Maggie Mae's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

MaggieMae

Maggie Mae's daily check in

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:14 pm

Hi! I found out about No S 3 1/2 years ago. I've started it several times, and after I get a RED day I get frustrated and give up. I started a low carb diet a week ago with a coworker, and it is absolute torture! It made me feel like I was going to die. NO energy, people asking me why I was so down ( because I'm usually upbeat and positive), and just an overall blah feeling. Enough of that. I re-read the No S book, and I know what I need to do. Tomorrow is the day. If I start now, I can be at a healthy BMI by my son's 4th birthday next September. I just need to brace myself for that first RED day, and tell myself to mark it and move on. I'm tired of being obsessed with food.... what to eat, when, what diet should I start tomorrow,etc. I've tried the 3 day military diet ( didn't make it through the first day), Atkins/Paleo, counting calories on My Fitness Pal, Diabetic Exchange Diet, Slim-Fast, 80 Bites, fasting, 8hour diet, low fat. I probably missed one. I like the fact that No S allows me to eat socially, without any one knowing I'm on a diet. I'm so used to failing and giving up, that I'm scared to put this on here. A little about myself, in case anyone is reading.... I'm 38 years old, mom to a 3 year old little boy. He's sweet and precious. He also is high functioning on the autism spectrum. I am a dermatology nurse, which means I'm on my feet assisting skin cancer surgeries or running all day long rooming patients and assisting biopsies at a busy practice. I come home exhausted and with very sore legs, so I've stopped exercising on days that I work so I can let them recover. Thankfully, I only work 3 days a week. I LOVE walking and on my days off I take my son to nature trails and we "go hiking" as he says. I have a wonderful husband. We are both nature lovers, quiet natured, and enjoy simple things. Now, how am I going to break it to my co-worker that she's all alone on the low carb diet?? My biggest addiction is Soda. Especially Mtn Dew and Coke. It gives me a boost of energy at work to make it through the afternoon. That will be my biggest hurdle this week. Wish me luck!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:28 pm

Hi and welcome. Yes you probably will have a red day but as you already know, you don't need to be perfect to succeed. Think of it this way: when your little guy was learning to walk
(Or talk, or anything else) did he do it perfectly the first time? Probably not. Did you tell him to just give up or to stop trying and move on to some other way of walking because his way wasn't working? Of course not. You understood that he needed to practice and that practice would lead to improvement which would eventually lead to success. Treat yourself with the same loving patience that you show him and you'll go far.

As for your co-worker, She's probably bounced around a few diets herself. Maybe you can talk her into trying no-s :wink:

Good luck and kind regards.

admount

Post by admount » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Hello and welcome! Congratulations on coming back to No S! I really like your attitude about red days. I hope I can learn to take them in stride too and know that they'll happen (eventually), but that I can move on from them. After all, the whole premise of No S is that how you eat most of the time is more important than a few days with sweets and seconds and snacks.

Best of luck!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:37 am

DAy 1: SUCCESS

Thanks for your encouragement, admount and gingerpie! It was hard in the afternoon to resist snacking out of boredom, but I had a few ounces of juice and that helped. This evening, I had a cup of coffee with a few ounces of warm milk in it and I now have no hunger or cravings for a night time snack. On a side note, at the bottom of my page, there are ads for Mtn Dew, which I wrote was my biggest temptation. That's just not right! :P

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Day 2- SUCCESS

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:57 pm

Good job. Just keep at it one day at a time!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks, gingerpie!

Day 3: SUCCESS

I was looking on the site today for encouragement/motivation and I stumbled across a No S blog by Blueskighs. I am reading it, and it is amazing. So many issues that I have dealt with all of my life like binge eating, emotional eating, etc. are being addressed. I have hope that someday I, too, will be able to eat without thinking about calories/carbs/fat, blah blah blah. I will continue to read that blog, and then check out others so that I can learn from those who have No S'd before me. :D

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:55 pm

DAY 4: SUCCESS

I was bombarded by food at work ! The doctor brought in a giant bowl of left over Halloween candy and sat it at the nurses station. I ignored it all day. I was getting light headed before lunch ( no time to snack, even if I wanted to!). Lunch was catered....Mexican style buffet, including chips and various dips. I managed to eat one plate, without piling it ridiculously high! They even brought cookies for dessert, and I passed! HUGE success for me today. Tomorrow will be tough. I have always felt the need to celebrate Fridays.... go out to eat, or out for ice cream. Plus, I don't work tomorrow, which means more time for snacking in the afternoon. If I make it through tomorrow, I will feel confident.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:52 am

Welcome & you're doing great! Piling plates high in the beginning is definitely the way to go! Mine were huge at the start but have slowly dwindled to very moderate sizes. Getting habits down first is really the key to all this.

