I am back...confession time

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

wxwoman

I am back...confession time

Post by wxwoman » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:30 am

I have been debating, but think it's time to post.

I started a thread in the testimonials section a while back, almost a year ago I think, about losing 10 lbs in 10 weeks. Since that time, in a nutshell, I lost another lb, went off No S, lost another 3, and was actually able to maintain my weight for a few months at this point just eating what I wanted.

About 4 months ago, my thyroid meds went out of whack and that precipitated some really bad eating. As of this past Thurs morning, I have gained back 11 lbs in the intervening time. Enough is enough!!

It is time for me to return to No S. I thought perhaps I could eat like a "normal" person, but I don't think so. Apparently I need the structure No S provides. Eliminating snacking and all the bingeing I've been doing should solve my problem.

I am a firm believer in the power of habit, and use it to my advantage in other areas of my life without any difficulty, like for exercising and practicing the piano. It is time to develop better eating habits and patiently wait for them to become second nature.

Anyway, as of this past Thursday I am back. So far so good. I have 2 N days under my belt. I am going to do what I did before and split up my S days. I will have them Wed and Sat for the most part.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:56 am

Welcome back, and thank you for writing about your experience. I'm sorry that you gained all your weight back, text-book style! but happy that you've made the decision to come back to No S. Well done on your good start!
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

wxwoman

Post by wxwoman » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:47 pm

Thanks. I started out still down net 3 lbs from where I originally started No S. So I didn't gain ALL of my weight back...just getting way too close. Anyway, I am rolling now and starting to feel a bit better already, physically and emotionally.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:01 am

Welcome back! I hear you, about the power of habit! I exercise, and I play the clarinet, so I understand. 😀

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:02 pm

Welcome back! I'm back again for the umpteenth time over the last 9 years!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

wxwoman

Post by wxwoman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:43 am

Thank you.

That's kind of why I wrote the post...to show that falling off the wagon can happen and often does, and that it's OK to mess up and just hop back on.

Today was day 6, and I am doing well so far.

Merry

Post by Merry » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:29 am

Welcome back! I'm a "returnee" as well, going on 4 months. Much better this time around. Hang in there!
Homeschool Mom and No S returnee as of 11-30-15.
2 years and counting on No-S.
29 lbs. down, 34 to go. Slow and steady wins the race.
Respect Moderation

Holocene

Re: I am back...confession time

Post by Holocene » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:50 pm

wxwoman wrote:It is time for me to return to No S. I thought perhaps I could eat like a "normal" person, but I don't think so. Apparently I need the structure No S provides. Eliminating snacking and all the bingeing I've been doing should solve my problem.
Well done on the past weight loss; good luck on the new weight loss.

I think the beauty of NoS is that it makes you eat like a normal person. It's stops us who are predisposed to grazing, snacking and bingeing from doing exactly that. Due to this habit we don't have a normal relationship with food and the structure NoS provides helps us to begin to normalise our relationship with food.
deep roots are not reached by the frost.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Welcome back!

Don't worry about not being "a normal person", on the contrary, by practicing no-s you're being actively normal. As Holocene beautifully put it:
I think the beauty of NoS is that it makes you eat like a normal person. It's stops us who are predisposed to grazing, snacking and bingeing from doing exactly that. Due to this habit we don't have a normal relationship with food and the structure NoS provides helps us to begin to normalise our relationship with food.

wxwoman

Post by wxwoman » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:26 pm

Thanks Everyone,

Yes, Holocene and Reinhard, I see exactly what you mean. That is a most helpful perspective. That sounds so understated, but I really mean that. Thanks.

I really feel much better already. Today is day 7, so I am just shy of a compete week. I am getting used to not snacking (the hardest part for me), and really feel better in my body with eating less often.

I have also dropped 5 lbs already. I have only about another 5 to possibly lose, but I don't really care about that. My weight will fall out where my body wants it to. What I care about really is having a better relationship with food. I feel like I am on my way.

Holocene

Post by Holocene » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:51 am

Keep it up! :D
deep roots are not reached by the frost.

wxwoman

Post by wxwoman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:28 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, much appreciated. Based on the feedback I have received, I'm glad I decided to fess up.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:14 am

Just wanted to add that what's normal for humans is to overeat when exposed to excessive food with no outside-such as cultural- curtailment, and especially to highly palatable- read packaged and a lot of restaurant- food. Sixty-six percent rate of overweight in this country is proof of that. In fact, WHO has reported that no country not affected by famine or war has NOT gone up in average weight in the past few decades.

It is not normal to eat willy nilly and stay slim. Never feel guilty or inferior for needing guidelines. ALL slim cultures do it. And they LOVE food. You will, too.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Elizabeth 7

Post by Elizabeth 7 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:33 am

Welcome back! It's great to see you post. Believe it or not, it was your success story with modification (2 s days per week, not both on the weekend) as well as another success story with before and after pictures that really motivated me to give this a real try. Your approach REALLY makes this easier to stick to for me. I am losing about one pound a week, which feels like watching paint dry, but it's so painless I have to just be grateful I am losing anything. Again, welcome back!

wxwoman

Post by wxwoman » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:14 pm

Hi Elizabeth 7,

I'm glad my post helped you out. I an doing the same thing this time. I find it easier to stick to No S by spreading out the S days. First, one does not have to wait so long for a reward. Also, there is not as much of a desperate urge to go wild on S days, because the next one is not that far away. I am doing Wed and Sat.

It's been a week and a half now, and I am doing well. Down 6 lbs. It will be slower from here, but as I mentioned above, I am fine with that. I just want to be done with dieting, counting, obsessing, etc. The freedom associated with getting rid of all the eating baggage is the true benefit of this plan. The weight will take care of itself.