Scott's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

scottwblack

Scott's Daily Check-In

Post by scottwblack » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:01 pm

Day One: SUCCESS

The hardest part was figuring out what to eat. I'm not much of a cook, so today I relied on frozen dinners for lunch and dinner. They didn't really satisfy my appetite, though, so I'll probably bake a bunch of chicken and have that tonight with a side salad.

As for exercise, I walked a combined 4 miles to and from the grocery store. Also lifted my little 10 lb. barbells for a combined 20 minutes.

I won't know what my weight is until my scale arrives from Amazon, but I'm not sure I want to post that here, anyway. ;-)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:52 pm

You are doing great Scotty!!!
Can I encourage you to take a before photo of yourself and then take one in, say maybe four or six months from now...
I know you will succeed!!!
I just know it!!!!

Great job today!
I'm very happy for you :)
There are plenty of big guys here on NoS...
Don't ever feel ashamed!
You are really amongst friends :)
No one is standing around waiting to judge or condemn you...

Heck, I weigh 206 and I'm a measely 5'2"!!!!
I must have started at around 230 or more....

I think Freakwitch started at around 360 (he's 6'4")
and Spiralstares started at something similar..

And incidentally, they both have done fantastically over the course of the year... I think James dropped about 50 lbs and Spiral the same..
Here's an idea to help you fill up more, with very little caloric impact..
Include fresh fruit and salad every day... Frozen meals like lean cuisine, LOL, are really too scrawny to feel satisfied on.. This is about a maintainable and healthy lifestyle change, not a martyr diet which will eventually lose it's luster when you feel deprived down the road..
Plus frozen meals are just lacking in nutrients (don't get me wrong, I eat them sometimes too, especially Indian ones! Yumm!) and if you have the balanced nutrients you need, you won't feel as hungry...
You don't need to know how to cook, to eat an apple or have a small salad with cucumbers, carrots and some nuts or something! :)
Keep it up!

Good luck!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:24 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Can I encourage you to take a before photo of yourself and then take one in, say maybe four or six months from now...
Oh boy. I don't know. My body image is so crummy right now that it will take a lot of cajoling from my wife to actually upload a pic. I don't even like having my photo taken at all right now. :-)

My wife is always after me to eat more salads. I went through a period a few years ago where I was eating one a day. Guess I should buck up and start doing it again. You're spot on regarding frozen meals. I'm not really sure what I was thinking when I bought them.

Sakira

Post by Sakira » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:49 pm

I know that body image can keep you from doing a lot. If you don't feel comfortable sharing one now, take one for yourself. Then put it away. After a few months have past, take a new one and compare. I bet it will give your "image" a boost! Me, I just took the leap and made a site with my pictures and im going to blog on it. I have to update the links though. Get rid of all those "fad" diets and see if Reinhard will let me link to here.

I am new to this as well. Today is day 6 of full NOS. You don't have to starve on those frozen meals. You should be able to make what you normally eat work for you. Just remove the Eses and add in some fruits/Veggies. If it doesn't fit on one plate, remove some of the non-fruit/veggie foods :lol: From the sounds of it, later on we'll just start making better food choices too.

I am 5'7'' (25 years old) and was 316. Im floating around 309-311. Since testing NOS and starting full force this week. I say floating because I gained some and now its dropping again. I think the gain was water weight. I forgot to drink my water the last few days. Bad, Shelley. Bad!

Good luck! We are in this together!!

*~*Shelley*~*

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:49 am

If you don't feel comfortable sharing one now, take one for yourself. Then put it away. After a few months have past, take a new one and compare.
Yes.. That's what I was trying to say!
For yourself Scott!!!

It can be very empowering to see your progress over the long term!
Peace and Love,
Deb

ps.. Shelly I am looking forward to reading your blog so let us know the address! :)

scottwblack

Re: Scott's Daily Check-In

Post by scottwblack » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:57 pm

Day Two: SUCCESS

Didn't exercise as much as I would have liked, but other than that I did well yesterday. Had my last meal at 4:30pm, so it was a little hard getting through the evening without snacking, but I guess that's something I'll have to get used to. Just have to keep my eyes on the prize.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:31 pm

Why are you making your evening meal at 4:30?
In my reasoning, this seems like a long term problem...
Is it because you would rather not eat at night? If so, also keep in mind that, at least to my understanding of that concept, the idea is not to eat for around 2.5 hours before you actually go to sleep..
Definitely!!! Do keep your eyes on the prize, but I humbly suggest you change your dinner time....
Maybe something more along the lines of 6 or 7 pm...

Incidentally, if you really feel the need for a small healthy fourth meal at 4:30, you could have a virtually plated fruit eaten a little earlier than your main dinner... As long as it's not mindless shoving of random junkfood then you can call it an extra "mini meal"...
I suggest trying that out if you can't make it till later for dinner...
Or the opposite.. Have a good dinner around 5 and then if you are dying of hunger have a fruit for mid evening mini meal...
Good going Scott!

