Clear the Forest

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
hlidskjalf

Clear the Forest

Post by hlidskjalf » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:15 pm

Hello,

Something I like to try on occasion is picking one exercise and performing it alternating sides for the entire 14 minutes. I usually save this for Friday as it gets tough. I've used the Shoveling, Chopping, and Drive the Fence Post in this way. It could be viewed as a very minimalistic scenario even. Clear the Forest, Put up the Austrailian Rabbit Fence, etc. I will say it is very strenuous rotating sides after 20 repititions. This could in theory be tried with other movements as well. But 14 minutes of Flip the Switch (No Name) or Churn the Butter are bit too ambitious for me now.
Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:28 pm

Wow, that does sound strenuous.

It makes sense, historically speaking. Laborers didn't switch off what they were doing every 2 minutes. But it also sounds like it might be easy to overexert and injure yourself (they didn't call it "back breaking labor" for nothing).

Be careful, and keep us posted. I'll have to try this sometime myself, if only for scientific purposes...

Reinhard

hlidskjalf

Post by hlidskjalf » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:55 pm

Just finished up 14 minutes of Chopping. I find this to be the easiest to repeat for so long. I would only advise this on Fridays though. It could be seen as a way to really earn the S-days.
Burn all, burn everything. Fire is bright and fire is clean.