Shovelglove for Girls?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Christine

Shovelglove for Girls?

Post by Christine » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Hi,

During my brief introduction to No S and Shovelglove and everything all at once, I haven't seen any females posting here during a quick browse. Anybody out there? I thought I'd start out with an 8-pounder, does that sound right? I'd just like to know what to expect because I think this sounds pretty cool for me to do.

Thanks!
I'm a Mac

finallyfull

sexism!

Post by finallyfull » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Yes, I am a girl, and I've been thinking alot about this since I tried and failed with the sledgehammer -- I'm kind of weak and it was too much. So, call me sexist, but I suggest an alternate program for women using a cast iron skillet instead of a sledgehammer. Its kind of heavy, but it's something I use everyday. I do lifts over my head, (putting things on shelves), "rock the baby" "smack the husband" and whatever the imagination comes up with.

How do you like it?

Christine

Post by Christine » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Hi Finally, Yep, I have an iron skillet which I use all the time, but never thought to use it for exercise! Maybe I'll try that. Haven't tried the sledgehammer yet, so I don't know if I like it or not (yet)!
I'm a Mac

newnoser

Post by newnoser » Wed May 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Thanks for this idea! I am so bored with all other exercises and was just reading about shovelglove and I noticed what you did, there is definitely a lack of females participating. I might give the old skillet a try, but I had been debating an 8lb hammer, too. I know we have one in the garage, but I bet its more than 8!

Sixty

Post by Sixty » Thu May 03, 2012 7:49 am

It doesn't really matter whether you use a sledgehammer or a cast iron skillet - the benefits accrue from actually doing SOMETHING for 14 minutes every N-day. Once you establish a exercise routine, you might even enjoy switching among a hammer or a skillet or whatever might be lying around at the moment just to add a little variety (I've even used a chair). I think it's very important to use a timer to limit yourself to 14 minutes. Be patient - it takes many months before you will notice any changes in how you look & feel.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Wed May 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Hi I'm not a girl, but when I read through the archives a long time ago, I seem to remember most females started with an 8# or 6# sledgehammer depending on how active they were before they started.

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu May 17, 2012 8:04 pm

The best thing about my skillet is that it's heavy enough but not too heavy, its always handy and right where I need it, it does double-duty as a thing to cook with, so no storage problem, it doesn't clutter my living room, and best of all: it's IN MY KITCHEN so when I'm poking around for a snack and in danger of slipping into red, I see it right there, and it's a very handy, easy alternative to stuffing my face.

JayEll

Post by JayEll » Tue May 22, 2012 11:11 am

I am using an actual shovel--the total weight is 4 lbs. This is just about right for me--but I overdid it a couple days in a row and made my shoulders quite sore (bursitis). Now I've had to stop completely for awhile to let things simmer down. Really, one must go slow at first.

You could also just use a short pole of some kind, like a painting extension pole. Even though it has no weight on the end, you still are doing the movements and getting benefits.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue May 22, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm totally into the skillet, as can be seen in my original "during."

http://nosdiet.com/beforeafter.html

I've actually used it as a shovelglove myself a few times, just to mix things up a bit (and I use it daily often multiple times a day for its primary purpose).

Sledge and skillet, the sword and shield of shovelglove.

Reinhard

jules

Post by jules » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:07 am

I started with an 8# hammer. Never increased, and then dropped it toally for all too long. On Monday, I will begin anew with the 8 lb. hammer.

Women can definitely use 8 lb hammer. For the moves that seems too heavy, I choke up on the handle a wee bit.

jules

Leannarobertsons

Post by Leannarobertsons » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:40 pm

Sixty wrote:It doesn't really matter whether you use a sledgehammer or a cast iron skillet - the benefits accrue from actually doing SOMETHING for 14 minutes every N-day. Once you establish a exercise routine, you might even enjoy switching among a hammer or a skillet or whatever might be lying around at the moment just to add a little variety (I've even used a chair). I think it's very important to use a timer to limit yourself to 14 minutes. Be patient - it takes many months before you will notice any changes in how you look & feel.

Couldnt have said it any better:]
Lea

Leannarobertsons

Post by Leannarobertsons » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

Sixty wrote:It doesn't really matter whether you use a sledgehammer or a cast iron skillet - the benefits accrue from actually doing SOMETHING for 14 minutes every N-day. Once you establish a exercise routine, you might even enjoy switching among a hammer or a skillet or whatever might be lying around at the moment just to add a little variety (I've even used a chair). I think it's very important to use a timer to limit yourself to 14 minutes. Be patient - it takes many months before you will notice any changes in how you look & feel.

