hi everyone

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Manishavyas

hi everyone

Post by Manishavyas » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:52 pm

hi , i joined the forum in june last year and have made a couple of half hearted attempts at doing the no s diet .
i guess i have never been able to stick to any eating plan for long .
what i am asking is ..is there any hope for a 38 year mom of two kids who is more than 80 pounds over weight ?.
i would appreciate any feedback on how effective no s is .
thanks a lot in advance to everyone.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:21 pm

Yes, it's effective.

No, it is not magic. If you follow the rules of the diet, but binge on the weekends, and things like that, you probably will not lose weight. It is also very desirable to do some exercise as well (check out Urban Ranger)

I have another thread that can set some expectations, but the short answer is that I'm a short, middle-aged, very overweight woman with a history of yo-yo dietings and if I get enough exercise (about four hours a week), I can pretty much count on losing a half a pound a week. SLLLLOOOOWWWW, but steady. And unobtrusive.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:46 pm

thank you for your reply ..it gives a realistic picture..thanks

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:36 pm

You ask if there is any hope for you. What do you mean by hope?

Will you eventually be able to change your eating habits? Sure. You just have to keep practicing the new habits. Don't think of your previous efforts as half hearted attempts, think of them as practice.

Practice, practice, practice.

Do you mean will you lose a lot of weight quickly and easily while eating whatever you want?

No, of course not.

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:26 am

thank you for the reply.puts things in perspective.i guess when i say is there any hope , i mean that with a lot of weight to lose , can the simple premise of the no s diet help .
but i agree a change in habit is a step in the right direction.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:29 am

Yes, the simple premise of NoS works! I lost 50+ pounds (starting at age 48, after 5 kids!)--you can do it!

Take a look through the testimonial boards--you'll be heartily encouraged by the success stories of real people, living full lives, reaching healthy weights while enjoying the process. :D
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:16 am

Hi vmsurbat those are amazing results. Also the fact that you are maintaining the loss. Thanks so much for the encouragement and inspiration

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Of course there is hope for you! :) There are folks here with all sorts of different histories but we all have food and/or weight issues. Otherwise we wouldn't be here.

The idea is simple but the application can be quite challenging. The key is to be both persistent and consistent. If you fail, don't perseverate just note the mistake and move on.

Oh, and treating yourself kindly is also very important. My general rule of thumb is, "If you wouldn't say it to a friend, don't say it to yourself. "

Good luck and welcome to our happy little group.

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:43 pm

thanks gingerpie. starting with new hope .thanks for all the support and encouragement.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:58 am

Welcome!!
You're gonna like it here!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:05 pm

I'm starting anew, too, after several failed attempts at NoS. The last few times I tried Nos, I was missing a crucial ingredient that I now know I need to implement it successfully: common sense. I was following the letter of the NoS rules without following the spirit of them. I would fill my plate the most fattening foods possible for every meal and pig out on weekends (part of this was post-diet rebellion, by the way). As was to be expected, I didn't lose weight. Maybe I even would have lost with that if I had stuck to it more than two weeks, though (some longtime NoSers have said not to worry about what is on your plates initially; they say that establishing the habit is most important and the portion sizes and choices will become more reasonable over time). This time, I realize that being a 47 yo, 5 ft 3 woman, I need to be more moderate. I allow myself all that I love---pasta, homemade mac & cheese, homemade bread---but I have a small portion of it as part of my meal, which must also include veggies (luckily, I love veggies). I also realize that I cannot go hog wild on the weekends and expect to lose weight. Finally, even beyond all the thoughts of weight loss and maintenance, my focus is on habits, and that means having patience with the process. I will not do this for just 2 weeks and then bail. I'm committed to at least two months. I even started using the HabitCal, and believe it or not, it has been a nice motivational tool.

With a little common sense, I know I can do this, and you can, too!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:57 pm

Two weeks is certainly not long enough to get any benefit at all out of No-S. In fact, I think it's way the devil too soon to worry about plate content. Habit first. Seriously. Yes, yes, yes, fill your plate with veggie if you like them (I do!)

I spent a year on it a few years ago, and it was wonderful (I fell off due to illness and then Life happening. I think that it would have been better had I not done that).

