Sonya's checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ItsMe2015

Post by ItsMe2015 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:52 am

It is hard when don't want to have to tell someone you're restricting your eating on a given day. I think telling her at a later time when there is no chance of offending her is a wise idea.
~Cindy

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:11 pm

Thanks Linda. Yeah, all the more difficult when it was all "for" me.
Thanks for stopping by, Cindy. Yeah, I hope not to offend her. My friend is a conscientious hostess; that seems to tie into her self worth. She is from Romania, and I don't know if that is cultural. (I only know a few others from there and they are not homemakers. Not exactly something you can ask directly!) I hope for it to come across as "from now on, I am doing... (such and such)", so it doesn't reflect on our recent time together.
Today, S day:
B: coffee, 2 scrambled eggs w/onion/green pepper, flat bread, hot cocoa
L: pistachios, whole wheat cork-screw pasta with tomato based sauce
S: cashews, 5 dates, leftover plate of beans, lentils, millet, rice w/spices
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:55 pm

S Day
B: Hot cocoa, black coffee
L: tuna salad on whole wheat corkscrew pasta, 1/3 grapefruit
S: glass noodles w/onion, zucchini, mushrooms, snow peas (w/seconds, this is so good!)
I really like having mostly just coffee for breakfast. That only works when I'm away from home in the mornings. Though my appetite is returning, I don't really think I need 3 meals each day, especially on an S day when there is the chance of really good seconds at another meal!
-Sonya
No Sweets, No Snacks and No Seconds, Except (Sometimes) on days that start with "S".

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:55 pm

Well, my appetite is back in full force, as I suppose it should be after a week of light eating. I stuck to 1 plate at supper, though I would have liked more, sigh.
B: coffee w/milk, cashews, peanuts, apple w/peanut butter
L: red beans, wh/wh pasta, tomato based sauce
S: 5 dates, Thai spiced cashews, glass noodles w/onion, green pepper, mushrooms, snow peas. etc.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:08 pm

My body is doing that funny thing, where I am ravenous and my clothes are a tad looser, but the scales isn't budging. Usually that eventually leads to a jump down on the scales, with patience. Boy, if only I would stop gaining and re-losing the same 20# over and over! I am hopeful the penny will drop and I will keep up NoS under all conditions, all year round, year after year. So far, back in my normal environment, it is going very well.

Brunch: coffee w/creamer, 12 oz pasta salad (wh/wh pasta, red beans, cucumber, tomato, onion, olive oil, lemon juice), peanuts
pm: macchiato
S: pistachios, tuna salad on wh/wh pasta, 1/2 grapefruit, 5 dates
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 pm

Yeah sometimes it takes a bit for the scales to catch up with our bodies! Glad things are going well!

Linda
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 pm

I realize that part of being satisfied with 3 plates of food for me, is including something crunchy. It matters not whether that is peanuts or raw carrots. The problem is that it's easy to reach into a bag of peanuts, but not so easy to have grated carrot or carrot sticks readily available. So, I am trying to prepare the carrots ahead of time, and work them into my routine, so that by the time I run out of peanuts again, it will be just as easy to choose the carrots. (Apples would work too, but they are ridiculously expensive here.)

B: coffee w/milk, pistachios, peanuts
L: lentils/rice, snow peas/onion/mushrooms w/red Thai curry paste, grated carrots, 1/2 grapefruit
S: @Cor's: swiss chard lasagne, zucchini salad, crunchy bread snack food
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Well, my weight seems to have taken a turn for the better as shown on my rolling averages chart. So... I gained a total of 6# on my 5 week trip away, and have lost 3# since my return (the past 2 weeks). That is good to see, that the loss is going at about the same rate as the gain came. It is not always that way! (The chart is really helpful, as it truly does even out the rough bumps on the scales and shows a more realistic reflection of the actual situation.)

Brunch: 11:30a: decaf coffee w/creamer, cashews, lentils/rice w/onion/green pepper/tomato/mushroom, 5 dates
Lupper: 5p: red beans, millet, tomato/cucumber salad, peanuts
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:35 am

That's awesome! Are you using an app or something or is the chart something you just do yourself?

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:46 pm

Hi Linda- Thanks for stopping by. I use the https://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/HackDiet site. It's free and I just type in my weight on every day that I weigh in. I love generally reading over the Hacker's Diet stuff, too. It's more calorie counting oriented than NoS, but it's written in a fun way and gives perspective sometimes.

B: decaf coffee w/creamer, peanuts, sm bowl cornflakes w/milk
L: millet, tomato/cucumber salad, pistachios, 5 dates, mint green tea
S: tilapia w/onion/green pepper/tomato, millet, raw shredded carrot, 1/2 cheese croissant, coffee w/milk
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:04 pm

B: decaf coffee w/creamer, peanuts, ~1/4c pudding
L:potluck: "lasagna", chili thing, salad w/walnuts, scalloped potatoes, sm potato soup, beef, corn casserole, 1/4 pita bread, "dessert"= popcorn, mango/papaya
S: instant decaf coffee w/creamer, pistachios, glass noodles, fish, veggies, 5 dates

NoS has been going well, but my resolve to avoid added sugar hasn't been going so well. Some of the time it has been something not exactly sweet, but which clearly has some sugar in it, given to me by someone else at their house. I think I need to keep letting people know as clearly as I can that I am avoiding sweet things/sugar, but also be willing to say "No thank you" to some things, too. Most of the time these things are not appealing, but I take some out of politeness. When I was a skinny kid, I thought nothing about saying "No thank you" and clarifying that I just didn't want any, when pressed, if something didn't particularly appeal to me. I guess I've become a more polite adult, but I'm a heavier adult, too!
Then there are the things I actually want... like the pudding mix I was preparing to take to an event today. After eating a large "taste", I could instantly tell that my sugar craving was reactivated, and I regretted it. I really don't mind doing without sugar if I don't have ANY, and I feel so much better physically living that way.
-Sonya

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:25 am

You can definitely both refuse a dessert or sweet and be polite. Just accompany each refusal with a genuine expression of appriciation for their generosity. I suppose the notion that we have to accept everything that is offered to us came from a time when folks didn't have much to offer. Consequently, they were making a real sacrifice by sharing/offering us a gift of food - especially sweet food. But in our current society we are inundated with such "gifts" and in my view most have become vapid at best and harmful at worst.

I am sometimes tempted to "taste" too much when making things for other people but that's mainly an issue of self discipline ;) Sometimes I'm disciplined and sometimes I'm not. As time slips by and I continue to be disciplined, it gets easier.

How often are you eating with others? If they are making savory food with a added sugar then I wouldn't worry about it unless you are eating with them a lot. I suppose I'd define "a lot" as more than once or twice a week. If that's the case, then I see no reason not to either politely pass on the food you don't want to eat or take a very small serving. In my mind, that is a more polite option than asking them to change their style of cooking. But, of course, that depends on your relationship with them.

