Mimi's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:14 am

Sorry you've been sick - that's frustrating the very first week of school!

I signed up for the website you mentioned and I am going to try your method for the next two weeks to get a feel for what my plates should look like... It is sobering to see in black and white what your personal calorie level should be but better than fooling yourself with plates with too much food!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:33 am

Sobering it is, Amy, but valuable information. I am tall, 5'9", so I'm sure that allowed me more daily calories. I also entered the wish to lose 1.5 pounds per week which would also increase caloric intake, but I felt it would be sustainable over the long haul for me - and it has been. Over all, I've averaged about a one pound loss weekly - give or take. At that rate I have become comfortable with plate and portion sizes and have not felt deprived. I create meals with foods that I love. And I don't treat weekends much differently.
I hadn't done Weight Watchers or counted calories or any other method of weight loss except for NoS for a good many years, therefore my portion eye was extremely skewed and misguided! :roll: So this approach was very helpful for me, although it might not be the way to go for others.
Good luck to you - hope you have the same results!

Mimi :D
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:34 am

thanks - I'll keep you posted!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:28 am

After months and months of half-pound and one pound weekly losses (and sometimes an inexplicable gain), I am finally just three pounds from my goal...and .3 away from a healthy BMI.
Slow and steady has been my mantra...I get nervous thinking about how to keep it off. I have devised a plan and am ready to put it into place in a few weeks and then we'll see what happens.
In the meantime, I am so enjoying wearing things that I haven't been able to wear in a long time and feeling comfortable with what I see instead of constantly berating myself whenever I pass by a mirror. I think the best feeling is that there are no longer rolls lining my sides, hanging out over the top of my jeans and slacks.
Still feeling under the weather and started school with no voice...didn't get much better Thursday or Friday. Will take it easy this weekend and hope to be feeling more like myself by Monday.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:34 pm

Saturday, Sept. 22 - Fall is here and I love everything pumpkin! Pumpkin waffles (Eggos seasonal), pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin fluff, Pumpkin Spice coffee creamer, pumpkin spice coffee, and just mixing it into my cottage cheese (I know, sounds awful!). I mean it when I say I love everything pumpkin! Fall is my most favorite season of the year.

I can't believe that I haven't checked in since Aug. 25! I thought I had...I guess I meant to, but it didn't happen. School has been keeping me hopping.

This morning I weighed and I am under my goal by .7 of a pound! (I'm sure having my first colonoscopy screening yesterday helped out there. I was scared to death and still can't believe that I went through with it, but I did. Got a clean bill of health, no problems - I'm so blessed.)

I am finally in a healthy "normal" BMI range and no longer considered overweight.

From the start of my NoS journey until today I have lost 40.7 pounds. PTL!

Now to maintain it. This time I know I will (and it's been a lo-o-o-ong time since I've lost a significan amount of weight - and I never weighed as much as I did when I started). I know I can do it.

Happy Fall ya'll!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:33 am

That's brilliant, congratulations on reaching your goal Mimi!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:11 am

Thank you so much milliem! It really wasn't that hard - just a matter of establishing the habits, getting a handle on S days, getting my thoughts under control, and keeping at it...day after day. One of my main mantras was, "No choice!" Another one I resorted to frequently was, "Hunger is NOT an emergency!" (Something I learned from going through The Beck Diet Solution.)

My next phase of maintenance will be the challenge - I've never known how to do that and never successfully kept any lost weight off. But now I have a plan in place to follow and I feel optimistic! I won't have time this week - busy every evening with something - but this weekend I will go to myfitnesspal once again, plug in my present weight, and tell the program that I want to maintain that weight. It will then tell me how many calories I may eat daily in order to do that. I will become a calorie accountant for a few weeks, but it will be a good experience, and not hard to do with that program, and will give me an idea once again of what my three plates will need to look like for maintenance. I don't think they will look much different, actually, because my weight loss slowed to almost a halt the closer I got to my goal. I have a feeling I am eating pretty much where I need to be for maintaining right now. I will not change my S day habits at all. It is working this way, allowing me a few treats, but basically keeping weekends looking like weekdays. We'll see what happens!
Thank you again!

Mimi
:D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:59 pm

Turns out I had some extra time because it's raining and my host asked if he could run a few errands, so here I am.

You must know I'm ecstatic that you feel just inside your "normal" BMI range is your goal, as I vowed that that would have to be enough for me. I maintain at mine rather easily even without exercise. I think the hardest thing to accept is that the three plates of food that get us there is actually the amount that we feel the best at physically AND emotionally. This took me years! And it's still getting polished. So, for instance, last ngiht I went out for Chinese food and ate what I know from experience I need to eat so that I'm not hungry two hours later, which is a little more full than usual. I had considered getting a dessert because I'll be alone on my birthday, etc. But I realized I had no real desire to eat a sweet. I was not missing out or deprived. No sweet was going to make anything better. In fact, it would have made me too full, and I did not wish I had eaten less of anything to accommodate the room I would have needed for physical comfort. I really really preferred the foods I DID eat. This was an experience, not a thought I was using to justify myself (those these are very useful, as we've both learned from Beck). I believe I'll have to keep acknowledging that experience consistently for about 6 months for it to get solid, just as I used to acknowledge that my evening meal was plenty and that the urges to eat more at night were just phantom hunger.

Just as an experiment, when you determine what your plates need to look like, see if you can imagine the comparison to the amount of dense foods you can eat (solid starch, fat, protein, not the freggies) and your fist. I find that 1.5-2 fists in volume is about my right amount for nice satiety. I fill the rest of the plate with freggies. Although lately, I've had some one-fist meals that were fine, too. I don't want to get microscopic about it. Too much like the body conscious bodybuilders, in my mind. But I shouldn't be trashing anyone else on your thread. Just being glad for your present "during."

