Gingerpie's 21 day challenge

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:58 am

success The actual choices were a bit strange but it was only at mealtime and on one plate. It was a very strange, restless day for me, not like myself at all.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:37 pm

Why? I hate those kind of days esp. if there isn't a reason....bahhhh I hope you have a better day today and YAY on your success!😆
Kindness is the only way.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:18 am

nbh76 - I don't know for sure why I've been so restless. I think I'm feeling a basic dissatisfaction with the way my life is going. Well not do much with the way it is going (I have a fine life) but that it is rudderless. I'm drifting from day to day spinning my wheels just to keep up with meals, laundry and doctors' appointments but not keeping up with my own life goals. I'm not at all sure I want to be here in 10 years but I'm not working towards not being here.

*sigh* I'd call it a mid-life crises but I'm not sure I'm "mid" anymore. :roll:

success I lost track of what day I'm on but I'm keeping a habical so I can figure it out later.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:17 am

Well it's pretty easy to figure out what day I'm on 'cause I'm back to day 1 . . .because I failed . It was sad on many levels. 1st) it was a fail. That alone was sad but wait it gets better. 2nd) the irresistible food of choice? Not 1, not 2 but 3 cherry flavored starburst. - Quick side note: cherry flavored starburst don't really taste like cherries. - and 3rd) what couldn't have been more than an 1/8 of a cup of pita chips. "An 1/8 of a cup", you ask? "Why would anyone fail for such a ridiculously small amount?" Salt my dear friend, Salt. Bottom of the bag. Need I say more?

Sometimes I hate that there isn't some way to differentiate between fail levels. But I guess then record keeping would just get too complicated and I'd spend all my time obsessing about what level of fail it was instead of just moving past it.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:18 am

It's okay...it's a fail but it is a small fail. I am fighting with the "rudderless " and making my husband and I actually do things to get us going in the direction we wanted to be in LAST YEAR...why is it so hard to just get going sometimes ?! Do little things...make lists and do one thing on it...it will help!

Have a great day tomorrow Miss 😬

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:22 am

Another fail but this one doesn't bother me. I didn't eat enough dinner and was legitimatly hungry.

So, a fly in my soup: Found out yesterday that my cholesterol is high -not near death high but clearly and distinctly high. My Dr isn't one to quickly write a 'script so she recommended I look into a diet by the man of Mcdougal. So I did. It is crazy and there is no way I'll stick to anything like it. My current plan is to make what dietary changes I can to my existing diet in 3 week chunks.
So, for example for the 1st 3 weeks I'll switch to whole grain breakfast For my N-days and leave my s-days alone. (Probably oatmeal until I find others I like as much) after 3 weeks I'll tweek something related to supper or possibly start to eliminate dairy fats. ( I.e. cheese, butter etc. ) again I'll leave my s-days alone.

Wish me luck. I'm at a bit of a loss because quite frankly, my diet is already very heart friendly and any changes I make are going to be minor. I'm just hoping minor changes will yield big results.

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:25 am

On Pinterest there are oatmeal mason jars that I use. You can make them up a month at a time and they are really tasty, portable and convenient. Best of luck to you with all your health endeavors :!:

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Boooo I am upset for you. You know some of the more recent news doesn't rule out good fats ?! Isn't the McDougall situation the one were he is absolutely adamant about not eating animal, dairy and fats? Bahhhh I think your plan is good. My husband is working on his too and he is trying eat just whole foods and real fats and upping his exercise and is showing improvement AND HE DRINKS BEER EVERY NIGHT LOL. Take your time and see what works for you...every person is different.

lin47

Post by lin47 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:21 pm

Gingerpie, fwiw, my mother was told years ago that her cholesterol was high, despite being a normal weight, a regular exerciser, and eating fairly decently. She's on a ton of other medication for glaucoma, so she didn't want to add more to the list. She decided to make one change: Eat oatmeal for breakfast daily. Her cholesterol normalized, and she has never had a problem since. I think your plan to make small changes is a good one.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:36 am

Retrogirl - that is a great idea. I've been thinking of starting to do make-ahead breakfasts. This is a good opportunity to get that started.

