ironchef mostly weekly check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:15 am

I love your walking idea--adorable! Great job on cutting down the caffeine!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:59 am

Love this new challenge no matter if you track it or not but it sounds like so much fun!

Also, delighted your headache period is over. I'm certainly feeling much better off caffeine than on it - no matter how many studies say it's good for you.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:23 pm

I'm glad the walking is going well for you! Good job on cutting back on caffeine! That is something I also plan to do, in the next few months.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Thanks you guys! Walking is going awesome. I get up, drink a glass of water, and go. Because my brain is barely awake there is no dithering, bargaining or excuses - I'm halfway around the block before I realise it. I've even walked both weekend mornings, and very early Tuesday morning before the gym. I think it helps that I've dialled way down on the caffeine, so my system isn't begging me for that first cup of coffee. I'm not going to track this habit (except for miles so I can see where I am in the fictional walk), because it seems like a habit that will just be a habit, no willpower required.

[Nerd warning]And get this - I'm still on the first day. Those bl**dy hobbits walked 18 miles the first evening! [end Nerd]

Green so far this week for No S (despite baking a flourless mandarin cake for my work on Monday).

Red so far this week for HomeFree - grr! Aiming for green today.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:48 am

Really great you're enjoying your walking. Love the nerdiness of it too. I'm married to one so I get it. :lol:

Linda

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:45 am

Lol ironchef! Well, if you had the whole afternoon/evening to walk and a Nazgul behind you you would also walk 18 miles!

I love that your brain isn't awake enough to bargain. Sounds good to me!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:23 pm

LOL, eschano! ;) But (nerd alert), it was a Black Rider, not a Nazgul yet.

Ironchef, you know our cats are Frodo and Sam, don't you? Frodo is a black/white tabby and his brother Sam is an orange/white tabby. Get it? Hair color?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:50 am

Thanks Linda, eschano, auto, I knew this was the one place I could admit I'm using this way of motivating myself to walk :)

Those are awesome cat names, auto! My dog is Huan (Luthien's dog from the Silmarillion).

I'm almost weirded out that after what, 6 months(?), of back and forth trying to work out an exercise system that would stick, trying different things and getting reds, failing and getting discouraged, all of a sudden this habit just slides into place with very little effort. I stayed overnight at my folks place last night with my son, so we could enjoy a later dinner for my Dad's birthday, and I even got up and walked early this morning around her suburb (without the dog). It's just "how I start the day".

Green rest of week for No S this week and Green for HomeFree.

A really lovely S weekend this week. Yesterday was a totally normal day except for a dessert of crepe suzette with my Dad's birthday dinner (my mother makes an awesome crepe), and then a slice of birthday cake. I think I really prefer S days that have an actual special event like that, as it gives shape and meaning to the S's that I do have. Otherwise I feel like I'm just having sweets or snacks for the sake of it. Then, of course, I realise that vanilla No S says "Sometimes" and therefore there is no requirement for me to have S's every weekend if there is not an event. I really need to practice that 4th S :roll:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:44 pm

I'm glad I help anybody. There is so much misery over this topic.

I enjoy your postings as well. It's such a shame that No S is relegated to these little pockets of support as if it was some weird diet while the bookstores are full books on diets and even lifestyles that I just can't imagine our whole culture adopting. Paleo is the big one now. But perhaps they'll affect the overall results? We'll know in five years if it has actually helped large numbers of people eat less years later.

I've been trying for way more than a year to get regular about exercise. Hope springs eternal.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:19 pm

Green so far this week. I've decided I'll have a small S event today at work, as my good friend told me earlier in the week he is going to bake pumpkin scones and bring them in. I'll have half a scone with jam.

Funny dream last night: I was dreaming I had to urgently take care of a small entity, who was in a terrible state - kind of a cross between a pre-schooler and a baby bird who falls out of the nest too soon (yep, dreams are weird). Anyway, I ran next door (who knows why) to get him/it something to eat, and chopped up a bunch of salads. While cleaning up I quickly ate some chunks of apple and celery. And my dream self thought "What am I doing, it's an N day, that's a red". Not "what is this bizarre baby bird/human child thing", but "this isn't how I normally eat". That's right folks, I am now DREAMING No S habits.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:00 am

Thanks for giving me a good laugh! Too funny!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:37 am

So funny! I used to dream about going off NoS too. I guess it shows how important this is for us.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:10 am

Lol ironchef!!

Where are you at in your walk now? halfway to Rivendell?
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:53 am

Thanks for asking eschano! I'm quite proud that I made it through the first day (18 miles) finally yesterday, so today I started the second day. Those hobbits slept in and ate brunch before starting out - oh to be so lucky :) Sometimes today they'll be chased by the first Black Riders though, so perhaps not lucky at all...

