The "I didn't gain back my weight" Club

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

The "I didn't gain back my weight" Club

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:40 pm

Well, even though this isn't as catchy as the now, not so exclusive 21 (Day) Club, created by Kevin Blanc, in honor of people here who successfully passed the 21 days on habit challenge, I think it's a worthwhile post at least...
Maybe it'll become a club too!
For those of you who wish to crow about something most diets don't hail as a success, but *should*, ie: maintaining your weight loss, here's the thread to do it on!

Perhaps you lost some weight, and are on a plateau, or just are happily maintaining...
Please tell us about it!
That's inspirational too!!!
Especially over the long haul, and I'm talking months and years...

Not gaining is something to be proud of!
Except for this past month, since I've been slacking a bit and gained back about four pounds, give or take, I have maintained a loss of about 25 lbs over 21 months here! :mrgreen:

Please chime in others who have been around a bit, perhaps who haven't posted here for some time, and new folks too!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hope this club becomes a NoS classic!
What happened to the one I proposed in the past???
Remember the
"My Pants Fell Down" club! LOL...
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

operababe

Post by operababe » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:57 pm

Deb, this is a fab idea! Way to go! I can't claim any membership status yet, but when I start to plateau, I will be here!!! It's really important that we see maintaining weight as a success. Too many people get caught up in that instant gratification mentality, if it doesn't happen in 3 months (as in your friend), then it's not worth doing. That's not where No S will take us, thank goodness!

LOL, "My pants fell down" club! I hope to be a member of that club soon.
It's time to make it beautiful.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:40 pm

Well, I have to say I was extremely happy to have seen yesterday when I randomly weighed in that I did not gain back weight despite heavily half-essing! I still weighed 137 lbs which was a miracle. With continued effort I should be able to start inching that number down, but hey, maintaining is a HUGE success.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:33 pm

Great idea, Deb. Thanks for starting the discussion.

I can log in here, too. I've been stable for 4? 5? years now on nos/shoveglove/urbanranger.

Reinhard

Big Phil

Maintaining

Post by Big Phil » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:59 am

I'm gonna log myself in here too. Next month I will be coming up to 1 year on No-S so I will not spoil that and report facts and figures on how much I have lost here, but I will say I have lost. Lost 4 kg (~10lb) in the first month or so, maintained for a while then lost more recently, which is great.
The even better thing though is that I do fit into the "My pants fell down!" club. Even when my weight wasn't going down (gaining muscle from Shovelglove) my waist and hips were, so I knew I was losing fat.
There have been a few discussions on this board about weigh-in frequency and how the numbers jump about. I think waist measurement is the answer, it is a better alternative to weighing yourself. The numbers don't jump about as much due to hydration status and your waist measurement is a much better indicator of your health than your weight. There is a lot of scientific evidence linking waist circumference to heart attack etc.
A lot of professional footballers and athletes are obese by BMI due to muscle, but you can tell from their shape (i.e. waist) that they are not fat. Plus, waist measurement takes alot of the silly worry out. The scale says you are 3 pounds heavier today, but the pants you're wearing, that used to be tight, are loose. Who are you going to believe! My two cents worth anyway.
Great post Deb!
See Ya,

Phil.

navin

Post by navin » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:58 am

I've lost around 27 lbs total over the couse of 2-1/2 years. I've been relatively stable for a few months now, though I really could stand to lose about 10-15 lbs more. But clearly it is not coming back, so even if I stay here, I'm light years ahead of where I was back in the Dark Ages before the knowledge of No-S. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:35 am

Yay!!!
Great responses folks!!!
I'm so happy you all wrote :)
Glad you liked it Rein!
I kind of figured you would, since maintaining weight loss is really the best feature of being with NoS (along with S days! LOL..)

Phil, I'm in total agreement about the measuring thing... I've been doing that since day one...

I'm glad you are also in the My Pants Fell Down Club too!!! :wink:

So, I guess when people feel like making an announcement, like Cynthia did, that they were happy that they didn't gain, or just anytime they like, this would be the place :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:38 pm

I seem to be stuck at about 93kg at the moment.

