Linda's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:17 am

Thank you Heather & nbh! It feels good to be teaming up together like we used to do. Kids and careers have made it a bit harder to be as close as we once were but seems we're finding our way back.

Today was fun. We went on a crazy hard hike up Piesewta Peak. I didn't think I was going to make it but I did--yay! Then we went out to lunch at this cool vegan cafe we found.

-8.6 lbs

Break: yogurt, 2 pieces turkey bacon, banana
Lunch: 2 veggie nori rolls, salad w avocado, A LOT of chai iced tea w almond milk & honey
Dinner: 1 grilled chicken thigh, bean salad w tahini dressing, barley, large Apple, glass of port

Exercise:2.5 hr hike (1400 cals)

I feel like I ate a bit more than usual today so expecting weight to go up a bit but overall I feel like I'm doing well. It's funny how we can learn to give up things we never thought we could. I'm enjoying skinny mochas (1/2 as many calories) as much as my reg ones. I'm liking zero vitamin water as much as my beloved iced tea. Veggie burgers instead of regular ones etcetera. I'm even getting used to smaller portions. It's not so bad in fact it's just as enjoyable.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:15 pm

I keep telling my husband...Lean and mean in 2015?! .... He just rolls his eyes LOL. Have a great Friday Miss...good job on the hike too! Everytime I go hiking I start out....I just love hiking why don't we do it more....then half way through... G D it I hate this are we almost there...then...can we just go back this is awful...then we get to the top and I am always this is soooo beautiful ! We should be doing this all the time. Lets do this tomorrow. 😳
Kindness is the only way.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:54 am

Wow Linda, you are kicking *ss and taking names!

Pre-kids, I used to go multi-day hiking with my mates in the wilderness south of my city. Day 1 and 2 I was always whining about why do we do this, and my pack is heavy, but by Day 5 I was always ready to quit my day job and move south to live in the forest.

I love how you are finding ways to make tasty foods that suit your husband's new requirements. Too often I know I'm guilty of falling into the trap of equating healthy with boring / plain (hmm, has the media sold us this?). Although, after a long, hard hike, even the plainest foods taste AMAZING!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:59 am

That's so funny nbh--your Hubby sounds like a good natured guy. That pretty much describes the hike perfectly.

Thank you iron! We are doing pretty good w everything. I'm just not sure how we'll maintain this intensity once dh goes back to work next week but hopefully we can figure out something. Five days of hiking sounds intense but I bet it was amazing! I'm finding the cooking with restrictions a pretty fun challenge and I feel SO much better. Definitely worth it!

-8.6 yay--I made my weekly goal & some!

I bought myself a cute bright yellow purse for my -5 lb reward & my -10 lb reward is going to be new bike shorts.

Break: fruit w yogurt & a little granola, 1/2 piece banana bread, cappuccino
Lunch: grilled chicken in low carb wrap w tahini sauce, tiny bowl of yogurt w nuts
Dinner: 1 piece turkey meatloaf, salad, miso soup, watermelon, glass of port

Exercise: 2 hr bike ride (18 miles/1200 cals)
I haven't been able to fit in stepping with all our other exercise but maybe next week.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:33 pm

YAY on your loss!

My husband is the most laid back person I know except for our son..our lovely daughter however is me. We are just are all over the place and are enthusiasctically emotional...and they wait us out.

I like your rewarding yourself along the way too...! Have a great weekend!!!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:55 am

Oh boy that's funny but sounds like you have a good balance of personalities. We have 4 intense ppl under one roof and it can definitely get a bit exhausting!

-8.6 lbs

Break: yogurt parfait plus 3 bites of break sandwich, coffee w cream
Lunch: piece of turkey meatloaf, watermelon w yogurt, 1 mini taco
Snack: 2 pieces chocolate
Dinner: 3/4 chicken burger, 1/2 order of fries, skinny lemonade
Dessert: coffee w cream, 3 cookies

Rest day

Put oldest daughter on a plane to visit her grandma today. First time by herself. I definitely choked up but its a great experience for her. Took youngest daughter to see the musical Cinderella w my friend & her daughter. Loved it & great to have some girl time. Yay!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:44 am

lpearlmom wrote:I bought myself a cute bright yellow purse for my -5 lb reward & my -10 lb reward is going to be new bike shorts.
Hi Linda,
Great to see your progress and let's hear it for non-food rewards! Something fun and something to support physical activity... sounds great.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:14 pm

You'll do great when DH good back to work. It will be different and perhaps a bit more difficult in terms of organizational details and timing but you already know what works. You'll just have to figure out how to make it happen. Don't forget to put the kids to work prepping or even preparing those wonderful new meals you're making. You don't have to do it all. :wink: Kids can do laundry too. And they are perfect for the evening clean-up routine. (I only had kids because I hate to wash dishes)

Enjoy the end of your weekend!! It's going to be sunny here so we are going for a12 mile hike once everybody wakes up.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:00 pm

You will do great because look how you handled the worst part!!! ðŸ˜

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:38 pm

You're doing great! :D I think I'll copy you with a non food reward, once I reach a 10 pound weight loss. I hope your older daughter has a great time with her grandma! That's great that you and your younger DD got to see Cinderella!

Heather

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:21 am

Thank you osoniye, ginger, nbh & Heather!

I'm glad you guys liked the reward idea. I already have them all planned out in 5 lb increments for the whole 50 lbs.

Staying on track will be a little tricky with DHs crazy work schedule but we will figure out something. We decided to join the local rec center. It's really nice & has a "hang out" room for the kids. That way when it's too hot or late to ride bikes we can go there. Dh says he'll keep helping with the cooking/shopping so I think we'll be good.

Ginger: I admire moms like you. My kids are spoiled but I promise they're still sweet & well-mannered.

-7.4 lbs grrr
Break: large bowl of cereal w fruit, mocha
Lunch: small bowl of poke, mango w yogurt
Snack: 3 pieces of See's candy
Dinner: seared tuna, steamed cauliflower, salad, wine
Dessert: 2 see's lollipops

Exercise: 1.5 hr bike ride (950 cals/14 miles)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:02 am

-6.8 lbs grrrrr...

I know I'm suppose to take these normal fluctuations in stride but it feels like I can't have even one semi-relaxed day without gaining weight. I mean a couple pieces of candy on an otherwise tame day is hardly a binge. Oh well I'm done whining. Just got to push through this.

Today was good. Dh went back to work but he was off early so we went and signed up at the rec center. It's very nice and has everything we need. There's even exercise classes the kids can do if they want. DH is on call so we couldn't really go on a long bike ride but we did work out at home for a little bit.

Break: nf yogurt w fruit & cereal, cappuccino w sugar
Lunch: falafel pita sandwich
Dinner: open faced turkey burger, salad w ahi tuna & lf dressing, grapes, sm wine

Exercise: 15-20 mins on total gym

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:27 am

I'm glad the rec center is what you'd hoped, sounds like a great option for busy times or hot weather.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 am

Weight fluctuations are so frustrating! I'm sure you'll go back to losing, once you're back to N days. The rec center sounds like a great place! :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:09 am

Thanks iron & Heather! Didn't make it there today but hopefully tomorrow.

