Giada's last bit of 2015 check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Giada

Giada's last bit of 2015 check-in

Post by Giada » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:53 am

Wednesday

No-S
Village rangering

Shovelglove

Breakfast was the usual blueberry, banana and yoghurt smoothie.

Lunch: pasta salad, with chickpeas, sauteed courgette, baby red cabbage, baby plum tomatoes and some onion. Forgot to add a carrot - and they're in the garden for picking. Thought the salad lacked some colour!

Wednesday is braai night: last night it was lamb chops, boerewors and a cheese, onion and tomato toastie, all done on the fire. Oh, and a slice of melon.

"Living of the soil" yielded a measly yellow pear tomato, three pea pods - but they were delicious - and a couple of cherry plums. The birds are winning the War of Figs - they have no understanding of waiting for a fig - or any fruit, for that matter - to ripen.

Took an afternoon walk - not my favourite time of day for a walk as it's too hot, but I was waiting for the courier to collect a parcel, so had to stay at home to wait for him. Walked for about 90 minutes, but with the Big White Dog in sniffing mode, actual walking time was less than that. Guess I/we did about 6 km.

The sledge will get some attention today - I promised it that yesterday as I flew out the door.

Giada

Post by Giada » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:20 am

Thursday

No S
Village rangering
SG

One of those days, with two big meals out - both spur of the moment.

Breakfast was the usual blueberry smoothie.

Lunch was a chicken burger, chips, garlic-and-cheese sauce and salad. It's the only meal I ever order at this particular restaurant, and the staff know just how to make me happy.

I was hoping for a light dinner but the man who cooks decided that he was too tired to cook, and we had takeaways - I had a bacon, avo and feta pizza. Any guesses what I'm having for breakfast today?

The walk was a short one, as was my session with the sledge. One of those "just do it to get it done" days.

I simply have to get more serious about exercise - yesterday I focused on the "reward" of a green square on my habitcal, and not on the action to get the reward. It's all fine and dandy to tell myself that I'm working on building a habit, but I don't want to build half-arsed habits, either. Patience, patience, patience. I'll get there, somehow.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:39 pm

Well done! Focusing on the :mrgreen: reward is SO powerful a motivator for me too!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

Giada

Post by Giada » Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:36 am

Cookie, it seems we're still children at heart - gold stars, green smiley faces...

Friday

No S
Village rangering
SG

Breakfast: LO pizza
Lunch: ramdom collection of what was in the fridge
Dinner: steak, potato wedges, slice of chocolate cake (My S days are from 6 on Fridays till after lunch on Sundays).

Some figs and cherry plums from the garden.

Long walk with the Big White Dog. I'm her favouritest person in the world on long-walk days - except when I stop her from chasing squirrels.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi Giada (love your name btw)

Thank you so much fo stopping by my thread. You really lifted my spirits. &#128524;

Your dog sounds adorable. I have two dogs that I just adore. They are so appreciative of those walks aren't they? I wish ppl were that easy to deal with. Oh well, maybe I'll just stick to dogs & become that crazy dog woman on the block. It could be worse.

Have a great day!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Giada

Post by Giada » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:31 am

Linda, good-crazy sounds fine to me - I think the world needs more eccentrics.

Saturday

No S
Village rangering
SG

LO steak with scrambled egg and cheese on toast for breakfast; salami, cheese and tomato rolls for a late lunch ; couple of salami slices later on in the day; waterblommetjiebredie and sweet potato for dinner. The man who cooks watched my mum once when she made her sweet potato dish, and he's getting close to her way of doing it. Not my favourite dish - much too sweet for my taste - so I only had a few slices. Loaded my plate with the waterblommetjie part of the stew, though.

Should have walked the Big White Dog, but she got a lot of exercise chasing a tennis ball.

Have a good Sunday, all!

Giada

Post by Giada » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:20 am

Sunday

No S
Village rangering
SG

Smoothie; lasagna (made with kudu mince), green salad, chocolate cake; seconds of the lasagna but not the salad :roll: ; cheese

Not particularly bad, not particularly good - just an S day.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:47 am

Giada wrote:Linda, good-crazy sounds fine to me - I think the world needs more eccentrics!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:51 am

Giada wrote:Linda, good-crazy sounds fine to me - I think the world needs more eccentrics!
I love that--you are awesome!

I'm also learning a lot of new foods from you. I had to google waterblommetjiebredie (wow that's long) and kudu mince for starters. :)

Giada

Post by Giada » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:03 am

Afrikaans tends to have these long compound words: how about waatlemoenkonfytkookreelingskomiteevergaderingnotule? OK, it's made up, but completely correct with regards to grammar and spelling. Translated, it means means the minutes of the organising committee of the watermelon jam cooking contest. Bit of trivia to brighten your day.

And thanks for the compliment - you just made my heart sing and dance.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:33 am

Oh I'm glad&#128525;

Oh my goodness that is so funny! One of the things I love about this form is all the interesting things I get to learn about other cultures/customs. So cool--thanks for keeping things interesting.
:D

Giada

Post by Giada » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:02 am

Hey Linda - just missed you!

Monday

No S
Village rangering
SG

B: Veg omelette on brown bread, yellow plums
L: Cheese and tomato sandwich, fig
S: Cold meat, cheese and tomato bun

A very bready day - not the best of meals overall - but there were three of them and that's what count.