I lost 22 lbs that year. Very slow. But more than the loss, what I learned was amazing. I enjoy food more than ever on NO-S v. any other way, including non-restricted eating. I love how socially unobtrusive it is, and I like its flexibility.

But the biggest thing you should take away is that a No-S trial really needs to be many months before you need to evaluate or tweak. (For what it's worth, I thought I needed all kinds of tweaks when what I really needed was exercise and time)
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:18 am

thank you lin47..you have given some good insights into the whole philosophy of the diet..as also noelfigart..
i have had 4 days on this and only one green day..just goes to show how far i have to go :?
i guess building the habit should be my number 1 priority..and it will take time.
i would appreciate any advice veterans could pass on towards that.
also has anyone done calorie counting ..i mean really crunched the numbers of everything you put on your plate..along with no s.?
good luck with your efforts lin47

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:20 am

thank you walkerlori..for the warm welcome

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:58 pm

Hi gingerpie..thanks for your reply..my weak spot is the same as yours..snacking in the evenings especially when I am stressed or just bored.otherwise I cook at home..90 percent of my meals are home cooked and I eat mostly indian vegetarian food. I guess I will try to get the habit down first . Thanks again for your advice and warm support.

Dale

Post by Dale » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:18 pm

I've done calorie counting on and off, because I've felt I've needed a bit more control over my intake. (I could easily maintain rather than lose on No S). However, at the beginning, when I had a lot to lose, No S alone was just fine.

At the moment, I'm quite careful with portion control. As has been said, it's not magical, and I know I can't eat the same three plates as a large, young, very active man! Or even the same three plates as I could at the beginning of my weight loss! So I've become pretty good at eyeballing what's an appropriate amount of food for me. No S works well as a template, and you can combine other things with it if you want (low-carb, calorie counting, plant-based, etc).

But I would like to emphasise that at the beginning, I just used No S on its own and I did lose weight. In fact, I deliberately had bigger portions to start with, to make sure I felt I'd eaten enough and didn't panic about the next meal! Hot milky drinks were a godsend if I felt hungry in the evenings. You say you are a lot of overweight - so was I, but if anything it was easier to lose weight the more overweight I was!

Good luck with it. Don't worry about having tried and not stuck to it before - just count those as trial runs and practice :).

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:34 pm

Thank you dale ..I will remember the tip about hot milky drinks .. :) . Hope to post some positive results soon. I guess the priority is to build up the habit and to give myself some time. If you don't mind sharing..how much did u lose per week on average, in the beginning ? Thanks again

Dale

Post by Dale » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:20 pm

To be honest, I can't remember! It wasn't anything dramatic - probably somewhere between 1/2lb and 1lb. I consider a rate of 1/2lb a week to be good.

So I suppose that's important to - to be prepared for slow loss. You won't necessarily see a difference from week to week. I prefer to look at the picture over months.

Another thing I try to do is have some protein at every meal, because apparently it helps to make you feel satieted. So I might have some nuts, beans, lentils, eggs, greek yoghurt, etc., whatever fits in with what I want to eat.

Now this bit is quite personal, so don't take it on board unless you feel it suits you! I found that Habitcal, and tracking the habit in general was a bit counterproductive for me. You just made me think of that when you said that you'd only had one green day. I'd find that I'd often have days with a little slip-up - for instance, eating the food while I was cooking it - that would end up being a red day, and I'd feel disheartened. But although I hadn't stuck to the diet to the letter, it was still close enough and I was losing weight. For some people it might suit them to always follow it to the letter, but for me, it made me feel I was failing. Now I just aim for close enough.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:44 pm

Dale wrote:I'd find that I'd often have days with a little slip-up - for instance, eating the food while I was cooking it - that would end up being a red day, and I'd feel disheartened. But although I hadn't stuck to the diet to the letter, it was still close enough and I was losing weight. For some people it might suit them to always follow it to the letter, but for me, it made me feel I was failing. Now I just aim for close enough.
This mindset is important to any attempt to change long-established habits, IMHO. I am a perfectionist, and anecdotally, I've found that many long-term "dieters" are as well. Some time ago, I realized that i tend to give up far too easily if I don't achieve perfection at whatever I want to do. Knowing that has been the single most helpful realization that I've had. When I get discouraged and just want to throw in the towel, I think to myself, "Persistance, not perfection." I realize that those who succeed are those who keep putting one food in front of the other. It was eye-opening for me to read the testimonies, and realize that those who have been doing NoS for years still have red days. I gather that those become fewer and fewer the more you practice the habits, but the point is that they move on from those red days, not using them as a reason to give up.

