Imogen's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:11 pm

Hey Imogen,

Boy do I feel your pain. That might be one of my worst issues too. Ironically, that's where counting calories seemed to save me (not suggesting in any way to switch to that). But just for comparison, last year when I found myself alone A LOT with an infant who didn't interact yet, DH working late everydayand being 'out of sorts' with nothing I could really do, I found a hobby in calorie counting (couldn't do courses, read, watch a movie etc for obvious reasons!) but I could take teeny little breaks off and on throughout the day/night and I had the time to count calories so why not, I thought. I came across this website where a woman talked about maintaining her ideal weight which resonated with me at the time, she said: "When I had a full-time job, eating five meals a day made me stop thinking about work and start thinking about food five times a day instead of three. That made it harder for me to lose weight. Besides, I was so busy preparing and cleaning up after all those little meals that I hardly had time to count the calories in them. But then I lost my job. While I was unemployed and sitting around, I thought about food most of the time anyway. So why not eat five meals a day? All those meals made my periods of hunger shorter, and that made it easier for me to lose weight.
You might want to try different eating schedules and see what works best for you at this particular time in your life." At the time all I had to look forward to was eating so it filled the gap, and quite nicely I might add. I agree it may be pathetic, but it worked for me, AND I even got to goal. Having said all that, if you're planned nighttime activities aren't working, I hesitantly say maybe try a different schedule...like a snack after work, dinner a couple hours later, and a drink or tiny dessert/snack before bed? I know that probably sounds crazy to NoSer's and could backfire into a BAD HABIT but I humbly say it worked for me and made me happy during lonely times. I wish you luck!!!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks a lot for your ideas, Sinnie! You've always been so wonderfully supportive and patient with me *hugs*

Tuesday
- N-day

B: beans in tomato sauce, 2 slices sourdough, big handful of red grapes
L: wholewheat cheddar sandwich, small cup of cocoa with whole milk and sugar, 2 dried figs
small cup of whole milk
D: pierogi (at a bar)

I'm trying to keep busy without letting myself get overwhelmed with errands. Planning yummy N-day meals I can look forward to helps a lot. And no skimping! If I want to fill my plate with dense food right to the rim, I do it.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:42 am

Wednesday - N-day (controlled failure)

B: 4 mini frankurters, mustard, 2 slices wholewheat bread, handful of grapes, handful of cherry tomatoes
L: grilled cheddar sandwich on wholewheat bread, cup of hot tomato juice
D: chicken soup with pasta, 1/2 pork cutlet, potato, 2 tablespoons beetroot salad
S: handful of almonds, small bowl of vanilla oatmeal with strawberries, more strawberries with sugar and sour cream

Very sad day today... I'll be attending the funeral of my SIL's father.
EDIT: I didn't space my meals right, so I was very hungry by 6 pm. I ate a normal-sized supper on top of my three square meals, but without binging nor sneaking food.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:39 am

Thursday - N-day

B: egg salad on two wholewheat slices, 1/2 cucumber, handful of strawberries
L: cheddar/lettuce sandwich on wholewheat bread, banana, cup of cocoa with whole milk and sugar
D: wholewheat pasta with creamed spinach and turkey

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri May 01, 2015 6:03 am

Friday - S-day (national holiday here)

weekly weigh-in: 52.9 kg/116.5 lbs -> downward from last week, yay!

B: tablespoon pb, French toast made from 3,5 slice of bread, cherry tomatoes, red grapes, 1/2 square dark chocolate, chocolate pudding with 2 tablespoons of pb
snacks: slice of pizza carbonara, 1/2 bagel with creamed spinach and turkey, 1 crepe with jam, some milk, 3 crepes with curd cheese, 2 crepes with mozzarella and tomato

Feeling like crap. I didn't overdo on sweets, but constant snacking is just as bad. I've never eaten so many crepes in one day! And I didn't even enjoy them... Hunger is essential for real satisfaction.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri May 01, 2015 2:38 pm