Good luck - I hope next week goes well for you. I know what you mean about feeling better without the sugar.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:30 pm

Funny how after the unplanned sweets you had seconds later. I have found that old habit kick in, too. I don't think it's always WTH. I think the body just likes the feeling again.

Those situations can be very tough. I wonder what would happen if you had insisted that you be able to take some with you instead of having it then? I'm not saying you should have. It sometimes helps me to consider what I could do as politely as possible to "train" the other person. It can be hard the first time, but easy later when they give up on thinking you will partake. But they can't see you break your own rule in other circumstances. Then again, I don't have a lot of friends! Maybe you shouldn't follow my lead. :?
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:28 am

gingerpie wrote:I suppose the notion that we have to accept everything that is offered to us came from a time when folks didn't have much to offer. Consequently, they were making a real sacrifice by sharing/offering us a gift of food
Thanks gingerpie! I really appreciate your stopping by with wisdom and support.
Funnily enough, what you describe is often the situation in which I find myself! Some of my national friends do not have much in the way of physical things to share, and it is difficult to "turn my nose up" (I don't do that, but don't want it to even seem that way) at whatever is offered. Sometimes volunteers here are in a similar position. I have maybe 15 or so people or family groups I get into this situation with. I guess I rotate through that group every couple of months. If it were fewer people, visited more often, it might be easier. I don't want to eat sweet things out of politeness a couple of times a week. One family I visit infrequently, mostly on local holidays, and I enjoy whatever they serve me. A couple of ladies know what I'm doing, so that's cool. That leaves the rest. I guess I need to navigate something workable that is polite enough, and informative enough that I strike some kind of a balance. It is good at least to take a small portion of things here, generally, but people do get used to each other's likes and dislikes. I wouldn't ask people to change their style of cooking, but may get better at pointing out how much I prefer the popcorn/peanuts to the sweets on offer.
Hi oolala- Yeah, I think by politely declining or taking a very small amount I may be able to give people the general idea. I don't like how much thought and energy that takes. (Culturally here, "take aways" would be frowned upon.) Good point that they can't see me break my own rule in other circumstances! That sometimes helps me a ton when in a bigger social group, to avoid dessert!

(Sunday)
B: Hot cocoa, regular coffee w/milk
L: bean soup, lentils/rice, onion/green pepper/tomato, peanuts
pm- nice big S day treat: roasted carrots &potatoes (raw 1# of each, wow!), ketchup, instant decaf coffee w/creamer
S: fish, glass noodles, mushrooms, bok choy, 5 dates
Funny, though I'm trying to avoid added sugar generally, I went out of my way to get the ketchup with sugar in it as opposed to the HFCS!
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:21 pm

I lived in Iran for a few years. Yeah, I wouldn't have asked to take some home there. I did sometimes see people take food offered and then not finish it, more often women than men. But the pressure there to eat was much greater than here. And less pressure NOT to be chunky! But it would be a dilemma eat a lot more just for cultural reasons. It sounds like you are navigating it quite well.

I forgot what you're doing there. Teaching?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi oolala- I bet there are some similarities between here and Iran... both being more "traditional societies". One IS encouraged to eat a lot, and the being overweight is a mixed bag... traditional ladies prefer to be heavier and modern ladies prefer to follow the more worldwide fashion standard to be thin. Still it's funny, if you lose weight, most people assume you have been sick, or run on hard times. I think I need to learn to be more assertive in a good way... it is a struggle I have had for most of my adult life. Appropriate boundaries do not come easy for me.

B: decaf coffee w/creamer, peanuts, tuna salad on pumpernickel
L: chic peas, brown and wild rice, dark millet, 1/2 grapefruit
S: whole grain pasta, veggie sauce, 5 dates
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:44 pm

I've read that Middle Eastern women in places like Kuwait and Qatar , already some of the heaviest in the world, are gaining weight with the influence of fast food restaurants and a culture that promotes frequent eating and full-bodied women. Some are also suffering higher incidences of diabetes and other degenerative diseases, as are the men. The main reason the women DON'T want to lose weight? They are afraid their husbands won't be attracted to them anymore! I guess I would be too skinny there... Don't know if there's a generational difference, though I wouldn't be surprised.

I've also thought of going to live there a few years after retirement to try to make some bucks promoting what I call "Slim Culture Eating." If I was able to, it would be only with Reinhard's permission and he'd get a cut. But it's mostly a pipe dream. Yet I think I could be of help. No S would still allow them a lot of freedom, they wouldn't be as focused on weight loss, but I bet they would get improvement in their blood stats. I'd have to hire a translator, I guess. And dealing with the societal pressure to eat would be something I'd have to figure out. I hope I can pick your brain once in awhile on this topic, even though I'm just musing .
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:09 am

oolala53 wrote: The main reason the women DON'T want to lose weight? They are afraid their husbands won't be attracted to them anymore!
Hi oolala,
I read a humorous piece a while back about young guys in the culture, who were trying to be cool and pretend to be attracted to thin women, but really deep down wanted to marry a more traditionally built lady. It was pretty telling.
I worked for a brief stint in the public health sector, in a different country with very different issues, but I came away with the impression that with regard to food and eating, "culture always wins". I know that I didn't have the right personality to help people make changes that borderd on changing their world view, but some people have better luck with such things. Good luck to you, if you get the chance to try out your slim eating education idea!
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:25 am

Oh, it would only be for those who are interested. I hope to be through with implementing mandated education. I took a career test over 25 years ago that said that I should concentrate on an area of intense interest and have people come to me for my expertise. I didn't know what that might be back then. I'm just shooting in the dark. Thankfully, I don't need to depend on my success with the next venture.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:56 pm

oolala53 wrote:I should concentrate on an area of intense interest and have people come to me for my expertise.
Well, oolala, I know you can't quit your day job for this, but it sounds like you have really found the right place here at NoS. I know I am among many people who really appreciate your sharing here!

(Tuesday)
B: decaf coffee w/creamer, peanuts, tuna salad on pasta, cashews
L: cheeseburger, fries, pistachois
S: sm fish, chic peas, rice, decaf instant coffee w/creamer, 5 dates

Having frequent long power outages and I've been joined by a mouse in the living room. It's cold here now, and I know she (I'm betting it's a she and she's pregnant) is just tryin to find a warm place too. But it gives me the heebie jeebies when there is obviously someone climbing halfway up the living room curtain from the other side, and sounds to be at ear level...
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:01 am

Oh dear, I'd be so freaked out! When we have critters in the yard I'm afraid to go outside by myself. I'm a total wimp though and logically I know they won't hurt me but still you are much braver than me!

I hope the outages get better and the critter finds another home!

