What's your No S?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jibaholic

What's your No S?

Post by Jibaholic » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Everyone does No S a little bit different and I thought it would be helpful to see how other people do theirs. I'll start.
  • Mods: none (vanilla No S)
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: chicken and legumes (protein and fiber) on N days as part of my breakfast and lunch
  • Alcohol: allowed at non-mealtimes (I'm not much of a drinker so this isn't a problem)
  • Coffee: allowed at non-mealtimes if there is no sugar
  • Diet soda: S food
  • Other Notes 1: allowed a snack if I exercise after work but before dinner.
  • Other Notes 2: No surfing at work, before noon
Last edited by Jibaholic on Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jibaholic

Post by Jibaholic » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:18 pm

Here's a template to make it easier to post replies. Just copy and paste into your reply and fill in your answers at the end of each line.

[list]
[*][b]Mods:[/b]
[*][b]Intelligent Dietary Defaults:[/b]
[*][b]Alcohol:[/b]
[*][b]Coffee:[/b]
[*][b]Diet soda:[/b]
[*][b]Other Notes:[/b]
[/list]
Last edited by Jibaholic on Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:24 pm

This is fun. Thanks for the template:
  • Mods: S days start Friday night until Sunday night
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: breakfast: porridge with fruit or yoghurt with fruit (seasonally)
  • Alcohol: allowed. I tend to only drink wine on N days and barely more than one large glass but I have no rule
  • Coffee: on and off. I drink it in stressful weeks and don't otherwise. I try to limit it/give it up.
  • Diet soda: Gave it up completely from being a major addict (I was practically raised on Diet Coke and my dentist says that's why my teeth are ruined)
  • Other Notes: I'm in my 3rd year now and went from overweight to normal weight. I still do less exercise than I'd like and have seasons of pretty heavy S days and seasons of calm ones. I'm ok with that.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Amy C.

Post by Amy C. » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm

• Mods: None yet. Am working on completing the third week. I eat oatmeal at breakfast and soups at lunch, so I use a virtual plate a bit. I have unintentionally been stretching the fence (a bite before dinner) or one when cleaning up or maybe another bite after I finish. Not good.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Trying for lots of veggies at lunch and dinner, plus three servings of fruit a day and a tiny bit of protein at each meal. Grains are all whole, with virtually no bread.
  • Alcohol: None
  • Coffee: Lots of it with unsweetened almond milk
  • Diet soda: none
  • Other Notes: I exercise a fair amount and try to get 10,000 steps in a day

aspencer27

Post by aspencer27 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:19 pm

• Mods: Vanilla NoS, but sometimes on NWS days I'll just do an S event instead of a whole day (like our monthly birthday cupcakes at work)
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Hm... I try to order salads most days of the week for lunch. I've also cleaned up my breakfast a bit - lots of fruit, with either eggs, plain greek yogurt or kashi grain cereal. Other than that I haven't been limiting at all! That will likely be my focus after I get both S Days under control.
  • Alcohol: No limits. I typically only drink on weekends, and I've been trying to limit a bit when I go out on weeknights, but I'm not overly concerned about it.
  • Coffee: No limits. I don't drink a lot of coffee anyways. Well, until they installed an iced coffee machine at work... I'll usually have at most one a day during the week.
  • Diet soda: None - not limited, but I've never really drank any.
  • Other Notes: I would like to ultimately get to more of an intuitive eating style - I used to have that down a couple years ago, but stress eating gets me! My next focus is mindful eating - especially on S Days when I can get a bit out of control (usually only on Sundays).

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 pm

• Mods: I start my weekends on Friday with dinner. I aim for the half plate of veggies for most meals and try to do vegetarian before 6, even on weekends.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Homemade veggie soups in the winter, veggies in the summer for lunch. Breakfast is a whey protein smoothie w/ fruit.
  • Alcohol: Wine.
  • Coffee: With cream.
  • Diet soda: No, but I do flavored (not artificially sweetened) seltzer in the summer.
  • Other Notes: I do weights 2x a week. I've been running once or twice a week this summer and have been enjoying that a lot. I try to get a longer, fun, outdoor activity in on the weekends, i.e. long kayak paddle or walk.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:09 am

Cool idea.
  • Mods: None.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Breakfast oats with milk and fruit.
  • Alcohol: 2 - 3 nights a week 1 - 3 glasses wine. Now less as I'm trying to get pregnant.
  • Coffee: Recently quit. Previously 1 - 3 cups with a dash of milk only.
  • Diet soda: Never. Full sugar soda on S days every so often.
  • Other Notes: Quick (20 min) walk with my dog every morning, cycle to work 3 days a week, lift weights at the gym 1 hr per week. My "fence around the law" means that on N days I'm very strict about what is "sweets", e.g. I don't eat honey or jam, I won't eat or drink anything that has artificial sweeteners, or is called "pudding" or "muffin", and on N days I don't drink hot chocolate, mochas or chai, or juice unless I squeezed the orange myself.