-6.8 lbs no comment

Break: mango smoothie
Lunch: turkey burger on lavosh bread, spoonful of cottage cheese, salad w miso dressing, grapes, skinny mocha
Dinner: bowl of turkey chili, grapes, banana, yogurt

Exercise: None. still have to figure out how to coordinate w Dh. He was suppose to get off early so I waited for him but by the time he got home had to take Talia to tumbling and straight after that had to get Zoe from the airport. Tomorrow were planning on going first thing in the morning.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:37 pm

Hello you! In the tiniest voice I say this to you...how about just not weighing for awhile? I mean your doing everything right...your slip ups are small...you are going through life changing events. Maybe it's the mind/body connection and when these fluctuations occur your stressing yourself. I know it is hard esp. if you weigh everyday...kk tiny voice is done! Have a great day Miss!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:49 am

Thank you nbh! I'm really not as distressed as it seems. I just kind of record the first thought I have when I see the number but it definitely doesn't ruin my day or anything! Anyway was just Pms. Same thing happened last month. You'd think I'd learn.

Today was nice. So happy to have my oldest DD back. We were fighting too much before she left and the time apart gave me time to think about how to make things better. I keep coming back to this quotation from Goethe: “Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.â€

I think I do the opposite too often. I'm also too hard on my oldest & too easy on my youngest which makes the sibling rivalry worse. I'm determined to improve things though and stop treating her like I expect the worse. Today I took my girls to get our nails done and to lunch. I worked hard on treating them as equally wonderful and feels so much better. Parenting is so hard but I still need to do my best!

-8.4 lbs
Break: nf yogurt w fruit & cereal, small nf cap
Lunch: soba noodle bowl w chicken, grande skinny mocha
Dinner: grilled chicken burger on lavosh, salad w miso dress, Apple

Exercise: 30 mins treadmill, 30 mins ecliptical machine (not as fun as bike riding but will do the trick).

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:47 am

Wow, that 2 pounds of PMS / water retention weight just vanished in the night, huh? Bodies are just crazy.

I love that Goethe quote. The fact that you notice, care, think and work on these things is what makes you a great mom.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:56 am

That really is a great quote! Yes, parenting is hard sometimes. I tend to be a little too easy on my older son, because he is autistic, and a little hard sometimes on the younger son (who is not autistic). I do try to treat them both equally, and that is something I'm continuing to work on. It sounds like you and your girls had a lovely outing.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:04 pm

OMG it is so hard being a good parent! My daughter...let's just say she is a spit fire! My son was thoughtful and kind and even tempered. We all laugh about it now but my goodness when she was growing up....bahhhhhhh run for the hills. She and I are very much alike btw except she grew up in an environment where she could express herself and we all tried to embrace it. LOL have a nice day Linda...I only know one Linda in my life...MY MOTHER !

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:16 am

I'm glad you guys liked the quotation and thank you for sympathizing with my parenting woes. I guess we all have our struggles. I'm working really hard to treat them as one entity when they're misbehaving instead of singling my oldest out. Not sure if it's a coincidence but Zoe seems much happier and she's getting along better with her sister.

We took the girls to the rec center with and its turning out to be a real gem for the whole family. While dh & I worked out, the girls went rock climbing, played racquet ball & fooz ball. What a great find!

Oh nbh pretty cool your mom & I share the same name. DHs mom is also Linda which is probably why I kept my last name.

-9.4 lbs almost to 10 lbs!
Break: 1/2 bagel w cream cheese & veggies, skinny mocha
Lunch: turkey dog on sandwich thin, grapes, yogurt
Dinner: salmon burger on sand thin, ratatouille, small bowl nf yogurt w fruit & nuts

Exercise: 30 mins treadmill, 30 mins ecliptical, 15-20 mins weight machines

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:18 am

I love rock climbing! That sounds like a great outing for everyone - win!

Almost 10lb already!? You're a machine :)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:15 am

Linda you really are doing great. Taking care of yourself at the same time you are taking care of everyone else isn't easy. Give yourself a big hug from me. :wink:

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:20 pm

Linda that place sounds sooooo fun. I can not wait to move to an area that has a fitness center. If we can get to Auburn there is a planet fitness ! So great the girls are having fun there too...it matters and now they will associate fitness and fun. Have a great weekend !

lin47

Post by lin47 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:50 pm

You're doing great, Linda! You are an inspiration! (Let me add, that I, too, love that Goethe quotation. I copied it so that I'll remember it).

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:12 am

Thank you iron, ginger, nbh & Lin!!! I can't tell you all how much it means to me that you're all cheering me on & offering support!!

Had a bit of a red day but it was premeditated so I'm okay with it. Our beloved wolf hybrid got out somehow today & was hit by a car. Omigosh so scary but miraculously she only has a bit of a hurt paw. Must be all that fur & muscular build. I'm so thankful she's okay but did spend a good portion of my day at the vet and missed lunch.

My girls went to a sleepover so dh & I went for a quick bike ride and then out to dinner at seasons 52 where everything is under 475 calories but so good! We ate outside and I had a small salad w dinner plus a tiny dessert (170 cals). Was so nice though and def worth a red day!

-9.4 lbs
Break: cereal w fruit, skinny mocha
Late lunch/snack: ramekin of ratatouille, 5 crackers, 1/2 banana
Dinner: Cesar salad, lamb w veggies, lemon curd w blueberries, 2 martinis

Exercise: intense 35 min bike ride

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:18 am

You Arizona/New Mexico girls make me totally jealous. :? I'd love to be able to get out for a bike ride or trail hike this time of year. All the ice should be off the biketrail this week (still a bit cold for a ride though) And I'm hoping the hiking trails will be passible next week. (If we don't have a deluge of spring rain this week.)

Enjoy your weekend.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:02 pm

How did you manage to have such a nice day AND your dog got hit by a car?! LOL... So happy your dog is okay ! Also between you and Ginger pie I AM JELOUS...I will not see a hiking/ biking trail for atleast another month and then it def. will be mud season....however the roads are now doable so I guess there's that 😑 OH Maine how I Love/Hate thee.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:48 pm

Oh, Linda, I am so glad that your dog is okay. I have one little doggie left (we had to put the other one down in Sept.), and he is really part of my family. I was devastated when I put my other one down and know I will feel the same when this one's time comes. But the shock of one getting hit by a car would do me in. Again, I am so glad that your doggie is okay. You definitely deserve that red day, and even though it was red, it seems like it wasn't all that bad. It's cool that the restaurant you went to has the calorie counts (I've never heard of Seasons 52. One of my struggles/problems is that my dinners are regularly 800-1000 calories. It seems like 600 calories is a low dinner for me. Your dinner came to fewer than 500 calories and that was a red day!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:57 pm

Oh Linda, your poor doggy! I'm so glad she's ok. Our dog was hit by a car when he was just a pup (about 6 months old) and it was such a horrible shock.