I've been working away lately at my efforts to get more fruit and veg onto my plates and stop serving myself big plates of all heavy foods (whole plate of lasagna, anyone?). It's going pretty well, and is much easier now Spring is here and the shops are full of lovely, fresh local fruit and veg. I've been trying to get a bit more adventurous with my cooking, so this week as part of dinner plates I've made:
  • Apple, carrot, walnut and sultana salad with lemon juice (from our tree)
    Spinach and asparagus (from our garden! yay!) fried very lightly in olive oil with a bit of bacon for flavour.
    Lettuce (from our garden), capsi and strawberry salad with balsamic.
    Spinach (again from the garden) with carrot and sweet potato, with cumin, garlic and lemon.
I'm really enjoying getting lots of different colours, tastes and textures onto our plates, and I think mr. chef appreciates it too. I realise I've been very boring over the Winter with my defaults - barley broth, tortillas, impossible pie, lasagna, rinse, repeat.

I've also realised how much bread and butter I eat. Not that I think there is anything wrong with bread and butter, just that I don't think it should be 80% of every meal :) So, I've changed my intelligent dietary default breakfast from porridge and a slice of buttered fruit toast to porridge with berries, seeds, bananas and grated apple. I've had a bit of a hungry week this week, but I'm not sure if it's related to this change. No drama, just needed that extra cup of roiboos tea mid morning.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:20 pm

Your freggie ideas sound delicious. I so wish we had a lemon tree. A lil squirt of lemon really brightens flavors!

Great job with the walking!

Linda

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:55 pm

Wow Ironchef your salads sound Devine. It's funny your season is opening up with yummy fruit and veggies and mine in uk is starting to close down with winter coming and more pasts, bread, and carbs to keep warm :lol: still I love soup with barley. But I am also feeling too much bread is a bit heavy for my constitution. I make breaD every week, but tend to eat it on as days one but only say once a week with soup or in a sandwich. Keep inventing those magical veggie mixes :)

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:35 am

Well done on Day1!! It's such a fun thing to do! Do you walk faster when you know they are being chased?

Great veggie ideas, unfortunately it's out of season here now. But I got sweet corn at the farm next to us. It's so good to pick it and then peel the leaves off - just immediately connects me to the food a bit more. Sweet corn is definitely one of the foods I love that pops up as "bad veggie" in so many diets. Glad to do NoS and enjoy the lovely taste!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks guys, I really am having fun with the new season.

eschano, I have never understood all the hating on sweetcorn! I love it the stuff and so does Ironbaby. Watching him with corn on the cob is hilarious :)

tessy - I know what you mean about Winter and the change in foods. When I spent some time living in London I gained a lot of weight in the Winter - the grey, the days in the office without natural light, the limit (or expense) of fresh stuff. I gained about 8 kilos in 11 weeks the first time I travelled to the UK in Winter (although that's really common with Aussie tourists apparently, we call it the "Heathrow injection").

A mixed weekend - Saturday I did lots of snacking on cakes and bread with jam and went to bed (and woke on Sunday) feeling a bit ill. Sunday was much nicer: I made some passionfruit curd and enjoyed some on toast plus we went out for a bigger than normal brunch (but still one plate), but otherwise a normal day.

Looks like I'm probably pregnant (taken two tests this weekend), so that might explain the very hungry week last week. Anyway, will make an appointment with my doctor for Friday to confirm.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:20 pm

Looks like a great weekend & congrats!!! Those tests are pretty darn accurate so sounds like you definitely are preggers. By the way you talk about iron baby I can tell you're a great mom. Iron baby 2 is going to one lucky kid coming into such a loving family. :D

Enjoy this special time.

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:50 am

Wow, congrats!! :D All of your salads and other veggie meals sound lovely, by the way.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:57 am

I can't wait to find out and hoping you are pregnant!

I had to laugh at the "Heathrow injection" as I've never heard of it. I found when I lived in the US that I was at my biggest and most of my European colleagues too. More down to the food though rather than the winter. The UK is okish but then I'm from Austria so used to winter! The thinnest I was since I live abroad was in Italy. All those fresh-from-the-field and affordable ingredients worked a miracle on me.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:29 am

Hahaha the Heathrow injection :) I now at last have a good excuse, it's not me it's the climate and the food :)
How exciting about your test. My thoughts are with you and hoping for another wonderful Iron baby on the way.
Passion fruit curd sounds totally yummy - do you make it and if so did you sieve out the pips? I love your food :)
Have a good week and best wishes for your Friday appointment :)

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:34 am

Exciting news! :) LOL, I tell my students that there is no such thing as a false positive on a pregnancy test (now, technically there is, but for all practical situations--no)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:27 pm

Yup, you guys were right, looks like I'm up the duff :) Very pleased and excited, although doesn't really seem real yet.

tessy - I made the passionfruit curd much the same as I make lemon curd (what we call lemon butter). I didn't strain out the seeds, but I think I should have. The taste is lovely, but the texture is too crunchy.