germanherman

Post by germanherman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:05 am

• Mods: None. But eating really slow
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Bread, Fruits, Eggs, Cheese, Veggies
  • Alcohol: No, thank you
  • Coffee: Very seldom
  • Diet soda: No, i rather drink "real" soda on S-Days
  • Exercise: "14 Minutes", "Fat or Fuel", "Have fun"
  • Finances: "The daily euro"
  • Life: Moderation in everything as a habbit
Spend over 450 Dollar on some Systems, Gadgets and courses = Zero Results

Spend 15 Bucks for a Shovelglove + NoS-Diet= ;)

German by nature

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:23 pm

• Mods: None at the moment. I know that floating S days do not work for me. I like invoking the "Sometimes" clause.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Veggie burgers, salad, soup.
  • Alcohol: Red wine, German beer, cognac... but not often. And limited to one drink, maybe more on New Year's Eve or at a special birthday party.
  • Coffee: Trying to limit it to 3 days per week, spread out, so I don't get hooked again.
  • Diet soda: No access where I live now, but I don't limit them if they're available. From an OA program, I know a LOT of people who have lost a LOT of weight, drinking a LOT of diet soda!
  • Other Notes: When I'm losing weight on NoS, it's often when instead of "3 meals, no snacks", I tell myself "3 snacks, no meals". That's a reminder that in order to lose weight, I need to eat smaller or lighter meals than I would ordinarily choose, like a salad, or a bowl of chili with an oat square, or something similar. NoS has its own built in calorie cycling system.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

gwenkkelly

Post by gwenkkelly » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:19 pm

• Mods: None—first time in my life I've chosen vanilla anything, I think!
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and some kind of starch for breakfast (often homemade muffins); cheese and whole-grain crackers alongside soup or salad for lunch
  • Alcohol: Personal glass ceiling of one drink on all days; otherwise allowed on N-days
  • Coffee: Decaf only; allowed on N-days with or without cream and/or sugar
  • Diet soda: I avoid it for other reasons, but will drink reasonable amounts of seltzer mixed with a small amount of juice or other sweetened beverage (like lemonade) on N-days
  • Other Notes: I am gluten intolerant

ksbrowne

Post by ksbrowne » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:59 pm

• Mods:One small serving of something sweet after dinner. Right now it's a couple of bites of fat-free, chocolate ice cream.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults:Frosted mini-wheats for breakfast every day
  • Alcohol: Very little. Don't like it.
  • Coffee: One mug a day.
  • Diet soda: A few sips in the evening when I want a taste of something sweet
  • Other Notes:

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:33 pm

• Mods: My S days have always been Friday and Sunday because that lined up the best with our normal weekly schedule from the very beginning.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Usually egg+veggies+toast and variations on that theme--fills in for any meal (I work out of my home).
  • Alcohol: I enjoy a half-glass of wine with most dinners.
  • Coffee: Two full cups of Java---one in the am, one after lunch (our main meal)
  • Diet soda: Very occasionally, perhaps twice a month.
  • Other Notes: I stick pretty closely with vanilla NoS in terms of Nday meals (everything but sweets) which means I have few other rules. For example, pre-NoS, I wouldn't drink any OJ because everybody knows "Don't drink your calories." Turns out, I *really* enjoy a small glass (4oz) of juice with my breakfasts. Makes me feel great. So, I've jettisoned all those diet "rules" and now enjoy what I like, in moderation, of course. I also try to make double the amount of veggies with a meal so I always have some for a future meal (and Int. Def. meals). Lastly, in the spirit of really enjoying my meals, I'm focusing on eating slowly and savoring every bite, at least for my main meal. Definitely increased satisfaction when I do!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Marianna

Post by Marianna » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:26 pm

• Mods:unsweetened sweets every day: stevia sweetened chocolate for dessert. Otherwise I feel deprived and undo my hard work.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: timing: breakfast at 10, lunch at 2 and dinner at 7--if I delay eating I can do NoS easily
  • Alcohol: only on weekends and only at parties
  • Coffee: every morning
  • Diet soda: yes although I'd like to quit
  • Other Notes: I travel a lot for business and have much more difficulty making this work when away from home. Still working on habit building.
___

catservant

Post by catservant » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:50 am

Mods:1 small sweet per day, but no S days
Intelligent Dietary Defaults:Steel cut oats with fruit, nuts and yogurt
Alcohol: A glass of wine about 4 times per year
Coffee: Addict
Diet soda: Not soda, but flavored waters
Other Notes: For me, 1 small sweet per day (100 calories or less) works better than taking 2 S days every week. I am content and satisfied with the small sweet, and I don't undo any progress I've made all week on the weekend.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:18 pm

