The Daily Dandelion

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:51 pm

Yep, I made them. I'm pretty sure it took me less time than it would have to go to Costco. It was like fate. I usually only make them on Shrove Tuesday, but I always wonder why since they aren't that much trouble, really. We went out on Sunday and had them for lunch and they were so good!. I thought it might be a summer thing my son and I could do together (he loves 'em). The next day a recipe popped up in my pinterest and it prompted me to 'do it now'.

I made a third batch at 5.30 this morning, but I think I'm 'creped out' for a while. I've had them with apricot jam, cream cheese and raspberries, lemon and sugar. My son had one each of strawberry jam, nutella, belgian chocolate - but mostly lemon. My husband had all lemon. For dinner we had them with ham and swiss cheese and a salad with the first of the lettuce from our garden.

I've been sloppy with my eating. My meals have been 'bleeding' into each other. Gotta stop that.
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:49 am

I'll have to try the crepes. I didn't realize they are so versatile!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:33 am

I think it's time to start a crepe club! (I bought some more today & my daughter said "mom you can't eat crepes everyday!")

Your fillings sound so good Dandelion--thx for sharing & hope you get your eating back to where you want it.

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:22 am

I have crepes in the meal rotation again - more of the ham and cheese ones. They were really very good. I think there's a reason why it's a standard paring. They just go together.

I think I've gotten my eating shocked back into 'normality'. I believe the words "I went clothes shopping' say it all :shock:
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:51 am

Oh I feel your pain on the clothes shopping front! It's such a difficult experience. Hopefully you got sone good stuff that you feel good when wearing at least. I'm hoping I won't have to go again till I'm a good 10lbs down.

The ham & cheese crepes sound divine. I'll have to give it a go!

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:13 am

Clothes shopping can be a pain. Yes, the ham and cheese crepes do sound good!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:31 pm

I am so bummed! My Costco is "out" of the crepes, but I kind of wonder if mine just doesn't usually carry them. Maybe I'll start being "that" customer that calls every week and requests them!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:50 pm

I made crepes for lunch today. I had one with ham and cheese and another with peach butter. I think peach is my new favorite.

idontknow

Post by idontknow » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Hi Dandelion,
Thought I'd continue the MK conversation on your thread! When did you live in MK and what did you think of it? I've worked there for 20 years now, but I'm not sure I'd like to live there. Interested to hear your thoughts...
53 years old
Average weight loss:
May 18 - 2.45lbs

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:47 pm

It's funny, just yesterday I was saying to my husband how easily I could go back and live there - maybe even back to working at the OU. It was a good life we had, and I am sure that colors my memories of it. But I love how easy it was around the city on the redways - you could go anywhere on foot or cycling, without ever having to step cross a busy road. It's also easy to get anywhere from there with the M1 and the train.

Other days, though, I want to live out in the country...except when I dream of living in a city, like Paris or Florence.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:02 pm

My tip for the week. If you want a really nice chocolate cake, give America's test kitchen's chocolate raspberry torte a try. A little extra trouble, but definitely worth it.

We had two birthdays this past week, and I made it for one of them. I think it's going to be my standard birthday cake from now on - or at least until I decide on another standard. :)

Lots of special meals, dinners out and three different cakes. Time for things to start getting back to normal now. Whatever that is. 8)

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:22 pm

It's been a busy few days and I know I got totally 'off track' one or two of them. With birthdays and Father's Day, extra days off and trips out of town, it's easy to do. Things should settle down now.

Maybe.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:01 am

Sounds like you've been having fun

I love Americas test kitchen and that cake sounds delish so now I must try!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:48 pm

Sounds delicious!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:53 pm

let me know if you make the torte :)

So. I'm thinkin' about not thinkn' about food or eating. I know people who don't. Ever. If they are hungry, they eat. If not, they don't. They don't even think about it. If you ask them, they get a blank look and get all confused and you have to explain since it's so foreign to them. They don't think about it or talk about it, or analyze it. They don't label food or themselves as 'good' or 'bad' or indulgent or sinful. They don't feel bad when they eat 'a lot', they don't feel bad if they don't (or can't), they don't wish they could eat more or less. They don't feel anything about it at all. They don't dream of how wonderful it would be to eat lots of their favorite foods and not feel ill or gain weight. It's not even on their list of things to think about.

Some people who count and calculate to keep their weight in check don't want to believe this happens. I often see references to those people actively adjusting their eating 'if they eat too much one day, they decide to eat less the next'. Um. No. They don't decide anything - at least the ones I know don't. They don't plan, or calculate, or keep track. They are just less hungry the next day and without thinking about it, they just naturally eat less. It really is just as natural to them as breathing more because they are working hard, or less because they are relaxing (or to be more graphic, peeing more cuz they drank a lot of coffee that morning!)

I know this because I know a couple of those people and sometimes I ask - and get the blank look, but then they think about it and explain what it's like for them.

Not me. i think about it all the time. Analyze. Figure. Wonder. Plan.

I dream of becoming one of those people. I don't wish for eating more volume, or more sweets, or more anything. I dream of thinking about it less. Ideally, never. Many of my strongest memories and most important life events are linked with thoughts, weight and diet. In fact, I have no memories at all of some major life events - except what I was thinking about food/weight.

I wonder what I would have been like if I had never started that first 'diet' at 16. Is it even possible to regain it? All the ones I know who are like this are men. These days with so much information coming at us all the time, it can't be easy for anyone, but is it less difficult for men? If that is my goal, then am I totally sabotaging that goal by 'talking' about it all the time? To be honest, I don't think it makes a difference. Talking about it is a reflection of what I'm thinking about. Not the cause. Maybe that's what bothers me. The reflection shows me how little I've achieved - and how far I have yet to go.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:07 pm

That's so interesting Dandelion! A lot to think about.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:44 pm

I've just been around a lot of people lately. Different from the people I'm usually around. I saw one couple the other day. They sat in front of me, so I couldn't help but notice. She ate for three hours non-stop. All 'healthy' food. He ate a pretzel and drank a glass of wine. I couldn't help but think how that could have been me and my husband. I'd be the one eating for no reason at all. And he would not have been eating - since there was no reason at all. He wouldn't think about it one way or another. Thinking about it sortof dropped me in a hole, and next thing you know, I'm eating again. For no reason at all.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:22 am

Dandelion wrote:I dream of becoming one of those people.
I absolutely know what you're talking about, I live with one of those people (my husband). He'll happily come home and eat a meat pie, on another day he'll have tuna and rice cakes, another day nothing at all. And he doesn't stress about it, or choose one or the other because it is more or less "healthy" or calorific. He just eats (or doesn't eat) what he feels like, and effortlessly maintains a healthy, slightly on the lean side, physique.

I've accepted that this isn't me, and may never be. Just like I'll never be a natural runner. But, with effort, application and training, I've completed three half marathon races.

For me, following No-S gives me just enough structure to function as if I was one of those people. Apart from my 3 meals, I get to forget about food the rest of the day. But, when I ditched the structure (as I did for about 3 months last summer) it doesn't work out for me. Why? Because I'm just not naturally one of those people. I may never be. And that's ok. The No-S training wheels are unobtrusive, and I'm happy to leave them on, for life if I need to.

When I'm trying to cement behaviours, I post more here. When I'm feeling comfortable (and I'm busy in other areas of my life) I post here less. I don't talk about food, diet, eating anywhere except this board.

I'm interested in what you come up with - spending time with different people is such a great way of refreshing our own ideas and approaches.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:19 am

Oh boy I can relate to what you're feeling so so much! I've been dieting since I was 10 but just got SO tired of it all and tried the overcoming overeating thing & other intuitive eating programs. Those helped me to stop putting food in good & bad categories but I still thought about food/eating/weight all the time!

Ugh, I just wanted to not think about food. I wished I just didn't have to eat anymore so I could just not have to think about food anymore but the only thing that quieted my brain was/is NoS. I don't give food a whole lot of thought anymore. I mean I'll plan meals ahead of time so I can shop & right around mealtime I'll think about what I want to eat but that's about it. There's not the constant scheming & searching for that magical eating plan that'll solve all my issues.

NoS isn't a perfect solution. Sometimes I resent the fact that I have to follow any rules, have structure and practice a certain amount of restraint but it's by far the best solution I've found & it's a good one at that. Clearly it's solved the obsessive thinking for me but the jury is still out on wether or not it'll solve my weight issues.

So anyway, that's my take on it. I hope you can find the sense of freedom that you crave.

Linda

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Thanks for your input, both of you. A different perspective is very helpful. You've given me a lot to think about. Maybe I can learn to stop chasing that perfect freedom and learn to accept - and maybe even cherish - the imperfect freedom I have, limited though it is.