Your "pre-meditated" red day sounds awesome. I think I've said before that sometimes a really special and appreciated S on an N day is more enjoyable than some of my less restrained S days.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:52 am

Thanks you guys! Tikka is doing really well today. Still limping, but her appetite & spirits are up today so I'm certain she's going to be fine. She's on pain meds so mostly sleeping all day but that's probably good for her recovery.

Ginger: it is beautiful right now but you won't be jealous of me in a couple of months when I cannot even touch my steering wheel without risking 3rd degree burns! I guess every place has its downside. I think the trick is to be a snowbird in Az so you're only here for the good parts of the year!

Nbh: I know it's funny how little stuff can set me off and make me in an off mood all day but I seem to pull it all together when there's an actual drama occurring. I've always wanted to visit Maine. DH says it's beautiful!

Lin: I know losing a dog is so incredibly hard. I adore my dogs and yes they're definitely like family. So my entree was only 475 cals but the salad, dessert & cocktails were all extra. I only ate 1/2 my salad and part of my entree but at 300 cals/ea those stupid (yet totally delicious) cocktails did me in. Next time I'm sticking to wine. Try not to worry too much about the calories at this point. Once you have the habit down solid, you can manipulate what & how much is on your plate as much as you want. I think the reason I'm losing weight is because I'm eating so much less than before but I have no idea how some woman eat 1200 cals or below a day. Seems impossible to me!

Iron: totally agree about the free for all S days not being very satisfying. It took me awhile to be ready to do this but now I have my S days structured w planned treats and otherwise keep it pretty much the same as N days. I'm finding them about a million times more enjoyable!

Anyway, was a good day. DH & I rode our bikes to the rec center, did weights then rode back before we had to pick up our girls from their sleepover. Felt a lil hung over but the bike ride fixed that fast. I guess I'm officially a lightweight. Later we all went to a Spring Training game and sat right behind 3rd base. Was great to see DH relaxing & enjoying himself so much. Was a close game but dbacks won--yay!!

-10.6 lbs
Might be a lil alcohol dehydration but so great to see that number which I'm pretty sure puts me under 200lbs for the first time in a long time. Yay--there's hope for me yet!!!!!

Break: yogurt, fruit, cereal, nuts, skinny mocha
Lunch: chicken teriyaki noodle bowl
Dinner: grilled fish w mango salsa, barley, salad w lf dressing
Dessert: 2 small pieces chocolate, 2 sees lollipops

Exercise: 1 hr bike, 20 mins weights (800 cals)

Lovedby2

lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:42 pm

Thanks for the encouragement lpearlmom. Wow, you have lost 50 lbs No Sing? That is so great. I am going to go back and read your journey. I always want to move things along quickly. I am impressed that you hung in there for a year before seeing a lot of results. Thank you for being there for us newbies!!
Always learning.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Congrats on the weight loss, Linda! Sounds like everything is going in the right direction!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:38 pm

Hi loved ! No 50 lbs is my weightloss goal! I've only lost about 10 lbs and that's all been in the last 5 1/2 weeks (isn't that a movie?). The first year I was too afraid to weigh myself and think I probably lost (on nos) & regained (after I took a nos break) about 5-10 lbs that first year.

Now that I have the quantum scale:( http://www.quantumscale.com ) I'm no longer afraid to weigh myself and can just look at the numbers objectively and do what I need to in order to get the scale to cooperate.

Anyway I'm definitely a work in progress!

Linda

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:39 pm

Thanks Lin! So far so good! Have a great day! :D

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:39 am

A light weight - welcome to my world. 2 martinis would put me on my *ss.

Another milestone down (although as you say, once you rehydrate that number might bounce a bit) - really impressed by your work the past 5 weeks!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:51 am

Thanks iron! Yes pretty much that's what the drinks did to me.â˜ºï¸ I really owe a lot to you & eschano for helping me to see the whole fat/feminist issue from a different angle. That and DHs illness just kind of helped make everything click for me. Enjoying the ride but dreading the inevitable plateaus & discouraging moments. Just gotta push through.

Break:cereal w fruit, cappuccino
Lunch: cashew tuna salad on a sandwich thin w avocado, handful of Fritos
Snack: LF muffin, skinny mocha
Dinner: salad w grilled fish & NF dressing, pickle
Dessert: 1 sees lolipop, 1 square low-carb chocolate

Exercise: Rest Day

Felt a little guilty for eating lunch when DH skipped his. He said he wasn't very hungry because we didn't work out. Men!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:46 pm

My husband has switched to light beer and it is already showing...I want to be encouraging but inside my head I screaming " really?" LOL AND BLEHHHHH 😑

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:09 pm

OMG the quntam scale...G E T O U T ! My daughter ... Who is thin but a healthy thin....every once an awhile she talks about getting a scale but she has a problem with things like that AND SHE IS THIN...she could be going along being really happy with herself...go to the docotrs and get weighed and BAM her day is ruined... She is tall so her number is higher even thin and she's fit sooooo ! We have discussions about it every once an awhile about her getting a scale ( usually in the spring ) and I always weigh-in ( lol ) that she probably should't. I can not wait to tell her about this scale! What an awesome idea ! Maybe I will get it for her B'day...I am def. getting one for myself...I have almost 50 to loose and it does get discouraging when you see the actual number staring at you...even when your losing...and you know it shouldn't bother you but some days it just does.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:44 pm

nbh76, I must have missed mention of the quantum scale---so glad you mentioned it!! I've never heard of it, but it sounds great! I---who hate the scale---might even get one.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Yes yes nbh & Lin! It's so awesome & freeing! Occassionally I get annoyed that things aren't moving fast enough but it's hard to get too upset at tiny little numbers staring at you especially negative numbers. It doesn't define me and have the ability to deflate my whole day like it seeing the entire number used to do. Plus they have super cute colors!

mitchelll

Post by mitchelll » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:16 pm

i love the idea of the quantum scale, and I think I'll have to get one too. I've lost some weight, I know, but I afraid to start weighing again because it usually has a negative impact on me. On the other hand, I'm at the point where I want to know that I've lost weight and how much. this sounds perfect!. thanks.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:35 am

Hi Mitchell ! I definitely recommend it--been so great for me. And I've decided to refuse to be weighed at the doctors from now on. If they don't like it, they can take a hike. I'll find a new doctor. So there. 😀

So after 2 weeks of DH being home, then one week of my girls being home for spring break, I was reaaaallly looking forward to some alone time today. As soon as I dropped them off, I curled up on the couch with a cup of coffee and a pile of cookbooks and turned on some tv I wanted to catch up on. Well about 30 mins later the phone rang saying my daughter was sick so I had to go pick her up. She's fine, just a lil tummy upset but so much for my alone time. Oh well maybe later this week it'll happen for me!

-9.2 lbs
Break: LF muffin, melon balls
Lunch: boca burger w ratatouille, nf strawberry yogurt w couple o sliced nuts, small skinny mocha
Dinner: taco salad, large protein shake
(I ordered a small shake but they accidentally gave me a large one & of course I drank it all--ugh!)

