Allisonmeg Checks in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Allisonmeg

Allisonmeg Checks in

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:16 pm

Today is Tuesday Oct. 6th. I'm starting this with none of my usual 5 dots with varying shades of reds and greens, and doing true PASS or FAIL one time a day. I'll see if actually checking in helps me out.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:21 pm

Yayyyyyy I made through day one! Ready for day two and listening to podcasts nonstop!

Allisonmeg

Day 3 ,th

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:18 am

Well day 2 was way harder than I thought it would be. Made it through with a fuzzy green. Waited way too long to eat lunch, then had far too much. Starting with oatmeal this morning. Goal for today is to sit when I eat.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Hang in there! Make sure you eat enough at each meal to get you through to the next one. You can always make them smaller later once your body is used to going without snacks.

You got this!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Allisonmeg

Day 4, F

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:59 am

Yesterday was a totally successful day in that I had three actual meals. A total rarity for me. I spend my days snacking all the way through, with my family always telling me they never see me eat anything. I always said that about my own mom (who is obese). My younger sister, who is in her 30s, has been bulimic and anorexic since her teens. I have obsessively counted calories, even though they are high, since my 20s. I never ever sit down and eat. When I prepare dinner each night, I flit around and clean the kitchen while everyone eats. It sounds strange but the thought of actually sitting down and eating a meal with my family is stress provoking! I have had six kids, the last two in my forties. My oldest is 21 and my youngest is 2. I got the excess weight off with the first three and kept a few more after the last three pregnancies. I only need to see the scale start going down instead of up each time. I would have to lose 35 pounds to get back to 30s weight but right now, ten pounds off sounds heavenly!

Allisonmeg

Day 5

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:19 pm

Yesterday was good, helps because we went out for lunch two days in row for salad. Going to try to keep it green today just because I've got to get a few more days under my belt.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Never mind, today is a yellow day. I'm just nervous to say that for the record!

Allisonmeg

Yellow sucks

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Oct 10, 2015 7:14 pm

I do NOT like yellow days AT all. I've got to have some form of restriction.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:04 am

Have you found the podcasts - the "S days gone wild" is one you might like. Hang on in there with the 'yellow' days - they're an important part of the system.

:wink:
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Allisonmeg

Sunday

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:24 am

The start of a new week. I thought I'd get on here to say what a fantastic S day I ended up having. I even turned down my favorite pizza, which made me feel super successful. And then....hubby made apple pie that I got into RIGHT BEFORE BED. Like in an unhealthy sneaky binge-y way (that I had to cut the pieces and rearrange it before anyone saw). I'm going to just go with today is the start of a new week. My last week was far more successful than anything I have been doing, so here's to a great new week.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Welcome, Allison. No S can really do a lot for you that will have nothing to do with weight loss. You will get over feeling stressed to sit down and eat with others, and eventually realize how sane and civilized it is! You absolutely deserve this.

Please go easy on yourself about "yellow" days. It is really too much to expect that those are going to be reasonable very soon. Yes, yes, you will read of some people it got easy for fast, but it doesn't mean it stays that way for them. Almost everyone goes through stages with that, too. Overages at times are so common it's likely they are actually useful and part of the adjustment. In the ensuing years since the book, I have seen people give up prematurely because of S days and then come back years later wishing they had hung in there. Same with most who try changing N days in the first six months.

This is really about a lifestyle change to eating less OVER TIME, not about going on a diet.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:19 am

Thank you so much oolala! I really needed some words of encouragement. I'm just happy Sunday is over with and I can start fresh Monday. Today was a definite out of control S day.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:59 am

I had many of them, many! And they can be incentive to be very moderate, if there is such a thing, on N days. N days become relief!

Fast between meals and enjoy every bite.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Allisonmeg

Monday

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:26 pm

Yay, yes it is a relief for Monday to be here! I am very ready for today, and I did sit down to eat my oatmeal this morning.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:38 pm

Tuesday, My first week is done...yay!
End of Tuesday, did great!

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:06 am

First RED DOT. I made a bread in the bread machine that ended up getting unplugged. Thus was an hour later than dinner. When I sliced it, I went through varying wild thoughts of making this a yellow day and borrowing from Saturday. Anyway I ate a big slice with butter. However on a positive note, I've NOT gone nuts with this and started eating everything in sight!!d This is actually how I'd like a yellow day to be this weekend.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:56 am

Allisonmeg wrote:However on a positive note, I've NOT gone nuts with this and started eating everything in sight!!
Hi, Allisonmeg- That sounds like kind of a worthy fail, mmmm, a big slice of homemade bread with butter! Great that you stopped there and declaired it a limiteded Red day. It might be worth trying to schedule your bread making days on S days, but I know that may not be possible if you keep a steady supply going for your family. Anyway, good to see your're hanging in there.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Thank you! I do have to say the bread was really really good. So at least it was enjoyed. I don't like how that red looks on my calendar, but it makes me extra determined for green today. I'd flip out to see two reds in a row! On a positive note, I just had my oatmeal at 8:30, amazingly late for me AND I sat down to eat. Also I am seeing small but actual movement on the scale.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:28 pm

step by step. Things will evolve. Try not to let the scale play too big a role.