Nbh76 - yah, that's the one. Really seems too extreme for me. Plus, I just don't agree with some of mcdougall's advice. I'm feeling a little sorry for myself 'cause I've already made sooo many heart healthy changes (Heart disease runs in my family so I was being proactive) and it doesn't seem fair. I did some internet research today and it seems like the lack of whole grains in my diet really is the biggest defficit so I'll start there. I'll continue to lose weight but I'm not that much overweight (10-15 pounds at the most) so I'm not sure it will make much difference. Anyway, one step at a time. I'll figure it out.

Lin47. Thanks for the encouraging story. I'm hoping for a similar experience. I already exercise most days of the week; I only eat meat of any kind occasionally (not even every week) I only drink fat free milk. I do eat eggs and cheese but not daily nor do I use butter daily. My diet consist largely of beans and vegetables and grains. I only indulge in sweets very occasionally and I'm a normal BMI although on the high side. Like I said. With no-s I've even mostly given up chips and crackers. The whole grains seem like the only obvious adjustment.

Thanks everybody for the support. I appreciate it. I'm glad I have no-s to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Today: success

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:50 am

Hi gingerpie!

We're dealing with the high cholestrol stuff over here too. High cholestrol is highly determined by genetics from my understanding. I have slightly high cholestrol but so does my size 4 marathon running super healthy eating sister. My mom has it and despite her healthy diet and great fitness level it remained high so she was put on meds. No shame in that. Apparently not everyone responds to dietary/exercise changes.

Also, I would suggest maybe peaking at the spectrum dr ornish diet. It is a little more flexible depending upon each persons current health status and there's a whole section on painless ways to try to lower cholestrol. I like that!

I'd say try making a few realistic changes a try but if that doesn't work you can look at the pros & cons to meds.

Good luck!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:17 am

hey gingerpie - sorry to hear that news. I really hope your reasonable dietary tweaks give you a change in the right direction. Also, I agree with Linda that sometimes genetics just get you. My slim, active uncle has high cholesterol, while my plump, butter-lovin' grandmother never had an issue.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks Linda and ironchef. I've stopped sulking and am getting down to business. I can definitely make some diatary changes and (theoretically) in the process lose more weight which should help as well. My plan is to give it a good go for 6 months then be re-tested. That last month I'll keep a detailed food/exercise log. That way, if dietary changes alone don't work, I'll be able to show the Dr. Exactly what I've tried.

I am so glad I already have no-s and exercise, more or less, securely in place. I just have to tweak what I'm eating not make a major overhaul.

No-s day ?: s-day

Enjoy your weekend everybody.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:27 pm

That is a perfect plan and keeping track will really allow you and your Doctor to have a real discussion if the numbers aren't better. I know people in my own life that would benefit from that strategy. You are a smart person Miss Gingerpie! Have a nice weekend 🢠yep it's a turtle...I want to use all the emoji's

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:25 pm

Perfect you rock !! 👊

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:07 am

No -s: s -day

Thanks everybody for the encouragement. The first cholesterol related change I'm making is oatmeal for breakfast on n-days. Today is my first official day on my new plan and the habical is ready and waiting for tonight's update.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:22 am

No-s day 1: success

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:35 am

Good for you :D

KathieM

Post by KathieM » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi Gingerpie

Thanks for the warm welcome!

My dh also had borderline high cholesterol. He cut out cream in his coffee and tea and also started eating oatmeal for breakfast everyday (He doesn't take milk on it) In 3 mos he dropped down to normal range. No meds. He's not overweight and he also exercises at least 3 times a week - but he did that before he tested positive for high cholesterol. So I think the deciding factor was diet.

Wishing you all the best :!:

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:49 am

When I'm tired I really should go to bed :oops:
fail

Got my whole grains in but seriously misjudged how much I should eat. Was hungry all day

Also was a bit "pissy" all evening. Really wanted my personal space but the kids were all over me.