Exercise: 30 mins treadmill; 30 mins elliptical

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:27 am

-10.4 lbs

Break: yogurt, fruit, cereal, NF cap
Lunch: veg burger, ratatouille, rice chips w lf s cream. Skinny mocha
Dinner: Ginger grilled chicken breasts, kelp noodle salad, sautéed brussel sprouts w prosciutto, big ol glass of wine

Dinner was SO good! The brussel sprout recipe was from my skinnytaste cookbook: http://www.glamour90210.com/shredded-br ... roscuitto/

Exercise:: 30 mins treadmill; 15 mins elliptical (had to cut my workout short so I could pick up my daughter from gymnastics.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:20 am

Ugh... Not a great day! Red day AND I didn't work out! Oh the guilt! I Know I'm suppose to think long term but just don't want to lose this momentum. Oh gee sh I'm becoming one of those annoying ppl that obsess about everything that goes into their mouth. Okay moving on!

-11.2 lbs

Break: LF muffin; 1 banana, nf cappuccino
Lunch: open-faced chicken burger, rice chips w LF s cream, popcorn
Red moment: small frozen yogurt
Dinner:chicken tortilla soup, baked chips, orange, small wine

Exercise: none

I convinced myself that since I skipped my usual skinny mocha today, I could afford the froyo. It's a slippery slope though. Back to my 3 meals.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:54 am

You seem to be solidly below the -10lb mark - well done. Time for those cute biking shorts?

To me the big win is avoiding WTH effect and getting straight back on that horse, so well done you. Let the guilt go - I like oolala's approach of strictness before a slip and compassion afterwards. Just keep on chipping away - remember you are forming moderate habits you can maintain for life, not perfection for 6 months followed by burn out. I know you can do this!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:31 pm

No guilt Miss ! You are doing awesome...! Have a good day!😆

lin47

Post by lin47 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:16 pm

Linda, you're doing great! ITA with ironchef: You had the yogurt but didn't let it derail you for the day. I wish I could say the same for Wednesday. I slipped but then I used it as an excuse to overeat the rest of the night. I need to be careful about that. The one thing about calorie counting was that it stopped me from the WTH effect because I still knew I had to record those calories. I don't want to fall into the habit of "calling it a day" if I have a slip-up. You've inspired me to try to rein in the red, so to speak, if I have a slip.

Congrats on the loss, btw!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:36 am

ironchef wrote:remember you are forming moderate habits you can maintain for life, not perfection for 6 months followed by burn out.
I had to chuckle when I saw this. You know me so well iron. Thx for the reminder and yes def time for my next reward!

I know I'm being a bit obsessive/crazy but I'm suddenly just so sick & tired of being fat. Tired of avoiding mirrors and cameras and shopping for clothes and making excuses when old friends want to get together. Blah! I'm just done. I guess I'd convinced myself that I really truly could not lose weight and had pretty much given up. Now that I'm realizing I can lose weight albeit w a sh*tload of work, I just want to see how far I can take it. Maybe I can actually feel attractive again. I'm just so tired of hiding!

Anyway thank you nbh & Lin for the encouragement! You guys are right about not giving into the wth urge being something to feel good about.

-11.2 lbs woot!

Break: toast w cream cheese, tea
Lunch: chicken & hummus bowl, smoothie, skinny mocha
Dinner: turkey burger on sand thin, roasted veg soup w chipotle s cream, glass of wine

Exercise: 30mins treadmill. All I could squeeze in today but hopefully get a long work out tomorrow!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:59 am

Hey Linda just jumping in your thread to say hi. :)

Glad things are going well for you and hope you enjoy the weekend.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:10 am

I don't think you're being crazy at all - I think it is fantastic that you are feeling so much energy and motivation and getting in there and improving things for yourself (and your husband's health). Ride that wave!
Enjoy your weekend :)

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:00 pm

You are an inspiration and you will do this. It's okay to feel the way you do. I know we are supposed to not be crazy about food/diet but in the end this is still a plan of sorts and some of us do want to lose weight. Ahem...I need to lose 35 and that still will put me on the high side, I may adjust lower after that. I feel the same way you do btw...just tired of being fat and this is now becoming my time and how do I want the second half to be. All we have to do is keep at this and think of where we will be in a few months...! 😎

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:48 am

Linda, You're doing great! :D I say whatever works, to keep you motivated.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:04 am

Thanks so much iron, nbh & Heather for the support & validation ! Oh & hi ginger 👋

Nbh-I hear ya! The 50 pounds is for health & general well -being but after that I may decide to try for another 5-10 lbs of vanity weight but I'm getting ahead of myself here!

DH got off early today so we got a good work out in. It was after 1pm when we finished and I was STARVING! When I mentioned lunch he said "oh is it lunch time already? Well doing ab work makes me lose my appetite so I'm fine." Fine? Fine? I saw what he had for breakfast--1 egg white w arugula & a glass of almond milk. Sorry I just had to mention this since I know you all can relate.

Anyway I finally talked him into splitting a large salad with me. Phew I thought I was going to faint.

-11.2 lbs I lost almost 2 lbs this week so def made my 1 lb/wk goal. ðŸ‘

Break: yogurt w fruit, nuts & cereal, NF cap
Lunch: large salad w nf dressing, sugar free almond latte
Dinner: riceless sushi, miso soup, fruit only Popsicle

Exercise: 30 mins treadmill; 30 mins ecliptical; 15 mins core work
(I miss bike riding but hasn't been convenient these last several days.)

DH made sushi tonight so I did a bit of virtual plating but don't think I overdid it. Soooooo glad it's friday. Really looking forward to sleeping in a bit! Oh yeah and I'm dying for a good piece of chocolate!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:58 am

Linda you and your dh really are amazing. You both are so willing to take on the challenge and make it work. Congrats on your weight loss. Are you buying new clothes yet or are you going to hold off for a bit? Shopping is way more fun when shopping down a size. 8)

Enjoy your weekend and your chocolate.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Omg Linda...GOOD FOR YOU! Have a great weekend !!! I bought some very expensive mexican chocolate to enjoy on my S days btw...I ALMOST ATE IT LAST NIGHT...lol

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks SO much ginger! We are working really hard. DH is stricter w his eating than me but I guess a health scare is a big motivator. He's down 18lbs but I'm okay with it taking me a little longer. I have more to lose than him so have to watch for burn out--thank goodness for S days!

I haven't bought any new clothes yet. I was at an all time high when I started losing weight and was mostly wearing strecthy stuff. Wearing the same stuff now but it's def getting loose on me! I'm kinda at that annoying stage where although I've put in a ton of work, nobody notices and I don't really need new clothes yet. I look in the mirror now and notice I'm a lil smaller but still decidedly fat--double chin and all! Nothing wrong w being fat and there's so many beautiful fat women (inside & out) but if I'm honest, it looks crap on me! With my 5'3" frame, I just can't pull it off!

Anyway, I do notice the changes even if nobody else does, and I feel SO much better. And there's definitely new clothes in my future! We have a wedding and my bday dinner in May so hopefully I'll be ready to buy something new by then!