I just seem to be feeling down about all of this right now. I'm not sure why.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:33 am

I feel for you. :( I have been really struggling to lose weight over the past 2.5 years since my younger son was born, and I am SO tired of dieting, and thinking about food all of the time. I would love to be able to just eat my meals and be done with it, and not think about it anymore.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:45 pm

I think that's what this is about, really CG. It doesn't matter what I do. I don't lose. I just gain. The harder I try, the more I gain. And then, of course the more I gain, the worse I feel, so the harder I try.

I've been trying to get to the bottom of it all this week. I think that is what it is about. I've been feeling bad about the way I look, so I started putting restrictions in place. A couple of weeks of that, and I'm back at my highest weight ever. It's really no wonder I feel so discouraged.

I started today fresh, not just without the restrictions I'd imposed on myself, but determined to stop the noise in my head; the constant stream of chatter about what I should do or try next, and instead of taking things away, try adding positive things to my day.

Even if it doesn't 'work' better, it certainly sounds better.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:24 pm

I'm very exited about starting a 'new thing'! The quotes and sources are inspiring and the positive energy is powerful.

My eating will likely be chaotic for a while. It always is after I"ve been restricting. But I think with all the positive energy and support here, it may not take as long this time :)

So far there's only been one slight hiccup. Other than that, I've eaten some very nice meals - things I enjoy and what I feel like eating at time, whatever it is. Last night we went to the pool - not for 'exercise' but for some messing around family time. This morning I did tennis drills for 90 minutes. I love tennis even though I'm not good at it, but team play just didn't fit in my schedule this spring, so the drills are it for now.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:36 pm

Yay--dandelion! Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Life is meant to be enjoyed right? The rest is just none sense!

Have a great Sunday!

Linda

worth it

Post by worth it » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:17 pm

I can't tell you all how much I relate to this subject. So thought-provoking.

I will say that No S has solved the what to eat (anything) and when to eat (3 x per day, at any hour I want )problems for me. So I suppose that just leaves the how to eat problem- mindfully, according to my body's needs, wants- not my mind's needs and wants like it typically does.

Right now, two out of three ain't bad. In fact, it's better than I've been able to do on my own.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:53 am

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!

The past few days have definitely been easier for me. I have to relate something that happened Saturday that I suppose could still trip me up on a dark day, but right now I'm okay with it.

I saw an acquaintance on Saturday that I hadn't seen in a while. When I saw her, I didn't know it was her. We even chatted for a few minutes, while I frantically tried to place her. Later I heard her speak to someone else behind me. Hearing her without seeing her, I recognized her voice and turned around and realized it was the woman who had spoken to me before.

I have had that fantasy so many times. Losing weight then seeing people you haven't seen in a while. So far I've only had the opposite experience. Seeing people I haven't seen in a while and imagining them thinking 'wow.What happened to her?' and not in a good way.

Maybe it will happen. Maybe it won't. I'm still going to give it my best, but I don't intend to let it consume me.

One positive step is I decided to invest in better clothes. I haven't really since I gained weight. I don't know if I felt I didn't 'deserve' it, or if I spent money on nice things it would be like I was giving up. But today I bought a 'nice thing'. Just a small thing - but it's a start :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Good for you on investing in nicer clothes! :D

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:58 pm

CG - thanks!

Worthit - two out of three certainly ain't! I think that's the kind of thing I'm thinking. 'Getting' something, and getting it well and consistently. Then working on another.

Things I already 'get':
1. I don't have food guilt. I don't feel guilty if I eat, even if I overeat. I may feel lousy (physcially) or wonder why I did it, but I don't feel like a failure or label myself 'addicted'
2. I don't have 'good' or 'bad' foods. Be it chocolate or ice cream, bacon burgers or kale; food is just food and there is room in my life for all of it. Just not all at once :) (which is good, because kale is about the only thing growing well in my garden. I have loads!)
3. I like 'good' food. Not morally good - but enjoyably good - pleasing to eat. I like to cook, and I don't waste my time on food I don't like - like cheap chocolate, low fat or fat free food products, most fast food places and junky 'snack foods' . Also bananas, turkey and peanut butter (I know!) :)
4. I also have a lot of years of 'self-experimentation' - I know myself fairly well - what works for me and what doesn't - not that I always listen. One of my goals is to do more listening.