Well, tomorrow is a good time to try again. "If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try again. "

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:32 am

Oh geesh! Looks like a lot of us were over hungry today! I just had dinner but I'm still starving! I'm already planning a nice big breakfast tomorrow!

Also relate to the need for personal space. One of the many parenting challenges! Tomorrow will be better I'm sure. ðŸ‘

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:36 am

Hi Gingerpie! Good luck with your new program. It's always something, huh? I think I have high c too, but I haven't done anything about it. Your right, it does run in families. Maybe I will take some pointers from you. :lol:
Always learning.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:52 pm

Have a good day Gingerpie...try and revel in your pissiness ( is that even a word lol )I find I always feel so much better when I just go with it...I can be kind of a B once and awhile !

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:04 am

Day 1: failed I'm going to have to do some serious thinking about my goals. I'm having some trouble keeping them front and center.

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:13 am

Don't quit....you can do this:). According to Daily Mail it takes 7 attempts and 5 years for a person to quit smoking....but you know what, I had 3 grandparents and my father who quit permanently. You can do this!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:12 am

Hi retrogirl, I won't quit. I just need to problem solve. I think that the addition of the need to think about what I'm eating threw me off my game a bit.

I was able to get to the grocery store yesterday and replaced all my grains with whole grains so I'm completely set for phase 1 and 2 of my plan and I can stop thinking about food again. 8) thinking about it too much definitely sets up a bad feedback loop for me.

Thanks for stopping by and the support.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:16 pm

It's definitely loop throwing when you go to such lengths and the numbers still crap on you. You've got this though and today is a NEW MONTH and I STILL have a yard of snowwwwwww. ( it is always about me...) Have great April fools day and try not to be the fool...LOLðŸ’

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:25 am

A new month but old habits continue to haunt me. :roll: failfail but not a terrible one. We have a house guest and I couldn't resist some nuts my husband put out.

Glass ceiling and my new oatmeal habits are coming along nicely although I've had a setback with no-s. I'm confident I'll get back into the swing of things soon though.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:59 pm

Of course you will...duhhh 😊

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:05 pm

You got this! ðŸ‘

lin47

Post by lin47 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:31 pm

You will be fine, ginger! Not sure if this applies to you, but with me, anything that is a bit off my usual routine tends to throw me for a loop temporarily. If that's the case for you, cut yourself some slack: You know you'll get back to it.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:01 am

Big sigh of relief: sigh with me . . . *sigh* . . . I can start counting again. So, I will. Challenge day 1 success

I'm especially pleased because we went out to dinner with a friend and I decided to no-s it. It definitely helped that I was familiar with the restaurant so I was able to decide beforehand what I was going to order. I think that really helped to reduce impulsivity and I'm going to try it more often in the future. We eat out often enough that I don't feel compelled to make every dinner out an "s" event.

S-days are comin'! Enjoy!

[/b]

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:58 am

So happy for you Gingerpie!! Keep up the good work. You are inspiring me to persevere :D

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:12 pm

Congrats on your success! Especially at a restaurant out with a friend, that is awesome!

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:46 pm

YAYYYYYY! Have a great weekend Gingerpie 😊

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:30 am

s - day another s-day traveling under the guise of an n-day. I love when that happens without even trying. Well, of course I tried a little bit (life isn't magical) and I have a year's worth of no-s practice under my belt. (Pun intended) but it was incredibly painless and simple. The best part is that my belly is sooooo happy today that I didn't eat all that fried fish yesterday. :lol:

I weighed in yesterday. I'm losing again -yay- I do this weird thing that cracks me up . . . I'm 5 feet 4 and 1/2 inches tall. I often check my bmi using both 5'4" AND 5'5". I'm happy to report that my bmi is in the "normal" range for both. I've been thinking about giving up the scale and focus entirely on the habit but I'm a little nervous about that and don't quite trust myself to stick to it without the scale as feedback. But I'm getting close enough to my goal that the scale's feedback isn't particularly valuable anymore and maybe focusing on my choices is more important than focusing on the weight loss. I guess I'll stick to what I'm doing for now. It is working and I'll just have to trust myself to know when it's time to give up the scale.