Linda

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:51 pm

I count on cooling off my place by opening doors out onto a deck and the back door. (They're only ten feet apart.) Twice this summer I've had a possum come into the house! Once it was behind me, meaning it some walked all the way past me sitting at the computer and into the kitchen! That possum heard some salty language. I was so mad at it for "making me" have to scare it away. This will really freak you out: one of the times, I wasn't even sure it was out of the house when I went to bed. Don't ask for the details. I'm miffed that I have to keep the doors closed now in our 88 deg. heat.

But mice I just set the traps for. I get a few a year.

A little freaky but the price I'm willing to pay to live on a canyon.

Hope your company is gone.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:09 pm

B: decaf coffee w/creamer, peanuts, baked beans, oven fries, tomato, mushroom
L: pecans, tuna salad on pasta, 5 dates, herbal tea
S: fish, chic peas, rice
Just kind of an unremarkable eating day, but the food was satisfying. I guess I could stand to get some more fresh fruit and vegetables, but it's been sort of dark and rainy and I've been working at home. Not motivating to venture out.

Hi Linda and oolala,
Yeah, critters keep life interesting. I haven't seen or heard from the mouse today. Keeping a low profile, I guess. I am sure all food is wrapped well and there is nothing like grains in a plastic bag or anything, so I'm not sure what it is eating. I can sort of live with a mouse... maybe not a whole bunch of them, though. What I really can't stand is a rat, and I'm so thankful I haven't had one in my current place. I don't know how I would deal with a possum! That is just so much larger!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:59 pm

(Tuesday)
B: decaf coffee w/creamer, peanuts, potato chips
L: rice noodles, Asian veggie soup (w/zucchini, carrot, onion, TVP), cucumber/tomato salad, chips, peanuts
S: baked beans, inst mashed potatos, tomato, mushroom
I'll call today RED, as I had seconds of the soup at lunch. It was super light and 1 bowl would not have filled me up, but it was seconds none the less. I think that is what S days are for, to plan things that I want to eat "MOAR" of.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:41 pm

B: decaf coffee w/milk, peanuts, fish, chic peas, rice
L: decaf coffee w/Bailey's, pecans, beans, inst mashed potato
S: rice noodle peanut veggie soup, cucumber/tomato salad
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:02 pm

Looks like you're doing great--enjoy those S days!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:43 pm

Thanks, Linda!

(Saturday, Capitol S day)
B: decaf coffee w/milk, peanuts
Lupper: spicy braised beef, mixed offal, collard greens, 1 egg, millet, 1/2 cupcake, few bite-sized candy chunks, 2 slices bread, popcorn, 1/2 glass sparkling grape juice, 2 demitasse coffee w/sugar
(Sunday)
B: decaf coffee w/milk, peanuts, pecans
L: leftovers from Saturday, cashews, 5 prunes
S: fish, chic peas, rice, 1/2 grapefruit
I enjoyed the Capitol S day on Saturday, and ate a lot, but it was kind of a late lunch and I skipped supper. The cupcake and candy were a bit too much for my normally sugar avoidant self. It was fun eating with the teenagers there, and we all agreed that was the worst cupcake we had ever eaten! Some new bakery was trying their hand at something where I don't think they even knew what a cupcake should taste like. The texture was terrible, and the frosting had a really off taste. It was good for a lot of laughs.
16+ hour power outage, so some food got kind of warm in the fridge. I tried to cook up the last of the fish I had bought, and well, I don't think I'll be buying any more fish until this spate of power outages are over!
No sign of the mouse, and I see the neighbor's cat sunning himself near the back door sometimes, so I wonder if the two of them ran into each other...
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:41 am

B: reg coffee w/creamer, peanuts &pecans, leftovers, sm pasta
L: soup, inst mashed potatoes, decaf spiced tea, 5 dates
S: peanuts
A housemate who I don't particularly get along with is back in town... that can sometimes keep me out of the kitchen, which is not always a bad thing.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:28 am

Glad the mouse seems to be gone sorry the annoying roommate is back! Being an introvert always made having roommates so painful for me! I'm social & friendly but I gotta have my space.

So funny about the cupcake and glad you had a good S day. I really admire how you take everything in stride.

Linda :)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi Linda,
Thanks. The "taking everything in stride" thing seems to come with living overseas for a while. I've seen most people develop that way, or burn out and have to go home before accomplishing whatever they came to do. (A few spouses stay and just become bitter, and that seems like the worst!)
I used to really enjoy sharing digs with a housemate, but that was in the US where you could choose someone really compatible. Here, you kind of make due with whoever else needs to save on rent among the people you know, and there's much less choice of who you might get along with. It's a lot harder. But then, I am older than I used to be, and maybe I wouldn't enjoy sharing a place anywhere, but that's kind of masked by living away from my home country. I don't know.

B: decaf coffee w/stevia, peanuts, cashews, leftovers
L: chic peas/rice
S: @German bakery: 1/2 club sandwich, 1/2 order french fries, coffee w/milk
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:19 pm

B: decaf coffee w/milk, peanuts, white toast w/peanut butter, cucumber/tomato salad
Late lunch: chic pea/onion stew, zucchini, flat bread, decaf coffee w/milk, cashews
Was stuck in an airline office over lunch time, so ate really late. Not time for another meal, though I could probably eat one if I didn't have to produce it myself!
The scales is a bit stuck again... weight loss seems to come in fits and starts. I will be doing some in-country work travel starting Sunday afternoon, and hope to stick to NoS meticulously throughout the trip. I sure need the practice, and this is kind of training wheels type of travel, as there isn't much temptation on the other end.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:02 pm

B: decaf coffee w/milk, peanuts, chic pea stew, flat bread
L: onion leek soup, 2 white rolls (one w/butter), slaw, "creme caramel" pudding
S: sardines on white toast, cashews
One of those incidental red days. I ate at a friend's house and the lunch was really light! The only protein at all was in the dessert (pudding made with milk). I'm not sure how I would have lived through the afternoon if I hadn't eaten some. OK, so I exaggerate.
The scales was a little bit up today. Not sure if that is PMS, or actual fat. I do notice that it comes after a week or more of not being vigilant about keeping plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables around. That often makes a big difference.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:22 pm

B: decaf Ricofi w/milk, peanuts, cashews, sm sardines on toast
L: chic pea stew, zucchini, flat bread, 1 raw carrot, decaf coffee w/milk, 5 dates, 2 sesame balls (Sugar is 4th ingredient, only 6g sugar per piece. It is slightly sweet but not "A Sweet".)
S: cup of soup

Power was out this afternoon and evening, and I really wanted toast. Oh, well. Boiled some water on a gas burner and had a cup of soup. Not exactly satisfying, but I didn't feel very creative under the circumstances. (I don't feel like I'm taking everything in stride very well tonight!)
Ate the sesame balls at the end of lunch. They contain sugar, so are against my intention to avoid sugar, but do not count as a sweet, as far as making the day red, the way I count things.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:55 pm

I definitely wouldn't count that as a sweet either. More power outages? Ugh! Does it vary depending upon the time of year or you get them all year?

