ironchef mostly weekly check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon May 11, 2015 5:50 am

Morning tea and afternoon tea are definitely just euphemisms - I'm pretty sure no one had an actual cup of tea :) Morning tea really means we discovered another meal between brunch and lunch!

It was really sweet of my workmates actually, to hold me a little going away party. They all brought things they made themselves and they were all careful to make things that were "pregnancy friendly". They are a really nice bunch of guys and I'm going to miss being a part of this office over the next year.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon May 11, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi Iron, missed your thread so much! Always a breath of fresh air. And glad you got the itching under control.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 12, 2015 10:06 am

So what actually gets served at a morning tea? Is it different from an afternoon tea? I mean, different foods?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 12, 2015 3:58 pm

So sweet! I'd say that counts as an S event! You're so fortunate to have a job and co-workers you like so much!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed May 13, 2015 11:36 pm

eschano - great to see you back. Yes, it was a huge relief to get a diagnosis and proper treatment for my skin. Apart from the discomfort, it's not much fun when your appearance is inclined to scare the public :)

oolala - morning tea normally would be some kind of light snacky meal, like a coffee with a biscuit, or a small muffin or some fruit. However, the men in my office like to go all out sometimes, so "morning tea" has been known to include cakes, sausage rolls, party pies, sushi. They're all pretty fit guys who do a lot of sports (mainly cycling and running crazy distances), so I guess they can afford it!

Linda - I know, they are such nice guys. I often reflect on what a privilege (and a rarity) it is to have a job I love, with people I like and respect, which pays decently. It's such a gift, and one few people I know enjoy, so I try not to take it for granted.

Had a really good day yesterday. Took my son to the Jungle Gym near us and he went wild - just loved it :) Then had some dear friends drop in unexpectedly in the late afternoon and had a really great catch up after not seeing them since New Year (they work away).

Green for No S, green for walking, green for mindfulness.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 14, 2015 5:41 am

Yay sounds like a great day! So glad to hear things are going well for you especially after having some tough times. 💕💕

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu May 14, 2015 9:00 am

Sounds brilliant!

Yes, skin conditions can really get to you. My husband has psoriasis that flared up pre-wedding as it got a bit stressful (we're like last minute kind of people) but thankfully it went right down again in Greece.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue May 19, 2015 5:34 pm

Just thought I'd pop in your thread and say hello! You have such a calm relationship with food and seems like you do not struggle at all. It seems like there is so much room for "life" when you're not obsessing about your diet. What a great place to be, especially with the new baby coming. I'm hoping for a second child, and how lovely it would be to get this eating thing under control. I was reading back to your earlier posts and saw you had mocha's between meals. Do you still do that? Did the sugar affect you at all (assuming your mocha's are like mine - chocolate syrup, milk and coffee)?

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue May 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Aww, Sinnie, that is a huge compliment. I don't know if calm is always true, but it is true that I have much less emotional turmoil around food than I did 2 years ago, and even on my more crazy S days there isn't really that horrible sense of chaos / guilt.

I still have the odd mocha between meals (these days it is decaf), especially now when I am at home and my ability to sit down for a meal is sometimes dictated by a toddler :) I make mine by brewing decaf coffee in a plunger, adding a teaspoon of Milo (this is an Australian brand of chocolate-based drink) and then some milk. I've never used the syrup, but it sounds delicious. I also make a lot of roiboos tea (South African naturally decaf tea - my Dad is from SA) and at the moment because I'm 38 weeks I'm drinking a bit of red raspberry leaf tea too. Tasty (and sometimes milky) drinks between meals has always been a must for me to stick with No S.

The only thing I notice about eating sugar (on its own) or eating a very carb heavy meal, like a plate of pasta with not much else, is that I'll be hungrier sooner than if I had a more balanced meal with some protein, fats and fibre from fruits or veg. This isn't the end of the world, but it does make the wait until the next meal less comfortable. I do get light headed at times between meals, but in my case this is because I have low blood pressure, not low blood sugar. In high school and my early 20's I used to faint pretty regularly if I stood up too quickly or forgot to drink enough on a hot day. Even now, while heavily pregnant, it is very low and makes it difficult for me to do things like give blood for tests. It's another reason why it is important for me to have drinks all day, not just at meals.