Things to work on:

Too numerous to list - and maybe I'm hitting too many things to work on at once. If it is, I'll re-evaluate.

Have an appropriate amount of whatever food I want at the moment (amount determined by hunger level); no snacking. Invest in clothes once or twice a month (I don't want to go crazy with spending). Do something I enjoy each day.

worth it

Post by worth it » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:35 am

Dandelion,

I LOVE your to-do list. Especially about the clothes. I too have bought junky clothes because I keep thinking this "state" is temporary and that I'll be able to fit in my old clothes soon. Well, it's definetly not soon enough and it ends up causing me anxiety because I have nothing to wear.

Your post reminds me that I need to reconsider my "strategy". Thanks!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:38 am

That is exactly what goes through my head. Meanwhile, I have a closet full of clothes I can't fit into - and very little that I can fit into that makes me feel good.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:30 am

I think buying new clothes that you like is an important step in the right direction. It seems you have the food acceptance thing down & just need to work on the body acceptance thing a bit?

Me too. Quite an interesting journey this NoS thing is, huh?

Linda
:D

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:16 am

I'm all for the better clothes! I am also for only picking one thing at a time to work on and making it a habit. If there are too many things to list than take the biggest offender and start there.

I love your benefits though!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:32 pm

It's still scary. I am not a spendthrift by nature. Not on myself anyway. I have always preferred to spend money on other people. It's tough spending money on myself. Even my husband thinks I don't spend enough on myself, so it must be true :)

Another thing I've decided, based on personal experience, is to resurrect proper afternoon tea. It seems to fill that lunch to dinner slot perfectly - not too much or too little and for some reason it never gets away from me the way other choices, no matter how 'healthy', often do. It also helps me balance the other meals out more appropriately, too. I have no idea why, but I remember noticing that effect years ago and just sort of forgot about it until recently.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:46 pm

I don't know where this week went! I've had family in from out of town, and it's certainly kept me busy. It's been fun, but I'm looking forward to a quiet afternoon. What's left of it, at least.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:47 pm

I don't know where this week went! I've had family in from out of town, and it's certainly kept me busy. It's been fun, but I'm looking forward to a quiet afternoon. What's left of it, at least.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:36 am

Still keeping busy. A little tennis, a little swimming....a lot of organizing around the house. I don't know. Maybe I"m nuts, but I have a theory that if I get my surroundings in order, I'll be in a better place to get my insides in order. It can't hurt anyway.

Most excellent dinner today. Quiche Lorraine. asparagus and a couple of Jaffa Cakes. Jaffa Cakes are hard to come by in the US, at least where I live, so deeply appreciated :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:18 am

I hear you about how an organized house helps you to feel more peaceful. Your dinner does sound lovely!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:21 am

Dandelion wrote:Still keeping busy. A little tennis, a little swimming....a lot of organizing around the house. I don't know. Maybe I"m nuts, but I have a theory that if I get my surroundings in order, I'll be in a better place to get my insides in order. It can't hurt anyway.
That doesn't sound nuts at all; I'm a big believer that having a peaceful environment helps me cultivate a peaceful mind. Just don't let external organising become "busy work" that lets you procrasinate on the important job of taking care of yourself (including your body).

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:24 pm

I feel so much calmer & peaceful with an organized clean house. I think some people are more effected by their surroundings than others. I can't focus when things are messy & I start to feel anxious whereas my DH doesn't seemed bothered the least.

I'm even thrown off if I'm sitting in a less than ideal spot at a restaurant so I often ask for a different table when I'm being seated. I'm trying to be better about that though because I think it embarrasses the girls!

Anyway sounds like you're having a nice time. Btw what are Jaffa cakes?

Linda

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:04 pm

It's a bit sad to see how long it's been since my last check-in. Not because of NoS, but because of the reason I dropped off the face of the earth. Something unpleasant happened at work and it affected every part of my life. I hate that someone else's immaturity and pettiness was able to throw my whole life into a spin. I just couldn't find the heart for anything. I"m still not over it, but it has finally begun to lessen its grip on me.

My 'whatever' is going well. It's not NoS. At least nothing anyone would recognize as NoS. I no longer have any rules. There are things I try to do generally - but there are no rules.

Having said that, it makes me wonder why I am here. I"m not sure, either, but where else is there? If I was going to make rules for myself, they would be the NoS rules.

It's been working well for me, though. I have managed to lose two pounds - first real weight loss in years. I even kept it off over a week long vacation - including four full days driving.