This is what it must be like to be a naturally slim person. Some of them are sweet freaks and some of them are not. But many are content with three meals and little snacking just by preference. It's not a diet. It's just real life!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:13 pm

mimi wrote:I am finally in a healthy "normal" BMI range and no longer considered overweight.

From the start of my NoS journey until today I have lost 40.7 pounds. PTL!
Congratulations! And you were going to just sneak that by us?
Announce it girl! Woohoo!!!

MIMI GOT TO HER GOAL WEIGHT AND LOST OVER 40!!! GO MIMI!!!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:00 pm

Congratulations, Mimi!!! That is wonderful news - good for you! :D
Thanks for sharing your journey and what you have learned - you are a great inspiration!

Hopefully by continuing the sensible way you've done the losing part, you will be able to successfully navigate maintenance too. I'll be rooting for you!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:01 am

Thank you Renee and Amy! I am so thrilled with my weight loss accomplishment, but I've never been one to call undo attention to myself. I've struggled for the past 5 years trying to get a handle on my habits and NoS, so I'm not exactly a poster child for it...I've probably had a dozen or even more tries at it before it "stuck." But I finally did it and that's what matters! I'm really not doing anything different now to maintain - meals look the same, exercise routines the same, weekend S days the same. Hopefully my weight will remain the same.
The great thrill for me now is shopping for new clothes - and I've had to do some of that. Most of my tops are still okay, and dresses, but many skirts and all pants had to be replaced. I didn't realize what a difference 40 pounds could make until I tried on clothes. I almost cried two weeks ago when my daughter and I went shopping and I could effortlessly slip into pants two sizes smaller than what I had been wearing. They weren't tight and there were no rolls spilling out over the top - that's an incredible feeling. It's still hard to believe.
My message to anyone who is struggling is to never give up. Keep at it - make up your mind that you're going to do it, and just do it...you are the only one standing in your way.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:28 am

Thanks Mimi, I needed to hear this message about not giving up today! Good for you on the new clothes - what a wonderful feeling that must be...

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:39 pm

mimi wrote: My message to anyone who is struggling is to never give up. Keep at it - make up your mind that you're going to do it, and just do it...you are the only one standing in your way.
Love that!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:08 pm

Yup, thanks Mimi! :) :)
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Hey, how did I miss this?

WAY TO GO !!!!

I can only imagine how great you feel. I know it is all in my mind but when I lose five pounds I suddenly feel more free, less heavy, more at ease, more confident. :roll:

Very, very proud of you.
Berry

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:12 am

Hi Berry! Thank you for your kind words...I feel really, really, good these days - about how I look and feel. I am maintaining very nicely and effortlessly so far, and hope that it continues to go this way.
It was nice to hear from you!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:19 am

Congratulations! I am sure you will handle maintenance well having lost it the right way in the first place!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:00 am

mimi wrote:The great thrill for me now is shopping for new clothes - and I've had to do some of that. Most of my tops are still okay, and dresses, but many skirts and all pants had to be replaced. I didn't realize what a difference 40 pounds could make until I tried on clothes. I almost cried two weeks ago when my daughter and I went shopping and I could effortlessly slip into pants two sizes smaller than what I had been wearing. They weren't tight and there were no rolls spilling out over the top - that's an incredible feeling. It's still hard to believe.
My message to anyone who is struggling is to never give up. Keep at it - make up your mind that you're going to do it, and just do it...you are the only one standing in your way.
WOW!! Congrats! I'm so happy for you! You are very inspiring. :)

Just popping in to say hello and that I'm baaaack. Just can't seem to leave this place. :)

Keep up the great work!!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:32 am

Amazing! Well done!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Maintaining...holding steady...feeling good these days! My body knows the perfect weight for me, and it just naturally stopped shedding pounds two pounds under my goal - and that's just fine. I'm happy!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 pm

GREAT!!! :) :)

That's what I'm hoping my body will do, too mimi!

I've noticed my weight loss is slowing down latterly but still consistently losing. I haven't changed up my eating patterns and don't intend to. It will be interesting to see where it 'pans' out! :) Great Job, hon!!! :)
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:22 pm

Wow! It's been a while since I've posted...I want to take this opportunity to wish everyone a belated Merry Christmas and now a Happy New Year!

Reflecting on 2012...it was a good year for me in terms of coming to terms with my beliefs about eating, exercising, and weight loss.

These were the beliefs I faced, finally accepted, and put to rest:

1. There is no magic way to eat whatever I want whenever I want it and expect to lose weight.

2. Eating out-of-control on weekends and S-days will not produce or contribute positively to any kind of weight loss.

3. Daily exercise is a necessary component of a healthy lifestyle.

4. Hunger is not an emergency.

5. I had been eating more than my body required and continued trying to fool myself that I wasn't. This was a big one for me.

By finally acknowledging the above beliefs, I was able to lose 46 pounds. I am 6 pounds below a normal BMI range for me and maintaining that weight.
I don't limit what I eat, but the size of the portion, and the frequency. Three meals. Period. My weekends look the same as my weekdays, with the exception of a few well-planned treats and snacks.
Oh, and I exercise every day at least 30 minutes. Right now, since it's cold outside, I jog in place on a rebounder while I listen to Pandora radio. Love it!