Sorry for the novel - seems I can never give a short answer :)

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed May 20, 2015 2:03 am

I really, really appreciate that response Ironchef! I feel almost like a No S newbie these days, but I guess I am starting over in a sense, and it helps immensely to read what other people do to aid in their success. I just love hearing that you at times rely on drinks too, and this Milo sounds good (I looked it up :)). I see you just use a teaspoon, from a calorie perspective that's very low and perhaps something to consider for myself. I wish I could get more into tea, the South African one sounds delish (and is there a better accent out there, I would love listening to your dad talk hehe).
The other thing that really stood out to me was your mention of low blood pressure. I have always had low-ish blood pressure, but not enough to cause me to faint. But I often have that light headed feeling, and never really knew what was up with it, just thought it was blood sugar related. I forgot that every time I take my blood pressure it's the very low end of normal. Interesting!

Imogen Morley

Post by Imogen Morley » Wed May 20, 2015 7:07 am

ironchef wrote: The only thing I notice about eating sugar (on its own) or eating a very carb heavy meal, like a plate of pasta with not much else, is that I'll be hungrier sooner than if I had a more balanced meal with some protein, fats and fibre from fruits or veg. This isn't the end of the world, but it does make the wait until the next meal less comfortable.
It's going straight to my catchphrase glossary, thanks! My current weight gain has been caused exactly by the distorted thinking along the lines of: "I had carby breakfast/too little protein, so no wonder I'm binging now... I have a legitimate biological reason to binge". Excuses, excuses. Gonna remember your quote next time.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed May 20, 2015 9:39 am

Always great reading your thread!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed May 20, 2015 1:19 pm

So true about the carbs. A well balanced meal is so much more sustaining/satisfying!

Btw, thanks for stopping by my thread and giving me encouragement! I love the idea that the scale just had to catch up with me. That image really helped for some reason. And you were right, my weight is back to where it was last week!😊

Enjoy the rest of your week!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 21, 2015 11:32 pm

Sinnie, I'm glad some of my ramble helped - definitely take a look at low blood pressure, it can mimic a surprising number of things that people typically associate with low blood sugar.

Imogen - It's hard because there is so much information out there about food, nutrition and our bodies, it's so easy to get caught up in fact-overload (oh, I'm bloated because X, hungry because Y, need to eat because Z). This is one of the reasons I came to No S, to switch off the thinking / fact finding side of my brain. I used to be a huge reader of food, nutrition, health and weight loss blogs, now I only read here. And I still skip things like menus and daily food lists if I think I might find it triggering.

eschano - thanks for the encouragement. At 38 weeks pregnant it is easy to just fall into feeling cetacean :) Posting here helps me keep positive and supports my intention to keep eating sensibly (as much as possible).

Linda - glad my silly comment helped :) I knew that scale would get back where it was supposed to be in a couple of days and voila!

We've got a big couple of days ahead - a wedding reception on Sat night and then my son's 3rd birthday Sunday. There is going to be cake. So much cake. My aim is to try to be relaxed and happy for the weekend, and not stress too much about cleaning and party prep. I've delegated a bit of the cooking. Even though only 18 people (all close family) are coming to the party, I'm pretty slow off the mark these days...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri May 22, 2015 6:14 am

Omygoodness! I'm glad you're not stressing & delegating! 18 ppl is a good amount esp when your pregnant! Anyway enjoy that cake. Childs third bday is definitely a day to celebrate! 🎂

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun May 24, 2015 11:06 pm

Thanks Linda! Yes, I feel like the year from 2 to 3 was really the transition from baby to child. We had a fabulous afternoon and Ironbaby loved it. However, he thinks "Happy Birthday" is a greeting for birthday parties, a bit like "Good Morning", so as each person said "Happy Birthday Ironbaby" he responded with "Happy Birthday!" back to them. Another classic:

mr. chef: I just wanted to say a few quick words before we do the cake.
Ironbaby (interjecting): Birthday Cake!
mr. chef: Firstly, welcome everyone and thank you for coming to our party.
Ironbaby: Thank you for coming to my party. Welcome to my cake!

The wedding was hard, hard work. It was a cocktail style reception, so standing all evening and nothing I could eat - everything was either smoked salmon, soft cheese or had sauces like aioli or mayo that I'm not meant to have. One dish came out that had some mini toasts for dipping, so I could eat the mini toasts (not the dips). I really paid for it on Sunday morning when I was up early doing party prep.