Red today - had a hot chocolate out with my son and husband (it is school holidays, so we all had a day off together). Then tonight, I had a small piece of rhubarb and apple cake with my parents after dinner (my mum made it and brought it specially). As I think I've posted before, today is actually how I'd ideally like a Saturday or Sunday to look. In fact, I'm going to try to mimic today over the rest of the weekend.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Congratulations!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:17 am

Congrats! Your reds don't sound too bad. I hope you have a nice, moderate weekend.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:14 am

Thanks jean and heather :)

I had a really good Saturday - basically an N day with a slice of passionfruit butter on toast and a bowl of icecream after dinner.

Sunday I had normal breakfast, but for lunch we went out and I had pancakes with maple syrup and banana. Then my son only ate half his peach muffin, so I had half a muffin. When we got home, my husband hadn't finished his breakfast oats, so I finished them with some passionfruit butter. Now I feel very ill. A whole sugar meal just felt gross. I actually had to sleep after lunch because I was so full and drowsy.

Hope everyone else did a better job of enjoying their Sunday!

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:54 pm

I don't like the overfull feeling - but we are all so chronically sleep deprived, I kinda like those weekend days when we fill up on foods we like and doze off in the sunshine for a nap.

Belated congratulations, too!
'I do think the way to a full and healthy life is to adopt the sensible system of small helpings, no seconds, no snacking, and a little bit of everything. Above all, have a good time.' Julia Child

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:04 am

I like the N day that became a NWS day :) that sounds like an ideal S day to me too. Unfortunately, my S days sometimes still look like your Saturday (and way too often) where I feel unwell from too much sugar.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks guys :) I'm feeling much better again with two green N days under my belt. I ate some pretty heavy plates on Monday, but they were still plates.

I'm still walking every day - I have only missed one day since I started, on Sunday because it was pouring with rain and hail (and it was a Sunday!). I've just gotten to 33 miles which means I'm being chased by Black Riders for the first time! Still only on Day 2 because those crazy hobbits walked 26 miles on their second day(!), although if I was chased by Black Riders I'd probably cover a bit more ground.

I'm finding the mornings slightly harder - getting a bit of a mildly "hungover" feeling when I get up. Last pregnancy I didn't get sick until about 6 weeks, so we'll see how we go. I think I may have to institute a mod to allow me to eat Cruskits when I feel sick, as that was what worked last time. I think if I limit it to a single food, and don't allow random snacking, it should be ok.

It's weird that no one in real life (except my husband and immediate family) knows that I'm pregnant, but I write about it here. I guess because it is so strongly related to how I feel and what I eat.

Based on weighing at the gym this past month, I've now settled to about 59.5kg (131 pounds), which is back to my lowest No S weight (when I was still breast feeding). I guess it's only going to go up from here, but I'm planning to just stick with my habits, with mods if I need them for sickness, and see where I go.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:08 am

It sounds like you're doing well! I think your mod sounds good.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:22 am

You're doing great & definitely do what you need to in order to combat "morning" sickness.

It's great that you're starting out your pregnancy at a good weight.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:50 am

Fantastic news all around ironchef.

And I love your walking updates. I think it's such a fun program!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks guys :)

Minor red day today, as the Mr Whippy van came past the park this afternoon while I was there with my son. He's never seen "the pink van that plays music" before, and I got the lady to make him an extra small soft serve cone. I shared it with him, because it was late arvo and I didn't want to spoil his dinner, and also because I'm a sucker for Mr Whippy. I am completely comfortable with this as a fail-worthy S, and I'm posting here my commitment to keeping this an isolated fail - no WTH!

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:44 pm

Ironchef - CONGRATS!!!!!! So happy for you and your family. Such great memories of being pregnant, I hope it all goes smoothly with little morning sickness. Sounds like a great plan, too. I did something similar :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks Sinnie :) I had a really great experience of pregnancy and labour last time around, so hopefully things will again go smoothly.

Managed to not WTH yesterday, although it was tough because I took my volunteering friend out to a movie, and I would normally get an icecream or some popcorn. Toughed it out, mostly because I knew I'd have to post here.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:49 am

Great job iron. I absolutely cannot go to the movies without having popcorn! I think the mr whippy incident was definitely fail worthy. Sharing a special ice cream with mommy is the kind of thing childhood memories are made of.

I wish our ice cream truck sold soft serve! Just pre-packaged stuff for us. :shock:

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:37 am

That truck sounds like heaven to me. And I like your cracker plan for your pregnancy. But really: whatever makes the sickness subside!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:02 am

Hi ironchef!

I just wanted to swing by and say howdy...I only recently read your testimonial and it really warmed the cockles of my heart :-)

And massive congrats on being preggers!! Such awesome news - and your plan of limiting how you handle morning sickness sounds really wise..

I see that you drink rooibos tea - yum! I grew up drinking rooibos in Africa when I was a kid and you've reminded me of it. I am going to buy some today for shizzle.

:lol:

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:15 am

Thanks everyone, yeah, sharing my son's first ever taste of icecream was something I'll never forget. Linda - a Mr Whippy van without softserve! Isn't that against the law??