Best of luck tomorrow!

Linda :)
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:57 pm

Thanks , lpearlmom!

Day 5: SUCCESS

Today was rough. I was legitimately hungry at 3:30. I drank a glass of milk and took my son to walk a nature trail. Came home and ate dinner. Yay, me! If I get hungry this evening, I'll make a cup of decaf and add some warm milk. Can't believe I've almost made it through my first week with no RED days! I am feeling soooo hopeful. I think I'm going to try to not weigh myself until December 1st. Every time I"m on a diet, I weigh myself too often or too soon, and if the scale doesn't move (or fluctuates up) I give up. Going to try to focus on habit and let the rest take care of itself. By the way, no one noticed that I was on a "diet" this week! Nothing worse than hearing, "how's the diet going?" or "why are you eating that....I thought you were on a low carb diet?" Those days are gone. Eating normally, and socially. I just exhaled a big sigh of relief. :D :D Tomorrow is girls night. About twice a year, I get together with about 6 girls I used to work with and we have a nice dinner and a glass of wine, usually dessert, too and catch up on each others lives. It's my first S day....I can't wait!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:37 am

Yay--you're doing great!! Don't you love being able to feel normal around food? Definitely focus on those habits first. You can focus on weight if you want later.

Have a great weekend!

Linda

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Great job! Wow! One week already? Time flies. Distracting is a great strategy to use. I especially like it because it means I'm really living my life. Not just eating my way through it.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:47 pm

My first S day ! I gotta say, I've been over doing it with sugar today. Tomorrow I will definitely get back to common sense. I was just so excited to break the rules. Go big or go home! I took my son for donuts this morning. I had 2.... Would've been satisfied with one. Drank a mtn dew , had a cheeseburger kids meal for lunch. Just had a peanut butter milkshake. I desperately need to let it digest before my dinner this evening.... The restaurant is called the Beer Kitchen. I've been active all day. Took my son to two different playgrounds. I actually climb and go down slides and stuff with him.... He's not a kid who will take offand play by himself. I have to model it for him. Then we walked a nature trail. I doubt most of my S days will be this crazy. Just had to get it out of my system. Oh, , I need to put my starting stats on here. I'm5'7, 192 pounds BMI 30.1(obese). My goal is to get into a healthy BMI category, which would be 159 pounds. That means I have33 pounds of fat that need to disappear. My goal date is to lose the weight before my son's birthday next fall.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:04 am

Hi, MaggieMae,
You are entitled to overdo it on those early S days, as the feeling of being overfull can help to make you want to avoid excess in the long run.
You're doing a great job!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:35 pm

Thanks, Sonya!

My second S day is more calm. After taking our son to the park and walking a new trail, we stopped at a new locally owned ice cream shop and got a milkshake. Gotta get back on the N day routine tomorrow. I'm off work tomorrow, so it will be tough to resist those afternoon munchies.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:57 pm

Day 8 : SUCCESS

I'm cooking dinner now, so I'm going to go ahead and call it success. If I make it to dinner without screwing up, it's pretty much a sure bet. Took my son to an Amish bakery to pick up some early gifts and let him pick out a giant, delicious looking donut. I wasn't even tempted. I had a job that I LOVED a few years ago, and the company got bought out. They've recently reopened, and I applied a week ago. Haven't heard anything. Found out today that they asked another former nurse to rejoin them, so I'm dealing with some anxiety and disappointment. He was....to put it nicely.....a less than ideal employee. I guess that doesn't mean they won't call me, too, just surprised that they called him and not me. Usually I would've eaten several donuts to dull the stress. I've come a long way, baby.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:59 pm

congratulations on another no-s success. My worst time of the day is after dinner so I can rarely call it early.
Sorry to hear about the job. Life is such a mystery sometimes.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Day 9: SUCCESS

Lunch was catered.... There were trays of various brownies and cheesecake cut in little tiny triangles. Normally I would have had about4. I glanced at them as I walked past and didn't even consider it. I just thought a simple,' I don't eat brownies on Tuesdays 'and headed to the salad and wraps. I think I'm still in shock. I'll probably make something warm to drink later. I've noticed that I'd I go to bed hungry I have trouble falling asleep.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Day 9: SUCCESS

Lunch was catered.... There were trays of various brownies and cheesecake cut in little tiny triangles. Normally I would have had about4. I glanced at them as I walked past and didn't even consider it. I just thought a simple,' I don't eat brownies on Tuesdays 'and headed to the salad and wraps. I think I'm still in shock. I'll probably make something warm to drink later. I've noticed that I'd I go to bed hungry I have trouble falling asleep.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:46 am

Awesome job!! So much easier just having firm rules huh?!