• Mods: Vanilla - any mods lead to my downfall
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Breakfast - Weetbix / Pronutro & Lunch - Toast with Scrambled Eggs / PButter with mashed Banana
  • Alcohol: Seldom - usually no more than 2 drinks unless away camping - I am a spirit drinker, I don't to wine or beer
  • Coffee: I try to limit it but that tends to make the snacking a problem so for right now will keep my coffee habit.
  • Diet soda: Nope - I don't drink any soda - don't like how bloated I feel if I do
  • Other Notes: Would like to get more exercise into my week but I try for 3 days in a week - does not have to be an official work out, can just be a vigorous housework chore.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Here's my .02...
  • Mods: My S days runs from Friday at 6pm to Sunday at 6pm
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: None
  • Alcohol: glass of tasty wine after work
  • Coffee: black coffee every day
  • Diet soda: none
  • Other Notes: I usually do a 24 hr day of fasting 1 or 2X a week
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

Sunflowersandsmiles

Post by Sunflowersandsmiles » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:56 pm

• Mods: my no s days are from Friday night after dinner to Sunday night
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: vaguely Paleo
  • Alcohol: not during the week and a glass at weekends ( I am breastfeeding)
  • Coffee: one a day and then decaf
  • Diet soda: on S days
  • Other Notes: I am trying to shift a few baby lbs but am not doing excessive dieting because I am still breastfeeding my little man.

feedthehunger

Post by feedthehunger » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:47 pm

I'm doing the vanilla version with one small modification: instead of milk as an emergency filler (for example when I teach a class that gets me home at 8:30 p.m.), I use a whey protein shake.
Started my No S Lifestyle November 7, 2014

Common Sense M

Post by Common Sense M » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:55 am

Mods: I *can* have dessert at lunch and dinner, but within simple parameters that keep me under 25g per day (WHO recommendation). Snacking is off the table, even on S days.
Intelligent Dietary Defaults: homecooked everything
Alcohol: no
Coffee: no
Diet soda: no
Other Notes: The dessert mod seems to work much better for me. I find myself actually opting out of dessert regularly since I know that I can have it at the next meal. Sweets have lost a lot of their pull.
Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space lies our freedom and our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our happiness.â€

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:07 am

Nice idea Jibaholic, I used to do the no web surfing at work before lunch thing, really should get into that! (I used to call it "morning luddite" even though technically I'd be using a computer etc. for work, just not doing anything other than work related tasks).

Mine has varied a lot over the years, but here is what works best for me:
  • Mods: Permitted snacks or 4 meals per day. I've been a No S er for 7 years, but rarely can do just 3 meals.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Usually cook everything from scratch, rarely or never buy sweets or snack foods - if they're not in the house the temptation to eat them just isn't there. My grandma (who had lived through post world war 2 rationing) was able to have a large bar of cadbury's chocolate as a permanent feature on her coffee table and yet only had 1-2 squares of the chocolate every afternoon - when I was a kid, seeing that chocolate there all the time and not eating it was torture! I've always thought I'll be completely at peace with food the day I can have a bar of chocolate in the house with no temptation to eat it all at once.
  • Alcohol: None for me (don't like the taste).
  • Coffee: I did have a serious coffee addition, but I'm pregnant at the moment so have cut right down to just 1 cup a day - it forces me to focus on really good quality coffee and to make the most of it.
  • Diet soda: I hate soda in all its forms, so not an issue for me :)
  • Other Notes: Intuitive S days - this is not something I do always, but I often miss out on weekend S events so I can "save them up" for random S appropriate occasions, like coffee with a friend, or if someone has made a cake. It allows for something spontaneous to come up on a weekday and instead of saying "I can't have cake because it's a Wednesday" I'll either say "I haven't had a treat for a while so I'll have some cake" or "I had some sweets at the weekend so will give it a miss this time". That said, I know that vanilla No S is the plan that works best, it's just nice to give yourself some flexibility sometimes (instead of going off the plan entirely).
Just thought I'd add another thing - No S has really taught me to focus on quality rather than quantity, as well as taste. I won't eat food I don't enjoy or drink bad coffee - those eating/drinking moments are to be savoured and can't be wasted on foods/drinks that aren't worthy :)

I have a Portuguese friend who was telling me about his workday lunch policy - he'll only have lunch in a proper restaurant or cafe, at a table, preferably with company and a good glass of wine or he'll just not eat until dinner and work straight through the day. When I told him most people I know in the UK eat a sandwich at their desks he said that was one of the saddest things he'd ever heard LOL

shelly_k

Post by shelly_k » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:25 pm

This is only my third week doing noS. So here are mine, for whatever they are worth!