Aww, Kookie, thanks :) My Dad was born in South Africa, so that's where the taste for roiboos comes from. Also a lifelong love affair with koeksisters :) Roiboos has much fewer tannins than tea and of course no caffeine, so is win-win for me now I'm pregnant. I had problems with low iron last time, and my doctor said to avoid having things with tannins (like tea) at meal times as they can block iron absorption.

Finished the week green; I'm pleased that it was just the one fail. Last night I baked a pumpkin, banana and ginger loaf. I've been watching my son, husband and my mother eat it all day today and I'm REALLY looking forward to a slice at morning tea time tomorrow morning :)

Hope everyone has a happy Friday and a great start to the weekend.

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:42 am

Any chance for a recipe please? It sounds so yummy!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:25 am

Absolutely. I use the Donna Hay basic banana bread recipe as a basis, and then make it up from there.

Ingredients:
125g butter
1 cup sugar (I use Dark Muscovado unrefined sugar, brand is Billington's, as it gives a lovely gingerbready taste to the loaf)
2 eggs
1 cup mashed over-ripe bananas
1 cup mashed cooked pumpkin
1 tspn ground ginger
1 tspn ground cinnamon
1/2 tspn ground allspice
1/3 cup honey (I use my Dad's honey, but you could easily use golden syrup)
1&3/4 cups SR flour
1 tspn baking powder

Method:
Preheat oven to 180 C and grease and line a loaf tin with baking paper (this is a moist loaf, so you want the paper rather than just buttering the tin).

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Mix in mashed pumpkin and banana, honey and spices. Add the flour and baking powder and mix well.

Put it in the tin and bake for about an hour or so, or until a skewer comes out clean.

Variations:
Make all pumpkin or all banana loaf
Use mashed sweet potato
Add 1/2 cup of raisins or sultanas to the mix
Change the spice mix (nutmeg, cloves, mixed spice - just go easy on the nutmeg as it can overpower).
To change it into more of a cake, use caster sugar instead of the dark sugar, and ice it.
Icings that are nice with this cake: passionfruit icing, cream cheese icing with lemon juice, cream cheese icing with a little maple syrup added.

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:50 am

That sounds so amazing iron. Thanks a lot!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:29 pm

That recipe sounds great!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:49 am

Yum! Going to try that tomorrow! Btw, they don't have golden syrup readily in the states (at least not on west coast) but I order it from amazon to use in my granola. Of course if I had access to fresh honey, I'd put it on everything!

Tessytwinkle

Post by Tessytwinkle » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:43 am

Hi iron. Thank you for delicious recipe :) I've been off the board for a bit. But delighted to read about new iron baby :) take care and enjoy this time. Only comes rarely but is so precious :)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:13 am

Ugh, really struggling with feeling queasy today. I ate lunch about 2 hours ago and now I'm feeling really bleurgh. I ran out of salt crackers here at work. I want to go and buy something to eat, but perhaps I should buy myself a peppermint tea instead.

Classic Ironbaby on the weekend, said while reading a book with my mother and holding a water bottle with one hand. I'm using "Ironbaby" instead of his name:
Ironbaby: "Here's Ironbaby, he's 2 years and half a month, and he's just loving bottles at the moment".
Me: "You're actually 2 years and 4 months old at the moment"
Ironbaby: "He's 2 years and 14 months actually".

I don't know why he's announcing himself in the third person like that, but it was so funny.

Edited to add: I also realised that during my bizarre "taking care of baby bird / child" dream a few weeks ago, I was actually about 10 days pregnant, but didn't know it yet. That's weird.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:18 am

I cracked and bought some olive bread at the bakery downstairs, as well as a lemongrass and ginger tea. Feel somewhat better now after a slice of bread and the tea. Ah well, a red day. I'll have to remember my crackers for tomorrow.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:26 am

I wouldn't worry about red days too much, if eating more frequently helps you to feel better. How funny your iron baby refers to himself in 3rd person! My younger DS does it, too! It's hilarious! :lol:

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:27 am

Yesterday was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad Red day. I felt so tired and queasy all day, then finally broke down mid-afternoon and had some olive bread. I felt well enough to cycle home, then sick again, so ate a Cruskit when I got home. Then felt sick again, so shared some olive bread with my son at his dinner, then finished the sliced apple that he didn't eat. After he went to bed I had to go and do stationary cycling with my volunteering friend before dinner and I felt like rubbish, so I ate a slice of bread with peanut butter. Then I came home and had dinner. Bleurghhh! I felt so horrid I rang up and cancelled my Tuesday morning gym session, which then made me feel even more like rubbish about the day.

Anyway, today is a new day. I still feel like I have a hangover, but not so brutally tired as yesterday. I've got a store of salt crackers at work now, as well as lemon to slice into my water (I find this helps). I know this is hopefully only for the next 8 or so weeks, so I just need to ride it out without getting so grumpy and dispirited about everything. But I find feeling a bit emotionally out of whack is also part of what the delightful 1st trimester brings me. I think I find it extra frustrating because I am normally a fairly practical and "sunny side of the street" person, so I'm not very patient with myself being a sad sack.