I wish everyone well and continued success in 2013. I really do. If I can do this, you can too. I've said it before, but it's worth repeating because it is the heart of the issue. You have to realize and acknowledge that you are the only one standing in your way of accomplishing your weight loss dreams.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:20 am

I don't know if you meant that you realized you were eating more than you needed even when you were technically sticking to Vanilla, but if so, I applaud you. I know I am working with this now and once again, trying to wrap my mind around consistent exercise. I'm inspired! Thanks for catching us up.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:25 am

oolala53 wrote:I don't know if you meant that you realized you were eating more than you needed even when you were technically sticking to Vanilla, but if so, I applaud you. I know I am working with this now and once again, trying to wrap my mind around consistent exercise. I'm inspired! Thanks for catching us up.
Hey oolala! Great to "see" you!
Yes, actually I meant that...even though I followed vanilla NoS, I wasn't losing because my portions were simply much too large for my needs - even though they fit on one plate. I was also undoing my N-day work on S-days by having too many snacks and treats. First I had to determine what the caloric intake should be for a woman of my size, age, and activity level to lose weight (remember I consulted with myfitnesspal). Once that was determined, I was shocked to see what portions of some foods looked like compared to what I had been dishing up. I also began adding more fruits and veggies to my plates. Then I had to acknowledge that Reinhard's original premise for NoS was to indulge "sometimes" on S-days.
Once all this was in place, then I began losing and continued to lose as I became attuned to how much fuel my body needed daily combined with the exercise I began doing regularly.
So, the bottom line was that even following vanilla NoS, I was still eating too much to invite ongoing weight loss.
Congratulations on your recent work and subsequent weight loss. It's an ongoing thing, isn't it?! I'm still learning - every day!
Best wishes as you continue on,

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:43 pm

I'm curious to know how the new portions feel when you eat them and whether beforehand you were experiencing real hunger for your meals on N days. I cannot bring myself to look at calorie issues. I know that for most of the time on No S when I eat so that I'm just comfortably full after a meal and eat little enough that I am hungry for the next meal, I am probably eating about 1500 calories give or take a few hundred calories a day. (I'm 5'6".) And I've lost on that. What's ironic is that if someone had told me a few years ago that I needed to stick to a 1500-calorie a day limit, it would have given me the willies. It would have sounded like too little food. Nowadays, even what I eat is starting to feel like too much, as I don't get as hungry as I used to, but I almost don't want to know that I would consistently be eating much less than that because it sounds like- a diet!

I guess what I'm asking is now that you are eating different portions, when you look back, do you realize that you were not paying attention at all to your hunger and satiety? and if you had been, might you have eaten less without the calorie counting? I am willing to eat less; I just can't face eating less because I am trying to keep to a calorie limit. I know others reach a point at which that doesn't seem like a sacrifice and in fact makes them feel like the calorie counting takes care of worrying about whether they're eating the right amount, but for me, I get such a sense of anxiety thinking about it! I don't even like thinking that I am "supposed" to weigh less. I'm just willing to weigh less if my body takes me there if I determine that it's going to take a lot less to start feeling more hunger again more often. Last year around this time, when I was on vacation and didn't have much I had to accomplish, I actually once went without eating for 36 hours because I did not feel one bit hungry. However, I think with my binge past, that is playing on the edge a bit. This year, I'm hoping to just get more in touch with how to eat little enough so that I still get hungry a few times a day. I may also have to accept that in order not to eat really tiny meals, I may end up eating only two a day.

I hope it's okay if I leave all this here (feels like I'm hijacking), though I am going to copy it to my check-in thread, too.

Boy, if I'm not binging on food, I'm binging on talking about it...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:27 pm

Happy New Year all!

Very interesting and thought provoking questions oolala...I will answer on your thread so you will have them.

butterfly1000

Post by butterfly1000 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Congratulations Mimi! It's encouraging to see successes.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi Mimi! Really enjoyed reading your list of reflections on 2012. You should be so proud of your accomplishments! You not only lost 46 lbs. (wow!), but it sounds as though you have really come to terms with the whole relationship with food and exercise. And your S Days are sane as well - huge! You've reached the finish line we all have our sights on - way to go!

I wish you continued success in 2013. You are a great role model for us here at the No S boards!

:)

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Sunday, March 17, 2013

It's been two months since I last checked in, but thought I'd do so this afternoon. It's a rainy/snowy Sunday afternoon in the Shenandoah Valley - where's our spring weather?! In two weeks it will be Easter!
I am maintaining my 46 pound weight loss. I have settled at a weight that is 6 pounds beneath my initial goal for myself and apparently my body likes it here (I haven't lost anything since before Christmas). As a matter of fact, I like it here too. I feel good about myself and how I look. I enjoy wearing clothes now and they fit well. The ones that didn't are gone!
My eating habits haven't changed, and my exercise habits haven't either. Although, I have taken up yoga now too. I attend a class on Thursday afternoons for an hour and then I do some short 20-minute routines at home some mornings. I am finding that I really enjoy it. I still do two hours of Zumba each week and on the days when I don't, I run in place on a mini rebounder for 30 minutes. Exercise is crucial to losing and maintaining weight and keeping a healthy body and mind.
Even with my weight loss and exercise, my cholesterol only dropped from 248 to 233 when I had it checked before the holidays. All numbers were within normal boundries except for the "lousy" cholesterol (LDL) so my doctor put me on the generic of Lipitor before Christmas. She wanted me to take it for 3 months and then return for more bloodwork. So tomorrow is the day I return. Hopefully it has dropped into a more acceptable range...we'll see.
So that's a short update. Hope everyone is doing well.
Mimi
:D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Cheers to your maintenance and good luck with the check up. You deserve good news.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 am

Hi Mimi!
It's great to hear that you are doing so well and feeling so well! Thanks for sharing because it helps a lot to know the details of how you managed to get where you are - the place a lot of us here are striving to get to.
I hope you get some good news on the cholesterol!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:16 pm

Wow, doesn't seem possible that I haven't posted in so long! I have a new position at school this year (after 21 years teaching in 7th grade) and it has kept me busy! I thought I'd check in at the site and see what's going on while I have a few spare minutes.
I am so pleased to report that I am maintaining my weight loss after almost a year and a half. It hasn't always been easy, but not too hard either. I know what I can eat and how much. And I eat pretty much the same foods, occasionally trying new recipes here and there. Lots of veggies and not much meat - mostly chicken and fish. I know I must get plenty of exercise each week. I joined a new Zumba class and do three hour long classes. I also walk outdoors, if possible, or exercise indoors for 2 additional 30 minute sessions. Exercise is key to maintaining, I believe. I have gone up a few pounds (no more than 4) but immediately cut back and take them off. That's the other key that I was never quite able to grasp in the past. As soon as you notice a gain - get busy and get it off! And stay active. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.
I enjoy wearing my clothes now and feel good in them. I am keeping my cholesterol at around 160 with diet and medication, staying at a healthy BMI, and enjoying life. I don't cringe at the doctor's office any more when I have to step on the scale and she is very pleased with what I've done.
Bottom line...NoS works if you work with it.
You. Can. Do. This. Too!