Dale

Post by Dale » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:01 am

I think the thing for me was realising that it didn't matter too much. Those minor things (say, under 50 calories) don't really interfere with your weight loss. The trouble for me (and it is just me, I'm just speaking personally) was the habitcal counted a minor deviation in an otherwise perfect day as as big a "fail" as a huge binge. There was no sense of degree. And there was the danger of it encouraging a sense of "well, this day is a failure now, so there's no point in trying". Obviously the wrong mind-set to have, but for me, the problem was solved by not using the habitcal! At the moment, I keep a diary instead, and that works very well for me.

But I may go back to the habitcal at some point. I think different things work for us at different points.

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:28 am

fantastic insight by both of you.kind of mirrors my own concern about my mindset which is that a minor slip soon snowballs out of control. Another thing I have noticed in my experience is my tendency to load up my plate especially at lunch because Of a long gap between that and dinner. Maybe I will divide my intake into four evenly spaced meals and see how that goes.
Thanks again for the help and advise

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:26 am

I do think people do have to find what works for them.

Honestly? I don't even COUNT a bite of red pepper or a lettuce leaf when I'm prepping dinner. (Slice of bread or something, YEAH, that counts) I try not to do it for habit's sake, and I'll often have something (*cough*glassofwine*cough*) to sip on when cooking to prevent that -- again PURELY for HABIT's sake, HONEST.

Writing off a whole day after a slip-up is a challenge for many, and it can be hard.

For people that have overcome that sort of thinking, what do you think helps?
------

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:20 pm

i have one more question for the forum.
if i were to take a poll..what would you recommend..sticking it out with 3 meals a day till it gets easier or adding a fourth meal sometimes in the mid afternoon or evening as that is the hardest time for me sticking to the plan.
i agree everyone has to do what works for them but i would still appreciate everyones feedback

lin47

Post by lin47 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 pm

NoelFigart wrote:For people that have overcome that sort of thinking, what do you think helps?
I probably shouldn't answer this because I still battle that kind of thinking, but I find what really helps is to talk back to the negative voice in my head. If I find myself thinking, "Well, one little bit won't hurt" or "I've already gone off track so I might as well just start anew tomorrow and forget today," I stop that thinking in its tracks. I call it what it is---destructive rationalization, and I substitute positive thoughts: "That one bit will hurt because it hurts my attempt to establish the habit" or "So, I've had a slip-up. The rest of the day went great, though, so overall, this is a win for me. I'll get back on track right now."

lin47

Post by lin47 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:26 pm

Manishavyas wrote:i have one more question for the forum.
if i were to take a poll..what would you recommend..sticking it out with 3 meals a day till it gets easier or adding a fourth meal sometimes in the mid afternoon or evening as that is the hardest time for me sticking to the plan.
i agree everyone has to do what works for them but i would still appreciate everyones feedback
Maybe some seasoned NoSers will chime in here, but from what I've read on these boards and heard on Reinhardt's podcasts, vanilla NoS is the best way to go. However, I would think that if the three meals seems too difficult a thought for you right now, establish the 4-meal a day habit and see how that goes. I think the most important thing is establishing a habit and sticking with it.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:52 pm

Manishavyas wrote:i have one more question for the forum.
Seriously? If it's really hard to have three meals a day and they're spaced out reasonably well, I genuinely think eating bigger meals at first and trying for those three meals a day is the way to go. (Ya know, vanilla No-S)

It is not unusual at all for chronic dieters to get in the habit of eating these itty bitty meals then being astonished when they need snacks because they're uncomfortably hungry hours before the next meal. It is sooo hard to trust eating a full meal at first for many people.

To give you an idea (this is how I actually eat and I'm losing about half a pound a week)

Breakfast: My typical breakfast is EITHER a bowl oatmeal made with about a cup of oatmeal (that's TWO servings), a couple of tablespoons each of nuts, seeds and dried fruit; OR two pieces of bacon, two scrambled eggs and a medium-sized apple. That's about right to take me to lunch.