Linda

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Hi MaggieMae! I was so happy to see your post on my check in and wanted to say hello. I thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts. It's great to have someone else new with me, and reading yours makes our first weeks seem completely normal. My S days seem kind of insane but reading yours makes me see exactly how this is all working. Good luck and so happy to have you here!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:03 pm

Day 10: SUCCESS

I have a calendar that I keep in my bathroom that I use to record my weight, or if I'm doing a diet I'll track my success/ failure. I looked through it last night and this is the 4th time this year that I've started no s. I've never had more than3 green days in a row. Here I am ,on day 10 and going strong. Something has finally clicked.
I got to my mom's to pick up my son after work and she said she wanted to order pizza. I love the freedom of no s. An unexpected dinner with family didn't bring on anxiety... How many calories do I have left today? How many carbs is in that? I just put food on my plate and enjoyed it. Also didn't have to worry about overeating, which I normally do with pizza. I feel good. I feel satisfied. I didn't miss out on social time with my family. Why isn't everyone doing this??

natj

Post by natj » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:27 am

MaggieMae,

I just took a moment and read through your thread. I have recently come off a strict calorie counting "diet" and while paired with No S, it triggered me to binge. So, I'm just back to regular No S, and while I have a couple of fails, I've just marked them and moved on. I know if you get to a red, you will be able to do the same. In the meantime, just keep on going!!! Good luck and looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:41 pm

MaggieMae wrote: I just put food on my plate and enjoyed it. Also didn't have to worry about overeating, which I normally do with pizza. I feel good. I feel satisfied.
Good for you, for eating a reasonable portion of a tricky food! May I ask how many pieces that wound up being? I have problems with pizza, as it can be easily stacked, or drapes off the plate... or can wind up not being much food if just casually laid on the plate...
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:15 am

Thanks to everyone who gives me words of encouragement! Sonya, the pizza yesterday was from pizza hut... I had 2 pieces. Their pizzas aren't really long like some places, so they didn't hang over. :D HOnestly, I also had room for 2 mild wings.

Day 11: SUCCESS

Today was hard won. I woke up early and thought, maybe I should just take a NWS day. My husband and I were both off work because our son had an observation appointment with the school system, a teacher and a occupational therapist, and a vision and hearing screening. He's already been diagnosed with autism, but to register in the special needs preschool, they insist on doing their own evaluations. Whatever. So, I thought with the stress and lack of routine that I would just take a day or make it red. BUT, I made it through each hour. One at a time. I made it to lunch, and thought, ok maybe I CAN do this. I just had dinner with my mom so I am definitely not going to be hungry this evening. I'm in shock. OH, and that job I hadn't heard about? I had a voicemail from the guy who was hired instead of me....his voicemail said, "We were just talking about you last week. I'm glad we're going to be working on the same team again. I look forward to seeing you." Ummmm, but no one has called from the company to offer me the job. Soooo, I guess I need to call him tomorrow and ask what is going on. THis means I have to quit my current job. I don't hate it, and I do enjoy working with the doctor and nurse that I work with now. BUT, the new job is flexible hours and pays A LOT more. I will feel guilty leaving them, but I have to do what's best for my family, right? Sorry to use this page to sound off. Maybe if I let it out I won't start stress eating. :)

milliem

Post by milliem » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:38 am

Well done on all your successes Maggie!

It's strange how easy it is to sometimes assume that a hard day must equal constant snacking, eating or choosing sugary or fatty foods. In most cases it is still possible to eat three decent meals and feel pretty satisfied!

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:52 am

It feels nice doesn't it? To know that the activities of the day don't control your food choices? You control your food choices.

Congratulations on a fine victory. 8)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:17 am

Day 12: SUCCESS

Tonight is the first time in two weeks that I'm pouting because I can't have sweets. I really wanted to go out with my family to get donuts, or cookies, or hot chocolate. I'm going to enjoy my S day tomorrow! I'm already daydreaming about what I'm going to eat. I'm starting to have those thoughts that I can't do this week after week. The fact that I'm holding strong and not eating a donut right is a miracle.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:03 am

DAY 13: S DAY

I am loving my S day. Bought some cookies that I really like and had some of those today. Had a get together with some friends and the host made two kinds of chili. Mmmmm. As I compile my list of things that are "s worthy", I'm realizing that my favorite sweets are chocolate free. Other than café mochas, hot chocolate, and choc milkshakes, I really don't prefer things with chocolate. Interesting.

milliem

Post by milliem » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:08 am

I like the idea of an 'S worthy' list :) Glad you enjoyed your S day!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:28 pm