One of the "Old Timers"

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Awesome update! Thanks so much for sharing.
So you still follow NoS? Do you use any mods or is it straight vanilla?
Thanks again for taking the time to update.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:57 pm

Yes, automatedeating, I still follow good 'ol vanilla NoS 99% of the time. Occasionally, here and there, I might eat a small dessert during the week - but no snacking. I do drink coffee between meals with a flavored creamer mid-morning and maybe in the late afternoon. I found that mods of any kind always got me into trouble. Vanilla works. My weekends look the same as my weekdays except for some dessert and maybe popcorn in the evening while watching a movie at home. We usually go out for an ice cream cone on Sunday afternoon - my husband's treat for me :D
And that's how it goes! Hope that helps and answers what you needed.
Best wishes,

P.S. Congratulations on your 10-lb loss! Awesome!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:02 am

Mimi, this is awesome! First of, you look stunning and happy, which is lovely to see. Second, I think your post is testimonial worthy! Third, delighted to hear of a long-term NoSer who sticks to vanilla with no mods.

You rock! Thanks for inspiring us to stick to it.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:00 am

Thank you so much for the kind words, eschano! I am happy. It's amazing how living with food, eating, and weight issues involves so much time and effort. Once all of that is gone there's freedom to do so much more. NoS started out for me to be just another diet - another quirky way to lose weight, and ended up being a life changer and the healing force in my relationship with food and eating.
It's got to be vanilla for me - I've tried it every other conceivable way and modification of it and that's what works for me.
I really do need to work on a testimony for the testimonial thread. I've just never been one to want to toot my own horn publicly, but maybe it would be helpful for others who are struggling like I was.
Thanks again!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:26 am

It would definitely be helpful to others! What you said about the other benefits of NoS resonates with me deeply. I feel that is the best part of NoS.

When I have a low day I always look at the testimonial pages to see that it can be done and from all you're saying: it can be done brilliantly :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:06 am

I hope it's okay that I cut and pasted parts of your recent posts on the Facebook group page. The group is so new that there a not many longtimers there.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:35 am

It's absolutely 100% okay, Oolala! I don't use Facebook myself (nothing against it, just that living and teaching in a small community could be awkward) so I can't access the page. I'm glad you took it upon yourself to do that - I'm all for helping as many people as possible!
Continuing to maintain and enjoying food and exercise!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:50 pm

Mimi, Mimi, Mimi - so happy to "see" you.

I left you a note on my thread but also wanted to pop in here and tell you how much I enjoyed your words and your beautiful picture. Thanks for sharing both.

(I don't do Facebook either).
Berry

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:19 pm

Rainy, dreary day again in the Shenandoah Valley, although everything is bright green, budding, and/or blooming because of it! I hope we don't get the torrential rains they're calling for today - could be flooding problems.
A new fitness studio opened this past weekend in our little community and it is awesome! All kinds of great fitness classes being offered. I already do Zumba, but now have tried TurboKick for additional cardio (and believe me, it is a workout) and Barre, for toning and strengthening lower body. My husband laughed as I was heading out last night and asked if they had cots for members! :roll: I really want to try the kettlebell class too...maybe next week.
Still maintaining my weight without a lot of effort or thought...I just do it. Three meals a day. Period. Weekends - three meals plus some awesome kind of dessert or candy, evening popcorn for a weekend movie (at home!) and usually ice cream out somewhere on Sunday. Life is good!
Take care all,

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:33 pm

I hear so many people saying they are having fun with kettlebells! Walkerlori is really into them, and even goes up levels and stuff like that.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:01 pm

Oh, that gym sounds awesome! I wish I could make my classes in time.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:46 pm

It is! They are offering Yoga, Piyo, flex/strength, TurboKick, Kettlebell, Zumba, Zumba low impact, Zumba toning, stretch, Spin, and Barre at different times 6 days a week. The instructors are all incredible. It makes it so much easier to commit to exercising if you find something you like to do and people you like to do it with! The members in the classes have been awesome too - so much fun! And 5 minutes from my house makes it even better.
Today is my hubby's birthday and so I will be having an "S event" this evening - a piece of birthday cake! I didn't bake one because neither one of us wants to have it hanging around for days, so I will stop at the store on the way home and buy two individual pieces of cake - or cupcakes - depending on what they have.
I do indulge in S events during the week - if they're worthy - and I neglected to say that earlier. Not often or on a regular basis, but when occasions arise, I take part and enjoy whatever it is. That's part of life. Special occasions don't always fall on weekends - they almost never do, in fact!
What I have finally learned - and it's taken me a lo-o-ong time - is that you won't lose weight or maintain a weight loss if you eat too much...S days included. No brainer. You have to be honest and look at what (and when) you're eating. But be sure to include foods that you love - make sure that some of them are included every day. Be as healthy as you can - but be happy too, and for so many of us that means eating chips with our lunch or lasagna for supper!! Maybe tomorrow's lunch will be a plate of cottage cheese and fruits & veggies but something better later for supper. Whoa, didn't mean to get off on such a rabbit trail!

Diligence

Post by Diligence » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:10 pm

Mimi, I've read through your journey here, and I admire your perseverance. I also wanted to wave hello as one who loves the Shenandoah Valley. I'd sure like to live there. We drive there semi-regularly for our son who's at school in Lexington. Such a beautiful drive on 81--and so much more beauty off the highway.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 01, 2014 9:08 am

Hi Mimi,

Thanks for sharing your mod with your during the week S events. I am thinking of incorporating something like that.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu May 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Waving back at you Diligence! Yes, we're blessed to live in this part of the country - it is beautiful. The drive to the military institute in Lexington is scenic as well. Thanks for your kind words too. It just goes to show that if you want something bad enough and stick with it long enough, it will happen!