Mods: Vanilla noS for me. Especially since I'm still learning. My S days are Saturday and Sunday.
Intelligent Dietary Defaults: When I'm eating at home, I include a fruit and veggie with lunch and dinner as part of my plate. For breakfast, I made oatmeal with milk, blueberries, and almonds. Or I have greek yogurt and bacon.
Alcohol: yes, but rarely. Maybe a beer once a month. Only on S days.
Coffee: yes, coffee with cream and a bit of honey with my breakfast. Otherwise, only a splash of cream when between meals or black. 3 cups per day.
Diet soda: Yuck. No. I don't like soda, but I especially hate diet soda!
Other Notes: I am very strict on N days. No snacks, not even a bite. For sweets it is only a bit of honey in my coffee with a meal and maple syrup for sweetener if I'm having oatmeal. Otherwise, nothing that might be considered kind of sweet like a muffin or something. I need to be strict as I love sweets. This is my third week but so far have not failed on N days. However, since it is December, I have had more than the usual S days with Christmas and Christmas Eve Day and now New Years this week. :)
Shelly

Age 40
Started Dec 6, 2014
Start Weight: 173.8
Start BMI: 26.3
Goal Weight: 155
Vanilla NoS

Start: 173.8
Week 1: 172.8
Week 2: 172.8
Week 3: 170.6

Quick Bites

Post by Quick Bites » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:55 pm

Mods: 4 meals (2 small plus 2 normal size plates) a day, 7 days a week
Intelligent Dietary Defaults: fruit, eggs and toast for breakfast
Alcohol:none accept for holidays maybe a sip
Coffee: black plus an occasional soy latte
Diet soda: no soda at all gave it up years ago
Other Notes: I do not take S days, but allow small sweet each day after a meal, and one unsweetened soy latte OR 100% juice each day.
____

Sarah-lara

Post by Sarah-lara » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:08 pm

• Mods: Very newly restarting and mostly focusing on no-snacks while I finish off the sweets in the house in a reasonable manner. Probably will be Vanilla No-S soon.
    This week I was roped into making dozens of desserts for two different office holiday parties and am very proud I didn't make a buffet out of it. Progress!
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: long-term strict vegan for animal and environmental welfare reasons. It used to be enough (for my weight) just to be vegan but there are so many good recipes, restaurants, and products available that it doesn't really change the life of a binge eater one way or the other now. Hate being a fat vegan as those are statistically very rare and I certainly stick out at events, but then again you should have seen me before hand! I was the weight I am now back in elementary school. My family was an early adopter of the obesity crisis, I'm sorry to say. It really colors your whole life in a bad way.
  • Alcohol: not too, too often because it just makes me snacky (Snacky was in fact the eighth dwarf but he didn't appear in the movie because he stayed in the pantry the whole time.)
  • Coffee: one cup of a snobby fair-trade and shade-grown organic decaf/day. I don't build up a tolerance to caffeine so that an occasional Excedrin will still work if I get a migraine
  • Diet soda: Used to drink a caffeine-free Zevia cola but they changed the formula recently and now it's wholly undrinkable. I stocked up on the old formula but am almost out. boo. sad.
  • Other Notes: I have to pass up things like Insanity these days but I walk the majority of my errands and get 10K steps or more most days plus a weights workout 2X/week. Every other year or so I train for and walk an ultra-marathon just to stay on my toes. If you're interested in seeing all of Washington, DC sometime, do the usfreedomwalk.org. The whole trail is 76K and you meet people from all over. By the way, I think Russia is breeding Urban Ranger super soldiers by the way their unit blew past me and my husband last time we did it.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:18 pm

• Mods: A very small inconsistent one. In general, unless it's a Traditional Feast Day (like today!) I avoid snacking on S days and have dessert with a meal instead. And if I have the occasional snack, I don't sweat it. So, less a mod and more a habit that has evolved, maybe?
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Oatmeal for breakfast, bento for lunch.
  • Alcohol: I'm on the wagon until I swim a marathon next summer. That's my excuse, anyway. I think two martinis a day are just too much. I could have cut it down to one, but I seem to keep making excuses for myself. So, I may just stop altogether. But certainly none til June.
  • Coffee: Sweet baby Jesus, yes! Lots! Love it!
  • Diet soda: Sometimes. I like a diet coke every now and then, but while I like carbonated water, I like flavored seltzer with no sweetners at all a great deal better.
  • Other Notes: I like comfort rituals and really don't want to drink coffee at night, so I'm usually up for a cup of herbal tea in the evenings. Celestial Seasonings makes some pretty tasty ones. I'm on a Raspberry Zinger kick at the moment. It's kind of a wine substitute and I'm finding myself looking forward to my evening mug of tea as much as the wine or martini, so I think that for me, it's a nice little end of day ritual. Also, I exercise a lot. Try to swim five miles a week, and I get in walks. It's Thanksgiving and since my son is up for a visit and the weather is pretty nice, we'll likely take a walk on a rail trail close by after dinner.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