Sorry for the long vent, I feel better just getting it all down. Anyway, mini S day today - my friend has been planning to bake a new lime pie recipe for a couple of weeks, so I planned to have a slice today at morning tea. Quite happy with that.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:26 am

Sorry iron--definitely sounds rough! I'm sure being pregnant makes it difficult to stick to 3 plates. Sick days are S days so I guess you'll just have to cut yourself some major slack while your growing that baby!

Hopefully the morning sickness won't last too long!

Linda

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:30 pm

That's the less nice pregnancy stage but this too shall pass. Maybe focus on your walking.

Some part of you clearly did know that you're pregnant, given your dream. Lovely.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:48 pm

I second what Linda says about yesterday being an S day! But great that you have some salt crackers at work now. Can you make the bandwidth of what is 'okay whilst in the first trimester' a bit broader so that you don't beat yourself up on top of feeling morning sick?

Your ironbaby sounds completely adorable and hilarious!!

Thanks so much for your long and helpful post on my wall :-)

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Agreed, I think that you'll definitely have to modify N Days with the pregnancy. I hope you feel better soon!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 am

Hi all,
Thanks so much for your lovely replies, I can't tell you how much it helps. I'm feeling a lot better today, mostly due to two good nights sleep; I think tiredness definitely contributes.

I don't think I can count everything as an S day, because I expect to be sick most days for the next 2 months. Yesterday and today I had 6 or 7 small meals, and felt much better, as both not eating for many hours and eating large meals make me feel sicker. So, my new plan is much more relaxed - I'm just going to drop one of the "S" rules - no Snacks. I'm still going to avoid sweets on N days, but I'm going to eat savouries as and when I want to.

I'm still walking each morning, so that's good. We just met the Elves!

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:05 pm

Great mod for your pregnancy iron chef! So important to be realistic and adaptive for our own peace of mind. :lol:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:45 am

ironchef wrote:We just met the Elves!
Love it!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 am

I'm going ok, at least sticking to savouries during the week, but other than that I can't be said to be following No S at all. My energy is just about zero most days, so I probably won't post much for the next few months, or bother keeping a HabitCal. I'll come back when I'm past the sick patch I guess.
I'll still be reading along how everyone else is doing, and I'll still be walking with those Hobbits!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:01 pm

Sounds good iron! I think it's really important to be realistic but I'll miss you. Seems like a bunch of the regulars are falling off...bummer!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 am

I definitely wouldn't worry too much about staying on track, while you're dealing with morning sickness and everything. I know doing gentle exercise really helped me during both of my pregnancies.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Best of luck with the pregnancy! I am willing to bet that you will stick with better eating habits even if you modify to meet the circumstances. It just becomes ingrained.
Maintenance is progress.

Kookie

Post by Kookie » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:19 am

Oh no iron please don't go (unless you want to!). I LOVE reading about your experience and NoS journey and this will in no way be diminished if you aren't doing Vanilla! You've done SO amazingly well with NoS (have read your testimonials) and the magic and beauty of NoS is the spirit of reasonableness and freedom whilst still maintaining some boundaries so whatever you need to do through the sickness is in keeping with NoS.

Anyway forgive me for sounding so needy ;-)

I hope the sickness passes soon...My sister-in-law is also pregnant and has just entered the second trimester after a very tough initial trimester. She now feels amazing.

:P :P

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:59 am

Thanks guys :) I'm definitely not leaving No S, or the boards, but just am giving myself permission to not post about red days or use HabitCal for the next 6 or so weeks until morning sickness abates. Partly because it seems a bit pointless (who really wants to read about me eating a hand full of dry Cheerios at 6am so I don't vomit on my morning walk? not me!) and also because I've got relatively little energy at the moment.

I'm sure, based on my experience last time, that things will turn the corner at about 14 weeks and I'll feel great.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:01 am

I hope you have a great second trimester. I know for my older DS, I was really tired my whole pregnancy. I felt better, once my OB had me take iron. I had a great second trimester with my younger DS, though! :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:54 pm

Late to the party-on-hiatus, but congrats! Hope to see you again when you feel ready.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:48 pm

ironchef, my 2nd pregnancy I was SO much sicker than the first. You mentioned fatigue made it worse. I believe that was true for me as well. Working full-time and chasing an ultra-intense and active 2 year old boy just about put me over the edge (and have i mentioned my husband was deep in the hell of his 2nd Master's Degree????) I had to snack on cheerios and lemon drops to make it through work. And I teach dissecion, lol! :)

Anyway, I guess this is your thread, not mine, hehehehe. But my point: eat whatever the hell you want to survive your pregnancy, and sleep, sleep, sleep. Maybe by the time you read this post, you'll be comfortably into the 2nd trimester!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Lol auto! I hope you are starting to feel better soon ironchef! I did hear this sickness makes for healthy babies.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:43 am

Hi all, thanks for the congrats and support :)

I'm now 12 weeks, and I'm still pretty out of whack with tiredness and feeling vaguely ill all day, but the worst of it is over I think. To be honest what I find hardest about these hormones is the grim mood they put me in. I'm generally a very sanguine and energetic person, and I deeply dislike feeling that my body is manipulating my emotions to such an extent. Part of the reason I've avoided posting is that I didn't want to spread the blackness around.