Long squirrel-hunting session with the Big White Dog - about 6 km - and the 80 mins included a lot of stopping and sniffing (BWD) and chatting to people (me). I was taught not to sniff at things or people and paid attention to the lesson.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:02 pm

I know what you mean about 'bready' days - I get those sometimes. But, as you rightly say - it was THREE meals. Well done!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:07 am

80 mins wow that's awesome. My dogs would be in heaven. Of course I'd be more inclined to take them on walks if they were better behaved during them. My fault for not training them-I know. &#128522;

Giada

Post by Giada » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:47 pm

Linda, BWD used to pull me behind her at speed, until I bought a cheap leash that actually restrained her. Can't remember the name right now, but will go to the shop tomorrow (if I remember :oops: ) and let you know.

Tuesday

No S
Village rangering
SG

Not hungry enough for breakfast at breakfast time
L: breakfast for lunch: fried eggs on toast, with cheese
D: goulashy thing, made with cubed kudu and lots of cream, mashed potato, carrot salad.

Short walk - about 30 mins?- with BWD, but in the upper part of the village, so nice and hilly all the way.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:06 am

Okay thank you! How much does bwd weigh? Mine is about 95 lbs. the other is like 25 lbs but they're bffs. &#9786;&#65039;

Giada

Post by Giada » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:41 am

95 lb - that's huge! BWD is about 25, I think, the last time she was at the vet.

Wednesday

No S
Village rangering
SG

B: courgette omelette on toast
L: really odd concoction of green beans (from my garden - beyond delicious!), tomato relish and chickpeas. Could be good with some tweaks.
D: Wednesday night is braai night: lamb rib, boerewors, cheese, tomato, onion toasties, potato salad.

BWG (but much smaller than Linda's brute) had another short walk, hilly version.

Added a few new SG moves to my limited repertoire, and discovered previously unknown muscles. Not sore at all, just a dull ache. Actually a nice feeling to have.

wahine

Post by wahine » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:01 am

I had to look up braai. Are you in South Africa?

Looks like you have a pretty good routine going.

Giada

Post by Giada » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:33 am

Hello Wahine - and welcome here!

Yes, I'm from South Africa - the Western Cape, actually. Perhaps I should add a link to Safflish/Saffa expressions to my check-in log.

My attempt at habits are going well - but next week is looming, and Christmas is a big thing here...

Giada

Post by Giada » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:33 am

Thursday

No S
Village rangering
SG

L: linguine with sauteed courgette, mango
D: egg on toast, beetroot salad

Had some bad news, not much of an appetite. Promised myself that if I walked BWD round the block it would count as the daily walk. Did a fair bit more than that, but I really just went through the motions.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:48 am

Oh no, are you ok?

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:24 am

Hi Giada,
Greetings.
I'm heading down to Cape Town next week for 2 weeks over Christmas. I understand it's really hot this time of year. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that part of the continent, I have only been down there for a few days, several years ago.
Glad to have you here on NoS.
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

Giada

Post by Giada » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:14 am

Feeling much better today, Linda, thanks! (And I still haven't been to the shop to look at the dog lead name, but I will.)

Osoniye, I'm fleeing the holiday makers and will be upcountry over Christmas. CT is beautiful, no matter what time of year you visit - just keep in mind that everywhere will be crowded, and expect some wind. I hope you have a lovely time - will you be with staying with local friends? If not, and you would like a heads-up on places to visit, let me know. I'd be happy to help.

ETA: Just had a look at your check-in thread, and it sounds as if you'll have a tour guide. :lol: Have a lovely time.

Giada

Post by Giada » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:54 am

Friday

No S
Village rangering
SG

B: toasted bacon, egg and cheese sandwich (while watching the waves and the holidaymakers)
L: salad - red cabbage, carrots, apple, cranberries
D: Lamb chop, potato (with lashings of butter!)

I sooooooooooooooooo wanted an ice cream at the beach - it's almost obligatory in my book. But, there will be trips to the beach on S days in the future and I will insist on my rights then.

My light lunch (well, for me, anyway) carried me through till dinner, which was around 9:30. In the past I would have been eating live spiders from hunger, but I was fine last night.

Still sore from the SG moves, and I had to bribe myself into lifting the sledge: 3 sets of 14 moves to a side would get me a green. I did 5 sets. Green square with gold star, anyone?

Have a great weekend, everybody!

wahine

Post by wahine » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:02 am

I'm impressed you've got an actual sledgehammer! I bet they work pretty well for the arm muscles.

Giada

Post by Giada » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:05 pm

I've a seven-pounder, Kate (it sounds much more impressive than a 3 and a bit kg one!) Used to have a 12 pounder that was appropriated by a person unknown. Now that worked my muscles!

S days were pretty calm - I had a few home-made cookies today, and nothing yesterday. Big lunch out today - kingklip and prawns - so I might not even feel like having supper tonight.

wahine

Post by wahine » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:33 am

Seven pounder makes it sound like a baby....

Giada

Post by Giada » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:29 am

Hehe, my thoughts exactly when I typed it!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:42 pm

Looks like a great weekend. Great job!

Giada

Post by Giada » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:20 am

Green for meals yesterday, red for both SG and walk.

Leaving soon to spend time with my family - talk when I get back.

Have a peaceful Christmas, everybody!

wahine

Post by wahine » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:28 am

Meri Kirihimete Giada.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:54 am

Happy holidays!!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:34 pm

Giada wrote:CT is beautiful, no matter what time of year you visit - just keep in mind that everywhere will be crowded, and expect some wind.
You speak the truth on all counts, Giada!
It is lovely, but very windy. We enjoyed a carol service at St.George's cathedral last night, and wound up eating Christmas lunch at Bukhara's as most places were closed or already fully booked. It was very nice!
We're staying at St. Paul's guest house, which is fairly basic but enjoyable. Hope you're having fun while away!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".