Eating out and meal courses

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

weebly

Eating out and meal courses

Post by weebly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:34 am

Hi,

I'm very new to No S and was wondering how you manage eating out?

My husband and I often dine out for his work and will have multiple meal courses (not including dessert). The portions are usually very small (we currently live in Asia), but obviously they don't all come on the one plate.

How do you manage this? Do you just estimate the amount of food that would have fit in a plate and not eat beyond that?

Many thanks!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:09 am

Welcome!
Reinhard calls this "virtual plating", and it works exactly as you describe - imagine the size of a reasonable plate and don't eat beyond that.

If you are very new to No S, I'd suggest not worrying too much about it for the first few months. Do your best to virtual plate when you go to these work events, but don't get hung up on it. If you're on habit for several months and not seeing any results, then you can consider work dinners as one area to tighten up.

I am very bad at virtual plating - most times when I try it I end up over eating. Also, human brains are funny things; seeing that empty plate can give my mind the "full and done" feeling, regardless of how much is in my stomach.

weebly

thank you!

Post by weebly » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:35 am

Thank you for the welcome and the quick reply. Much appreciated. I will give virtual plating a try, many thanks again!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:42 am

There are two ways to address this:

The rule about one plate is the practical application of No Seconds. Technically, you aren't taking seconds but rather eating a single serving of each course. Since the small multiple courses is a culturally grounded way of eating that historically hasn't resulted in high rates of obesity in Asian cultures, I think you are safe.

The other suggestion involves getting a take out meal which would usually be served in courses and then plating it at home so you could actually see how much fits on a place and adjust your meal accordingly.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:There are two ways to address this:

The rule about one plate is the practical application of No Seconds. Technically, you aren't taking seconds but rather eating a single serving of each course. Since the small multiple courses is a culturally grounded way of eating that historically hasn't resulted in high rates of obesity in Asian cultures, I think you are safe.

The other suggestion involves getting a take out meal which would usually be served in courses and then plating it at home so you could actually see how much fits on a place and adjust your meal accordingly.
The third option is just not to worry about it. One plate is something that works well with American meals and not so well in other parts of the world. Do what works for you where you are.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

leafy_greens

Re: Eating out and meal courses

Post by leafy_greens » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:27 pm

weebly wrote:Hi,

I'm very new to No S and was wondering how you manage eating out?

My husband and I often dine out for his work and will have multiple meal courses (not including dessert). The portions are usually very small (we currently live in Asia), but obviously they don't all come on the one plate.

How do you manage this? Do you just estimate the amount of food that would have fit in a plate and not eat beyond that?

Many thanks!
The French virtual plate as part of their lifestyle (multiple courses, three times a day.) They're not fat or on diets.
"No S IS hard... It just turns out that everything else is harder." -oolala53

MamieTamar

Post by MamieTamar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Exactly so. For these precise cultural reasons, the concept "one plate" has no meaning for me, so I've "translated" it to : "a medium to small (according to appetite) portion of everything". It works quite well.
age 77
SBMI:29
CBMI: 27,7