Nbh--don't you love how S days make us seek out special, high quality treats and enjoy them like treats are meant to be enjoyed? Good for you for waiting so you can enjoy them properly! I think I'll be heading to Sees today!ðŸ’

Okay I'm suppose to be in the shower! Everyone have great S days!

lin47

Post by lin47 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:50 pm

Linda, your husband sounds like mine: doesn't focus on food as I do. Mine won't work out though---thinks it's ridiculous (he has never had a weight problem & is naturally "built"; he can gain muscle so easily by working in the yard for couple of weeks).

I know what stage you're talking about because I remember going through it as I lost my weight calorie counting. I could definitely notice but it seems like no one else did. Then, all of a sudden when I dropped about another 5 lbs, EVERYBODY seemed to notice. Like you, I'm short, so maybe just that little bit more makes the difference. Also, sometimes, I think people do notice and, for a variety of reasons, just don't comment on it until it becomes too obvious for them not to.

Keep up the good work![/i]

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:19 am

Funny how men seem a little more relaxed around food. Lin that's a good
point about being short. Weightloss probably will become more noticeable sooner. Yay finally a benefit to being short!

Today was kind of a quiet day. We basically waited all day for Dh to come home from work so we could go to the rec center. We finally went around 3:30 but as soon we got home, he got called back into work and I accidentally left my keys in his car so we were stuck at home all eveing. Oh well tomorrow I'm going to take the girls shopping & to the movies.

-10.2 lbs
Break: LF muffin, mocha
Lunch: granola bar, chips w salsa & edamame dip, yogurt w nuts
Snack: yogurt w nuts, piece of chocolate
Dinner: 1/2 turkey burger; ahi tuna salad
Dessert: small ice cream w choc chips

Exercise: 30 mins treadmill; 30 mins ecliptical

I definitely ate more than normal today but I guess that's the whole point of S days.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:10 am

Okay day. My girls fought like mad this morning & then I lost it too of course. Ugh! Oh well we re-grouped and went to the movies so it ended up okay.

-10.2 lbs what happened to 11?

Break: LF muffin, cappuccino
Lunch: medium popcorn no butter, d coke, 2 pieces candy
Snack: sees lollipop
Dinner: falafel sandwich, hummus, salad
Dessert: a see's lollipop

Exercise: 30 mins elliptical; 15 mins weight machines

Felt like I ate a lot today and not looking forward to seeing what the scale says. It's okay though, I really seem to need my S days. A little break from constant diligence is probably good for long term success. Looking forward to going back to the certainty of N days tomorrow!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:12 am

Ahhhh yes. Girls fighting. I know it well. And always about such reasonable things. :roll:

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:47 am

Exactly ginger! You must have girls or a sibling perhaps?

Oh wow today was rough! None of my meals were big enough and was seriously hungry all day. Dh says we just have to get used to that feeling for awhile. Always the realistic I know he's probably right but yikes it's hard to handle. I barely had enough energy to get through my workout. Think I'll treat myself to a nice big breakfast.

-10.2 lbs
the novelty of weighing myself daily is seriously wearing off. Think I may take nbhs advice and try weekly weigh-ins for a bit. I'm already doing pretty much everything I can so just have to have faith that I'll eventually get there.

Break: nf yogurt w cereal & fruit, skinny mocha
Lunch: veg burger w slice of avo, no bun, wedge of cheese, 2 nectarines, nf cap
Dinner: vegan sloppy joes on 1/2 bun, scoop hummus, veggies, nectarine, small glass wine

Exercise: 30 mins treadmill; 30 mins elliptical; 10 mins walk on track; 15 mins weights

cyndimay

Post by cyndimay » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:53 am

Hi

I am just starting with No S. I have been reading through your Daily Check In and have been really enjoying your posts. Good luck with your goal.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:03 pm

I think you are only going to see good things as long you keep at it. This is what I tell myself and I read where if you believe in what your doing your results will follow. I can not weigh myself every day because even though my logical mind knows that daily fluctuations are the norm I find myself feeling emotionally " not in a good place " when the fluctuations happen! Have a great day Linda and tell those girls to get along! LOL

KathieM

Post by KathieM » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:14 pm

Thanks for sharing your experiences - it's really helpful for newbies like me. all the best!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:50 am

Thank you cyndimay! Good luck to you too!!

Nbh--thanks for the support! I think weighing myself once a week will be enough. It'll still give me the feedback I need without making me overly focused on the numbers.

Np Kathie! ðŸ‘

Today was another day full of hunger pangs. I think my body is seriously pissed off about the lack of food. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Break: oatmeal w fruit, nf cappuccino
Lunch: big salad w nf dressing, piece of lite cheese, skinny latte
Dinner: enchilada soup w all the fixings, pear

Exercise: 1 hr bike ride; 20 mins elliptical; 10 mins weights

So nice to go on a bike ride again. Was such a beautiful day!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:27 pm

You're an exercising machine...you are going to really feel great about yourself when June gets here !!! Have a great 1st day of April Miss Linda ! ☀ï¸

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:02 am

Omg... Seriously hungry again today. I added a bit more food but I didn't actually feel satiated till after dinner. Oh boy NoS was so much easier when I was eating whatever I wanted. But I wasn't losing weight. Oh well it won't be forever. I just have to push through it.

Dh was getting off early today and we planned to work out around 1:30. I didn't want to eat a big lunch b4 our workout but knew I had to eat something. Hunger pangs big time! I allowed myself a little snack & think I'll continue to allow an optional small snack if this scenario comes up again. I'll probably just get a bunch of granola bars & allow one a day as needed.

Break: poached egg, 2 pieces turkey bacon, toast, melon, cappuccino
Snack: kimchi, handful rice chips w s cream
Lunch: veggie meatballs, nf yogurt w nuts, nectarine
Dinner: chicken salad sandwich, ramekin of potato salad

Exercise: 1 hr bike ride; 30 mins eliptical; 25 mins treadmill; 10 mins weights

Nbh--it's mostly Dh! I'd be happy w an hour bike ride but Dh is super motivated so I just go along w it. It certainly can't hurt me! I hope it pays off at some point. We have a wedding to go to in May. I'm going to be running into some old friends. It'd be great to be down 15-20 lbs!

It's hard to stay motivated through these longer workouts. I just keep picturing myself in all the cute new outfits I'll be able to buy. But that can only carry me so far. The real motivation is to prove to myself I can do something hard that takes dedication & commitment.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:13 am

You're doing so well Linda, and so is your DH, very impressive.

I know what you mean about "hungry" weeks - I definitely have them (sometimes related to time of month) and then other weeks getting extra serves of veg and forgoing extras seems easy. Hang in there.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:16 am

Mystery hunger gets us all sometimes. It might be related to your increased activity level.

Are you limiting what you eat? Or how much? If you are, and the hunger continues, you might consider re-evaluating that part. Or sometimes I have mystery hunger when I'm tired. How many "rest/recovery" days do you have per week? It is possible your body wants a break from the increased exercise. Usually, when that's my problem, I get grouchy along with hungry.

Or, sometimes hormonal fluctuations can play havoc with my perceived hunger. :wink:

Good luck today. Your doing great.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:23 pm

lpearlmom - Wow, great job on the exercise!! That is a lot! I know cardio really spikes my hunger levels. My hunger is controlled best by shorter, more intense workouts, like HIIT, and strength training.

