progress

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Manishavyas

progress

Post by Manishavyas » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:02 am

hi everyone , checking in after almost 3 months , and what can i say except habit is king.
my starting weight was 110 kg at the beginning of march 2015 and today i weighed in at 99.6 kg.
so 4 months later my weight stands at two digits now.
thanks everyone who encouraged me at the beginning of my journey . and although i have a long way to go i just thought i would let u all know about my progress.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:11 am

Wonderful! I'm so glad to read your testimonial. It's a big step to change the number of digits.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:30 am

thank you eschano..for your kind words.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:41 am

Hi Manishavyas,
That's great! I'm glad to hear that NoS is going well for your and that you're happily seeing results. Thanks for sharing.
I'd love to hear more. Were you able stick to 3 meals a day, and did that prove work out well? Assuming you are still eating mostly Indian vegetarian food, what do breakfasts look like for you? Are you using any mods, or just plain "vanilla" NoS?
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:03 am

hi sonya.although i have had my share of red days ..i found sticking to 3 regularly spaced meals is best.
i am a life long vegetarian and eat mostly food i cook for myself and my family.but i do eat eggs.
my breakfasts are usually omelettes , or avocados , or an indian traditional breakfast. these are dishes like 'poha' , 'upma' ,'besan chila'. if you google them you will get an idea of what they are about.
rest of my diet is cooked vegetables , daals or lentil soups , rice , chapatis , legumes , ghee , vegetable oils used in indian dishes.
i havent used any mods although for last three weeks i have added 1 or 2 24 hour fasts a week to my regime . more than mods i have cut out white flour and bread and pasta from my diet .i am not low carb or anything but i find i dont do well on these foods so much . they dont offer me much in terms of satiety or nutrition .
i also found that as you start to eat better you dont crave any sweets all of the time .
initially sometime in april i had read some posts about a bite counting plan followed by some boarders and i read up on that and counted my bites for a few weeks . it seems 15 to 25 bites per meal is ideal and that gave me a perspective on the amount of food i was eating. although if you get into your 3 meal habit without overloading your plates it works out the same .
for exercise i stick to yoga and walking and a couple of times a week i follow along to a resistance training video . but i dont use exercise as compensation or punishment just for the feeling of strength and better sleep i get .so nothing hardcore.
i think i have gone on quite a bit . hope it helps and do let me know if you have any questions .
thanks for the encouragement .
:)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Congratulations, Manishavyas!

I love the variety of cuisines No-s allows -- thanks for the details.

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:10 pm

Welcome and congrats!

It's pretty hard to be a low-carb vegetarian, I think... not impossible, but quite limited. Glad you allow more variety.

So white flour, breads, and pastas were a big part of your Indian cuisine? Do you make your own chapatis?

Glad you found that watching your bites for awhile helped you understand what moderation is for you. Most of us can use a few tools to get this down, but regular meals and one plate are great foundations!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:12 pm

I meant to ask, had you ever "dieted" before? Why do you think you didn't feel much deprivation from eating less? Not saying it was always easy, but it sounds like there hasn't been much drama for you. I have a theory that less previous dieting means less present drama...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:36 am

Thank you Reinhard , for coming up with this plan , for all the good work you do maintaining this forum and most of all for being a voice of reason and sanity which is getting quite rare in the world .

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:00 am

Hi Oolala53 , Thanks for the good wishes as well as encouraging me early on .
I have dieted before , have done it all in the last 4 or 5 years - calorie counting , cutting out food groups , 8 small meals a day , over exercising , even tried intermittent fasting , intuitive eating etc etc . i have a couple of failed attempts at NO S as well. And not to forget the blood group diet.
everytime i would lose a few kgs and then gain it back with interest.I have been overweight as a kid , and then managed to lose the weight before college and was ok till i had my own children .
I am 5 foot 8 inches , 38 year old woman . And i just wondered how i could have gone from being around 65 kilos to 110 at my lowest point. In Just 7 years . It was almost as if i was watching helplessly as the weight piled on.
I have no medical issues .
Breads and pastas are not a part of Indian cuisine .And refined flour or the white flour is not used in cooking much except for some desserts and fried snacks that are meant to be eaten only on special occassions.
These foods found their way into my diet in college and gradually i realised i was eating them everyday. You could even say i found i was 'addicted' to them .
And I am not demonising these foods but i am speaking from my own experience that i craved them but did not feel sated after eating them .
I mostly cook all the food that the family eats , including the chapatis . And even during No S i found i had red days of course , and they were mostly days when i was anxious or stressed about something .
But gradually following No S has made me less anxious about food , i dont miss the foods i cut out now and do well on the 3 meals . I dont think i want to go back to the cycle of under and over eating and feeling terrible all the time.
I added a day of fasting per week where i have only dinner in the evening because although i feel intermittent fasting , especially when i fasted twice a week, did not work so well for me , i am still interested in the health benefits of fasting.
so i will try it for a couple of months to see how it goes .
Rest of the time its vanilla No S .
The specific problems i have noted while fasting twice a week or even everyday for a specific time is that i always have a breakout of acne (which i normally dont have ), and after a couple of weeks on the regime my body starts to sense the deprivation and i feel the urge to eat extra.
Once a week works just fine with moderate amounts of real food , moderate exercise and overall peace of mind .
sorry for the long reply .
Thanks once again and please let me know if you have any questions .