Day 14: S day

Pretty sure I just ate my weight in queso and chips. My son had an " episode" this morning and they always leave me feeling defeated and depressed. He is afraid of other children. I mean terrified. We go to a small church and he is usually the only kid in the nursery. Today there was a little boy who is the same age as mine,and a one year old little boy. My son clung to me like his life depended on it. Five minutes in, he starts crying hysterically and yelling his distress call which is " babies cry", repeatedly, even though no one was crying. Took him outside and walked around and took forever to calm him. He shuts down and won't communicate. Ugh. I need a drink. And a long vacation on a deserted island.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:32 pm

That's really tough for you (and him) - today was an S day - so you can eat whatever you need and want.
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:28 am

DAY 15: SUCCESS

Habit must be kicking in. Went to a ladies meeting this evening and was offered cake...twice....and said no, thanks. Ha! Feeling good. My son also had another meltdown today at the zoo. Didn't turn to snacking.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:29 am

Day 16: SUCCESS

Just barely. I was starving all day. Had decided I was going to go get ice cream this evening, then I started not feeling well and took a nap. When I woke up the craving had passed.

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:07 pm

I often eat when I'm tired. Adequate sleep is definite necessity in my book. Have a nice day!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:50 pm

Thanks, Rawcookie and Gingerpie for your comments!

DAY 17: SUCCESS

Stressful day at work. I normally would've stopped and gotten a candy bar on the way home and probably some fast food, too , after such a day. This "diet" HAS to be saving me money! :lol: If I make it through the next 2 days, I will get to join the 21 day club! I am sooo close! Looking ahead to December, there are lots of events and get togethers due to the holidays. I have to decide which ones are worthy of taking a NWS day, and which ones I can attend and pass on the desserts. Not stressing about it. Maybe I'll make it through the holidays without gaining weight this year! This is exciting stuff. :D

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:10 am

Day 18: SUCCESS

almost had a sweet this evening, but I'm so close to the 21 day club!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:15 am

DAY 19: FAIL

Didn't fail because of a moment of weakness, loss of self control.... just felt like the perfect evening to bake cookies for my family. Tree is up, Christmas movies on tv, rough/stressful week finally over. I just wanted to bake cookies...and enjoy them with my guys. I'll get back on track on Monday... I hope. :D

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:55 am

Day 20: a day
Didn't feel as special since I had cookies last night. I'm starting to notice how bad I feel when I overeat. I'm aware of the excess,and it feels disgusting.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:06 pm

Haven't checked in for a few days. Today is success and the last two days as well. I feel lik this is habit for me now. Tomorrow is thanksgiving, so looking forward to an s day of good food and family. Happy thanksgiving to you all!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:22 pm

Happy thanksgiving to those of you who celebrate it! Today has been constant snacking. I feel like a stuffed cow. Can't wait for tomorrow so I can get back to sanity.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:30 am

Happy belated Thanksgiving to you, too!
Hope you have a nice N day today! Back to sanity is always a good thing!
-Sonya

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:19 pm

The only downside to developing the No S habit is that we no longer enjoy stuffing ourselves! :lol: I jest! But, it's true - in planning Xmas I know I'm really not going to want to eat much 'extra' foods or rich foods. I'm having difficulty planning enough food for my visiting family!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:18 pm

So yesterday( Friday) was a big red failure. My family is still in town so food and snacks are everywhere. Today is an s day. Starting to worry that I'm never going to get back on habit,but I hope I'm wrong. This is the way I used to eat every weekend. Maybe even most days. My mom just made peanut butter fudge. Help me !!!!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:01 am

MaggieMae wrote:My mom just made peanut butter fudge. Help me !!!!
Ooo, that's a tough one. Sounds like time for a little bit of damage control- try to pick a few favorite things and have a controlled snack, or decide what you want for desert and have a piece of whatever and really enjoy it, after a meal-?
It might be good to journal or make some notes to have a game plan for next year. I'm sure after the food is gone and company leaves, you'll be able to get back to normal. Think about what you would like the Christmas holidays to look like this year!
-Sonya

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:11 pm

How does your tummy feel? Do you really, really want it or do you just want it because it's there? Or, do you want it because it's nice to feel like a kid again with treats that Mom made. Or, do you want it because everyone else gets to have a piece so you want one too? Once you know why you want it, it becomes a lot easier to know how to deal with its presence. Reason 1? Put some in the freezer or go for a stroll - or do anything that removes you from its presence. Reason 2? Give Mom an unexpected hug and kiss and thank her for making it. (she'll probably never notice you didn't take a piece ) :wink: Reason 3? Life is unfair but you have a goal. Work towards your goal - you'll be glad you did tomorrow.