HappyHiker

Post by HappyHiker » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:15 pm

• Mods: None
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Optimized Oatmeal and Optimized Ramen (replace seasoning packet with miso paste, add pre-cut veggies, green onions, peanuts, sriracha, soy sauce and a lime squeeze). Don't eat meat for ethical reasons, avoid dairy and eggs at home for same but will eat them in company (e.g. potlucks or dinner invites).
  • Alcohol: Was trying glass ceiling, but have decided on 30 days of abstinence to get tolerance down before continuing with it.
  • Coffee: 2 cups in the morning
  • Diet soda: Rarely. Tastes terrible. Have real soda on S days and drink gallons of iced tea on N days.
  • Other Notes: Doing 14 Minutes of Anything in the morning. Not up to shovel glove every day, but do it a couple of times a week. Also Indo Board.

maniuni

Post by maniuni » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 am

• Mods: 7-inch plates. I sometimes stuff them a bit but I think it's still less food than a normal plate.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Homemade everything including sweets. Protein, veggies and starch - each 1/3 of the plate.
  • Alcohol: Sometimes but I can't drink much so it's not a problem.
  • Coffee: None. Only herbal teas.
  • Diet soda: Don't like it.
  • Other Notes: Fitness two times a week and pilates once a week. Also a lot of walking, at least an hour and a half a day.

Selcazare

Post by Selcazare » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:26 pm

• Mods: I don't eat snacks or seconds even on S days because sweets are my one true desire so the other rules help keep me in check. I also virtually plate because I hate my food to touch if it's not meant to do so.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Vaguely low-carb paleo for two out of my three daily meals and I eat green veg with every meal, including breakfast.
  • Alcohol: Only with friends and family so approximately 6-7 drinks per year.
  • Coffee: 1 16-oz mug with cream and sugar in the morning.
  • Diet soda: Nope. I love regular soda but it destroys me so no soda at all now.
  • Other Notes: My husband has a strict diet due to food allergies so I try to eat what I cook up for him so that keeps my diet low in gluten, dairy, and nightshades.
Last edited by Selcazare on Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:05 am

Mods:None. I try to make rules for S days but they never stick.
Intelligent Dietary Defaults:I eat about 90% vegan but this is a recent development. I eat pretty low-carb too because DH is pre-diabetic. I usually have a smoothie for breakfast.
Alcohol:Yes. 1-2 glasses of wine many nights. Hard alcohol on weekends if we go out.
Coffee:Yep! Usually a skinny mocha 1/day plus coffee w/ almond milk.
Diet soda:Maybe once a week. Not my thing but I like sparkling ice and bai5 now and then.
Other Notes: I walk a few times a week & have started doing some Pilates at home. Loving the Pilates.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Merry

Post by Merry » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:08 am

• Mods: My S days are Friday and Sunday
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: fruit/green smoothies for breakfast
  • Alcohol: no
  • Coffee: sometimes
  • Diet soda: rarely
  • Other Notes: Mainly focusing on developing solid N-day habits for now!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

ceo418

Post by ceo418 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:42 pm

Mods: None right now. Have tried a couple in the past, such as making the S-days be Friday night to Sunday night, but Vanilla is best for me right now.
Intelligent dietary defaults: mostly cereal and a banana for breakfast. Trying to find one for work, maybe a sandwich with veggies or fruit.
Alcohol: a few glasses of wine per month, when I do have it I try to limit it to one glass per day.
Coffee: I've never had coffee. I drink a variety of flavored teas throughout the day.
Soda: diet soda, yes. I am usually successful at keeping it at one per day, some days I don't have it at all.
Other notes: I usually exercise 30-40 minutes most days. My preferred forms are Leslie Sansone walk aerobics videos, walking around the parking lot at work on my breaks, and going for walks at a park.

noni

Post by noni » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:50 pm

MODS: none
INTELLIGENT DIETARY DEFAULTS: Small breakfast (when I eat it), anything goes. Lunch is usually dinner leftovers. Dinners are home cooked.
ALCOHOL: Wine on special occasions when my brother brings it.
COFFEE: 1 cup every morning with a bit of cream. Big black-tea drinker, no sugar or milk.
DIET SODA: Place Mentos in it to entertain grandchildren.
OTHER NOTES: Resumed Classical Stretch exercises most days to keep this otherwise 5'2" body from shrinking further. Also, and happily, my S-Days have finally calmed down quite a bit.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:47 pm