Eating wise I am still eating 6 or more times a day, and still desperate for salty carbs (mmm, soft pretzel anyone). I'm doing my best to increase the amound of freggies I'm eating, now that I'm past the stage where fruits and cold salads make me retch, so although the pattern of eating is nothing close to No S, the food will at least be more nutritious. I'll review again in a few weeks when I'm feeling better.

I'm back to walking most mornings now that I'm less ill first thing, and I'm at the point where the hobbits leave Crickhollow, now with Merry and Pippin in tow, plus ponies (yay!). I'm going to include my cycling miles for as long as they're on ponies.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:56 am

I'm glad you're past the worst of it! Yes, pregnancy hormones were not fun, to say the least. I'm glad you're able to go walking again. I'm sure it will really help.

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:59 pm

Congrats on your pregnancy! Hope you get past the queasies soon. In the meantime, be gentle with yourself as far as No-S.

(And just figured out the walking thing - awesome!)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 pm

Good to hear you are doing well!
Maintenance is progress.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:07 am

I've decided it is time to get back on the No S horse.
I'm starting off small, as I've always advised other posters to do when they're struggling. At present my goals are:
1. No sweets on week days
2. No snacking between breakfast and lunch. If I need to eat between lunch and dinner that's fine.

Today's my first day without a morning snack and it's been shockingly hard. I've been hungry since about 9:30. I just made myself a milky decaf coffee and it doesn't seem to have had any impact. I've only got 1 more hour until I can get some lunch, so I'm posting here for accountability. Even in just 2 months, I've obviously trained my body to expect snacks, so it isn't going to be that easy weaning myself back off them again.

I'm walking every morning. I've started reading "ChiWalking" and incorporating the concepts into my walk. I've also started pre-natal yoga on most Saturdays, which I love. I'm incorporating some yoga into my morning routine along with the walking, and I'm hoping to step that up over the next few weeks. This is going to mean getting up another 1/2 hour earlier, but I think it will be worth it.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:25 am

No sweets and no snacking from breakfast to lunch went ok last week.

This week I've added back in no snacking after lunch. I think there will be heavy reliance on milky drinks while I get back to this again. I'm leaving open the option of a 5pm mini-meal after I get home from work if I am very hungry / headachy. I hope to drop this over time.

I'm also back to cycling to work again. It was really tough this morning, as it is now summer here and quite hot. I can't believe how much cycling fitness I've lost over the past two months.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:36 am

Hi ironchef!
I really liked that "ChiWalking" book. I think I read that just about a year ago.

Also, I just want to continue the encouragement for you to be gentle with yourself during this time. It appears to me that you are pushing hard to get "control" over yourself--whether it's your attitude, your fitness, or your eating times. There's of course virtue in discipline, but I do hope you treat yourself as you would a dear friend going through what you are dealing with.

Getting up a half hour early sounds potentially very challenging during a pregnancy, especially one in which you're also cycling to work AND coming home to an energetic toddler.

Hope I don't sound too bossy--my intent is to support you, not to tempt you away from your particular goals.

Are you going to find out if you're having a boy or a girl this time?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:07 am

Hey auto - you don't sound bossy, you sound caring, which I really appreciate :)

We'll definitely find out the sex - we did last time. We got them to write it down on a piece of paper for us at the scan, then went out for a fancy dinner together to open the envelope (like the Oscars!). It was really lovely and we'll probably do exactly the same again.

Am I pushing to hard, hmm, maybe? Definitely something to be mindful of. I'm keen to concentrate on gentle exercise (walking, yoga), in the hope that it will help me improve my mood. Not exercising and overeating the past few months hasn't made me feel like I'm caring for myself, it's made me feel more down. The other thing (which is a bit silly) that is driving me nuts at the moment is my house and garden - clutter / dirt has built up while I've been flaked out. On the one hand I get stressed just looking at it all, but on the other hand I don't want to push myself too hard on house and yard work either. Feels like in every aspect of living it's hard to strike the right balance at the moment.

In other news, mr chef has a permanent part-time teaching job for next year! This has been REALLY hard to find (they want people full time or not at all) and we are both really pleased and relieved.