Good luck and have a happy day.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:55 am

Thanks Sonya and ginger pie, for the tips and words of wisdom! My tummy definitely did not want the treats most of the time. Now that company is gone, I can honestly say that today is the best s day I've had. I'm going to use your advice for the Christmas holidays. I can tell that resolve goes out the window when my brother and his family are in town. I was doing great until they were here. Maybe it was wanting to eat because they were eating? Tradition/ habit? I will try my best to make the next holiday less gluttonous. :)
My goal for December is definitely just going to be to not gain weight. There are sooooo many parties and get togethers planned. Going to try to eat my one plate and skip the desserts. I can have fun and enjoy the party without stuffing myself with sweets.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:33 am

SUCCESS

Finally, a successful n day! :)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:02 am

SUCCESS!

I had managed to lose 2 pounds at my last check, but after Thanksgiving weekend, I'm actually up one pound from my November 1st weigh in. Oh well. That's to be expected when you eat pie, banana pudding, cake, peanut fudge, etc. Hoping to NOT gain at my next weigh in on January 1st.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:33 pm

SUcCess

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:36 am

FAIL

Baking chocolate chip cookies again. Daggone it! Love baking this time of year.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:39 pm

I haven't been checking in on here this week, but Mon/Tues/Wed were green, Thursday was a pre=planned NWS day, and Friday was Green. Yay! Enjoying this S day. :lol:
Getting ready to go to a state park that we've never to before and do a little like hiking with our little guy. It's mid-December and in the 60's! Very odd for Ohio, but I'm not complaining.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Haven't been checking in here because I've been doing the challenges and keeping track over there. Few thoughts...I'm 2 months in , and yesterday I took an S day for the New Year holiday. I decided to actually not go wild and only had a piece of cake after dinner. Other than that, it was a typical N day for me. Today, I've had one sweet and no desire or plans to go overboard. I think my S days are finally on the right track. Just for kicks, I've tracked my calories the last few days to get an idea of what's going on. It's pretty surprising.... my N days are always under what my calorie goal was when I was doing My Fitness Pal. My S day yesterday was only a few hundred calories over, which I'm pretty sure I exercised off. So far today, it looks like I might even stay under that calorie goal. Pretty cool. Same results, without looking up and tracking every bite I put in my mouth.
Last thought, I have to fill out a long assessment every year for my health insurance so they can see how big a 'risk" I am. Some of the questions were things like "how many times a week do you eat desserts/snacks/chips/soda?" I thought that was so funny! Thanks to No S, I could honestly say rarely. Although soda is my downfall, and I haven't completely quit it, I am still drinking a lot less.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:06 am

Well, I bragged on myself too soon. After writing the above post, I ended up having a donut, mtn dew, McDonald's big Mac, fries, and chocolate shake. Ugh. Indigestion.

wahine

Post by wahine » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:27 am

Oh well, it was an s day...hope your tummy feels better!

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:07 pm

:lol: If that doesn't sound like a 'rebellion' feast, I don't know what does! Interesting isn't it?
The yukky feeling afterwards is helpful though - less likely to do it again in a hurry!
And yes, it was an S day! So no problem there!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:52 am

Just checking in. I'm still doing the January challenge thread,which I am loving. Since it has been too cold to walk, I have been trying different exercises. Walking inside/ step machine. Okay, but boring. Aerobic/ zumba videos.... Couldn't do more than ten minutes. Man, am I out of shape. So I went back to something I used to do every day years ago... yoga. I am loving it! My neck was sore a few days before I started. I think I am sleeping funny. Anyway, it's worsening now. I really hope I can continue the yoga because it feels so good. Also,I had a few days last week where I logged my calories. Why can't I let go? It's like going back to a bad relationship because you're afraid to be on your own. I have deleted and 're-installed my fitness pal app at least four times. I need to break up with mfp and move on. &#128515;

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:38 am

I was going to post earlier that I feel hopeless. NO way in the world I'll ever have 5 green days in a row. Somehow, I pulled off a green day today. Stress eating is going to be a major problem. I have 3 weeks of work left. I've decided to quit my job and stay home with our son. He is starting 25 hours a week of therapy for his autism and it's just going to make more sense for me to have a more flexible schedule. I've signed up per diem doing home IV infusions with a great company I've worked with in the past. I can pick up hours around my son's schedule, instead of being trapped at work for 10+ hours a day. Big stressor...my family still doesn't accept his diagnosis. Snide little comments like, " He's so sweet. I'D never want to change him." or "there's nothing wrong with that child". As if this isn't hard enough to deal with, I have to justify why I am getting help for my child. I want him to succeed in school and be able to have friends. Ugh. Why can't every one keep their opinions to themselves.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:25 am

Wow I'm so sorry you're having such a tough time. It's unbelievable to me that your family would be in such denial. Doctors do not just hand out these diagnosis' randomly. You are not trying to change him but simply help him. It's clear how much you care about him so try to ignore the ignorance and stay your course.