Love this thread (and the template) -- thanks, Jibaholic!
  • Mods: vanilla no-s. over the years I experimented with a few mods, my favorite being "no solitary snacking" but even that I haven't found necessary so I stopped.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: still doing optimized oatmeal, have downsized default bowl size somewhat to get a leg up on being 40+, experimenting with other default plate and bowl sizes. Half/half Fries AND salad when confronted with the option in a restaurant and I know I'm not going to be able to completely refrain -- surprised how many restaurants accommodate this request.
  • Alcohol: 2 drink daily glass ceiling, experimenting with overlaying monthly drink count goals.
  • Coffee: Yes, a lot. But almost always black.
  • Diet soda: Very rare. When I'm at the movies or an event and it's thrust in front of me.
  • Other Notes: still devoutly doing urban ranger and shovelglove. I try to run since I discovered I actually enjoy it but this is irregular and whenever I get ambitious my IT band flares up and then I have to lay low for a month plus.

smokeAndMirrors

My own customisation

Post by smokeAndMirrors » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:19 pm

I have been quite determined to get at least 5 portions of fruit and veg every day, and it's not always easy with 3 plates of food even given that I eat a mostly vegetarian diet. So I do tend to eat fruit at times I might otherwise in pre-diet days have gone for crisps / popcorn / whatever I can find.

The killer time is about 9:30pm when the kids have gone to bed and we sit down to watch TV. Brain wants snackies! Body gets grapes / clementine / mango. Gotta be better than snacky crap.

I know that calorie counting is frowned upon. I do it though! It's mainly to ensure I'm in the ballpark. After all, a small plateful of highly calorific food is doing more damage than a large plate of salad. I'm not too concerned if I go a bit over though, statistically I am under as many times as I exceed so it evens out.

I've lost about 12kg in just over a year. Pretty damn pleased with that.
"She told me to help myself and I just couldn't help myself..."

ktkitten417

My mods

Post by ktkitten417 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Mods: Allowed one small sweet at lunch and/or dinner, like a Kind bar at lunch and/or 2 squares of high quality dark chocolate with dinner. These sweets must fit on my one plate. Experimenting with using a smaller plate for dinner (like a salad plate) because with some foods I still tend to have trouble with portion sizes. I tend to stick with with no snacking or seconds on my S days also.
Intelligent Dietary Defaults: Avoid bread/pasta/rice where possible, just because it makes me feel better and encourages me to eat more vegetables to fill up.
Alcohol: I seem to be in the minority here but alcohol is a struggle for me due to an active social life where drinking is part of our culture. Hoping to commit to no drinking on N days (I rarely do drink on N days but could be stricter about it) and a 3-4 glass ceiling on S days if out at a social function.
Coffee: 1-2 cups per day with a dash of milk and agave syrup.
Diet Soda: Recently switching over to flavored seltzer.
Other notes: I work out 4-6 times per week depending on my schedule. Also utilize the HabitCal!! So helpful.

It's nice to read about other No-Sers' modifications and inspiring to see the progress others have made! :lol:

nettee

Post by nettee » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:45 am

Mods: None so far - considering the Friday to Sunday evening thing that lots of people do, would definitely think about S events instead of NWS days and considering a limitation to my S days but still a newbie so sticking to vanilla for now

Intelligent Dietary Defaults: wheetabix, fruit and a protein shake for breakfast. Work lunch - sandwich, cheese and cracker, salad and frozen rasberries with natural yoghurt. All put on one plate first before splitting up.

Alcohol: No limit to red wine but actually we probably only drink once or twice a week and usually not much. Not counting it as an S anyway.

Coffee: Don't like it but drink lots of milky tea. Considering whole milk instead sometimes but not tried this yet.

•Diet soda: Don't like it. Also avoiding fruit juice. I do drink no added sugar squash around once every two days and don't put a limit on that.

•Other Notes: All very new to me and at the stage of eating big meals to stave off hunger.

SugarFreebie

Post by SugarFreebie » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:12 pm

Mods: Vanilla seems to work best; may have to make last 3rd meal smaller than the other 2 for medical reasons but is work in progress. First feeding later in day (noonish-1 pm) works best; husband is fixated on dinner at about 6 pm so have to work around that. My Sweets are done w/ sugar substitutes d/t diabetes; anything w/ regular sugar jacks up blood sugars something awful--still confining them to S days, though. No Snacks have been a struggle but only do them if I'm PAINFULLY hungry; No Seconds no problem.

IDDs: Have found out the hard way that my first meal of the day needs to be my scrambled egg substitute (more medical reasons)/Mio-flavored plain yogurt/oat bran/nuts favorite or the rest of the day is a huge uphill struggle against appetite. Also do better if have high fiber (beans/lentils)carbs for lunch/dinner instead of refined ones--greatly helps w/ reducing the urge for snacks.