Couldnt have said it any better:]
Lea

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:32 pm

ahhh! I SO want to try this with a cast iron skillet! I own one, but not a sledge hammer. (Budget it limited right now.) I assume we can use the same routines as the shovelglove, but replace it with the skillet?
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 191.8 (-18.6 lbs)
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:26 pm

Sure. It won't have quite the same effect because of the weight distribution, but that's a minor point for now. Just hold on tight. I doubt you'll need to wrap it with a sweater.

I use regular old weights I've had for years when I actually do it. I vary 10- and 15-lb ones on heavy days and lighter ones on days I do more reps.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

TUK

Post by TUK » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:38 am

I started shovelgove one week ago, with a 9# sladgehammer. In a previous attempt earlier this year, I was using 10# weights that are lying around in my house.

This is definitely different, and I like the sledgehammer better, because you make way more efforts not harming your back, and make slower moves.

Klutzy

Post by Klutzy » Tue May 14, 2013 1:46 pm

I'm old and weak. I'll start with a broom or umbrella and work my way up to the skillet. I doubt I'll ever use a sledge! I walk almost every day anyway so this is mostly for upper body strength rather than calorie burn.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:27 pm

Sammybunny above thought so, too. Let us know how it goes.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

SuperMysteryCat

Post by SuperMysteryCat » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:41 pm

Okay, I started with a cast iron skillet yesterday. This morning I skipped because of soreness, even though as I was doing it yesterday morning I kept thinking that I wasn't getting any kind of workout.

When you all started, did you just do it every day despite soreness, or was anyone more gradual? I thought it might be good to do it three days a week for a little while and then add days. I know the habit part is important, so I did go outside and stand in the yard for 14 minutes this morning. ;)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:22 pm

I think it's OK not to dive right into 5 days a week right off the bat. Habit is important, but injury avoidance is even more important. And I think you'll be surprised at how quickly your muscles acclimate to the demands of shovelglove -- it won't be many weeks before 5 days seems just fine.

I should note that even now I don't do all 5 days at equal intensity. I tend to start out my week with a couple very intense days, then go a little easier the next three. But I do always (almost always) do 5 days of something for the sake of keeping the habit intact.

finallyfull

Post by finallyfull » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:49 pm

I haven't checked the shovelglove site in a year probably (because I've been a supersloth, as usual, lifting only books and coffee), but I really want to be reasonably strong, and lo and behold, my skillet idea is alive. I'm taking it as a sign that I need to pick up Shovelglove on my N Days (but with my skillet).

Have I mentioned that cast iron skillets, which have gone the way of moderate eating in many homes, is also the number one best cooking thing in my house? Love it!

I hope staying with this habit does not take as many failures as No S took me before I found success.

This time next year, I will be moderately strong!!

SuperMysteryCat

Post by SuperMysteryCat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:29 pm

finallyfull wrote:I haven't checked the shovelglove site in a year probably (because I've been a supersloth, as usual, lifting only books and coffee), but I really want to be reasonably strong, and lo and behold, my skillet idea is alive. I'm taking it as a sign that I need to pick up Shovelglove on my N Days (but with my skillet).

Have I mentioned that cast iron skillets, which have gone the way of moderate eating in many homes, is also the number one best cooking thing in my house? Love it!

I hope staying with this habit does not take as many failures as No S took me before I found success.

This time next year, I will be moderately strong!!
I'm so glad that you're back in! Also, thank you for mentioning using a cast iron skillet. I was about to run out and get a small sledge hammer, but the skillet works great. Every muscle in my body is sore.

Klutzy68

Post by Klutzy68 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm a 66 year old woman with little upper body strength. I'm starting with a broom, weighs ~1.5 lbs. It's easy to swing around, doesn't stress any joints or muscles, and it's FUN! I have joint problems and was scared of hurting myself so I decided to start out very gently. i'll move up a pound or so when I feel ready, have my eye on some shovels and other yard tools. I agree with the statement that it's most important to do something for 14 minutes. I do it before breakfast, which supposedly raises metabolism throughout the day, and I feel energized afterwards.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:52 pm

I had a go with SG when I first started the No S diet - but I too kind of forgot about it. I think that women generally don't have as much muscle concentrated in the upper body - therefore there's less drive to do this sort of exercise perhaps. However, reading through these posts is re-inspiring me!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:34 am

I found out about Everyday Systems from an article Krista-Scott Dixon -- author of the women's weight-lifting site Stumptuous -- wrote linking to the concept of shovelglove.

So, since I was coming from a weights background, yes, I've done shugging. I don't know much I used weighed. It was a mattock I found in my garage and I never weighed it.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Shovelglove got a lot of attention thanks to that Stumptuous article (she did a couple, actually). I'm still very grateful for it!

I took my 8 year-old daughter through all the moves yesterday. It was fun, and she's strong for her age, but I may have to find something a bit lighter than the 8-pounder (my demo hammer for newbies) we were using.