I'm now riding ponies through the Old Forest the day after the hobbits left Crickhollow :) For the days when they have ponies, I'm counting my cycling miles, so I should get along a bit faster!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:36 am

Hi! I love the way you're going to find out the sex of your baby! How fun! I agree with continuing with the gentle exercise. I exercised throughout both of my pregnancies (just walking and low impact aerobics), and it definitely helped! I wouldn't worry too much about the house and yard. There will be plenty of time for that, after the baby is born. Great news about your husband, and the part time teaching job!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:33 pm

Just wishing a Happy New Year!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:41 am

Thanks oolala! Happy New Year to you :)

Today being New Year's Day I am having a few left over Christmas treats. Friday I am back to No S and Monday 5th I am back to work. Hope everyone has had wonderful holidays.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Happy New Year ironchef and belated congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope all goes well for you and that you find a gentle path back to where you want to be in terms of exercise, eating habits and home maintenance/organization.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:19 am

Thanks gingerpie :)

Monday, 5th Jan
Green so far for eating
Green for exercise (cycled to work)

I'm going to record more vigilantly for a few weeks, as there have been a lot of S days and fails recently and sloppiness has set in.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:29 pm

Managed a completely green and strict Mon 5th Jan.
Onwards to Tuesday! Off for a walk with my dog, so green for exercise already :)

Funny sayings from my son this week:
Ironbaby: Mummy, I'm a sheep
Me: Oh, I thought you were a boy
Ironbaby: I'm a sheep with no wool.

Ironbaby (putting his blankie on the bike seat): Here are the ruggies, riding to work.
Me: What do those ruggies do at work all day?
Ironbaby: They build block towers and knock them down again.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:11 pm

Happy New Year ironchef!

What a wonderful year it will be for you indeed :)

I am a big fan of ironbaby.

I hope your mood has improved with going back to NoS? It sounds like you are doing very well. Not having been pregnant before I can only imagine it must be very very hard to get through the morning sickness part and I follow your NoS commitment with interest. I always thought all bets are off during pregnancy but happy to see that's not necessarily the case for all days.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:25 pm

Happy New Year eschano, lovely to "see" you.

I'm one of the lucky ones I guess, in that my horrid illness and mood only lasts from about 6 - 14 weeks. Some people are sick the whole time, while other people are very fortunate and get no sickness at all.

I'm pretty sure you're not meant to diet while pregnant, but since No S is such a moderate WOE, I guess it's ok.

Tuesday - Green for exercise and eating. Turned down: left over Christmas chocolates at work, rocky road and plum cake at my mother's house. It's amazing when I go back to being really strict, I notice all over again how MANY eating opportunities our culture gives us!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:22 pm

Wednesday - green for No S. Green for exercise - swimming with my son.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:22 pm

It's so true about the eating opportunities! Although, I often find January slightly better as everyone seems to be on diets (for a month or so).
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:45 pm

Happy New Year to you! It sounds like you're doing well. I love all of Iron Baby's funny sayings! :D

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:35 pm

Thursday green for No S, green for exercise (walking).
I'm excited, if I can just get through Friday this will be my first completely green week in a while.

Walk-wise, I'm just arriving in Bree ;)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:09 pm

Friday green for eating. Green for exercise - walking and a swim with my son.

I'm really pleased to complete my first completely green week in a while. It feels like things are much easier lately, so I'm going to enjoy the ride :)

Spent a difficult day yesterday with my cousin who is visiting from another state. She is struggling with an eating disorder. She's a Pilates instructor who is into raw, gluten free, dairy free, organic etc etc, and sadly instead of making her healthier, this has gotten her to her lowest weight of 40kg. She is under the care of a doctor in her home city, but honestly, she looks just the same as the last time I saw her 3 months ago. Although it was lovely to spend time with someone I love, there was also a lot of stress and sadness. I'm deeply grateful that I've come to a way of eating that gets me away from the diets I spent so long on. I feel like yesterday I saw the darkest side of the obsession with nutrition.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:09 pm

A relatively sane weekend, quite a few small snacks, and a few slices of homemade banana bread, but otherwise pretty low key. I got a 20 minute foot massage on Saturday morning (my Sat yoga hasn't started again yet), so I am keeping my "nurture" resolution.

My anatomy scan is today (20 week scan), so we'll get the envelope and go out to dinner tonight to open it together and find out if we're having a boy or girl. Very excited to have the scan today and make sure all is going well with Bub #2. So, dinner tonight is an S event (in case we want to share something or have a dessert), but otherwise today is a normal N day.

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:58 am

What fun. Anxious to hear the news !!!!!
Berry

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:11 am

What an exciting day!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:17 am

Thanks ladies!

Looks like a little girl this time :)

All was well with the anatomy scan (fingers and toes in the right places!). Bub was spot on the expected size and weight, and moving around nicely. My placenta is in front of bub, so I might not feel movement for a few more weeks.

Had a normal N day yesterday, but with a shared tasting plate at dinner and a scoop of Baci gelato afterwards. Delicious. I love No S - the sensation of really savouring a treat with zero guilt is still delightful to me, after so many years of diets / guilt.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:44 am

Congratulations! You're going to have so much fun with ironbaby I and II :)

I know what you mean with the guilt. I sometimes vaguely remember the days of complete self-loathing post-dessert. Not a place I want to go back to.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:35 am

Thanks eschano. It will be fun, but a challenge.