You've got the perfect opportunity to have two green days before the weekend.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:49 pm

Today is Friday and yesterday was a good solid green for me. Something I noticed happening is my obsession with counting/writing calories is dissipating. I can better keep up with each meal in my head and this alone is kind of a big deal. I literally snack all day and never eat a real meal so my counting is a full time job. So yesterday was the second time I noticed I didn't write anything down--and I mean, not on purpose either. Dinner is still not normal for me and I doubt it will change too quickly. I am still eating before the family eats. The only difference is that instead of sampling everything I'm making the whole time, I am eating a bagel and cream cheese before I start cooking. I am also very stressed about the upcoming S day.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:42 pm

Allisonmeg wrote: I literally snack all day and never eat a real meal so my counting is a full time job.
do you mean you do this on S days?

I used to be a 3 meals, plus at least 3 snacks-a-day person - and now I am just three meals a day except at weekends. I've found that at weekends now, I don't snack like I used to - the snacks are more likely to be instead of my meal now - not 'as well as' the meal.

It will all gradually change as long as you stick to it.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:08 pm

I think you meant that was pre-No S. You had gotten out of the habit of eating actual meals, no?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:18 pm

So yes the snacking all day was pre-s but still is the way I think. This will definitely take me longer than 3 weeks to master. After I "noticed" that I wasn't counting calories, I instantly counted them yesterday and found that they appear to be no less than they were counting. I know this can't be true because the scale has stopped slowly creeping upwards. I've already started my second S weekend very badly and it's only morning. My daughter made cookies this week and they've been sitting there on the counter beckoning me. I had resolve that I would have a very controlled S day and then came to the kitchen and totally crushed four of them. I've never written this kind of thing down before, but I feel like it's helping me to own up to these weird behaviors I hide.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:50 am

Today is Sunday. I'm going to have a much better S day than yesterday. Because of the cookie start, it turned into an all junk food kind of day. I need more guidelines for S days. I'm starting with oatmeal right now so that's already a big improvement. I think yesterday got it out of my system though. I even popped popcorn at 10 am because I had wanted some every single time one of my kids popped it this week. I had some Mcdonald's fries, doritos--just all gross food that I was feeling deprived of. I really get how this is working and I'm seeing the benefit of going vanilla. A day to get it out of my system and not be considered a failure is actually a big thing in my black and white mind!

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:50 am

Sunday was not bad. I snacked but on pomegranate seeds or licked off spoons of kids' food. It was basically a no S day that I did a couple of things just to make sure I was Essly. Today dh gets off his trip, which for whatever reason, generally makes me eat everything in sight. So today I can tell will be a challenge. This week will be a challenge. Just looking at 5 blank days looks ominous. I haven't ventured back into that digit I don't want to see, so I must keep thinking of that this week.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:53 am

Monday was kind of difficult. I am giving myself a green dot because I did make it through hubby getting home, making lasagna and garlic bread without totally freaking out. I had a bite of the lasagna but stopped myself and had a bowl of soup instead. So even though it "technically" might call for a red dot, it was a very successful day in what is usually an all out binge-fest.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:00 am

Tuesday very successful! Nothing is all that good calorie-wise but it was a strong green. Easily able to turn down snack offerings of ice cream and other stuff offered by dh. I think I'm going to start writing my food down on here just so I feel more accountable.

2 packs steel Oatmeal
1/2 bagel and Kung Pao broccoli
1 1/2 ruebens
4 k cups thru day

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Wednesday brought a really tough morning with less substantial oatmeal but I made it through. I wanted to snack in the worst of ways. Not coming naturally to me in the least yet!

