When to go up a size?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
storm fox

When to go up a size?

Post by storm fox » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:16 am

Just like the title says. When do you know to move up say, from a 12 to a 16? I don't need to be told exactly when, because I'm fairly certain it's not possible to tell through forum posts. Are there any guidelines or rough estimates?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:20 pm

I'd say give each weight at least a solid year of habitcal "medal" level compliance (90%+).

This is both to build habit (which will be sorely challenged when all of a sudden things get surprisingly harder) and to build strength so you can physically handle it.

Think of the upgrade is a *reward* for good compliance which you have to earn instead of something you rush into our of guilt or hubris before you're ready. Better too late than too early.

There's no rush -- as many (including you!) here have pointed out, the magic of leverage and momentum can make even lighter weights plenty hard.

I waited a year before my first upgrade (12->16) and several years before my second (16->20). It's been circa five years now and I don't think there's ever going to be third, unless it's octogenarian me going down a weight.

Reinhard

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:55 pm

When you can swing that bad boy continuously with vim and vigor for 15 minutes, without breathing hard.

But you're right, there's no magic rule. If you go up "too soon" you'll just choke up on the handle and swing more slowly for a while.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

twa2w

Post by twa2w » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:13 pm

You can also build the heavier weight in gradually - ie start the first 5 minutes with the heavier weight or end the workout with the heavier weight and gradually increase the time. Or do one workout the first week with the heavier weight , then a couple of workouts the next week etc. Lots of ways to do it including as mentioned, going slower, choking up, less range of motion etc.
You can always upgrade now and see how it feels - if it is too much, put it aside for a month or so and try again. The hammer won't go bad adn it is realtivley cheap. you could even buy it try it and return it to the store if it doesn't work yet.

Cheers
J

fungus

Post by fungus » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:18 pm

Kevin wrote:When you can swing that bad boy continuously with vim and vigor for 15 minutes, without breathing hard.
Pretty much sums it up...

yoozer

Post by yoozer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:25 pm

FWIW, I finally got round to adding some weight to my trusty 10-pound shovelglove. I got a 1kg (2lb) diving weight and lashed it to the side before rewrapping.
I didn't think it it would make that much difference, but boy was I wrong. The thing feels *much* heavier. I've just finished my routine and my arms are almost dropping off, and I had to take it quite a bit slower. I have another 1kg weight I bought at the same time, with a view to balancing the other one, but I think it will be quite a while before I add the second weight.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Yep. Choke up for a while. You'll feel better in a week.
yoozer wrote:FWIW, I finally got round to adding some weight to my trusty 10-pound shovelglove. I got a 1kg (2lb) diving weight and lashed it to the side before rewrapping.
I didn't think it it would make that much difference, but boy was I wrong. The thing feels *much* heavier. I've just finished my routine and my arms are almost dropping off, and I had to take it quite a bit slower. I have another 1kg weight I bought at the same time, with a view to balancing the other one, but I think it will be quite a while before I add the second weight.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

fungus

Post by fungus » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:00 am

yoozer wrote: I didn't think it it would make that much difference, but boy was I wrong.
Yep, know that feeling.

Don't worry, you'll be used to it much sooner then you believed possible.

Sixty

When to go up a size?

Post by Sixty » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:19 am

I've now been shovelgloving for a couple of years with a high level of compliance. I just roll out of bed in the morning and do it - the habit is pretty ingrained.

I started with a 6kg sledgehammer and immediately began thinking about moving up to a heavier hammer. But Reinhard said give it a year before moving up a size, and I discovered that I get pretty good results with 6kg hammer. I can vary the intensity of the workout just by changing my grip or putting in more reps during the same period of time.

So now I'm happy with the hammer as it is, letting "the minimum be the maximum." I have no interest in bulking up - I just want a healthy back and sufficient strength for martial arts and day-to-day chores. Shovelglove is perfect for this.

Sixty

Post by Sixty » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:43 pm

Well, after thinking about it for 4 or 5 years, I increased the weight on my shovelglove about 20% from 6.3kg to 7.6kg.

A few months ago I shifted my workout routine from the early morning to right after work. I find that I can exercise at a higher intensity in the afternoons, which made the shovelglove feel much lighter, if that makes any sense.

I'll take it easy the next few weeks to see how my body adjusts to the additional weight.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:22 pm

That sounds like about the right amount of time!

Hope things are going well -- let us know!

Sixty

Post by Sixty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi Reinhard,

Thanks for dropping in every now and then to see how the troups are doing.

I took it easy the first 4-5 days with the new weight, basically doing my workout in slow-motion. Even though the shovelglove was only 20% heavier, it felt MUCH heavier, like 50% more than the old shovelglove.

On the 5th or 6th day I picked up the pace, and did my old routine with the new weight. I felt fine right after the training, but the next day I was completely exhausted and struggled all day to keep my eyes open.

I'm now getting used to the new weight - it feels like more than before, but not SO much heavier.

I'll give it a couple of years to see if the new weight is appropriate.

Sixty

Post by Sixty » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:54 pm

I found that the added weight made the Shovelglove more cumbersome to use, and so I started using it less and less. So now I've removed the extra weight and am back with my original shovelglove, and find it fun to use again.