You are doing a great job and I hope you will get to go shopping for those cute new outfits soon!!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Even when everything is going great...eating right, exercising, losing weight...getting enough sleep...blahblah I still find myself ...just out of the blue saying "why am I doing this again?!" IT IS hard to stay motivated LOL. You are doing so great ! You know how the "hungry " will behave...in a few more days it will dissipate and you have a plan that keeps it in order ( granola bars ) you are inspiring me to get more exercise in ! 😜

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:46 pm

Thank you iron! Definitely one of those weeks but yes I'm toughing it out for sure!

Hi ginger! Yes I'm limiting my food intake, fat intake, carbs a lil, crazy increase in exercise so yeah no mystery really. I guess the real mystery is why all of the sudden the crazy hunger even though I've been doing this for several weeks now? I think we're taking rest days about once or twice a week at this point. I could use a rest day today buy not sure Dh is going to go for that.

Thank you for stopping by kittson & for your encouragement!

Nbh--staying motivated is def hard at times! I tend to overthink things but now I'm just telling myself im not allowed to decide if this is worth it till I've actually gone the full distance to completing my goal. Only then will I have enough info to decide. And thanks, I think what I most needed to hear was that the intense hunger would go away at some point and today it's much better--yay!!

PS I fell asleep on the couch last night & when I woke up, I had an intense craving for chocolate. Was esp wanting a choc chip scone. I ended up having a choc see's lollipop. It's only 75 cals & since it was already kind of a red day w that unplanned snack, I said wth. Yes I'm seriously justifying but at least the damage was minimal!☺ï¸

lin47

Post by lin47 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:38 pm

nbh76 wrote:Even when everything is going great...eating right, exercising, losing weight...getting enough sleep...blahblah I still find myself ...just out of the blue saying "why am I doing this again?!" IT IS hard to stay motivated LOL. You are doing so great ! You know how the "hungry " will behave...in a few more days it will dissipate and you have a plan that keeps it in order ( granola bars ) you are inspiring me to get more exercise in ! 😜
We must be twins, nbh76! I find that I often have these thoughts.

But, Linda, your advice is terrific, and I'm going to keep it in mind:

lpearlmom wrote:. . . but now I'm just telling myself im not allowed to decide if this is worth it till I've actually gone the full distance to completing my goal. Only then will I have enough info to decide

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:53 am

Thx Lin! I'm glad you found my thinking helpful. It helps to quiet those moments of doubts. Just see it through then you can analyze it all you want!

Ugh.. Kind of a rough week food wise. I actually have a little confession to make. I started counting calories this week which I haven't done in 10+ years and now I remember why. It truly sucks! It really has increased my sense of deprivation and decreased the joy factor in eating. Definitely not sustainable!

I thought it would give me more control & help me reach my goals quicker but I think it backfired on me big time. I also found myself not always eating on one plate because as long as I counted calories what did it matter? Well that can get out of hand quickly enough. Not to mention trying to keep track of all those numbers was taking up too much precious time & brain power.

So back to 3 healthy meals a day and no calorie counting. I'm already eating break & lunch on smaller plates but am going to start eating dinner on one too. That plus my increased activity should be plenty. If it takes me a little longer so be it. This is suppose to a lifelong change anyway right? Geesh I think I lost sight because Dh is so gung-ho. He's already lost 21 lbs but he's fighting for his life in a sense so I really can't compare our situations.

Anyway....

Break: toast w LF cream cheese & jam, skinny mocha
Snack: granola bar
Lunch: Asian salad w chicken, rice chips w LF s cream, blueberries, cappuccino
Dinner: grilled chicken w red peppers & basil, salad, brown rice, glass of wine

Exercise: 30 mins treadmill; 30 mins eliptical; 25 mins bike

Tomorrow is weigh in day. Hope it's good news.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:38 am

Linda, I hear you on the calorie counting! I will confess that I have been doing it for awhile, and I am SO tired of it! Once my low FODMAPS Diet with all of its restrictions is done, I want to get back to following the No S structure. I'm sure that by eating dinner on a smaller plate, the weight loss will come. That is great about your DH and his weight loss! Is he feeling better?

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:54 pm

Good for you for catching the counting in time lol ! Every once and awhile I do it too and it starts out fine but then I get CRAZY. In my heart of hearts the mantra "eat less move more " is probably all any of us really needs. No S really helps with that. Our brains like to mess with us ALL THE TIME don't they ?! You are doing great sooooo there! Have a fun weekend...isn't it Easter Bleaster?! This is the first year I am not doing anything...husbands working...kids couldn't make it...parents are away...there is a sort of freedom in this! 😗

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:00 pm

Linda,
You can't compare yourself to DH anyway because he is male :!: Remember :?: I'm not saying it is easier for men but . . . well, yes I am :wink: No worries. Stick to your plan and what happens happens.

Enjoy the weekend.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:58 pm

Oh, I can't seem to help the calorie counting. I guess because I've had been doing it for 4 years, it's hard to break that mental habit. It's annoying, though, because it makes me food-obsessive.

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:42 pm

Studied nutrition in college (please don't judge). Anyway, there are several factors which effect metabolism: hormones, growth spurts (that one is too late for me), gender, muscle mass (men naturally have more), age, body mass (men generally weigh more than women). There are things you can do to quicken metabolism: smoking (though I don't suggest that), caffeine consumption (also don't recommend in large doses), building more muscle, cardio (temporary affect), become pregnant (not sure I would do that to increase metabolism)/breast feed, constantly make your body calibrate back to normal temperature by exposing it to heat and cold (either via food and drink or atmosphere). Yes men have faster metabolisms. I guess it makes sense because otherwise we would never stop eating during pregnancy and that would not have been a wise design. My husband's eating habits and weight annoy me too....my teenage son's annoys me even more, but I try to just run my own race:). Keep up good work!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:07 pm

lpearlmom wrote:So back to 3 healthy meals a day and no calorie counting.
Good on you for recognising warning signs quickly and getting back to what works. Remember that the first 4 weeks you did exactly this - 3 healthy meals plus your S day mods, and lost around 2lb per week. That's a brilliant rate, and certainly most traditional diets (unless they are "fad" ones) don't usually recommend or achieve loss any quicker than that.
I think I lost sight because Dh is so gung-ho. He's already lost 21 lbs but he's fighting for his life in a sense so I really can't compare our situations.
And he's a guy, and he's a different person, and he experiences hunger differently, and he has a different daily routine, and you do most of the food prep, and...etc. He's doing so well, and should be really proud, but so are you. If he's anything like my husband you just can't compare. It's apples and oranges.

I hope you are giving yourself a big pat on the back for your efforts these past two months, and I hope that you did get yourself those reward bike shorts :) Have a lovely weekend and Passover or Easter if you celebrate them.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:28 am

Glad you caught yourself on the calorie counting! The only thing that does is make life miserable, which you already know. I wish I had never even heard the term calorie, or know how much is in which certain foods. It seems that as soon as I had that knowledge, that's when food became an issue.