As for sticking to NoS, be kind to yourself & maybe just try for small improvements especially till you're free of your job. Maybe that'll take some stress off of you and you can focus on your eating a bit more.

Hang in there!

Linda

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:21 am

Hi MaggieMae-
Yay for the green day!
Sounds good, what you have decided for your son. It's kind of a shame that you're not getting the support that you should from your family. It may be that they just don't want/know how to handle the reality, so they are kind of stuck in denial and you are the one who has to make the best decisions for him. Anyway, you have my support for what it's worth, and I think you're wise to handle things the way you are, making sure he is able to get 25 hours a week of therapy. That will make a big difference in his future, as early intervention can be so helpful. All of the best to you!
-Sonya

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:28 pm

Thank you so much to both of you! Your words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. :D

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:00 am

I woke up with a new sense of " I CAN DO THIS!" . Piled my dinner plate pretty full, but not too bad. It included asparagus and half a banana so I'm not going to beat myself up. Made sure my husband hid all the leftover cookies. This is my last week in an office setting, so I'm hoping it will get easier without all the catered lunches and goodies in the breakroom.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:00 pm

Piling in the beginning is a must so no need to feel badly whatsoever. Yay for getting out of the office setting soon!

You got this!

Linda

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:24 pm

I'm finishing upmonth four on no S. Time to step it up. I've been allowing myself soda and sugary coffee drinks through the week,but now that I'm not working as much, I'm going to try to cut it out on N days. I'm going to move my S days.... S days start at dinner on Friday and end at dinner on Sunday( Sunday is a one plate, no sweets, no seconds meal). I'm going to do that for a while and see if it helps me stay green Monday through Thursday. I think knowing I have Friday night to look firward to will help me resist temptation.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:59 am

Using my check in today as a confessional. Today was just a wth day of pure gluttony. I think I am going to regroup and start fresh Monday. I can do this. Even if I never lose another pound, I WILL gain control of my appetite and not be enslaved to food. I am learning many valuable things by doing No S, even if I haven't developed the habit 100% yet. This is a journey; I just need to use the map instead of driving around in circles. :wink: BTW, I've noticed that when I post from my phone, it sometimes appears twice. Sorry! Not sure why it does that.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:45 am

You can do this even if you have to white knuckle it a few weeks (I did in the beginning). Unlike other diets which get harder, this will get easier. The emotional payoff of having peace with food will be so worth it and you might just lose some weight in the process.

You got this!

Linda

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:16 pm

I'm excited about starting over again tomorrow to try to get into the 21 day club. I watched some shovelglove moves yesterday and tried to learn them and I did them again this morning. I really enjoy it! I should be able to start walking more now that spring is here. My mod will be to include a controlled amount of soda and then hopefully in a few weeks, wean down to one a day, then eventually to when I eat out and s days only. Feeling hopeful. Starting a new job tomorrow, plus a few doctors appointments this week, including MRI of the brain. Hoping that stress eating doesn't derail me. If I make it through this week, I'll be doing very good indeed.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:07 am

Day 1: GREEN
Trying to get into the 21 day club. Did shovelglove and walked today. Feeling great! :D

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:55 am

Great! I hope all goes well with the new job - change is always a challenge, but you can use it to launch your 21 Day challenge too - like a big re-start.

With the soda etc, do you need to go cold turkey on them, or could you gradually reduce them whilst replacing with other less-harmful drinks? Just a thought.

Have a great day!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Day 2: GREEN

Thanks, Rawcookie! I don't think I could go cold turkey on the soda. Ihad one yesterday, and one today. I would love to have another right now, but I don't feel like it's worth marking a RED day. Work went great today. I stopped to get a salad on the way home, and locked my keys in my car! I knew I should have went home and ordered pizza! Haha :lol:

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:42 pm

DAY 3: GREEN

Three days in a row?! I can't believe I'm doing this. I'm really doing this!!!!! :D

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:42 am

DAY 4: GREEN

My son and my mom made cupcakes. My son is not good at eating cake with a fork...it's drops all over the place. So, I had to feed it to him. I put a piece of gum in my mouth so I wouldn't mindlessly try to sneak a bite. I wasn't even tempted. I feel the habit forming. It makes me feel like I have my act together. Haha.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:32 pm

MaggieMae wrote:I put a piece of gum in my mouth so I wouldn't mindlessly try to sneak a bite.
Great strategy! Good for you!
-Sonya

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:29 am

Day 5: GREEN :mrgreen:

DAY 6: S DAY!

DAY 7: S DAY!
I'm 1/3 way to the 21 day club! :lol:

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:46 am

DAY 8: GREEN

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:06 am

Doing great! &#128077;

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:29 am

Thanks! I appreciate that!