Best wishes,
8) Deb

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:52 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Why are you making your evening meal at 4:30?...Is it because you would rather not eat at night?
Actually, yesterday it was because I was really, really hungry. I guess my body is rebelling. It's so used to being fed nearly all day long.

I fully intend to eat dinner at a later hour from now on, probably around 5 o'clock or so.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:35 pm

Cool. The site is back.

Okay, so yesterday was a technical SUCCESS. I didn't snack or have seconds or any sweets. I did eat half a calzone and some french fries for dinner, though. I feel kinda bad about it, but they were on a single plate and at least I didn't eat the entire calzone and half a pizza like I used to.

Now it's off to Whole Foods Market. It's a beautiful day here in Austin and it will be a wonderful 2 mile walk.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:23 pm

Okay, so yesterday was a technical SUCCESS. I didn't snack or have seconds or any sweets. I did eat half a calzone and some french fries for dinner, though. I feel kinda bad about it, but they were on a single plate and at least I didn't eat the entire calzone and half a pizza like I used to.
Hey Scott!
That sounds like a total success to me!!!
Old diet mentality is just bulls*#t!
There's no need for guilt here about eating normal food...
You have to ditch the old guilt mentality about taboo foods..
Just focus on the three S's and you will lose weight, without losing your mind!!!
Eat calzones every day if you want! :wink:
(Just not chocolate covered ones!)

Good for you!!!
Have a nice weekend :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:28 am

S Day, but I pretty much stayed on the diet. I did have a bunch of grapes as a late afternoon snack, but nothing else. Honestly, I didn't crave anything, which is good. Tomorrow I'll probably go out to dinner with my wife at our favorite neighborhood Mexican restaurant. Queso and margaritas await!

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:03 pm

On this S-Day I learned that I should not partake of food cooked in restaurant frying oil. I'm not sure if my stomach will ever forgive me for eating that chicken fried chicken.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:32 am

Day Four: SUCCESS

Walked a couple of miles along the river with one of my dogs today before it started raining. Ate Puffins, potato leek soup, bread, rice w/ chicken and light butter microwave popcorn.

Tomorrow is the day of reckoning. My scale from Amazon gets here. I know that weight isn't the best measure, but I haven't gotten on a scale since before Hurricane Katrina and I'm curious to see exactly where I stand.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:38 am

Use it as one way to keep track of how you are doing, but not the only way..
Don't be phased by it or let it take away any sense of progress you have developed over the last few days of successes!!!
With that being said, I hope the number gods are kind to thee!
Have a good night Scott!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps.. That walk sounded like a nice way to start your Spring!
Keep it up!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:38 am

Use it as one way to keep track of how you are doing, but not the only way..
Don't be phased by it or let it take away any sense of progress you have developed over the last few days of successes!!!
With that being said, I hope the number gods are kind to thee!
Have a good night Scott!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps.. That walk sounded like a nice way to start your Spring!
Keep it up!!!

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:37 am

Day Five: FAILURE

Was ravenous at 3:30p and had a bowl of rice w/ chicken. Note to self: eat bigger lunches!

ceu

Post by ceu » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:38 pm

yeah bigger lunches seem key with me too.

hey, whatever your weight says, don't worry about it too much. It's a static measure and bound to change in a good way soon. It doesn't account for your daily efforts to change your habits and establish a healthy lifestyle. Go Scott! :)

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:47 pm

Day One (Again): SUCCESS

Ate a bigger lunch and had a much better day.

Still waiting for my scale and my sledge hammer to arrive. Can't wait for the latter, so I can begin Shovelgloving!

EDIT: Got the scale tonight. Wasn't a pretty sight. Will persevere, though.

10ch

Post by 10ch » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:13 am

Hi Scott -

I just wanted to second (or third?) the recommendation to take a before shot. A few years ago, I lost a whole lotta weight and I took pictures along the way (once every few months) and it motivated me in two important ways:

1) I could see that my efforts were paying off in a way that doesn't really compare with any other metric (like pant size or a number on a scale/measuring tape).

2) It turned on my internal competitiveness to see even more changes next time.

Plus, if you end up shovel gloving and "No S" dieting, the number on the scale will not be as significant as the changes you'll see in the shape of your body. So snap away, don't even develop them yet if you don't want to see. I promise you'll be glad you did and you won't ever be able to get that back.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:24 am

I guess I'll do that, even if I just hide the pic somewhere on my computer for a few months.

One of the things that keeps me going is positive visualization. I daydream on a regular basis about what my friends and ex-co-workers will say when they see me sans the excess weight. I know that they will be shocked.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:38 pm

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:28 pm

Friday, Day Three was a SUCCESS

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:39 pm

Day Four: S-Day
Day Five: S-Day. Too much Cheesecake Factory food, but it was so damn good...

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:21 pm

Day Six: SUCCESS (unless, of course, I falter in the late evening hours.)