Also, is it too nosey if I ask what brought you there? It sounds interesting!

I'm sure your weight will be back down soon. Mine always goes up a couple pounds when I'm pmsing.

Hope you have a nice weekend??

Linda

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:54 pm

Hi Linda,
Yeah the power outages- for sure, some times are much, much better than others. But it seems like there is no discernible pattern to it. It may have something to do with water levels somewhere, as I think we're on hydro-electric. But when we have heavy rains that doesn't lead to better service, like now it's been raining for a few months and the service is bad. But you can almost count on it being really bad every year before the rains, so that's one thing that's kind of constant. Someone on my compound bought a pump last month, so now there is water in the house most of the time, which has not been the case for the 5 1/2 years I've been in this house. So, once in a while something or other improves!

Well, I've polished off the tree nuts I had brought from the US (a few bags of cashews, pistachios and pecans) and have finished the current lot of peanuts. I can only replace the peanuts here (no tree nuts). It might be good to let that go for a little while, as I seem to be eating a little bit on the high fat side lately. I find it hard to eat less than 4 oz nuts per day if they are available. They seem to have replaced sweets as the thing I overeat if they are around. (Good thing the candy is not around, though.) But I guess I'm traveling to a place where they sell roasted peanuts on the street, so temptation will still abound. I don't want to make too many rules for myself even if they are somewhat flexible. I just know I need to control the "what" on plates a bit if I am going to lose any weight. That (weight loss) seems to get more difficult with each passing year!
One of the challenges of this trip is the local pizza... it's really good and a "small" comes on 1 plate, but it's a really big plate and it's really too much. Ideally for satiety, one would eat about 3/4, but actually I think half would be a better choice. So my goal will be to eat only 1/2 a pizza and take the rest home. This is unless it's doubling for 2 meals, like if I missed lunch or something. We'll see how it goes.
Today was an S day, suffice it to say I had a too heavy snack in the am and a big lunch, but it's all OK.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:36 am

All went well with trip to the other location for work. So far I have been more undereating than overeating.
I couldn't find a good breakfast place open this morning, so am drinking milky coffee. Hope to get a good lunch later.
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:09 pm

I love that a good latte can sustain me for breakfast , if need be.

BTW, is it easy to get cooked food if you don't make it yourself? I don't keep up enough to tell if you are based in a big city or not, or what the situation is like. I know a friend of mine was in Kenya in the Peace Corps in the late '70's. He had a houseboy assigned to him by the school he taught for. Maybe it was because he was a man? Or such things are passe now? It was considered to be a good way to support the economy at the time.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:58 pm

Hi oolala- Yeah, the whole issue of having house workers is controversial. I am among those who aren't so sure it helps the local economy all that much. The main reason I don't have one, is that I love my privacy and hate to have someone rustling around in my space if I can help it. Second to that, it feels very colonial and weird. It's better if the organization one works for provides someone, too, in that they are then the employer. There are all kinds of complications otherwise, liability for medical/hospital/dental bills, high expectations that you will take the worker to your home country in the end, etc. etc.
These days there are more cafes opening up and it's possible to get breakfast or a snack pretty easily, without having to prepare it. There are also more local restaurants, street food, etc. than before, so it's pretty much impossible to starve, unless you don't have money.

I have come down with a bad cold. It's funny... I usually have a big appetite for food, with or without the presence of actual hunger. Now I have no interest in the food, but have a gnawing feeling in my stomach (probably real hunger!) and want to avoid getting light headed so am trying to eat enough to keep me going, but not much enjoying it!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:35 pm

Well, I still feel miserable, but my appetite is a little bit better. Had a pasta dish for lunch, and am getting hungry for supper (5:30 pm). One more work day and then the weekend, yay! I don't have any S's particularly planned, but look forward to some rest.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:54 pm

I hope you feel better soon and glad to here you have a free weekend!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:13 pm

Thanks Linda!
Yesterday I took some allergy medicine (given to me from the pharmacy, I didn't know exactly what it was) because my cold was bothering me so much. It gave me really bad dreams, but my nose is getting break from running constantly.
S day- Skipped breakfast and had a whole "small" mushroom & olive pizza at lunch. I haven't been eating a huge volume of food, but it's been pretty dense stuff. Can't tell that I've lost any weight this past week, but I'm on habit. I haven't had any sugar.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Doing OK here... had a small breakfast and a too big lunch (restaurant portion of things that don't reheat well for taking home). Thinking about skipping supper as I did last night.
I haven't been able to find the usual whole wheat bread that used to be available here. I really prefer it to the while stuff, and I think it makes me feel better, though that may be in my head!
Happy start of the N week to all.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:55 am

Nothing much new here. I am eating my regular meals, no sweets. Because there is too much restaurant food involved, I am eating too heavy plates and feel like I might be gaining a little bit of weight. The only milk for coffee here is whole. (The only bread here is white, etc.)
I will be back to where there are more fruits and veggies on Oct 9th. There is actually a drought here, and people are starting to suffer. There is not much fresh stuff in the markets.
I think I will try to make October 9th-November 9th an "eat from the pantry" month and see if I can make a game out of ONLY buying fresh stuff to go with what I have on hand. I think I will be in the mood to rise to the challenge.
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:50 am

program error. can't delete
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

can't delete. program error
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

can't delete. program error
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:51 am

program error
Last edited by oolala53 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:51 am

Think I caught your cold. It hasn't stopped me from eating.

I can understand the "help" issue. My Peace Corps friend's houseboy in Kenya was hired by the school he worked for. But it sounds like there are good options.

You remind me to use up my stores.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:10 am

Hi ooolala- Hope you're over your cold by now. Mine dragged on, but wasn't so intense that I had to miss any work, and for that I'm thankful. (Glad mine's over now!) I haven't had too much luck just using up my stores so far, but am going to try to start today!
Pretty much business as usual most days. I had a red day Friday, drinking 2 cokes and eating a banana muffin. That was all that was available in a local airport where the flight was 3 hours late and then later when they didn't have bottled water at the restaurant where I ate a late lunch. It had the advantage of keeping me from getting a caffeine withdrawl headache, since I didn't have access to my usual coffee!
Fine S days over the weekend. I enjoyed my food. Got to a scales and found that I have not lost or gained an ounce over the past 3 weeks. Proof once again that I have to do something to control the "what" on my plates, as near perfect NoS compliance is not enough to get me back to healthy BMI range.
Went to a 3 year old birthday celebration- just a few neighbor kids and 2 adults besides the parents. The mom made a cake that looked to me like 1/2 normal cake mix and it was very lightly frosted and decorated with strawberries. So we were each given 1 small slice of cake and a few oven fries and a few handfuls of popcorn. This is a naturally thin family I have mentioned before. I am just amazed that they feel no deprivation from the size portions they serve and consume. And they are teaching their kids that a taste of something is just as good as gorging on it! I love my childhood memories of having several large slices of my own birthday cake if I wanted it, and I was a very thin child, but perhaps this is a more healthy thing to teach kids-? It's just so foreign to me!
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:05 pm

Sounds a little odd to me too. Mostly because I'd want a little more to offer guests. Maybe it's just a money issue?