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:24 am

Thank you so much for the complete response!

I have to say that I was never surprised by weight piling on me. I was very aware that I kept eating and eating and eating. Always feeling that I didn't want to be doing it. And yet compelled by the taste and texture. I bet you know what I'm talking about. No S is such a relief, when I'm sticking to it. Getting too full too often is just not fun.

Hope you keep enjoying the sanity.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:51 am

Very true what you said . I just couldnt get enough of certain "trigger" foods i mentioned . and that spilled over to others .
I guess when i say I was surprised i mean I felt I was eating healthy home cooked stuff most of the time and why was i putting on weight.
And of course I had no idea what a sane amount of food was.
Because I never allowed myself to eat properly so I never found out.

Habit and Moderation are very important lessons i have learnt and of course I am still learning.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:36 am

Hi, Manishavyas,
Thanks so much for answering my questions and sharing more information.
I looked up 'poha', 'upma', and 'besan chila' and they all look super yummy. (I wish I could be an intern in your kitchen!)
That's great that you could use bite counting and weekly fasting as part of the NoS program, in a way that fits in with your lifestyle and well being. NoS is so flexible.
I have PM'd you a question about making besan chila- I made a disastrous batch for breakfast today, but have hope for improvement!
All of the best to you.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks Sonya . please check your inbox , have sent you the basic recipe .
I think its fantastic that you are trying new recipes .

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:32 am

Thanks, Manishavyas
You're really upped my 'besan chila' game! I really appreciate your insights/advice.
-Sonya

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:32 am

thanks sonya. you are always welcome. will be sending along a recipe you requested soon

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:25 pm

You'll be coming up on another three months soon. I hope we'll hear an update. I, too, wish I could apprentice in your kitchen! Someone here in San Diego had a meetup group for years that was supposed to be about learning to cook Indian food. They never posted one meeting and the group closed. I was so disappointed I had taken a class once, but it was very expensive. Maybe after I retire, I'll get more serious.

BTW, I have a fantasy that someday I'll take a small group of people to India on a No S trip. Why India? Because it's cheap in comparison to so many countries and so interesting! I traveled there for several months back in the late '70's. Lots to fill the time in between meals.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Manishavyas

Post by Manishavyas » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:40 pm

hi everyone and especially oolala53. i was busy for the last six months moving my family back from hong kong to india. but no s helped me stay sane during this stressful time.
there were a lot of red days , but i managed to drop another 5 kg , today i stand at 94.
thanks for checking in on me and hope to see you in india soon.
will be more regular with my updates now.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:51 pm

Hi, Manishavyas,
Great to see you here again! I'm so glad that NoS worked for you while you were making such a big move. Another 5kg is great progress.
I thought of you when I was in Cape Town over the Christmas/New Year's holidays, as I had the opportunity to have some great tasting Indian food. There is a nice dhosa place there (yummy, but not too filling) and on Christmas day we had a lovely meal of chicken tikka, matar mushroom and bhuna gosht. I envy your skill to make Indian food at home.
Hope NoS contines to go well for you.
-Sonya

Merry

Post by Merry » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:52 am

Congratulations on the great progress (and I secretly love the idea of a scale in KG instead of pounds--double digits sounds lovely!)
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:18 pm

Belated congratulations, Manishavyas, and thanks for letting us hear from you again! Great to hear you're making steady progress despite stress induced red days.

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:31 pm

Just caught up with this. Congrats on the continued success! I thought I might be coming to India in fall of 2016, but it looks like it will be at least another year. Still depending on Patak's and Ashoka's brands, among others, for my Indian food. They flavor a lot of things that aren't usually on an Indian menu! Barley, rye berries, and a lot of vegetables, to name a few. Needless to say, I won't be opening a restaurant soon. But I enjoy my meals.

See you on the boards in a few months, I hope!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23