All green so far this week for No S. Went walking this morning (walks are still patchy - need to get back in a rhythm).

Recent Ironbaby recent:
Ironbaby (wrapping rugs around himself): I've got my wool back, now I'm a real sheep!

Ironbaby: Mummy, I've lost my happiness. I left it behind at the beach.
Me: Happiness is a feeling, darling, it's not a toy that can be left behind. It's how we feel when everything is how we like it, or when we do something we enjoy or see people we love. It's the opposite of feeling sad.
Ironbaby: Uh huh, ok Mummy, but my happiness has gotten lost at the beach.

This final one is a bit gross...
Ironbaby (on the toilet): Mummy, what's that poo shaped like.
Me: ! (speechless, trying not to laugh).
Ironbaby: It's like a caterpillar that's getting wet!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:13 am

Red Day Thurs 15th. Failed to bring enough lunch (no bread left at home) and was hungry and headachey by mid afternoon at work. Went out a bought a small brioche roll and a decaf coffee. Sitting feeling sick for the rest of the work day didn't seem like a good option. A conscious fail, and now I'm working hard to avoid WTH effect for the rest of today.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:54 am

Ironchef, I saw you are having a little girl and had to tell you how I smiled when I read that. It reminded me of finding out when I was pregnant. Little girls might just be the best thing ever :D I'm a little biased ;) Such wonderful news. Also, I have to ask, how old is your little boy and how did you make him so smart!? He sounds so advanced compared to my nephew who is about 2.5 years and doesn't talk yet. Did you do anything special - any pointers for me? Excellent job on all fronts - such an inspiration.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:33 pm

Sinnie wrote:Ironchef, I saw you are having a little girl and had to tell you how I smiled when I read that. It reminded me of finding out when I was pregnant.
Thanks Sinnie :)
Little girls might just be the best thing ever :D I'm a little biased ;)
Well, I'd say the same about little boys, but of course, wouldn't change this new little one for the world.
Also, I have to ask, how old is your little boy and how did you make him so smart!? He sounds so advanced compared to my nephew who is about 2.5 years and doesn't talk yet. Did you do anything special - any pointers for me? Excellent job on all fronts - such an inspiration.
Ironbaby is 2.5, so really not a baby anymore. He'll be 3 when #2 arrives.

My theory of children (totally not based on any expertise!) is that they move at different paces in a bunch of skills. So, one kid might be an early walker but a late talker, or another kid is quiet and doesn't move at 18 months, but can eat a full roast dinner with all the trimmings ;) Unless a child falls outside of the normal (and usually broad) range for their age, I don't get too worried. It will all even out in the end.

What have we done with Ironbaby? Well, we read to him, ever since he was born this is part of his going to bed routine. And other times of day as well. We don't stick exclusively to "age range" books, I don't like this trend of giving babies only books that are tactile / hectic colours / made of cardboard. We've got plenty of that type of thing, but books are not the same as "toys" and babies can enjoy the calm of sitting back for an "older" book too. for example we recently read him A Wind in the Willows, in short stages. He of course doesn't understand it all, but he can grasp basic plot, and the language is so beautiful and flowing that it just washes over him. I have heard him quote bits that he finds funny, so at least something is sinking in.

Other than that, we talk to and with him a lot - as you can tell I'm a bit wordy :). And I try hard to couple praise with giving him the "next step". So, when he was tiny and said "nana", I'd say "That's right darling! Ba-nana". And once he said "Banana", I'd say "Brilliant! I'm eating a banana".

I'm also a fan of the "Brain Rules for Babies" book, specifically the thing about "no screens before 2", however I'm not sure how practical that will be with #2, because we do have some PlaySchool now in the evening routine.

Anyway, there is my vast sample size of 1! Take from it what you will :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Congratulations on having a little girl! I imagine it would be fun to have one of each (but I wouldn't trade my boys for anything :D ). It sounds like you're doing well. :D

eschano

Post by eschano » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:44 am

ironchef wrote: Other than that, we talk to and with him a lot - as you can tell I'm a bit wordy :). And I try hard to couple praise with giving him the "next step". So, when he was tiny and said "nana", I'd say "That's right darling! Ba-nana". And once he said "Banana", I'd say "Brilliant! I'm eating a banana".
Anyway, there is my vast sample size of 1! Take from it what you will :)
What a brilliant approach! So encouraging yet challenging him to learn new things. Love it.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Such great advice Ironchef. Thank you for taking the time to post all that. You should feel so proud - you really know what you're doing. I am going to try implementing some older books too I(although last night it didn;t quite work out, she just wanted to get off me and had no interest :() I will keep trying! Thanks again! Oh, and I do LOVE little boys too. I can't get enough of my nephew and see him everyday!!!