Great job on awareness, you are doing really well!! Enjoy the weekend!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:33 am

Wow, thanks you guys for all the great responses! Today was so much more enjoyable! No more calorie counting for me. I think just a little common sense is all that's needed. And I lost an average amount of weight this week so counting calories doesn't seem to have ANY advantages.

I really don't/can't blame my metabolism. I even got it tested once & it was impressively good although I don't remember exact numbers. Dh is just eating less than me plain & simple. I never skip a meal, he sometimes skips lunch if we have a rest day, he takes zero S days, never has a pre-workout snack etc. but he also has that edgy haunted look when it's close to mealtime.

What can I say he's a very focused person once he sets his mind to something. But I'm okay with my saner, slower approach. I wouldn't say I was comparing myself to him. We're not competitive w each other but rather I got caught up in the frenzy of his approach.

Heather: I'd go crazy too. All that plus calorie counting! Hopefully you're nearing the end now!

Nbh: we'll be spending Sunday at the waterpark! I guess that's what Jews in az do on Easter. The only holidays we really get into are thanksgiving & Halloween. Can you tell we love food? 😉 anyway enjoy a peaceful weekend!

Lin: I know it's a hard habit to break. I used to do it all the time but stopped for several years. It was a little disturbing to realize how many foods I still knew the calorie content for! There is hope to breaking the habit thought!

Retro: nothing wrong w studying nutrition. I find it all fascinating! It's good to remember that this weight stuff isn't always as simple as calories in/activity out. I guess the cardio & weights will help me and I'm happy to up my intake of caffeine!! ☕ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸â˜•ï¸

Ginger: thank you & have a great weekend too!!

Iron: thank you so much for the encouragement! I did buy new bike shorts and a cute little bike shirt to go with it. Both were extra large but hey I was able to buy off the rack in the regular section. No specialized plus sized store for me which is something I haven't experienced in awhile! My next reward is a matching dkny nightgown/robe. Yay--I never usually buy myself this kind of thing! Happy Easter to you! Not doing Passover this year due to general laziness but hopefully next year!

Kittson: so so true!! Enjoy your weekend & thanks for stopping by!

Today was good although I'm having trouble not picking as I clean up or prep meals! I really really need to nip this habit. Also I wanted a see's lolipop like nobody's business tonight but I resited by promising myself I could have one at 12:01 am if I really still wanted it!

-12.4 lbs
It's great that I still lost weight even w a red day and my pre-workout snacks 2x this week. My mom is coming the end of the month and I'm hoping I'll be at -15 lbs! I know it's vain but I really want someone to notice! ☺ï¸

Break: yogurt w fruit & cereal, cappuccino
Lunch: large smoothie, skinny mocha
Dinner: large salad w LF dress, soup

Exercise: 30 mins stationary bike; 15 mins treadmill
Okay wasn't really a workout at all. My kids wanted to go climbing at the rec center & since an adult has to be in the building, I just pedaled & walked really slowly while reading my kindle just to give me something to do. ðŸ‘

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:50 am

Boy I wrote a book last night! Keeping it short tonight.

Break: 1/2 bagel w lite cream cheese & veggies; cappuccino
Snack: 3 low fat homemade muffins (2 minis)
Lunch: veggie sandwich
Snack: soft pretzel
Dinner: turkey, rice, grilled peppers
Dessert: 1 mini muffin; lolipop

Exercise: rest day

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:32 pm

I love that you wrote a book...! Water park ?! Have sooooooo much fun! I am watching it snow a bit right now. We don't call this real snow but the road and cars are white! Ahhhh well the sun is out amd I am painting my bathroom ceiling...that's how I do EasterBleaster 😬

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:51 am

Nbh: Ugh! That transitional season must be rough but I bet it'll be beautiful soon just as I'm hiding out in my air conditioned house and smooshing scorpions!
How'd the bathroom come out? We going for the Sistine chapel look or something a bit simpler?

Holy moly I'm exhausted! Dh & I got up for an early bike ride and then 5 hrs at the waterpark! I need sleeeep!

Break: LF blueberry muffin; egg whites w veg sausage; coffee
Lunch: turkey leg & a river of d coke
Dinner: falafel salad; hummus
Dessert: choc lolipop

Exercise: 2 hr bike ride (18 miles)
We rode along the canals & under tunnels and said "mornin' " to all the other chipper ppl riding bikes early on a sun morning. So fun!!!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:04 am

:D . . . :D . . . And :D sounds like a perfect day.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:44 pm

I just squirmed in my chair...scorpions.....Eeeeeeeek! I wish my ceiling was Sistine chapel style but I went for the clean white look...this old house that I so desperately want to get out of...!

Your day sounded wonderful and you got a bike ride in?! AWESOME!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:05 pm

Linda, You're doing great! It sounds like your slower, saner approach is really working for you! The bike ride sounds lovely. I'm glad you've been able to reward yourself with some new biking clothes, and definitely keep rewarding yourself. :D I hear you on wanting to lose a little more weight to be noticed. I'm about at that same point myself. Keep up the good work! :D

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:38 am

Thanks ladies! Was a great weekend but today Monday hit me like a rude awakening. Super grumpy for the first half of the day having to attend to too many unpleasant tasks. We're having some friends stay with us this weekend and I always feel like the house needs to be perfect so am working on that but I know it'll look great by Friday.

Also, I weighed myself....yah yah I know! I had weighed myself sat and was down 13 lbs, today only down 11 lbs. I know I know... I mean the logical part of my brain knows these are perfectly normal fluctuations due to water retention etc. the other part of me feels like I've been working my behind off and therefore wanting things to move a little faster. It also feels like everyone around me as losing weight twice as fast.

Anyway after some serious pouting, I re-grouped and realize I need to slow down here. This is a process, a life-style change that is going to take some time so I might as well make it enjoyable & sustainable. I realized that even though I've been doing NoS, I continue to try to do things to speed up the process & am repeatedly disappointed when it doesn't work like trying to count calories or eat only very low-fat foods.

I've decided the most important thing is to be healthy & have a healthy relationship w food. The nos structure ensures my healthy relationship w food by keeping healthy boundaries. The what part of my food doesn't have to be extreme. Healthy eating to me is lots of fruits & veggies, good carbs, moderate amount of good fats, lean protein and still some room for the occasional chocolate bar or order of fries.

I'm using the skinnytaste website & cookbook as my model. Everything tastes great & is healthy but not extreme. I will continue to exercise as I've been thoroughly enjoying that and helps Dh & I stay connected.

I have to realize it may take a couple of years to get where I really want to be but everyday I stay on this path gets me a little closer to where I want to be. I've already made so many positive changes w my exercising & eating habits. Even my S days have tremdously improved. I have a lot in which to feel proud so I'm really going to try to focus on the positives. I need to realize that even 1/2 lb loss in a week is a lot of progress.