Anyway sorry you haven't lost but glad you're not gaining either. I was doing nos for about a year with almost near perfect compliance and I didn't lose a whole lot. Still I cured my obsessive thinking about food and developed a strong 3 meal habit so it was time well spent. Once I felt ready to take it to the next level, I focused on the what and how much aspects of my plates (and cups) and the weight started coming off.

I really was resisting having to do this but once I was ready it was no big deal at all. Funny what you can get used to. Eating less & lighter seems normal & enjoyable now. Anyway just wait till you feel ready but I have the feeling you don't have much weight to lose anyway?

Linda

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi Linda, Thanks for stopping by. The issue is partially financial, and partly just a matter of labor. Everything here has to be made from scratch, cleanup is hand-washing dishes, etc. So when you think of supplying 3 meals for the family plus whatever for guests, it is a lot of work. Thus people seem to understand if somebody doesn't go all out for an occasion.
Someone at my house brought in 4 larger dinner plates with matching coffee cups which are now sitting in the cupboard. Our normal plates are 9", made in Bavaria. The new ones are from Malaysia (I haven't measured them yet). I ate my normal amount of food for lunch (judging by how it fit in my small non-stick pan) and it looked pretty paltry on the new plate. It's funny how much of a difference that makes in perception!
So far the day is a good N day, and I don't foresee any problems with compliance this evening. I'm meeting a friend for coffee at 5pm, and plan to get an unsweetened latte. If she wants to split a sandwich, I'll call that supper, or I'll eat something light, later this evening.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:03 pm

Today was fine (Green). I had lunch on one of the large new plates, and supper was potato chips and barley bread sticks, but it was one plate's worth. I won't win any nutrition awards for today. Yesterday was a little bit better, but the 1/2 club sandwich I had for supper with a few fries and pita triangles was a little bit heavy, now that I think of it.
Anyway, I've been eating more fruit and vegetables, and have just bought some others, so hope to have a more interesting lunch tomorrow.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:49 pm

B: instant coffee w/powdered milk, peanuts, choc-banana protein powder "shake"
L: black beans, white Jasmine rice, bok choy/red pepper/mushrooms, peanuts, green tea
S: salmon salad w/mayo, quinoa, grated carrots, 1/2 grapefruit, 5 prunes

Well, this was kind of a hungry/fidgety day, but I have closed the kitchen after supper, so I hope I can call it Green! I ate the kind of food I'd like to eat all of the time- lots of healthy vegetables, plenty of fiber and good nutrition. The thing is, when 1/2 or more of the plate is veg, I get hungry a bit too much before the next meal time. But I'll take the adjustment back to a better balanced plate one day at a time. "Rome wasn't built in a day", and all of that.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:56 am

Your food looks great! You will definitely adjust to eating lighter food. Hope you made it through today green!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Thanks, Linda.
S Day...
B: instant coffee w/milk powder, choc-banana protein powder "shake", peanuts, few stale macadamia nuts (blek)
L: burger, fries, ketchup/special sauce, sm choco-brownie ice cream cone
Snack: 1 bread stick, potato chips, rose-hip tea
S: sm bag potato chips
I am making today an S day and trading it for tomorrow (Saturday). I hope to have some good food tomorrow, but don't think it will need to be anything requiring seconds, etc. Today I took a friend out for a late birthday lunch, and she wanted to stop by her favorite ice cream stand on the way home. This didn't seem like the time to enforce my "no added sugar rule", as they don't have coffee or tea at this place, it was just the two of us, and it was for her birthday, sigh.
I can tell a difference in how I feel after eating sweets, and I think I will still work at slowly moving toward more strictly enforcing my boundaries. I have started with the low hanging fruit, of not buying any sweets, avoiding the desert table at meetings/pot lucks and only accepting something sweet if it's personally offered. I think the next step is working it into the conversation with new acquaintances early on, and politely declining what is offered early on to set the tone. Maybe another year I'll be able to enforce a "no tolerance" policy.
I got to weigh in today and I am 2.2# down this week. It could be just water weight, but I'll take it!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:15 pm

I had my 3 meals today, so it was a successful trade of S/N days Fri/Sat this week. We had a 19 hour power outage, so there is some food in the fridge that is on shaky ground. I'm glad at times like this that I keep a nearly vegan kitchen at my home. The powdered milk is an big exception to the vegan part, but that doesn't spoil.
Not much news here. It is great to read the check-ins of many who are new-ish to NoS and finding great success with the system!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:20 pm

A fine day, took the "Sometimes" out, and just had my 3 meals. Went for an evening walk, as I have been doing for most of the week, and I like that habit.
For the next 2 weeks I'll be working with a team in an office, and will likely be exposed to some temptation along the line of sweets or snacks, but the way I'm feeling right now, I don't think it will be hard to say "no". I will also attempt not to overdo it with the milky coffee... I may take some herbal tea bags along so that I have something nice to drink in the afternoon break time.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:21 am

The week went pretty well. I did have 1 fail on Tues night, when I went to an evening meeting and hadn't eaten supper beforehand. I fell prey to some not great factory made cookies that were set out at the meeting, and a cup of tea. Oh, well.
Lunches have been sort of heavy, but 1 plate, and breakfasts and suppers a bit too light. My work schedule is a little bit crazy and that will continue for another week. Will try to make the best of it.
I have come down with another cold, just a month after the last one. I can't think of anything that I've been doing that would make my resistance extra low-? May just be a coincidence, with so many viruses going around. If my memory serves me, I often get sick in October here. After the rains it gets very windy and it seems like a lot of people complain of viruses around this time. I guess it's the equivalent of winter cold season in other places.
Today is an S day, and if I feel well enough, I will go to a friend's house for supper. It is nice to be able to have seconds if the main dish is something nice!
-Sonya

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:10 am

Hey, I'm sorry to hear that you have another cold - sounds like the stresses of work are part of getting vulnerable. I hope you enjoy your meal with friends - I had my first every non-weekend S day last night (Friday) when I went out for meal with friends - it was good experience. I've written about it on my daily thread.

hugs
Gill xxx
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:57 am

I saw a message that you joined the team on Spark, but it didn't show me a link to your profile page, so I couldn't welcome you on the page. Great to see you!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:54 am