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:49 am

Gingerpie, that is huge! Well done:)

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Way to go gingerpie!!! I will confess that I am in between 5'5" and 5'6" and just yesterday I checked BMI's for both heights, lol!! My doctor swears I'm 5'6" but I don't really believe her. :)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:05 am

Challenge day 3: s-day

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:39 pm

You go girl !!! Also OMG I do the same thing with the height ... I too am 5' 4 1/2" ( my daughter says I am 5'2"...she is 5' 7 and thinks it's hilarious )... In my next life I am going to be tall...and blond...and thin...ðŸ˜

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:05 pm

Just stopping over to say Happy Easter. And thanks for all the supportive words you leave on my thread. You are one of the reasons the No S community rocks!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:37 am

Yay-so glad things are going well! Still losing weight even w a couple bumps here & there. Just goes to show persistence does payoff!

Have a great week!

Linda

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:13 am

Challenge day 4: success

Got out for the first actual trail hike of the season. It was gorgeous weather and a great hike. I went with my 11 year old. She's a great little hiking companion; Talks enough to be companionable but not so much as to break the mood.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:47 pm

YAY Gingerpie!!! Also nice on the hike too! My daughter and I... she is the only one I really enjoy hiking with . We both start out strong...get crabby at the same time and still find the humor in all of it...she's the best. Have a lovely day today Miss!

Retrogirl

Post by Retrogirl » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:13 pm

Great job ginger pie!!! Daughters are such an incredible blessing:)

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:29 pm

Great job on the success! Hiking with your daughter sounds wonderful. I am looking forward to when my son will be able to go for walks with me.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:59 pm

Good job! I love hiking, and that's great you can take your daughter with you! My boys are still a little young, and I'm looking forward to being able to do that with them in a few years.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:18 am

fail should have just gone to bed. I had paperwork to finish for my Mother so I was working until 9:30. Then felt like I had to"relax" with my husband with a movie, a glass of wine and a serving of chips. I really have to figure out what the payoff is for snacking. I already know what the cost is.

Positive side? one glass of wine and one serving of chips. Sure is a lot better than a year ago :shock:

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:02 pm

I was listening to Progress over Perfection podcast with Alen Standish (formerly brain over binge podcast), and he said something really remarkable regarding eating behaviors. He said something like progress with eating is really when the regression to unwanted behaviors (in the No S case, snacking) isn't as severe as it was in the past. So even when we do the unwanted behavior, if the behavior isn't as intense as the previous times, then that is huge progress. I thought that was really interesting and just wanted to share it with you because it has really helped me.

What kind of wine do you like? I love any type of Sweet Red. :)

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:05 pm

I WANT SOME WINE...! 😬 Was it the paperwork that caused the situation...?! You are smart to realize it is better then last year...this is why you are one of my inspirations btw ! Have a GREAT day today Miss !

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:48 am

nbh76: I think it probably was the paperwork that got me goin'. I knew when I stood up from the desk that I was going to have a glass of wine and did absolutely nothing to stop the momentum.

I've sold my soul to the devil and signed a gas lease for my mother on a farm she owns. As a consequence I don't have to worry about how she is going to pay for her care but also as a consequence there are a million worrisome little details to attend to. I've also started pre-planning funeral arrangements on her behalf. It evokes very strange conflicting emotions. On the one hand, I know that when the time comes to need the arrangements I'll be glad I took care of things ahead of time. On the other hand. . . I'm making funeral arrangements for my mother.

Well, tonight I have a nice warm cup of milk. It's like a hug in a mug :wink:

good night all

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:22 am

Wow gingerpie - lots going on in your life! Congrats on the progress! It absolutely counts!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:25 am

Oh ginger your post made me teary. My mom is in good health but getting up there in the years. I cannot bear to think of her passing but you are being so brave & smart to deal head on with these issues. A glass of wine? I think I would have had the whole bottle. And you even learned from last night & went for the milk. Awesome job. Wish I could give you a real *hug*.