S-events work for me eschano, but others have tried to incorporate them and weren't successful. And keep in mind that an S-event is just that...an event...not an open invitation to eat until the next day. It could be a special snack or dessert - and just one small serving. Nothing else changes - vanilla NoS goes on!

I ate one plate at supper last night and had a piece of birthday cake with my husband. Nothing the rest of the night! S-event pure and simple. April is our big birthday month (five!) so I don't anticipate any more S-events for awhile!

Beautiful sunny day today - rains gone. Planning on doing an hour of Zumba class this evening - can't wait!

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri May 02, 2014 10:13 am

Hi Mimi, I am sure I have already read the answer for this somewhere in your blog before but just to clarify:

Do you still take S days as well (as having an S event on Saturday and one on Sunday) or just random but limited S events?

Thank you for your caution. I am a bit nervous about it so I'm not sure whether to incorporate it yet. I figure that when I'm ready, I'll know.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri May 02, 2014 10:29 am

Ah, Mimi,

I just saw that you already pre-empted me and replied on my thread. Thank you so much! This makes complete sense now. I will strive to have one or two S events per S day and when I can do that then it will be time to relax to another S event in the week :) Thanks for bringing clarity for what I want to do to me.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 02, 2014 5:19 pm

That sounds like a good plan to follow...but I wouldn't get too strict on S days because that could lead to the old "diet head" rearing up and rebelling.
To make sure we're on the same page (I would feel terrible misleading anyone!)...yes, I do still take my S days! Every weekend - and look very much forward to them. In the beginning they were somewhat over the top, but eventually they quieted down - as you probably already know is the trend for many, but not all, NoSers here on the boards. It seems like it often happens with folks who tend to indulge in sweets - and that's me, perfect description. (I've never found anything yet that was too sweet for me :roll:) But for me, and many others, my S days eventually evened out by only having a few sweets or snacks per S day. (I was never one for seconds on my plate.)
Once I learned how much could be on my plate to allow me to lose weight on a continuing basis, and I eventually reached my goal, I knew that I needed to adjust my intake to maintain my weight loss, but not gain. I knew I could never go back to my "old ways and relationship with food." And so, adding S-events when they pop up, or at my choice (for no apparent reason other than I want one) has been the solution for me.
And it's funny, my body decided when to stop losing - not me. I guess I got to the point where my caloric bodily needs met up with my caloric intake. A few extra desserts here and there, with pretty tame S days, haven't seemed to upset that. And of course I keep up regular exercise.
Hope this further explanation helps!
Have a great weekend!

mimi

Has it been a year???

Post by mimi » Tue May 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Well, I guess it has been over a year since I've checked in and actually posted! I do check the boards periodically just to see how folks are doing...lots of new folks posting too! That's good to see.
So-o-o-o...how have I been doing? I am still following NoS and exercising. I am more faithful with my exercising, however. I have been eating more than I need in order to maintain my weight, evidently, because it has crept up 10 pounds. I have also had multiple red days lately - end-of-the-school-year-stress eating. Regardless, this is unacceptable, so I am going to begin checking in daily - or at least several times a week until the extra poundage is gone. It's not as noticeable as it could be because of exercise, but it shows on the scale. I haven't been as strict about weekly weigh-ins as I was either, and that allows weight to creep up without noticing it.
Present goals will be to be mindful about how much is on my plate at meal times and conducting a weigh-in every Saturday morning. No S events for me for the time being either...I know I can get things back into place!
Hope everyone has a great week! It's a short one anyway!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue May 26, 2015 6:58 pm

Hi mimi- It's nice to see you around here again. Good for you, keeping up the exercise. I'm sure you'll be well on your way to losing those 10# soon, by getting back into good, solid, moderate habits.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed May 27, 2015 9:20 am

Hi Mimi, no doubt you'll be soon back on track having read some of your posts! It's good to know though that even alumnis like you are having tougher times sometimes and then just get on with it. Your posts are always an inspiration
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed May 27, 2015 2:58 pm

Hi osoniye and eschano! Thanks for the kind and encouraging words! I wouldn't worry about what the scale says so much except that this added weight throws me into an unhealthy BMI range...and I am not being as moderate as I should be. I don't want to appear as focused on the scale or the number on the scale as I am about my overall health and well-being. NoS is so much a lifestyle for me now that I know I can reign in my appetite. It's okay to be a little bit hungry between meals - in fact, I prefer it that way. So, yes, eschano, even veteran NoSers fall into bad times- maybe not all of them, but definitely some of us!! I don't really want to fall back on calorie counting for even a short period of time because at this point I really know what my plates should look like to lose/maintain my healthiest weight.
Yesterday was an awesome day! I ate moderately at all three meals and attended a Zumba class for an hour last evening. I usually try to do 3 Zumba classes and 3 yoga classes each week. This morning was my earliest morning (6:30 a.m. before school - other two begin at 7) class. It's a great way to begin the day!
Six more days of school after today! Woo-hoo!
Hope everyone has a great day!

