Daily meal plans

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

freegirl

Daily meal plans

Post by freegirl » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 am

I am struggling what and how much to eat for a meal, so I am not stuffed, but still I can avoid snacking until the next meal. I'd appreciate a few daily meal plans from th eold timers. Also, wer eyour meals much bigger in the beggining?

Bean&Sprout

Post by Bean&Sprout » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:59 pm

I'm not an old-timer (today marks four weeks for me), but I'll chime in anyway. :) Yes, for me, my meals were bigger than normal. I had a fear of being too hungry between meals, so my three plates were pretty full. I'm starting make them smaller, now that I'm out of the habit of snacking between meals, and I'm not so nervous about feeling hungry.

I haven't lost much weight in these four weeks (between 3-5 pounds total, depending on where in the bathroom my scale is placed), but I haven't had any fails, either. Additionally, I've eaten food that I've enjoyed, from across the full spectrum of food groups. I was on a low carb diet for approximately six months before finding No S, and truly couldn't fathom doing it for the rest of my life.

For breakfast, I usually have a bowl of oatmeal, with raisins or sliced apple, and maybe a spoon of peanut butter stirred in. If I'm running late, I'll grab a slice of cheese toast, and a fruit. For lunch, I've been on a sandwich kick (probably a low carb overcorrection), so I have a sandwich with a fruit, cut up veggies, and then something snack-ish (chips, cheeze-its, etc.). I put the snack-ish things on the plate last, so I'm not choosing chips over an apple. :) For supper, it varies quite a bit. Last night, I had beans and rice over a bed of lettuce and other salad veggies with some guacamole and a few crushed tortilla chips for crunch. The night before, it was a bowl of soup with a salad and a slice of bread.

What are the foods that you find most nourishing/comforting/tasty/filling? What have you forbidden yourself in the recent past? If it's not a sweet, then there's room for that food on your plate. Keep in mind, too, that if you don't put enough on your plate, and are too hungry, it's okay to have a glass of milk to tide you over. This has saved me from post-dinner snacking on several occasions.

Best wishes to you. I'm sure you'll be able to find something that works for you.

april1127

Post by april1127 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:49 am

My meals have been bigger than usual as well because I want to feel satisfied until the next meal. Reinhard in his book mentions that will happen at first. Then after awhile you will lessen the amount of food. Maybe not though because if you have been mindlessly snacking throughout your day like I have then the three meals might be just perfect for you. Only time will be able to tell. What has really helped me is making sure I have a protein or veggie on my plate, they really helps fill me up so I don't feel like I am denying myself. Drinking water is important as well.

Keep up the great work! You can do it!! :D :D

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:40 am

My meals would probably be small for someone just starting out.

Breakfast is a fruit/protein smoothie.
Lunch is a veg, cheese and a chunk of bread. I usually have olive oil dressing the veggies somehow.
Dinner varies. Lots of veggies.

In the winter, I'll have a veggie soup, again with bread and a little cheese for lunch. I try to do vegetarian before 6. Sometimes I manage vegan, sometimes, not.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:31 am

Big in the beginning, and still big at times. Three meals a day.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:06 am

After 2 years of No S, my breakfast is the most "standard" meal of the day: usually a bowl of rolled oat porridge made with whole milk, with blueberries, sultanas and a spoon of peanut butter. I used to also have a slice of fruit toast with butter, until I realised I was actually feeling overfull by including that.

Lunch is variable when I'm home, but on work days it is generally a cheese and salad sandwich, with something additional, e.g. an apple spread with peanut butter, a slice of fruit toast, a piece of left over quiche or chicken from dinner.

Dinner is the most varied, for example this week we've had: steak, potatoes and veg, chicken enchiladas, lasagna. Tonight is nachos.

My meals started out a bit bigger, because I was still breast feeding when I began No S. They've gotten smaller over time, but they are definitely not small compared to what I've read a lot of other posters eat. I used to feel worried about being hungry between meals, but now I've realised a few things: 1. Being hungry is not the end of the world. If I misjudged, it's still only 4 or 5 hrs to the next meal. 2. A cup of tea, coffee or if really pushed a glass of milk, will usually get me to the next meal if I'm really hungry. 3. Feeling hungry about an hour before a meal is a good thing! Remember when you were little and you weren't allowed to "spoil" your dinner, how much you anticipated it for that hour beforehand?

Things have all changed again for me now, as I'm pregnant and sorting out how to handle morning sickness. I've also noticed that I have "hungry" weeks when I load up my plates a bit more and choose heavier foods. I try to just roll with it.

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I'll start on Oct 20 with four meals: breakfast, lunch, tea time, and dinner.

I need some food in the afternoon. I think it's more emotional need than physiological need. But if I follow all the other rules, I'll be making a lot of changes to my eating habits. Maybe I'll need this crutch just for a while, let's see.

If I eat something in the afternoon, and it's allowed, it's less likely that I'll eat again after dinner. The other reason I'll try this is because I want my dinners to be light, so I can increase my chances of exercising in the evening.

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:07 pm

I understand the need for afternoon eating. I eat my breakfast around 10, lunch at 2 and dinner at 7--that is the only way I can get thru the afternoon and I'd rather have a full meal than a snack--

mastermesh

Post by mastermesh » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:12 am

not sure how helpful this will be, but here's a couple of interesting links related to dieting that I found a few days ago:

Calorieking's interactive calorie counter thingy that shows you "the amount of calories you should eat every day"
http://www.calorieking.com/interactive- ... t/?ref=nav

A blog outlining the container system of the 21 day fix that is on infomercials everywhere nowadays, and how to do the same thing without buying the 21 day fix...
http://www.zenfatloss.com/21-day-fix-container-sizes/

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:18 pm

With all due respect, I'd skip looking at the calorie site for another six months. :o

On Dec. 26, I'll have my 5 year anniversary.

When I first started No S, I had already determined that lunches and dinners with a hunk of some animal protein, a couple of servings of a grain product, a couple of tablespoons' worth of fat (total- including what was in the food) and a half a plate of freggies was actually a delightful meal for me.(My downfall was bingeing afternoon into evening.) The volume often included what I would have had as a snack previously, which was often something like cottage cheese, fruit, and some walnuts. Breakfast could be similar to a snack or less protein, more grain. I ALWAYS included at least a tablespoon's equivalent of fat. Sometimes, I forgot it and would later start getting peckish, wondering why and would remember: dang! I forgot the nuts/olives/avocado, etc.

Don't get me wrong. I had plenty of half plates of pizza and Mexican food, and sometimes do now.

I totally agree that getting comfortable, even welcoming of an hour or two or REAL hunger before a meal is a great goal.

After a few months, I started experimented with cutting down on the dense foods, and that has gone on.

I eat a lot less now when I'm compliant. It's actually enough food for appetite, but not always enough for fun. :?

Five years in I think the more you can just put some darn food on a plate, enjoy the hell out of it, and be done with it, the better.

Look forward to looking back on a few months of success and remember you can't get there without the patience to live it. :lol:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:22 pm

Oh, forgot to say: just go with the afternoon eating and don't be surprised or afraid if it starts seeming like it's just not necessary. Just try to be calm and curious about it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)