It's nice to have S days. I had seconds of a very un-authentic but yummy curry over rice, and a square of banana cake at my friend's house last night. This evening I've been invited to a family's house for "dinner and an episode of Junkyard Wars", about which I know nothing. This is one of the naturally thin families I mentioned a while ago, I believe over some tortilla based lunch that left me "starving". I shudder to think of what light fare will face me this evening!
Thanks for stopping by, RAWCOOKIE. I think you make a valid point about work stress bringing down my resistence. Not sure what to do about that, but I think that what you say is true!
Thanks oolala. I did try to join the NoS team on SparkPeople, after reading what you wrote on Linda's thread. I am stuck with an awful internet connection, and to participate fully on that board, I think I'd need more bandwidth. I'll try to post something soon and see if I can get it to work. I enjoyed reading a couple of the threads there. I think an advantage there is that everyone can comment on the one thread, and you don't have to go to a bunch of different check in threads to see how people are doing. I do find it easier to get pages to change here, though, so we'll see if I can manage both. I think it's great that you're leading over there, and it was FUN to see photos of our beautiful colleagues, oolala and RAWCOOKIE!!
Last edited by osoniye on Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sonya

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi Sonya,

I hope your dinner isn't too, too sparse. Perhaps they look upon dinner as their "heavy' meal of the day and the offering will be a bit more substantial. Otherwise, any chance you can use drinks to help fill you up? Of course, I don't know what they have but I often find milky drink to be pretty filling.

Good luck!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:01 pm

I think I'll start a daily chat thread here on No S. People can double post on it and their thread, if they want.

I read about an American (I think) woman living in France with her kids who went to an event at someone's house where a tray of little chocolates were served. She was embarrassed to realize that no one else took more than one while she had popped three in her mouth in the same time it took them to eat theirs.

Another ex-pat reported on how the French would buy a cake or something for a Sunday event with a group. Small portions and no leftovers or seconds. DONE until the next week.

Antoerh story about a Norwegian family, I think, visiting the States and ordering ONE sundae in an ice cream shop that the whole family shared.

So it's basically cultural. The human body can tolerate many customs of eating and eating a lot less than we're used to.

That being said, I had plenty of over-the-top S days in my first 2.5 years.

Since it's an S day, I hope you felt free to eat something before you visited the small-volume eaters!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:05 pm

Re: Spark People - the website is very 'heavy' on bandwidth - the ads and visuals take ages to load. I've got an adblocker on my computer which helps, but often I have to sit and wait for the pages to load.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Hi Sonja - thanks for commenting on my thread - I hope you get to a place where you feel less compelled to carry on eating 'because it's there'.......... there's no magic formula is there - sadly - but No S has brought me to this point - I couldn't even be in the same house as a packet of biscuits (cookies) before No S!

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:25 pm

Good point about there being no magic formula. When I go through tough phases, I always think in the middle, WHAT is going to stop me? It's never predictable.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks for stopping by, gingerpie! The meal last Sunday evening was adequate. It turned out the tween daughter made dinner- it wasn't the best pasta dish I'd ever eaten but there was a big pot of it. The tween son is one I've mentioned before, whose mom says he is a bottomless pit. He and I dug in for seconds, and we were the only ones. A tiny portion of homemade applesauce served as dessert. All good.

Thanks for sharing the scanty servings from around the world thoughts, oolala. My expectations are set from childhood, and somehow that seems like "normal", though it's not really, for the rest of the world.

Thanks, RAWCOOKIE- I hope I get to a place where I feel less compelled to carry on eating 'because it's there'. Not sure what that will take for me! It helps to limit it to platefulls, but S days and heavy plates need to be brought in to something sensible, too!

I'm still sick with a sore throat and cold. The throat is on day 9, and I wonder if I should see a Dr. (medical care here is lousy). I'm eating raw garlic at regular intervals, hoping for the penicillin effect.
Eating was fine this week... having little appetite helped. I took a couple days as "S is for Sick" days and had a coke with lunch and a few cookies here and there. Today is an S day, but I don't have anything too special planned. Maybe some of my favorite potato chips as a snack after supper.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:39 am

A funny victory for me- I have started to make my favorite potato chips part of my meals. It might increase the percent of unhealthy food I'm taking in, but it's a milestone for me, as this is normally a binge or red day food. To have it as part of a meal is the sort of habit I would like to cultivate. Oolala suggested I do it that way, and at the time it seemed impossible. I recently read an article about how eating that type of food with meals leads to less fatty liver disease (or some such ailment) than it does if eaten as snacks. I do have a pesky an urge to snack in the afternoon these days, and it might be the chips' fault, but I have been able to withstand it so far.
I've been spending (way too much) time on another healthy living/eating website lately. It has really brought home to me how much I like the NoS emphasis on behavioral goals. The goals of a certain number of pounds lost are all well and good, but that is not really 100% under our control. Our bodies will do what they will do. But we CAN control our behavior.
-Sonya

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:02 am

Sonya, I'm glad to see your doing well. Funny, I've been thinking of adding snack-ie food to my lunches as a way to prevent thoughts of "oh, woe is me." I haven't done it yet though because my 12 treat old junk-a-holic watches me pack my lunch and I don't want her to get the idea that she needs "snacks" in her lunch. So, I've just been sucking it up and making myself wait. Let me know if the method works for you.

I agree with you regarding the no-s mentality. Focusing on habit seems to fit me so much better than focusing on weight loss. For me, I think it is because learning the habit automatically means I'm also learning the longterm lifestyle.A componant that is missing in so many other weight loss methods. I also really like that I'm also teaching my kids through example how to take care of themselves around food issues. - let's hope it sticks!

As always, kind regards and I hope your week goes well.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Ugh, the November challenge hasn't been working for me! So far, I have 2 red days. Oh, well, will try to do well from here on out. I will take tomorrow as a NWS day to eat freely at a friend's house for dinner. I think the only other NWS day this month will perhaps be American Thanksgiving Day.

Hi gingerpie- so far I think the junk food at meal times is not ideal for me. It went OK for a few days, but that is just not satisfying food, and it seems to give me kind of a careless attitude toward nutrition. Then it's easier to break one of the NoS habits. For now, I think I'll skip the chips. Maybe try again later.
-Sonya

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:46 pm

it seems to give me kind of a careless attitude toward nutrition. Then it's easier to break one of the NoS habits.
Yes, I totally get what you mean. It does seem that my meals should be both healthful and satisfying. Not just satisfying. I have the same reaction to exercise. Good exercise leads to better food choices and good food choices lead to better exercise. Oh, what a tangle to try to unweave :roll:

Hope you have a good day today.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:09 am

Thanks gingerpie!

