Introducing myself

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

cyndimay

Introducing myself

Post by cyndimay » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Hello,
I am a 39 year old, wife and mom. I also work full-time. I have about 40 pounds to lose. The thought of going into the next decade of my life with this excess weight is quite depressing. I thought I had better find a simple no-nonsense plan to get healthier. My biggest struggles right now are sugar cravings and lack of energy. I have been working on trying to get at least 7 hours of quality sleep each night but I still wake up tired. I've been wanting to exercise, but I can't find the energy to do it consistently. Do you think this plan will help with those two areas? I read about quite a few diets and really want something that will fit into my life seamlessly.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:37 pm

No telling. No S can affect other areas, but it's not designed to, and there are no promises. However, it is a very reasonable way to deal with the incredible availability of food, and is used successfully for that by millions of people in food-rich countries.

Please try to think that what you need is a way to solidify a habit of eating moderately rather than that you have to lose 40 lbs. No matter how much you lose, you're going to have to live a certain way to maintain it, so you might as well start with what's doable for the long run. You may get inspired to change more over time.

Also, see freegirl's post on exercise. It may inspire you to find a way to fit it in, though with your obligations, you might need to do it in spurts during the day rather than all at once. I myself haven't found that exercise increases sleep quality but a lot of people do.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

cyndimay

Post by cyndimay » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:22 am

HI oolala53! Everything you said makes sense. I have never thought about the fact that we are a "food-rich" country. We do have food EVERYWHERE.

So, is 3 meals a day what the rest of the world does? Have I been missing something...lol.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:00 pm

A lot of the world does two. Some places do four; breakfast, dinner, tea and light supper.

It's really a cultural decision. Three is the US standard. At least, it used to be three till we started believing in the power of snacks.

jbgnos

new here

Post by jbgnos » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Hello all:
I'm new here and have started using the No S guidelines just this week. It's so simple, but it does require a lot of adjustments on my part.
I am similar to you, Cindimay in that I am in my 40s, a full time working mom and have some fat to shed.
In order to get the non-snacking rule down, I have to add a bit to each meal to hold me over. In order to get the No sugar rule, I have to find fruits and plain yogurt or whatever else I like to have as a kind of "finisher" for the end of my meals. In order to do the no seconds, I have to PUT the darned food on a plate! So, while simple, it does in fact cause a cascade of changes to my eating habits, and the very ones that I struggle with so I'm looking forward to the journey here.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:47 pm

I look to the world for countries that have access to plenty of food, but still have a relatively slim culture. (Poor countries don't count...) France and Italy are the two most obvious, and they tend to eat three meals a day, though some regions have exceptions, and recent influence of American culture is playing havoc with their traditions and their weight. Their breakfasts are very small, and of the other two meals, usually one is rather "medium." But savoring and sharing in a relaxed way is essential. I think it is rare to speak of "grabbing" food in general in those cultures. I'm convinced that the surrender to the supposed need for speed is a missing link. Every meal doesn't have to be elaborate or take hours, but food should be revered MOST of the time, if we are going to be sated with moderation.
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

cyndimay

Post by cyndimay » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:43 pm

Those are interesting things to think about. As I was driving home today I really paid attention to all the restaurants that we have. In a 10 minute drive I passed 7 restaurants. I have never really asked myself why we have all that in such a short distance.

We use food for everything...to celebrate, to relax, to reward, to entertain ourselves.....we even had television stations all about food. These first few days on this program have really made me think about my/our supposed need for so much food all the time.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:32 am

We don't need it; it's just so easy to want it and to sell. For most people, it is an automatic reinforcer. Humans are meant to eat! In nearly all countries that get access to abundant food, their populations become overweight. Only those with cultural traditions that limit intake don't follow the trend.

The naturally thin person in the midst of plenty is an anomaly. Possible, but statistically atypical.

Moderation is a cultural habit. It does not come naturally, especially with, but not limited to, processed foods.

Have fun with one of the smartest ways to eat deliciously there is! IMHO.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

cyndimay

Post by cyndimay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:00 pm

My first week was not terrible but not great either. I did well Mon. - Wed. But Thursday was a struggle and I struggled on Friday too. Sat. and Sun., although Sdays still didn't go the way I planned. I wanted to keep the 3 meals and just add the sweets to a meal. Didn't work that way. I nibbled and nibbled. I felt really out of control.

Let's see if the second week will be better.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:59 pm

So glad for your 3 successes! Does struggle mean you wanted to eat outside the guidelines but didn't? Or that you did eat extra but had to work hard not to eat even more? Either way, the journey has begun!

BTW, trying to keep to eating sweets with a meal only on an S day is a modification at this point. I say you had completely successful S days! So you've had 5 of 7 successful days. The general thought is not to impose any limitations on S days until you have a few months of N days down pat. Early modifications often lead to it being much easier to fail and thus not get any sense of success. It's easier to build on success than on failure. It's just about always easier to get tougher on yourself as you go than go tough and then back off.

I know you may have that weight loss front and center and can't believe you can get there with the plan as is. But fighting yourself 7 days a week is hard work.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

cyndimay

Post by cyndimay » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:40 pm

oolala, I did snack and eat sweets on Thursday and Friday.

I guess I didn't think of eating my sweet with a meal on Sdays as being a modification. I was trying to be "virtuous" I suppose. I see what your are saying though.

And yes you are correct. I keep looking at my belly in the mirror and can't imagine that this plan will make it shrink. I have been reminding myself that while I want weight loss I also need to gain some control with my eating. This questions keeps popping in my head through out the day "Do you want to lose weight quickly with a more restrictive diet or will you accept slower weight loss while following a more sustainable diet?" I have not been able to give myself an answer yet.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:25 am

Consider asking yourself, am I willing to go through the process of weaning myself off extra food by feeding my body regularly and then seeing as time goes on if I can get satisfied on less, or will I try to keep telling it to be happy with less?

This is not to say that a perfect storm can't make people ready to rather easily make drastic changes (option 2 above) with very little kerfluffle, but that is so unusual and SO hard to manufacture that less drastic means are just a better bet statistically.

I say you had a very good first week. I gently recommend you hang on to the vision of where you will be after a year of this. Review whatever you can that will solidify what you value about this and how it is actually a better choice than the alternatives. Is the alternative fair and reasonable? Is it sustainable? If not, surrender to this. (Knowing that statistically, going on a diet is one of the most reliable predictors of weight gain in two years made me take this very seriously.) Have a plan for what you will say to yourself when the thoughts and urges come to deviate, and perhaps even plan some alternate activities. Those will depend on your time and obligations. My alternate activities are often not very impressive, but I'm always glad I did them instead of keeping to my meals.

You can DO this. You don't have to starve, or eliminate, or do anything that entails more than mild suffering, EXCEPT get through the withdrawal symptoms. That's all urges to eat off plan are, and you probably never have to put up with them for more than a couple of hours. And there's always beverages. Sometimes a tea or decaf ritual can go a long way to making yourself feel civilized, which might be all you want at the crucial moment. But even if you can't get what you want, food won't help.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

cyndimay

Post by cyndimay » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:12 am

You must have been transmitting your thoughts telepathically...lol

I just made my first journal entry and answered some of the questions you asked.

Thank you for taking the time to offer me advice and encouragement. I will need lots of both as I proceed with this. Making physical changes is hard.....making mental changes is extremely difficult.