Reinhard

Ray E

Post by Ray E » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Shovelglove works overtime if you can stick with it. I'm 51 and people ask if I lift weights when all I do is SG plus some pushups and pullups. I alternate between the 16 and 20 pounders.

15 minutes or less a day is so beneficial yet this is in such contrast to the "must move one hour/day" mantra we hear. Whenever I read this I'm reminded of Winston in 1984 when he (and everyone else) are forced to perform their daily calisthenics!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:53 pm

Whenever I read this I'm reminded of Winston in 1984 when he (and everyone else) are forced to perform their daily calisthenics!
And perhaps by extension the iconic apple 1984 ad where the heroine hurls a sledgehammer into the big brother screen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axSnW-ygU5g

mastermesh

Post by mastermesh » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:14 pm

mini-sledges might be a good idea for those of us that can't handle full size sledge hammers, or are just looking for something different to try out.

I bought a couple of them from wal-mart recently and am starting to use them more or less like clubbells... this is in addition to using a 12 lb sledge for regular shovel glove stuff.

I also have that ol school heavy jack handle I mentioned a while back that I'm going to use to do some 'spear' and 'bo' type training eventually. I need to paint it first though since it's old red paint that my grandfather had put on there is always coming off in my hands when I try to use it currently.

The samuari moves have me interested in some other techniques... possibly using the sledge as broadsword and the minis as knives.

bunsofaluminum

Re: sexism!

Post by bunsofaluminum » Sun May 15, 2016 6:00 pm

finallyfull wrote:Yes, I am a girl, and I've been thinking alot about this since I tried and failed with the sledgehammer -- I'm kind of weak and it was too much. So, call me sexist, but I suggest an alternate program for women using a cast iron skillet instead of a sledgehammer. Its kind of heavy, but it's something I use everyday. I do lifts over my head, (putting things on shelves), "rock the baby" "smack the husband" and whatever the imagination comes up with.

How do you like it?
This! I was going to see if my BF has a sledgehammer tucked away in his stuff, but I have a lovely big cast iron skillet...like, a four quart?...I think... well, this means I can start with shovelglove (skilletglove?) tomorrow!...my starting day for NoS :idea:

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:37 pm

I just use regular weights I had around from previous fitness/weight loss attempts. I went with the ethic of what was on hand. I'm making progress with them! I've spent so much on this stuff over the years that I have banned myself from any purchases until I've been at it consistently for six months at least. Then I'll see what I think I need, if anything.

I do have cast iron skillets, but I have to say there is a real advantage to having the weight more concentrated rather than spread out, just as there are some advantages to the sledgehammer with its weight at the end of a long handle, or as with kettlebells with their shape, if you were ever into them. But all in due time. Make do as long as you can.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri May 20, 2016 1:00 pm

ok, another girl getting ready to shovelglove!

i have tried it with a hockey stick and broom... both are too light but the broom feels a bit heavier and distribution of weight is better... just giving myself the time to get the feel of the moves... it is fun... and while im at it i sweep the floors a bit with the broom after... :D

i will gift myself with the sledgehammer (4kg/8.8lbs) as a reward if/when i make it through the 21days of noS challenge...

update:
ok, i have actually had to do something about the weight because the broom was just too light... so i have taped a plastic waterbottle filled with water to it untill i get my shovelglove... and the broom i decided to use is toy-broom from when my son was a small boy... sledgehammer shaped, long and thick handle and pretty good quality so it'll do for now...
BMI: 18.8
Body Fat %: 17.6
in it for maintenance and, more importantly, sanity!!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 27, 2016 2:22 pm

Welcome!

My eight year old daughter is champing at the bit to do shovelglove, but I'm a little hesitant to let her at the hammer just yet.

I am confident that in just a few more years we'll have another eager female practitioner reporting from the field.

Best of luck -- I've see full-length hammers as light as six pounds, so maybe not too far off at the rate you're going!

Reinhard

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Fri May 27, 2016 7:45 pm

hey, maybe an improvised "sledgehammer" with water/sand bottle(s) can be a solution for your daughter even now?

for sure no big hammers to wield for children! :lol:

i got myself and 4kg/8.8lbs one... the only size i could find, actually...
it is heavy! :shock:
but i can do it at a slower pace... and havent tried all 14 mins with it... but i plan to do some mintues with it... and then the remaining minutes up to 14 with the lighter, improvised one... to get the habit rolling...

kaalii

Post by kaalii » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:08 am

update: already after 2-3 weeks into it and i could do all 14min. with the heavy sledgehammer... the toy one is actually collecting dust...
i feel and look stronger... i love it...
i'm bringing it with us in the van for holidays...
you never know, i might it need to deffend my family against the evil orcs... :D

eam531

Post by eam531 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:03 pm

I'm 60 years old and recently starting shugging. I am active and get a lot of exercise, including lifting weights. But because this is a new type of weight training, I am using a 5 pound sledge that we already own.