Feeling ready to get back to the NoS habits today. I think it was wise to take a NWS day yesterday. After 2 failures, it felt good to enjoy good meals and extras with no restrictions or shame. Today my head is in a much better place, and I am also not being exposed to free snacks at meetings as I was on Wednesday, which was my undoing.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:04 pm

Great job knowing when you need to step back & take a little break. I need that too sometimes.

Have a great day!

Linda

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:42 pm

When we find out that certain foods are just not satisfying from experience, rather than that someone told us it's a junk food, it's much more powerful! And if it IS still satisfying, we can have it, knowing it's only part of the meal part of the time, most likely. All it takes is honesty...
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Thanks a bunch for stopping by, Linda and Oolala!

Long day on the bus brought me back to where I usually live and work. It was nice to have an S day, though I've only had a 5g sugar sweet thing as an S today.
I'm eating kind of a snacky supper, and may have another snack later if I want to.
I followed NoS on the 2 week trip, but some portion sizes were a bit large. I wonder if I will have lost any weight by my weigh-in! That will either be tomorrow or next weekend.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:38 am

Well, here it is Thanksgiving Day!
I plan to go to a potluck this evening, so the day seems to be playing out as a sort of moderate S day. I had a heavy plate of my usual fare for breakfast, and then a large bowl of salad with a banana for lunch. The potluck is at 6pm, but I imagine we won't really eat until closer to 7pm, as there is a short program. I plan to enjoy a heavy plate of food (because I actually enjoy 1 heavy plate of food and how I feel afterwards) and fruit salad as dessert (because I don't actually enjoy the food coma that comes from eating pie).
I'm not obligated to eat until I'm in pain or feeling unwell, even if it is a traditional feast day. This is kind of news to me, but I'm going to give it a try. I might not do as well if I were visiting with a family (any family) and there was to be food prepared by somebody's grandmother. But at a potluck, it's doable.
I remember a couple of years ago, my uncle and I decided to start the day off with pie for breakfast(!), and then we skipped lunch so we would have good appetites for the late afternoon meal. Then we pigged out. I remember feeling mostly unwell for the vast majority of the day. There is no advantage to that!!
Wishing each one of you a very Happy Thanksgiving, however moderately you choose to spend it!
-Sonya

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:35 pm

Hi Sonja - Happy Thanksgiving - your plan sounds good.

Thanks for stopping by my blog - nice to see your comment there.

I have now stopped enjoying being 'stuffed' with food. I think that because I eat three times a day now - my appetite is smaller and I really don't tolerate over-eating now. I like your description of the 'heavy' plate.
Last edited by RAWCOOKIE on Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:00 pm

I think your uncle and your plan wasn't that bad until the pig out at the end of the day. Long gaps don't have to be followed by overeating. Perhaps there'll be a chance at some point to experiment again.

Hope you enjoyed all your eating yesterday!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi Sonja - My visitors are my brother and sister-in-law, and they are healthy eaters and happy to eat vegetarian/vegan with me. But I think things like chocolates and alcohol are likely to figure more prominently with them around. But I'm still in control of what I eat - I won't go over-the-top buying special things.

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks for stopping by Oolala and Rawcookie!
I'm glad your relatives are happy to eat your healthy way over the hols, Rawcookie, but yeah, alcohol can be a bit of a game changer.

I had 2 large plates today, no S's. I enjoyed my meals very much!

Feeling a little bit under the weather again, which is annoying, as I've been sick off and on, and mostly resting in the house/rental room for the past 4 Saturdays. I took a second course of antibiotics at a Dr's advice, but here I am a week later with a sore throat and feeling yucky again. I wonder if this is allergies, as there are a lot of flowers out here now, but I've never had a sore throat from allergies before. I'm taking allergy meds and I guess time will tell.
-Sonya

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:50 pm

Hey Sonya, just stopping by to say hi. I'm sorry to hear you are feeling icky again. - hope you have a nice week.

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:36 am

Thanks, gingerpie!

Had a good eating weekend. I've been lucky that the 2 Christmas events I've been to so far (Friday night and Sunday afternoon) have had plenty of nice savory foods, so there hasn't been any temptation to eat things with added sugar just to be satisfied. I really do feel better physicallly if I do not eat sweets, so that is my goal, but at some events in the past, most things on offer have been sweets. So I guess it's just a lucky year. (I despise eating before an event and then not being hungry enough to enjoy the food that's there. That is one strategy that does not work for me at all!!)
I was eating some cashews at the Sunday event and broke a crown that I've only had for about 4 years. I have a crown on the other side for 15+ years, and I am deeply annoyed that the last dentist used a more fragile type of material. I don't want to go back to him for more shoddy work. Going anywhere is not much of an option until March when I'm in the US again for a month. I don't really trust the local dentists unless I am really in a bind, and I don't yet assess this as a real bind. We'll see. I am going to South Africa for a few weeks later this month, so if I really need to get this dealt with, I may try it there.
-Sonya

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:42 am

Oh geez so annoying about your tooth! I hope it doesn't bother you too much in the interim.

I agree with you, I never understood eating before a party. It really takes away the satisfaction of sharing foods with friends which I think is a very important part of being human.

Have a great week!

Linda

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:30 am

Sorry about your tooth. I had one crack apart while on a trip to Bali. I was lucky that there was no pain. I ended up going quite awhile before I had to do anything about it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:30 am

Hi Sonya - I just saw this over on the December Challenge check-in thread and loved it!
Decided to keep 13th green and use the S day for whenever I need it- kind of a "get out of jail free card"! Freely floating S days don't work for me (too much flexibility), but trading has worked in the past."
I'll store that idea away for myself as I think it would work for me too.[/quote]

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:54 am

Thanks for stopping by, Linda and oolala with commiseration about the tooth. At least it isn't causing any pain so far.
Glad you like the get out of jail free S day idea, Rawcookie! Thanks for dropping by!

I'm off on for some travel, to South Africa this evening. I'm looking forward to the change of scene.
I've been doing fine on NoS. It has been good to keep up with the December challenge page. I have moved a few S days around. I have traded some uneventful weekend days for cookie eating days during the week. That has worked super well.
I'm looking forward to the holidays. I will be traevelling from Dec 19-Jan 9th. I will be spending time with a friend (former colleague) in my time off. Will try to keep the glass ceiling to 2 drinks per day throughout the trip. I plan to take Dec 25, 31 and Jan 4th as NWS days.
The problem comes in the meals. All meals will be eaten out, and there is no fridge to store things where I'll be staying, so keeping leftovers will not be an option. So that means I'll need to be ordering a reasonable meal 3 times per day at restaurants and the guesthouse (free breakfasts). I don't have an expense account or anything, and I am loath to waste food, so it would be good to have some sort of a plan to be economical, eat nutritious food, avoid overeating and avoid waste. I can imagine that some days I can order soup for lunch and a salad for supper, but that doesn't seem like something that I would find feasable every day. I'm thinking of maybe something like alternating heavy and light eating days or heavy and light meails-? Just not sure how to plan it out. I really don't want to come back 5# heavier having achieved perfect compliance technically, but just having eaten too much food!
Anyway, I am committing to the minimum requirement of 3 meals, no snacks, no sweets, on my N days. Hoping to come home weighing what I do now.
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Consider the option of possibly one really "full" meal per day. Give a lot of attention to how much better you feel between meals to compensate for some of the fun of eating more at more meals. Let's hope there are some great soups or appetizers!