2 Maple/bs oatmeal, coffee
k-cup and chic broth
Mcdonalds chic salad, lf vinaigrette
k-cup
Rueben, pasta salad, sm yogurt & mango

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:16 pm

Thursday. Ok never mind. I really don't have it in me to write my meals down everyday. Started today with oatmeal. Got Z home with stomach bug and L up with dh all night. So that means no planned lunch today. Though this morning all ready is far better in lacking the midmorning snack craving than yesterday.
Last edited by Allisonmeg on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:07 pm

Ugh, so annoying. Just had big old page posted and lost it. So in a nutshell, it's Friday, and Tuesday is 3 weeks. I had a better scale day than I've had in a long time. Have eaten well today, though my tuna dinner just happened at 3 (I did that fine yesterday too though). I do not want to deal with S day tomorrow. I need someone to just give me a rule to follow.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:49 pm

Saturday morning has already started with three pumpkin chip cookies that my daughter made and left out last night. And my husband, who is all too excited for an S day, keeps pushing all his weekend breakfast stuff at me. So I am at 800 calories and it's barely 8 am. The best I've got right now is keeping S days under 2000 as a guideline. I think we're driving to the mountains to go to an apple orchard. That should at least be a good chunk of the day accounted for.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:19 pm

Have you listened to the podcast 'S days gone wild'? - Reinhard does emphasise the fact that if you try to restrict what you eat on an S day (especially in the beginning) you are likely to lose the game! Counting calories is not part of the plan - especially in the early days of establishing the No S habit on weekdays.

Cookies and breakfast sound fine to me - and sounds like your husband is really supporting you with this, which is wonderful. Monday - Friday No Snacks, Sweets or Seconds. S days are the important 'release' from restriction days.

I hope you and the family have a great day out at the apple orchard in the mountains!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Thank you so much RAWCOOKIE. You are very encouraging! I have counted calories for so many years that it's a hard habit to give up completely. I've been doing a pretty good job of it during the weekdays, but if I'm eating with abandon on S days, I feel like it's the only control I've got. So far, a pattern has been established that I seem to go nuts on Saturday and I am not so frantic on Sunday.
Today has been Daddy chili (the first pot of the season), for all three meals today. I have snacked but nothing all that crazy. Three more kids with the stomach bug so it's been a icky night and day! I do find this is really perfect for me. I kind of need a day that I go nuts and it doesn't count. I think that's how I got through last week. Only two more days until I've gotten 21 days. I'm going to start the clock over and go in 21 day increments.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:59 pm

I hope the kids' bug leaves them soon - that's rotten, for them, and for you! What on earth is a 'Daddy chili'? it's not something I know about! sounds like a big communal pot of food?

Well done for getting to 19 days into the 21 days - excellent work! One of the things I noticed when I started was that I was more likely to go 'red' on a Thursday (or even a Wednesday) - but that has stopped now. I tend to eat more on a Saturday than a Sunday. Funny isn't it?!

I can understand about the counting - I hope you can get out of the habit. I still look at packets out of interest, and with awareness - because NoS doesn't mean you have not care about what you eat. Like I was drinking some bottled pop on Saturday evening - and I wanted a second one, so I checked the label and it was only 49kcl per 100ml - so only 100kcal a bottle. I think if it had been higher I might have not had a second one.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:14 pm

For several of my first Saturdays, I had pancakes drenched in syrup for breakfast. They might as well have been dessert. This would be followed in a few hours by several oz. of milk chocolate. And that was just the morning. Carbs and I had a good thing going. I honestly couldn't stand the idea of having to cut back, even though I felt cruddy on Sundays, and often on Mondays. But it's not that way now.

Keep going!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Thank you so much ladies. I seem to be happier every time NoS Monday comes around. Just the fact I'm already to 21 days is so motivating. When I initailly marked it on the calendar, it looked so far away that I couldn't imagine accomplishing it. Halloween being on an S day is already troubling, but I'm going to hit the 'S days gone wild' at least once a day this week.
Started off with oatmeal that I added nuts and berries to. Kids have teacher's workday so planning on going out to lunch with DH. My goal this week is NO STANDING when I eat.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:48 pm

If you are putting your food on a plate or in a bowl before you eat, it will limit a lot of standing and eating, since it's unlikely you'll eat from them standing up. And it's really almost impossible to really savor food eaten standing, IMHO.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:54 am

Yayyyyy! I have made it 21 days! I re-listened to podcasts all day yesterday and found Solitary snacking really is a big part of my S day problem. I am making myself a guideline... STOP SNEAKING. I have been sneaking for so long it's just second nature not to eat in front of others. I started off standing for dinner last night, but two bites into it I sat down with my husband. So my next two weeks...stop sneaking, start sitting

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:23 pm

Congrats on 21 days! Those are also good S's to avoid. standing and sneaking
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:32 pm

Sitting down to eat with your husband sounds like a brilliant way to go. I live alone, and often used to eat 'on the hoof' - but now I find that I almost always take my plate to the table and sit down properly. It just seemed to happen as part of the the three meals a day habit. I do sometimes eat breakfast over the computer - but I'm sitting at least!

