1 year with No S

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ceo418

1 year with No S

Post by ceo418 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:11 pm

Today marks my 1-year anniversary of being on the No-S Diet. My scale shows only a few pounds of weight loss, but that doesn't tell the whole story. A year ago I was deep into practicing Intuitive Eating, and although I did lose a few pounds as well doing that I was already starting to get tired of certain foods. I had found out about the No-S Diet the previous fall and just wasn't ready to commit to it, but one day I finally decided I would give it a try.

I did lose about 9 pounds the first couple of months. My clothes that had been just on the border of being too large, began to sag on me, so I knew that beyond the number on the scale there were other good things happening to my body. I managed to get through my first 21 days with no problem. And then, for the rest of 2015, it seemed like No-S became a struggle, especially with figuring out whether or not to add mods, what constituted a NWS-day, and the wildness of the weekend S-days. I gained a few pounds back, but my clothes remained loose and I learned that maybe I shouldn't trust the scale after all.

I never abandoned the No-S habits even through my struggles with them. This is the best way of eating that I have ever found, and I really appreciate that I didn't have to give up anything I liked. I just had to delay my treats for a more appropriate time. I had a hard time with the holidays. It was harder than I thought it would be to say no to a lot of good food during those times.

This January, it suddenly seemed like a No-S light switched on and the N-day habits became pretty much automatic for weeks at a time. That's when I started realizing that I needed to look at my S-days and decided on a limit of 3 S's per day, with no restrictions on birthdays or holidays. I think that will be sufficient for me. I've been successful at that for the past two weekends now. Even with the Easter candy in my cupboard, I know that I don't have to eat it all at once. And like the Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's Day treats before it, some of it might end up being wasted. That's okay with me, if it means that I can stick with my new habits.

No-S has done wonderful things for my mindset around eating and helped me to discover a strength I didn't know I had before. I can't control a lot of things in life, but I can control when I eat and how much. Looking forward, I plan to start taking a look at what's on my plate. I already exercise several days a week, so paying attention to what I eat comes next. I'd like to lose more weight, and No-S forms the basis for my ability to do that. Thank you, Reinhard, for putting this on the Internet and sharing it so all of us could learn about it!

Kittson

Post by Kittson » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Congrats one 1 year of No S! Best wishes as you continue with No S and move to a new phase of taking a look at what is on your plate.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Congratulations on your first "year on habit" and thank you for sharing this thoughtful update!

I particularly loved this bit:
No-S has done wonderful things for my mindset around eating and helped me to discover a strength I didn't know I had before. I can't control a lot of things in life, but I can control when I eat and how much.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:10 pm

Yup, I agree! Thanks for posting your update - I look forward to posting my 'first year' report when it comes around :)
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:04 am

Awesome! You're an inspiration for me to keep working at building the habit.

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:00 am

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing your story!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!