Hope everyone is doing well.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:59 pm

Hi Dandelion,
I might suggest one reason why you are here: this forum is a place for moderation, however we go about obtaining that. And moderation slips away from us easily, so the support of the forum is wonderful. :)
Welcome back, "whatever". :) :)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:58 pm

Ding Ding Ding!!!

You are so right, Auto. This truly is the home of moderation - however we achieve it. It was something I felt in a fuzzy brained kinda way, but couldn't put into words. Thank you for finding the words and then sharing them with me :)

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:29 am

Sounds wonderful Dandelion! I hope I'll get there too!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:15 am

That's great, Dandelion! :D I've been feeling a little funny about checking in lately, since I'm not fully No S either, but Auto is right -- this is the home of moderation. I'm glad you have found a WOE that is working for you!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:05 am

Summer is flying by much too quickly! Soon it'll be back to work full-time again. One more week of part time.

I had a couple of very interesting weeks lately. I had zero interest in eating. I got hungry, but I just didn't care, and when I did eat, I was full on very little food and had no problem stopping eating.

I was hoping it would last a while, but it's already over. However, during those two weeks, I was able to lose weight for the first time in years. And it just 'fell off'. I lost five pounds total. And that included a week of vacation eating, and four days of road trip (sitting in a car and eating all day).

The body is an amazing and complicated thing.

Sure, it would be nice if it continued for...oh...another month or so.. But, I'm happy to know that it can happen. It isn't entirely hopeless as I was starting to believe. And it's nice that those five pounds were enough to drop me out of the 'obese' category and into the 'overweight' category.

However, it is nice to enjoy food again :).

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:37 am

Wow, that sounds lovely! I sometimes find the same thing in hot Summer weather - just don't really feel like a bunch of food.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:50 am

Dandelion wrote:And it's nice that those five pounds were enough to drop me out of the 'obese' category and into the 'overweight' category.

However, it is nice to enjoy food again :).
YAY! Both things are amazing - the category change and more importantly your pleasure in food!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:02 am

So true, Eschano :) thank you!

It's a rather peaceful day today. We've had more than 24 hours of rain, which is rather odd in my part of the world. The teenager is working hard finishing up the last of his summer homework assignments, and I've been busy cleaning house and doing bits of work-work in between. I'm already starting to have nightmares about first day of school disasters!

The chilly weather prompted a change in my meal plan for today. I had planned to make an asparagus quiche, but instead I have chili in the crock pot and tortilla chips, avocado, cheese, chopped onions and sour cream to add to it later.

It's funny how 60 degrees is a heat wave in February - but in July, it calls for hot chocolate and marshmallows. (yes, we had that, too)

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:25 pm

I had so much fun today - and no, I didn't play hooky from work!

There were a lot of other staff at work today - about half dozen I hadn't seen in weeks. Every. Single. One. made a comment about how 'different' I looked. No one caught on to the weight loss - it isn't that noticeable. I think my face is thinner, though, and that is what they are seeing.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:24 am

That's fun! I love that kind of thing :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:56 pm

My weight is still coming down, but it has slowed. I'm okay with that. Between age and hypothyroidism, and after years of no loss, any loss is cause for celebration.

It's especially good, since it is happening without unsustainable effort on my part. I haven't cut down on amounts, or cut out any food, and I haven't been 'exercising'. I don't have 'on' days or 'off' days - all are the same.

I attribute it to two things. One, I'm not restricting. That sounds counterintuitive, but restricting has never worked for me. Instead I have taken special care to eat whatever I want, whatever it is. I don't judge it - or feel like my body is 'wrong' if it wants ice cream instead of low fat yogurt (Not that I would eat low fat anything). From pepperoni pizza, to chocolate croissants, from grilled peaches with cream, to eggs scrambled with lots of butter and cream. I just have it. come to think of it, I had all those in the past week.

Secondly, I"m getting a handle on 'comfortably full' and most days I manage to stop there. I am finding it is easier as I get more practice at it.

However, this makes it difficult to comment on other people's threads. I read them, but I realize what is working for me, a) may stop at any time and b) isnt' for everyone.

Next week it's back to work full-time. I don't know if that will change anything. I"ll probably be hungrier since I'll be on my feet all day, but it's also easier not to snack when you're busy and nowhere near food.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:31 pm

Yay--sounds like we're on the same page at the moment. My only rule is "there are no rules". I haven't felt quite ready to post about it yet on my thread but will soon.