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:01 am

Day Seven: SUCCESS

My sledgehammer came today so tomorrow it's Shovelgloving time!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:32 am

Woo woo!!!
Great work Scott!
Day Seven and you're in NoS heaven! :wink:

Have fun with Shovelglove!
Take my advice... Don't use Led Zeppelin II for your first session, like I did!
I ended up killing myself!!! LOL....

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:09 pm

Day Eight: FAILURE
I'm not kicking myself for failing yesterday. I am determined that this is going to work and am certain that I will eventually succeed.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:08 am

Day One: SUCCESS

Also had my first real Shovelglove session. Wow, I'm shocked by how much of workout it really was!

Simon

Post by Simon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:55 am

It really IS kind of a shock, eh?

Be careful if you're going to shug again tomorrow. Some ass-hat might come and steal your hammer to replace it with a 50-lb hammer like happened to me! It doesn't even look any heavier... it just is.

Uncanny!!
Simon
"Hickory Hand of the North"

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:56 am

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:55 am

Day Three: S Day, but I didn't do any S-ing. Had a yummy Freebirds burrito, though.

Also:
1) My right arm is mighty sore from just two days of Shovelgloving.
2) I'm down 15 lbs. since starting No S less than 2 weeks ago.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:21 am

2) I'm down 15 lbs. since starting No S less than 2 weeks ago.
Yay Scott!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Alright!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about your arm...
Rest till you feel less sore, and if need be, just do SG once in a while or for a shorter time frame, or less reps..

Again,
Fantastic news!!!!!!!!!

Gee, I sure wish I could say I'd be down 15 lbs in two weeks from now! Well you are really inspiring me dude and I am sooooo stoked for ya!
Enjoy your weekend,
I'm sure you are already :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:51 pm

Day Four: S Day. Had a sandwich, fries and some delicious spinach/artichoke dip at Katz's. Yum.

Down to 278 lbs. Only 100 more to go. ;-)

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:51 am

Day Five: SUCCESS

No more failures say I.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:57 am

Yay Scott!!!

Great work and tude!
Rock on in Austin!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps.. Did you ever see the Austin City Limits?
Wasn't Stevie Ray from there!?
Good music town!

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:36 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:ps.. Did you ever see the Austin City Limits? Wasn't Stevie Ray from there!? Good music town!
Not in person. Yes. Yes!

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:32 pm

Day Six: SUCCESS

I know it's a little early, but I figure if I write it now I won't dare go off tonight.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:35 pm

I actually find that helps me as well, Scott.

If I post my success shortly after I have supper, there ain't no way I'm going to renege on my commitment. Oddly, it also helps when I brush my teeth then too. I just went to all the effort to clean those pearly whites, I'm not going to wreck it all now by chowing down on something I don't need to eat!
Simon

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:41 pm

Simon wrote:Oddly, it also helps when I brush my teeth then too.
Same here. It's amazing how sweet the toothpaste tastes now that I've been on No S for nearly three weeks.

10ch

Post by 10ch » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:00 pm

I sometimes report SUCCESSes right after dinner as a way of discouraging late night snacking, as well. :)

Re: toothpaste -- I've used Tom's of Maine for over a year now, but I still have a Colgate tube at work. So on days when I brush my teeth at work I can really taste the artificial sweeteners.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:35 am

Day Seven: SUCCESS

Had some yummy Brick Oven spinach/artichoke pizza & a Caesar salad for dinner.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:00 pm

S(pecial) Day. My mother's in town and I fell victim to a chocolate sundae.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:06 am

Day Eight: SUCCESS

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:00 pm

Day Nine: SUCCESS

Ate too much over the weekend during my mother's visit. Oh well.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:30 pm

Day Ten: SUCCESS
Day Eleven: FAILURE

I admit it. I've been eating way too much since my mother visited last weekend. I've gotta get back on track before it's too late. I'm not giving up, though, no matter how many times I fail.

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:40 pm

Okay, so this have been a rough couple of weeks thanks to no one other than myself. I need to get back on track quickly. It's not that I've gone off totally. I haven't had ANY sweets, but I have snacked...and snacked...and snacked. Hopefully I can get back on the wagon tomorrow.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:37 pm

That's the most important step, Steve: getting back on that wagon. It's just sooooo easy to see the Clydesdales pulling that wagon off into the distance while you sit in the middle of the road, bemoaning the lack of attention that led to you falling off your seat when that bump came along and knocked you about.

And hey, it's hard to keep snacking when you're jogging to catch up to the wagon in the first place. That's what surprised me most of all when I started this - just how very much I was grazing throughout the day, thinking of the small quantities to justify it to myself. WOW!

Just hang on tight, there are lots of us here in the wagon with you and we're more than willing to grab you by the scruff of the neck (or a proffered hand) to keep you on board.
Simon

scottwblack

Post by scottwblack » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:57 pm

I'm going to take a deep breath and get back on that horse ASAP. No matter how many times I fall off, I'll never give up.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:27 pm

Yay Scott!!!!!

Keep up a good attitude!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb