Daily chat thread

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

oolala53

Daily chat thread

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:07 pm

I know some people here would like to keep up with each other without necessarily having to look at separate check-in threads. Or have to check the general discussion for new topics.

Feel free to use this thread that way, and possibly double post on your check-in thread to keep your messages all in one place.

If some of us oldsters know that some topics have been written about, we can direct others to search.

I'm maintaining a bit lower than I had been. Still not sure why, but I'm going with it, not attempting to change much to stay there.. except a little. Just keeping my portions of dense food rather small per my appetite. Trying not to get way full, And rarely drinking coffee (I don't like it without creamer) between meals. But I had been doing that for months will little change.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:22 am

Brilliant idea oolala, and much easier for me to keep up with than daily threads.

I'm still chipping away with vanilla No S, about 2kg (4 pounds) heavier than when I got pregnant. I'm walking almost every day, following a site that gives how many miles the Hobbits walked from home to Rivendell in the Lord of the Rings (yep, I'm a giant nerd) and doing a daily VERY short strength routine.

I'm still finding that I sometimes don't enjoy my weekend days, with occasional overeating that makes me feel a bit off. I'm interested in hearing different ways people handle their weekend S days, as after 3 years I think I'm ready to try a different approach.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:04 am

I've recently started emphazising the "sometimes" part of the rules. As in, " sometimes on days that start with s" It helps me to remember that I can enjoy treats but I don't need to go overboard. It's a trick that works most of the time.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:24 am

After two and a half years, I finally gave in and instituted a mod for S days. Most of my overdoing it was done alone and on sweets. Cookie dough was kryptonite. So I made a rule that I could not have cookie dough and I could not eat sweets unless in the company of others. But I had gotten really tired of still feeling in the clutches of food. I've had slips on that but that's close to how I conduct S days now. Sometimes I nibble on carbs too much.
Last edited by oolala53 on Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:55 am

Ugh...I am soooooo struggling these days! After several (almost 4) years of maintaining weight and habits, everything has gone bonkers - haywire - or whatever you want to call it! I can't seem to get a grip on anything! I know I am very stressed with work, but that's really nothing new for me. Maybe I am just getting older and can't deal with it as well?
I have gained almost 15 pounds of my initial loss back, and I am in a panic. The more I panic, the worse it gets.
I need to stop, take a breath, and get back with Vanilla NoS...three meals a day - that's it! It just seems easier said than done these days...but WHY????

Mimi :(
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:38 pm

I say it is because you have tripped the wire of old habit. Those neural patterns are very strong and latent. I went through this at 5 years in. What did it for me was trying to meal-skip on N days because my appetite was so low, I wanted to experience more hunger. Also, I secretly wanted to see if I could lose a little more weight. It backfired for months and months!

I pulled out my list of "the benefits of eating moderately," which is basically Vanilla and started reading it again every day. Most of it is just damn peace of mind. I know if I eat three moderate (and most are rather small now) meals, I'm being reasonable and shouldn't expect much more. I also won't miss out on much, if I make sure I include things I like. I'm lucky now that I like a lot of nonjunk food.

And I was very sure I did not want to go back to escalating eating. I spent a few minutes at various times of the day remembering the rotten feelings of being too full and letting myself dread the vicious circle. (Research shows anticipating shame and avoiding it works better than failing and shaming yourself.)

As has been true for me for a long time, if I skip meals, it's likely on S days because I either eat sweets that make me feel so full these days, or I eat out, and also tend to be more full, though I continue to work on that. For some reason, that doesn't usually set me off.

Just try to get through your worst time without eating for a few days. For me, it was late afternoon.

I had gone up past my maintenance for about six months, though not as high as you, but now I'm lower than I've ever stayed on No S, though I'm not recording it for another month. But it took a long time.

Mantra: It's worth it to wait to eat.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:13 pm

I hear ya! I've been struggling again as well but when I looked back at my entries it seems I always struggle this time of year. I've started counting the day a "success" if I can get through the evening hours without eating/drinking regardless of what happens the rest of the day. Doesn't matter much though because I only fail in the evenings.

Persevere and all will become clear . . . . I hope.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:06 am

oolala53 wrote:I say it is because you have tripped the wire of old habit. Those neural patterns are very strong and latent. I went through this at 5 years in. What did it for me was trying to meal-skip on N days because my appetite was so low, I wanted to experience more hunger. Also, I secretly wanted to see if I could lose a little more weight. It backfired for months and months!

I pulled out my list of "the benefits of eating moderately," which is basically Vanilla and started reading it again every day. Most of it is just damn peace of mind. I know if I eat three moderate (and most are rather small now) meals, I'm being reasonable and shouldn't expect much more. I also won't miss out on much, if I make sure I include things I like. I'm lucky now that I like a lot of nonjunk food.

And I was very sure I did not want to go back to escalating eating. I spent a few minutes at various times of the day remembering the rotten feelings of being too full and letting myself dread the vicious circle. (Research shows anticipating shame and avoiding it works better than failing and shaming yourself.)

As has been true for me for a long time, if I skip meals, it's likely on S days because I either eat sweets that make me feel so full these days, or I eat out, and also tend to be more full, though I continue to work on that. For some reason, that doesn't usually set me off.

Just try to get through your worst time without eating for a few days. For me, it was late afternoon.

I had gone up past my maintenance for about six months, though not as high as you, but now I'm lower than I've ever stayed on No S, though I'm not recording it for another month. But it took a long time.

Mantra: It's worth it to wait to eat.
What great advice, as always, oolala. You are such a voice of reason! I think you are absolutely correct in saying that I have tripped the wire of old habit...that's exactly what has happened. It began, as I think about it, by eating more than necessary at meals - fuller plates, and taking too many S events. That morphed into eating this "just this once" and then it just went downhill from there.
I have a list of reasons why I wanted to lose weight that I made when I read Judith Beck's book - again, your recommendation! I like the idea of making a list of the benefits of eating moderately. I'm going to come up with my reasons this evening. Evenings are my worst time, but I will get through tonight and tomorrow will be easier! Thanks again...and it is worth it to wait and eat.
Mimi :D

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:15 am

gingerpie wrote:I hear ya! I've been struggling again as well but when I looked back at my entries it seems I always struggle this time of year. I've started counting the day a "success" if I can get through the evening hours without eating/drinking regardless of what happens the rest of the day. Doesn't matter much though because I only fail in the evenings.

Yah! That's my difficult time as well.

Persevere and all will become clear . . . . I hope.

Thanks! That's what I'm aiming for!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:20 pm

oolala53 wrote:After two and a half years, I finally gave in and instituted a mod for S days. Most of my overdoing it was done alone and on sweets. Cookie dough was kryptonite. So I made a rule that I could not have cookie dough and I could not eat sweets unless in the company of others. But I had gotten really tired of still feeling in the clutches of food. I've had slips on that but that's close to how I conduct S days now. Sometimes I nibble on carbs too much.
I tried a mod of "only in company" a few years ago, but at the time I was often home alone my baby (as I am again now with my second) and I ended up with some weekends of no treats as a result. Then I went into a "poor me" process, leading to some reds. I think I'll try the "in company" mod again, but just keep an eye on how I'm feeling.

Some of my weekend dissatisfaction comes from snacking and then not really enjoying meals and treats. So, the other mod I'm considering is sticking to meal-based eating on weekends, with snacks only if part of an event (e.g. finger food at a party).

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:05 am

Just bumping this up so its easy to find.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:35 am

I finally got tired of moaning and groaning about my weight and did something about it. Not exactly No S but pretty close (eat less, move more, no junk). I definitely had No S in my head as I implemented my homemade plan. I have lost 22 pounds and have ten more to go. In addition to eating less, I have also been Urban Rangering, walking six to ten miles a day. I have also recently begun a calesthenics program.

Anyway, I want to rejoin you on the discussion board. I am moving from my own plan back to strictly Vanilla No-S now.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:29 am

Ironchef, I've had quite a few weekends with no sweets because I live alone and don't always socialize on weekends. At first I though it would be dangerous, meaning I would feel it was too hard. But it's not usually an issue any more. I remember that Reinhard said the word "sometimes" about S's so I figured that meant there would be sweet-less weekends in a longtermers life. Really, I had overdone it so many times before, it seemed like I would be okay if some weekends went by without any sweets. I think it helped that it wasn't some hard-nosed swearing off.

Speaking of, I was surprised that no one had any candy at work (high school) today. All of a sudden, I started thinking that candy corn sounded like a good idea. But I also couldn't see myself buying any today. I gave myself permission to figure out how to eat Halloween candy tomorrow. The urge passed. I'm not even sure I'll follow through, but I might. My plans are still up in the air.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:17 pm

Funny this topic came up now. I've only recently embraced the "sometimes" portion of the rules. It makes total sense though. It's a natural extension of the idea of moderation. It also fits historicaly. The reason"special" foods were thought of as special is because they were enjoyed only occasionally at celebrations and such; certainly not every weeked.

That being said, the risk of feeling deprived is very real so allowing a bit of something is vital to my success. I don't pre-plan mine though. I like the feeling of spontinaity that the weekend brings - I've never been much of a binger so I don't have that issue to contend with.

catservant

Post by catservant » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:06 pm

I really don't want to eat a bunch of sugary things today, even though it's both Saturday and Halloween. I am focused on recalling clearly how awful I felt by the end of last weekend from the VOLUME of food and all the sugar. I feel so much better if I just stick to moderate intake of mostly whole foods.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:13 pm

Catservant- it helps when I take the time to really- really- taste what I'm eating. Most of it isn't all that tasty and I'm often able to spit out the first bite because it's just gross. If I spit it out, I'm sure not going to take a second bite. :?

Good luck today.

catservant

Post by catservant » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:17 pm

I've been thinking about that very thing, Gingerpie. All too often I eat my meals either in front of my computer or while listening to something on TV. I really need to focus more on what I'm eating, enjoying the tastes, and stop wolfing down my meals!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:44 pm

I must have lousy taste buds. I haven't tasted much that I'd call gross. I still like Caesar's $5 pizza and Mexican fast food. It would probably be an advantage to be more picky. But I trade off by keeping the portion down.

Oh, and speaking of special foods, I heard an obesity researcher call them celebratory foods. Only problem is in our culture people are ready to celebrate everything with food. Or "treat" ourselves, as if we need sweets to get through the day. Come to think of it, I DID use to feel that I needed that. Dang thing is, it just doesn't work! If it did, I'd probably still weigh a lot more. Hmm. Might be worth it. :shock:
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi everyone -
I'm hoping I can stay consistent with the 'sometimes' part of No S for today. I am going to allow myself a treat if I really want one but I'm going to make it my goal not to binge on the Halloween candy (which is always a problem for me). I want to enjoy this holiday season -- treats and all -- but without going overboard and then feeling guilty!!

I also struggle with trying to make my meals as healthy as possible and today I'm emphasizing just having a meal without any stipulations other that the basics of No S.

Good luck to everyone today!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:09 pm

Try to remember that when the urge to overdo the candy comes, as well it might, that you can't find out what it's like to experience the next day without eating too much unless you actually don't eat too much! Give yourself the gift of finding out.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:08 pm

Just a reminder to all those with extra Halloween candy in the house:

:arrow: You're allowed to throw it away! No need to torment yourself with it. And for those of you thinking, "But I'm keeping it for the kids." I ask two questions:

1) Really?
2) Why?

Trust me, I've been there. It was incredibly freeing to realize that my kids are not deprived. They don't need it either. So my process is this:

Day one: it's theirs no questions
Day two: Separate into what they love and what they hate - toss out what they hate - they wont care - they hate it.
Day three: put what they love in the freezer - it slows down the eating.
Day seven: they've probably started to forget about it.
Day fourteen: take out what they really want to save. Even they will admit that they don't care if you toss the rest.
Middle of summer: throw out the dregs :lol:

I'm feeling very feisty today. Hope you all don't mind a little unsolicited advice.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:36 pm

There are dregs that last until summer?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:45 am

So, I've been checking out sparkpeople but I'm not sure it's for me. It feels very intense and I'm basically a lazy person so there is an inherent disconnect. But, in an attempt to give it a fair try I've started a 21 Day sparkpeople challenge in order to really get to know the site. The challenge coincides with my no-s 21 November challange so I'm thinking it's perfect timing. By the end of the challenges I should have a really good idea a whether or not it suits.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Thanks all for the back up on making weekends more low key. This weekend was much better. I shared a nutella crepe with a friend at a market on Saturday. On Sunday I shared a small piece of caramel slice with my husband, but decided it wasn't very nice and didn't finish it.

I concentrated on still having 3 plated meals like I do on week days and not snacking. Also, I've stopped my "just because it is the weekend" stuff like jam on my toast and honey on my oats. I don't REALLY want those things, so why bother.

Would you believe I didn't eat any Halloween candy? Our kids are too little for trick or treating, and our dog barks loud enough that no one ventures down our lane. So, nothing in the house and no motivation to buy anything.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:13 pm

I bought some half price candy on Sunday. It was fun. Not longing for any more.

I've got classes on Monday and Tuesday nights that I'm having a harder time negotiating dinner around than I thought I would. They don't mess me up completely, but I do feel off-center. I'd like to get a little more flexible about it without feeling like I"m doing a balancing act.

I find I am very judicious in my Sparking. Just like binge foods, I've kinda gotten over it, though I have spots that work for me. But it is a bastion of obsession and food prejudices. Maybe this thread will take up the slack a few were looking for.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:50 pm

I spoke too soon. Had a spectacular fail yesterday. No special stress, nothing to celebrate. Didn't really even need to walk in those markets, though I did end up getting some useful things. So much dang freedom!

Don't know if I mentioned it elsewhere but I recently browsed an early work by Roy Baumeister of later Willpower fame. He said that our modern expectations of being a "self" are qualitatively more complicated than in the past. I think he said the Industrial Revolution was a turning point. Makes sense. Before that, it was mostly peasants, clergy, and aristocracy. Maybe a few merchants. He said that gambling, alcohol, and bingeing, and the ultimate, suicide, are all escapes from the burden of self. The only escape that he sanctioned was spirituality, or more precisely, an emphasis on meditative or contemplative practices that focus on what we can sense right now and the rejection of the jabber of the mind. I guess I was unconsciously escaping my self? Who knows. The cure is the same. Wait for dinner to eat!
Last edited by oolala53 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:02 am

I wonder if I've been using "good health, diet and nutrition" as a distraction from focusing on other aspects of my life with which I'm disatisfied. If I'm busy ready and learning about the effects of sugar on my body, the benefits of exercise or even how to eat only 3 meals per day (that last one is pretty obvious isn't it :roll: Then I can't be using that time to focus on "What am I going to do when the kids are grown. Or, "Do I really want to continue to live here.?" Basically, I can't focus on living my life because I'm distracted by this one small aspect of it. On the other hand perhaps success in this one small aspect is what is giving me confidence to tackle the rest.

And on that note - I have to go tackle getting my kids out of bed.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:36 pm

Ouch. another fail, but not as big. I'm not allowing myself to get too annoyed.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:40 pm

GP, it's a bit of a heady read, but if you're ever in the mood, consider reading The Beauty Myth. A radical argument, but it's got some shade (at least) of truth.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:26 pm

I know that my hardest times are when I have discretionary time and I SHOULD be doing productive, useful things that I don't like to do. I've avoided a lot of them AND a lot of eating posting here and reading up on slim cultures and such.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:00 am

Hey Everybody!

Thanks for starting this thread oolala, it's a terrific idea!

I too, have been struggling with the No S rules.

Sometimes, when this happens to me, I'm better off taking a hiatus from No S. My crazy diet head is resurrected when my HabitCal is mostly red. I always know I'll return to No S, sometimes I need to step back.

Instead of obsessing about food, I re-directed my thoughts to getting strong and lifting heavy things. Last weekend I competed in a Tactical Strength Challenge. I dead lifted 210 lbs!

The next Strength Challenge is in April. I want to enter the Master's Division. The rules are you have to be over 50 years old,I'm 58. And you have to do at least one pull up.

Pull ups are easier to do at a lower weight. Sticking to the No S rules will get me to a lower weight.

I'm fired up again!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:00 am

I just want to eat and move moderately, consistently. I'll take the body that gets. It's possible I'll do more after I retire, but I don't want to depend on it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:27 am

Hi oolala!
Eating and moving moderately, on a consistent basis is probably the best goal of all! Sometimes it's the hardest goal of all!
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

tacodiscos

Post by tacodiscos » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:12 am

I know I'm late but... I saw someone said you can toss the Halloween candy... funny, I did that!! Albeit, I ate a few pieces but then decided then being in the trash is no different than someone taking them at my door. Woo hoo!
Start date: 7/21/15, apx 180lbs
2/5/16, -16lbs, 164

HappyHiker

Post by HappyHiker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:43 pm

Yesterday I picked up a sledgehammer (8 lbs) and did shovel glove for the first time for not even 5 minutes in hopes to work up to 14 every N day. Today I am unable to move. It is shocking how completely out of shape I am! This was a real wake-up call.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:02 pm

That's actually quite normal for a first shovelglove session, HappyHiker! It's easy to underestimate how hard a workout it is.

Hope you feel less sore soon and best wishes easing into it,

Reinhard

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:44 pm

Hi all! Thanks for all your posts - I learn something from each one of you.

Still feeling great about my new discovery of No S. Have been doing it for about 3 and a half weeks. I love it. My weekends so far have all been quite permasnacky, (a.k.a. "chain-smoking food") but I guess that is normal, and I'm already starting to think, "actually I prefer the moderation of the N days - I like being hungry and really enjoying my meals!" So I reckon tomorrow might be a little more moderate than last weekend. I don't want to interfere with the natural progress of things, though, so I'm certainly not going to introduce any rules or optimisations.

The only thing that's bugging me is that I feel really fat. :lol: Maybe that's because I'm more painfully aware of how much I eat. I shudder to think that my normal days would often be like my S days are now. I would eat at any opportunity and had been brainwashed into thinking snacking was necessary for me (good for the metabolism; good for the mood and preventing anxiety; good for preventing ravenous, unhealthy hunger at meals)! I internalised all this quite young, with Debra Waterhouse's book, Outsmarting the Female Fat Cell, which (I now realise!) has been a big influence on me right up to discovering No S. Well, the scales have been lifted from my eyes, and I can't imagine ever believing in snacking again. But despite my successful compliance so far with No S, I feel quite blob-like, and I'm reflecting on the fact that, if I were calorie counting, after 3 weeks I would now be lighter by several pounds and fitting into my smaller-size skirts. I can't actually be gaining weight on No S, can I? I'm following it to the letter. Maybe some people do gain a little before their S days settle down? Would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced this feeling of increased fatness at the start of No S. :roll: (I don't want to weigh myself because if I encounter an upwards blip, it will really scare me.)

There's also a sense of loss in me: I'm no longer feeling really excited about the freedoms of the S days...does this mean that I will never experience excitement again?!!! Part of me misses the thrill of compulsive eating. The constant anticipation of the next chocolate bar. It used to feel like the only thing worth living for! Maybe some neurotic bit of me will make the cycle of excitement, rebellion and naughtiness start again by finding a fake reason to give up on No S? Do any of you have these fears?

All the best and sorry for rambling on so long! Hope you all have a great weekend! xxx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:57 am

All normal ponderings, Octavia. It's really got to be lived, though. You just can't know ahead of time how it will all shake out.

I pray you can let the weight thing go for a bit. It complicates things! But at some point you do have to get honest with yourself about whether you're being moderate about your meals. Its' not advisable in the first few months.

Yes, if you were calorie counting, you might be lighter by now. And if that had worked to help you wean yourself off overeating in the past, which is what really has to happen long term to keep weight off, you wouldn't be checking out No S, right? This is different.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:25 am

Thanks once again for your support, Oolala! It's amazing how unwilling we can be to do things unless there is an instant reward. youre right when you say 'you just can't know ahead of time how it will all shake out.' In terms of my weight, I just don't know how this will turn out...though in terms of my eating, I've already had results - I have never felt better or more normal.

Thinking of 'normal eating' - I've read many books about 'eating like a thin person', but these philosophies tend to be the opposite of No S - they tend to be rule-free 'just eat when you're hungry and stop when you're mildly full'. Such philosophies have been so painful for me! They fail to grasp the fact that gentle rules and occasional excess, as on No S, are actually a more normal way of eating. (Can you tell I'm quite cross about all the diet books I've internalised over the years?!!!) :lol:

All the best and thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:20 am

Oh yes many of us here have had terrible experiences with intuitive eating! NoS was the first time maybe ever that I felt normal around food. It was such a relief. The weight loss came later but the emotional rewards have been tremendous.

You're in the right place!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

noni

Post by noni » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Octavia- They call it "normal eating," but I fail to see how normal it is. Cooking dinner and watching your family eat it while you wait around until your stomach growls, doesn't seem normal to me. I would eat a smidgen of a lunch in fear I wouldn't be hungry for dinner. IE keep me from a lot of food thoughts between meals, but not anxiety-producing timing thoughts!

The one good thing it did for me was get me off of diet foods.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:40 pm

NO culture in the world has all their members eating only when they're hungry and doing it willy nilly. Slim cultures know intuitively that that encourages emotional and/or mindless eating that is ultimately unsatisfying. Sure, you can eat when you're hungry, but you can wait for a meal to do it. And if it means you sometimes eat a little lightly because you're not hungry when it's time to share a meal, okay.

It's obvious now, I say, that the habits of the naturally thin have not been a good idea. There are so few of them! The world is now officially a third overweight or obese, on average. That's what not having guidelines to navigate overexposure to food does. The IE people say it's because of dieting, but most of the world is just starting on the dieting nightmare of careening from restriction to bingeing, ignoring the middle ground. I shudder to think of the consequences.

"Though the rate of increase in obesity has slowed in the developed world, in the developing world, home to two-thirds of the world’s obese people, obesity rates are projected to continue their climb." from Time, May 28, 2014.

I travelled in Peru several years ago, where the poverty rate is 50%. However, there are tons of obese people and I saw ads for weigh loss clinics! But the restaurants served lunches and dinners with typically a mountain of French fries.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Octavia

Post by Octavia » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:17 pm

lpearlmom wrote: The weight loss came later but the emotional rewards have been tremendous.

You're in the right place!
These are great words to hear! Thanks so much, lpearlmom. Still feeling really good and calm on NoS after about a month. Another good side effect of NoS for me is that weekends feel special, truly festive and relaxed! Though I find with the N days that I really enjoy my food, as I am properly hungry. It feels like win-win. I hope that for me, the weight loss might come along later, like for you, lpearlmom. Thanks to noni and oolala for sharing your thoughts, too.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:25 am

oolala53 wrote:I traveled in Peru several years ago, where the poverty rate is 50%. However, there are tons of obese people... the restaurants served lunches and dinners with typically a mountain of French fries.
In East Africa there is a new-ish idea for small business, where someone is set up with a deep fat fryer, and can sell samosas and french fries on the street. This "great" business idea has taken root and seems to correlate with a far greater number of overweight people floating around than before. It used to be part of the "shame" culture that it was bad to eat on the street, but that is not the case anymore.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

kccc

Post by kccc » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:20 pm

oolala, this is a lovely idea for a thread. There are so many people that I would love to check in on and say hi to and speak to individually... but the fact of the matter is that I just do not have time to go to each individual thread. Life is very full (mostly good) and it's just not possible without neglecting things that require my attention.

But I DO want to connect. There are so many wonderful people here! I smiled as I looked at the names on the daily threads - recognized so many.

At any rate... today is Monday, and I always like to "start strong" for the week. Hope everyone else is as well!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:28 pm

Anybody else out there think they just try to do too much? I must have been acting a bit off the deep end the last few days because dh asked me if I needed a weekend away - just me :? I don't really. I do, however, want to think less about food in all its permeations. And to that end, this is my plan:

Devise a weekly menu. - 6 default meals with supplies always in the house so that, if I don't want to do anything special there will be a default meal easily at hand.

Get a shopping list set up so that when dh goes shopping he actually buys something I can cook. He is very helpful so I never complain but he gauges a successful shopping trip by the time it takes (shopping in less than 1 hour is considered successful) and the total cost. He absolutely does not think "I wonder what she is actually going to cook with this" :? )

Plan and prep vegetables lunches, breakfasts and snacks on the weekend to try to streamline the mornings.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:44 am

Could have sworn I replied to this, saying I don't do much! But I do tend to have groceries in the house for decent meals.

We have a yearly 2-night event in San Diego to kick off the Christmas season. It's an outdoor extravaganza in a park that was the site of the Panama-California exposition in the early 1900's. The weather is uncharacteristically warm, but I could not get myself to go out and take advantage after three days on jury duty and taking public transit that got me home later than it would have been prudent to then head out for the festivities. If the weather holds, I might go tomorrow.

Have been failing lately, and I can't even blame parties.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23