check out heavyhands

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
scott

check out heavyhands

Post by scott » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:10 pm

I just started shuging, and I find it to be a real burner. I've done a lot of research into various types of training, k-bells, etc. If anyone wants to find out the scientific reasons shovelglove works, they should read Heavyhands by Leonard Schwarts MD. I would definitely classify shovelglove as panaerobic excercise.
Not only does the book illustrate the benefits of weighted-arm movements, but, to prove that anything that can be thought of has already been done, there is a description of a shoveling excercise, using a shovel with weight attached, and this book was writted in the 80's.
Great site. For a guy who was never "into" excercise other than martial arts training, shovelglove will open new doors to my functional strength, which is very important for defensive tactics.
"What rules? We're trying to accomplish something here."

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:50 pm

Welcome, Scott!

I've briefly looked at heavyhands before (I think someone posted it here). It does look intriguing.

Here's the home page if anyone else is curious:

http://www.heavyhandsfitness.com/

I like the idea of "panaerobics" and its anglo saxon equivalent "longstrength." Great terms, and certainly applicable to shovelglove.

My one concern is precedent: urban ranger and shovelglove reproduce (with varying degrees of fidelity) age old movements and behaviors. Heavyhands is a bit more of a stretch... but I'll look into it some more. The fact that the inventor has been doing for decades and is now almost 80 and ripped is impressive.

I find the site a tad difficult to navigate... if you know of a single page that describes all the fundamentals, please post the link.

Reinhard

scott

Post by scott » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm not suggesting replacing shovelglove...but the scientific principles of Heavyhands definitely seem to apply. I don't know of an all-encompassing web page, but i purchased the book off amazon, used, for about 75 cents. What is interesting as well, is that this book also contains the swinging movement that can be found in kettlebell training.

Now, what i find most appealing about shovelglove: It is interesting! I've already created movements of my own (rowing: hold shovelgove so that head comes out bottom of fist of right hand, left hand holds the other end, just like holding a canoe paddle (should probably refer to this as paddling), and paddle away, making sure to bring the head of shovelglove back past hip and then circle forward horizontally), and I just have a ball doing it. I started with a 10 pounder, and find I have to change exercises a bit sooner than you suggest, but I end up doing more different excercises, just less reps.

Has anyone ever thought of doing shovelglove moves in reverse? I'm going to try a few to see what happens...seems like a good way to work both sides of a movement.

thanks again for a great idea to get a tired out of shape cop motivated to get back in shape.
"What rules? We're trying to accomplish something here."

Kevin

Heavyhands...

Post by Kevin » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:25 pm

Wow. I still have a pair of these from the early 80s, along with one pound and two pound screw-on weights!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

StrengthEndurance

New "Panaerobics"/"Longstrength" SIte

Post by StrengthEndurance » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:00 am

Hi, I am the curator of a blog about HH, panaerobics and long strength. I have read about the "shovel glove" before here, but am a bit fixated on Dr. Schwartz' work. After HeavyHands he did more in the way of bodyweight exercises and even self-resistance exercises both performed with the same principles as the heavy hands...

1. Four Limb Simultaneous Action
2. Enough repetition and time to create an aerobic response
3. Enough resistance to build strength as long as it was strength that could be used "at length" instead of a one time burst.

Unfortunately the "longstrength" calisthenics and self-resistance work (called by him "IsoTonoMetrics") didn't make it into publication before his death. And the websites that discussed his work are now defunct or no longer updated.

To remedy that I have tried to do some recent writing on the subject at a blog you may find useful. I do it mostly to chronicle my own discoveries and keep myself motivated... I've lost about 70 lbs in recent months and try to do all my exercise using the above principles.

If interested, you may wish to check out http://strengthendurance.wordpress.com...

If any long time HeavyHands users find this post, please stop by and tell about your experience!

The exercises I do on some "heavy" days are with 9.5lb heavy hands. Maybe once I figure out how to use them, I can advance to the SHOVEL GLOVE! :)

PS As I was checking my books, I realized that in addition to Heavy Hands, Dr. S had tried to come up with a connection for 2 heavyhands that made it a longer implement. One reason for that was because as you'll find in his book the "shoveling" movement you describe on the first page of "Shovel Glove". He also found a movement related to swinging a sledgehammer downward to be one of the most "aerobic" around. He called it "Double Ski Poling" and he eventually worked up to 23% of his body weight in that exercise and could keep it going for 2 hours! Whew!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:53 am

That link you provided, SE, got me this message: Safari can’t open the page “http://strengthendurance.wordpress.com.../†because Safari can’t find the server “strengthendurance.wordpress.com...â€. Does wordpress have something against Apple?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

StrengthEndurance

Post by StrengthEndurance » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:50 am

I tried the link and it worked fine... strengthendurance.wordpress.com ... But it's hard to tell what wordpress.com "wants" some times!

kayvan

Post by kayvan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:17 am

oolala53 wrote:That link you provided, SE, got me this message: Safari can’t open the page “http://strengthendurance.wordpress.com.../†because Safari can’t find the server “strengthendurance.wordpress.com...â€. Does wordpress have something against Apple?
It's probably because of the extra "..." at the end of .com.

Use this: http://strengthendurance.wordpress.com
Father, Husband, Writer, Software Geek.