Imogen Morley wrote:Friday - S-day (national holiday here)...
Hunger is essential for real satisfaction.
Hi Imogen,
Happy Workers' Day!
This lesson about hunger is one I have to learn again and again. But I will say that "Sometimes" I actually catch myself and refrain from overeating, even on an S day, so slowly but surely this lesson will become internalized... I have every hope!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat May 02, 2015 12:41 am

I hear you about hunger being essential for satisfaction! Sorry about the loss of your SIL's father.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat May 02, 2015 6:27 am

Saturday - S-day

B: cup of green pea soup, grilled cheese sandwich, red grapes
L: wholewheat pasta with tuna/tomato/cream sauce
D: rice pudding with sour cream and cinnamon
about 3 tablespoons of pb eaten straight from the jar
1 (!!!) homemade oatmeal biscuit

I'm going to bake chocolate peanut butter cake and oatmeal biscuits tonight. Remembering my lesson from yesterday I'll try to refrain from mindlessly stuffing myself, just sample these (hopefully) delicious treats slowly and mindfully. We'll see how that goes!
EDIT: Not too shabby compared to my usual S-days. I'm not happy about my peanut butter snack (come on, eating by the spoonful right from the jar?), but I needed it for my cake, and decided to eat the leftovers, so that they wouldn't tempt me during the week. Peanut butter is my S of choice. Otherwise I'm okay. I ate my biscuit slowly and mindfully, and it worked!
Last edited by Imogen Morley on Sun May 03, 2015 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun May 03, 2015 6:07 am

Sunday - S-day

B: 2 slices whole wheat bread with tuna/egg salad, 1/2 cucumber, pear
D: tba
S: cup of green pea soup, grilled cheese sandwich, handful of almonds, cake

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue May 05, 2015 6:39 am

Monday - N-day

I've been busy with some project, and totally forgot to post! Sunday was okay. I did eat more than usual (snacks/sweets), but no binging. It was great to enjoy some excess without the pesky out-of-control eating.

Tuesday - N-day

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue May 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Imogen Morley wrote:It was great to enjoy some excess without the pesky out-of-control eating.
Yay, Imogen, that sounds really good!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed May 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Tuesday edit: fail. I had a small snack after dinner.
Wednesday has been red as well - I gave in and bought an ice cream cone in a new parlour on my way home. I really wanted to have a sample, I'm such a sucker for new flavours... Thankfully, I had normal dinner, and didn't let the WTH effect ruin the day.
I'm planning to fail tomorrow. Long story, but it will be worth it.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat May 09, 2015 7:20 am

Thursday and Friday were full of full-blown, WTH failures. I let my diethead take the reins, and started skimping on food, eating less than usual. The funny thing is, the more I eat, the more balanced my plates are, the less plagued I am with cravings. If I eat too much protein and too little complex carbs, I want sugar. Cutting down on bread, pasta, barley and the like is the simplest way to reduce caloric intake but my body doesn't handle it well. So I'll either be 4 pounds heavier than I would like to be, or trapped in diet-binge cycle forever.
I think I'm slowly, very slowly, starting to accept the fact that I won't weigh 110 lbs ever again. It's just too much work, and I don't really NEED to get down to that arbitrary number. NoS truly is the only way to call a truce with food and weight. I can watch my calories for some time, but soon develop intense, soul-crushing cravings. My body is just not designed to function optimally below 114-112 treshold. I need a little protein, a lot of complex carbs - which I love - fruit, vegetables, and some fat, not too much, all served on three plates every day.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat May 09, 2015 11:37 am

Hi Imogene, I'm not sure how old you are but I'm old enough to remember the 70's before the population started to gain so much weight. I remember the adults were not fat but they didn't look like treenagers/young adults either. I think as we age our bodies change and, no, we are never going look like we use to look. :wink: but that's ok because we get smarter as we get older.

I really like that you are moving towards focusing on what your body needs and away from an arbitrary "ideal" number. I think that is the way to find the peace you are looking for in regards to food.

Good luck and enjoy the weekend!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 09, 2015 10:32 pm

As Reinhard has said, don't aim for an ideal weight; aim for ideal habits. Keep it up!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun May 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Saturday and Sunday went well. I did eat more than usual, but all was really worth it. My meals were a bit smaller than usual because I wasn't that hungry. I tried a new flavour of ice cream, and enjoyed vanilla cheesecake (which was truly wonderful, I had three slices over the course of the whole day!) and green Turkish cake made with spinach.
I'll be working on eating enough during the week, and keeping my fingers crossed for five green squares in my HabitCal.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun May 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Imogen Morley wrote:I'll be working on eating enough during the week, and keeping my fingers crossed for five green squares in my HabitCal.
Hi, Imogen,
I've got my fingers crossed right along with ya'. Let's have a great green week!
-Sonya

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 11, 2015 1:53 pm

Lol, "the hard part is actually using the list". I completely get how you feel!
If you're in a Spanish speaking country: dance lessons :) Just a self-centred thought as I like Flamenco and salsa.

You always figure it out. As long as I have known you here you always figured out what works for you with some experimentation. I bet it will be the same now.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed May 13, 2015 7:08 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. I'm not doing well at the moment... habit (bad habit!) can be a terrible thing. I'll post more tomorrow, but it's sufficient to say that I have moved so far away from basic NoS rules that getting back on track seems impossible.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 14, 2015 8:58 am

You've done it before and more than once. I know you can do it :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu May 14, 2015 10:10 am

Hi Imogene, is there a way we can help you to get refocused?

Good luck today. I'll be thinking of you.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu May 14, 2015 12:22 pm

Awww, thanks, girls!
Getting back on track is incredibly difficult this time. Like, super hard. I can do it for two, three days, a week tops, but in the end, I binge, and in consequence go to square one. It seems like a sort of a twisted habit. I need to work on my motivation. How could I be so motivated before, and now I give in every time somebody puts a treat in front of me? Where has my willpower vanished? How can I strengthen it? Why hunger was tolerable, even pleasant at times, and now seems unbearable?

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu May 14, 2015 1:20 pm

Just some food for thought: take or leave as much as you want :)

Any new stessors in your life? Sleep issues? Work, school or family? Do you tend toward a perfectionist viewpoint and judge yourself harshly? Anything like that can really throw me off my game. Often I see the greatest improvement in my diet when I'm able to solve a seemingly non-diet related issue. I swear by exercise, stress management techniques (meditation, music, dance, creative writing etc.) and a regular bedtime/waketime.

Good luck today

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu May 14, 2015 4:58 pm

Hey girl, I am going through the same thing. But I can't even make it a day. Sigh. I wanted to try today again, but got unbearably shaky before I could even make it home for lunch. Like, scary shaky that I feel it's unsafe to drive or take care of baby properly type of feeling. It's terrible and mostly very annoying - and I even had red meat as part of breakfast (cevapcici). Anyways, hope it works out for us. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu May 14, 2015 5:44 pm

gingerpie, it's true that I've been thrown off my balance lately: too much work under time pressure, not enough time to unwind, some minor life changes (moving into my own flat, my husband-to-be moving in next week, tackling wedding stuff). So much is happening at once! But the more chaotic my life gets, the more normalcy/routine I crave. Eating basic three meals every day seems like a perfect foundation.
Sinnie, I feel your pain. The longer we've been doing it, the harder it gets. In my opinion, though, it all boils down to commitment: I change my mind way too often, mostly when there's a biscuit in front of me ;) NoS is supposed to quiet your inner chatter and guide you through your day without tiresome decision-making but somehow it stopped working that way for me. It stopped being a rule, and became just a guideline. Perhaps because I know that in my case calorie counting worked better than NoS in terms of losing weight? It did nothing, though, to normalize my eating habits. My heart agrees with Reinhard - there's no ideal weight - but my mind keeps coming up with excuses, bargains, and "but in the past...".

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri May 15, 2015 10:18 am

Thursday was okay. I did overfill my plates, though.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri May 15, 2015 11:29 am

Imogen Morley wrote:Thursday was okay. I did overfill my plates, though.
Hi Imogen- I think that's great! Nothing in the world wrong with a full plate when one is having a struggle staying green. Go you!
-Sonya

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri May 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Friday went well, with moderate plates. I've just baked strawberry pie for tomorrow (big family dinner coming my way). It smells wonderful but fitting into my dresses is just as great ;)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat May 16, 2015 12:52 am

It looks like you're doing well. Yes, at this point, I think just sticking with 3 plates is good, even if they are a little full. Congratulations on the engagement! :D

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat May 16, 2015 7:16 am

Thanks, clarinetgal! The funny thing is, we've been enagaged for 6 years. Time to do something about it at last :lol:
Current weigh-in: 119 lbs/54 kg. Feeling a little more optimistic, though. The paper clip method is a nice visual nudge into the right direction, a reminder to stick to my goals.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun May 17, 2015 5:55 am

Saturday, as far as S-day go, was pretty tame. I ate more than usual - extra crepe at dinner, multiple desserts after meals, bowl of soup eaten purely for its comforting qualities, not out of hunger - but I refrained from snacking and didn't let binging mentality resurface. So yeah, I overate, though still maintained some control. Yay me!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun May 17, 2015 11:34 am

Yay for you for sure :!: Overeating happens but you didn't let it throw you. A success in my book.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun May 17, 2015 4:45 pm

My Sunday plans got cancelled = boredom eating! Not in industrial quantities, though. Another pretty good S-day. Now I'm going to focus on building the longest paper clip chain possible!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon May 18, 2015 8:01 am

I have a busy week ahead of me. Fewer opportunities for potential boredom eating but rushing through my day makes me stressed and cranky = sugar cravings. We'll see how that goes.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 18, 2015 9:27 am

The rest of your week went pretty well! How good is that?
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Mon May 18, 2015 2:55 pm

Hey Imogen! Good job this week. I totally hear you on the rushing through the day making you want sugar. OMG me too. Let's be here for one another, we are like twins seriously.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue May 19, 2015 9:50 am

Yeah! I can feel my willpower muscle getting stronger!
Monday was fine. Some milky drinks between meals were necessary to tide me over, though. I noticed my jeans getting a tiny bit looser this morning.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue May 19, 2015 6:31 pm

Tuesday has been green. I planned a really special breakfast for tomorrow: a nice big chunk of smoked salmon on challah bread. Don't judge me. I'm a sucker for salty/sweet combos.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed May 20, 2015 5:36 pm

Wednesday - controlled fail. I had soup and second course at dinner, plus one big square of dark chocolate as dessert. 3 Belgian pralines in the evening, too. Fails happen. I didn't go crazy afterwards, so I'm happy anyway. Feeling healthy and strong!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu May 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Thursday - success. I'm loving it!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu May 21, 2015 9:45 pm

You're doing great! :D

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri May 22, 2015 10:13 am

Hm... I stepped on the scale this morning, and it showed exactly the same number as last Saturday. That's a mild bummer for me, although I keep reminding myself that I've also upped my complex carb intake, it's more or less that time of the month, I've had a few excessively salty meals, and so on. Of course, due to my hectic pace of life I've also stopped exercising. I'll weigh myself tomorrow morning, and then decide what to do next: weigh myself daily to track the general trend or once a month. What's your opinion?

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri May 22, 2015 10:22 am

Imogen Morley wrote:What's your opinion?
Hi Imogen,
It's good to see your habits are getting back on track. So much more important than the # on the scales- don't let that (lack of change) discourage you!
I weight once a week in the evening, either Fri or Sat. I track it on a rolling averages tracker (the Hacker's diet one). That way, it's "just a number", it's not my "real weight" because I've eaten that day, it might be an S day, it's in kg and I'm used to freaking out because of a # in pounds, etc. etc. It just gives me a nice guide as to whether the # is generally trending down and if so, how quickly. I really like the mental freedom of it. I think weekly is a nice compromise between daily and monthly. (I also take a waiste measurement whenever I feel like it, to track progress that way.)
-Sonya

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat May 23, 2015 7:43 am

Reporting Friday as a full-blown fail. I had some halva at home, and really divine shortbread biscuits for my guests... and I ate 6 ounces of halva, plus two or three biscuits. And in result, my dinner plate was REALLY loaded.
I'll try to refrain from putting conscious restrictions on myself this weekend. Overeating happens. I'll take a darn good walk this afternoon, and eat sweets only after meals. Whatever happens, happens.

NoS-er

Post by NoS-er » Sat May 23, 2015 11:04 pm

_______
Last edited by NoS-er on Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon May 25, 2015 1:26 pm

Food hangover today after two definitely excessive S-days.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue May 26, 2015 12:51 pm

It's a new week :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu May 28, 2015 8:13 am

I had a big eating weekend, too. Just get back on track for the rest of this week. :D

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:15 pm

What can I say? Back to square one after 4 weeks of dieting/binging cycle *hangs her head in shame*
:mrgreen: today, with an overloaded dinner plate (pierogi, mmm!). The last sentence from ironchef's post in my sleep deprivation thread on the general forum shook me a little. I've been using the same excuses over and over again for the past 2+ years; in consequence, slowly regaining weight. Even though I know why I'm so hungry it does not mean I have to eat more than my three plates. I'm not powerless when faced with my own biology, I've proven it so many times before. I'm just out of practice. Every action is a choice. Let's start making better ones to see the positive change.
(Instead of beating myself up, I've decided to talk to myself as if I was a wise, understanding friend. Feeling funny, but hope it works better than berating myself or feeling guilty all the time).

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:09 pm

Well, who cares? You're back!
:D
I'm a newbie - and have been reading and re-reading all the info - I've just read the bit about 'get a few failures under your belt' - in other words - keep trying, and each time you learn something about yourself - sounds like that's what you're doing.
Pleased to meet you!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:46 am

Welcome back and hope I was not too harsh - always hard to convey tone on a forum.
I'm a big fan of oolala's advice: be strict before a fail; be compassionate after. Habits actually build faster that way, so not only is it much nicer than being hard on yourself, it is more effective too.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:09 am

I think it's very good that you're treating yourself as a wise friend, as opposed to berating yourself. It's just a matter of getting back on the horse, so to speak, and starting again. :D

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:46 am

Sounds like a brilliant plan!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:07 pm

:mrgreen: with one S-event at dinner (Father's Day here where I live, so I had cake and seconds). Getting used to feeling slightly hungry between lunch and dinner again.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:19 pm

:mrgreen: and uneventful day.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:54 pm

Wb & good luck! As you can see you have lots of support on here. We're all rooting for you. I love that advice too iron!!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:55 pm

:mrgreen: with one S-event (a little housewarming party - small handful of sweet cherries and a muffin).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:05 pm

Gotta warn you: it's possible to keep failing even when not berating oneself. I speak from recent experience. I, too, know I just have to last through the urge to the next meal. It's only a few hours. SEEMS longer, but that's an illusion. Onwards!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:24 am

The one thing I absolutely love in NoS is the freedom from counting, measuring, weighing, and thinking about/fearing food.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:14 pm

:mrgreen: day with one plate piled high. EDIT: the day turned out :oops: in the end. I had snacks and half a chocolate bar late in the evening, though it wasn't as terrible as my usual failures.
Last edited by Imogen Morley on Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:35 pm

Hear, hear.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:52 am

Saturday - S-day :wink: Oooh man, that was one wild ride! Totally unsatisfying though: permasnacking ruined my meals, and I went to bed feeling like a beached whale.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:04 pm

Hope you're having a better Sunday. "Sometimes" is one of the harder lessons for some of us.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:22 am

Sunday was only a little bit better. Oh well.
I keep reminding myself that I'm "falsely extrapolating", in the words of our dear leader, expecting that my S-days will ALWAYS be that wild. They may eventually calm down, but it requires a lot of patience... which is not my signature strength. Trying not to panic, though. At worst, I'll be maintaining at 119 lbs/54 kg. That's not too shabby either.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:16 pm

Since I haven't weighed 119 since I was 13 years old, it sounds pretty darn good.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:51 am

I guess 119 lbs is perfectly fine even for such tiny person as I am... but it's still more than I used to weigh a couple of years ago. Yeah, yeah, I know - first world problems.
:oops: yesterday - I had an ice cream bar, a small handful of peanuts, and two tablespoons of creme brulee ice cream. No binge eating though, so that's still something.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:19 pm

Habit theory says to celebrate improvements! Good going on small amounts. Next time, you will skip them.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:00 pm

Still here, still plodding on. I had a row of sick days. All my upset tummy wanted was ice cream, so I ate a lot of it, sometimes in place of meals. I'm glad it's over!
I had fairly moderate S-day yesterday, with more disorganized eating today. The current heatwave in Europe combined with upped sodium intake makes me feel like a balloon ready to burst. Ugh.
Not much change in weight department. I seem to be continually losing and gaining the same two pounds. Perhaps it's the time to have a long hard look at my plates at last...

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Sorry you were sick. I hear you about the heat! We're having an unexpected heat wave in my area, too. I'm still plodding along, also, and I'm also trying to revamp my eating. Good luck to you!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Maybe those two pounds are your proper range.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:58 pm

After a brief fling with calorie counting, my weight reached 123 pounds/56 kilos this morning. What was I thinking???

B: scrambled eggs with mushrooms, 2x bread/butter, 2 small peaches
L: vegetable stir fry with soy "kebab", banana
small cup of cafe au lait with sugar
D (BIG, heaping plate): chips with mayo sauce, chicken gyros, yellow string beans in cream sauce
glass of mango Lipton Ice Tea (I needed to kill my hankering for something cold and sweet)

SUCCESS

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:45 pm

Back after my looong and wonderful Croatian vacation. Miraculously, I've been maintaining at 54 kg/119 lbs the whole time. "Extra tolerance for screw-ups" was enough to keep me sane, but now I'd like to tighten up the reins a bit. One mod I'd like to introduce for several reasons is having Friday after work and whole Sunday as my S-days. Sundays are always about socializing and big family meals, so they have to stay. Saturdays, on the other hand... I usually spend them at home, often working = boredom eating, eating just because I can, physical inactivity, all make me feel just horrible when I wake up Sunday morning. I'd rather enjoy part of Fridays instead, have a treat with my afternoon tea or after movies. Friday afternoon has always felt more special to me than Saturday, when I'm usually stuck at home and stuffing my face all the time - the fridge is dangerously close to my workspace... We'll see how that goes.
I'm happy to be back here, expecting a lot of bumps along the road, but feeling optimistic at the same time. I love this community with all my heart and am still convinced that although NoS may not get your weight down to some arbitrary "goal number" (which I still lust after!), it's the most humane and sustainable compromise between hedonic eating and controlling your weight ever imagined. Good enough is good enough. Cheers and enjoy your S-days!
Last edited by Imogen Morley on Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:03 pm

So good to "see" you here! Glad to see you're doing well.

Keep on using this forum in whatever way you feel is helped. I "fail" in tiny ways almost daily but I'm basically still doing NoS and I'm continuing to lose (slowly) so I don't worry about it.

Linda

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:36 am

Hi, Imogen- Glad you had a good vacation and found weight maintenance to be relatively pain free! Your Fri/Sun S days idea sounds interesting. Maybe that would give you the chance to make the 3 plates on Saturday really count by preparing something special for your meals, to make the day extra enjoyable, while still keeping it Green. (I would think it might be difficult to avoid focusing on food at all if you are at home, near the fridge, etc...)
-Sonya

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 am

Sonya, that's exactly what I plan to do. On Saturdays I often have more time to cook elaborate meals, and something savory yet special would be enough to make me feel satisfied with simple N-day routine. As I said, we rarely entertain or go out on Saturdays, and if we do in the future, I'll just make it NWS day/event.
Friday was fantastic. I had a piece of my friend's apple pie after dinner, and in the evening we went shopping, and stopped by that lovely artisanal bakery where I got custard slice and a piece of some other pastry. Later we shared some crisps. I realize it was quite a lot of sweet stuff, but I was okay with it - I ate what I really wanted, and yummy food was a very enjoyable part of my early weekend. Yay!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:31 pm

Sounds like a great day! Hope you saw my post welcoming u back if not--good to see you back!

Linda

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Congrats on maintaining while in Croatia, though I suspect you've gotten to the point at which it actually feels better NOT to overeat much on vacation. There is so much more to "fill up" on!

It sounds very reasonable to modify your S days since Saturday sounds almost like a work day for you. The original intent I'd say was to allow for more freedom because of altered schedules and possibly more social events. This fits the bill more for you.

Onwards!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:08 pm

I had one major binge-fail (Thursday), and one minor fail. Also, my plates were loaded, my physical activity non-existent. Curious about my weigh-in tomorrow morning! Whatever happens, happens.
I don't have any treats planned for the weekend. Nothing sounds good, so I'll just go with the flow. The thing is, when I eat something I don't really crave, I end up feeling dissatisfied, disappointed, which leads to... more eating! You know, maybe this next thing will fill me up at last.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:26 am

Excessive weekend. Ugh. Still learning after 5 years! The good news: current weigh-in 119 lbs, so I'm maintaining despite miserable fails at least once a week and overloaded weekends.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:35 am

A pretty good deal.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:32 am

oolalala, I'm learning to accept that NoS is good enough... and good enough is enough in itself.

Monday - near miss. My mom brought us cake she made with unique ingredients she had bought during out last trip to Croatia, so I consider it a fail-worthy treat. Otherwise my day was green. I'm not too happy about half a glass of pepsi I had in the afternoon. Normally I avoid that kind of stuff, simply because I do not like fizzy drinks, but I was super thirsty and pepsi was the only thing available at the time. It made me hungry, and my mouth felt icky afterwards. I'm thankful that despite my massive sweet tooth, sweet drinks never appeal to me.
Tuesday - near miss. Coworker brought German stollen cake as a souvenir. It wasn't that good, but I ate it (one thin slice) anyway.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:46 am

Curious: what's the difference between a near-miss and a fail?

Isn't it funny how you would probably never think these days to bring something sweet somewhere on an N day? So many other people take it for granted.

I might be wrong but I just can't imagine a French office where there are all kinds of pastries sitting on the counter in some back room and people wandering back there to nibble.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:54 pm

oolala, I can honestly say that after 5+ years of NoS (on and off vanilla) one habit is very strong: there has to be some limit to snacks/sweets/seconds, either in the form of weekend boundaries or some specific S-events. The idea of having sweets whenever I want or even keeping them at home without any pre-determined purpose (like baking chocolate in the cupboard or biscuits bought on the afternoons we have people over) is so alien to me now! My compliance is far from perfect, but it's been enough to maintain or periodically increase my 10 kg/20 lbs weight loss during the last 5+ years. Not too shabby. Trying to be grateful for what I can - in a relatively painless fashion - have!
Re: "near misses". Hopefully I haven't mixed anything up linguistically, because English is my second language :oops: By near misses I mean occasions when I do indulge, though my treats are contained and don't lead to binges later on. For example, if I'm personally offered something really special which I can't just freeze or bring home to have on the weekend, I eat. I allow myself only one "near miss" per N-day, otherwise it would certainly be an EXTREMELY slippery slope. Failure I define as loss of control over my eating - binges, multiple "near misses", basically - eating on a whim. One transgression doesn't have to end up in a binge UNLESS I call it failure straigth away and mark it red in the Habitcal, which to my brain is just excuse to stuff my face.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:27 pm

Good distinction. Thanks!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:33 am

Quite predictably, I fell off the wagon. Disappointed with very, very slow weight loss I started tampering with the basics, and on Saturday I found myself at 56 kg/123 lbs.

MONDAY :mrgreen:
B: white bean/prune spread on graham bread, slices of cucumber in brine, orange
L: millet flakes with milk, dark chocolate and walnuts, banana
1/2 cup milk
D: two small slices meatloaf, braised beetroot salad, pearl barley

14 minutes :mrgreen:
Last edited by Imogen Morley on Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:59 pm

Please remind me how tall you are. Please also go easy on yourself over a few pounds. More important is the good feeling physically we get from moderation. The body is going to do what it does. Enjoy good meals and enjoy the benefits!

But I know the frustration of not being a rookie but seeming to make rookie mistakes. There are people here my height or taller who weigh 10-20 lbs. less than I do! But they are in the extreme minority, here AND in the culture. And who's comparing anyway? :roll:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:58 am

I'm 5'2" (157 cm). Anything over 55 kg, and I start looking a bit heavy around the hips.
I totally agree on moderation being the goal rather than some arbitrary number on the scale. Sadly, I'm far from it right now - my food and exercise habits are all over the place!

TUESDAY :shock: (near miss)

B: white bean/prune spread on graham/seed roll, banana, cucumber in brine
L: graham/seed roll, camembert, arugula, some pesto, apple
D: pierogi with sour cream

14 min :mrgreen:

banana, tomato juice - I take medication which gives me terrible muscle cramps; eating bananas and drinking tomato juice helps a lot
Last edited by Imogen Morley on Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:03 am

Where are you from again? Your meals sound so interesting!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:22 am

Poland, plus I come from a family of foodies. We always experiment!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:29 am

WEDNESDAY :shock: <- near miss

B: salmon spread, eggs, arugula on white bread, orange
coffee with milk and sugar
L: pb&jam on graham bread, milk
D: red lentil soup with smoked paprika and pasta

4 pieces of baklava, handful of saffron rice - some people from the Embassy of Azerbaijan brought us dolma, pilaf, and sweets. Since I have a huge soft spot for baklava in my heart, I decided it was a fail-worthy treat. So again, near miss - I stumbled, but did not fall!

14 min :mrgreen:

natj

Post by natj » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:20 am

Baklava is so worth a fail! I hope you were able to enjoy it!

Giada

Post by Giada » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:34 am

A good baklava is absolutely worth a red!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:04 am

Looks like you're doing great overall & your food looks delicious as usual. &#128512;

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:03 pm

THURSDAY :shock: near miss

B: Swedish-style fish spread and eggs on graham bread, banana
coffee with milk, 2 pieces of baklava
L: bean and mushroom enchilada in tomato sauce, fresh vegetable salad
more baklava...
D: potato/parsley soup, 3 crepes with curd cheese filling (large plate)

I'm kinda torn about the "near misses" thing. On the one hand, it helps me avoid the "WTH effect" where a single transgression, no matter how small, inevitably leads to binging. On the other, it's a slippery slope, and builds tolerance for failures. And even tiny failures add up.

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:49 am

FRIDAY :mrgreen:

B: fish spread on white bread, orange
L: more fish spread on graham bread, apple, cherry tomatoes
D: 2 small hot dogs with cabbage and ketchup

+ a darn good walk

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:55 am

SATURDAY S-day :wink:

B: 2 ham&cheese paninis, banana
2 pralines (eaten purely because of the fear of missing out...)
L: 4 crepes with curd cheese filling
D: tba

Nothing sweet sounds paticularly interesting today. I'm going to bake coconut cake tonight, and I'll definitely take a slice or two, but otherwise - I think I'll just allow myself larger plates of especially yummy meals.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:34 pm

Maybe you can think of the small slips as weaning yourself off WTH for now. When you feel more stable with small ones, you can aim to wean yourself off them, too. Intermittent reinforcement takes longer to overcome, but it's been shown to be effective in the long run. Comes from the concept of harm reduction in addiction treatment. Elimination works a lot better when the person comes to the conclusion on her own from experience that the habit really isn't serving her, and it's worth the effort to drop it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:04 am

Wow. Long time no see.
My weight has been pretty stable, despite Easter indulgences and terrible (or rather, lack of) food habits. And you know what? 6 months of freedom from any exercise/meal systems hasn't made me any happier. Quite the opposite, truth be told.
I crave structure and simplicity. I even miss being pleasantly hungry before meals. One would think that "free eating" is the best way to nourish oneself - honoring every craving, piling up pasta whenever I feel like it, and so on. If weight was my primary concern, then I should be now amazed and excited that months of eating whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted haven't made me gain more than a pound or so (and that's mostly water weight anyway). I'm disappointed and dissatisfied instead, can you believe that? I think about food much more often than I did when I was following NoS. I constantly snack. Sweets are not special anymore - I eat them every day, as snacks and desserts. Weekends are still great, sure, but something is missing. Who would have thought...

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:21 pm

What, is April the time when all NoSers pop in for a hello and rejuvenation? ;)

Welcome, Imogen! Ironchef and myself just popped back in recently, too. And who knows who else.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:39 pm

I know. I'm so happy--I missed you guys!!!