Okay done w my pep talk !! 😀

Break: Greek yogurt w cereal, cappuccino
Lunch: double veg burger on ww bread, rice crackers w s cream, skinny mocha
Dinner: zuchinni lasagna, kale salad w beets& LF dressing, glass of wine

Exercise: rest day

I'm going to really focus on tightening up my habits. I have a tendency to taste too much while I'm cooking. Usually just a slice a veggies or taste of sauce but i need to get my boundaries well-defined and my habits strong. Today was a red day in the strictest sense but tomorrow I'm going to try for a 21 day green streak. Been awhile!

Oh the zuchinni lasagna was amazing--kids & hubby loved it:
http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/zucc ... sagna.html

I used veg ground beef instead of regular, nonfat cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese & lite mozzarella & added eggplant along w zucchini. Was perfect.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:18 am

lpearlmom wrote:The other part of me feels like I've been working my behind off and therefore wanting things to move a little faster. It also feels like everyone around me as losing weight twice as fast.
Ooh, I know that sneaky part of the brain so well. It bites me in the *ss in so many areas where effort is constant but progress is cumulative:
  • But I've cleaned the house for HOURS and you can't even tell.
    But I worked ALL DAY in the yard and then more leaves fell down in the night.
    But I refused cake at work THREE TIMES this week and I still don't fit my black pants.
I have to realize it may take a couple of years to get where I really want to be but everyday I stay on this path gets me a little closer to where I want to be.
This is important, and also to realise that it took you many years to get here, so it's not unreasonable that it may take some time to change.
I've already made so many positive changes w my exercising & eating habits. Even my S days have tremdously improved. I have a lot in which to feel proud so I'm really going to try to focus on the positives.
Beautiful pep talk. I totally agree you have a lot to be proud of, especially considering all the other stressors you've handled recently. And I was really pleased to read that you got yourself some cute cycling clothes! I cycled to work today in old sweats and I must have looked like a beanbag on legs.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 pm

OMG our brains...they are always messing with us. In the past few years ( after I hit forty ) I couldn't lose more then 1/2 lb a week...I do not know why I am so lucky to have lost what I have these last 40'ish days. I also am fully aware that it will slow down and I have truly decided to weigh my self every twenty one days ( in honor of my streaks...lol ) so I am not on that roller coaster. I wish I wouldn't weigh myself at all. I would like to just trust the process but when you have forty'ish to lose it is hard not to get on that scale. I told my doctor about that fantastic quantum scale btw...I also said you can weigh me but I do not want to know anything about it...it will mess with my head when it isn't exactly as it is at home. Even though I know the loss number is the same...see how my brain messes with me. I need to just order that scale already. I don't know why I am writing you a novel about this...LOL...sorry...you have solved it for yourself...cause your AWESOME...have a great day WE HAVE THREE INCHES OF SNOW HERE TODAY WTH!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:26 pm

Getting on the scale really messes with me too. I really like nbh76's idea of weighing every 21 days, to go along with the streaks. I just wanted to stop by and say keep up the great work. You are doing a really awesome job and I think patience is the hardest change of all.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:52 am

I so relate to this kind of magical thinking iron:

"But I refused cake at work THREE TIMES this week and I still don't fit my black pants."

We're such good little negotiators at times aren't we? I bet you looked adorable pedaling your cute little preggo self to work. Is it getting warmer where you live? If you're ever interested though I got some super cute Zoic bermuda type shorts & highly recommend them.

Nbh: I hear ya on the weight not budging after forty experience but I guess we're finally doing it! And I may have talked myself off the ledge yesterday but I need all the support I can get to stay down here so thank you for all your kindness!

Kittson: I know the scale messes me when I don't weigh myself and if I weigh myself too often. I think my once a week plan will be fine if I would just actually stick w it. Maybe I'll try the 21 day weigh in if I can conquer the weekly one first.

Anyway today was pretty good. My girls roller coaster of emotions really took it out of me but ended up on a happy note at least.

Break: coco-loco smoothie, skinny mocha
Lunch: sushi, hummus w lavosh, grapes
Dinner: Persian turkey burger on lavash, salad, sm sweet potato, 1/2 glass wine

Exercise: 35 min eliptical (short but intense)

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:17 pm

OMG girls a roller coaster moods....and women and roller coaster moods...LOL I feel for you...I only had my one lovely daughter and she was a ball of emotions from day one...it IS HARD SOME DAYS ISN'T it?!!!!! Have a good day today hope everyone is happier ! 😮

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:59 am

Yes Nbh! Honestly it's harder more often than its not but I really appreciate those rare days when everything goes smoothly.

I had a day of beauty today-- nails, eyebrows waxed, hair colored & cut. I know we're suppose to enjoy these things but I hate sitting around making small talk for hours on end. I do love my hair dresser though. She's the kind of person I'd love to be friends with but I don't know how to bridge that gap from client to friend. Ah well at least I look decent although my manicurists went a little nuts and did every nail differently. I'm sure it looks great on a 20 something but a bit silly on me.

Break: overnight pb&pj oatmeal, green smoothie
Lunch: all bran, no sugar muffin; yogurt w fruit, skinny almond latte
Dinner: baked cod on wilted spinach w Asian drizzle, barley, cauliflower, banana, glass of wine

Exercise: 30 mins eliptical; 30 mins treadmill; abs

Ugh I'm dreading having our guests coming. Dh is taking his friend off-roading and leaving me to entertain the wife & their two kids. I'm certain my girls are going to fight the whole time. Okay need to try to get a better attitude or this will be miserable.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:04 am

Maybe you and the wife could go off roading and leave the husbands home with the kids? Sounds easy more fun that way :twisted:

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:44 pm

Well...I am dying to know how that little visit went...LOL...ALSO different colored nails DO NOT have an age limit. ALSO maybe your husband should have taken one look at you and decided he needed to take YOU out for a romantic dinner...BAMMMMM I said it 😶

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:12 pm

Entertaining wife & kids does sound stressful. It reminds me of having to go out to dinner with husbands friends and their wives who I am not that close with. It's not easy to put on the happy face and get through it.

I bet your nails look great! I like to paint my ring-finger nails a contrasting color than the rest of my nails, but that happens oh, maybe twice a year. :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:56 pm

I know right ginger? Grrrrr....I really need learn to speak up!

Nbh: I wish! Instead we opted for romantically exercising side by side. Ah well I'll have to wait till our weekend getaway later this month.

As for my nails, nothing wrong w different colored nails and I usually go for that one nail different from the rest too kit but I wish I could post a picture so you could see. I told her all green w a silver stripe except one white w a flower. Well what I got was....

1) white w two colored dots
2) green w silver stripes
3) white w 5 pink roses
4) green w silver polka dots
5) white & clear vertical stripes
6) white w silver stripes
7) whit/silver horizontal stripes
8)green w two pink roses
9) white w 2 colored dots
10) white/green stripes

Okay I know you really didn't need to know all that but it's just a little overkill. Each one is beautiful by itself, really she's a true artist but together looks like someone was practicing on me. And hmmm maybe she was. Why I didn't speak up? Seems to be a recurring problem here. I guess I didn't want to seem impolite or hurt her feelings yet this is expensive gel polish plus I gave her a fat tip. Ugh I'm going to be firm next time. Really!!