Glad things are going well. You're food sounds delish as usual.

Linda :wink:

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:05 pm

Sounds like you're in a really good place, lovely to hear.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:57 am

Iron: Thank you!

Linda: Good to hear from you. I hope things are going well, and I look forward to reading your update when you feel ready to post. I always think your meals sound so good - we seem to like many of the same things.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:37 am

Sounds amazing Dandelion!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:34 pm

I agree! I'm sure we'd have fun in the kitchen together.

Hope your week is going okay!

Linda

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:00 am

That would be fun! I have to bake something for work breakfast next week. I am leaning toward strawberry scones. If I had zucchini I would probably have made zucchini muffins. How sad does a garden have to be not to have zucchini???

The week has gone well. Just days away from the start of school - so lots to do!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:35 am

Hey I can't even keep a houseplant alive!

Love zucchini bread. I've never made scones. Are they difficult?

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:45 pm

Zucchini is usually easier than a houseplant. People usually have to beat it back and can't use/give away the zucchini fast enough.

Scones are easy. Mix 'em with fingers, pat the dough out, cut and bake :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:32 am

I use a scone recipe with only 3 ingredients: flour, cream and lemonade. I find it easier than the traditional one with butter.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:53 am

Mmm. I love zucchini bread, and muffins! I'm getting ready to bake some zucchini muffins -- maybe tomorrow! I've never baked scones. Ironchef, Your scone recipe sounds good!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:59 pm

Ooooh that's funny about the zucchini. I did not know that. I'm very garden challenged so it's all amazing to me. Maybe some day I'll try my hand at it although god knows what will grow in this az heat.

I'm going to try my hand at scones. Thx for idea!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:24 am

You'll have to let me know how they turn out. The lemonade ones sound interesting, too.

Long first day back at work, and I don't feel like I accomplished anything. I was right about being hungrier than when I'm home. I didn't take nearly enough lunch. However, looking forward to Indian tonight - and some leftovers for lunch tomorrow. :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:05 am

I'm sure you'll figure out how much to take for lunch over the next few days. Indian food sounds SO good!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 am

I changed my scone plan. I stumbled on a recipe on pinterest for peaches and cream baked oatmeal. Sounds perfect! I can make it in the crock pot or at least mix it up the night before and bake it in the morning.

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:55 pm

Hello Dandelion, I just wanted to say thank you for stopping by my thread.
Hope the second day back at work went ok.
Peaches and cream baked oatmeal sounds delicious!
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:31 pm

One week of the new school year down, on to the second.

It was a tough week. Everyone worked so hard. It's amazing how much gets done over the summer, but especially during those last few weeks. We had to create two classrooms out of other rooms and shuffle staff to make room for new staff over the summer. Halls and rooms were painted. All the classrooms got emptied out - and then put back together this past week. Everyone was there late ever night - I was there til 9 one night, and then had to put in a few more hours on Saturday. But it's all beautiful and shiny ready for kids next week.

My eating was all over the place - but I didn't want to concern myself with it too much. Maybe not the rest of August with all the meetings and events going on, plus company coming to stay at the end of the month. As long as I don't gain -at least not more than a pound - I'm good with that.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:36 am

Wow sounds like a lot of hard work. Teachers are so terribly underpaid yet they are some of the hardest working people I know.

Smart of you to not worry about your eating to much right now. You'll get back on track once you get back to a normal routine I'm sure.

Linda

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:51 am

Thanks, Linda.

Halfway through the week. I'm putting in a morning snack until I get used to this working stuff.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:00 am

Made it through the week!

It's been a long, exhausting week. There was a get together after school, but I was just too tired to even think about it. I'm looking forward to sleeping in and spending time with some friends we hardly ever see this weekend.

Lots to do this weekend, though. Got a work thing tomorrow and then we need to get things ready around the house for company coming to stay in a couple of days. I'm really looking forward to a little normality, but that isn't going to happen for a while yet.

Loads of food this week - my colleagues definitely believe in spoiling people on their birthdays :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:07 am

Sounds like a busy but happy time!

So was it your bday??

Linda

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:09 am

Yes, it was :) However from the attention my family paid to it, you'd never have guessed. Our friends who were to meet us at dinner never made it. Not exactly a crashing success this year. I did get a totally amazing gift from my daughter which made up for quite a lot of it. (although not sure that should absolve my husband for his lack of attention to the occasion)

A few days later, we had company show up. It was difficult since we were back in school and I was scheduled up to the eyeballs with meetings and todos. It's tough when you see people so seldom, but there is nothing you can do to arrange more time with them.