Alcohol: Occasional; don't want to return to my far-remote sot days. Will have wine w/ special occasion/holiday dinners (even at home-fairly extensive wine collection); must have a Smithwicks or two when we go out for Irish music, which we love.

Coffee: Can't stand the stuff but drink LOTS of many different kinds of black, green, and herb teas, lightly sweetened mostly w/ stevia and adding milk to the varieties that call for it (chai, Earl Grey etc).

Diet soda: A long-standing severe weakness. Have stopped keeping it in the house but need to find a better reward for doing the errands--first week I did No S I confined all but one to the S days--will do that again for the sake of moderation. Have an iced tea machine, may break that out and carry tea w/ me instead.

Other: Still working on getting exercise in: have to do most of it sitting or on floor/bed d/t painful ruined feet--walking is out but have both pedaler for indoors and bicycle for when weather permits. Using dumbbells I already had for a weights routine (which I can also do mostly sitting) rather than investing in a sledgehammer. Eating most dinners off of my favorite plates which have a 7 3/8" center area for the food; breakfast and lunch come out to about 14 oz of bowl volume. Losing weight again for the first time in months!
Peace out,
Mary S

Saramelie

Post by Saramelie » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:14 am

New to NoS, but already decided that....

MODS: Only one S day per week (saturday) + Special days.
INTELLIGENT DIETARY DEFAULTS: Trying to incorporate veggies with every lunch and dinner.
ALCOHOL, COFFEE, DIET SODA : I don't like, so I don't drink it
OTHER NOTES: Exercice is important for my wellbeing, so at the moment I aim to do 3 sessions, 1h each, weekly.
It can be done, one plate at a time!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:41 pm

• Mods: No sugar on N days (granulated, corn syrup, sweets in general) High carb/sugar stuff makes me really, really fight cravings
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: S days are friday dinner to Sunday Lunch
  • Alcohol: Yuk, no thanks!
  • Coffee: Sometimes, if I tolerate it, decaf
  • Diet soda: Gross. no thanks. But regular Dr. Pepper in at Subway, yes please (rare)
  • Other Notes: Trying for 30 mins exercise 5x a week.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Elizabeth 7

Post by Elizabeth 7 » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:02 am

OK, let's be honest- My way is more no s inspired than actually no s- But this is what I can STICK to.
  • Mods: - My S's are as follows: Snacks, Desserts, Drinks with calories ( don't have a problem with seconds, and I'm OK with non-dessert sweets like muffins, pancakes, and the like, and it takes the guess-work out of "iffy" foods). - Also, My S days are Saturdays and Tuesdays (or Sundays and Wednesdays... whatever works best for me that week). I can't TELL you what a difference it makes to me for getting through the week successfully to have my S-days staggered. I always only have to wait a couple of days for my next S-days. This goes a LONG way for me against free-for-all "It's the weekend!!" celebratory food consumption. - I have TWO S's on my S days.
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: yogurt with grape nuts and almonds for breakfast- It's portable, easy to bring to work.
  • Alcohol: Don't drink much. Because I drink so little, even though it is a drink with calories, I would be OK with a glass of wine on an N day with a meal. But probably only one. Margaritas, cocktails, other high calorie forms of alcohol would be out, though.
  • Coffee: Definite S day treat. I only like it iced, with cream and sugar :) (Yup, I know all you coffee-lovers find that weird :) )
  • Diet soda: Ummm... lots. It's my coffee sub at a stressful job. Maybe someday when I get the above habits solidly down I'll give it up. Maybe. At least reduce it!
  • Other Notes: That's it! I love the Classical Stretch/Essentrics program, and would like to have the habit of doing one every day (23 min episodes), but I'm definitely off of that habit for the moment.

Red

Post by Red » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:26 am

This is an awesome idea... LOVE reading all of yours!!

[list]
[*][b]Mods:[/b] None really, except I do try to honor 3 meals on S days.
[*][b]Intelligent Dietary Defaults:[/b] Oatmeal for b'fast. Salad/protein lunch.
[*][b]Alcohol:[/b] Occasionally - but not on N days.
[*][b]Coffee:[/b] EVERY DAY, and yes I sweeten it.
[*][b]Diet soda:[/b] Don't like, don't drink it.
[*][b]Other Notes:[/b] Found it a little hard on N days to keep to the plates... especially when eating out, it's a bit of a challenge - so I try to have all courses served at the same time. If not - I try to use virtual plates. But it's not easy.
[/list]
"...skid into heaven broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” " Thank you Hunter!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:08 am

Just noticed reinhard's idea for 1/2 fries; 1/2 salad when eating out. I love fries but always feel like I should get the salad. Brilliant !