Hang in there. You're doing great.

Linda

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:25 pm

You are amazing. It must be so hard and strange to have do these things. It is a real testament of your relationship with your mother...you all must be strong women! I am in awe of you... I told my parents they need to get on their planning 'cause I wasn't paying for it...LOL and blehhhhhh.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:39 pm

Wishing you the best as you make these arrangements. What a tough thing to do. But how awesome that you are taking care of yourself so well and chose the warm milk. Great job gingerpie!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:57 pm

failed again. Chips again but only one serving. It's such a small amount it is hard to call it a fail. But it is. And I did. :?

Positives? Had my whole grains yesterday and no wine last night. Hey wait!! Aren't tortilla chips whole grain? I'm seeing a win/win in this :lol:

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:02 am

Warning personal story To follow: Might be TMI for some folks.

I'm filled with a great sadness unrelated to no-s. 16 years ago my husband's mother died of cancer exactly one week before my sister. Now, my mother is on a steady decline (she no longer makes adequate blood cells and we have stopped transfusions) and my husband' s sister is dying of a brain tumor. She'll be moving to a hospice soon.

I share this to explain that I no longer have words in my heart to share with you all. So, I'll continue to keep on with no-s and to keep my habitcal but I need to go back to lurking.

It is a difficult thing to explain why I've lost my words.

I hope to be back soon.

Virginia

lin47

Post by lin47 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:41 am

Virginia, I am so sorry. I don't have words either, but I will pray for you and your family.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:36 pm

Oh no I am so so sad for you and your family. This is too much sadness for anyone. I am sorry you are going through this...please take care of yourself...there really are no words to help. Life is just too hard sometimes.

DSTSS

Post by DSTSS » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:26 pm

I am so sorry! Life deals some hard blows at times. {{Hugs}} May you find peace and comfort.

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:04 pm

I am sorry to hear what's going on in your family. Wishing you and your family comfort and peace.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:05 pm

I'm so sorry very for what your going through Virginia. Life is so unfair sometimes.

Big hugs to you and please take care of yourself during this difficult time.

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:22 am

So sorry to hear you are going through so much at the moment, and completely understand why you don't have the energy for writing.

Very best wishes, and we'll all be thinking of you.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Just stopping by to say I was thinking about you Virginia and hoping things aren't to terrible for you today. Try and take time to get rest if you can...let people help you.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:58 pm

I'm so sorry you and your family are going through all of this. :cry: my thoughts and prayers are with you.

freegirl

Post by freegirl » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:17 am

Virginia, I am so sorry for what you and your family are going through. Take care of yourself.

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:39 am

Virginia, I am so extremely sorry to hear about what your family is going through! :cry: Sending you many warm thoughts and prayers going up for you. God Bless!
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:17 pm

HI Guys,

Thanks for all the well wishes. things are chugging along about the same as they were. It's good I backed off the computer a bit. I feel much more in control of my time now.

Anyway, no-s wise: I've been 100% compliant with oatmeal breakfast and exercise goals - yay- but pretty dismal with both no-s and glass ceiling goals- boo-

However, and this is why I love no-s, I'm still losing and I feel better than ever. Although I have a huge amount of red on my habitcal, the fails have all been very minor. (one handful of nuts here, one glass of wine there. . . that type of thing) I'm also thinking my daily "optimal" healthy oatmeal breakfast is helping my energy levels in general. My weekday lunches have also started drifting toward the optimal end of the spectrum without even putting too much effort into it. I just have to make sure to do the shopping in a timely manner. I do wish I could get my no-s and glass ceiling calendars to be more green but clearly, good enough does not = perfect.

Enjoy your weekend everybody.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:01 am

You are doing great ginger! Sometimes when we reach for the stars we get the moon instead which is pretty darn good. 👌ðŸŒ

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:11 am

I'm glad to hear things are going pretty well with your eating. You definitely don't have to be perfect, to achieve good results. I love the way you said that, Linda! It's very true!