P.S. I forgot to update on the best thing that happened this past year! Our youngest son's first child, Noelle Mae, was born on November 25. She was supposed to be a December baby, but it didn't work out that way. Anyway, she's now 6 months old and the most precious, little beautiful baby ever!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 29, 2015 1:42 am

Another green day today !Also had a fun Zumba class this evening...not too many people there due to so much going on at the area schools and with Little League games and all, but it was still a lot of fun.
Here is a picture of me with our newest little granddaughter on Mother's Day after my son took us out to eat. She is the sweetest little thing - and so-o-o-o happy!
I'm hoping that checking in here daily will help me to stay on track. So far it's working! The habits are there, they just need cleaning up...mostly for me to pay better attention!
Onward to Friday! Five more days of school! Can I hear a whoop whoop?!
Mimi

Image :D

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri May 29, 2015 4:52 am

Hi Mimi- Thanks for sharing the photo of 2 beautiful ladies!!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri May 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Thank you Sonya! She is such a delight - all my grandchildren are. So glad to read that your end-of-the-year art show was such a success for you and you were able to eat and enjoy yourself!
On another note, there were all kinds of donuts here waiting this morning at my school for the staff as celebration for finishing up testing and the school year next Thursday. Ugh! They looked so tempting, but I resisted and instead, entered a tally on my phone for making a good choice! I saw the idea on Zippadee's thread and decided it might be just what I need to help me tighten up my habits. I put it on my phone yesterday and so far, I'm up to 4 good choices! It is definitely boosting my confidence and helping to be more mindful of what I'm doing!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:23 am

It's also nice to remember that you've probably never been sorry you passed up a donut. :lol:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:37 am

It's also nice to remember that you've probably never been sorry you passed up a donut.
Ha! Yes, quite right you are Oolala! I don't ever recall being sorry that I passed up a donut! And proud to say that I made it through all those donuts. Good to "see" you again!
As for the rest of the weekend...Saturday and Sunday were S days with ice cream both days - otherwise no different from weekdays. Today there was all kinds of free food at school left over from our 8th grade dance Friday night. Fruit and veggie trays, chicken salad sandwiches, cookies, cupcakes, cheese trays, bags of chips - all catered stuff, no junk! Ugh! I got some fruit and chips to eat as part of my lunch and got out of there. It felt really good to add a tally for making another good choice.
Yoga class was good this morning, but that's it for exercise today. I was going to walk this evening, but it's pouring out...guess not!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 am

Oh that was a good reminder - never having been sorry for passing up. Plus, I like the good decision idea Mimi!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:33 pm

The tally app that I'm using is called Tally Counters (Thomas Tsopanakis). I have an iPhone, but maybe it's available for Android users also. Anyway, the reason I like it so much is because you can keep multiple named counters. Right now I have two: Credit for making good choices and Stopping a negative thought.
Anyway, I'm grateful to have seen the idea on ZippaDee's check-in thread because it has been really helpful for me!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:50 pm

Such a busy week this past week, but school is finished for another year. Had a huge fail on Friday...much too emotional for me - too many good-byes and I don't handle them well at all. I have never been able to handle good-byes.
We had 9 people leaving this year - some retiring and others moving on to different careers or parts of the country. One of them leaving - and I had to speak for her - was our librarian and also my BFF. I know we'll continue to see each other outside of school, but it won't be the same. Sigh...things change and I'll have to adapt.
Anyway, I had a great day yesterday even though it was an S day. I was back on track food-wise and only had a cup of ice cream from Burger King and some popcorn last night...just 3 meals otherwise.
Off to my grandson's 6th birthday party this afternoon. Should be lots of fun!
Happy weekend everyone!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:22 pm

I hope you had a great birthday! I find saying goodbye hard too.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:07 am

I finished a school year, too. We had one official retiree and one long-time teacher leaving to do something else for the district. The retiree is someone I've eaten lunch with for a couple of years, and most of the time, it's been just the two of us. I'm rubbed so raw so often that I don't always mix well with more people anymore, sad to say. Not sure what I'll do next year, which I hope to be my last. Honestly, I'm thinking more and more I'd like to just slip out when it's my time. I rarely see any colleagues outside of school anymore.

Also did some serious overeating this weekend. No good reason. Just old habits kicking in again.

Are you on the June Challenge? I haven't joined. Since people just update their posts, and no new alerts come, I end up forgetting about it. I still have a flip phone! I guess I should break down and get a smart phone and some kind of reminder app.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:38 am

Not sure what I'll do next year, which I hope to be my last. Honestly, I'm thinking more and more I'd like to just slip out when it's my time. I rarely see any colleagues outside of school anymore.
I hear ya, Oolala! I've already thought about how I will handle my own retirement. I will be a blubbering mess, I'm afraid. I'm thinking I will teach two more years and that will be it for me! I'm not sure that I will be satisfied at home 24/7 though, so I might need to find something to do - not full time, but part time. I haven't thought it completely through yet. I figure I have some time! My husband has had his own business our entire marriage, and even though he's 5 years older than me, he still works part time...but he's always had ants in his pants - he can't sit still for long.
Also did some serious overeating this weekend. No good reason. Just old habits kicking in again.
Ugh! Old habits! I so detest them...perhaps you were subconsciously mourning the loss of your long-time lunch friend without realizing it. I hope you were able to get back on track again today.
Are you on the June Challenge? I haven't joined. Since people just update their posts, and no new alerts come, I end up forgetting about it.
No, I typically don't join the challenges - for the same reason as you pointed out! You know, even with all the technology, smartphones and apps, I still prefer to mark on my paper calendar that hangs on the refrigerator with colored Sharpies - green, yellow, and red. There's just something about that visual right in front of me every time I pass through the kitchen. It's there. It works. At the end of the day, I love making those green X's.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by, old friend. Talk to you soon again!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:28 pm

I was just saying yesterday I"ll probably work til I"m 70. Assuming I can, that is. They may not want to keep me around :)
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:37 pm

I honestly feel like I still want to work at SOMETHING; I just don't know what it is. I find myself browsing career materials the way I did before I just gave in and got my credential. I'm just pretty sure I DON'T want to teach public school anymore. I'm SICK of trying to solve those problems. Actually, I'm sick of FAILING to solve the problems. I am not one to feel rewarded in such a situation by small improvements. But I may be changing.