I got so sugared up yesterday I'm really keen for an N day today!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon May 25, 2015 4:36 pm

Happy Birthday to IronBaby! What are you going to call this next little person? :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue May 26, 2015 6:03 am

Oh boy that wedding sounds annoyingly difficult to eat decently. No wonder you got all sugared up the next day.

Yay for N days and "welcome to my cake" is too adorable. :-)

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue May 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Oh well done for the wedding and the party prep!

Ironbaby is so cute! We'll have to call him ironchild or ironkid soon otherwise it will get confusing haha! He is the most adorable.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu May 28, 2015 8:17 am

Ironbaby is so cute! That wedding sounded challenging!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu May 28, 2015 11:12 pm

Well, looks like we're probably going to meet our daughter today. I might not post for a while :)
When I come back I'll come up with a new moniker for Bub #2.
Good luck to all in the mean time - I look forward to reading your successes when I'm back!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu May 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Omg--SO excited for you!!! Best of luck & can't wait to hear all about the new little munchkin!!💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri May 29, 2015 12:10 am

Whoop, whoop, this is awesome!!!!!!!!! So excited and happy for you.

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Oh wow! I'm so excited for you iron! All the best for you and your little one!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:37 am

Our daughter born 29th May, 11:09am, 3.1kg and 48cm. A beautiful girl born easily and naturally in less than 2 hrs after we arrived at the hospital. Another fantastic experience for us. Home the next day with Ironbaby :)

I am not following No S or anything else for a few weeks until I am recovered and breastfeeding is well established. I won't really be posting, but will follow along now and again. Hope everyone is doing well.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:26 am

Yay--congrats on your beautiful baby girl!! 🎉🎉🎉 I'm so happy for you and your family. Enjoy those first amazing days of bonding.

Linda 💕💕

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:45 am

Wohooo! Congratulations ironchef! Have a wonderful first weeks and looking forward to hearing more and some quibs from the new baby brother about the little one.

Love from London!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:31 am

Thanks for the congrats ladies :)

My daughter will be 3 weeks this Friday, and I'm ready to bring a bit of structure back. For one thing, I have developed a cold sore, and I know these are related to being run down and eating too much sugar. Also, I just feel my digestion is better when I follow mostly meal based eating. Plus I worry about all the night snacking and my teeth!

I'm not ready for complete Vanilla No S yet, as I'm still sleep deprived, recovering from labour and establishing breastfeeding, also I am VERY hungry at times. So, for the coming week I'm going to focus on:
1. Not eating at night wake ups. If I'm very hungry, I'll have some milk.
2. Not eating sweets on N days.
3. Only snacking if hungry, not "because I can".

Today so far I've just had breakfast and lunch and I feel better already. Alright, both kids are asleep, so I'm off for a nap!

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:28 am

Sounds like a great plan! Glad you are doing well :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 am

3 weeks already! :shock: sounds like a great plan. Enjoy your time with the babies.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:16 pm

Wed:
overnight no snacks = Green
day snacks only when hungry - Green
no sweets = Fail. Went to a "Toddler Jam" session with Ironbaby and Squiggle, and was offered a decaf coffee. Said yes, and it came with a sweet biscuit, which I ate. I could have left it, but I was hungry and caved.

Still a big improvement over the past few weeks.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Thurs:
No night snacks - green
No sweets - green
No snacks unless hungry - green

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Squiggle - is that ironbaby2?
Doing well! I would have had that sweet too.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:50 am

So glad you had a chance to pop in and love that you're adapting nos to your current situation. How's ironbaby handling it all?

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:12 am

Yes, we've been calling her Squiggle, because she does a lot of squiggling :)

Friday 19th:
No sweets - green
No snacks unless hungry - green
No overnight snacking - green

Sat and Sun are S days, but I'm going to try to keep up with the no overnight snacking, as I really prefer it.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:17 am

Congrats on the birth of your baby girl! I think your eating plan sounds very sensible for your situation.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:39 pm

Thanks CG! I'm hoping to get back to vanilla in a few more weeks.

Good weekend, lots of lovely baked treats brought by visitors. Weighed myself at my MIL's house. I'm 67.5kg (149 lb). Just recording here for reference.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:40 am

You're doing great! Vanilla will be waiting for you when you're ready!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:33 am

You are such an inspiration ironchef! Always getting back to NoS as and when it's the right thing for your body. Love it!

And Squiggle is a cute name :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Thank you both - I certainly don't feel a huge motivation at the moment, but I'm going with "take the actions and the feelings will follow"

Monday
No overnight snacks - green
No snacks unless hungry - green (in fact, no snacks at all)
No sweets - green

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:53 pm

Tues
No overnight snacks - green
No snacks unless hungry - green (no snacks at all)
No sweets - green

Not snacking is getting easier and ny meals have been one plate out of habit r, I think I'll restart vanilla No S next week

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:44 am

Yay--doing great!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Wed
overnight no snacks = Green
day snacks only when hungry - Green. (in fact, no snacks)
no sweets = green
Went to a "Toddler Jam" session with Ironbaby and Squiggle, and this time turned down the sweet biscuit - win!

Today would be a vanilla no S green day, so I don't think going vanilla next week will be too hard.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:16 am

Wow, amazing ironchef. You're doing so well!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:38 pm

Thanks eschano, my plates are pretty heavy, but the no snacks habit seems to be coming back well.

Thurs 25th:
green No S

I've been walking pretty much every day, I'm going to restart recording mileage for my walk to Rivendell next week. Sometime after my 6 week check I'm going to start some body weight strength exercises (just stuff I can do at home).

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:45 am

I can't believe you're exercising already! Okay I really have no excuses left!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:20 pm

Thanks Linda - although I'm not sure walking my dog and a few squats will get me far :-)

Friday 26th
Green for No S
1 mile walk with dog and both kids (what a mission!)

Squiggle is 4 weeks already!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:02 am

Hehe it's a great start though! Okay how'd you manage the toddler, infant plus dog trek?! Quite a feat I'd say. Well done!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:12 pm

Well, let's say there was some bribery involved... :) Mostly with a newborn it's just timing, if you manage it while they're sleeping you're fine.

Had a really good Saturday - walked another mile, so my Hobbits have finally made it to Weathertop.

I've decided to go dairy free again for a few weeks to see if this will help Squiggle with her gas. It made such a big improvement to Ironbaby's skin last time, that I think it is worth a shot. If it doesn't help, I'll give it up again after July. It's hard, because as I worked out last time, casein is in EVERYTHING! Anyway, it actually helps me have moderate S days, because most of the stuff I eat too much of has dairy. This Sat I had one slice of nice flourless orange cake with my lunch, and one slice of toast with jam as an afternoon snack. The kind of S day I always enjoy.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:41 am

Mon 29th - green vanilla No S

Sun and Mon 0.5 miles each day. Barely slept Sun night so very tired and headachey.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:42 am

Sorry to hear about Sunday night. You're doing great and I love your hobbit idea. So imaginative and fun!

eschano

Post by eschano » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:29 am

It's brilliant that you're doing your Hobbit trail again. Weathertop is a big milestone.

And dairy-free sounds so hard for me but it sounds like it's worth it.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:33 am

Thanks ladies! I'm much better today, got almost 6 hrs last night in 3 stretches, so feeling human.
Yes, dairy free is tricky. Gluten free and lactose free are much more common here.

Tues
Green No S
Walked 0.5 miles
10 min stretch and strength

Have restarted this morning with our mindfulness meditation, which has gone by the wayside this month in the chaos of having a newborn. I'll be tracking it on habitcal from now.

I have not yet restarted HomeFree, but I'm chipping away at decluttering in tiny increments.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:09 am

Yay you!!!🎉🎉

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:23 pm

Wed
No s green
Walk red
Strength yellow

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:29 am

Still can't believe how well you are doing on NoS!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:36 am

Thanks eschano. To be honest, the days are so totally jam packed at the moment, that it is kind of a relief only having to worry about making (and cleaning up from) 3 eating events each day.

Thurs
No S - green
Hobbit walking - 1.5 miles
strength - green (I actually did this with Ironbaby, he quite enjoys "doing his exercises" and it's pretty cute). Oh wow, my push ups are so pathetic and my chest is so sore after just 2 sessions. Ah well, the only way is up.

Haven't done formal mindfulness yet today, but did go for a semi-solo walk earlier today (just me and the Squiggle asleep in the pram), so I used that time to practice mindful walking. It was sooo nice not to move at the speed of toddler, i.e. incredibly slow or else running. Will try to fit in a little 10 min session once Ironbaby is in bed.

I also managed a little "HomeFree" session today while my husband entertained Ironbaby. I pulled out my non-maternity clothes and sorted them either back into drawers or into a donation bag. I've also picked out a few more maternity pieces to give to my sister. I packed up the first bag of clothes that the Squiggle has grown out of (already!! in 1 month!?). I'll offer them to my sister, otherwise donate. Some of this is gear I've held onto for 3 years since Ironbaby was born, so it is excellent to finally sort it and get it out of our hair. A GREAT feeling.

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Sounds like a wonderful day!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:05 am

Yay I'm so impressed how your carving out a little bit of time hear & there to make some headway on your goals but not stressing about it either. I wish I could have your positive attitude.

Picking out my babies outfit was sometimes the highlight of my day during those early stages. Not really but I did enjoy it and was kind of obsessive about sorting & labeling everything by ages. I guess it gave me something to do!

Anyway keep up the great work!

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks Linda. Honestly, I feel like I really must focus the bright side lately, otherwise I'd be easily overwhelmed. It also feels like life has reached an incredible pace, where I flit from activity to activity constantly, so not much time to dwell on anything!

Friday
Green No S
Hobbit walk - 1 mile
Strength - yellow (I'm giving myself every second day off)

Have not yet fitted in any formal mindfulness. Did my session last night after toddler bedtime, so might manage that again today.

HomeFree - today I washed, dried, folded and put away 4 loads of washing, so not much else got done apart from meals and cleaning the kitchen. For small people, babies make a lot of washing! Also, planted a mango tree :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:51 am

Planted a mango tree? Awesome!

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:10 am

It sounds very busy but I'm delighted you had time to plant a mango tree - how awesome is that?
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:22 pm

Yep, a tiny mango tree that sprouted from the seed of a mango from my cousin's biodynamic fruit plantation up in Canarvon. So hopefully in just 10 short years we'll get our own mangoes :lol:

Monday 6th
No S - green
Hobbit walk - 1 mile
Strength - yellow

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:59 pm

Tues - red No s (took the squiggle in to my office and had a passionfruit macaron)
Hobbitwalk - 1 mile
Strength - red, busy day missed my chance

Wed
No S - green
Hobbit walk - 1.5 miles
Strength - yellow

Starting to get sick, so may take some s days. We'll see.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:03 am

ironchef wrote:(took the squiggle in to my office and had a passionfruit macaron)
Mmmmmmm- a passionfruit macaron! I've never had one of those, but I love passionfruit jam. A housemate of mine made some once and it was heavenly... I never can be bothered to make it myself, as there's the little matter of getting all those many seeds out!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:50 am

Yes, I love passionfruit. I made passionfruit curd last year (what we call passionfruit butter), based on a lemon curd recipe, but I was not diligent enough about getting ALL the seeds out and it was too crunchy.

Thursday - S day (sick)
Friday - green No S.

I'm back to walking at least a mile every day and I'm very pleased. My daughter is 6 weeks now, so from next week I'm starting some more formal exercise to strengthen myself and repair my tummy. All just bodyweight based, and with a view to taking a lot of care not to part my abs (which was an issue last pregnancy). I've also picked up some second hand adjustable dumbbells, so after a few months of strength / recovery work I can start introducing weights. Really looking forward to it - I feel so much better when I feel strong.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:19 am

Lemon curd--yum!! Now if I could just figure what to make with all our grapefruits!

So glad you're getting your walking in & looking to add weights soon. Hopefully this means you're feeling better. Six weeks---awwww!!

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:20 am

Grapefruit marmalade? Marmalade is generally less sugar than jam I think?

A big weekend at my mum's (mr. chef was out at a friend's birthday), so plenty of cake for all. Looking forward to N day tomorrow.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:51 am

Green Mon, Tues, Wed.
Going well with a program designed to put my core back together - written by a physio who is also a yoga instructor.

Ironbaby recent quotes (there are a few).

Ironbaby runs into a puddle: "Dear me, I'm filthy!"

Ironbaby smashing snails against the fence:
Ironbaby: That snail has gone home to his mum in pieces.
Me: Oh dear, what does his mummy say?
Ironbaby: But his mum is in pieces as well!

Ironbaby: Baa! Roar! Mummy, what makes that sound?
Me: Um, a scary sheep?
Ironbaby: That's a lamb pretending to be a tiger.

We snuggle up for stories:
Ironbaby: Daddy, I need to you read all my books. Mummy, I want to get rid of you. You go and work something in the kitchen.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Oh wow these are precious. Ironbaby cracks me up & I love how his mind works. How's he handling having a little sister?

Great job on the exercising!

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:48 am

Ironbaby is pretty patient about baby stuff, but doesn't really take much interest to be honest.

Thurs ended up red - ate one pumpkin and spice mini muffin from a batch I made for a friend who cancelled at the last minute.walked 2 miles though.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:41 pm

Devastating end to the week. A friend of ours has been under terrible strain all week, as her 24 year old son went missing last Thurs. Yesterday, police found his body in the water at a beach near here. I look at my tiny little kids and I can't even process raising a child for 24 years and then losing them in this horrible way. Just devastated for her and her family.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:10 am

Oh I am so so sorry to hear this. Life is so unfair sometimes. I can't even imagine having to go through such a tragedy.

Will be thinking of you and your friend during this difficult time.

Linda

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:46 am

I am so sorry for your friend's loss. :( I love reading about IronBaby. He cracks me up.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:17 am

Thanks ladies, I appreciate it. It's just such a horrible thing, and any gesture by me just seems completely inadequate.

Green so far this week, doing a lot of walking. Not much heart to write about anything else.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:09 pm

Oh iron, I'm so sorry to hear that! What a horrendous thing. I am sure any gesture at all is appreciated even if it's not getting through until later on.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:13 am

Thanks eschano. I donated to a charity in his name, but couldn't get to the funeral this morning. I dithered back and forth on going, but it was early morning at the beach, and with a 7 week old and a 3 year old it just wasn't going to work (it is midwinter here).

A mish mash week with some red, some green. Need to tighten up on a few things.

Weight this morning at my MIL's house was 65.7kg (145 lb), which is down 2kg (4 lb) from when I weighed last month (21st June). That's good - just one pound a week is a nice slow pace that shouldn't interfere with milk supply. Plus I've been eating some HEAVY plates, so didn't really expect to lose much at all. My daughter had put on 2kg at her 6 week check, so looks like I am transferring body fat directly from me to her :)

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:17 pm

Glad things are going well otherwise. Sounds like your baby girl is thriving. :)

eschano

Post by eschano » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:44 am

Amazing Ironchef! Maybe you won't even need to tighten up too much as long as the weight is coming off :)
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks ladies. Vanilla No S, as always, a pretty painless way to eat.

No S Green Monday & Tuesday.

Huge walk on Monday to and from my daughter's doctor appointment, then did yoga today with my son while she slept. He is hilarious doing yoga with me.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Awesome job!!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:47 pm

Thanks Linda :)

A hard end to the week - small eating slips every day. Did plenty of walking though, and fitted in my strength stuff.

Ironbaby is ill, really ill, with temperature of 40 C (104 F) and a rash. The doctor has reassured us that it isn't measles, chickenpox, rubella, pavo, meningitis (i.e. any of the big hitter "name" diseases), but he is still feeling awful poor kid. This is probably the first time in his life he's been properly sick and we're all finding it hard, especially with a 9 week old baby in the house.

ItsMe2015

Post by ItsMe2015 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:34 am

It really is no fun having a sick baby. I hope he feels better soon.
~Cindy

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:11 am

Oh no poor ironbaby :/ so scary when our babies are sick and to top it off caring for a little infant. I hope he feels better quickly. Hang in there and big hugs!

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:04 pm

Thanks Cindy and Linda. Poor little Ironbaby, he's been such a trooper, really doesn't complain at all. I knew he was really sick yesterday when he turned down his favourite food (custard). If his temperature isn't down today I'm going to get the after hours doctor to come out and review him.

Luckily Squiggle is being an angel at the moment and sleeping pretty well overnight with minimal wake ups (just feed and back to sleep). I'm just a bit paranoid about her catching whatever Ironbaby has.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:32 am

Oh, poor Ironbaby. I hope he feels better soon.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Thanks all. Ironbaby is all better now, phew!