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:40 pm

Hi Gingerpie. I just want to give you a big hug. I am so sorry to hear about all the things going on in your family. I don't have any words of wisdom to share, but just know you are in my thoughts and prayers. Take care.
Always learning.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:32 am

Gingerpie you are so far ahead of the game ! I think of you every day ( at 9 ) I hope you find ways to get a little peace here and there. Be well dear Virginia.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 02, 2015 12:28 pm

I'm kind of looking the weekend update style of posting. Makes it seem like something special.

Anyway: Things are exactly the same as last week :roll:
I have four things I track on habitcal: no-s, glass ceiling, exercise and oatmeal (or high fiber) for breakfast. For April, exercise and oatmeal were 100% success. glass ceiling 74% success and no-s a very disappointing 54% success rate. In May, I think I'll focus the bulk of my effort on glass ceiling. I'm thinking alcohol is probably more detrimental overall than a handful of nuts or crackers even if the handfulls happen more often than the alcohol.

Other good news? My husband and son are following right along with the no-s style of eating although we haven't had any outright conversation about it. And, everyone is being generally more helpful around the house. Even the 11year old whines about It less.

And on that happy note.
Have a nice weekend everybody.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:26 am

Weekend updates are a treat. I doubt your fails are excessive, and you are definitely eating differently than you were at the beginning of the year. That's more than most people can say. And the family following along is fab.

BTW, sorry about family troubles. Hope you find peace soon.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Not too shabby this week. 9 days in and only 1 fail. Weirdly, it has seemed easy again. Life is quite curious sometimes.

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Sun May 10, 2015 10:31 pm

Happy Mother's Day !!!ðŸ’ðŸ»

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Hello gingerpie! Glad to be back so I can read your posts and comments again :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 16, 2015 10:01 pm

16 days into the month and I'm very happy with my progress. So far I only have one red mark on any of my four calendars -one glass over my glass ceiling. It sure is nice to see all that green (and yellow) after my dismal showing last month.

Other habit improvements I've noticed this month:
* Continuing to move towards healthier food choices without much effort and virtually no internal debate. I've started adding a green salad at dinner time although it is no way a goal and if I don't have one I don't worry about it.
* Eating less at meals - this one, surprisingly, has caused me a small amount of anxiety as I'm a bit worried that I'm not eating enough to get me through the day if I'm not a little stuffed at the end of a meal. It has been a bit of a leap of faith to stop at the "just satisfied" mark. *sigh* It's a work in progress :wink:
* saving a noticeable amount on the grocery budget. Makes me wonder just how much I was eating!! Not really, the real explanation is that the whole family is eating less. . . not just me. Turns out, if you don't buy it, they won't eat it. Who knew?
* lost another pound and really need to go clothes shopping but I don't want to yet as I have another 8-10 pounds to my goal. It might just be enough to drop another size . . . I'm not sure.

I'm already a little worried about the summer. The structure of the school/work day has really helped me follow no-s. I'm a bit concerned that the free flowing summer days will prove to be my undoing. I'm already looking up nice summer recipes that can be grilled, crock-potted, or served cold to serve as my defaults. Having easy to prepare default recipes really helped me out during the winter.

Enjoy your weekend everybody. Hope all is going well.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon May 18, 2015 5:55 am

You're doing fantastic and don't worry too much about the summer (other than the summertime bickering--ugh!). I don't work but following nos has not been a problem for me. You can do it!

I think 10 lbs is suppose to be about one size so you very well may go down a size. Still it's nice to have some clothes you feel good in now so don't put off that shopping too long!

Linda :)

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 18, 2015 9:25 am

I'm with Linda on the clothes - buy one or two things maybe to feel nice in now.

Doing really well and I noticed you're also giving brilliant advice to everyone else :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

NoS-er

Post by NoS-er » Thu May 21, 2015 1:20 pm

_______
Last edited by NoS-er on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue May 26, 2015 12:54 am

NoS-er, I started out with a BMI in the overweight category but have managed to lose about 25 -30 lbs so that I'm now happily in the "normal" BMI range. I think I have about 10 more to go based in my body's frame and by what I see in the mirror (muffin top and plenty of jiggles) I'm a bit sceptical about what I see in the mirror though as I know self perception can be notoriously inaccurate. All in all it took me about 18 months.

