7!!!! years of NoS and *still* loving it!

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

vmsurbat

7!!!! years of NoS and *still* loving it!

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:52 am

Yes, it's that time of year again--passed 7 years of NoS-ing this summer. :-)

I still think it is THE most sustainable, sane, and satisfying way of enjoying good meals through all seasons of life.

For those who want the whole story, here are the links to past testimonials--all those insights still hold true today (including never once making it into the 21-day club. Perfection not required for long-term success!), so I won't repeat.

Year 1: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=5306
Year 2: http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6629
Year 3: http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7858
Year 4: http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8821
Year 5: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=9529
Year 6: http://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10250

So where am I now?

In my current season, with unexpected (but Lord willing) temporary health issues, I gained 10lbs since the spring of this year. I suspect it was a combo of
  • 1. Going from a 10000 step a day habit to just 3000 on average,
    2. Continuing to eat what I "always" ate even though my activity level decreased so much, and
    3. Rationalizing a few too many "this extra bite/sweet won't hurt/count" moments.
TBH, because I don't weigh myself that often, I didn't notice until my clothes got uncomfortably tight.

After casting around for something to add TO NoS, I realized that I really didn't need to--I just needed to double down on No Excuses and take the time to really enjoy the meals I do eat, particularly paying attention to what satisfies rather than "what I've always eaten." I've also been able to start building up my walking endurance which can only help (currently working on 5000/day average). Thus, in the past two months (including vacation!), I've lost 3 of those 10 pounds.... :D

And I must say that I appreciate a thousand times over the hopeful, proactive mindset that NoS engenders. On another forum (not weightloss related, but the topic comes up often enough) the whole tone is one of all the reasons why one *can't* lose weight: "Not my fault", "Carbs to blame", "Hypothroidism keeps me fat", "Too short", "Too old", "Pre-Menopause", "Post-Menopause". Really, it is SOOO depressing to read and sadly few want to hear that habit changes make for real (albeit slow) progress...

However, YOU guys do, so celebrate with me! NoS *does* work for this post-menopausal, short (5'2"), Hashimoto (thyroid)-stricken, recovering from illness woman. :D :D :D

Thanks again, Reinhard!
Last edited by vmsurbat on Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Awesome! Yep, I was one of those ppl who really thought I couldn't lose weight anymore. I started NoS mostly for some sanity. It gave me that but I started to lose weight too. I was like I can't believe I've been so convinced of this all these years.

NoS is such a blessing & you're a huge inspiration so thanks for keeping us up to date. I have no doubt the other 7 lbs will come off in time but either way you're doing fantastic!!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:18 pm

wonderful blog - thank you for taking the time to put all those links in place - this is very, very inspiring. I'm three months in to No S but the whole system totally makes sense to me. Wishing you another great year!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

natj

Post by natj » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:52 pm

Congratulations! Your efforts are truly remarkable... I loved reading through all of your previous posts especially the ones where you discuss the satisfaction factor which is an important topic for me right now.

You are such an inspiration and I will certainly continue to read your posts whenever I need a boost!

Here's to your next year!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:11 pm

Vicki,

Congratulations again on your continued success, and thank you so much for continuing to keep us posted here! There is no more important kind of testimonial than these long term successes.

Thanks also for not whitewashing away your difficulties -- they're just as important for aspiring long term No-essers to know about.

Best wishes in year 8,

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:30 pm

Hear, hear!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

DaveMc

Post by DaveMc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:50 pm

Congratulations, Vicki!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:52 pm

Wow, 7 years. So great to hear from you, and thank you for taking the time to come back and update. It is so encouraging to read about your continued success.

Best wishes for a full recovery from your health issues, and another great year to come!

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:38 am

Thank you all! Time to go update my signature tag.....from 6 to 7 yrs..... :-)
Vicki in MNE

noni

Post by noni » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:31 pm

Always good to hear from you, Vicki, and congratulations! It's very encouraging, esp. for this post-menopausal 5'2" woman.
I'm making a fresh start, yet again, so it's not only beneficial to hear from the "old-timers" but also those who are new to NoS and the methods they employ.

GraceW

Post by GraceW » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:56 pm

Outstanding!! Thank you for the inspiration and congratulations on your continued success.

yellowtulips

Post by yellowtulips » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:01 am

Thank you for this inspiring post and the links to earlier posts.

I have just begun my No S journey and am also 50+, 50+ pounds overweight with Hashimoto's. Sharing your story gives me hope. :D

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:26 pm

yellowtulips wrote:Thank you for this inspiring post and the links to earlier posts.

I have just begun my No S journey and am also 50+, 50+ pounds overweight with Hashimoto's. Sharing your story gives me hope. :D
So glad that you are encouraged! I always suggest that newcomers read the sticky labeled NoS Catch Phrase Glossary near the top of the General Discussion Forum page which really is full of pithy insights that keep us grounded to the sanity of NoS.... *I* like to reread it on occasion....

And best wishes on your NoS journey. You travel it one day, one meal at a time. :-)
Vicki in MNE

yellowtulips

Post by yellowtulips » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:59 pm

Thank you Vikki,

The pointer to the phrases is truly helpful. I particularly like 'If hunger isn't the problem, food is not the solution.' (or something to that effect) I began pretty well mid-March, but the last couple of weeks, I've had to travel to assist with aging parent issues. I have not been been No S-ing. Today is a fresh start, a fresh month. I'm still away from home today, but this phrase will help remind me that NO S-ing is about bodily nourishment, all other eating is not going to relieve any of the stress I'm feeling in the present situation.

Diane

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:53 am

yellowtulips wrote:Today is a fresh start, a fresh month.
YES! Success with NoS is only a meal away..... Glad the Sticky Phrases helped... It is SO important to get the right words into our heads, to combat what I call "diet chatter"...
Vicki in MNE