes, right? So you stuck to that ;)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:00 pm

You're doing well. :wink: Good job!
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:23 am

Monday mornings are typically a higher weigh-in for me.
I'd say to weigh again on Friday and see how you're doing.
And good for you that you'll keep No S-ing, no matter what!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:20 am

Tuesday, Week 32
N Day
133.1 (better than yesterday, but this is still the first time that the monthly weight is not remaining as low as I reported. It feels scary that I am gaining. I know, I know, I'm overreacting. But there it is.)
NoSEating
B: coffee with milk, egg and toast
L: PB&J, apple, clementine, chips
D: not yet, but Asian food sounds good to me... we'll see! I don't suppose that will help my weight. Oh, no! I'm getting diet head!!!!!!!!!!! ACKKKKKKK, I will not go over to the Dark Side!
JustMoveIt
Did I ever move it!! I took the boys on a long walk. Then in the afternoon, I ran and ran alongside my 4-yr old who is learning to ride his bike. What a workout!
StrategicSpending
Finally, a non-spending day! And all my new books and coffee mug warmer arrived today. Gotta love Amazon Prime. It's like Christmas!
KidsUnplugged
Easy today. So sunny outside, + spring break. Everybody and their pets were outside.
RaisingReaders
Reading Rest Day, but actually I've logged 30 minutes already, somehow.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:49 am

Auto:sounds like a wonderful day!! I wish we had two weeks of spring break too. The weather is so much nicer than in the summer where we have to either be inside or in a pool to survive.

Love, love amazon prime! Can't wait till they have their flying robots up & running!

Sorry about the weight thing! It's hard not to panic I know but I really really doubt you're gaining. You have prob hit a plateau & just experiencing natural fluctuations within that plateau. You are very close to your goal weight if I'm not mistaken? Would you be upset if this is where your weight has naturally landed or feeling determined to get down a few pounds?

It's hard to make peace with these things I know. Sometimes I wonder if I've even lost any weight and I feel very discouraged that my clothes aren't looser. Then I think about others on NoS who've lost a good deal of weight but very slowly. Likely that's what our bodies are doing too and I'm okay with that. Nos is so doable, so enjoyable and has so many other benefits that if it takes me 5 yrs to get to my goal weight, so what?

You are doing great and you really have to ask yourself if you're really willing to sacrifice moderation for a lower weight? I know I'm not willing to do a whole lot more than I'm already doing, at least right now, so I really just need to be okay with whatever weight results from that effort. So much better than trying crazy diets which wouldn't even bring me any closer to my goal weight in the end anyway. So hang tight.

Linda

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:27 am

Welcome to plateau world! I just jumped off one. My advice: shrug your shoulders, shut up diet head, and keep on NoSing as if nothing had happened. At least for another 6 months. If nothing happens you can consider mods but before, take pride in your habits!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks Linda and eschano.

Linda, I might have been content (I think) to just let my body be where it wants to be with me eating 3 square meals a day. :) But I have to 'fess up that seeing other women my height wanting to be much lower than I weigh/already maintaining lower has affected me. Now it's my turn to "ignore the noise"

Eschano, plateaus mess with my mind! Even though I've been there before, and have heard (and believed!) the wisdom of others, it's like I have to learn the same lesson all over again. Is this the plateau that will never end? :)

We're taking the boys to visit Gram and Gramp and some cousins. Probably will go to the big city aquarium tomorrow.

I just read eschano's comment on Linda's check-in and wanted to add one more thought here: when I weighed 142, I would have been thrilled to be told I would be 9 pounds less at this point, using a very painless method like NoS. Now here I am, and it's like my standard has just shifted down, so I feel just as bad about my weight now as I did at 142. Weird, isn't it? But it's like eschano said, we are ever holding the standard at a place we are not.

Enough. It's time to be content and be grateful for all that I have!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Wednesday, Week 32
N Day--part travel day to visit G&G and cousins
NoSEating
B: eggs and toast, clementine, coffee with milk
L: turkey, cheese sandwiches, clementine, apple, chips
D: baked salmon with pesto, peas, potatoes
wine
JustMoveIt
More bike-riding with the 4-yr-old!
StrategicSpending
All Clear, but only because my husband will be paying for our ferry ride to visit G&G; we packed lunches to eat on the ferry (that's an improvement from the past)
KidsUnplugged
Easy-peasy--great weather, lots of kids to play with
RaisingReaders
This one might be a BIG challenge today. It always is when we travel.
Update: not bad. Gram and Gramp helped with reading, and I finished a Goosebumps story. Not sure how long...maybe 45 minutes?
Last edited by automatedeating on Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:43 am

I love what you wrote about being content! I know it's way easier said than done. Even me at my weight I need to get there (content despite being 70 pounds overweight), but for the record I would be having a huge party if I was 132! We are all very different, of course! Just sayin'..... ;)

ironchef

Re: Hey

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:58 am

tobiasmom wrote:I would be having a huge party if I was 132!
I guess the thing is that auto thought she would be having a big party at 132, but now she's here and it doesn't feel how she expected. And that's a weird thing to negotiate.

I've even found that as I get more content with my weight and eating habits, I've got to watch myself mentally so I don't turn my discontent / self-improvement kick onto other things (other aspects of my appearance, cleanliness of my house, my parenting etc). There is probably an endless list of things about me that could slightly better, but sometimes I need to take the focus off effort and change, and feel relaxed and grateful just being where I am.

I enjoyed this post from Zen Habits: http://zenhabits.net/no-goal/. I do actually have goals, but I enjoyed reading his point of view. I'm trying to err on the side of having process goals (e.g. stick with No-S) instead of outcome goals (weigh x kg).

chani8

Post by chani8 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:45 am

How fun to get to spend time with extended family, Auto!

Ironchef, I really appreciate that article you linked to! It is so apropo and I'm going to contemplate the idea of having no goals.

What do you think about that idea, Auto? Could you have no goals in even just one part of your life?

eschano

Re: Hey

Post by eschano » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:32 am

Auto, you are doing so well! Love your posts. Maybe it's a RaisingReaders S day if you travel that much?

I love watching kids play when there's lots of them - so imaginative!
ironchef wrote: I'm trying to err on the side of having process goals (e.g. stick with No-S) instead of outcome goals (weigh x kg).
I so agree with you ironchef! It should always be the process not the outcome!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016