Today's check in: finally made my 21 Day challenge :!: :!: :!:
And I'm up to Day 17 of my glass ceiling goal. Optimal breakfast (oats) and daily exercise are still going along nicely although I missed two exercise days this last week. I'm not concerned though because they are the first I've missed in a couple months. I'm confident I'll get back to it this week.

I'll just keep riding the wave of success until I fail then I'll catch the wave again. 8)

Good luck everybody.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue May 26, 2015 12:54 pm

Wohooo! That is wonderful gingerpie. Everything now is a bonus. At least that's how I see it. I could do with 5-10lbs less but from a health perspective I'm done and so are you :) That's definitely worth a testimonial.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 27, 2015 5:36 am

Yay--you're are doing so great and should be very proud of your hard earned success! 🎉🎉🎉

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed May 27, 2015 7:53 am

gingerpie wrote:I'm up to Day 17 of my glass ceiling goal.
All good news, gingerpie! Congratulations. I think the glass ceiling suceess is especially great, as that can be such a tough habit to change, when in the same environment with same cues, etc. You're doing so well!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:18 pm

Uhmmmm how did I not catch that you lost that much weight ?! That is so great and I am so glad I read that today...it is exactly what I needed to read...I'm gleaning good info from all my favorite members to try and get back on track for nothing more then my SANITY! LOL

'I'll just keep riding the wave of success until I fail then I'll catch the wave again." I'm trying for a wave right now! :shock:

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR 21 DAYS TOOOOOOO!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:44 am

nbh76, I think you never caught it because I never said it :wink: I try to focus on the habits not the weight but I haven't quite been able to give up the scale yet.

Check in: I'm very happy with how the month went:
* I only had 2 fails with no-s. One of them today (the 31st) So I can still try to make June a Perfect month. That would be very satisfying.
* I also only had one glass ceiling fail and I made my first glass ceiling 21 Day streak.
* Exercise is still going great with my first two fails in a couple months. . . and
* 100% compliance with optimal breakfast.

All in all a good month.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:06 pm

gingerpie wrote: I try to focus on the habits not the weight but I haven't quite been able to give up the scale yet.
Love that!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Lovedby2

Lovedby2

Post by Lovedby2 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi Gingerpie. That is so encouraging that you have lost the weight. Slow and steady wins the race!! That encourages me because I am a slow looser too. Thanks! Hope you stay around.
Always learning.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:18 am

I love that you're focusing on habits and not the scale too much. I think that's what gives this lasting power. Sometimes I'll catch myself saying "what's a little bite or two off plate going to hurt?" But then I remember I don't want to sabatoge the good habits I've worked so hard to build. The habits are what make me feel sane and allow me to focus on the rest of my life. Weight loss is just an added bonus!

Anyway wanted to thank you for stopping by my thread. I just realized I never responded to your suggestion of having a plan B exercise plan. I do think it's a good idea. I just somehow feel guilty working out without Dh. I feel like we're in this together but I've decided on days he can't workout I'm going to do a yoga/stretching home routine. Thanks for the suggestion & keep up the awesome work!!!

Linda :)

nbh76

Post by nbh76 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:59 pm

You did have a good month... !!!! I can not believe btw that it is June...LOL !

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:20 pm

Had a terrible no-s week but everything else is going great. Sure wish June started out a little cleaner but I guess I'll just have to get down to business this week. Not sure what is happening but I think it is related to trying to add a salad (as opposed to a heavier starch based choice) to my usual yogurt, fruit and chia lunch. I'm going back to starches this week to see if it helps. I've also been sulking all week because the frozen mango that I use in my yogurt is so sour it is almost inedible. I finally gave up, tossed the rest of the bag, and switched to blueberries. At least I'm not sulking any more :)

Have a great week everybody.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:25 pm

Ha gingerpie! That was a funny post. Glad you switched your fruit.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:07 am

Well! These have been the worst two weeks I've had in over a year. Fails everyday. But . . . And I'm very pleased with this . . . I'm keeping more or less to the no-s basics so even though I've failed everyday they haven't been over-the-top fails and my weight, so far, is holding steady.

