Schnebit's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Schnebit

Schnebit's Daily Check-in

Post by Schnebit » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:14 pm

Hi All,

Today isn't actually my first day, but I figured since it was the beginning of the week it would be a good place to start.

Day 1: SUCCESS

No funny stuff today. I'm actually pretty impressed with myself, because they brought in dinner here at work and I didn't make a pig out of myself. I did eat what I wanted to, though (chicken marsala, raviolis, ziti), and kept it to ONE PLATE!

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:36 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

Funny stuff: None, really. Ordered in Boston Market at work. I ate a good amount of food, but made sure that I kept it to one plate (not piled).

So far, so good. I haven't really lost any weight, but I suspect it's because I'm adding muscle as well.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi Schnebit,

just wanted to chip in say that - although I don't want to rain on your parade - this is a fairly slow way to lose weight. Most people lose weight healthily and sustainably on this plan but unless they have literally hundreds of pounds to lose, they'll lose about 1 pound a week, on average.

The reason I'm putting this here is that this kind of weightloss is too small to measure so quickly - certainly you're unlikely to see any change in your weight after just 2 days!

I hope I haven't put you off or anything. This does really work, but it will take you a little more than a couple of days to really see the difference. The really interesting and exciting thing about NoS is the fact that it is sustainable and it's possible to stick to this for a very long time - even the rest of your life - so you shouldn't regain the weight that you do lose and will stay healthier for it.

Good luck!
C.
CaroleJo

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:25 pm

Hi Carolejo,

I've actually been doing the diet for about a week, although "officially" only since Monday.

And honestly, I'd be completely happy at about a pound or so per week!

Thanks for the input!

Jim

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:37 pm

Hi Jim!!!
Everyone is different.. Just keep plugging and the weight will come down!
Congrats on your office dinner success!!!!
Yay you!

Are you Shovelgloving?
If you are, I totally recommend that you measure yourself as well as weighing in... The weight gets really screwed up when a person is doing moderate weight bearing exercise...
Muscle definitely gets put on quite quickly with SG!
Good luck!
Peace,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:37 pm

Hi Deb,

I'm not shovelgloving, but I am exercising regularly. I definitely think that I've been adding muscle as well as losing fat, evidenced by the fact that my clothes are fitting better!

Thanks!

Jim

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:38 pm

Day 3: SUCCESS

Funny Stuff: None. Resisted the brownies that my wife made last night (yahoo!). And, the 3x day is getting much easier!

Jim

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:42 pm

Jim,

Congratulations on a solid start.

Weight loss is slow on no-s, as Carolejo warns, so mentally budget for that. What you get in exchange is sustainability and pleasure.

Reinhard

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:45 pm

Day 4: SUCCESS

No funny stuff.

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:02 pm

Day 5, 6, 7 & 8: SUCCESS

No funny stuff to report on. Thoroughly enjoyed my "S" days, though!

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:15 pm

Days 9 & 10: SUCCESS

No funny stuff... It's amazing how well my body is starting to adapt to only 3 meals a day. For the first few days, the hunger pangs were relentless... now, they're down to a mere rumble!

Jim

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:25 pm

Day 11: SUCCESS

Day 12: SUCCESS

Funny Stuff: Started my holiday weekend a little early by snacking on some jelly beans on Friday night.

Days 13 & 14: S-Days

A little over-indulgent here... hard not to be with holiday dinners, lots of candy and out-of-town guests.

Day 15: SUCCESS

Schnebit

Post by Schnebit » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:40 pm

Day 16: SUCCESS

Funny Stuff: None

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:21 pm

Go Schnebit Go!!!!!

ps.. I like saying your name!
That makes me giggle!

So happy things are going well for you!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Simon

Post by Simon » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:50 am

Schnebit:

I agree that it's fun to say your name. (Must resist having any Schnebits between meals. Sorry.)

And you alarm me. From your last sentence I get the impression that after you're through with the candy you eat the out of town guests.

Remind me never to visit you on S days!!
Simon
"Hickory Hand of the North"