They are gone now and we've been spending the remains of the day doing whatever we please - and basking in the silence. Tomorrow it will be laundry and shopping - and homework (I'm no more a fan of it than you are, Linda). But, today it's my book, (I'm on the third 'Game of Thrones' book) a giant glass of iced tea, some chocolate and my favorite chair by the window. Oh, and a quick check-in here, of course!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:11 am

Sorry about your bday Dandelion. I'm pretty sure I wrote a similar post in my last bday. Men!

Glad things have calmed down a bit for you. You're day sounds wonderful.

Linda :)

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:09 am

I haven't been here in a couple of weeks. It actually seems like longer. I feel like I've been drifting. Not doing much of anything definite. Not NoS. Not anything else.

Those few pounds I lost over the summer? They're back. All that hope and enthusiasm I had back then. They're gone.

Maybe I'm just tired. Maybe I just need to give myself a break.

I'll have it think about it.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:16 am

*hugs* it's hard figuring all this out & it's annoying that we even must. Can't we just eat when we need to eat and get on with the rest of our lives otherwise? Apparently not....

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:07 am

I may not be eating the way I'd like to, but I am happy that I have been a bit more active. 'A bit' is all I am trying right now. A consistent bit that may eventually grow into a bit more. But I'm not even thinking about that. Just working on this bit. It isn't much but it feels good to be doing something.

Stress is high right now. Apparently I don't always recognize it. The other day I felt like I had all I could take and I felt close to tears all day. Those days I recognize the stress. But there have been other signs that indicate that even when I feel fine - even when I think I am balancing my work/rest time - even when I don't feel overwhelmed and close to tears - I can still be stressed. The not sleeping, hair loss and temporary blindness were my first clues....

Always a work in progress, isn't it?

Thanks for sticking around with me Linda.

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:21 pm

Focusing on one small thing really adds up in the long run. We just can't physically do everything, and it sounds like you are on the right track.

Sorry to hear about all of the stress - is there anything you can do to focus on yourself? Even if it's one small thing of doing something for yourself, it might help you get through this stressful time. Also, is there anything that isn't as important that you can drop right now to help give you more time for other things?

Good luck with getting through this time, I hope things calm down for you soon.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Good to see you Dandelion!

I'm so sorry to hear about the stress. I hope you get some relief soon and since exercise has a bigger impact on our health than food, I think just focus on the progress you've made in that area. The rest will happen when you're ready as someone wise recently told me (thanks jean!).

Hang in there!

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:57 am

I'm sorry you're under so much stress right now. I think getting in some movement each day should definitely help.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 am

I have those days I don't recognize. My friends often spot it and I learnt that if I "should feel stress" and don't I will still treat myself especially nicely. It helps. Delighted you're more active!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:45 am

Hi Dandelion. I have been reading your thread and just wanted to encourage you to keep plugging away. My own thread has been a catalogue of regular failings but somehow I've kept going like you have and things feel a little easier right now. I think stress is just so completely undermining of everything we are trying to do. I think you are right we do not always realise we are so stressed. For me this is because it is an everyday backdrop to my life. Work in teaching is very demanding and I realise now that a lot of my stress was just internalised and damaging to my body, let alone my well being. I am really hoping you can find some ways to lower your stress. I am trying to exercise more, do some meditation and yoga. I also love reading and like you have read A Game of thrones - brilliant. So I find losing myself in a good story is such a liberating event, I hope you can make time to read, we often don't, sometimes can't. But again it might really help stress wise.
Sorry for long post. Have a good week and I will be hoping that you feel easier in yourself very soon
Tessy

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:07 am

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot.

I'm in a bit of a pit of self loathing right now. I am trying to pack for a trip. It's cold where I'm going. I'm leaving my 80s and heading into the 20s and 30s. Maybe 40s if we're lucky. So I pull out my winter clothes. Or at least what I think are my winter clothes. Instead I find three bags- not small bags either. Those big storage bags you suck the air out of - of clothes I can't wear, but I've hung on to for 'someday' when I fit them again.

I still haven't found the clothes I can fit into.

I'm writing this down for those days when I lose my way. Because I have to change this. To make peace with it one way or another. Find a way to lose the weight, or get rid of the past. I'd settle for a bit of both.