I've been struggling with the dramatic change in schedule with the advent of summer. (I work in a school) And, for some mysterious reason, one meal each day had been insubstantial which leads to snacking later in the day. But I think things will settle this week and I'll just keep plugging along regardless.

I've added two summer specific goals to help get a handle on household chores/maintenance:

1 hour if paperwork a day (yes I have enough do an hour everyday all summer :cry: mine, my mother's, one high schooler researching colleges/scholarships etc, and one high schooler researching exchange programs)

1 Hour of cleaning/painting/diy repairs. Kids will help where appropriate so the one hour a day will be multiplied by 4 and I'm following the no-s schedule of 5 "workdays" followed by 2 free days. I tested it out last week and it mostly worked but I've got to set strict wake-up times for the teens or they won't slither out of their stink-holes until I'm 1/2 way through my day :roll:

Here's my week:
No-s - failed everyday but still better than pre no-s so I'm not too disheartened.
Glass ceiling - success all week and I've discovered alcohol free beer which I've substituted for my wine in the weekend. So far it is working out great. I haven't researched the sugar content in them but I'm guessing it has to be better than alcohol.
Oatmeal breakfast - 100% success
1 hour paperwork - 100 % success and
1 hour cleaning - 100% success

Not a perfect week by any means but still moving in the direction I want to go.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:16 am

love your attitude!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 pm

It's so hard adjusting to summer isn't it? I keep finding myself having to virtually plate for lunch because we're running around so much. An hour of paperwork a day sounds like a lot but good for you for just getting done what you need to! I have a huge pile of paper that needs filing but yeah I'm an avoider!

Btw I technically fail pretty much every day but as long as I keep losing weight, I'm not going to worry about it too much.

Linda

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 am

In an attempt to stop my descent into dietary mayhem, I'm going to really concentrate on after dinner snacking. I feel I have a handle on the rest of the day. (The slips throughout the day are minor - a bite here or there) but I'm sliding back into significant fails after dinner.

So, here's my plan - stop eating after dinner :roll: Ha! I bet you thought I'd try something new and revolutionary. My glass ceiling has been going really well so I'm thinking I can build off of that success. I somehow have to remind myself that my mind is not my own best friend after 8:00 pm. In fact, it turns into the enemy. I get frustrated with myself because all my sensible reasoning flies out the window between 8 and 11 pm. I've even been known to eat something on my way to bed! How in the world did I convinced myself that was an ok thing to do? Ummm, good question. Maybe if I can answer that I'll find my key. I wonder if it would help to keep a food journal of sorts and before I eat I answer the question "why am I eating? ". . . Yep, that feels right. During my high risk time I'm always on the couch with my husband so I can keep the journal in the coffee table. I'll try that.

Thanks for the help :wink: you guys always come through for me!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:49 pm

That cracked me up gingerpie! Sounds like a good plan.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:15 pm

last week went better than the week before but I still have work to do. I've had a lot of fails but only one of any size.

No-s: still working on eliminating the return of the evening munchies. Doing pretty well with it but not ideal.
Glass Ceiling: 100% success and on day 12 toward my 2nd 21-day streak.
Oatmeal: 100% success (except for today because I'm out of milk :( What a sad reason to fail.)
Cleaning sched: 100% success
Paperwork sched: Missed two days but I had good excuses ;) OK not really but they seemed like good excuses at the time.

Last Saturday my family participated in a hiking challenge. It was huge fun although somewhat painful and I'm still riding the high.

Hope you all have a great week.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:54 pm

You are doing so well gingerpie! Your glass ceiling is great!

As for oats: I keep some coconut milk at home for when I run out of milk - a lesson I learnt the hard way not once but many many times :) Plus, Coconut oats are delicious.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016