DAY 9: GREEN

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:57 pm

The green streak is over. :cry:
The scales said I had gained 6-7 pounds and it made me feel very down and defeated. There were 2 boxes of girl scout cookies in the house. WERE. R.I.P. cookies.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:59 pm

Well, these things do happen!
Today (or tomorrow)'s a new day.
-Sonya

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:59 pm

GREEN :mrgreen:
Well, my woe is me pity party didn't carry over to today. That's a huge victory. Normally, a bad day would've caused me to overeat the rest of the week and start again on Monday. I really thought my " diet head" would be gone by now. This is month four of no s and all those diethabits and negative self talk are still alive and well.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:51 am

GREEN :mrgreen:

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:38 pm

S day! woo hoo! It's sunny and going to be in the 70's today. can't wait to get outside and do some walking. I have been reading the board daily to get inspiration and just finished re-reading the book this morning. I keep a little planner/calendar in my bathroom that I use instead of HabitCal. There is something so satisfying about getting to use a green marker to draw a green smiley face at night before going to bed. I went grocery shopping last night(Friday). It was hard to shop for my S day treats knowing I couldn't go home and eat them! But I did it! I think things are finally starting to click in my brain. THis past week I exercised every day, cut out fast food almost completely, and cut down on my caloric beverages by at least half. Ive been on no s since November. Looking at my calendar, here are the results for this year:
January - 6 RED days
Feb - 10 RED days
March - 8 RED days
April - 1 RED day (of course, it's not over yet!)

Anyway, I can see why I haven't lost weigh. I'm starting to believe that it will come in time if I don't quit. I'm going on vacation the middle of May for an entire week. I'm going to try to enjoy food without completely going wild. We will be doing lots of walking/hiking so that will help.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:29 pm

I've thoroughly enjoyed my weekend. Friday night I bought ice cream, a mtn dew and my favorite tortilla chips and queso. I enjoyed them yesterday. Today, I had shared a giant chocolate chip cookie from Panera (LOVE those things) and we'll probably try a new Mexican restaurant this evening. Definitley ate more than a normal person should, but didn't eat constantly or eat until was uncomfortable. Looking forward to Monday ( can't believe I just said that!). I am feeling positive that it will all green days. Wonderful update that's not related to No S: my son's therapy is helping. He has major social anxiety and is afraid of other kids. You can imagine how that limits our life. Yesterday, we went to the park for an hour, and he had fun and didn't cry or want to leave. Last night, our neighbor brought over his son who is also 3 years old and they played catch and kicked ball and I pushed them by on the swingset. My son had so much fun! He was laughing spinning around...so happy. My heart is full. :)

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:47 am

Trying for the21 day club again.
DAY 1: GREEN :mrgreen:

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:05 pm

I thought for sure I was going to take a red day today. I couldn't sleep last night, so when it was almost 4am, I was starving. I went ahead and had "breakfast". Of course, now it's 11:00 and I'm hungry. I thought for sure I would end up having a snack. I had a cup of coffee and a ton of water, and you know what? I think I'm going to make it. Fortunately, my son eats lunch at 11:30 every day, so I only have 30 minutes to go. Right now, I'm still in that mindset of "there's no way I can do this for the rest of my life", but I believe that it will eventually become so second nature that it won't feel hard.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:03 pm

RED DAY
Daggone it! So much for the 21 day club. I've gotten to where I can resist most sweets. One of biggest temptations is a big, soft cookie. There just happens to be a restaurant with a drive through right next to the autistm center that has a big chocolate chip cookie. I caved today. Every Tuesday I'm going to be there and it's usually stressful, so that is something I'm going to have to deal with. My other temptations are Reese cup blizzard and milkshakes. The only non-sweet snack that tempts me are Mozzarella cheese sticks from Arby's. Haha. After I ate the cookie, I thought wth, might as well go get some cheese sticks but I didn't. Hey, that's a success, right?? :wink:

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:56 am

GREEN
I just changed my signature from weight oriented goals to behavior oriented goals. I have my meals planned out for tomorrow. I'm looking forward to eating three delicious meals. I bought a pie and I can't wait until Saturday to have a piece. I'll probably have it for breakfast on Saturday!