the podcasts are brilliant, aren't they?! :D

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:32 am

Eating my oatmeal and hopping on here has become my surefire way of sitting down for breakfast at least! Thank you guys for your support, it helps me out so much! :D
Yesterday was really hard. You would think with my 21 days, it would be even more motivating, but I had such a binge-y feeling going on I just could not shake it. I was putting groceries away and my husband had bought some granola from the bulk section at the health food store. I was able to get it in a bowl before I started scarfing it down, standing up of course. Oh and the only reason I didn't go for a second bowl was because my two year old interrupted because he wanted to cook an egg (so not by willpower). Then the rest of the day, because technically I didn't do anything wrong, I was looking for reasons that I already had a red so that I could eat everything in sight. All I can say is I made it through the day, which is HUGE and monumental. I can't think of a time I've ever escaped that frantic, weird, stuff-my-face feeling. However I'm not sure that's really worthy as marking as a green day. Anyway 2yo got me up at 3am, it's 430 now so this will be a really long day :(

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:05 am

This might sound weird but maybe you need more sleep? I only say it because I'm 100% positive that I didn't get enough sleep until my youngest was 12. Raising kids is exhausting! And being exhausted causes us to eat all wonky.

Otherwise, congrats on a great success even if it didn't feel much like a success. I hope today guess a little more easily.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:12 pm

putting on the brakes and not letting the day fall into a food-frenzy is a MAJOR VICTORY!
YOU DID IT!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:57 pm

Great save! Resisting WTH is major.

Remember that you can be tired, want to eat, and still not eat, just like you can ignore WTH. It can become second nature. At some point, you can have the desire to eat but you'll think, What's that got to do with it?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Oh my gosh, thank you guys so much. I felt weird admitting that and felt guilty and bad, but getting your support made it seem like I did a good thing. I did great yesterday and things are going easy today too so far.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:09 pm

A red dot has just happened. We roasted pumpkin seeds after we carved pumpkins and I had a couple. Then my husband wanted me to try his dream whip pumpkin jello pie he made, thinking that since it was dinner I could have it. Well I corrected him but took a bite anyway. Then because I reddened the day I did a 'sneak back in' thing and took two more bites. So now I need to correct this and not blow it all since it's already red. It's what I hope to be a prelude of a good S day on Halloween.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:21 am

It's Friday and I'm sitting down having my oatmeal. I didn't eat anything else last night.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:15 am

Today is Halloween S day, oh my! Last night we went out to a Mexican restaurant. I had one margarita and not a single chip, not a single bite of my husband's jumbo burrito. He was mocking that it was insane that I wasn't getting a red dot for my margarita but would if I had a bite of his dinner. I held fast. There was no way anything would get me to have two red dots in a row! Will see if this S day starts bringing any natural moderation on weekend 4.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:17 pm

We went for mexican last night as well. I enjoyed the food but even ordering modestly it felt like a lot of food.

Congrats on your success.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:09 pm

Halloween ended up not being a problem in the slightest. Even on a S day, I had no desire to eat candy. It was a better Saturday than usual. I just went back to my old ways of counting calories so I felt I had some means of control. Well Sunday then turned into my usual Saturday. I grazed nonstop, never sat down, never ate an actual meal. I counted again and was over 2500. What insanity. Then I was struck by a feeling that I wouldn't be able to stop Monday. I had a fear that I would just want to keep snacking. I was unable to shake the feeling I wouldn't be able to stop today. And now today is here, and I ate my oatmeal sitting down and all is normal. I feel back to being ready for No S for the week. I can't imagine that every day of my life was like yesterday. I'm not sure how big I would've gotten if I didn't put a brake on it! I hopped on scale, which I do no more than once a week and it was still steady in a good way, and not creeping up. I'm off to a specialty health store today that sells Reinhard's Scottish oatmeal.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:38 am

Hi, Allisonmeg- Yeah, the occasional out of control S day doesn't do as much long term damage as one might think! In fact it might do some good. Framed between a sane S day and an N day, the excess is highlighted and it is shown for what it is- not all that enjoyable!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:44 am

So now you know; excess doesn't feel very good nor does it look very dignified. :( but now you know how to get yourself to a much more enjoyable place. :) The choice is clear isn't it?

Enjoy your 3 meals today.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks guys!
Monday went very well. I am easily resisting my husband/daughter's homemade pumpkin pie, which is a first. We ordered pizza last night and I actually put a slice and a half on my plate and didn't go back for seconds, though I admit, it was hard. I also had a challenge waiting that extra time-change hour for lunch. But a nice solid No S day. I even sat for all 3 meals.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:57 pm

Yesterday was a success though there was suspicious activity with my eating dinner alone at 2:45, standing up, and, as soon as my husband walked out the door. I really have to work on this afternoon urge I have to be sneaky. Even if I'm not hungry yet, I just have this thing where I have to eat before I make dinner before the family. That is my next big issue to deal with once I really feel established No S ing. I have so many weird food issues that I just have to tackle one at a time. Today has gone ok so far esp for dh leaving on a trip early this morning. But it has a bad feeling about it. It just has a feeling of a red creeping up on me. I'm going to try and be strong!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:39 pm

Are you able to identify why you have the feeling a "red" is creeping up? Perhaps you can plan a strategy if you have an idea of what to expect. Is it because you are alone? Perhaps you can plan to meet someone for your next meal - and then wait for it. Something along those lines.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:03 am

I made it through today, yay! I got through the "red" feeling! Pretty awesome. I'm not sure Gingerpie. I really have to figure that out and I like your suggestion. It may be the perfect storm of being alone (5 in school and one home with me during day), procrastinating whatever I should be doing, and just the plain old OLD habit of grazing constantly through the day trying to push it's way in. I'm just thrilled I defeated the RED DOT today!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:03 am

Hi Allisonmeg- Well done! I think you are doing great. You have some big obstacles to overcome based on your past habits, and you are really overcoming. Stick to the basics of NoS and don't try to fix everything else at once. It's super that you hung on yesterday, and I am rooting for you today!
-Sonya

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:17 pm

Thank you osoniye... I appreciate your routing for me! I will take your advice and just stick with the basics. I'm just going to focus on one thing at at time. It's when I start thinking I have to tackle it all that I end up quitting. So for now I'm only focusing on 3 MEALS, whether they are alone or standing up. I'll get to that later. (but I did sit for the last two).
Today has been good, no problems, does seem to be getting easier. I don't even feel as stressed about approaching S days as I have been. I'm definitely craving sweets a lot less. Actually I'm kind of getting used to not snacking when I walk into the kitchen.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:05 am

I just realized that today is 30 days of No S!! I got the kids Mcdonalds and I deem it worthy of writing that I did not act like a human garbage disposal tonight! There was a whole pack of fries, 3 chicken nuggets, and a cheeseburger with two bites taken out of it left over. Under old circumstances, I know I would've eaten the rest of the burger, eaten bites out of each nugget and had at least a handful of fries. Yay me! I made my oatmeal so it's ready to go in the morning for a good start to S day.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:52 am

Wow, Allisonmeg, that's great! I find it sooo hard to waste food that's already been paid for, that doesn't keep well for leftovers. I don't have kids, but I'm sure that would be a temptation if I did. As you say, though, that is treating oneself "like a human garbage disposal", and there is no benefit to having too much food in one's own stomach rather than the trash can. Go You!
Congrats on 30 days of No S!!
-Sonya

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:02 pm

The ability to throw food away without guilt is one of my secret joys in life :twisted: Wait till the first time you can actually spit food out of your mouth because you realized you put it in the without thinking! It. Will. Blow. You. Away.

Congratulations on a victory of the first magnitude!

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:57 pm

That will blow me away!
Ok so real quick, my S weekend went smoothly. Like nothing good, but no nonstop snacking, excessive calories or anything wacky. I had a Krispy Kreme donut and some snack size candy from Halloween. We had Jet's pizza on Sunday and I went back for more quite a few times. So I think this is actually turning the corner on 'S days gone wild'. It wasn't good but wasn't a trainwreck either. Had oatmeal for breakfast and am feeling like this will be easy to no S today.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:55 pm

I had my first planned S event last night. All went well, had a relatively easy green day. We go to the movies only twice a year. My husband has been wanting to be first to see the new Bond movie, so last night was the night. (An S movie too, S-pectre, and my next movie will be S-tar Wars :wink: ). We split a bag of medium popcorn. I stopped after a normal amount --less than half, had none of his sweets. Still it was a lot of thought put into this bag of popcorn. Normally I would think of this as a twice a year thing and eat every last bite of a large popcorn with me being the one eating over half.
Anyway I think I may see a very important number on the scale this week. I try not to weigh in too often because of my old obsession of weighing myself constantly. Most likely a product of monthly weigh-ins as a flight attendant for many years. But if I could just see this one important pound that I haven't seen since my 6th pregnancy I would be very very happy.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Good luck on the scale :)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:28 am

Hi, alisonmeg! This is my second week of no s and I just stumbled upon your check in thread. Just wanted to say it sounds like you're doing great! I love your comment about not being a human garbage disposal after your kids ate McDonalds. My son didn't finish his pizza for dinner and normally I would have devoured it by now. Keep up the great work!

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:24 pm

It's hard not to finish the kids' food isn't it? I have the hardest time with that! And that leads into this.
Ok so yesterday I have to mark as a RED dot. I licked off a spoon that I was making jello cookies n' cream pudding pops. Now had this been a couple of weeks ago I would've went easy on myself. But I have listened to the 'Strictness' podcast many times now, and I know that if I don't call myself out on it, that lick will turn into licking off all the spoons of things I make for my kids. Then pretty soon, I'll say "Screw it" and that day I marked as green that was really red will turn into an all out binge.
All right, I got that off my chest.
PLUS had it been a purely accidental lick, I may have different thoughts. BUT the thing was, I had made an underhanded snide comment to my husband, and I knew it wouldn't go unnoticed. So for whatever reason, I know I was close to a huge red dot/ lick out the entire bowl for something that had absolutely nothing to do with food.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:36 pm

OMG and I forgot the good news. That important pound has finally been lost!! I am feeling way motivated now :D :D :D

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Ready to start off a good Thursday. Def finding things easier with my motivational pound off.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:41 pm

Congratulations on your pound lost. It really is very motivating isn't it?

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:39 pm

Today is Friday the 13th. Things are really starting to go smoothly. Like not noticing sweets around me. And have gotten used to not licking off every spoon of what my kids eat. This is just the best place I have been in a really long time. I finally feel in control. I even "forgot" to eat breakfast until 9:30 yesterday. I've never forgotten to eat in my life! I only remembered because I thought I have to get on here and check in (and that's when I eat my oatmeal). I've always been "out of calories" by 2:00 in the afternoon, so I wake up dying to eat breakfast. Now I think I don't have as many brain cells devoted to counting what I eat by the minute.
This is also the first time I'm actually naturally beginning not to mentally count in my head. I'm also realizing how insane my incessant counting has been, like some form of OCD.
We're most likely going out for a margarita again this Friday night too. I've toyed with idea of doing what I see a lot of people do, which is have Friday night and Saturday be S days and Sunday a No S. But honestly, right now I kind of like not snacking on the chips. On the other hand, my husband thinks I'm being irrational because we only go out a couple of times a month and I should be flexible in switching out days. I'll see how tonight goes.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:01 pm

Yay--you're doing great! My husband thought I was crazy at first too but he gets it now. I found it so important to keep my boundaries firm in the beginning. Just makes things so much simpler!

Whatever you do, I'd suggest deciding on your game plan ahead of time. Whenever I decide on the fly, things tend to fall apart.

Keep up the good work!!

Linda:)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:45 pm

Had one margarita last night and did not eat any chips or any of my husband's jumbo burrito. Yay! My S day today is snacky but mostly on minestrone soup that's homemade and sitting on the stove for the day. Just started eating a few bites of sesame sticks and finding it hard to not keep eating them, which is why I got on here to pause and regroup.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:57 pm

Sunday is going very snacky...popcorn, fritos, bagel chips, sesame sticks, teddy grahams. No meals to speak of and I don't feel satiated. Wow that sounds even worse than it felt! I'm not sure what's gotten into me today. I'm happy that I know from the last time around that I will be fine and ready on Monday.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:13 pm

It's Monday night and today was much more difficult than I expected. I assumed because last week I felt gross about my Sunday and then was wildly ready to No S on Monday, it would be the same. I have stayed green today and it's definitely easier to say no, but I just had the urge to snack. So basically snacking yesterday just made it harder to not keep the old habit alive.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:34 pm

Tuesday was easy because we did Chinese for lunch which always makes it easier to wait in the morning and not eat dinner early in the afternoon. We went to the grocery store last night and stopped by the bar and had 2 rum and diet cokes. My oatmeal tasted gross this morning so I'm having chicken broth mid morning (now) to tie me over.
Things are *starting* to feel like a young habit.
Last edited by Allisonmeg on Tue May 30, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Sounds great! It really feels good when things start to come together doesn't it?

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:42 pm

Yes it does gingerpie! Today is just a boring day. Started wrapping all the kids stocking stuffers which keeps my hands busy. Hubby left on trip, ordered pizza for dinner just because I'm feeling lazy and am sick of cleaning up kitchen. Going to have some broth before pizza gets here.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:27 pm

The pizza arrived and was better than I expected with it's pretzel crust. I put the leftovers away. That night, I started thinking of how good it was and how by lunchtime the next day (which is now) I would most likely eat every last leftover of it by the time I built it up in my mind. So while I was still full I took it back out of the ziplock I had put it in, and dumped it in the garbage and covered with coffee grounds. Very major move! On the downside, I ate half of one of the cinnamon sticks that came with the pizza. Did it before I even had time to think of it and am annoyed I have to put a red dot!

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:44 pm

Omg today has started off so horribly. I've totally had a midnight sleeping pill induced binge of Halloween candy. In my disgust this morning, I've eaten Cookie Crisp cereal and am out of calories for my S day at 9:00 in the morning. Which means I'll be drinking broth the rest of the day. And then I'll probably be starving by tonight and screw up Sunday because I'll do this again in the middle of the night.
Now that I've written this down, I will try to think of a more rational way to handle this today. Maybe a pack of oatmeal when I actually feel hungry. Mostly I have to not give in to my old way of thinking (which is to "screw it" and eat junk food all day).
Anyway my Sunday plan is to trade my yellow day for Thanksgiving and go green tomorrow. If I know about an S event I would like to implement this for the future.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:54 am

I am happy to report Sunday was green! I will now have a guilt-free Thanksgiving. :D

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:06 pm

Running a bit busy this week. I am so loving I saved my S day Sunday for Thanksgiving. I am cutting myself a tiny bit of slack in that I will taste the spoon of a couple of things I'm pre-preparing. And even that is not enough to swallow. Today I went until 12:30 to eat lunch with no problem. I had two bags of oatmeal instead of one for breakfast, but the payoff is I'm not freaking out by 11. Hubby said to me today that he thinks this diet is really working for me. I said it's not a diet, it's a habit. He said, whatever, it really works well with me--yay!!! Which is what one of you guys told me, that your husband didn't get it at first but ended up loving it for you. Whatever it is, I am feeling SO much more even-keeled. I'm even feeling fine and ready for Thanksgiving, it's usually just a day I stress out about forever!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:29 am

Allisonmeg wrote:Hubby said to me today that he thinks this diet is really working for me. I said it's not a diet, it's a habit. He said, whatever, it really works well with me--yay!!!
Hi Allisonmeg,
Glad things are going well and that your husband is supportive and can see the good NoS is doing you!
We're allowed a couple of NonWeekend S days per month if you want to take them. It's not a must, but can be helpful around holiday time, especially. If you're happy to trade out your weeked days, that's fine too, obviously, but I wasn't sure if you were aware of that in the NoS diet book.
-Sonya

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:05 pm

Thank you, I do know that but 3 days of S is putting me out of my unmoderated comfort zone quite yet!
With that being said, I am making this rule for myself: THANKSGIVING IS AN S EVENT NOT AN S DAY. No snacking or sampling before the meal.
Every single year I purposely sabotage my meal because I get weird eating in front of family. So I secretly snack on things all day and then put things on my plate spread out and then jump up and get stuff nonstop for things family needs. Then I somehow feel secretly vindicated because I "got away" with fooling everyone that I ate. And then I usually end up sneaking it all anyway as I clean up. That's really messed up. I have never ever admitted that before and I hope by confessing it will make me conscious of my behavior. And the only thing that has to change is: NO S UNTIL THANKSGIVING MEAL. That simple

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:56 pm

I am already messing up my mantra for today. I have been eating these rollup/pinwheels and walnuts (and chicken broth) as a kind of lunch while I prepare. Starting right now, I will not snack any more. The next food I put in my mouth will be my Thanksgiving meal. If I stop now, the day will still be fine. I'm going to chew some gum.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:59 pm

Good, Allisonmeg, hang in there!
-Sonya

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:33 am

Thank you so much osoniye. Your support means the world to me! I've even read you on a book review discussion and your knowledge and longevity is really inspiring.
Today was no better or worse than any other Thanksgiving. I did sit down and eat, and even ate the cheesecake at the table instead of off a kid's plate that I was throwing away. I definitely did some snacking beforehand and have had nothing else the rest of the afternoon until right now when I snuck a bite of crust off the pie

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:31 am

Allisonmeg wrote:I did sit down and eat, and even ate the cheesecake at the table instead of off a kid's plate that I was throwing away.
Thanks, Allisonmeg.
I think that is a real victory, sitting down for your meal, when that is not your usual habit. I know there is nothing in NoS that says you have to sit down for meals, but I think that will facilitate your long term success with the system.
Seems like a challenge you are in the process of overcoming, and I really bet you and your family will enjoy meals together more in the long run!
-Sonya

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:24 pm

I agree with Sonya. Sitting down and eating a legitimate treat on a legitimate feast day is healthier in so many ways. That's awesome.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:34 pm

Today is yet another out of control S day. I don't know when this is going to just naturally stop for me. I am making Sunday a No S day and practice what I did this week when my husband and I go out on a date on Tuesday. I am so sick of these S days. I actually forgot it WAS an S day and was giving my son a piece of pumpkin cheesecake. Well I thought, yum that would be so good, too bad it's not an S day. And then that was that. I put it away.
Then around 9am it dawned on me that it IS Saturday. Without so much as a pause I had that cheesecake in my mouth and proceeded to keep "evening" up slices and cleaning the sides. So even though I feel like I've made so much progress, it's just been like the first weekend all over again. I have snacked on nuts and Thanksgiving food all day. I've never sat down and eaten. And in counting calories in my head, I think I'm approaching 3000 (because it's high calorie nuts, cheesecake and sweet potato casserole) and it's only 3:30 in the afternoon and I don't feel the slightest bit satiated. I'm so sick of dreading this Thanksgiving week and it's aftermath.I just want these S days to be over and it be Monday.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:56 am

