Longest 20 seconds of your life, shortest 10 secs...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Marreta

Longest 20 seconds of your life, shortest 10 secs...

Post by Marreta » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:50 pm

if you want to change it up at some point, there is an interval type of training, an anareobic workout, called TABATA intervals.. you can use it for any type of training, sprints, pushups, situps,whatever, and i have used it with the sledgehammer, and id like to pass it along for those who want to give it a try.. it helps if you have a interval timer, or someone to help keep track of the time.. go ALL OUT for 20 seconds, rest 10 seconds, repeat, go ALL OUT for 20 seconds, rest 10.. do this for 8 sets.. that is:
20 secs all out
10 rest
20 secs all out
10 rest
20 secs all out
10 rest
20 secs all out
10 rest
20 secs all out
10 rest
20 secs all out
10 rest
20 secs all out
10 rest
20 secs all out
10 rest
let me know how you feel after..
Marreta you got that? In Brasil, it means sledgehammer!

david

Post by david » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:23 pm

Marreta,

I've done this and it is tough. There is a good bit of science behind the Tabata protocol--if it is managed correctly you can improve your aerobic and anaerobic capacity as well as burning fat all at once.

I find doing the Tabata protocol with rope jumping to be the most difficult of all.

thanks,
David

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:12 pm

Tabata is crazy wild hard!!!!!
LOL..

Tried it with shovelglove a long time ago..
Suffice it to say, my arms nearly fell off!!!!!

I think it's really important for people to really just do a routine which will not push them past their limit... Otherwise it is discouraging and possibly they will hurt themselves..
But for the hardcore masochists......
This is the way to go!!!

Have a nice time in Brasil!
Peace and Amor,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:28 pm

Hmmm...

Sounds interesting. I've heard something about this before.

But I usually go all out (more or less) for 14 minutes straight.

I guess I could go even more all out than I do, but that seems dangerous and unpleasant... but perhaps I'm not understanding it correctly.

Thanks for posting and let us know how it goes,

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:40 pm

Well, if you are into exhaustion and totally pushing yourself to your limit, it's pleasant! :shock: LOL...

Basically, Tabata protocol is meant to totally overload the muscles and work them to the point of exhaustion...
Fun??? LOL...

You do as many reps as you physically can, within 20 seconds, then rest for ten, then repeat... you try to do this for like four minutes, or something...
I could only do two or three repetitions like this with "hoist the sack" last year...
It's truly for hardcore masochists :)

Have a great day Reinhard!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness