The Bond Workout and Diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Over43

The Bond Workout and Diet

Post by Over43 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:38 pm

I thought many of you would find this interesting, if not humorous (particularly the part about how many meals to eat a day).

http://theguycancook.com/blog/2010/07/3 ... d-workout/

Remember the literary James Bond is quite different than the cinematic James Bond that most of us are familiar with.

Bond would have been horrified at the six-meals-a-day trend currently going on. Carrying around Tupperware wherever you go? Uh-uh. JB is strictly a three meal guy. Anything more would be too high-maintenance. And he’s right, too. The many-small-meals fad is mostly based on shoddy science. Much easier to do the traditional breakfast-lunch-dinner. Your metabolism will be just fine.

Also, Bond ate nothing but Real Food. Of course, these books were written during the 50s and 60s, when the Processed Food Revolution was still years away. But it makes you think… I’ve always maintained that the turn towards refined food has led to more obesity and illness than any other dietary shift.

Okay, Bond doesn’t eat scrambled eggs ALL the time. When he’s abroad, he likes to eat the regional specialties, and when he’s back in Jolly Old England, he prefers simple but tasty food. Here’s the typical fare for him:

Breakfast:

Soft-boiled eggs
Whole wheat toast with butter, strawberry jam, marmalade, and/or honey
Coffee
Lunch:

Grilled sole
Salad
Brie cheese
White Bordeaux
Dinner:

Baked eggs
Cold roast beef
Potato salad
Last edited by Over43 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:53 pm

Thank you Over43!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:42 pm

You are welcome, I kind of enjoyed it. I liked the author's (as he puts it) tongue and cheek approach.

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:34 am

Me too! It made me laugh.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:58 am

Hi Jennifer, NoS isn't for losing weight fast. I'm sorry to say. This is a sustainable long-term solution. I started NoS when quite a few of my friends said they need a fast solution. 3 years later - I'm at my ideal weight and they are still where they were as they couldn't sustain their fast weight loss. For a while I was unsure as they lost weight very fast but now it's all come back on.

So please give NoS the long-term, sustainable chance it deserves.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Over43

Post by Over43 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Jennifer, I do not believe anyone on this forum would be qualified to suggest a supplement. However, may I suggest, while using the No S Diet, maybe eat more fat, and reduce carbohydrates. Although, as Reinhardt has suggested in his book, by cutting out sweets, snacks (which are often sweets), and seconds, you are moving into the low carb universe naturally.

Good luck with your journey.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:30 am

Oh man, that was Spam. No James Bond Diet for her. I am going to send Scaramanga after her.

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:02 am

Hahaha! I didn't realise. Shows how gullible I am sometimes.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:05 pm

I like the simplicity of it.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

scribbler

Post by scribbler » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:17 am

This reminds me a little of Jack LaLanne, the exercise guru. He worked out hard for two hours daily, but ate only two meals per day, no snacks. Here's an excerpt from his obituary in the New York Times after he died in his 90s:

"He ate two meals a day and shunned snacks. Breakfast, following his morning workout, usually included several hard-boiled egg whites, a cup of broth, oatmeal with soy milk and seasonal fruit. For dinner he took his wife, Elaine, to restaurants that knew what he wanted: a salad with raw vegetables and egg whites along with fish — often salmon — and a mixture of red and white wine. He sometimes allowed himself a roast turkey sandwich, but never a cup of coffee."

"At 60 he swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman’s Wharf handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat. At 70, handcuffed and shackled again, he towed 70 boats, carrying a total of 70 people, a mile and a half through Long Beach Harbor."

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:07 pm

Jack LaLanne was/is a classic. I am old enough to remember his TV exercise show. I forget what the name of his German Shepherd was though.

I think eating less, in general, was indicative of the Depression Era generation.