2 reds last week, green so far this week. Today will be a challenge as I've made mini muffins for Ironbaby and his cousins who are visiting today, which would be very easy to slip up and snack on. I'm posting here as a challenge to myself to avoid this. I'll come back this evening and record how I did.

I'm on week 4 of my tummy and general strengthening plan. Walking has been hard as our late winter weather has been awful recently.

ETA: Wore a pair of my non-maternity jeans today for the first time. They are a little snug (and they're my loosest pair), but I'm still really pleased.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:03 am

Yay for iron baby's recovery & non-maternity jeans (that was fast!).

Good luck with the muffins!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:14 am

Thanks Linda. I managed it - gave the last few away last night to the next door neighbours.

Having another horrible week this week, another friend missing at the beach near here, this time a friend I went to University with. She's my age (36) with two small children. I also studied and worked with her husband. There is a beach and ocean search for her, but in this terrible winter weather they don't hold much hope. I just can't imagine those two poor little kids. I don't understand the world sometimes, I really don't.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Wow that's just unbelievable. I'm so sorry iron. Sorry for my ignorance but how does this type of thing happen? Are they at the beach & the weather turns bad?

Anyway keeping you in my thoughts and truly hope everything is ok.

Linda

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:44 am

Thanks Linda. We still don't know how this happened, especially in winter. The police are treating it as a missing person, but say there is no evidence of foul play. To be honest there is a lot of talk about whether this is a suicide, but there is no note. I know she suffered from a lot of anxiety after her kids were born (which I guess is a form of post natal depression), but recently I thought she was fine. We all did. I just can't believe it was a suicide - how could anyone leave their two little children? Her daughter is only two. No matter how bad things were, surely you couldn't leave them.

Anyway, green No S this week. In the midst of these things I have no power over, it's comforting to have one thing that stays routine.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:43 am

Oh wow, horrible no matter what the circumstances. So sorry.....

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks Linda.

A green week and relatively low key weekend. Hope for another green week this week - it makes me feel so much better.

Walking sporadic due to weather. On to week 5 of strength / tummy plan.

Kit

Post by Kit » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:23 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. Any news yet?

Kit

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:44 am

Thanks Kit, I really appreciate being able to vent here, as I'm trying to be as calm and steady as possible in real life for those closest to her who are really suffering.

The police called off the search over the weekend, as it's been a week and the land and sea search are both "complete" unless they get new leads. Speaking to her best friend over the weekend, and seeing the desperate yet hopeful attitude of her family, I dread them finding her body, but I think maybe never knowing would be worse. I feel like stuff like this shouldn't happen in real life, it should only happen in movies where we can turn the lights back on afterwards.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:16 pm

Mon, Tues green
Wed RED - shared a mini-pecan pie with my parents for dessert after dinner together. Definitely a delicious fail though...

Still working through the 12 week strength plan, now on week 5. This is the first week using weights, so I can FINALLY break out the adjustable dumbbells I bought second hand off GumTree. Wow are my legs sore!

Still walking whenever I can. Mindfulness still very patchy. House still, erm, a work in progress.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:18 am

Great to hear your update. Sounds like a worthy fail for sure.

I guess Life is a constant work in progress isn't it?

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:19 pm

True Linda. I guess a "completed" life is one that is finished, so "work in progress" is all good :)

Red Thurs and Fri - ugh. Will have to tighten up next week. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Ironbaby had a minor cold this week, so we got the following gross out moments (don't read on if you are faint of heart or eating a meal).

Ironbaby (holds out hand to mr. chef): Here you go Daddy!
mr chef (takes item): Thanks buddy! What is it?
Ironbaby (proudly): It's a booger.

Ironbaby: Mummy, I've got a booger.
Me: Hang on, I'll get a tissue.
Ironbaby: It's ok Mummy. The dog ate it.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:47 am

Oh dear that's just too funny! :lol:

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:57 pm

Red Wed - neighbour brought us her first attempt at home made vanilla slice to try. Very good vanilla pod custard. Otherwise this week has been fine.

Ironbaby yesterday - he climbed into a washing basket full of clean clothes with no pants on. I don't know if this Australian slang will translate for those in other parts of the world, but here goes:
Me: mr chef, please get him out of there.
mr chef: Why?
Me: I really don't want anyone freeballing on my clean washing!
Ironbaby: Like the song, Mummy!
Me: Huh?
Ironbaby: Because I'm freeeee! Free Balling!