Fixing an SG

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Cayenne

Fixing an SG

Post by Cayenne » Fri May 23, 2014 4:25 pm

Hello Shuggers:

I purchased a 12lb sledgehammer several years ago. (Hickory handle.) I've only used it for shugging and, perhaps, IIRC, hitting a tire a few times.

Today I noticed that there is a very slight amount of "play" between the head and the handle. When I pull on the head with my hands, it feels tight and won't budge, but when I hold the handle and shake the head, again, I do feel some movement.

I want to be 1000% positive the head would never come off when I'm performing movements with the hammer.

Because I've never struck a hard object, the handle and head are in excellent condition. Any suggestions on how to get the head on super-tight?

Thank you.

Eddie

Cayenne

Post by Cayenne » Wed May 28, 2014 5:49 pm

In case anyone else has this problem, you may wish to try what I came across. Soak the head of the sledgehammer in a bucket of water. (I did it overnight.) The handle tightened right up.

(I came across a web site where someone said that when the water dries the handle loosens again. I don't know if that's so, i.e.,, if the wood "shrinks" back, but he suggested using used motor oil.)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Huh.. haven't run into this, somewhat surprisingly given the length of time I've been shugging. Though my current long-time hammer has a fiberglass handle and I guess that might account for it.

Glad you found a fix though, and thanks for posting it here! May come in handy for me as well sooner or later.

Reinhard

Crafty

Post by Crafty » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:33 am

There are two solutions. First, just hit the handle on the floor with the head directly above the handle, in an up and down motion. The idea here is momentum: the head has it, and the handle doesn't. This will allow the head to slip, but it will slip farther up the handle (a fraction of an inch). This will tighten it.
This is a mid term solution. The LONG term way to fix it is to add something to the handle where it sticks through the head. Driving a handful of wide nails, cut tacks, or best case, an axe head repair ring... thing. I don't know the name but it's a ring maybe 1/2" OD, that you drive into the protruding handle, causing the wood to swell and adding compressive force. Check your local hardware store(Ace, True Value, ect), and failing that, something more farmer oriented (Harbor Freight, Do It Best, ect)
Sometimes anti-social, always anti-fascist.