Hi Allisonmeg,
Sorry to hear you're having a hard time with the S days. It just might be time to invoke the "Sometimes" clause. There's nothing that says you have to S all day and make yourself miserable. I find it's nice to plan something out as my S rather than seeing it as a whole day event. That has in the past been a dessert after Sunday lunch, for example, or now that I'm trying to eat less added sugar, seconds of a special meal or a bowl of fruit salad for dessert. You get the idea.
If you still have leftovers, maybe plan to have a piece of pie or cheesecake after one of your meals. It does help to have the S's sitting down at the table as a deliberate event, or plan a special snack time with the kids. Just give it some thought and planning, and I'm sure you can come up with something you will enjoy that won't feel all out of control.
-Sonya

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:57 pm

I don't feel the slightest bit satiated.

Can you identify why not? I'm just guessing but I suspect you're trying to use food for an emotional purpose rather than a physiological one. Some common reasons for eating are stress, anger, or bordom but food can be used for many different resons. It might be helpful to put some thought into the emotions you are experiencing just before you take a bite. Then it will be easier to develop a strategy to avoid taking the bite in the first place.

Kind regards

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:18 pm

Declaring this a non S day has been fantastic! It is just amazing how by writing down my plans, it makes it stick. It also makes me once again see how important S days are for me. I have had absolutely no problems ignoring pumpkin pie I think I have to have a crazy day a week to actually keep this working. I crave the rules of non S days, but if I didn't have a day to be bad I would never stick to the diet. And once again, thank God I'm not eating like that everyday. My husband asked me if the scale's been good to me because my legs are noticeably thinner. I will definitely go back to the podcasts and listen again to adding a "sometimes" clause. I listen to S Days Gone Wild quite a bit. And I totally agree gingerpie. I am sure it's an emotional purpose. I have to tell myself to STOP and THINK before I take that first bite. Because it's an S day, I have something in my brain that thinks I can stuff my face all day. Thanks everyone!
If you are new to this, I can tell you that writing on here daily is the ticket. I am almost two months into it and having someone to "confess" to is exactly what I needed. It makes you thinks about your actions a lot more.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:33 pm

Nothing new but I just wanted to check in. I ate dinner way too early, but it was a 28-bean soup and it made me so full that I don't think I'll be hungry later. I finally got Reinhard's Old Sussex oatmeal and had it this morning. (Also had the bean soup for lunch).

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:53 pm

This is monumental. I have officially lost 10 pounds since beginning this diet 2 months ago. It somehow went slowly enough I didn't really realize it, and who would've thought it would happen when I STOPPED counting calories! I have obsessively written calories down as long as I can remember. The best part is it must be a habit now because I'm forgetting to write my green dots down (whereas it was a "thing" to get to the end of the day to mark it).

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:26 pm

Hey, that's really great news! Congratulations on your weight loss!
-Sonya

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:36 pm

Just checking in. We have a lot of nuts we've cracked and are now displayed. I am finding it hard not to snack on them. Hubby has sworn off all sugar so it's been so much easier now that there are no sweets around. I think I'm ready for tomorrow's S day. I never know until it's here. My plan of intent is to No S until dinner and then have something for dessert.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:23 pm

Ok I have to write my intentions down. We may go out tonight. If that happens I am using my S tonight instead of on Saturday. I really really hope we do because I would be thrilled not to have to worry about all day tomorrow. I have been trying to talk hubby into it, but because of new health kick he's on, I haven't gotten a solid yes.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:12 pm

We went out Friday night, and I threw up anything I tried to eat on Saturday. (Not the big party girl anymore :oops: )
Now on Sunday I have been snacking somewhat this morning which is generally how my S days start to go wild.

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:57 pm

Ok I'm doing pretty well for a true S day. I had 5 peanut m&ms and didn't have any crazy desire to eat the entire package. I'm not counting calories even though it's S. I also didn't weigh myself because of yesterday--it would've been a good but fake scale day! My stomach was the flattest I've seen it in a long time, just not for good reasons :shock:

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:34 am

Geez I waited too long in between posts. I got a midnight red last night for eating a handful of nuts. I could call this a super early breakfast, but the whole point is I've been doing this all week, essentially having dinner at 2 in the afternoon and being done eating for the day. So the cycle has to be broken. It has made the last few days tough to get through, BUT I did get through them. I have actually felt hunger and ridden the wave til it passed. Sunday was 2 months No S ing and I'm very confident in seeing month 3!