Lunch: Often a sandwich with meat, cheese, mayo and lettuce, about 1/2 cup sliced veggies, 1/4 c fruit and 1/4 c of hummus to dip the veggies in.

Dinner: It varies, but a not too unusual meal would be some sort of meat sauteed in either a wine or fruit juice based saute to deglaze the pan, a whole bunch of steamed or sauteed veggies with either butter or melted cheese and a potato, rice or some pasta. I do eyeball portions a bit, and make an effort for about half the plate to be veggies (maybe with some fruit thrown in, if I want it). Half a plate of veggies is going to fill you up pretty well if combined with some meat. I eat the pasta and other starches because I like them, but I do try to make sure that they're not the largest portion on my plate.

This is a long way from packet of instant oatmeal, the salad with low fat dressing, which would have me wanting to gnaw my own arm off by dinnertime and the baked chicken breast with microwaved veggies that was my staple fare of my days when I was trying to get skinny enough not to be kicked out of ballet.

Eating three meals a day without going nuts means you're going to actually eat those three squares that the last thirty years have tried to teach you are terrible for you. They're totally not. They won't get you ballet skinny, I won't lie. But with appropriate activity, you will lose to a healthy weight.
------

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:01 pm

thank you lin47 and noelfigart..your replies make a lot of sense..

Dale

Post by Dale » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:16 pm

I agree - I would go for just three meals at first, but make them bigger if necessary. For me that was as much psychological, as physical (hunger) - if I'd had a big breakfast and felt hungry mid-morning, it was somehow comforting just to know that I'd had plenty to eat! Further down the line, I find that I don't need big meals after all, but I think it's a good way to get into the habit.

I also found that I got really used to not eating between meals, once I'd got a good routine. It helped me to have my meals at pretty much the same time every day. Recently, it hasn't always been possible to do that, and it does make life more difficult. If you can get your timing right, though, I think it makes it a lot easier. I find 5 hours between meals is easy (and another 5 hours in the evening without a meal before bedtime). After 5 hours, it starts to get harder.

I think it also helps to have meals that you enjoy - food that you can look forward to and feel satisfied with. If I was starting from the beginning, I'd maybe spend a bit extra on foods I don't normally have and make each meal a proper treat - colourful and delicious.

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:44 am

thanks for the replies everyone..took allyour suggestions on board and had a slightly larger breakfast with mostly proteins and carbs ..also pushed lunch to an hour later than usual (waited to get really hungry)..and it seems easier today..
will be sticking to 3 meals and at this point i could do with a lighter dinner than usual is the feel i am getting.
wish me luck :)

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:43 am

its been one week in today and now i dont miss the snacks anymore..the thought of seconds still hasnt crossed my mind..i had a NWS day today ..bought my favorite dessert and had it for breakfast . I was planning to have cheese toast with it but couldnt finish the toast because i was so full after a few bites..couldnt bear to stuff myself by going further...i had 2 red days in all.
though its too early thought i would share my baby steps with all the supportive people who took the time to post replies to my thread.
thanks everyone

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:05 am

Baby steps are the best kind. They will get you where you want to go. Congratulations on your first week. :)

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Thanks for the good update! You are on your way. :)
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:00 am

thank you gingerpie and vmsurbat..your encouragement and support means a lot

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:18 pm

hi everyone ..its been 20 days in and i am happy to report a loss of six pounds..
more important has been the freedom from constant snacking and /or calorie counting..i do well on 3 meals a day now ..
i also started counting bites inspired by a post by herbsgirl ..and it was eye opening.i mean we really dont need THAT MUCH FOOD.
thanks for the support everyone ..it means a lot

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Manishavyas wrote: more important has been the freedom from constant snacking and /or calorie counting..i do well on 3 meals a day now ..
I agree that this is the real victory. If weight loss is the only measure, what will a person do when weeks go by without it?

Sane habits are their own reward. Honestly regarding what a sane amount of food is- and that changes over time- goes a long way, too.

I recommend giving it a year of real, honest, effort. You will not be the same person.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)