Beginner routine?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Chance

Beginner routine?

Post by Chance » Sat May 24, 2014 3:04 pm

I'd like to get started with SG.
Can anyone suggest a beginner routine and also, suggestion progression hints or tips.

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Mon May 26, 2014 6:05 am

1. Start slow and low:

7xShovel
7xChurn Butter
7xChop Wood
3xFlip Lever
7xDrive Fence Posts
7xHoist Sack
7xTuck Bales
7xStoke Oven
7xThe Fireman
7xChop Tree

Repeat for 5 minutes.

For the next nine day add one minute per day.

When you reached 14 minutes add one to the number of every exercise until you reached 14 in every exercise with the exception of Flip Lever. There you should stop at 7 reps.

After that:
- Try to increase the numbers of reps for each movement.
- Add the movements:
1. Degraded Beast
2. Fertilize the Fields

Try some other movements from:
http://shovelglove.com/movements/

Have Fun!

The slow and low approach is for people who haven't exercise for a very long time (down to never). The low number of repetitions (reps) is mainly to protect the joints from an "overload".

2. Progression tipps:
- Alternate between days you are trying to make more reps per cycle and days you move slower per single rep.
- Mix in some other exercise-forms for 14 minutes (everything goes)

3. Weight progression:
Start with a weight you can make it through the initial 5 minutes with ease. Stay with ist for at least 4-6 month before even thinking about taking higher weights. I started with an 5 kg (11 pounds) hammer and kept it for 12 month.

Weight progression ain't that important for SG, because it's more of an intervall-training.

4. Expectations
One of the great problem with SG is: A lot of people use it with other Everyday Systems especially No S Diet. If you use SG while being on a diet you won't build much muscle mass. But you will also lose a lot less muscle mass trough the diet, which is an great asset, because you will keep losing fat with with a higher rate.

So if you use SG with a diet:
You will lose weight (more fat than muscles), your muscles don't grow a lot but get denser (and you will also get stronger) and may become more visible.

You can get to this look:

If you use SG with a caloric surplus:
You might add muscle mass, but you will also add fat.
I wouldn't recommend SG for serious muscle-building. Not because it doesn't work, but because there are other, more efficient ways.
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

Chance

Thanks German

Post by Chance » Mon May 26, 2014 9:06 pm

Thank you German, this is exactly what I was hoping for. I have a 10lb sledge so I'll start with that. I'll keep you posted on my progress.