Even so, I want to think about new problems. I used to think I could work up something for people wanting to change their eating habits, but I've been failing at it so much this past year, I've had to regroup. I actually started a meetup but never have held one meeting!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:06 pm

I moved to a private school a few years ago. I don't think teaching is ever particularly easy, but it's a better situation than my previous school.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks, dandelion. I was surprised to find out a couple of years ago that a man I know who works at a private school gets paid quite well. Of course, the pension plan is not as generous, but he deals with fewer kids. Still, I felt it was too late in my career to make the change, especially because I just don't want to deal with the compulsory nature of school, if I can help it. I got told at a career testing institute that I should deal with people who come to me of their own volition for my expertise. I ignored the advice and lived to tell the tale. I think they were right about my inclination; it wasn't their fault that I just couldn't decide on what to become expert enough in to follow through!

Hey, mimi, how's summer?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:36 pm

Hey, mimi, how's summer?
Oh my, Oolala! Summer is almost gone - for me at least! It has been a good one, but a bittersweet one at the same time.
I've spent lots of time with my grandchildren, in fact, we just got back from a 3-day camping trip with 5 of them! Whew! They had a blast, but Mimi returned exhausted! After a good night's sleep, however, I'm good to go again! I even did an hour's worth of yoga this morning!
That brings me to the bittersweet part...our fitness studio that opened in the spring of 2014 closed at the end of July. I have been so sad and distraught over that - not so much for the studio itself, but for the friendships and bonds formed with the folks who participated during the last year and several months. You can really form close bonds with people - including instructors - that you work out with on a daily basis! Plus I was accustomed to taking 3 morning yoga classes each week, plus 3 Zumba or Turbokick classes. Now, I'm on my own :cry:
There's supposed to be something else (fitness classes) in the works, but it won't be starting until September (maybe). So in the meantime, I'm continuing with yoga on my own - I can hear my instructor in my head! - and I try to walk every evening.
My eating has been good over the summer - I've enjoyed lots of fruits and veggies and salad. We've recently gone peach picking, raspberry, and blueberry picking. Got plenty to eat and also freeze.
I've lost about 4 pounds of the 10 that I had somehow found again...slowly, but surely they'll come off. I think I do better when I'm at home and relaxed than I do when school is in and the stress starts accumulating.
You are probably back to school already, Oolala, aren't you?
I hope you are well and finding some answers for some of the issues - work and otherwise - that you've been dealing with.

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:41 pm

Are you all teachers?? Because I am one! :)
Start date: 7/21/15, apx 180lbs
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:06 am

So sorry to hear of the end of your studio. And that's a lot of activity to have end. I haven't been able to make myself do much exercise no matter how much I read of its importance. It's rather ironic. I guess I keep thinking something ELSE is going to shake me out of my denial and then I'll do it. Or I don't really believe that it's necessary.

Tomorrow ends our third week back, though the first two days were without kids.

I don't have solutions, though I have been examining some possibilities. They have to do with my side of things, attitudes and beliefs. It is rather sobering. I am going to try going back to counseling, but the psychiatrist is going on vacation and the therapist is on one and coming back next week. Maybe there is a lesson in the timing? It can feel so important to have things figured out THIS SECOND, but of course, it also can't be that important because here we are and life is going on. I'm certainly not bad off enough to stop working. I don't have anything else at this point I'd want to run off and do, so I might as well keep bringing in a paycheck.

I think I might be coming out of a No S slump in the sense that I'm having more green or near green days again, and I'm forgoing some of the semi-binge episodes that had been making a stand on and off again for quite awhile. The thought will occur to go buy X, and the market to get it is RIGHT THERE, and the stuff is cheap, but I've been remembering that there's no way out except to say no. Unfortunately, I don't feel free and happy over being able to these days. Just relieved. And even a little sad that it's not more fun. Treading water and a bit embarrassed that I'm not more grateful but it's the truth. What to do about that is one of the things I'm mulling over. But right this minute things are fine.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:12 pm

Are you all teachers?? Because I am one! Smile
Yes, tacodiscos, we are! Oolala is a high school teacher on the West Coast, and I am a middle school reading specialist in Virginia - both in public school systems. And you?

BTW, Welcome to NoS! I just finished reading your check-in thread and it sounds like you're off to a great start and doing extremely well...good for you! If you could go back and read through my thread, you'd find that I had many, many, many starts, restarts, and do-overs before NoS finally took hold for me!

Glad you're part of the NoS community!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:45 am

So sorry to hear of the end of your studio. And that's a lot of activity to have end. I haven't been able to make myself do much exercise no matter how much I read of its importance. It's rather ironic. I guess I keep thinking something ELSE is going to shake me out of my denial and then I'll do it. Or I don't really believe that it's necessary.
I have always exercised in some way, shape, or form...mostly because I enjoy it. These days, however, I think I exercise more to maintain good health, both mental and physical - soon to be 65 in October! The key for me is to find things I enjoy doing, and then doing them isn't a chore. When our fitness studio first opened, I tried pound class - didn't like it; pilates - didn't like it; piyo - didn't like it; kettlebell - not for me! I knew I enjoyed Zumba, found I liked Turbokick, and fell in love with yoga. So that's what I did. And I supplement that with just plain walking outdoors for the fresh air!! I also believe that if I didn't exercise at all, I would not be able to eat much at all
I don't have solutions, though I have been examining some possibilities. They have to do with my side of things, attitudes and beliefs. It is rather sobering. I am going to try going back to counseling, but the psychiatrist is going on vacation and the therapist is on one and coming back next week. Maybe there is a lesson in the timing? It can feel so important to have things figured out THIS SECOND, but of course, it also can't be that important because here we are and life is going on. I'm certainly not bad off enough to stop working. I don't have anything else at this point I'd want to run off and do, so I might as well keep bringing in a paycheck.
I certainly hope that you can find some peace, Oolala, and certainly work towards solutions through talking with your therapist. Sometimes just voicing things aloud and bouncing them off another person makes them seem less threatening and troublesome. In any event, this is a good move to make, I believe, and I wish you well.
I think I might be coming out of a No S slump in the sense that I'm having more green or near green days again, and I'm forgoing some of the semi-binge episodes that had been making a stand on and off again for quite awhile. The thought will occur to go buy X, and the market to get it is RIGHT THERE, and the stuff is cheap, but I've been remembering that there's no way out except to say no. Unfortunately, I don't feel free and happy over being able to these days. Just relieved. And even a little sad that it's not more fun. Treading water and a bit embarrassed that I'm not more grateful but it's the truth. What to do about that is one of the things I'm mulling over. But right this minute things are fine.
I think it's helpful to remember that NoS is a lifestyle - but not a cure. Those ugly former habits can rear their ugly heads at any time, even if we are seemingly unaware why (but there's always a reason, maybe just not an obvious one at the moment). Been there many times myself. I'm glad to hear that you are coming out of the slump. I know you will get everything figured out...you're very wise and extremely intuitive. You've helped so many folks on this thread with your wisdom - including me!
I wish you well. Take care, my friend! Keep me posted on how things are going.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:16 pm