Nothing brings you face to face with reality like a bed covered with clothes.... in 6 sizes... and not a thing to wear. Strangely enough, though, I feel calmer just having written it down.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:29 am

Sorry this is hard. I finally gave away all my old clothes that no longer fit and bought new things. It's one of the kindest things I've done for myself.

Things will get better one way or another.

Linda

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:33 am

I hung on to clothes I wore when I was 17 until a bit over two years ago. Always this dream I'd fit into them again. I can confirm what Linda said. I felt such a wave of relieve when I got rid of them.

Also, let's be honest, even if I fit into them again I wouldn't really want to wear them. And if you happen to need size 6 clothes again - would you not rather treat yourself to new ones?
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:40 pm

I think this change in season is affecting everyone! I feel like we are all struggling through together. I gave myself permission to let go of my "goal" clothing too. I did keep a few things that are about half a size too small, but if they don't fit by next year, they're gone. I honestly think I kept the smaller sizes as a gauge to know when I'm back to that size, but do I really think I won't know?!?!?!

I'm glad writing it down helped you feel calmer - I hope you find your winter clothes and start feeling better. Keep focusing on your exercise, you're doing great!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:56 am

I'm actually in a similar place, myself. I have a ton of pre-pregnancy clothes, and I'm wondering if I'll ever fit into them again, and if it's worth it to keep them.
I agree with the other ladies. I think things will get better.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:06 am

I'm with Linda, treat yourself to something new and fashionable that fits and is comfortable.
clarinetgal wrote:I'm actually in a similar place, myself. I have a ton of pre-pregnancy clothes, and I'm wondering if I'll ever fit into them again, and if it's worth it to keep them.
Even when I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight, some of my clothes still didn't fit because stuff has *ahem* moved around a little. Plus some stuff just looked like what it was - old. I let go of a bunch of stuff and feel much better about my clothes now. Nothing makes me feel frumpy and mumsy like shabby, dated clothes.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:20 pm

Well, I'm back at home and happy to be warm - not to mention breathing easier, too! I"ve been reading all your comments and as usual, you are all so on target. I started a pile (yup, right before I left the house for several days) of 'clothes to reconsider'. Some things don't fit, although some do but I dont' feel 'good' in them. I"ve decided If I"m sure I don't want them - I"ll get rid of them now. The remaining things will be set aside and if I don't want them in the next year, they'll go out then.

I've started purchasing new things - from the inside out :) I ordered stockings today - the lacy stay up kind. I haven't had any in years.

I'm also determined to find black boots this fall. Surely there will be a pair I like that will zip all the way up!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:12 am

That's great, Dandelion! I hope you are able to find things you like, and that help you to feel good about yourself when you wear them.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:36 pm

No success on the boots...this time. However, I did find three pair of shoes I liked with various heel heights. It feels a bit uncomfortable spending money on myself, but I will just have to get over it :wink:

We had crepes for breakfast this morning and I'll be making one of my favorite soups for dinner tonight with homemade bread. I'm making a double batch so I have some for the freezer and for lunches.
milys-experiments.blogspot.com/2008/11/polish-stew.html

I hope everyone had a great weekend.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:08 am

It makes such a difference to like your clothes! And for the boots - I get mine widened at the cobblers if necessary :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:10 am

I'm glad you found some nice shoes! Mmm, soup and bread sound good!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:28 pm

Though I've been a member of this group for several years, I've never been one of those who is consistent here. It seems I'm the type who needs a change every so often. To 'Shake things up'. I feel like I've been transitioning into a period of change for a while, but just haven't admitted it to myself until now. I've been dropping by fairly often the past several weeks, but really just to check on how others are doing, and I'll probably still do that from time to time. Take care, and I'll see you when my life brings me back

8)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks for the update Dandelion! Totally understand but hope you pop in now & then!

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:43 am

I wish you the best, as you are making these changes, and I hope you do stop by.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:13 am

Thank you for your posts.

Any weight loss thoughts are on the back burner for now due to health concerns. Waiting for test results. Funny how perspective changes.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:47 am

I hope your test results come back okay. Yes, your health is definitely more important than weight loss.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:37 am

My fingers are crossed for you too!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:57 pm

Thank you. I need all the prayers and positive vibes I can get. I really hope I hear today.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:51 am

Just checking on you. I hope you're okay.