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:18 pm

Yesterday was RED. I did so good up until 8pm. I'm recognizing a problem. I always buy special treats for my S day on Thursday or Friday. I don't get up and out very early on Saturdays, and I don't want to drag my son around to pick up my junk food. Haha. I've noticed that I want these things in the house so that I can get up first thing SAturday morning and have them. Last Saturday, I got up and had chips and queso with Mtn Dew for breakfast and for a mid morning snack I had cookies and cream ice cream. Yeaaah. My favorite dessert in the whole world is pecan pie. I wanted to have it for breakfast but last night I couldn't stand the wait any longer and had two pieces. Of course I had blown the day so I went ahead and had two handfuls of Chewy Spree and a root beer. Went to bed feeling like a pig, of course. So, things I need to work on..... 1. not giving in on Friday night because my treats are in the house. 2. Not feeling like I have to get up and eat treats and junk for breakfast. They are to be treats added into a day of normal food and normal eating. Hmmmm. Just knowing that it's in the house will make me crazy. Maybe I'll make myself actually go out and get what I want on Saturday after lunch.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:35 pm

MaggieMae wrote:Maybe I'll make myself actually go out and get what I want on Saturday after lunch.
That sounds like a great strategy, at least for the short term!
-Sonya

jackn

Post by jackn » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:53 pm

Yes, keeping treats around...

The number of times I bought sweets 'for my son'.... and, sooner or later, gobbled down the lot.

You're thinking about it, you're aware, and you're on a path.
I think that's hopeful.

Goo luck. Maggiemae.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sun May 08, 2016 2:04 am

Thanks, Jackyn and Sonya! I haven't been doing so great this week. I have been reading and studying about fasting lately, and how good it can be for the body. I was trying 16:8 intermittent fasting this week. It was actually easier than I thought. Of course, even though I wasn't doing it for weight loss, the diet mentality kicked in. Since I hadn't eaten for 16 hours or more, I deserved to have a dessert after dinner, right? :D So, all red days this week. Plus, I have vacation in 2 weeks, so I have that thought of "why not just wait until after vacation to get back on track". My mom has realized in the past week that some health issues she was having is because of medication, so I've been looking into alternative ways to treat illness with diet/fasting. The problem is that I then get lost into thinking that I need to try these diets.... low carb, gluten free, paleo, etc. It can be maddening. Everyone on here keeps me motivated to not give up. I need to find a way to read about nutrition and health without letting it affect my No S determination.

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun May 08, 2016 4:13 am

Yes, I can see MagggieMae, what you mean.

You can see where it's at.

Good luck to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

Jen1974

Post by Jen1974 » Mon May 23, 2016 6:39 pm

Noticed I haven't seen you around as much. Everything going okay?

jackn

Post by jackn » Tue May 24, 2016 6:03 am

Good point, Jen.
I haven't noticed myself.

Hope all's well.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Thu May 26, 2016 1:20 am

Thank you jackn and Jen for asking! I came on here to getmotivation and seeing that you guys are concerned is the best! I am actually on vacation. I've been enjoying a lot of yummy food, trying to not go overboard. Next week I am going to rededicate myself to no s. May has been a complete food disaster. Haha. I'm noticing that I am having trouble crossing my legs and getting a double chinthat I can feel when I look down to read. We ate at a buffet last night and there were quite a few obese people there. A few that were 400+ pounds and it hit Me... That could really be me if I don't fix this problem now. I never thiught I'd be wearing size 18 or having a double chin, but here I am. At what point do i say enough is enough and deny myself a momentary pleasure of food? I'm so thankful for all of you guys on here. You have kept me from giving up many times.

jackn

Post by jackn » Thu May 26, 2016 7:17 pm

Well, you've stated the case, honestly and openly.
Thank you for sharing.

Welcome back.

Good luck to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Sat May 28, 2016 10:24 pm

Even though today is Saturday, I'm starting back on no s officially. Just finished dinner and hope to stay green until next Saturday. I have had the last two weeks of red/ s days so I am soooo ready to start right now. I don't normally record what I eat but I feel like doing it for some reason.
Breakfast:
Eggbeaters ( egg whites)
1/2 cinnamon raison bagel
Apple

Lunch:
Sandwich ( chicken breast, cheese romaine lettuce, and mayo)
Handful of chips
Peach
milk

Dinner:
Pork chop
Mashed potatoes
Broccoli
Cherries
Milk

I hit my goal of eating fruits/veggies at each meal. Trying to get a balance of the food groups.

jackn

Post by jackn » Sun May 29, 2016 11:37 am

You seem determined, MaggieMae.

Keep it up.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:27 am

Thanks, JackN! Doing great today. Feeling tempted this evening. I bought some soft chocolate chip cookies for my son. I hid them in the back of the pantry so I wouldn't see them every time I open the pantry door. I had to get some out for him earlier, and I was soooooo tempted. Now, I'm sitting here thinking I won't be able to do this. BUT, I'm going to take it one day at a time. Just worry about getting through this evening without snacking. I might have a ginger ale. That will help.

jackn

Post by jackn » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:50 am

Yes, MaggieMae.

The number of times I bought things 'for my son' and gobbled down the lot!...

And Brian Wosnik has indeed shown that people will help themselves to sweets more when the dish is within sight, and less when it's in a drawer.
Back of cupboard should help then.

Good luck to us all.
At meals only eat.
Only eat at meals.