Also for anyone wanting to track alcohol, it been using Saying When app and am finding it super helpful/motivating.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Merry

Post by Merry » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:58 pm

Red wrote:
[*]Other Notes: Found it a little hard on N days to keep to the plates... especially when eating out, it's a bit of a challenge - so I try to have all courses served at the same time. If not - I try to use virtual plates. But it's not easy.
This reminds me of another mod--I rarely eat out, but when I do, I don't really worry about plating. For example:

If we're having Mexican, I eat chips & salsa before the meal comes. I eat however much of the meal I want, and may take some home. I don't worry about how many chips I had and whether I could fit them on the plate virtually.

If we're having Chinese, I eat an eggroll before, we sample off of each other's plates, and I don't worry about plating it all at once (firsts vs. seconds).

If we ate out weekly or more often, I'm sure this would be something I'd want to think about more, but since we usually eat out only once or twice a month at most (either S or N days), I'm not overly picky about plating in some of these scenarios.
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri May 06, 2016 11:53 am

• Mods: just starting so vanilla noS, trying to "nail" the 21 day challenge... and plain salad (no cheese, meat, eggs, croutons, rarely french dressing, mostly italian dressing) is in a separate plate... if by any chance it contains one of the above mentioned ingedients - it is part of the plate...
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: 21 years of lacto-ovo vegetarianism, since i was 17
  • Alcohol: on almost all weekends, smtms too much
  • Coffee: no
  • Diet soda: never... "normal" soda - a glass couple of time a months or less
  • Other Notes: walks/joggs in the forest, non sedentary and pretty active job (work with children)
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

bizzybee

Post by bizzybee » Fri May 06, 2016 1:02 pm

• Mods: none trying to get vanilla down first
  • Intelligent Dietary Defaults: I make whole milk Greek yogurt every Sunday - trying to avoid empty carbs as they make me hungrier
  • Alcohol: I have added a glass of red wine every night because it's supposed to help with insulin sensitivity.
  • Coffee: lots with milk and truvia, decaf after noon, herbal tea before bed
  • Diet soda: this s my treat when I'm eating out of the house, at home I drink la croix flavored seltzer
  • Other Notes: my three meals are eaten around noon, 3 and 7. I have been trying to get a good 16 hour fast in every day, but I'm not a slave to it, if I wake up hungry, I eat breakfast.

Oh, I forgot to add that I use the App "you food" and take a picture of all three plates on N days. This does several things for me, I tend to eat a little healthier because I have people looking at what I eat, if I have a good week weight loss wise, I can look back at what I ate and get a sense of what works. I do not take pictures on S days, I need the break from all diet thought.

librarylady

Post by librarylady » Fri May 06, 2016 3:15 pm

*Mods: My main mod is breaking up my breakfast - I have a coffee and a handful of all bran with milk before I leave the house before 7:00AM and then a hard boiled egg with my coffee about 9:45. I just can't eat eggs that early. This also makes it easy to wait for lunch at about 1:30.
*Intelligent Dietary Defaults: same breakfast (see above) on all no s day. Lunch is always a yogurt and fruit - usually an apple. Herbal tea after dinner on weekdays
*Alcohol: wine on the weekends, sometimes a cocktail
*Coffee: every day! Just with milk, no sugar
*Diet soda: never. I don't really like sweetened soda of any kind (or iced tea!). If I'm around folks drinking it, I might have a plain seltzer. I drink mineral water with dinner during the week and wine on the weekend.
*Other Notes: - I take public transit to work and that requires a lot of walking and stairs, my job is quite active with running around with students and again up and down stairs. I take the dog on 1 12/2 hour walks during the week and two 3 mile walks on the weekend. So I do get in a considerable amount of walking.

Over43

Post by Over43 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:34 pm

*Mods: None, I either No S, or I do not. I have lost weight using No S eating bacon and eggs for breakfast, a Subway Sandwich for lunch, and Hamburger Helper at dinner. For me it is that "simple" three meals a day.

*Intelligent Dietary Defaults: See above, yet due to sour stomach, I eat less "fresh fruit" (a term from my childhood) and eat more citrus and bananas with breakfast and lunch. Also I have changed to rice flour bread, and rice is now my dominate carbohydrate. It makes my stomach feel better.

*Alcohol: None, alcoholism runs in the family. It is best I just stay away from it.

*Coffee: One in the morning. A couple of sugar cubes and non-dairy creamer.

*Diet soda: Daily, Diet Coke and Diet Mt. Dew.

*Other Notes: -Fitness has been s struggle. When my grandpa died I went into a "funk". I would work, get home, flop on the bed (read or watch something on the Kindle), and do it all over the next day. I probably did this for a year, year and a half. I started riding the Airdyne late last summer. I started developing back pain after I would ride it. As noted in my journal, I have switched to swimming. With the Airdyne and swimming combined, I think I have finally reached a tolerable level of fitness. I still have room to grow, but I am finally on the right track.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79