But it's well down on where I started!

Trying to get more exercise.

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:57 pm

Me too, stuck for a little while. And I've been losing more slowly this year. But I have to factor an extended birthday, two SF conventions and two weeks of holidays into all that :)

Kathleen.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:53 am

I seem to be stuck at about 93kg at the moment.

But it's well down on where I started!
That's really what is important to focus on, to keep up your motivation!!!
Yay M!!!
Me too, stuck for a little while. And I've been losing more slowly this year. But I have to factor an extended birthday, two SF conventions and two weeks of holidays into all that
Extended birthdays, conventions, and holidays!!!
And *no gaining back*???
Well congratulations Kathleen!!!

Keep adding posts people!
The more you do, the more likely you will continue to feel good, rather than bummed! I prefer the former :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

pangelsue

Post by pangelsue » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:30 am

Great idea, Deb! I think a lot of us have been plateauing lately. Nice to know we are all hanging in there and maintaining. Still stuck at 7-8 and was kind of bumming about it but you are so right. At least I am not gaining. We are all so anxious for those numbers to go down that we forget to be grateful they aren't going up.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:36 pm

I was "stuck" at about 12 lbs down, for the first 7 months, and I remember the frustration, but I really would have been crushed if I gained it back, and I didn't...
By the end of my first year I made it to being down, something like 17-20 lbs!
And,,,,
I've really been a "half essed" NoS'ser for 75% of the journey, so that's pretty good!
Impatience should probably be one of the deadly sins.
It frustrates, and wastes our limited energy!
Patience rocks!

Good to hear from you Sue!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:15 pm

I've kept off the same ammount for oh, three months or so. I'm glad to hear that plateaus do end eventually.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

Sandy

Post by Sandy » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:51 pm

Good timing on this post. I was beginning to feel like I would never drop another pound. I started last September and dropped about 15 lbs. I have not dropped anything since December.........how frustrating. Just recently I have started getting discouraged and thinking I should do weight watchers which only discourages me fruther and I eat.

My husband has been trying to get me to stay on NOS because he has never seen me more at peace with food. His favorite thing to say to me "but you feel good, don't you and you fit into your clothes" I really only have about 10 lbs more to lose. After reading this post I will most definately stay on course with NOS. I eat healthy and have only been indulging during the week for the past two weeks, using the old mentality of "I will start a new diet tomorrow", how stupid I have been - no more!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:54 pm

Hi Sandy and Hunter!
So good to read your posts :)

Sandy!!!
What I wouldn't do to be ten pounds away from my goal!!!!
I have about forty to go, and by the doctors standards, more like fifty...
You lucky woman!

Keep the faith and your husband is right!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:45 am

Hi Deb.

Good idea. I passed my one year mark in No S probably a few weeks ago. I don't know the exact date. I have been 134 since about December so I can totally relate to this subject. The one thing that does not get me down though is that I have been exercising consistently since last fall. So even though my weight is the same I am much firmer then I was a year ago.

I think most people are looking for an instant fix even when they come here. I thought for sure that when I quit eating so much sugar that the weight would just melt off. But, no, it has been slow and really that is okay. I mean, if you talk 12 months and calculate how many "S" days there are...well you can see that cutting down on the S's really makes a difference over time.

D.

SilentButDeftly

Don't blame me, it was all Deb's idea...

Post by SilentButDeftly » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:55 pm

So Deb suggested I post here after posting in my thread all by my lonesome...

Long story short, after 7 months of no-S-ing I am still keeping the weight off. I'd managed to lose about 25 pounds in the first 5 months and since then I've dropped down another 5 (and then bouncing back up & down again) but I haven't bounded back up the scale since. Additionally, I've been hitting the gym about 4 or 5 times a week, so between the weights and cardio I've been doing, I've definitely put on some muscle and lost more of the fat -- I dropped another pants size and another shirt size. I've met with a physical trainer who reminded me that frequently when people start to work out they'll gain weight at first -- muscle weighs much more than fat does, so even if you're not seeing pounds disappear, you may see the inches disappear first!

Cheers!
"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean, S-M-A-R-T! I am so smart!"