Other than this wrinkle, sounds like a great trip! And it's the beginning of summer, right?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:45 am

Things are mostly going OK with NoS travel. I've eating my meals and they are usually heavier than at home, but it hasn't been a disaster.
I only went over my glass ceiling twice ( one time being 3 smallish beers yesterday). My treats so far have been seconds of really yummy Indian food at Christmas lunch, and then a couple of iced coffee drinks on S days. I feel like I am gaining weight from the generally heavy meals, but I don't think it will be too much. I am so glad I haven't been buying snack foods, or having cake as dessert or with coffee. No candy either! That is unheard of when I am traveling.
On the overnight bus from Joburg, just had a couple of sandwiches I'd packed and a box of guava juice.
The sushi here has been really nice (virtual plating!) and I've really enjoyed the holiday so far. Planning a tour with wine tasting on New Year's day, and may get my hair cut later this morning.
Hope everyone has had a good Christmas, and will enjoy some moderate New Year's festivities!
-Sonya

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:10 pm

I love Indian food, too. Were the iced coffee drinks commercial ones?

I've sometimes felt I was gaining just because I have felt full more often. It hasn't been a reliable feeling for me. Sometimes I have gained and sometimes not! Ah, the mysterious body.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:14 am

Glad things are going well. Sounds like a fun time! Happy nye!

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:53 am

Thanks for stopping by, Linda and oolala. Yes, the coffee drinks were at a couple of cafe's. And yes, it is the beginning of summer there, but it was SO HOT, it's hard to think it's the beginning! (It was in the 102-104 F degree range some days- not ideal for touring the gardens, so we cut that part a bit short!)
I got back yesterday afternoon. There was a glitch involving the incoming plane arriving late and then a further delay due to weather, so I missed a connecting flight. I spent the night cooling my heels in Nairobi. They gave a hotel voucher, but by the time I got to the hotel it was after 1am, and the pickup time in the morning was 5am. It took a while to check in, by which time the staff had put together a light meal, so I decided to stay up and eat since I had not eaten lunch and supper on the plane was very light. After eating and taking a shower, there was just about time for a 1 hour nap and then to get dressed again and check out. Needless to say, I took a very long nap yesterday afternoon when I got home. Just ate a couple of snacks for meals.
Today I'm tired but trying to get back to something normal as far as what I'm eating. I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and have some beans cooking on the stove.
I will not weigh in for a while. I really like the idea of staying on habit, and it being OK that sometimes I will weigh more when I'm eating heavy meals and sometimes less when I'm eating lighter meals. I am really happy that I stayed on habit while traveling and am determined not to be discouraged by my clothes being a little bit tighter. That will hopefully take care of itself.
I did not buy any candy to bring back with me, and that is a huge achievement. Since I wasn't eating it there, it did not really occur to me to buy a bunch at the end to bring back. That is usually my undoing, as far as being tempted to eat candy on N days after a trip! The foodstuff I did carry back includes mushrooms, fresh dill and basil, decaf coffees, creamer, wasa crackers, a bag of nuts and rye bread. It feels good to have a small supply of special food, and it's nothing that is going to bring on a binge or tempt me to have a red day.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:51 pm

Taking an S day tomorrow for my birthday.
Not sure how to spend the day, or what the S should be. The friends I would normally see on such an occasion are out of town or have guests from home countries that they are ferrying around. Another friend lost her nephew in a tragic accident on New Year's, and is working on getting a visa to the UK, so it looks like I very well my be on my own.
There are fun places to go for lunch that I think I could enjoy on my own... may do Indian again, to keep the year consistent, as that's what I did on Christmas. We'll see.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:41 am

Wound up not really celebrating ON my birthday. Through a series of events, it became necessary for me to clean the house. Not my first choice, but I'm thankful for another year of life and all that it contains.
Today I am celebrating my birthday late with friends across town at lunch time. Also starting to consume a dark chocolate bar that I got as a late Christmas present.
Enjoying the S day and hope all of you are too!
-Sonya

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Happy Belated Birthday!
And I hope that saved-up chocolate was as lovely as you hoped it would be :D

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:38 am

Thanks so much RawCookie! Yes the French chocolate is great- just finished off the 125g bar this morning (Sunday).
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:49 pm

I'm doing fine here, with work generated travel for a couple of weeks. I felt really tired when I arrived, so had beans on pita for lunch/supper at 4pm, and got plenty of sleep with an evening nap and then full night's sleep. (The night before had been to bed at 11 pm and up at 3 am, to get ready for the trip- then the flight was delayed so I was up for a long time, for absolutely nothing!) It's good to feel recovered from the trip now.
I would like to keep the pizza to a weekend treat, but I did eat a small one last night (leftovers for breakfast). My appetite is pretty healthy, and I'm trying to eat just enough so that I lost some of my Christmas travel belly (I haven't weighed in). Today for lunch was steak tartare and a false banana bread like thing. (It's pretty good, local food here). I eat a lot more meat in this location than elsewhere!
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:49 pm

I don't feel like I'm losing weight, though I've been following NoS very well. I guess I need to gravitate toward lighter plates again, but I'm not really looking forward to that.
I had a good glazed doughnut yesterday as an S day treat, as well as a rather large plate of chicken and chips. Today I ate a big meal at 3pm. I like the flexibility of S days.
Not sure how to get the N day plates under control, and may wait till I'm back in my primary location on Feb 6th to worry about it. It will likely involve more fresh fruit (not just bananas) at breakfasts and more veggies at other meals. I don't always enjoy the prep work, but hope to get some enthusiasm going.
-Sonya

natj

Post by natj » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:19 am

Hi,

Just wanted to stop in and say that while I can't offer enthusiasm, I can offer some empathy- I know exactly how you are feeling! I'm hoping that this "slow down" in results/focus/whatever it is results from carryover from the holiday season- who knows? I'm not sure if that makes you feel any better, but at any rate, I'll keep checking in with you in the hopes that either one or both of us are doing better. :)

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:57 am

Thanks so much for the empathy, natj! I hope we can both get past this soon.
-Sonya

osoniye

Post by osoniye » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:12 am

Had a red day Monday. Stupidly, over a bite of not very good chocolate. Don't know what was up with that... it was in this sparkly wrapper, you see...
-Sonya