Arrrrrrgggggg!!! So aggravated with myself! I'm going to start posting regularly until I get my eating back under control! I have been eating just way too much - and not so much about what's on my plate, but in between meals...and my former nemesis - everything sweet. :(
At this time three years ago, I had reached my weight goal as well as my eating goals - habits were firmly in place. I maintained easily for over two years and then the pounds began to sneak back...very slo-o-o-wly and insidiously.
I know there were far too may times when I told myself that is was all right to have this or that. I could make up for it later at the next meal - the next day or whatever. But then that becomes a habit as well. And that adds up to pounds back on.
I have a lot of stress going on right now and that doesn't help. So for now my focus is simply three plates a day. That's it. I'm not worrying about the amount on the plates yet. I want to get the three plates habit back down first. I'll decrease portions later if need be. No snacks. Not even a few grapes popped in between meals. That adds up too if done enough over time.
One meal at a time!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:15 am

Well...haven't been doing too well recently trying to get habits back on track for any mentionable amount of time, but this week I have been doing much better. I posted on oolala's Daily Chat thread about my frustrations and got some very helpful responses from her and gingerpie that totally resonated with me.
I spent some time making a list of all the benefits of following NoS and eating moderately. I put them on my phone so that I can look at them throughout the day whenever I feel the need. I have 13 reasons on that list and that's enough to keep me going!
It's discouraging to know that old habits and neural patterns never really go away, and they lurk under the surface until something triggers their return. I have spent the last 8 years on NoS and finally 3 years ago felt that I had mastered my eating problems by reaching a desirable and maintainable weight. I lost over 40 pounds and maintained them pretty effortlessly until recently. Ugh! Now I have about 15 pounds to rid myself of to reach a healthy BMI once again. With three plates a day I. Can. Do. It.
I have a new resolve and am thankful for the great folks on these boards. Sometimes all we need to hear is the perspective of someone else and just some encouraging words. Really. Thanks guys!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:33 am

I thhink the great thing is that you can start feeling so much better long before you lose the weight. Be sure you have some decent clothes that fit. Don't believe you can't look nice (if that's an issue). You can! And you can FEEL better much sooner.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:54 pm

So...here I am returning to NoS after over 2 years from being away. Updates in a nutshell:

1. I'm still teaching full time.
2. I trained to become a yoga teacher and now teach three classes each week at a local gym...a 6:30 a.m. class, a 4:00 p.m. class, and a 5:00 a.m. class - all on different days, I might add, and I am loving it! Yoga has done much for me physically and mentally.
3. I have slowly and steadily gained weight back and couldn't understand why. Needless to say, that played havoc with me mentally.
4. In September, through my routine bloodwork done every 6 months, it was discovered that my thyroid is underactive. Since then, I have been trying to find the appropriate dosage of medication (which is a pain to take, by the way).
5. At least the weight gain is explained. Until my medication is worked out, I am going to follow NoS to bring my eating habits back to normalcy...they have been really out of whack.
6. And so, here I am, returning to what I know works - for so many things!
Glad to be back...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:46 am

I could have sworn I've read your posts more recently!

Pretty impressive to have done the yoga training and be teaching it.

Must have driven you crazy to be doing yoga and gaining weight.

Can you remind me what kind of teaching you do? Are you later in your career?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi Mimi,

It's good to see you back. Like oolala, I can't believe it's been 2 years already!! Hope all goes well for you today.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:36 pm

oolala53 wrote:I could have sworn I've read your posts more recently!

Pretty impressive to have done the yoga training and be teaching it.

Must have driven you crazy to be doing yoga and gaining weight.

Can you remind me what kind of teaching you do? Are you later in your career?
I know, oolala! Times flies, doesn't it! I'm a middle school reading specialist and this year I'm working with 6th and 8th-grade students. I will most likely work one more year and then retire...we'll see. One reason I trained in yoga (besides loving it) was so that I would have something to do if and when I retire! :lol:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:50 am

Do reading specialists work with regular-sized classes at a time?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:37 am

oolala53 wrote:Do reading specialists work with regular-sized classes at a time?
Well... yes, and no! I co-lab with a 6th-grade regular ed English teacher everyday (20 students) and we do a lot of small group teaching rotations. I also co-lab with an 8th-grade regular ed English teacher every day (23 students) and a second 8th grade English teacher every other day (12 students).
I teach a small 8th-grade developmental writing class every other day (to prepare students for state writing test given in March) where I have 11 students. I finish every day with a half-hour of reading remediation with 14 8th-grade students. Needless to say, I get a lot of steps in every day! :lol:
Hope all is well with you, oolala!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:19 am

I coteach with four teachers in high school. In previous years, we typically had between 35 and 40 students in our classes with up to half of them Spec Ed. (Yes, that's not supposed to happen.) In my opinion, they were nightmares. This year, the classes are a bit smaller, the students are older, and the teachers have them under control. It's kind of a scam that I get paid for it. I have one class of the lower level students of 10 seniors, but it's not a breeze! Anyway, I'm on leave next semester.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23