I'm doing the "canonical" exercises for 14 minutes--7 times on each side, as appropriate, for 2 rounds. This is definitely more fun than lifting weights at the gym!

At some point I will get a heavier sledgehammer, but I'm in no rush. I don't want to do harm my aging joints or tweak a rotator cuff. That would greatly impact my ability to practice yoga, which is the bedrock of my fitness program. I do a good hour of rather strenuous yoga 4-5 times a week, plus riding my bike and walking. I also do squats and pushups and planks.

Shugging appeals to me because it is functional and it doesn't eat up tons of time. Thanks, Reinhard, for putting this workout on my radar.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:39 pm

You are very welcome!

Glad to hear you're enjoying it and thanks for letting us know.

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:03 pm

I bought an 8 pound sledge hammer today and just finished doing the routing along with Reinhard's youtube video titled "Shovelglove: the routine of sevens (full 14 minute workout)"

A little background. I'm a 53 year old female who has never been prone to exercising, and as a result I have no upper body strength to speak of.

At the moment my arms pretty much feel like spaghetti. lol I'm not complaining at all. I'm excited to know I'm working these weak muscles into champions!

I am planning to start off a little slower and only do 7 reps of each move that I'm capable of. I could do eleven of the twelve moves in the video. The only one I had trouble with was the "hoist the sack" move. But as Reinhard said, do the moves that feel right to you. I'm sure that as I build muscle strength I'll be able to do the "hoist the sack move" also. My husband thinks I should do three days a week to start off because I have shoulder and elbow problems. He may be right, so I'm going to start off pretty slow go until I build some muscle. I think I'll do Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's for a while.

To any females my age, who have done little to no exercise, I would suggest starting off with a sledge that is less heavy. I was shopping originally for a 6 pound one, but the 8 pound was the lightest weight they had with the long handle. I considered maybe trying a 6 pound one later, but I think I'm going to give the 8 pounder a chance before making that decision.

It is fun and the time flies!

Edited: Woke up feeling pretty good this morning. I thought I'd be very sore, but no. So I'm going to possibly be able to do this every day to start. Going to try again today. At least 1 set of 7 reps for the 11 moves I'm capable of doing.
No S Restart 05/22/19

cattaillss

Post by cattaillss » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:16 pm

Traipsing through the Internet today, and I stumbled across this activity. So glad I did!! I have been doing boring things like pushups, but this...THIS!! On the way home from work we stopped at the hardware store, after calling to see if they had sledgehammers in stock. They had one 10 lb. left: 'Don't sell it! I am coming to buy it!'

I should mention when I was watching videos, I thought 'How hard can this be? I got this.' Was I ever in for a surprise. This is so hard, and so much fun! I couldn't do all 14 minutes, and my back strength will hopefully improve. I wish I had known about this earlier in my life.

FYI, I am female, 46 (47 in a month), used to be very fit 5 years ago, then got a sedentary job and stopped doing anything physical. We started eating more processed food (I was Paleo before I met my man), and that and inactivity put 25-30 pounds on me. Eating Paleo again for the last 9 months has helped me lose some of the weight, and now it is time to get strong again.

Looking forward to reading about everyone's successes and failures and tips and advice. : )

Elizabeth50

Post by Elizabeth50 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:31 pm

Cattaillss, As you may have read above, I'm also new to shovelglove, but want to welcome you aboard. It is a really fun way to exercise. I'm 53 years old and have no upper body strength and back problems from time to time. I'm doing this on the days I'm able to and LOVE it!

I bought an 8 lb. sledge and boy is it a workout! But what a non-boring way to exercise! I'm doing only 7 minutes at a time this week, increasing each week, as I'm able.

I look forward to keeping up with your success! Have fun!
No S Restart 05/22/19

sindyciaray

Post by sindyciaray » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:53 am

I have seen full length hammers as light as six pounds i found this short post

Tinsara

Post by Tinsara » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:11 am

I have seen full length hammers as light as six pounds steroids for sale
Last edited by Tinsara on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinsara sbara

jenji

Post by jenji » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:42 am

I bought an 8 lb. sledgehammer, and I've done 2 shorter SG workouts so far (about 10 minutes). I have done some strength/weights before, most recently Core Power Yoga's strength class. But I don't do strength enough. I would like to establish a routine.

I don't have a trigger yet. Like, for my morning run, I do it first thing. I wake up and see my running clothes in the corner, all ready. That's my trigger, same every day. I want to have a time every day when I do SG, but I'm not willing to get up 15 minutes earlier, so it can't be morning.

I guess I'm talking myself into the after dinner SG routine. ???
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

beginagain

Post by beginagain » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm a 58-year-old female who has a 6# sledgehammer. I want to try shovel glove because it sounds like a fun way to get strong again.